PDA

View Full Version : Daunte Culpepper Pulls a Favre

GB12
10-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Daunte Culpepper, who retired a couple months ago, now wants to play again. Sound familiar?

Anyways, where does he end up? Quite a few possibilities at the moment

The Moss connection in New England seems to be the one people want to see, but Cassel hasn't been that bad and has the Pats at a 4-2 record.
Then there's the return to Minnesota. The Vikings need a QB badly and surely he'd be better than Gus Ferotte and Tarvaris Jackson. That relationship might not be repairable though.
Detroit certainly could use a QB and he could get back into the NFC North.
Kansas City has been hit hard with injuries at quarterback, which makes them my pick
Carson Palmer is banged up which could make Cincinatti a possibility
Seattle has started Seneca Wallace and Charlie Fry the past two weeks
JT O'Sullivan sucks. And I just found out what the JT stands for

Dr. Gonzo
10-23-2008, 06:39 PM
This is not pulling a Favre at all. What Favre did to the Packers is much more awesome than Culpepper being a FA and deciding he will now allow a team to sign him. I am still annoyed that teams were willing to give up something for Favre :(

LonghornsLegend
10-23-2008, 06:40 PM
Who actually believed Culpepper retired for real? I didn't even take the initial retirement he had serious.

skinzzfan25
10-23-2008, 06:42 PM
He'll end up back at his couch.

Why would he go to KC, is he out of money or something?

CC.SD
10-23-2008, 06:52 PM
Wow, no one saw this coming...

PoopSandwich
10-23-2008, 07:10 PM
I doubt he goes to a team that sucks unless he needs the money, he might end up in NE possibly as a back-up.

Smokey Joe
10-23-2008, 07:37 PM
He'll go to either Seattle, New England, or San Francisco. It'd make absolutely no sense for any team like the Lions to sign him.

TitleTown088
10-23-2008, 10:02 PM
Pulls a Favre? Brett Favre retired when he was still good, and would be wanted wanted by teams. I don't see how this is a Favre move at all.

Bengalsrocket
10-23-2008, 11:08 PM
I don't really care that you spelled it wrong, but it's Cincinnati for future reference.

I honestly have no clue who would want an old, out of shape, unfamiliar QB who has no current knowledge of your playbook / system / team at this point in the season.

Cincinnati has no reason to pay money on the off chance that Culpepper could actually give us a win or two.

I feel the same way about Kansas City. With three QB injuries last week, I assume they're just trying to keep any QB on the field they can, and they're not looking to overpay for it.

New England is having moderate success right now, and I don't think Bellichick likes bringing in new QB's that don't know his playbook very well.

I have no clue about SF, Minny, Seattle or Detroit though.

Dr. Gonzo
10-23-2008, 11:09 PM
I don't really care that you spelled it wrong, but it's Cincinnati for future reference.

I honestly have no clue who would want an old, out of shape, unfamiliar QB who has no current knowledge of your playbook / system / team at this point in the season.

Cincinnati has no reason to pay money on the off chance that Culpepper could actually give us a win or two.

I feel the same way about Kansas City. With three QB injuries last week, I assume they're just trying to keep any QB on the field they can, and they're not looking to overpay for it.

New England is having moderate success right now, and I don't think Bellichick likes bringing in new QB's that don't know his playbook very well.

I have no clue about SF, Minny, Seattle or Detroit though.

There is zero chance he comes back to Minny. Childress and Culpepper hate the hell out of each other.

SuperKevin
10-23-2008, 11:09 PM
I have yet to see Daunte Culpepper's Wrangler commercial

PackerLegend
10-23-2008, 11:12 PM
C-PEP ****ing broke like the Madden 2003 2 min drill record..... WTF people who wouldn't want him for that awesomeness. Plus he just keeps rolling on and on and on

The Dynasty
10-23-2008, 11:17 PM
He wont end up in Minnesota. Childress was the coach that traded him because he didnt think culpepper didnt want to change and learn the system. I would like to see it but I highly doubt it.

