PDA

View Full Version : Underclassmen QBs

CincinnatiBengals15
10-26-2008, 02:30 AM
Just wondering who do u guys like will be the best out of all these in the NFL underclassmen QB here are a few fell free to list any i miss

Sam Bradford
Tim Tewbow
Matt Stafford
Josh Freeman
Colt McCoy
Zac Robinson
Todd Reesing
Mark Sanchez
Juice Williams
Matt Grothe
Nate Davis
Case Keenum

I think Bradford for will be the best out of the list of this QBs

illmatic74
10-26-2008, 02:38 AM
1. Bradford
2. Stafford
3. Sanchez
4. Freeman
5. Tebow
6. Robinson
7. McCoy
8. Juice
9. Davis
10. Keenum

121. Reesing

778143. Grothe

giantsfan
10-26-2008, 03:13 AM
Best case scenario I see they're NFL careers ending like this:
Matt Stafford - If he doesn't pick any bad habits early I'm very confident he'll be in one of the top 2 tiers of NFL QBs.

Tim Tebow - If you take the time to re-work his mechanics and footwork before getting into the mental part of the game with him you could end up with a HOF

Mark Sanchez - I see Sanchez as a guy who'll be a very good starter for many years for whomever drafts him. He'll be a good leader on a talented team but I don't see him elevating his team and being the central cog for his team like Tebow and Stafford can be.

Colt McCoy - He's got the intagible moxy to be a true leader of men. He's accurate and has quick feet, given time he could be a multiple Probowler.

Sam Bradford - Love his accuracy and ball protection, but hopefully he'll end up in a WCO where he'll be responsible for distributing the ball to WRs who make things happen instead of having to be the guy to make plays that his receivers jsut have to come down with.

Josh Freeman - I'm a lot lower on him than most but I don't see the ceiling as the franchise guy that I do with these other QBs.

That said I think each guy needs to end up in the right situation and those situations are rarer for some on this list, like Tebow who I would rank behind Sanchez and Bradford as a prospect. Generally each guy would benefit from stability and a quality coaching staff but for some the organization will be more important than for others.

Babylon
10-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Best case scenario I see they're NFL careers ending like this:
Matt Stafford - If he doesn't pick any bad habits early I'm very confident he'll be in one of the top 2 tiers of NFL QBs.

Tim Tebow - If you take the time to re-work his mechanics and footwork before getting into the mental part of the game with him you could end up with a HOF

Mark Sanchez - I see Sanchez as a guy who'll be a very good starter for many years for whomever drafts him. He'll be a good leader on a talented team but I don't see him elevating his team and being the central cog for his team like Tebow and Stafford can be.

Colt McCoy - He's got the intagible moxy to be a true leader of men. He's accurate and has quick feet, given time he could be a multiple Probowler.

Sam Bradford - Love his accuracy and ball protection, but hopefully he'll end up in a WCO where he'll be responsible for distributing the ball to WRs who make things happen instead of having to be the guy to make plays that his receivers jsut have to come down with.

Josh Freeman - I'm a lot lower on him than most but I don't see the ceiling as the franchise guy that I do with these other QBs.

That said I think each guy needs to end up in the right situation and those situations are rarer for some on this list, like Tebow who I would rank behind Sanchez and Bradford as a prospect. Generally each guy would benefit from stability and a quality coaching staff but for some the organization will be more important than for others.

I cant say i disagree with much there, nice job. Well maybe the Tebow and HOF comment.

SuperKevin
10-26-2008, 10:55 AM

If by HOF you really meant an autographed David Hasselhoff headshot then I'd say this is a pretty accurate statement

bored of education
10-26-2008, 11:00 AM
with the CBA issues alot of guys will be declaring, thank god cuz the senior class sucks

Babylon
10-26-2008, 11:31 AM
with the CBA issues alot of guys will be declaring, thank god cuz the senior class sucks

I'm not too up to date on that, is there going to be some sort of rookie salary cap?

