PDA

View Full Version : Possible that Jimmy Clausen comes out early?

Axl Rose
10-24-2008, 07:25 PM
If next years QB class looks weak, do you think Jimmy Clausen will come out early? I really think next year Jimmy will explode since ND will be stacked at all the skills positions plus have 4 out of the 5 lineman back.

Jimmy took a lot of crap last year but this year hes made incredible progression. I think when all is said and done he will have lived up to the hype.

d34ng3l021
10-24-2008, 07:27 PM
Its pretty impossible to live up to the hype given to Clausen, but it just depends on how his next season is. Its too early to decide.

MetSox17
10-24-2008, 08:49 PM
Yeah, there's no way to know whether he'll amount to anything. If he has a very solid year this year, and next season he comes out and is Heisman-esque, then yeah, he pretty much has all the tools you look for.

keylime_5
10-24-2008, 08:57 PM
track record for success of QBs who only played 3 years of college can't be that good. He'd be smart to stay four.

Axl Rose
10-24-2008, 09:20 PM
track record for success of QBs who only played 3 years of college can't be that good. He'd be smart to stay four.

Its a little difference since Jimmy would be older than most juniors.

underscore
10-24-2008, 09:37 PM
Clausen is eligible for social security next year, though.

Jimmy
10-24-2008, 09:52 PM
rumor has it that he might next week
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a8/Wall_Closet.jpg/418px-Wall_Closet.jpg

princefielder28
10-24-2008, 09:56 PM
He has not played up to the level that would warrant him to even think about declaring next year; 4 years is gonna be the path

jnew76
10-24-2008, 11:09 PM
This thread = 10 Months early

CashmoneyDrew
10-24-2008, 11:39 PM

It's my understanding that success of a QB in the NFL is more dependent on number of starts (30) as opposed to number of years. Completion percentage (60% or higher) is a good indicator as well.

Icelandic49er
10-25-2008, 03:10 PM
He has not played up to the level that would warrant him to even think about declaring next year; 4 years is gonna be the path

I agree, 4 years is the only path for Clausen

regoob2
10-25-2008, 03:21 PM
No way he should come out next year. He still has a long way to go until he is NFL ready. He would be smart to stay all 4 years.

Babylon
10-25-2008, 04:01 PM
No way he should come out next year. He still has a long way to go until he is NFL ready. He would be smart to stay all 4 years.

I think he has to, he looks a little short and sort of has to wind up to throw the ball down the field. He has great young receivers so he should be able to put up big numbers but if he werent a great highschooler this subject probably wouldnt even come up.

keylime_5
10-25-2008, 04:18 PM
It's my understanding that success of a QB in the NFL is more dependent on number of starts (30) as opposed to number of years. Completion percentage (60% or higher) is a good indicator as well.

still, if you're a redshirt junior or senior you've been in the system for four to five years as opposed to only three. Same deal as Brady Quinn, he's gonna be much better off having stayed four than if he only stayed three.

Texas Homer
10-27-2008, 11:39 PM
NO. I do not think it is a possibility he comes out early. He needs all 4 years in my opinion.If he stays all 4 years, then I could see him having a big Sr. season.

steelersfan43
10-27-2008, 11:51 PM
Jimmy "Four Heismans" Clausen? Hes gotta stay if he wants to go in a decent round.

Menardo75
10-27-2008, 11:55 PM
He is still inconsistant in college no way should he leave yet.

tjsunstein
10-27-2008, 11:56 PM
Not coming out early, can't see Charlie condoning it. Dayne Christ is going to be better than him though, also probably two years early but I'm calling it.

Babylon
10-28-2008, 12:03 AM
Not coming out early, can't see Charlie condoning it. Dayne Christ is going to be better than him though, also probably two years early but I'm calling it.

Dane Crist. Not sure why he would have gone there in the first place. I guess if he redhirts he'll still have two years but there could have been better places to get playing time you would think.

Menardo75
10-28-2008, 12:05 AM
I think Ryan Mallett is going to be a stud also.

doingthisinsteadofwork
10-28-2008, 12:20 AM
As someone else said this thread is way to early.How he plays this year is pretty irrelevant.So much of it depends on how he plays next year.

tjsunstein
10-28-2008, 01:19 AM
Dane Crist. Not sure why he would have gone there in the first place. I guess if he redhirts he'll still have two years but there could have been better places to get playing time you would think.

Dayne Crist (6-4, 233), we were both wrong in a way. Prestige and a Notre Dame education is enough for him to go there, he's going to be really good. Crist to Floyd is going to be something to watch for in 2 years. That is if Floyd doesnt declare early since he's on pace to break a bunch of ND freshmen recieving records.