I saw this on PFT but they said Denver which is a thought as being a back up because Ramsey is out for the year and Cutler got hurt in the New England Game.

If I would take a guess i would say Kansas City, Its the best place for him to become a starter in the league once again.

Trojanback02
10-23-2008, 11:42 PM
I have yet to see Daunte Culpepper's Wrangler commercial

Im not sure he'd be able to pick apart that defense without Moss out there with him.

Menardo75
10-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Promise you he will not be wearing the red and gold.

awfullyquiet
10-24-2008, 12:01 AM
Don't forget that Kevin OConnell, who i think is going to be quite the pro player will probably get a shot in NE next year.

Menardo75
10-24-2008, 12:14 AM
I think when he does he will be a very good player. Really liked him a lot during the draft time.

Zyro_1014
10-24-2008, 12:16 AM
Promise you he will not be wearing the red and gold.

he would look damn good tho! ;)

Menardo75
10-24-2008, 12:20 AM
he would look damn good tho! ;)

No no I don't think so sir.

Shane P. Hallam
10-24-2008, 12:21 AM
Nowhere in my opinion.

Zyro_1014
10-24-2008, 12:25 AM
No no I don't think so sir.

he would look good as a gladiator!

awfullyquiet
10-24-2008, 12:33 AM
he would look good as a gladiator!

right.

I can think of a few NFL Europa teams who would love to have him. Wait? There are none? Oh. Nevermind. Join the peace core c-peps.

Zyro_1014
10-24-2008, 12:35 AM
right.

I can think of a few NFL Europa teams who would love to have him. Wait? There are none? Oh. Nevermind. Join the peace core c-peps.

inside joke lol.....wasnt talkin about NFL Europe.

awfullyquiet
10-24-2008, 12:44 AM
inside joke lol.....wasnt talkin about NFL Europe.

i was making a 'clever joke'. was there even a gladiators team in nfl europe? no. i think it was 'centurions'. either way. crack open a beer for culpepper!

locseti
10-24-2008, 12:46 AM
Culpepper has a bad agent.

Menardo75
10-24-2008, 12:50 AM
Culpepper has bad everything nowadays.

holt_bruce81
10-24-2008, 12:53 AM
No one will take him, he'll get a few calls but no one will sign him. He's been done.

SuperKevin
10-24-2008, 12:54 AM
I think if he's willing to take a backup job he could get a look but I think his ego is looking for a starting job

awfullyquiet
10-24-2008, 01:03 AM
I think if he's willing to take a backup job he could get a look but I think his ego is looking for a starting job

of which i think dallas is looking, clearly.

vidae
10-24-2008, 01:03 AM
We just signed Quinn Gray so I doubt he'll end up in KC. Anything can happen though.

awfullyquiet
10-24-2008, 01:06 AM
We just signed Quinn Gray so I doubt he'll end up in KC. Anything can happen though.

quinn gray > culjalapeno

diabsoule
10-24-2008, 06:44 AM

I like Quinn Gray. I'm surprised he's not a starter on some team.

umphrey
10-24-2008, 11:56 AM
I could see Detroit. He fits their passing attack pretty well, return to the NFCN and they don't have a QB for now or for the future. Culpepper gets his starting job, for half a season anyway.

Detroit doesn't want to lose 16 games this year...

Culpepper might bring them 1 or 2 wins that they realistically might not get without him. Plus they have someone to play if their 1st round QB isn't ready to start.

Matthew Jones
10-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Culpepper doesn't have an agent.

FlyingElvis
10-24-2008, 01:05 PM
^lol - me thinks you missed the joke.

Comparing him to Favre - even if only on the basis that he retired and wants to come back - is silly. Favre decided to retire then changed his mind.

Pep was forced to retire b/c nobody wanted him.