SuperKevin
10-26-2008, 11:35 AM
I'm not too up to date on that, is there going to be some sort of rookie salary cap?

There might not be a 2011 season.

Babylon
10-26-2008, 11:45 AM
There might not be a 2011 season.

That wouldnt be good.

giantsfan
10-26-2008, 03:55 PM
If by HOF you really meant an autographed David Hasselhoff headshot then I'd say this is a pretty accurate statement

It was a best case scenario, Tebow's got a good chance to bust but if he gets a stable and competent coaching staff I really like his potential as long as they're patient and develop him properly. If he gets rushed onto the field Tebow will be the next akili smith or alex smith.

Don Vito
10-26-2008, 04:09 PM
Ole Miss RS Sophmore Jevan Snead is a great talent, he has a great arm and great athleticism he just needs to be more consistent. He makes some mistakes but if he develops he has the tools to be a great NFL QB. If I could compare his skillset to any pro I would say Brett Favre but he is not near his level at this point.

Ozzy
10-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Don Vito: Ole Miss RS Sophmore Jevan Snead is a great talent, he has a great arm and great athleticism he just needs to be more consistent. He makes some mistakes but if he develops he has the tools to be a great NFL QB. If I could compare his skillset to any pro I would say Brett Favre but he is not near his level at this point.Totally agree, any list of underclassmen QBs without Snead on it is very incomplete. The kid is a potential star and is quite an impressive looking young QB prospect.

All this talk of Bradford being better than guys like Sanchez, Stafford, Freeman and to a lesser extent Tebow is ridiculous. Bradford's arm is not even comparable to guys like Stafford or Sanchez.

I would be flat out shocked if Bradford is a better pro than both Sanchez and Stafford.

CashmoneyDrew
10-26-2008, 04:55 PM
Ah, but arm strength alone does not a prospect make or break.

Ozzy
10-26-2008, 04:59 PM
Ah, but arm strength alone does not a prospect make or break.Name me 10 pro bowl QBs with weak throwing arms. No NFL team wants to play in a 15 yard box because their QB cannot throw a dangerous and accurate deep ball.

CashmoneyDrew
10-26-2008, 05:32 PM
Name me 10 pro bowl QBs with weak throwing arms. No NFL team wants to play in a 15 yard box because their QB cannot throw a dangerous and accurate deep ball.

See. That's just it. You're saying Bradford has a weak arm. It's certainly not a cannon, but he's no Chad Pennington either. Vince Young made the Pro Bowl. He doesn't have a rocket attached to his shoulder. I'm not saying Matt Stafford isn't going to be a good pro necessarily, but there are other factors. Mark Sanchez doesn't exactly fire bullets either so I don't see why it's so crazy to have Bradford ranked higher like you said.

SuperKevin
10-26-2008, 05:41 PM
Name me 10 pro bowl QBs with weak throwing arms. No NFL team wants to play in a 15 yard box because their QB cannot throw a dangerous and accurate deep ball.

Trent Edwards has a weak arm by NFL standards and he's doing just fine right now

Babylon
10-26-2008, 05:45 PM
I'm not convinced Sam Bradford doesnt have a strong arm, they just dont throw it deep. Tom Brady didnt look like he had a cannon at Michigan.

SuperKevin
10-26-2008, 05:46 PM
I'd much rather have a quarterback with an accurate arm with some understanding of touch than a guy with a rocket that throws missiles every throw.

ElectricEye
10-26-2008, 05:54 PM
Saying Bradford doesn't have a good arm is just patently untrue. Stafford has a stronger arm by FAR, but that's what makes him special. It doesn't knock Bradford down a peg. People always do this with a big arm quarterback in the draft. Same thing happened with Russell and Cutler. Guys like that are the exception, not the rule. Both Bradford and Sanchez have more than enough arm to make every throw. I would say out of those two, Sanchez has the better footwork and mechanics, and Bradford has a better understanding of throwing the ball and better accuracy to boot. The arm strength thing is pretty much a wash between them, although Sanchez has a slight edge there.

