PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 2009 RB prospects ranked for NFL performance

BrabbitMcRabbit
10-24-2008, 01:01 PM
Which backs in this class will have the best NFL careers when it's all said and done?

My guesses:

1. LeSean McCoy - Lacks great size, but his superior cuts, vision, and burst will make him a productive player at the next level if he can keep his head on straight. Reggie Bush with better vision and less pure speed.

2. CJ Spiller - Misuse has obscured his impressive talent. Has the best burst and speed of any top back in this draft class. Could be a Chris Johnson type of player at the pro level. May even have more upside since he's bigger.

3. Knowshon Moreno - A lesser hybrid of Cadillac Williams and Marshawn Lynch. Doesn't have much "wow" factor, but does everything well and should be a solid backup at worst. I see him as a low YPC workhorse type at the next level. Hard running may get him hurt.

4. Shonn Greene - Rudi Johnson clone. Marginal speed will keep him out of the first round, but powerful frame and surprising fluidity will allow him to exceed expectations at the pro level.

5. Chris Wells - Biggest enigma in this group. Looks great at times, but doesn't have elite agility, takes too many hard hits, and has long bow-legs. Could spend a lot of time on the injured list at the next level. Has star potential, but is a much greater risk than common wisdom would suggest.

OTHERS:
James Davis - Too mediocre to make a big impact in the NFL.
Stafon Johnson - Good vision, power, and cuts. Long speed is a question mark.
DeMarco Murray - Flashy runner with limited bulk and power. Situational back.
Javon Ringer - Simply doesn't have the athletic gifts to make the transition.
Charles Scott - A lesser version of Chris Wells. Better durability though.

Thoughts?

TickOffOurBestPlayer
10-24-2008, 01:06 PM
1. Charles Scott
2. Chris Wells
3. LeSean McCoy
4. Knowshon Moreno
5. Marlon Lucky

tjsunstein
10-24-2008, 01:09 PM
Depends what teams they land on..

1. Spiller
2. Wells
3. McCoy
4. Moreno
5. James Davis

Sleepers:
Brandon Ore
Devin Moore

georgiafan
10-24-2008, 01:21 PM
1. Chris Wells

2. Moreno

3. Charles Scott

4. C.J Spiller

5. Mccoy

Cigaro
10-24-2008, 05:16 PM
1. Chris Wells
2. Knowshon Moreno
3. Donald Brown
4. Ian Johnson
5. LeSean McCoy
6. Javon Ringer

awfullyquiet
10-24-2008, 06:01 PM
doesn't matter. if they end up on the lions, they'll still only manage 3.1 ypc.

holt_bruce81
10-24-2008, 06:46 PM
LeSean McCoy and Knowshon Moreno are going to be pimps at the next level.

jnew76
10-24-2008, 06:56 PM
I think Javon Ringer is quickly becoming one of the most underrated players in this draft.

I like his bulk for his height. He has great balance and flexibility with good explosion through the hole. I have a 2nd round grade on Ringer and I think he will have a much better career than many of the more highly rated backs in this class.

Loggerhead
10-24-2008, 07:19 PM
Ringer kind of reminds me a little of Ray Rice. Like Rice people are questioning his speed but he is workhorse back who should be a solid starter at the next level.

d34ng3l021
10-24-2008, 07:26 PM
Chris Wells is going to very good (4ish pro bowls) at the next level. I dont see how people think so otherwise. He doesn't do anything flashy, but that doesnt matter. He runs hard, has good acceleration, decent agility, and amazing vision. That will be all he needs for the next level, barring a bad situation.

BrabbitMcRabbit
10-24-2008, 07:31 PM
I think Javon Ringer is quickly becoming one of the most underrated players in this draft.

I like his bulk for his height. He has great balance and flexibility with good explosion through the hole. I have a 2nd round grade on Ringer and I think he will have a much better career than many of the more highly rated backs in this class.

I don't think he has enough speed and burst to get away with being a 205-210 pound back. He just doesn't have the top shelf athletic ability of a starting NFL RB .

Vox Populi
10-24-2008, 07:45 PM
What about Graig Cooper??

etk
10-25-2008, 06:22 PM
McCoy - frustrating inside runner...may struggle with his running style
Spiller - effective inside or outside with big-play potential....will be part of a 2-back system
Moreno - running style could lead to injuries, otherwise he should be a solid every-down guy
Greene - i like his chances as a power back on the right team
Wells - good back, but overrated a bunch. doesn't have the ideal lower body for a power back

Tough to pinpoint a bust in this group, but equally as tough to pick a sure thing. I like Greene's chances for a career, while Spiller should have the best YPC. We could see different backs shine every year from this class.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-25-2008, 06:47 PM
Ringer kind of reminds me a little of Ray Rice. Like Rice people are questioning his speed but he is workhorse back who should be a solid starter at the next level.

And to me, Ringer looks just like JJ Arrington. He doesn't create much yardage for himself, but he's versatile and runs through the middle very efficiently. I don't see a premier back, but he could be a nice 2 in a 1-2 punch.

gunner13
10-26-2008, 09:48 PM
The best thing about Ringer is that he doesn't dance up to the line. He hits holes very well and I can see him being a 3rd-4th round pick next season that has some immediate success because of this. I'm not so confident in his long-term NFL ability. I think he will be closer to the 215-range come combine time as well. If you look at him last season, and look at him this season, he is noticeably bigger this season. He is listed as 200 lbs. both seasons.

Pokeys
10-26-2008, 09:59 PM
McCoy is going to be a keeper, don't sleep on him...

Any love for Jahvid Best hes silly fast. Runs 100 Meters in 10.31 ... Doesn't break many tackles though... :(

giantsfan
10-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Knowshon's my number 1. His vision and agility to make sharp cuts its just nasty. He might not have the breakaway speed to be a great home run threat or have the size to run over defenses but he'll make people miss and get positive yardage with his quick feet and vision.

McCoy's my number 2 back because he's also got incredibly fast feat and great agility to make his cuts.

Chris Wells injury concerns a bother, but he's still a future workhorse back who'll contend for the NFL rushing crown during his career.