His crappy agent can't seem to get it through his thick head that no team will hand him a starting job, and most teams are smart enough to not even allow him to compete for the starting job.

He stays "retired", imo, because he will pull the same crap with any team that brings him in regardless of how bleak that team's QB situation looks. Hiring him is like actively seeking a rare form of cancer. Why bring him in just to have him start pissing & moaning if he can't win the # 1 spot?

P-L
10-24-2008, 01:31 PM
I don't see the Lions signing him. We put Jon Kitna on IR because we wanted to see what Orlovsky and Stanton could do. Why sign a washed up vet?

T-RICH49
10-26-2008, 04:35 PM
Jay Glazer this morning on the Fox Pregame said Culpepper was coming to KC for a visit Tuesday to work out and take a physical and if he passed the physical he could be signed by Wednesday

giantsfan
10-26-2008, 04:52 PM
Culpepper has a bad agent.

It's tough to be a good agent when the "talent" you've signed doesn't actually have any talent.

JF4
10-26-2008, 04:55 PM
It's tough to be a good agent when the "talent" you've signed doesn't actually have any talent.

Culpepper is his own agent.

He was trying to make a joke.

giantsfan
10-26-2008, 04:56 PM
Culpepper is his own agent.

He was trying to make a joke.

See I jsut haven't paid any attention to C-pep since he lost his gravy train in Minnesota.

CJSchneider
10-26-2008, 05:27 PM
Culpepper is a beat up clunker and it's prom night.
Who the hell wants that? Answwer, no one!

Splat
10-27-2008, 03:00 PM
Daunte Culpepper: Could Sign With Chiefs (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=rotowire-aunteulpepperouldign&prov=rotowire&type=fantasy)

The Great Jonathan Vilma
10-27-2008, 03:07 PM
i doubt he goes to any of them. Why have a guy come out of the blue mid season, try to learn the playbook, and pay a guy more money when you have nothing to play for? Maybe San Fran? I don't see anyone else fitting the bill, at least on first glance...

Gay Ork Wang
10-27-2008, 03:28 PM
Broncos backup`?

SuperKevin
10-27-2008, 03:29 PM
After watching Thigpen yesterday, the Chiefs might not want to sign Culpepper just yet

Brent
10-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Don't forget that Kevin O'Connell, who i think is going to be quite the pro player will probably get a shot in NE next year.
Shh, I am hoping no one knows about him and he comes to SF in the future.

Brent
10-27-2008, 03:36 PM
After watching Thigpen yesterday, the Chiefs might not want to sign Culpepper just yet
I dont know about that. Favre had to throw 3 INTs, one for a TD, just so the Chiefs could stay in that one.

T-RICH49
10-27-2008, 03:47 PM
I dont know about that. Favre had to throw 3 INTs, one for a TD, just so the Chiefs could stay in that one.

Thigpen played pretty darn well actually.

Splat
10-27-2008, 03:57 PM

Thigpen was 25 for 36 and threw 2 TD's with no int's I'm not sold on the kid yet either but he had a pretty good game.

FlyingElvis
10-27-2008, 04:11 PM
See I jsut haven't paid any attention to C-pep since he lost his gravy train in Minnesota.

I thought it was a gravy boat, no?

zing!

Splat
10-28-2008, 08:29 AM
I just saw on the ESPN ticker that Culpepper canceled his interview with the Chiefs he has decided to talk with another unknown team?

iloxygenil
10-28-2008, 09:29 AM
Wow, that sucks, I anticipated him being a Chief...

Splat
10-28-2008, 10:03 AM
Wow, that sucks, I anticipated him being a Chief...

PFT is saying the unknown team is Det but that is PFT so who knows.

WMD
10-28-2008, 10:22 AM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/10/culpepperindetroit_rumors_pers.html (http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2008/10/culpepperindetroit_rumors_pers.html#more)

Daunte Culpepper is in Detroit today.