Ozzy
10-26-2008, 06:17 PM
Trent Edwards has a weak arm by NFL standards and he's doing just fine right nowTotally disagree, the only reason Trent Edwards got drafted was because of his NFL arm, he did basically nothing at Stanford on the field. Edwards has a NFL arm, sure it is not elite in the NFL but as a college QB he had a elite throwing arm.

Tom Brady didnt look like he had a cannon at Michigan.Again, totally disagree, Brady was a statue in college, and because of that all he had was his arm and it was pretty damn good. Sure not Stafford like with his ball speed but he threw a real nice deep ball and made pro throws in college.

What concerns me the most is Bradford's deep ball, that is extremely important in the NFL and I rarely see him throw a good deep pass. Sure that might not be in the "offense" or he just simply does not do it well so they play to his strengths. What is the difference between Graham Harrell and Sam Bradford? One plays on Texas Tech and one does not? Granted I barely even consider Harrell a NFL prospect, but still both have questionable throw arms especially in regards to throwing deep passes. Let us not even discuss Chase Daniel, Bradford looks like Elway compared to Daniel.

Guess it is all personal preference, I am a big arm QB guy. However I say again, name me 10 pro bowl QBs with weak arms.

VoodooMonkey: See. That's just it. You're saying Bradford has a weak arm. It's certainly not a cannon, but he's no Chad Pennington either. Vince Young made the Pro Bowl. He doesn't have a rocket attached to his shoulder. I'm not saying Matt Stafford isn't going to be a good pro necessarily, but there are other factors. Mark Sanchez doesn't exactly fire bullets either so I don't see why it's so crazy to have Bradford ranked higher like you said.Chad Pennington is probably a great comparison for Bradford, two are very similar. I think Bradford would be lucky to have the success Pennington has had in the NFL. And yes Pennington has been successful when compared to the fact he could be out of the NFL like many of the QBs drafted when he was.

SuperKevin
10-26-2008, 06:22 PM
Totally disagree, the only reason Trent Edwards got drafted was because of his NFL arm, he did basically nothing at Stanford on the field. Edwards has a NFL arm, sure it is not elite in the NFL but as a college QB he had a elite throwing arm.

Every Bills fan will tell you that Edwards' arm is not strong at all by NFL standards. Even Lee Evans was calling him out on it prior to this year when he was in support of JP Losman

ElectricEye
10-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Yeah, the reports of Edwards arm strength have been greatly exaggerated. I've seen him play plenty of times over the past few year and he by no means has a cannon. He has enough to get the job done, but he does not have an above average NFL arm.

As far as Bradford; he's in the same league right now. I'm not basing this on any facts I've read at all, but he seems like the type who could add a bit of arm strength in near future. He has the height to put on a bit of weight, and that could help a bit. His arm is a lot stronger from last year already.

Ozzy
10-26-2008, 06:43 PM
Every Bills fan will tell you that Edwards' arm is not strong at all by NFL standards. Even Lee Evans was calling him out on it prior to this year when he was in support of JP LosmanI am not a Bills fan, I do not watch every game. However, being someone that watched Edwards in college, the only thing he had was his throwing arm. Again he did nothing at Stanford, never really stood out during the games and honestly did not have much success because he had no help around him. But again I say he got drafted because of his throwing arm, I never said it was strong. But again in terms of college QBs he had an above average arm and that is why he got drafted as a project QB. The kid threw a very nice looking ball in college, had good arm strength and technique.

I hate taking others opinions because I would rather make up my own mind. But here is a little lame internet proof of my statement, since I cannot currently cite my comments from the past because I did not post on this message board ;)

"POSITIVES: A nice-sized, athletic quarterback with an NFL arm. Patient in the pocket, buys time for receivers and sets up with solid fundamentals. Locates the open target on the field, zips the ball into pass catchers' hands and puts touch on throws when necessary."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2007/draft/players/19166.html

So to use Trent Edwards current success as proof that a QB does not need a good strong throwing arm....might need a better example.

