PDA

View Full Version : NFL Voids Rams-Haslett Deal Due to Rooney Rule

Turtlepower
10-25-2008, 04:15 PM
The NFL has voided a contract between the St. Louis Rams and Jim Haslett that stipulated if Haslett wins six games, he would become the full-time head coach after this season, ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen has confirmed.

CBSSports.com first reported that the league office informed the Rams that the six-wins clause violated the Rooney Rule, and so the contract was void.

Under the contract, which the Rams discussed with the league but never formally submitted, Haslett would have been able to keep the Rams head coaching job with six wins this season or collect a seven-figure bonus, a league official told Mortensen.

The Rooney Rule was established in 2003 to ensure that minority candidates be interviewed for any head coaching vacancy. The rule does not apply to interim hires in-season from a team's coaching staff.

This was definitely not the intention of the Rooney Rule. Just wow...

bearsfan_51
10-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Yes it is. The Rams would make a coaching hire without interviewing any non-white coaches. I understand that it seems a little pedantic, but if you consider that there were almost no non-white coaches before the rule was put in place, it's understandable why.

Bruce Banner
10-25-2008, 04:18 PM
What a ******* joke.

Turtlepower
10-25-2008, 04:19 PM
Yes it is. The Rams would make a coaching hire without interviewing any non-white coaches. I understand that it seems a little pedantic, but if you consider that there were almost no non-white coaches before the rule was put in place, it's understandable why.

I completely agree with the intention of the rule, but I think that cases can be made for interim head coaches to be given the full-time job without a hiring process.

bearsfan_51
10-25-2008, 04:21 PM
A case could be made for a lot of circumstances, but if you have the rule you must enforce it or there will be violations across the board. For example, when Jerry Jones "interviewed" Denny Green over the phone before hiring Bill Parcells.

steelersfan43
10-25-2008, 04:49 PM
That rule is stupid. I hate rules and **** like that.

yourfavestoner
10-25-2008, 05:24 PM
Is the same going to apply for a team like the Seahawks and Cowboys who have Jim Mora and Jason Garrett waiting in the wings?

Overall, I think the Rooney rule is a good rule. However, I think a lot of it is a dog and pony show. If you're a good coach these days, people will know who you are and will want you, regardless of race. If anything, I'd be insulted if I was a black guy and some team interviewed me for a job they had no intention of giving me, just so they could fill their minority candidate quota.

princefielder28
10-25-2008, 05:47 PM
Is the same going to apply for a team like the Seahawks and Cowboys who have Jim Mora and Jason Garrett waiting in the wings?

Overall, I think the Rooney rule is a good rule. However, I think a lot of it is a dog and pony show. If you're a good coach these days, people will know who you are and will want you, regardless of race. If anything, I'd be insulted if I was a black guy and some team interviewed me for a job they had no intention of giving me, just so they could fill their minority candidate quota.

The Jim Mora case took place in the offseason so the NFL lets that pass; atleast that's the explanation rotoworld gave.

Xiomera
10-25-2008, 05:59 PM
I'm glad there's a Rooney rule. It's the only thing stopping the Lions from firing Marinelli and naming Jim Colletto our Head Coach for next season. haha, now that is a scary thought.

GB12
10-25-2008, 06:06 PM
Well they're just going to hire Haslett again anyway. Kind of pointless to interview any other candidates, black or white, if they already have their man.

ShutDwn
10-25-2008, 06:29 PM

The rule is good, but in this instance it is a waste of time and probably insulting to whoever they choose to interview in order to fulfill the rule's requirements.

Bruce Banner
10-25-2008, 06:32 PM
The rule is good, but in this instance it is a waste of time and probably insulting to whoever they choose to interview in order to fulfill the rule's requirements.

++, someone gets it.

TitleTown088
10-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Never really heard of this rule to tell the truth. Is it similar to affirmative action?

Bruce Banner
10-25-2008, 06:39 PM
Never really heard of this rule to tell the truth. Is it similar to affirmative action?

It's essentially affirmative action.

