PDA

View Full Version : Mike Singletary

BeerBaron
10-26-2008, 08:00 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/26/vernon-davis-might-be-crying-again/

Hellz yes. I love this guy. He benches one his teams few star players as an example. Lllllllllove it. Haha.

And its not because he's a former Bear. If the 49ers don't want this guy longterm, some other team should.

Get some X's and O'x type coordinators under him and let him be the emotional and motivational leader of the team from the head coach position and watch him win.

Menardo75
10-26-2008, 08:02 PM
That was my favorite part of the game.

LonghornsLegend
10-26-2008, 08:03 PM
I <3 Mike, if you can't respect that then you shouldn't be playing, and that's exactly what they need right now...I hope he gets this job and gets a shot to turn it around at least.

CJSchneider
10-26-2008, 08:03 PM
I loved Singletary as a player and I'm liking him even more as a coach.

Borat
10-26-2008, 08:13 PM
Sooooooo happy Mike exposed VD as the most overrated P.O.S. in pro football. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee, I made a 7-yard play. Let me pound my chest like I'm ******* Antonio Gates now.

Babylon
10-26-2008, 08:16 PM

Hellz yes. I love this guy. He benches one his teams few star players as an example. Lllllllllove it. Haha.

And its not because he's a former Bear. If the 49ers don't want this guy longterm, some other team should.

Get some X's and O'x type coordinators under him and let him be the emotional and motivational leader of the team from the head coach position and watch him win.

Probably should have said one of their high priced players because Davis certainly isnt a star. The Niners arent very good and when they dont try like today they arent going to beat anyone. My guess is he'll send a lot of them packing in the near future and mold the team to his liking. Took guts to do it but it wasnt like it got anyone's attention, they all sucked.

Flyboy
10-26-2008, 08:17 PM
That pick isn't looking too good for SF right about now.

Twiddler
10-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Yeah, I saw the press conference and wow, I'm really pulling for Mike to have some success as a head coach. The guy definitely is passionate enough.

Canadian_draft_fan
10-26-2008, 08:18 PM
Sooooooo happy Mike exposed VD as the most overrated P.O.S. in pro football. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeee, I made a 7-yard play. Let me pound my chest like I'm ******* Antonio Gates now.

What a change from a couple of years ago. I remember a SF fan ranking Vernon Davis in the top 10 TEs in the league and adding the quote "Trust me, he will be". I wonder what he thinks now. It's his 3rd year in the league and he needs to turn it around quick to avoid the "major bust" label.

Borat
10-26-2008, 08:18 PM
That pick isn't looking too good for SF right about now.

There's a lot of that going around SF right now.

Ravens1991
10-26-2008, 08:46 PM
Didn't Davis have horrible agility drills in the combine, plus being 6'2 doesn't help. I remember BBD actually called it when he said Davis would never be a elite TE and he was bashed for saying that.

diabsoule
10-26-2008, 08:50 PM
I got a feeling with Singletary as the HC there will be a lot of positive changes going on in SF. I actually don't think Martz is the right OC for him. I'd also love to see him switch his defense to a 4-3.

Ravens1991
10-26-2008, 08:53 PM
I would love to see Willis in a 4-3, he can be Mike Singeltary like in there.

giantsfan
10-26-2008, 08:56 PM
I want Singletary to bring in one of the ryan's boys to run a 46.

hockey619
10-26-2008, 09:01 PM
He's coached just one game and I'm already a huge fan. Most coaches preach change but only make a few changes in training camp, make guys earn there spots, etc,etc... Singletary came in mid-season and took control. I freaking love it! Says there will be change and then there is. My only concern is that Davis isnt very mature or mentally stable, so you have to wonder if his response will be to compete harder and try to prove his coach wrong or if he'll just continue to underachieve.

I expect them to come out after the bye week as either a completely new team that fights like hell on every play or a team that cant handle his intensity and finishes collapsing.

Xonraider
10-26-2008, 09:11 PM
I want Singletary to bring in one of the ryan's boys to run a 46.

Rob runs a prevent defense not a 46

Ravens1991
10-26-2008, 09:13 PM
I hate the 46 as a base D, a situational D is alright, but if a team lines up in a 46 every play the WR would run slants every play and it will pick that D apart.

BeerBaron
10-26-2008, 09:13 PM
I'm oh so glad everyone agrees with me on this. One game in, a loss at that, and he's already the most badass coach i've seen.

And yeah, I didn't mean to call Davis a "star," it was the only word I could come up with. Overhyped, overpaid player would work better, lol.

BeerBaron
10-26-2008, 09:15 PM
I hate the 46 as a base D, a situational D is alright, but if a team lines up in a 46 every play the WR would run slants every play and it will pick that D apart.

not if the QB's got a bunch of hall of fame (or should be hall of fame) defenders in his face as soon as the ball is snapped.... ;)

brat316
10-26-2008, 09:16 PM
does anyone have that video, it was so funny.

MidwayMonster31
10-26-2008, 09:21 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80bf84eb
He was right. They are a professional football team, start acting like one.

Basileus777
10-26-2008, 09:25 PM
Didn't Davis have horrible agility drills in the combine, plus being 6'2 doesn't help. I remember BBD actually called it when he said Davis would never be a elite TE and he was bashed for saying that.

Timed speed really isn't that important for TEs. The best TEs in the league; Witten, Gonzo, Gates; none of them are particularly fast. Football IQ, route running, and the size and length to create mismatches are more important. Vernon Davis is built like a WR, has poor hands, can't run routes or understand the playbook.

Babylon
10-26-2008, 09:26 PM
not if the QB's got a bunch of hall of fame (or should be hall of fame) defenders in his face as soon as the ball is snapped.... ;)

I was thinking of the 85 Bears defense too when i heard that comment. Doesnt really matter what you run when you have the personel.

BeerBaron
10-26-2008, 09:27 PM
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80bf84eb
He was right. They are a professional football team, start acting like one.

"I am from the old school. I believe this: Iíd rather play with 10 people and just get penalized all the way until we have to do something else. Rather than play with 11, when I know that right now, that person is not sold out to be part of the team. Itís more about them, than it is the team. You can not play with them. You can not win with them. You can not coach with them, canít do it. I want winners. I want people who want to win.Ē

Dude should literally just play with 10. That would take real balls.

Best coach in the NFL already. Love it.