SuperKevin
10-26-2008, 06:46 PM
I am not a Bills fan, I do not watch every game. However, being someone that watched Edwards in college, the only thing he had was his throwing arm. Again he did nothing at Stanford, never really stood out during the games and honestly did not have much success because he had no help around him. But again I say he got drafted because of his throwing arm, I never said it was strong. But again in terms of college QBs he had an above average arm and that is why he got drafted as a project QB. The kid threw a very nice looking ball in college, had good arm strength and technique.

I hate taking others opinions because I would rather make up my own mind. But here is a little lame internet proof of my statement, since I cannot currently cite my comments from the past because I did not post on this message board ;)

"POSITIVES: A nice-sized, athletic quarterback with an NFL arm. Patient in the pocket, buys time for receivers and sets up with solid fundamentals. Locates the open target on the field, zips the ball into pass catchers' hands and puts touch on throws when necessary."
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2007/draft/players/19166.html

Sports Illustrated has some of the absolute worst draft coverage on the net.

ElectricEye
10-26-2008, 06:49 PM
I don't think they were the only ones who liked his arm either, but from what I've seen it's really more in line with what Buffalo fans think. Still, really awesome looking young quarterback.

giantsfan
10-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Totally disagree, the only reason Trent Edwards got drafted was because of his NFL arm, he did basically nothing at Stanford on the field. Edwards has a NFL arm, sure it is not elite in the NFL but as a college QB he had a elite throwing arm.

Edwards had just a horrendous team around him. His oline was miserable and his receivers incompetent. He got drafted because he was smart, tough, moved well, had a good enough arm and was accurate. He has never had a big arm and no one ever thought he had a big arm. He has an NFL arm, but so does Bradford.

illmatic74
10-26-2008, 09:42 PM
Bradford and Sanchez have enough arm strength for the NFL.

MitchRobStew
10-26-2008, 10:05 PM
Stafford just is a very prototypical NFL QB. Stafford has everything you want. Best mechanics and footwork out of all eligible. Huge arm, and great mobility. High pre-snap football IQ. Calls a huge amount of audibles. He audibled out of a run and had a huge pass taking them from their own 10 to the LSU 40. Thats just an example of what he can do with his football IQ. Comes out of a prostyle offense, and has one of the best play fakes I've seen in college football. Basically top 2 overall pick lock regardless if he comes out this year or next year. He would be a wise man to come out and take his money.

illmatic74
10-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Stafford just is a very prototypical NFL QB. Stafford has everything you want. Best mechanics and footwork out of all eligible. Huge arm, and great mobility. High pre-snap football IQ. Calls a huge amount of audibles. He audibled out of a run and had a huge pass taking them from their own 10 to the LSU 40. Thats just an example of what he can do with his football IQ. Comes out of a prostyle offense, and has one of the best play fakes I've seen in college football. Basically top 2 overall pick lock regardless if he comes out this year or next year. He would be a wise man to come out and take his money.All that is true but his intermediate accuracy worries me.

P-L
10-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Fwiw, here is Scott's scouting report on Edwards.

Strengths:
Has prototypical size...Arm strength is more than adequate and he can make all the throws...An accurate passer with good touch and timing...Very smart and a hard worker with excellent intangibles...He knows how to read a defense and go through his progressions...A solid athlete who can throw on the run and move in the pocket...Good footwork, throwing mechanics and a quick release...Still has a lot of upside and could really develop once he's healthy and in a better situation.

Babylon
10-26-2008, 10:16 PM
Stafford just is a very prototypical NFL QB. Stafford has everything you want. Best mechanics and footwork out of all eligible. Huge arm, and great mobility. High pre-snap football IQ. Calls a huge amount of audibles. He audibled out of a run and had a huge pass taking them from their own 10 to the LSU 40. Thats just an example of what he can do with his football IQ. Comes out of a prostyle offense, and has one of the best play fakes I've seen in college football. Basically top 2 overall pick lock regardless if he comes out this year or next year. He would be a wise man to come out and take his money.