Sniper
10-28-2008, 08:18 AM
I think Ryan Mallett is going to be a stud also.

Maybe once he learns that A) Not every pass is to be thrown 367 mph B) the concept of accuracy C) It's not okay to fumble every other snap

Sniper
10-28-2008, 08:24 AM
Clausen's going to have to cut down on the interceptions. 9 picks already this year, and he's faced some sub-par secondaries. I mean, come on, Morgan ******* Trent picked him off twice, and MFT sucks ass.

illmatic74
10-28-2008, 10:06 AM
He is my #1 QB prospect in the 2011 class in my book.

BuddyCHRIST
10-28-2008, 01:06 PM
Who cares, he's going to suck in the NFL. I would never draft such a premadonna as my quarterback.

Sniper
10-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Who cares, he's going to suck in the NFL. I would never draft such a premadonna as my quarterback.

Prima donna. He still has a shot to develop into a good prospect.

BuddyCHRIST
10-28-2008, 01:57 PM
knew it looked funny, I'm not even going to pretend I'm looking at him objectively. Hate Notre Dame and he's a douche.

illmatic74
10-28-2008, 02:31 PM
knew it looked funny, I'm not even going to pretend I'm looking at him objectively. Hate Notre Dame and he's a douche. I am a Notre Dame hater too but I think Clausen is a great prospect.

Sniper
10-28-2008, 02:38 PM
I am a Notre Dame hate too but I think Clausen is a great prospect.

Good, not great yet.

SenorGato
10-30-2008, 11:18 PM
Good, not great yet.

Theres a good shot he'll be the best pro prospect at the QB position next year.

In fact, considering who's coached him and his overall pedigree, he's got a chance to be a great QB prospect period.

Zyro_1014
10-31-2008, 12:36 AM
Clausen is dog ****. he has no buiness coming out early, because he isnt even the best QB on his own team. Dayne Christ should be the starting QB next year but i doubt that will happen. Clausen was all talk coming out of high school basically as a 20 yr old senior and playing in a private school in a weak ass conference.

Scott Wright
10-31-2008, 12:45 AM
Sam Bradford is obviously the top sophomore quarterback but I think you could make a strong case for Jimmy Clausen being #2.

He has already made huge strides from year one to year two and the difference in his arm strength now that he's healthy is noticable.

I'm not sure I'd peg him as an early entry candidate but he looks like the real deal to me.

Menardo75
10-31-2008, 02:09 AM
I did'nt think Clausen was even the best QB in his class. I thought Mallett was way better.

Zyro_1014
10-31-2008, 02:11 AM
I did'nt think Clausen was even the best QB in his class. I thought Mallett was way better.

without a doubt!

Sniper
10-31-2008, 05:44 AM
without a doubt!

Mallett needs to do a couple things before he can be considered a top prospect, such as....

1. Complete more than 43% of his passes
2. Not lose every other snap under center
3. Not hang onto the ball for three hours in the pocket
4. Not be the slowest QB to ever walk the Earth

He's got good tools, but to say he's ahead of Clausen right now is laughable.

Oh My God I defended a Notre Dame player ahead of a former UM player. What is this world coming to?

eaglesalltheway
10-31-2008, 11:57 AM
Mallett needs to do a couple things before he can be considered a top prospect, such as....

Oh My God I defended a Notre Dame player ahead of a former UM player. What is this world coming to?

In other news today... hell freezes over.

bored of education
10-31-2008, 12:06 PM
Theres a good shot he'll be the best pro prospect at the QB position next year.

In fact, considering who's coached him and his overall pedigree, he's got a chance to be a great QB prospect period.

or it could hurt him that he didn't put up godly numbers in a 'nfl' offense. he might be ahead of the learning curve, but you got to get results to prove ur ahead.

SenorGato
10-31-2008, 12:15 PM
or it could hurt him that he didn't put up godly numbers in a 'nfl' offense. he might be ahead of the learning curve, but you got to get results to prove ur ahead.

Physical skills? Check.

Pro style offense? Check.

Starting alot of games in college? Check.

Getting coached by a coach with a very good reputation as a QB coach? Check.

Of course he's got to let his resume grow, but Claussen's growth has been huge this year. He's got the tools, the pedigree, and the coaching to be a great QB prospect...and he's well on his way to getting that label IMO.

bored of education
10-31-2008, 12:17 PM
Physical skills? Check.

Pro style offense? Check.

Starting alot of games in college? Check.