Vikes99ej
10-26-2008, 09:29 PM

Since when is Vernon Davis a star player?

He makes me actually wanna pay some attention to the Niners. Absolutely love it.

BeerBaron
Since when is Vernon Davis a star player?

I corrected myself further down:

And yeah, I didn't mean to call Davis a "star," it was the only word I could come up with. Overhyped, overpaid player would work better, lol.

Babylon
10-26-2008, 09:41 PM
"I am from the old school. I believe this: Iíd rather play with 10 people and just get penalized all the way until we have to do something else. Rather than play with 11, when I know that right now, that person is not sold out to be part of the team. Itís more about them, than it is the team. You can not play with them. You can not win with them. You can not coach with them, canít do it. I want winners. I want people who want to win.Ē

Dude should literally just play with 10. That would take real balls.

Best coach in the NFL already. Love it.

No penalty for playing with 10 but i agree with your assessment.

BeerBaron
10-26-2008, 09:44 PM
No penalty for playing with 10 but i agree with your assessment.

I know, but you don't have to be bright to have balls, lol.

And you know what else is cool that I just thought of? The 49ers have a new GM who has no attachment to Davis......would it surprise anyone if Davis wasn't activated for any more games this year?

brat316
10-26-2008, 09:54 PM
what did vernon do to get benched.

MidwayMonster31
10-26-2008, 09:59 PM
And you know what else is cool that I just thought of? The 49ers have a new GM who has no attachment to Davis......would it surprise anyone if Davis wasn't activated for any more games this year?I think what should be done is that Davis would have to earn his spot back by conducting himself properly. If not, he's still 24 and has upside. Some other GM will want to trade for him for a "fresh start".

Babylon
10-26-2008, 10:05 PM

Besides the fact that he's lousy?

rockio42
10-26-2008, 10:12 PM
I think what should be done is that Davis would have to earn his spot back by conducting himself properly. If not, he's still 24 and has upside. Some other GM will want to trade for him for a "fresh start".

Yah, I think that would be good for him, and the best place for him would be a team like (not saying they should) the Bills who have a solid blocking TE and he wouldn't have to worry about being counted on as much in running plays

10-26-2008, 10:13 PM
And you know what else is cool that I just thought of? The 49ers have a new GM who has no attachment to Davis......would it surprise anyone if Davis wasn't activated for any more games this year?

It wouldn't surprise me at all however I don't feel that would be the correct way of handling this ordeal. The suggestion below is the fairest for all parties involved.

I think what should be done is that Davis would have to earn his spot back by conducting himself properly. If not, he's still 24 and has upside. Some other GM will want to trade for him for a "fresh start".

Brent
10-26-2008, 10:35 PM
I would love to see Willis in a 4-3, he can be Mike Singeltary like in there.
If you watch our games, you will see that we do run a 4-3. We just say we run a 3-4.

Brent
10-26-2008, 10:36 PM
after making a catch, Brian Russell was talking noise so Vernon lightly slapped him on the bottom of his facemask and the ref threw a flag.

Giantsfan1080
10-26-2008, 10:52 PM
Did anyone else see the pregame with Singletary? A lady reporter (don't know who) asked him what it was like to call Bill Walsh when he got the 49'ers job or something to that extent. What a moron. He didn't know what to say considering Bill Walsh can't really receive a phone call anymore.

JonasBlane
10-26-2008, 10:55 PM
I've been cheering for Samurai Mike to succeed as a coach for a while. Seeing highlights and features on him as a player, and team leader, it seems as though it would be impossible for him not to succeed as a coach in this league. He's made for it.

Borat
10-26-2008, 11:01 PM
Singletary has awesome sound clips:

"I'M GONNA BE HERE ALL DAY BABY!!!"
"I LIKE THIS KIND OF PARTY!!!"

Saints-Tigers
10-26-2008, 11:02 PM
We'll learn a lot about Vernon soon. Mike is a tough guy, and he's not afraid to toss anyone, it could motivate Vernon, or he could become a total whiner.

BeerBaron
10-26-2008, 11:10 PM
We'll learn a lot about Vernon soon. Mike is a tough guy, and he's not afraid to toss anyone, it could motivate Vernon, or he could become a total whiner.

I would put my money on whiner....he cried after he was drafted iirc, a couple of chewing outs by Mike could put him over the edge.

I thought about my earlier statement, and thought maybe they should still play him if possible if for no other reason than to raise the draft pick they could get looking to trade him.

Brent
10-26-2008, 11:12 PM
how does crying after being drafted make him a whiner? if playing in the NFL was a life-long dream of yours that came to fruition, wouldnt you be pretty emotional? crying out of joy is far different than crying because someone yelled at you

VoteLynnSwan
10-26-2008, 11:23 PM
how does crying after being drafted make him a whiner? if playing in the NFL was a life-long dream of yours that came to fruition, wouldnt you be pretty emotional? crying out of joy is far different than crying because someone yelled at you

Cedric Benson cried too...

BeerBaron
10-26-2008, 11:24 PM

and we saw what he made of himself...

Twiddler
10-26-2008, 11:34 PM

He has a point though, just because he displayed emotions during a moment that was going to change his life completely does not make him a whiner. Other things that he has done in the past may do that but this does not.

Brent
10-26-2008, 11:36 PM
If you were in that position, who's to say that you wouldnt react the same way?

d34ng3l021
10-26-2008, 11:47 PM
Singletary is badass. Wow. Awesome PC.

M.O.T.H.
10-26-2008, 11:55 PM
Funny how everyone likes this style but, really you have to question whether or not, this could work today. Players dont want to be bullied, and one of the worst things a coach can do is take the fun out of the game. It is a game after all, not war. The perfect coach is someone in between, I'd want my coach to be stern, demanding, and a diciplinary when necessary but, I'd also want them to be a bit of a player's coach. Players react differently to different coaches and coaching techniques/styles. A lot of players wouldnt want to play for Mike, i guarantee that.

tjsunstein
10-27-2008, 12:01 AM
I respect this guy more than anyone in the NFL right now.

Flyboy
10-27-2008, 12:02 AM

Yeah, I don't get it either. *shrugs*

Saints-Tigers
10-27-2008, 12:10 AM
Singletary is fed up with the teams effort im sure, but if Vernon dedicates himself to getting better, and just does little things like asking the coach "hey, how can I do this better?" Mike Singletary will embrace him, and WANT to teach him.