Totally agree and if anyone is wondering i dont have two accounts.

giantsfan
10-26-2008, 10:19 PM
Bradford's arm and sanchez's are also more than adequate then.

MitchRobStew
10-27-2008, 12:07 AM
I agree there adequate for certain offenses. Sanchez's is far above adequate.

But I think the transition for Bradford from that offense to the NFL will be hard. I mean his statistic are insane. But, I still think Stafford is more pro ready from day 1. I don't like his arm as much, but if he doesn't have the arm for a particular system they won't take him so it may not matter. I think Bradford's best bet is to end up in some sort of west coast offense. His intermediate, short passing, quick dump off stuff is top of the line. But, the transition is switching to a more drop back and pass offense will make him less idea to start from day 1. That will be better for him in the long run.

A west coast offense based system I think compliment his skill set perfectly, and may be the one system that may allow him to live up to the hype.

I really don't think staying will help Bradford at all. He has learned all he can from that system. The faster he can get to the NFL and being to adapt to an NFL style offense the better. Its true players will a higher number of college starts have a better shot at translating to the NFL, but he's done all he can at OU. Much like Tebow in Florida. They just need to get to the NFL and wrap their minds around an NFL style offense. And, learn the throws needed at the next level. There will be much tighter windows at the next level.

Bradford is a lot closer mentally than Tebow, but both will take atleast a year riding the pine to adjust to the more difficult reads, dropping back, and fitting the ball into tighter coverage than their used to in college ball. I have no clue where to project either one. It really just depends how well a team gets a read on their ability to dissect defenses through talking with them about the game, and having them dissect film. I would just be scared about the success of spread offense players adjustments to the NFL.

But who knows its all a crap shoot in the draft especially at QB.

holt_bruce81
10-27-2008, 12:45 AM
Stafford and Sanchez will have the most success in the NFL, followed by Freeman and Bradford.

illmatic74
10-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Stafford and Sanchez will have the most success in the NFL, followed by Freeman and Bradford. Do you see all 4 of them as starting qbs in the NFL.

Ozzy
10-27-2008, 12:36 PM
MitchRobStew: I agree there adequate for certain offenses. Sanchez's is far above adequate.

But I think the transition for Bradford from that offense to the NFL will be hard. I mean his statistic are insane. But, I still think Stafford is more pro ready from day 1. I don't like his arm as much, but if he doesn't have the arm for a particular system they won't take him so it may not matter. I think Bradford's best bet is to end up in some sort of west coast offense. His intermediate, short passing, quick dump off stuff is top of the line. But, the transition is switching to a more drop back and pass offense will make him less idea to start from day 1. That will be better for him in the long run.

A west coast offense based system I think compliment his skill set perfectly, and may be the one system that may allow him to live up to the hype.

I really don't think staying will help Bradford at all. He has learned all he can from that system. The faster he can get to the NFL and being to adapt to an NFL style offense the better. Its true players will a higher number of college starts have a better shot at translating to the NFL, but he's done all he can at OU. Much like Tebow in Florida. They just need to get to the NFL and wrap their minds around an NFL style offense. And, learn the throws needed at the next level. There will be much tighter windows at the next level.

Bradford is a lot closer mentally than Tebow, but both will take atleast a year riding the pine to adjust to the more difficult reads, dropping back, and fitting the ball into tighter coverage than their used to in college ball. I have no clue where to project either one. It really just depends how well a team gets a read on their ability to dissect defenses through talking with them about the game, and having them dissect film. I would just be scared about the success of spread offense players adjustments to the NFL.

But who knows its all a crap shoot in the draft especially at QB.Totally agree, to me Bradford is very good and a solid late first day selection, but to speak of him as the best QB prospect in college and a franchise saving QB is a little off.

BBIB
10-27-2008, 12:41 PM
Totally agree, to me Bradford is very good and a solid late first day selection, but to speak of him as the best QB prospect in college and a franchise saving QB is a little off.

I don't understand what more Bradford would have to do to prove himself?