MetSox17
10-28-2008, 11:43 AM
I'd like to ask Culpepper to define "better".

WMD
10-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Here's my definition of better - Calvin Johnson.

But I don't see why we're trying to sign him. Wasted money. Orlovsky is meh, but we need to see what we have in Stanton.

tjsunstein
10-28-2008, 02:17 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3668988

Quarterback Daunte Culpepper visited the Detroit Lions Tuesday morning and has initiated contract negotiations following a workout.

Talks are in the beginning stage and Culpepper has not made any salary demands. Culpepper left the Lions facility without agreeing to a contract, but he indicated that he will stay in contact with the team.

On Tuesday morning, Culpepper, who announced last week he was coming out of retirement, notified the Chiefs he is looking at the Lions more than the Chiefs.

The Chiefs contacted Culpepper last week and he was intrigued enough to come out of retirement and consider a visit to Kansas City.

That visit didn't happen, and each side has gone its separate way.

Culpepper labeled his workout with the Lions a good one.

Senior writer John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

Splat
10-28-2008, 02:52 PM
Here's my definition of better - Calvin Johnson.

Calvin Johnson - 77 rec 1,344 yards 9 TD's

Dwayne Bowe - 110 rec 1,507 yards 7 TD's

In one and a half seasons.

:)

The Dynasty
10-28-2008, 02:58 PM

Almost the same stats with less Receptions. I would also say Calvin but they are both very good on bad teams which hurts them.

Splat
10-28-2008, 03:12 PM
CJ is a beast but its closer then some people would make it out to be CJ gets alot of hype for being a freakish athlete he is also better then Bo on Madden and now a days that how "some" fans judge players. :)

MaxV
10-28-2008, 09:46 PM
Lions, repeat after me:

R. E. B. U. I. L. D.

Maybe this is just an instinct, but I doubt that Culpepper is a long-term solution.

the_legend_killer
10-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Maybe Detroit is "better" because he wants a shot at Chilly over in Minnesota.

LonghornsLegend
10-28-2008, 09:59 PM
CJ is a beast but its closer then some people would make it out to be CJ gets alot of hype for being a freakish athlete he is also better then Bo on Madden and now a days that how "some" fans judge players. :)

You would probably trade Bowe for CJ straight up if you could even if it is close...Both are very good WR's, but I think everyone can admit CJ has a much higher ceiling for how great he can become, measuring the stats right now isn't giving you a clear picture...Bowe has been the clear #1 option at WR since he was drafted and Calvin has just now become that option, both teams have crap offenses and both are probably pro bowlers, Calvin could be exciting enough for Daunte but who knows, I doubt he even has time to sit back there and chunk it deep.

GB12
10-28-2008, 10:11 PM

Those stats really kill your argument...

gsorace
10-29-2008, 11:28 AM
Those stats really kill your argument...

I was thinking the same thing

Splat
10-29-2008, 12:50 PM
I'm not sitting hear and saying Bo is for sure better but people want to make it out to be a lock that CJ is better and I disagree its alot closer then people think.

SuperKevin
10-29-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm not sitting hear and saying Bo is for sure better but people want to make it out to be a lock that CJ is better and I disagree its alot closer then people think.

It shows Bowe is thrown to more but CJ makes bigger plays. If you were to project Calvin's stats to have 110 receptions he'd have 1920 yards and 13 TDs.

Turtlepower
10-29-2008, 01:00 PM
It shows Bowe is thrown to more but CJ makes bigger plays. If you were to project Calvin's stats to have 1100 receptions he'd have 19,200 yards and 130 TDs.

I fixed some numbers for you.

Splat
10-29-2008, 01:04 PM
It shows Bowe is thrown to more but CJ makes bigger plays. If you were to project Calvin's stats to have 110 receptions he'd have 1920 yards and 13 TDs.