Menardo75
10-27-2008, 12:57 AM
It sounds like Mike has been dissapointed with Vernon going half ass since he got to SF. It sounds like it is doing Vernon some good though.

"Coach Singletary told me to go sit down, and after a while, he told me to just take a shower and take it in," Davis said. "He's a good coach. Coach Singletary is an emotional guy, just like myself. He wants to win, and I did exactly what he told me to do. He is the head coach, and I listen to him. He just told me to come in, and I went in."

Davis wanted to talk to his coach after the game, but Singletary advised against it.

"I told him he did not want to talk to me," Singletary said. "I assured him, 'You do not want to talk to me right now.' "

Hope he finally figures it out.

Paranoidmoonduck
10-27-2008, 01:24 AM
I really can't help but root for a guy like Singletary. You know he has the ability to lead a team and he'll handle his players really well, but there are a lot of potential pitfalls in San Francisco. I'm sure he'd get a chance somewhere else, but this is a big opportunity for him.

Saints-Tigers
10-27-2008, 01:24 AM
That actually sounds good to me, I'm hoping he gets it together.

Menardo75
10-27-2008, 01:32 AM
I hope he does too I don't like busts :(

SFbear
10-27-2008, 01:48 AM

If I remember correctly, Cedric Benson cried because he was relieved the interviewing and vetting process was over. He found the idea that teams might actually ask him questions about his motivation, his work ethic, and any similarities to Ricky Williams disgusting and offensive.

As far as I'm concerned Vernon Davis > Cedric Benson as far as attitude.

giantsfan
10-27-2008, 01:53 AM
I really can't help but root for a guy like Singletary. You know he has the ability to lead a team and he'll handle his players really well, but there are a lot of potential pitfalls in San Francisco. I'm sure he'd get a chance somewhere else, but this is a big opportunity for him.

I wish we had signed him as a LBs coach back when he was first getting into coaching so he could be rising up our system. Just gotta love the man.

eaglesalltheway
10-27-2008, 06:58 AM
It sounds like Mike has been dissapointed with Vernon going half ass since he got to SF. It sounds like it is doing Vernon some good though.

"Coach Singletary told me to go sit down, and after a while, he told me to just take a shower and take it in," Davis said. "He's a good coach. Coach Singletary is an emotional guy, just like myself. He wants to win, and I did exactly what he told me to do. He is the head coach, and I listen to him. He just told me to come in, and I went in."

Davis wanted to talk to his coach after the game, but Singletary advised against it.

"I told him he did not want to talk to me," Singletary said. "I assured him, 'You do not want to talk to me right now.' "

Hope he finally figures it out.

Personally, I would follow that advice as closely as possible... Made me laugh when I read it.

Shiver
10-27-2008, 07:05 AM
You can measure a man's forty yard dash but you can't measure a man's...

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51Q50GSJ6JL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Gay Ork Wang
10-27-2008, 07:26 AM
"We are no charity"

<3 mike

DoWnThEfiElD
10-27-2008, 09:23 AM
I thought that was awesome. I wish someone would have done that to T.O. at some points in his career.

Bruce Banner
10-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Singletary is playing with fire. I understand his reasoning but leave the hardcore scolding and yelling to the HS and college coaches. That shtick gets really old to grown men.
Ask Coughlin about that. He was criticized terribly by his players for being a "tyrant" so he held back a bit and we all know the story after that.

BeerBaron
10-27-2008, 09:57 AM
Singletary is playing with fire. I understand his reasoning but leave the hardcore scolding and yelling to the HS and college coaches. That shtick gets really old to grown men.
Ask Coughlin about that. He was criticized terribly by his players for being a "tyrant" so he held back a bit and we all know the story after that.

Thing is with Coughlin though, he did get the respect of the majority of his players. Those who didn't (Tiki, Shockey) ended up not being part of their superbowl run. Eventually other vets like Strahan bought in and Coughlin could calm down a little.

Right now, the 49ers are a losing football team. Singletary is giving them a much needed kick in the ass and the players who buy in and respect him will be better off for it down the road imo.

bigbluedefense
10-27-2008, 10:39 AM
He will fix the culture in SF.

Now I see what the team owners saw in him when they interviewed him.

papa burgundy
10-27-2008, 11:14 AM
So far... Vernon AND Singletary(coaching) are both all talk off the field and empty results on it. So I say **** them both until they prove otherwise. For someone who supposedly has the ability to "inspire men" the Niners sure came out flat yesterday. It was nothing different from Mike Nolan.. more bad decisions more blown out losses.

themaninblack
10-27-2008, 11:25 AM
If I remember correctly, Cedric Benson cried because he was relieved the interviewing and vetting process was over. He found the idea that teams might actually ask him questions about his motivation, his work ethic, and any similarities to Ricky Williams disgusting and offensive.

As far as I'm concerned Vernon Davis > Cedric Benson as far as attitude.

Oh yeah?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOF48cmR8aY

haha im jk.

Bruce Banner
10-27-2008, 11:26 AM
So far... Vernon AND Singletary(coaching) are both all talk off the field and empty results on it. So I say **** them both until they prove otherwise. For someone who supposedly has the ability to "inspire men" the Niners sure came out flat yesterday. It was nothing different from Mike Nolan.. more bad decisions more blown out losses.

^^
Someone gets it.

awfullyquiet
10-27-2008, 11:30 AM

That's what she said

Babylon
10-27-2008, 11:33 AM

I think he can get away with it here cause they're young and in the case of Vernon Davis his mentality is at the highschool or college level. Once they mature and everyone is playing like pros he can back off. I thought it was a breath of fresh air to tell the truth. Heck he played for Ditka and Buddy Ryan he probably knows a thing or two about tough love.

bigbluedefense
10-27-2008, 11:35 AM
I want to see some new Xs and Os on that team. Hopefully he brings in some pressure based scheme, or even a Tampa 2.

I think Willis would thrive in Tampa 2, or a 46 style 4-3 defense. They need a complete overhaul of that defense though. Willis and Clements are nice building blocks, but they need to redo the rest of that defense.

Bruce Banner
10-27-2008, 11:35 AM
I think he can get away with it here cause they're young and in the case of Vernon Davis his mentality is at the highschool or college level. Once they mature and everyone is playing like pros he can back off. I thought it was a breath of fresh air to tell the truth. Heck he played for Ditka and Buddy Ryan he probably knows a thing or two about tough love.