ATLDirtyBirds
10-25-2008, 06:40 PM

I'm pretty sure you have to interview a minority for a HC position before you can make anything official.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-25-2008, 06:40 PM
Yeah, I would like to see some exception made for in-house hirings during a season. Mid-season firings are a special case situation, and if the team thinks they have a replacement already on staff and wishes to make it official, it only hurts the team to not be able to do so.

I don't disaprove of the Rooney Rule, although I find it a little misplaced. It doesn't seem like minority coordinators are being passed over in favor of caucasian coaches, although it may still be true that it's harder to work your way up that far as a minority. Either way, the Rooney Rule doesn't aid that situation in any way.

I imagine it would if the Seahawks or Cowboys offered the guys head coaching contracts midseason. When/if the offseason ends and Holmgren and Phillips are both out, both teams would be forced to conduct interviews beyond the candidates we all know have locks on the job.

P-L
10-25-2008, 06:43 PM
I think the rule should be edited. If you want to hire within, you can. However, if you want to interview any candidate outside the organization then you have to interview a minority also.

TitleTown088
10-25-2008, 06:46 PM
It's essentially affirmative action.

Meh, no me gusta then.

bearsfan_51
10-25-2008, 07:09 PM
It only requires that teams interview a minority candidate, they don't have to fill a quoata (most affirmitive action programs don't either for the record).

Most of the time simply being allowed in the interview process has led to a player getting either that job or another down the line. Mike Tomlin, for example, most likely never would have received the Steelers job had he not gotten that initial hire. Likely the same could be said for Lovie Smith.

HawkeyeFan
10-25-2008, 07:13 PM
Ugh, this is absolute BS.

As to the people talking about the Indianapolis and Seattle ones, it won't void there's because this decision was "made in the offseason".

This is crap, so pretty much if we want to keep him we interview a minority...

Interview:

Chip: Welcome *insert name*
Coach: Thanks, so the interview..?
Chip: Yeah, well we have our guy, its required by the NFL that we waste your time and bring you in for absolutely nothing, so yeah, been a nice interview thanks and good luck.

End of interview.

giantsfan
10-25-2008, 07:18 PM
This is incredibly moronic. Oh well at least the rams will get to waste some coaches time in the offseason. If I was their GM I'd bring in Denny Green just to ask him about the pats and if they were who we thought they were also.

GB12
10-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Exactly. I wouldn't even want to go to the interview if they contacted me when they already know who they're going to hire.
I think the rule should be edited. If you want to hire within, you can. However, if you want to interview any candidate outside the organization then you have to interview a minority also.
That's the right solution and hopefully will be changed to that eventually.

SFbear
10-25-2008, 09:10 PM
They should bring in Ron Rivera since he's use to going on tons of interviews and being turned down.

GB12
10-25-2008, 09:29 PM
They should bring in Ron Rivera since he's use to going on tons of interviews and being turned down.
Except he's not black...

10-25-2008, 09:32 PM
Except he's not black...

He's still a minority.

GB12
10-25-2008, 09:36 PM
He's still a minority.
Yeah, when I posted that I was just thinking about black coaches. Nevermind.

iloxygenil
10-25-2008, 09:38 PM

It is completely pathetic, it's that time of year, it's time to get a coach in, they're just going to hire one to appease the league now and hire Haslett anyway. That's not at all the intention, and it makes a mockery of the rule. It's a good practice to have in place and I'm glad it's out there, because the most qualified person should get the job no matter what color their skin is. But this is going to make a joke of it.

Toneloc498
10-26-2008, 02:22 AM
Im still waiting for a rule where each team has to bring in a white Runningback and white CB into training camp.

holt_bruce81
10-26-2008, 03:54 AM
Im still waiting for a rule where each team has to bring in a white Runningback and white CB into training camp.

Ha, Brian Leonard baby.

giantsfan
10-26-2008, 04:08 AM

Would Ian Johnson count?

bearsfan_51
10-26-2008, 09:03 AM

The difference is that judging someone's ability to play is a pretty easy observation. When you put the pads on, skin color tends to go away very quickly. That's why sports is the great equalizer.