He's been absolutely lights out as far as passing the football.

I think people are underrating the heck out of this kid's arm strength and he's one of the most accurate QBs in all of football.

SuperKevin
10-27-2008, 01:15 PM
Bradford in my opinion is the best draft eligible QB at the moment. He is however not the most pro ready. He'll require at least a season of learning how to take the ball from under center but once he gets that down he's going to be the real deal.

Ozzy
10-27-2008, 01:36 PM
Bradford in my opinion is the best draft eligible QB at the moment. He is however not the most pro ready. He'll require at least a season of learning how to take the ball from under center but once he gets that down he's going to be the real deal.Just curious if you were to compared Bradford to a QB in the NFL right now, who would it be. Also who are your favorite college football QB prospects at the moment? And who is the best QB in prospect overall since you have been watching football?

In my book, number one QB prospect and the ideal QB is Peyton Manning. I had him at the top of my ideal players by position back in 2002. Now based on that standard, that is why I am not that high on Bradford. I personally like big armed QBs and think in the end they make the absolute best QBs, and there is more than enough proof of that. Sure not all big armed QBs turn out great because of decision making, but to be absolutely elite, a big arm is very important. Take a look at Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco, there is no way Bradford has arms like those two standout rookie QBs.

BBIB
10-27-2008, 01:37 PM
Bradford in my opinion is the best draft eligible QB at the moment. He is however not the most pro ready. He'll require at least a season of learning how to take the ball from under center but once he gets that down he's going to be the real deal.

I would say he needs another year because I prefer QBs have 3-4 years as a starter. But obviously some guys don't have that opportunity (QBs like Brady in the past Sanchez/Clark in the present)

Im not doubting that he needs ore time but some people seem to see Sam Bradford as a borderline 1st day even 2nd day pick. I guess I just don't see it that way at all

In my book, number one QB prospect and the ideal QB is Peyton Manning. I had him at the top of my ideal players by position back in 2002. Now based on that standard, that is why I am not that high on Bradford. I personally like big armed QBs and think in the end they make the absolute best QBs, and there is more than enough proof of that. Sure not all big armed QBs turn out great because of decision making, but to be absolutely elite, a big arm is very important. Take a look at Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco, there is no way Bradford has arms like those two standout rookie QBs.

Joe Flacco has over twice as many picks as TDs right now....

He's on pace for 7 TDs and 16 INTs.

One game and he's established himself?

Matt Schaub, Philip Rivers, Drew Brees, Trent Edwards, Chad Pennington these guys have been playing some of the best football the 1st half of the season and none of them have elite arm strength.

Neither does Kurt Warner or Tony Romo for that matter either.

Elite Arm strength seems to be vastly overrated. Sure it can get a QB drafted very high like Russell and Flacco. But it's not even close to the end all be all or a necessary requirement to be great at the next level.

SuperKevin
10-27-2008, 01:40 PM
Just curious if you were to compared Bradford to a QB in the NFL right now, who would it be. Also who are your favorite college football QB prospects at the moment? And who is the best QB in prospect overall since you have been watching football?

Personally I'm not a fan of the comparing players. Why does Sam Bradford have to be the next so and so. Why can't he be the 1st Sam Bradford?

ElectricEye
10-27-2008, 01:43 PM

It's funny you mention Ryan, because that's the same type of arm Bradford has. I watched pretty much every game Ryan played. To say he has a strong arm wouldn't be wrong, but it's not the most accurate thing to say either. Same arm strength. Exact same, actually, now that I think about it.

Flacco, no. But Flacco has been awful.

EDIT;
I agree with SuperKevin. Comparing players is dumb. I'm pretty much with him on the entire pro-ready/highest threshold thing as well.

BBIB
10-27-2008, 01:47 PM
It's funny you mention Ryan, because that's the same type of arm Bradford has. I watched pretty much every game Ryan played. To say he has a strong arm wouldn't be wrong, but it's not the most accurate thing to say either. Same arm strength. Exact same, actually, now that I think about it.