Yeah, agreed. You can rule with an iron fist and loosen the grip but you can't start with a loose grip and tighten it.

but he will have to lighten up eventually. Gruden didn't his first few years and he lost the locker room, so to speak. Players were taking shots at him in the media and whatnot.

brat316
10-27-2008, 11:37 AM
how much moneys are the 9ers going to have left once they either trade or release Alex Smith and Vernon Davis?

Bruce Banner
10-27-2008, 11:41 AM
how much moneys are the 9ers going to have left once they either trade or release Alex Smith and Vernon Davis?

I'm not sure how much they make but here is the rundown of cap ATM. I'm sure you could do some elementary math and figure that out.

Tampa Bay $26.30 million
Kansas City $22.74 million
Green Bay $20.04 million
Miami $15.33 million
Cincinnati $11.80 million
Buffalo $9.78 million
New Orleans $8.56 million
N.Y. Giants $8.12 million
Philadelphia $7.60 million
Atlanta $7.28 million
Tennessee $7.05 million
San Francisco $6.55 million
Denver $6.45 million
Dallas $6.27 million
Carolina $6.24 million
Jacksonville $5.95 million
Seattle $5.95 million
Cleveland $5.45 million
Indianapolis $5.32 million
New England $3.53 million
Houston $3.52 million
Oakland $3.44 million
Minnesota $2.60 million
San Diego $2.55 million
Arizona $2.39 million
Pittsburgh $2.21 million
Baltimore $1.99 million
Detroit $1.99 million
N.Y. Jets $1.79 million
St. Louis $1.74 million
Washington $1.48 million
Chicago $318,000

I'm tempted to make a thread with these numbers. I don't really want to hijack.

bigbluedefense
10-27-2008, 11:45 AM
They should go after Julius Peppers in FA.

I know Peppers isn't the greatest pass rusher in the world, but Id love to see a rebuilding project in SF with a 4-3 defense with Peppers on the line, Willis at MIKE and Clements at CB. Thats 3 nice building blocks to feed off of.

MasterShake
10-27-2008, 11:45 AM

Alot...probably in the 30-35 mil range.

Bruce Banner
10-27-2008, 11:47 AM
Alot...probably in the 30-35 mil range.

This can't be right.

Right now = San Francisco $6.55 million

I doubt they are making 30 mil a year between them.

Borat
10-27-2008, 11:55 AM
Last I read, cutting Alex will save them $7M.

And also when they shitcan Jonas Jennings, there will be a considerable savings as well.

Babylon
10-27-2008, 11:58 AM
The team's a mess, they cant rush the QB (as was mentioned), the QB situation is a total disaster, no real receivers. As for what Singeltary can do Rick Pitino when coaching the Celtics made the classic comment "Larry Bird isnt walking through that door..........". Well Richard Dent, Dan Hampton, Wilbur Marshall..arent walking through that door either.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
10-27-2008, 12:00 PM
Props to Singletary for coming in and not taking any guff. Few coaches have the balls to pull that kind of act, and maybe it will set a precedent for the rest of the league. He took control, showed that those types of actions won't be accepted, and gained the respect of all the right players on his team. Players like VD are becoming more and more common, and that needs to change. Maybe something can be saved of his young career, but it isn't going to happen when he's such a dumbass. He has done absolutely nothing in his career to act the way that he does. He was a 6th overall pick who has been a bust, but acts like he is a stud.....he needs to get his head on straight and Singletary is helping him do that.

I think many players around the league would like to play for a guy like that also. Other franchises will have taken notice, as will have other players who want a team/winning attitude, as well as the credability that comes with being one of the best LBs of all-time. He demands respect and accountablility from all his players. Shouldn't be any other way....I really hope he is around long term as i want to see what he can do. You knew when he was a LB coach that he had it in him.

MasterShake
10-27-2008, 12:03 PM
This can't be right.

Right now = San Francisco $6.55 million

I doubt they are making 30 mil a year between them.

I'm pretty sure we have more than 6.55 mil under the 2009 cap right now.

Bruce Banner
10-27-2008, 12:05 PM
I'm pretty sure we have more than 6.55 mil under the 2009 cap right now.

The person that calculates these numbers is never wrong.....ever.

If it's not that exact number it is very close to that.

Borat
10-27-2008, 12:08 PM
I think what MasterShake meant earlier is that SF will be 30-35M under next year, not that losing VD + Alex = 30-35M

awfullyquiet
10-27-2008, 12:41 PM
Props to Singletary for coming in and not taking any guff. Few coaches have the balls to pull that kind of act, and maybe it will set a precedent for the rest of the league. He took control, showed that those types of actions won't be accepted, and gained the respect of all the right players on his team.

That won't win you games.

Other franchises will have taken notice, as will have other players who want a team/winning attitude, as well as the credability that comes with being one of the best LBs of all-time. He demands respect and accountablility from all his players. Shouldn't be any other way....I really hope he is around long term as i want to see what he can do. You knew when he was a LB coach that he had it in him.

I didn't. Sure he was smart. But i can name around 8 LB's who are better than mike singletary, with all the talent he had around him, i can make an argument that he's still outside the top 10... and being that good, number one, doesn't earn you respect... he needs to be able to produce what nolan couldn't... because, lets face it, he's still a relatively new coach. I want to know if he can make adjustments correctly. If he can scheme to his players strengths and his opponents weaknesses... I'm honestly a little skeptical.

Bruce Banner
10-27-2008, 12:49 PM
This isn't politics. You can't just put a good speaker in charge and surround him with people to make up for his complete lack of experience.

*cough*

Singletary will probably be unable to steer the ship towards a division title (a decent starting goal) and end up walking the plank like Nolan.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
10-27-2008, 12:53 PM
That won't win you games.

I didn't. Sure he was smart. But i can name around 8 LB's who are better than mike singletary, with all the talent he had around him, i can make an argument that he's still outside the top 10... and being that good, number one, doesn't earn you respect... he needs to be able to produce what nolan couldn't... because, lets face it, he's still a relatively new coach. I want to know if he can make adjustments correctly. If he can scheme to his players strengths and his opponents weaknesses... I'm honestly a little skeptical.