When it comes to things like coaching or front office positions, however, there is a lot of room for interpretation, and because NFL teams are owned and run by old, usually conservative, white men, it's requires an equalizer to at least give them a chance.

I knew coming in that this would not be a popular position, but some of you should at least reconsider how you are structuring your arguments.

Bruce Banner
10-26-2008, 09:15 AM
When it comes to things like coaching or front office positions, however, there is a lot of room for interpretation, and because NFL teams are owned and run by old, usually conservative, white men, it's requires an equalizer to at least give them a chance.

In reality though, it isn't "an equalizer"....it's just a hindrance during the process. Most owners know which coach they want, white or black. They aren't going to change their mind by interviewing someone to simply meet a requirement.

bearsfan_51
10-26-2008, 10:16 AM
In reality though, it isn't "an equalizer"....it's just a hindrance during the process. Most owners know which coach they want, white or black. They aren't going to change their mind by interviewing someone to simply meet a requirement.
Except that it has happened on numerous occasions. Look at the numbers. Hiring for minorities is up across the board in the last 5-6 years. There are examples of guys who wouldn't have even received an interview but made such a positive impression that they received the job (Mike Tomlin, Lovie Smith), and others where an interview with one team got them other offers down the line (Jim Caldwell, Mike Singletary).

That should really tell you all you need to know about the positive effects of the rule. I honestly have no idea why people would be against it, other than a delusional desire to think you are living in a world where racism still isn't a very real obstacle.

In this case, however, I do understand the criticism, I just think you need to apply the rule in all cases or it would lead to further manipulations.

Bruce Banner
10-26-2008, 10:19 AM
I don't believe any bit of what you just said.

bearsfan_51
10-26-2008, 10:26 AM
Of course you don't, you've made it clear that facts mean little to you in an argument.

There were 2 minority coaches in the NFL in 2002 when the Rooney Rule was put in place, and only 1 that I can think of (Art Shell) in the 50 years prior to that. In the 6 years since then that number has jumped significantly. If you look further down the coaching staffs the difference is even more stark. Here's a piece of an article from the Pittsburgh Trib talking about the Tomlin hire (who, by the way, was their 4th interview, and was considered at the time a minority throw-in).

"We can't say that every team (has) applied it with the same vigor," said Cyrus Mehri, counsel for the Fritz Pollard Alliance. "We know that it was effective in many instances."

That appears to be the case with Marvin Lewis, who interviewed with the Cincinnati Bengals after the 2002 season. To some, it seemed like the Bengals interviewed Lewis just to satisfy the Rooney Rule.

"And guess what? Marvin Lewis knocked their socks off," Mehri said of the former Steelers assistant who just completed his fourth season as the Bengals head coach. "If not for the Rooney Rule, there would not be as many (minority) head coaches as there are today."

Another reason why there are more minority head coaches today, according to Baltimore Ravens general manager Ozzie Newsome, is because there are a lot more minority assistant coaches than in the past.

Kansas City coach Herm Edwards agreed.

"There were probably only 15 (minority) coaches back when I was playing, and you're talking maybe about one minority coach on each team. And some teams even had zero," said Edwards, who played in the NFL from 1977-86. "I think that now, with what has happened around the league, first off, the staffs are bigger, and a lot of the young college coaches are advancing through the proper stages of becoming coordinators. If you become a coordinator, you have the possibility of becoming a head coach."

Two of the four candidates the Steelers have interviewed to replace Bill Cowher are minorities.

In addition to Tomlin, who's black, the Steelers have talked to Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, who's Hispanic.

"The one thing that has changed over the years is the number of quality minority candidates that are in the pool to be considered has grown," said Steelers president Art Rooney II, who is leading the Steelers' three-man search team. "From that standpoint, I think that's a positive and not difficult to find people who are coordinators and have the kind of experience that you want in (head coaching) positions."

The Rooney Rule also has had what might be termed as the reverse of a trickle-down effect. In helping to create more awareness of the importance of diversity, the Rooney Rule, or the spirit of it, has led to more opportunities for minorities in NFL front offices.

In addition to Newsome, there are four minorities that are either NFL general managers or hold a title that makes them a de facto general manager.