If the Chiefs EVER went down field Bo would make bigger plays then he does now but in till Herm and his run,run pass punt O is gone not going to happen.:(

Starvsnr
11-01-2008, 06:10 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3676865

He is a Lions now.

mil_brew_fan
11-01-2008, 06:43 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3676865

He is a Lions now.

Yeah, two year contract. To say Daunte pulled a Favre would be wrong. It wasn't too long ago Daunte threw for a ton of touchdowns; he still has game, he just has to get in the right system. Being in Oakland or going down to Miami, he was doomed to fail. Now he's in Detroit, which is just as bad, but he's familiar with the NFC North, and he has Calvin Johnson.

Bengalsrocket
11-01-2008, 06:58 PM
If the Chiefs EVER went down field Bo would make bigger plays then he does now but in till Herm and his run,run pass punt O is gone not going to happen.:(

^^This. The style of offense the lions have ran has allowed Calvin to make much bigger plays than Dwayne.

Certainly I'm not arguing over who's potential is higher, because Calvin's physical measurements are better than Bowe's (though it's not like physical measurements mean everything in this game). However, their current production has been about the same, giving that they play in different systems with different surrounding casts.

If you take into consideration that both have different coaches, play books and they almost played different positions for the last 20 odd games or so.

Calvin Johnson was basically a #2 for Detroit. This means, that while he may get less catches he will also get worse coverage (the stats indicate that).

Dwayne Bowe was basically a #1 for KC. He got a lot of looks, but his average goes down as team's start to cover him harder (the stats indicate that).

If I had to pick one, I'd take Calvin Johnson right now - but I don't think it's a for sure thing. How quickly Bowe was able to help that struggling KC offense was a rare thing, and if he can continue that development he could be a special player in this league.

CJSchneider
11-01-2008, 08:43 PM
OK Lions fans, do they draft a young QB to be tutored by Kitna and Culpepper or address another area of concern with their first round pick?

Xiomera
11-01-2008, 08:55 PM
OK Lions fans, do they draft a young QB to be tutored by Kitna and Culpepper or address another area of concern with their first round pick?

I say no they do not. I hope they go DE and OT in the first round.

PACKmanN
11-01-2008, 09:02 PM
Smart move, save Stanton and don't risk him. Culpepper will play now and Stanton will be the future.

d34ng3l021
11-01-2008, 09:04 PM
If they are picking number 1 overall, then I would think they still go for Matthew Stafford. Stafford does need a bit of refining, and sitting a year behind Culpepper or Kitna can do that.

Orakpo/Hardy or Monroe/Oher are still possibilities.

ElectricEye
11-01-2008, 09:15 PM
I actually kind of think Culpepper has an opportunity to make the Lions think about drafting a quarterback in the first round. He's in a very good situation, with that offense and those receivers. If he's healthy, this is his best chance to be productive out of any place he's been post-Vikings.

PACKmanN
11-01-2008, 09:18 PM
http://spartansportsunleashed.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/drewster.jpg

Hi world, did everyone forget about Drew Stanton? This just even more proves that he is there future.

P-L
11-01-2008, 09:38 PM
http://spartansportsunleashed.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/drewster.jpg

Hi world, did everyone forget about Drew Stanton? This just even more proves that he is there future.
Our offensive coordinator recently said he's not ready to play without embarrassing himself. Those weren't his exact words but he did use the phrase "embarrassing himself." He's just going to be another Millen bust.

Stash
11-01-2008, 09:45 PM
Culpepper + Lions pass protection = YIKES. Keep the paramedics on speed dial.

GB12
11-01-2008, 09:49 PM
Even if they do draft a QB they shouldn't let Kitna tutor him.

MJK
11-01-2008, 10:23 PM
I want a guarantee from Culpepper.

WMD
11-02-2008, 12:04 AM
Daunte GUARANTEES he has no more ligaments left to tear.

Brodeur
11-02-2008, 12:08 AM
Even if they do draft a QB they shouldn't let Kitna tutor him.

Worked fine for Palmer.