Not having control of your players won't win you games either, and gaining their respect can bring a team together and get guys to play hard for you, which wins games. Obviously there are other factors, but don't simply respond with 'that won't win you games', thanks for stating the obvious. Players want to play for someone who is passionate and shows heart, equality, and makes people accountable. Not all players obviously, but if you want a team atmosphere, it is a good place to start as any. We all know he has a lot to prove still, but for a first game he made an impact. They lost brutally, no doubt, but at least something came out of it. Most coaches learn early, so we'll see where things go from here.

Sooo, you can name 10 LBs better than him in the history of the NFL....and your point is what? I'll change my wording if it makes you feel better - He is probably one of the top 25 LBs in the history of the NFL, has been a part of some dominant defenses, coached some dominant players as a LB coach, and that should probably bring a level of respect from the players that will lead them to listen to what he has to say, and that they may learn something about what it takes to be a great player/team. Whether you think players will respect him for that or what he did last game is your opinion, but for a young coach to come in and make an impact like that does do something for the better good of the team and creates a feel in the room. Again, obviously he has to win games to go further, so your not really stating anything no one new, before or after there last game, but my point is that at least something posive came out of a bad game. He doesn't have the most talent (QB especially), i want to see what type of players he brings in and their philosophy.

703SKINS202
10-27-2008, 12:59 PM
This is going to make the best coors light commercial ever. His rant on VD was badass.

Bruce Banner
10-27-2008, 01:01 PM
This is going to make the best coors light commercial ever. His rant on VD was badass.

That rant was embarrassing. You don't throw players under the bus publicly. If the Niners fail because of ANY coaching, I wouldn't care if VD went to the media and **** all over the coaching staff.

awfullyquiet
10-27-2008, 01:02 PM
Not having control of your players won't win you games either, and gaining their respect can bring a team together and get guys to play hard for you, which wins games. Obviously there are other factors, but don't simply respond with 'that won't win you games', thanks for stating the obvious. Players want to play for someone who is passionate and shows heart, equality, and makes people accountable. Not all players obviously, but if you want a team atmosphere, it is a good place to start as any. We all know he has a lot to prove still, but for a first game he made an impact. They lost brutally, no doubt, but at least something came out of it. Most coaches learn early, so we'll see where things go from here.

You can be tough on your players all you want... You can have their respect... at the end of the day, they want to win, if you can't provide them what they want, there's no way they'll respect you on a professional level. I do not see Samurai, as much as i personally respect him as a person, a coach, and a human, as being able to do this job yet.

Sooo, you can name 10 LBs better than him in the history of the NFL....and your point is what? I'll change my wording if it makes you feel better - He is probably one of the top 25 LBs in the history of the NFL, has been a part of some dominant defenses, coached some dominant players as a LB coach, and that should probably bring a level of respect from the players that will lead them to listen to what he has to say, and that they may learn something about what it takes to be a great player/team. Whether you think players will respect him for that or what he did last game is your opinion, but for a young coach to come in and make an impact like that does do something for the better good of the team and creates a feel in the room. Again, obviously he has to win games to go further, so your not really stating anything no one new, before or after there last game, but my point is that at least something posive came out of a bad game. He doesn't have the most talent (QB especially), i want to see what type of players he brings in and their philosophy.

He coached in Baltimore for one year. Hardly anything more than getting your feet wet. He's coached Spikes and Willis for a year and a half... Hardly anything to say "he coached good LB's"... As far as a defensive coach. Mike Nolan is better than Singletary right now. As far as botching the situation in the past, Singletary cannot make up for that, he can be better than nolan... but that doesn't change the situation that he's in which is a no-win situation... i don't care how hard you are on your players or how soft you are... it will not matter if you can't perform from the sidelines.

Borat
10-27-2008, 01:11 PM
That rant was embarrassing. You don't throw players under the bus publicly. If the Niners fail because of ANY coaching, I wouldn't care if VD went to the media and **** all over the coaching staff.

Honestly, are you just saying this to stir up stuff, or do you really believe it. Cause VD is a petulant little *****. What Singletary did was best for him.

Gay Ork Wang
10-27-2008, 01:11 PM
First part of the first sentence

Gay Ork Wang
10-27-2008, 01:20 PM
Whether the union actually occurs is questionable. But the San Francisco 49ers want to talk to Condoleezza Rice about a high-level position within the organization, and the United States Secretary of State is interested in listening.

Rice could be a perfect candidate to become the 49ers president, helping the team try to procure the new stadium they desperately need.

One high-ranking 49ers official said last week, “If she’s interested in talking to us, I’m interested in talking to her.” Rice has told friends as recently as last week she would love to become president of an NFL team.

Even better, she is planning to return in January to Stanford, where she served as provost from 1993 to 1999. The two sides were trying to connect over the weekend, and both sides think the issue is worth exploring.

Rice is an enormous football fan who once aspired to be commissioner, before Roger Goodell succeeded Paul Tagliabue. She followed the Cleveland Browns while growing up in Alabama, and then later moved to Denver, where she became a Broncos fan. Rice even dated former Broncos wide receiver Rick Upchurch and hosted the baby shower for the wife of former Broncos nose tackle Rubin Carter when she was pregnant with baby Andre, who since has gone on to become a standout defensive end for the Washington Redskins.
http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/10/26/49ers-interested-in-condoleezza-rice/

iowatreat54
10-27-2008, 01:24 PM
This isn't politics. You can't just put a good speaker in charge and surround him with people to make up for his complete lack of experience.

*cough*

Singletary will probably be unable to steer the ship towards a division title (a decent starting goal) and end up walking the plank like Nolan.

yes, but if he surrounds himself with a staff that is very experienced and successful, he will be able to succeed

and you can't not like a guy for not following the failing path/methods of his predecessor

*cough*

Bruce Banner
10-27-2008, 01:27 PM
yes, but if he surrounds himself with a staff that is very experienced and successful, he will be able to succeed

and you can't not like a guy for not following the failing path/methods as his predecessor

*cough*

1. If he has to surround himself with others to make up for his lack of knowledge, he doesn't need to be a head coach.
2. I don't like him for his intended methods/paths because they too are destined to fail.

Gay Ork Wang
10-27-2008, 01:29 PM
1. If he has to surround himself with others to make up for his lack of knowledge, he doesn't need to be a head coach.
2. I don't like him for his intended methods/paths because they too are destined to fail.
like coughlin?

Bruce Banner
10-27-2008, 01:30 PM
like coughlin?