Fred Nance, a minority, also was among the five finalists that the NFL considered to succeed Paul Tagliabue as commissioner last year.

"The Rooney Rule has been one of the most important rules in professional sports in terms of racial hiring practices," said Dr. Richard Lapchick, who heads the sports business management program at Central Florida and champions racial equality in sports. "It's definitely had the effect of going beyond the head coaching position."

Lapchick said the Rooney Rule had been such a success, he's pushed the NCAA to adopt something similar for its member schools, especially in regard to the hiring of head football coaches.

When asked if the Rooney Rule has had the desired effect, Newsome said, "Are we satisfied? Yes. Can (minority hiring) be better? Sure."

The advocates of the rule point out that the biggest thing it has done is that it's given minority coaching candidates something they may not have gotten in the past: a chance.

"You don't have to hire the guy. You just ask him to interview," Edwards said, "and I think that's the right thing to do."

Bruce Banner
10-26-2008, 10:31 AM
http://www.fish-killgore.com/tarpon_fishing_001-1a.jpg

NY+Giants=NYG
10-26-2008, 10:32 AM
Well they're just going to hire Haslett again anyway. Kind of pointless to interview any other candidates, black or white, if they already have their man.

Well that's the thing.. You can void the deal, wait until the end of the season, get everyone who is a miniority, bring them for a interview, and in the end give it to Haslett, unless someone else makes a strong case. But the intention of the rule is to avoid this. They want all the teams to do their due diligence, and by that they mean EVERYONE of all color and race to be allowed a shot to interview. And then if they want to hire Haslett so be it.

Turtlepower
10-26-2008, 10:35 AM
So, can someone verify that the Seahawks don't have to do a hiring process to replace Holmgren because they announced Jim Mora would replace him in the offseason? If true, this is a serious loophole in the rule.

josh07039
10-26-2008, 10:40 AM
I don't understand this. Since there was no interview process, they did not interview a minority.

princefielder28
10-26-2008, 10:43 AM
So, can someone verify that the Seahawks don't have to do a hiring process to replace Holmgren because they announced Jim Mora would replace him in the offseason? If true, this is a serious loophole in the rule.

The league says this is different than the Colts and Seahawks naming their head coaching successors early because those decisions happened in the offseason.

That is what the comment was from rotoworld on this situation.

bored of education
10-26-2008, 10:44 AM
It sucks for the Rams, should have some sort of clause in the Rooney rule. How will Mora be coach in Seattle next year, will they have to go through to entire process?

Turtlepower
10-26-2008, 10:46 AM
That is what the comment was from rotoworld on this situation.

See, that is a dumb ruling because this is almost the exact same situation. I say allow the Jim Haslett hiring or just make every HC hire included in the Rooney Rule.

bearsfan_51
10-26-2008, 12:34 PM
I agree, if the Seahawks don't have to then the Rams shouldn't either. This is why the rule should be enforced across the board. How hard is it to schedule one interview anyway?

bearsfan_51
10-26-2008, 12:36 PM
http://www.fish-killgore.com/tarpon_fishing_001-1a.jpg
Rather than showing pictures of fish and making one-line moronic statements, I would love for you to explain the logical fallacy or irrelevancy of my points. Really, please, do join the intellectual debate.

Bruce Banner
10-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Rather than showing pictures of fish and making one-line moronic statements, I would love for you to explain the logical fallacy or irrelevancy of my points. Really, please, do join the intellectual debate.

You consider this an intellectual debate?

How are you a professor?

Shane P. Hallam
10-26-2008, 01:10 PM

Not really. When coaches like Tomlin and Singletary got interviews initially for some teams based on the Rooney Rule, and it was found that they could do it. After a few interviews with different teams (IIRC,) Tomlin got his job, and Singletary was a candidate for awhile due to the rule. Even when a team has their guy, the other interviews may open it up for these candidates down the line, or the team may be surprised with a candidate and hire him.

steelersfan43
10-26-2008, 01:44 PM
It is completely pathetic, it's that time of year, it's time to get a coach in, they're just going to hire one to appease the league now and hire Haslett anyway. That's not at all the intention, and it makes a mockery of the rule. It's a good practice to have in place and I'm glad it's out there, because the most qualified person should get the job no matter what color their skin is. But this is going to make a joke of it.