Flacco, no. But Flacco has been awful.

People have been hating on Bradford's arm strength for a while now. I think it's repeated so much that people actually believe it. Did anyone see that throw he made at the end of that UT/OU game? It was easily a 55 yard heave on a rope.

Now obviously there are two parts to throwing strength, length and velocity.

But if people are hating on the velocity of his arm I think that's equally ridiculous. He's put some absolute zip on the football. Go look at that throw he made vs Miami last year. I've seen him throw across his body and to the other side of the field. He's certainly got enough arm strength and delivers it with a pretty decent spiral as well.

Arm strength has almost become something people make up to hate on a prospect who has it all. Size, accuracy, decision making etc.

I'd see if the QB had a complete noodle arm where that would be a problem. Like if they couldn't complete a deep out route or pass over 30-40 yards. But my goodness, some people act as if the arm strength of Joe Flacco/JaMarcus Russell should be a requirement to be considered a decet let alone elite prospect.

ElectricEye
10-27-2008, 01:53 PM
People have been hating on Bradford's arm strength for a while now. I think it's repeated so much that people actually believe it. Did anyone see that throw he made at the end of that UT/OU game? It was easily a 55 yard heave on a rope.

Now obviously there are two parts to throwing strength, length and velocity.

But if people are hating on the velocity of his arm I think that's equally ridiculous. He's put some absolute zip on the football. Go look at that throw he made vs Miami last year. I've seen him throw across his body and to the other side of the field. He's certainly got enough arm strength and delivers it with a pretty decent spiral as well.

Arm strength has almost become something people make up to hate on a prospect who has it all. Size, accuracy, decision making etc.

I'd see if the QB had a complete noodle arm where that would be a problem. Like if they couldn't complete a deep out route or pass over 30-40 yards. But my goodness, some people act as if the arm strength of Joe Flacco/JaMarcus Russell should be a requirement to be considered a decet let alone elite prospect.
Amen.

I think part of the problem is that we've had a run of guys with absolute cannons lately. We've had some real special arms come out lately. People seem to kind of forget that those guys are the exception, not the rule. This isn't baseball. It's more about overall throwing ability than pure arm strength.

Race for the Heisman
10-27-2008, 01:54 PM
Like others have said, Jevan Snead needs to be on this list. Another guy I like is Riley Skinner. I don't think he'll crack the first round, maybe not even the first day, but I like him as a prospect.

Thunder&Lightning
10-27-2008, 02:13 PM
What do you guys think about QB Daryll Clark from Penn State?

Ozzy
10-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Well you guys have your opinions and I will have mine. It is stupid to argue because you say so and so is good, and I say so and so is good. It gets pretty sad, people have different views of different players. I am tired of trying to prove my point that Trent Edwards had a big time arm coming out of college, or saying Drew Brees never had a weak arm in college, or saying Rivers has a weak arm. Please Brees had a gun and Rivers could throw a great deep ball in college. It is all in ones opinion.

My opinion is Bradford does not have a elite throwing arm, I like him as a prospect but to say he is the #1 QB prospect in college is flat out ridiculous.

See who is right in the end, tried of trying to state opinions when it is just that an opinion. Arm strength and what is a powerful NFL throwing arm is all up to who is watching. When I am watching I see issues with his arm, when some of you watch him you see a great arm. We will see what happens in the end.

Not going to really state this again, but here is simply what my view is of him.

*I do not like his release
*I do not like the lack of a fluid throwing motion
*I do not like the fact he is rarely if not ever under center
*I do not like the fact many QBs that played in that system put up very similar stats
*I do not like the fact people consider him a franchise QB because he does not have a franchise arm in my opinion
*I do not like his ability to move around in the pocket or lack of ability to run out of the pocket
*I do not like the fact he is behind one the best offensive line in football because it greatly helps him look possibly better than he is

What I like is his ability to manage the game and get the ball quickly out of his hands. He has been good for awhile and for his age is ahead of his time in terms of understanding things. Love that he does not let much get to him and is very calm under pressure on the field. Now considering, I think the negatives far out weigh the positives.