I think we underrate Coughlin a lot, especially around here.

Gay Ork Wang
10-27-2008, 01:31 PM
I think we underrate Coughlin a lot, especially around here.
isnt coughlin the same "tyrant"?

iowatreat54
10-27-2008, 01:31 PM

1. but said assistants aren't necessarily good at running a whole team, as has been seen many times in the past, so they need a figure at the top to run the team while they do what they are best at

2. so rather than the possibility of positive change, you would like to see them stay in the same system, with the same decisions that have been failing for a while, albeit just a new coach? I don't understand...

Bruce Banner
10-27-2008, 01:34 PM
isnt coughlin the same "tyrant"?

I don't see Singletary lightening his grip.

1. but said assistants aren't necessarily good at running a whole team, as has been seen many times in the past, so they need a figure at the top to run the team while they do what they are best at

2. so rather than the possibility of positive change, you would like to see them stay in the same system, with the same decisions that have been failing for a while, albeit just a new coach? I don't understand...

1. Running a team? A guy that walks around saying good job or do better? Because that's all I'm seeing at this point. He doesn't even motivate, as you can see by their performance last week.
2. Nolan got a bad wrap. Was in a terrible situation and made choices that most others saw as "acceptable" at the time.

I guess you have to blame SOMEONE when things are going bad.

iowatreat54
10-27-2008, 01:36 PM
I don't see Singletary lightening his grip.

1. Running a team? A guy that walks around saying good job or do better? Because that's all I'm seeing at this point. He doesn't even motivate, as you can see by their performance last week.
2. Nolan got a bad wrap. Was in a terrible situation and made choices that most others saw as "acceptable" at the time.

1. I also base all my judgments on a week at the helm and one game
2. I was referring to the whole system/administration, not just Nolan, who did fall into a crappy situation *cough* because anyone expecting a miraculous turnaround is very dumb

Bruce Banner
10-27-2008, 01:39 PM
1. I also base all my judgments on a week at the helm and one game
2. I was referring to the whole system/administration, not just Nolan, who did fall into a crappy situation *cough* because anyone expecting a miraculous turnaround is very dumb

1. His team didn't rally behind him or support him when he really needed them most (the early stages of his career). A bad sign of things to come.
2. Lets squash it now to prevent infractions.

Bruce Banner
10-27-2008, 01:42 PM
It's just a matter of time before he brings "his guys" in and starts to jettison the ones that don't believe his "old school" philosophy.

iowatreat54
10-27-2008, 01:44 PM
1. His team didn't rally behind him or support him when he really needed them most (the early stages of his career). A bad sign of things to come.
2. Lets squash it now to prevent infractions.

fair enough...I just love Singletary and really want him to succeed, and I love that he is putting a recognizable player in his place...but just like with Nolan, he might have fallen into a situation that is extremely hard to overcome

and this was fun while it lasted ;)

Vikes99ej
10-27-2008, 01:44 PM
They should go after Julius Peppers in FA.

I know Peppers isn't the greatest pass rusher in the world, but Id love to see a rebuilding project in SF with a 4-3 defense with Peppers on the line, Willis at MIKE and Clements at CB. Thats 3 nice building blocks to feed off of.

They'd have to find some place to put Justin Smith. I know they put hella lotta money in him.

PACKmanN
10-27-2008, 01:56 PM
looks like Mike Ditka thought him right.

bigbluedefense
10-27-2008, 02:03 PM
For those that want to say that Singletary can't get the job done bc he lacks the X and O magic, I disagree.

I cite Bill Cowher. Bill Cowher was never a great X and O coach. But he surrounded himself with great coaches, and he preached fundamentals and toughness which resonated with his teams. Cowher wasn't a great coach bc he outsmarted you. Cowher was a great coach bc he taught his teams to be tough, physical, and mentally strong.

Coughlin is another guy who wouldn't wow you with his Xs and Os, but moreso introduced toughness to his teams which leads to consistent play.

A head coach's job isn't necessarily to X and O the other team to death. Not every coach needs to do that. The HC of a team is moreso a guy who reflects an ideology and personality of what the team is to become.

Every team takes on the personality of their coach. If you have a tough coach, you'll have a tough team. If you have a coach who panics, your team will panic. If you have a smart coach, your players will flock to that and play smart. Etc etc etc. Teams take after the personality of their coach. Thats his biggest contribution to the team. Always.

Singletary may not have the X and O experience, but he's going to bring toughness, accountability, intelligence, and heart to that team over time. Its not an immediate process, sometimes with teams it takes a good 2 to 3 years to weed out the garbage and mold the team after the coach, but he will fix the mentality of this team. The most important thing when turning around a franchise is changing the culture and mentality. Singletary can fix that. He's a natural leader. Thats what a HC is all about. Leadership.

This team will eventually, if they give Singletary a chance, reflect the personality of its HC. And thats a great personality to mold your team after.

Menardo75
10-27-2008, 02:04 PM

This was way long overdue for Vernon. He has been babied ever since he first stepped foot. He has never been chewed for anything this had to happen.

Geo
10-27-2008, 02:34 PM
I like Singletary, but the more I think about, the more I feel he went overboard. Benching him and then talk to him about it afterwards, after the game, should have been done imo.

But to send him to the locker room early? Overreaction, considering VD didn't speak back at Singletary or anything like that.

And then the post-game presser ... honestly, I suspect Singletary was trying to send a message to Mike Martz and the team, but it comes off horrible for Davis. Not to mention he was the guy who almost caught Josh Wilson on that interception return.

He made a stupid, stupid penalty, and yes he has issues as a whole in terms of studying his playbook, but I think Singletary went way too far with him. I can't say I dislike the emotion, but Singletary needs to keep a clear and clam head on his shoulders if he's going to be a head coach. That might fly as a defensive coordinator (which he hasn't even been that if I recall), but not as a HC.

VD might have learned something, hopefully Singletary also learned from his own stupid mistake.

FlyingElvis
10-27-2008, 02:44 PM
I like the fact that he made it clear he won't take any BS. But I agree that burning the guy in the post game PC was too much. He should have downplayed that at least long enough to talk to the player & see if it could be worked out.

Making a big show out of it doesn't really help anyone. Now it's going to be a circus for weeks w/everyone (especially Mike & Davis) scrutinized for every move they make. Way to right the ship by causing a big, fat media hoopla to act as a major distraction.

