PDA

View Full Version : do as da coach says.

awfullyquiet
10-24-2008, 01:43 AM
da coach says:

want this to quit being a pansy league? want to increase player safety?

get rid of face masks.

discuss.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/23/ditka-advocates-dumping-facemasks/

Bruce Banner
10-24-2008, 01:44 AM
A moron coming forth with a moronic solution. Nothing to see here.

awfullyquiet
10-24-2008, 01:57 AM
A moron coming forth with a moronic solution. Nothing to see here.

reduces head-to-head collisions. i don't see what's moronic about that.

Bruce Banner
10-24-2008, 01:58 AM
I swear this thread was just closed.

anyways....

Was he that good of a coach?

Dr. Gonzo
10-24-2008, 02:04 AM
I swear this thread was just closed.

AQ has a lot of pull around these parts.

Bruce Banner
10-24-2008, 02:05 AM

*Goes to IRC*

*Hey JBond, why as my thread closed?*

*Do you think it was a good thread?*

*Well.......I AM a girl!*

awfullyquiet
10-24-2008, 02:08 AM

It's true.

Ditka was a great head coach. He wasn't a genius offensive mind, he just knew how to run a team better than a LOT of coaches have over the past 20 years. He's 'savvy' if you will... a coaches coach. It also helped having buddy ryan as your DC.

d34ng3l021
10-24-2008, 02:12 AM
Most definitely not. With increasing issues about long term effects of football, you cant just remove the facemask (wow. I typed facebook) in order for the game to be less pansy. Want to make it less pansy? Less penalties and fines.

awfullyquiet
10-24-2008, 02:12 AM
*Goes to IRC*

*Hey JBond, why as my thread closed?*

*Do you think it was a good thread?*

*Well.......I AM a girl!*

true story. at least first half. the second half is true, but it never happened.

i personally like this part of the article

ďA lot of pretty boys arenít going to stick their face in there. If youíre going to take hitting out of football, you might as well just call it soccer. Thatís what I believe. A lot of people will be disappointed I said that, but football is what it is. [Vince] Lombardi said it a long time ago. Football is not a contact game. Dancing is a contact game. Football is a collision sport.Ē

pretty boy to me means tom brady. which i think would be funny, tom brady with a broken nose may turn into marlon brando.

awfullyquiet
10-24-2008, 02:15 AM
Most definitely not. With increasing issues about long term effects of football, you cant just remove the facemask (wow. I typed facebook) in order for the game to be less pansy. Want to make it less pansy? Less penalties and fines.

think of it this way. players won't then launch their faces into other players. they won't lead with the helmet. they're less likely to poke players eyes out (ala vince wilfork) because of the ease of retribution and ability..

Bruce Banner
10-24-2008, 02:17 AM
think of it this way. players won't then launch their faces into other players. they won't lead with the helmet. they're less likely to poke players eyes out (ala vince wilfork) because of the ease of retribution and ability..

Ideally they won't lead with their helmet....but helmet to face hits will happen...intentionally or not.

d34ng3l021
10-24-2008, 02:17 AM

Its going to happen somehow. You can't prevent one part of your body from being hit at all. All you can do is make it less painful.

Bengalsrocket
10-24-2008, 02:31 AM
Maybe I'm confused? 4 of my 5 senses are attached to my head meanwhile 3 of which the face mask directly cover, and my head is one of the first things I attempt to protect in a dangerous situation. If no one had face masks, wouldn't they all be spending their time trying to protect their face instead of trying to make hard hits or big plays?

It seems like this idea would turn football players into bigger pansies.

awfullyquiet
10-24-2008, 02:31 AM
Ideally they won't lead with their helmet....but helmet to face hits will happen...intentionally or not.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/carsonblood.JPG

does it matter?

Bruce Banner
10-24-2008, 02:32 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/carsonblood.JPG

does it matter?