The rule does nothing for that. If a team is not going to hire a black man for racial reasons, they are not going to hire him just because they are forced to interview him.

Dam8610
10-26-2008, 01:58 PM
I completely agree with the intention of the rule, but I think that cases can be made for interim head coaches to be given the full-time job without a hiring process.

Wasn't there an amendment to the rule that said that if the team only interviewed one candidate, then hired, they wouldn't have to interview any other candidates? I seem to remember something to that effect when the Lions hired Steve Mariucci.

bearsfan_51
10-26-2008, 02:56 PM
The rule does nothing for that. If a team is not going to hire a black man for racial reasons, they are not going to hire him just because they are forced to interview him.

It's not so much that they won't hire him because he's black, it's that they wouldn't even consider to hire a black man. It seems like an absurd distinction, but 99.9% of the issue is just getting your foot in the door. Studies have shown that most minority discrimination occurs out of subliminal preferences, not overt racism. That interview can often break that subliminal barrier.

Jughead10
10-27-2008, 10:45 AM
It's not so much that they won't hire him because he's black, it's that they wouldn't even consider to hire a black man. It seems like an absurd distinction, but 99.9% of the issue is just getting your foot in the door. Studies have shown that most minority discrimination occurs out of subliminal preferences, not overt racism. That interview can often break that subliminal barrier.

I really think Tomlin was the only coach who really benefitted from this rule. Lovie Smith before getting the job was a popular candidate for many jobs and was well respected as a future head coach across the league. If anything Tony Dungy's success as a coach and putting together a great staff is has been more influential in getting head coaching jobs for black candidates than the Rooney rule. But that works for white coaches under him as well. Although it is fitting that the Rooney rule truly helped someone get the Steelers job out of all teams.

Smooth Criminal
10-27-2008, 10:52 AM
Doesn't seem like a problem. If he gets 6 wins just wait till after the season and go through the hiring process. If he gets 6 wins he'll have the respect of the players and the front office and that will be enough to get him the job.

rockio42
10-27-2008, 10:56 AM
Ha, Brian Leonard baby.

did he fall off the face of the freaking earth he has like 2 carries for 7 yards this year

HawkeyeFan
10-27-2008, 12:29 PM
did he fall off the face of the freaking earth he has like 2 carries for 7 yards this year

He's hurt...again...

Such a wasted pick.

Mr. Stiller
10-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Not really. When coaches like Tomlin and Singletary got interviews initially for some teams based on the Rooney Rule, and it was found that they could do it. After a few interviews with different teams (IIRC,) Tomlin got his job, and Singletary was a candidate for awhile due to the rule. Even when a team has their guy, the other interviews may open it up for these candidates down the line, or the team may be surprised with a candidate and hire him.

Yep. From what I've heard/read and been told... Grimm was the shoe-in for the Steelers.

But Per the Rooney rule they interviewed Tomlin, Whisenhunt and Rivera.

Whisenhunt Took the Arizona job.

Grimm thought he had the job.

Tomlin was so impressive that they hired him.

Now if it weren't for the Rooney Rule Russ Grimm would likely have been the HC in Pittsburgh and frankly I don't think the Steelers would be as good as they are now with Grimm. I've never been impressed with him.

Mr. Stiller
10-27-2008, 01:29 PM
I really think Tomlin was the only coach who really benefitted from this rule. Lovie Smith before getting the job was a popular candidate for many jobs and was well respected as a future head coach across the league. If anything Tony Dungy's success as a coach and putting together a great staff is has been more influential in getting head coaching jobs for black candidates than the Rooney rule. But that works for white coaches under him as well. Although it is fitting that the Rooney rule truly helped someone get the Steelers job out of all teams.

There was also a lot of Speculation that Goodell stepped in reminding Dan of the "Rooney" Rule and thus he should hire a minority candidate.

I don't care if thats the reason or not, We got the best coach of the 4 candidates.