Borat
10-27-2008, 02:47 PM
Not really Geo. VD has 2.5 years of stupid incidents that went unpunished. I'm sure Singletary wanted to discipline him many times in the past, but couldn't because he was just a LB coach. It didn't surprise me that the first time VD acted like a 12-year old child on the field, he put the hammer down. VD NEEDS this, whether he realizes it or not. He NEEDS someone to show him how to act like a normal person.

Menardo75
10-27-2008, 02:47 PM
I like Singletary, but the more I think about, the more I feel he went overboard. Benching him and then talk to him about it afterwards, after the game, should have been done imo.

But to send him to the locker room early? Overreaction, considering VD didn't speak back at Singletary or anything like that.

And then the post-game presser ... honestly, I suspect Singletary was trying to send a message to Mike Martz and the team, but it comes off horrible for Davis. Not to mention he was the guy who almost caught Josh Wilson on that interception return.

He made a stupid, stupid penalty, and yes he has issues as a whole in terms of studying his playbook, but I think Singletary went way too far with him. I can't say I dislike the emotion, but Singletary needs to keep a clear and clam head on his shoulders if he's going to be a head coach. That might fly as a defensive coordinator (which he hasn't even been that if I recall), but not as a HC.

VD might have learned something, hopefully Singletary also learned from his own stupid mistake.

Vernon did talk back to Singletary. Mike was not so much pissed about the penalty, but the fact that Vernon did not understand that he did anything wrong. Also the fact that he got yelled at and instead of standing on the sidelines ready to play and supporting his teams he just sat on the bench.

“You don’t need to be sayin’ nothin’ to me right now,” Davis barked at the coach, according to witnesses. Singletary ordered Davis to take a seat on the bench, and shortly thereafter the coach approached and stressed the importance of avoiding stupid penalties.

“I said I don’t need to hear it,” Davis snapped, cutting him off.

Singletary told Davis to go take a shower, and as the Niners were driving for their first and only touchdown of the game, the tight end was waving his helmet at what was left of the announced crowd of 67,504 and heading through the tunnel.

Upon reaching the locker room, Davis took his helmet and threw it violently against a wall, according to one eyewitness.

Meanwhile, on the 49ers’ sidelines, most of Davis’ teammates were quietly singing the praises of ‘Coach Sing.’ ”

Explained one veteran defender: “Vernon does this crap all the time, and Nolan would always let it go. He created this monster. The good news is that Coach Sing wasn’t having that.”

Added another veteran defender: “No one’s bigger than the team, right? We were all happy to see that this (expletive) won’t be tolerated.”

The Great Jonathan Vilma
10-27-2008, 02:52 PM

I'm under the impression that he did speak back.....at least I read that he did in at least one article. Similarly, it was his attitude afterwards that also contributed to the response, not to mention the history of the player. Let us not act like people just react to one event. If someone was stupid or cocky for a long time in something i was apart of, it may take one specific incident to finally set something off.

I agree the afterwards press conference may have been a little much, but the point is now made, he was made an example of, he can either cry or come back and show what he's got. At this point it wouldn't be a big loss if he doesn't come back positive. I agree you never want to lose a high pick with physical ability and talent, but he can't live off hype forever. I do like his effort on the interception return though, he showed serious hustle and speed.

Geo
10-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Vernon did talk back to Singletary. Mike was not so much pissed about the penalty, but the fact that Vernon did not understand that he did anything wrong. Also the fact that he got yelled at and instead of standing on the sidelines ready to play and supporting his teams he just sat on the bench.
Ah, okay, I wasn't aware of that. Great stuff, thanks. Then I can see kicking him off the field.

Babylon
10-27-2008, 05:16 PM
I'm totally in Singeltary's camp here but i also would like to see them get someone there that can actually throw the ball more than 20 yards down the field and use Davis accordingly.

Gay Ork Wang
10-27-2008, 05:17 PM
Culpepper???

BeerBaron
10-27-2008, 05:30 PM
Culpepper???

No one could learn Mike Martz offense on the fly this quick......the guys on the roster are who he's going to have to use this year.

Babylon
10-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Culpepper???

Dont know how he'd work with Martz but what they have there isnt the answer.

Borat
10-27-2008, 05:40 PM
I'm totally in Singeltary's camp here but i also would like to see them get someone there that can actually throw the ball more than 20 yards down the field and use Davis accordingly.

How the hell is anyone going to "use Davis accordingly?" I guess they'd have to find a quarterback that was fast enough to run downfield with the ball and then physically shove the ball into Davis' body therefore causing this clumsy idiot to not drop the it every damn play.

Babylon
10-27-2008, 05:49 PM
How the hell is anyone going to "use Davis accordingly?" I guess they'd have to find a quarterback that was fast enough to run downfield with the ball and then physically shove the ball into Davis' body therefore causing this clumsy idiot to not drop the it every damn play.

All i'm saying is utilize his speed, i'm not saying he's Antonio Gates as a TE but wasnt he supposed to be this great athlete?

BeerBaron
10-27-2008, 05:52 PM
All i'm saying is utilize his speed, i'm not saying he's Antonio Gates as a TE but wasnt he supposed to be this great athlete?

aye, but he has issues with agility, pass catching, blocking.......pretty much everything that doesn't involve running in a straight line.

Makes me glad his 40 time put him out of the Bears draft reach that year.....and makes me ever gladder that we got Greg Olsen the next year :)

Babylon
10-27-2008, 05:58 PM
aye, but he has issues with agility, pass catching, blocking.......pretty much everything that doesn't involve running in a straight line.

Makes me glad his 40 time put him out of the Bears draft reach that year.....and makes me ever gladder that we got Greg Olsen the next year :)

I guess i was duped into thinking that this guy was this freak athlete that had good hands and agility coming out of college. I'll defer to others that see him a lot more than i do but i just dont get this total flop as a player.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
10-27-2008, 06:05 PM
I guess i was duped into thinking that this guy was this freak athlete that had good hands and agility coming out of college. I'll defer to others that see him a lot more than i do but i just dont get this total flop as a player.

Thus far he just appears to be one of those hype machines, aka workout warrior. He's got an ego to, so the combo doesn't really work out. I still think he can be an effective player, and i'm very interested to see what he does the rest of his career. I don't know if the systems he's been in have helped his cause, but i'm certainly not taking the blame off of him, he's been bad.