See what happens in the end, but if a NFL franchise completely banks on him saving their franchise, they could be in some trouble.

BBIB
10-27-2008, 02:34 PM
What do you guys think about QB Daryll Clark from Penn State?

He's got to come back another year and put up monster numbers to get rid of the Michael Robinson label.

BBIB
10-27-2008, 02:35 PM
Well you guys have your opinions and I will have mine. It is stupid to argue because you say so and so is good, and I say so and so is good. It gets pretty sad, people have different views of different players. I am tired of trying to prove my point that Trent Edwards had a big time arm coming out of college, or saying Drew Brees never had a weak arm in college, or saying Rivers has a weak arm. Please Brees had a gun and Rivers could throw a great deep ball in college. It is all in ones opinion.

My opinion is Bradford does not have a elite throwing arm, I like him as a prospect but to say he is the #1 QB prospect in college is flat out ridiculous.

See who is right in the end, tried of trying to state opinions when it is just that an opinion. Arm strength and what is a powerful NFL throwing arm is all up to who is watching. When I am watching I see issues with his arm, when some of you watch him you see a great arm. We will see what happens in the end.

Not going to really state this again, but here is simply what my view is of him.

*I do not like his release
*I do not like the lack of a fluid throwing motion
*I do not like the fact he is rarely if not ever under center
*I do not like the fact many QBs that played in that system put up very similar stats
*I do not like the fact people consider him a franchise QB because he does not have a franchise arm in my opinion
*I do not like his ability to move around in the pocket or lack of ability to run out of the pocket
*I do not like the fact he is behind one the best offensive line in football because it greatly helps him look possibly better than he is

What I like is his ability to manage the game and get the ball quickly out of his hands. He has been good for awhile and for his age is ahead of his time in terms of understanding things. Love that he does not let much get to him and is very calm under pressure on the field. Now considering, I think the negatives far out weigh the positives.

See what happens in the end, but if a NFL franchise completely banks on him saving their franchise, they could be in some trouble.

But why do you have to have an elite arm to be an elite or even great prospect?

You honestly think guys like Drew Brees have ELITE NFL arm strength? Come on man.

And what is so awkward about Bradford's delivery?

And BTW, no QB can alone save a pathetic franchise. In fact what makes or breaks QBs besides their own mental toughness is what the front office puts around them

Ozzy
10-27-2008, 02:41 PM
You honestly think guys like Drew Brees have ELITE NFL arm strength? Come on man.I speak of him as a college prospect and his arm in college. I heard this same stuff about Edwards, saying Edwards does not have an elite NFL arm. Again it is college level based on what they were in college and in college Edwards had an elite arm and so did Brees. Sure in the NFL they are not at the top but seriously again this is based on what they showed in college.

Petyon Manning
John Elway
Brett Favre
Tom Brady

Those arm the types of arms you want in the NFL, it is the ideal and when scouting one goes for the elite and ideal prospects with ideal skills. Sure one can be successful without, but honestly who goes into it saying I want a average NFL QB to run my team. Forget greatness, I want just average.

Sure mentality is huge in a prospect but none of those great QBs would be great without their massive throwing arms. Take away Peyton Manning's arm strength and he is just a over achieving moderate average QB in the NFL not a Super Bowl champion.

The fact very few players in the NFL throw the ball like Bradford or have similar Bradford attributes says a lot to me. Again not saying the kid is horrible but seriously he is not the best QB prospect in college football.

Preo32
10-27-2008, 07:10 PM
Some of the better non-senior QBs IMO (In no order)

Matthew Stafford
Tim Tebow
Mark Sanchez
Sam Bradford
Josh Freeman
Colt McCoy
Zac Robinson
Todd Reesing
Juice Williams
Matt Grothe
Nate Davis
Max Hall
Dan LeFevour
Casey Keenum
Kellen Lewis (Doesn't have too much of a team around him, but he can run and he is not a bad passer)