Jughead10
10-27-2008, 01:54 PM
There was also a lot of Speculation that Goodell stepped in reminding Dan of the "Rooney" Rule and thus he should hire a minority candidate.

I don't care if thats the reason or not, We got the best coach of the 4 candidates.

I wouldn't say he is the best of the 4 yet. I'm personally not totally impressed. He looks like a glorified cheerleader often on the sidelines. He walked into a great situation. Such a stable franchise with proven players all over the field. Much better than a situation if the previous coach was fired. He kept the great proven defensive coordinator that was already there and allows him to continue to run his scheme, and not the one Timlin is most familiar with. He also promoted the offensive coordinator from in house. In my mind it almost like this team still has training wheels on it for Timlin.

Mr. Stiller
10-27-2008, 02:06 PM
I wouldn't say he is the best of the 4 yet. I'm personally not totally impressed. He looks like a glorified cheerleader often on the sidelines. He walked into a great situation. Such a stable franchise with proven players all over the field. Much better than a situation if the previous coach was fired. He kept the great proven defensive coordinator that was already there and allows him to continue to run his scheme, and not the one Timlin is most familiar with. He also promoted the offensive coordinator from in house. In my mind it almost like this team still has training wheels on it for Timlin.

That stigma would have been of all the 4.

Grimm/Rivera went from possible HC candidates to positional coaching positions, Whisenhunt is doing good in Zona.

As for him, He has been better drafting then Cowher.

Not to mention the Age of the team has been rough.

Whis, Grimm, Rivera would've kept LeBeau. You can't fault him for coaching the best DC in the NFL.

Add to that he has contributed and worked out schemes for this team.

rockio42
10-27-2008, 02:08 PM
He's hurt...again...

Such a wasted pick.

Last year it didn't look that bad but this year he hasn't done anything, obviously

Whats the injury??

Jughead10
10-27-2008, 02:30 PM
That stigma would have been of all the 4.

Grimm/Rivera went from possible HC candidates to positional coaching positions, Whisenhunt is doing good in Zona.

As for him, He has been better drafting then Cowher.

Not to mention the Age of the team has been rough.

Whis, Grimm, Rivera would've kept LeBeau. You can't fault him for coaching the best DC in the NFL.

Add to that he has contributed and worked out schemes for this team.

I wouldv'e kept LeBeau too. It's just my belief that is really hard to judge Tomlin right now because I feel he doesn't have as much of an impact on the team as most head coaches.

Better drafting than Cowher? That is awfully hard to say. It has only been two years and neither 1st round pick has contributed a ton to the team. But either way it is hard to say so far. Need more time there. And who knows who is picking these players.

For me it would just be hard to say he is hands down better than the other candidates. Especially right now when O-line is clearly the worst part of your team, you can't tell me Russ Grimm would not be a big influence at that part of the team.

Mr. Stiller
10-27-2008, 08:09 PM
I wouldv'e kept LeBeau too. It's just my belief that is really hard to judge Tomlin right now because I feel he doesn't have as much of an impact on the team as most head coaches.

Better drafting than Cowher? That is awfully hard to say. It has only been two years and neither 1st round pick has contributed a ton to the team. But either way it is hard to say so far. Need more time there. And who knows who is picking these players.

For me it would just be hard to say he is hands down better than the other candidates. Especially right now when O-line is clearly the worst part of your team, you can't tell me Russ Grimm would not be a big influence at that part of the team.

Eh,

I've read from a reporter that either Colon or Simmons said:

"Russ really ain't a technique or 'Do it this way' guy, he was more of a 'do what works for you best' kind of guy. That really made it hard for rookies to come in and contribute because you not only had to learn what you's doing, but also how the guy next to you plays."

Problem with it now is.. our OC/OL Coaches need to be fired and replacements found (Praying for Norv Turner/Norm Chow for OC and Georgia's Stacy Searles for OL)...

And we need some draft picks along both lines.... Ben needs to learn to take what he can get.. I almost hate when he makes a Splash play in a game because he abandons the little stuff and just tries to make those big plays all the time.

It may be a bit absurd.... But from what I hear, Colbert actually has some input. Which he didn't with Cowher.