Borat
10-27-2008, 06:10 PM
You can't really blame the systems because there are soooooooo many times where he's open, the ball is thrown on time and accurately, and he flatout drops it. I really wanted him to succeed, but I'm just finished trying to defend him or make excuses. It's not the systems, it's not the quarterbacks, it's not the defenses, it's Vernon. He can't catch. And when he miraculously holds on to a pass, he then starts pounding his chest and acting like a clown.

Basileus777
10-27-2008, 06:14 PM

Vernon Davis isn't as physically talented as he is made out to be. He's an undersized TE with stiff hips who just happens to be able to run fast in a straight line. Not being able to catch, run routes, or understand the playbook doesn't help either.

Menardo75
10-27-2008, 10:43 PM
I think if Singletary motivates him he will be ok. At the end of the year last year he started to really come on strong when Shaun Hill came into the lineup.

Shane P. Hallam
10-27-2008, 11:03 PM
And with Hill starting again, hopefully it works out.

Menardo75
10-27-2008, 11:16 PM
Hope so I seriously believe if you take away half of J.T.'s turnovers the Niners maybe have two more wins. Just sucks I have to wait two weeks to see what happens.

nikkayeah
10-28-2008, 02:02 AM
Hope so I seriously believe if you take away half of J.T.'s turnovers the Niners maybe have two more wins. Just sucks I have to wait two weeks to see what happens.

JTO singlehandedly lost the saints game for us by throwing TWO interceptions in the endzone!

Menardo75
10-28-2008, 02:44 AM
And the Eagles game with 3 turnovers in the 4th quarter. The Giants game. This last game against the seahawks. Thats four.

Sniper
10-28-2008, 06:54 AM
And the Eagles game with 3 turnovers in the 4th quarter.

Yes, thank you for that.

Saints-Tigers
10-28-2008, 08:23 AM
Thus far he just appears to be one of those hype machines, aka workout warrior. He's got an ego to, so the combo doesn't really work out. I still think he can be an effective player, and i'm very interested to see what he does the rest of his career. I don't know if the systems he's been in have helped his cause, but i'm certainly not taking the blame off of him, he's been bad.

It's not like he was just a workout warrior, he was highly productive player in college.

Sniper
10-28-2008, 08:28 AM
It's not like he was just a workout warrior, he was highly productive player in college.

Indeed he was. Check out his stats from his junior year at Maryland

51 catches, 871 yards, 17.1 ypc, 6 TD

17.1 ypc for a tight end is un-*******-believable.

FlyingElvis
10-28-2008, 10:04 AM
Vernon Davis isn't as physically talented as he is made out to be. He's an undersized TE with stiff hips who just happens to be able to run fast in a straight line. Not being able to catch, run routes, or understand the playbook doesn't help either.

Route running and the drops are really why this guy sucks. When you fail to get open you get the QB killed. And when you drop balls on the few occasions you get it right and are open you kill the team.

Both things can be worked on. Sadly, this clown does not seem to work on anything. My assumption, of course, since I don't see or hear much about him - but Mike Sing went off on him for a reason. His comments about VD not being a team guy point to his lack of effort, imo.

LonghornsLegend
10-28-2008, 12:21 PM
Indeed he was. Check out his stats from his junior year at Maryland

51 catches, 871 yards, 17.1 ypc, 6 TD

17.1 ypc for a tight end is un-*******-believable.

That is pretty sick, especially in an offense that wasn't really explosive, so it's easy to see why teams fell in love with the measurables...He's still got a long way to go though, he will probably end up a bust because I don't think he's going to live up to a top 10 status but if he gets his head where it needs to be and learns the little things he could become a good starter.

He didn't sound like a **** afterwards in interviews which was good to hear, he was probably pissed off too, but he didn't jaw back to Singletary on the sideline or bash him in interviews, given the opportunity alot of players may of done different so that shows me he's a good kid who just has to mature.

Menardo75
10-28-2008, 12:29 PM
That is pretty sick, especially in an offense that wasn't really explosive, so it's easy to see why teams fell in love with the measurables...He's still got a long way to go though, he will probably end up a bust because I don't think he's going to live up to a top 10 status but if he gets his head where it needs to be and learns the little things he could become a good starter.

He didn't sound like a **** afterwards in interviews which was good to hear, he was probably pissed off too, but he didn't jaw back to Singletary on the sideline or bash him in interviews, given the opportunity alot of players may of done different so that shows me he's a good kid who just has to mature.

He did jaw back to Singletary thats most of the reason why Singletary freaked out. It sounds like Vernon is taking this to heart so that is good.

Menardo75
10-30-2008, 02:18 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/...ass-literally/

No way this is true knowing the kind of guy Mike is.

FlyingElvis
10-30-2008, 02:50 PM
Guess you're right, since the page is no longer available.

Vikes99ej
10-30-2008, 04:02 PM
Guess you're right, since the page is no longer available.

It's still on the page if you go to it.

FlyingElvis
10-30-2008, 04:16 PM
I found it shortly after that post - funny stuff. It would be pretty damn funny if he actually stood there w/his pants at his ankles the whole time, but I doubt it.

awfullyquiet
10-30-2008, 04:25 PM
It's still on the page if you go to it.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/30/singletary-confirms-halftime-pants-drop/

Yatta!
10-30-2008, 04:27 PM
ESPN has it as well.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3673441

WinslowEdwards19
10-30-2008, 04:59 PM
That's hilarious..

Babylon
10-30-2008, 05:03 PM
ESPN has it as well.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3673441

I hope Ditka and Ryan never did that, that would be something you wouldnt want to see.

Menardo75
10-31-2008, 02:42 AM
I don't know what to believe now. At the end of the ESPN story John Clayton said the story was not true. Then one of the local reporters has quotes from Singletary...

niel89
10-31-2008, 03:42 AM
I don't know what to believe now. At the end of the ESPN story John Clayton said the story was not true. Then one of the local reporters has quotes from Singletary...

the story is true, they just had incorrect sourcing on it

Loggerhead
10-31-2008, 06:12 PM
Singletary is starting to remind me of Martz in the sense that he lacks people skills. His antics are just going to alienate his players and make him a pariah. He needs to keep things in house, but when he does stuff like the news conference he is just going to drive a wedge between him and his players. Singletary has what it takes to be a successfull coach, he just needs to keep his emotions in check.