That's better than full face reconstruction.

awfullyquiet
10-24-2008, 02:33 AM
That's better than full face reconstruction.

that's cheap.

staph infections are expensive!

Bengalsrocket
10-24-2008, 02:34 AM
That picture is so misleading anyways. If he didn't have a face mask on it would be much worse.

awfullyquiet
10-24-2008, 02:37 AM
That picture is so misleading anyways. If he didn't have a face mask on it would be much worse.

oh i know. but it'd be more awesome!

carson palmer would be even more of a badass in my book if that happened!

Bengalsrocket
10-24-2008, 02:38 AM
oh i know. but it'd be more awesome!

carson palmer would be even more of a badass in my book if that happened!

Nothing's more badass than standing behind 5 guys who can't protect you at all!

awfullyquiet
10-24-2008, 02:39 AM
Nothing's more badass than standing behind 5 guys who can't protect you at all!

Oh i know. It's why i have the utmost respect for jon kitna... it takes a real man to get beat up over 100 times by some of the most powerful d-lines in the game.

Bengalsrocket
10-24-2008, 02:41 AM
Oh i know. It's why i have the utmost respect for jon kitna... it takes a real man to get beat up over 100 times by some of the most powerful d-lines in the game.

Jon Kitna is a warrior. It's a shame he's not a very good QB also, though :(

diabsoule
10-24-2008, 06:43 AM
It's true.

Ditka was a great head coach. He wasn't a genius offensive mind, he just knew how to run a team better than a LOT of coaches have over the past 20 years. He's 'savvy' if you will... a coaches coach. It also helped having buddy ryan as your DC.

Buddy Ryan was the only reason Ditka was a successful head coach.

MetSox17
10-24-2008, 11:58 AM
I didn't know people paid attention to what Mike Ditka had to say.

giantsfan
10-24-2008, 12:49 PM
Da coach is right. This league would be so much tougher and there'd be so many good game is we just eliminated face masks. It'd would take Kellen Winslow sized balls just to step on the field, and your special teams guys would have to be straight up insane.

Bruce Banner
10-24-2008, 01:34 PM
Da coach is right. This league would be so much tougher and there'd be so many good game is we just eliminated face masks. It'd would take Kellen Winslow sized balls just to step on the field, and your special teams guys would have to be straight up insane.

Stick to hallucinogens.

giantsfan
10-24-2008, 01:45 PM
Stick to hallucinogens.

I would love to watch football games knowing that the only people willing to be gunners on a coverage team are guys that are straight up batshitinsane. games would be so entertaining. I like football players who aren't out there trying to outskill or out run people but rather guys who are only out there because you could break their legs and their life priorites or so twisted that they'll still punch a medic for saying they can't return to the game. Think the coach from not another teen movie when big boy gets that concussion and all the coach asks is "can he play"

Granted this type of a move would be a better idea for an XFL or whatever that new league they're trying to start.

yourfavestoner
10-24-2008, 02:00 PM
Stick to hallucinogens.

My favorite.

The Unseen
10-24-2008, 07:34 PM
My favorite.

I also concur. Some guy recently came out saying he pitched his MLB no-hitter on LSD (IIRC). amazin.

BlindSite
10-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Face Masks cannot be removed, unless the tackle laws are completely changed, and if you do that you might as well remove the helmets and shoulder pads all together.

Xonraider
10-24-2008, 09:53 PM
reduces head-to-head collisions. i don't see what's moronic about that.

Yeah but when players do hit each other head to head, the collisions will be worse.

Bruce Banner
10-24-2008, 09:54 PM
http://www.lagooner.com/images/redfish-women.jpg

Oh look!

She caught some!

yourfavestoner
10-25-2008, 02:15 AM
http://www.lagooner.com/images/redfish-women.jpg

Oh look!

She caught some!

That is a huge red drum.

rainbeaukid2
10-25-2008, 02:29 AM
okay, here's one for you. who would win in a fight, ditka or a hurricane?
but wait!! the hurricane is named hurricane ditka