Getting coached by a coach with a very good reputation as a QB coach? Check.

Of course he's got to let his resume grow, but Claussen's growth has been huge this year. He's got the tools, the pedigree, and the coaching to be a great QB prospect...and he's well on his way to getting that label IMO.

Intangibles????????????

bored of education
10-31-2008, 12:20 PM
he has the recipe for success but results, intangibles matter as much as those.

ElectricEye
10-31-2008, 12:29 PM
Clausen looks like the real deal to me right now. I still have some questions, but he's the best quarterback in his real class right now(minus redshirts). His arm has looked so much better this year, and he's a fairly accurate passer as well. To say that Dayne Crist is better right now is completely laughable. Clausen is poised for a monster year next year, with the emergence and progression of Notre Dame's talent on the outside.

Menardo75
10-31-2008, 02:09 PM

Yeah bro I expected better from you :(

Sniper
11-01-2008, 07:03 AM
Yeah bro I expected better from you :(

Sorry, but it's the truth. Mallett's got amazing potential but he's got **** for brains and a piss poor attitude too.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
11-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Intangibles????????????

Check, he's one of the leaders of that offense.

CLong4Heisman
11-01-2008, 10:07 PM
He's not going to be ready for the NFL at the end of next year. He still struggles making plays on the run, and he still hasn't quite figured out how to use touch ( see overtime play to Floyd).
That being said, at the end of his senior year, he should be a mid first round pick.

ElectricEye
11-01-2008, 10:17 PM
He can't come out this year. Even though he's a year older, he still needs to be three years removed from High School, which he is not. He should really stay the course.

CLong4Heisman
11-01-2008, 10:30 PM
He can't come out this year. Even though he's a year older, he still needs to be three years removed from High School, which he is not. He should really stay the course.

I know, he's a true soph. I agree that he should stay the course.

ElectricEye
11-01-2008, 10:33 PM
He wasn't at his best today. Still had good TD/Yardage/INT numbers, but he wasted a lot of plays today that really came back and bit them in the ass in that three point game. Most of it was because of all those overtimes anyway.

Cigaro
11-01-2008, 10:46 PM
I'm surprised to see so much hate for Clausen here. In my opinion, he has the best arm in all of college football. He's not the best quarterback, not even close, but he's at least got the best arm. He can throw a beautiful fade and rocket it in when needed, and do so accurately.

I think with his top targets coming back next year, Notre Dame will remain overrated but better overall, and Clausen will put on a show, and consequently come out early as an early first round pick.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
11-01-2008, 10:57 PM
and he still hasn't quite figured out how to use touch ( see overtime play to Floyd).

really? Clausen has great touch and uses it quite frequently. That one play he should've floated it in but in the most case he uses his touch well.

BBIB
11-03-2008, 11:53 AM
To leave school early you either have to be big on the national stage taking your team to some sort of BCS Bowl game.

Or you have to have outstanding production and/or physical talent.

Guys like Vince Young left because of their performance on the big stage.

A guy like Bradford could leave because of his production.

A guy like Stafford could leave because of his physical attributes.

Well Clausen doesn't have that ridiculous talent of a Stafford and Notre Dame isn't gong anywhere near a BCS Bowl game anytime soon IMO.

So basically Clausen needs to put up monster numbers to have any chance of leaving early

DoWnThEfiElD
11-03-2008, 12:10 PM
I really just have a hard time seeing through the hype he got. I know it's unfair to him to say that, but truthfully i haven't saw half the quarterback we were told to expect.

I question his intagibles more than what I see on the field. He has to stay another 4 years. I'm sure that will benefit his draft stock.

SuperKevin
11-03-2008, 12:47 PM
i think he'd be a fool to declare when he has some of the best offensive weapons Notre Dame has ever seen surrounding him.

Sniper
11-03-2008, 12:48 PM
i think he'd be a fool to declare when he has some of the best offensive weapons Notre Dame has ever seen surrounding him.

Golden Tate and Michael Floyd are ******* good, man.

SuperKevin
11-03-2008, 12:51 PM
Golden Tate and Michael Floyd are ******* good, man.

So is Kyle Rudolph and to a lesser extent Armando Allen. Notre Dame could be scary again next year

bernbabybern820
11-03-2008, 01:03 PM
So is Kyle Rudolph and to a lesser extent Armando Allen. Notre Dame could be scary again next year

Their whole starting offense is coming back except at LT.

DoWnThEfiElD
11-03-2008, 01:52 PM
Isn't Sam Young their LT?

SuperKevin
11-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Isn't Sam Young their LT?

plays right tackle