PDA

View Full Version : Beckum done for season

ammandss
10-26-2008, 09:28 PM
Looks like Travis Beckum is done for the season with a broken fibula.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3665522

illmatic74
10-26-2008, 09:38 PM
Too bad. Hopefully he is ready for the combine.

holt_bruce81
10-26-2008, 09:43 PM
Too bad. Hopefully he is ready for the combine.

He should be, I think it usually takes 2-3 months to heal from an injury like that.

BeerBaron
10-26-2008, 09:47 PM
Aye. Bone heals really quick and clean compared to things like ACL's. He should be good to go by then.

Brent
10-26-2008, 09:52 PM
If he falls, someone is going to get a nice prize.

illmatic74
10-26-2008, 09:53 PM
If he falls, someone is going to get a nice prize. He might be the next Chris Cooley

10-26-2008, 09:55 PM
He might be the next Chris Cooley

And why is that ?

Malaka
10-26-2008, 10:00 PM
That sucks, his stock will definitely go down, at least he can make it to the combine. He is still my #4 TE however.

1. Jermaine Gresham
2. Chase Coffman
3. Brandon Pettigrew
4. Travis Beckum

That is my top 4.

illmatic74
10-26-2008, 10:12 PM
And why is that ? He is another h-back type like Cooley.

SuperKevin
10-26-2008, 11:34 PM
Has Beckum added any weight this season?

eaglesalltheway
10-27-2008, 06:35 AM
It doesn't look like it, unless he lost fat and added soem muscle. I haven't seen him with his shirt off, so I can't tell;), but looking at him in his uniform, it doesn;t look like he's gained weight.

eaglesalltheway
10-27-2008, 06:39 AM
He is another h-back type like Cooley.

I disagree with you there, even when Cooley was in more of the backfield instead of more commonly in the traditional TE alginment. Cooley has and had more "extra" on his body than Beckum does. It also seems like Beckum is a little more athletic than Cooley. They don't have similar body types at all. They may be good in similar roles, but they aren't similar players IMO. Cooley isn't nearly as shifty as Beckum and I rarely see Beckum take on a defneder, though Colley doesn't always do that either.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-27-2008, 07:20 AM
Beckum is closer to Dante Rosario than Chris Cooley. People don't realize that Cooley is this good because of his intelligence. One of the smartest TE's as a blocker and route runner, I mean there is a reason why he's so good despite being slower than Chris Samuels.

eaglesalltheway
10-27-2008, 07:37 AM
Beckum is closer to Dante Rosario than Chris Cooley. People don't realize that Cooley is this good because of his intelligence. One of the smartest TE's as a blocker and route runner, I mean there is a reason why he's so good despite being slower than Chris Samuels.

For some reason, that made me laugh my tucas off.

Thats right, tucas;).

I agree with the post too actually, he also has great use of his body and good hands, Cooley that is.

rockio42
10-27-2008, 08:18 AM
I don't get why people always compare these fast smaller type TEs to Chris Cooley considering hes a good blocker and not very fast

SeanTaylorRIP
10-27-2008, 09:02 AM
I don't get why people always compare these fast smaller type TEs to Chris Cooley considering hes a good blocker and not very fast

Exactly I hardly consider Cooley to be similar to Dallas Clark other than their lack of melanin. I guess my best comparison for Beckum would be Dustin Keller or something. Cooley is a strange dude. He shouldn't get that many yards but he just does. He is like a bowling ball and just keeps bouncing off dudes. I swear when he makes a cut everything goes into slow motion. It's like his cuts are so slow that the defender can't believe it and time slows down and they end up whiffing.

rockio42
10-27-2008, 09:20 AM
Exactly I hardly consider Cooley to be similar to Dallas Clark other than their lack of melanin. I guess my best comparison for Beckum would be Dustin Keller or something. Cooley is a strange dude. He shouldn't get that many yards but he just does. He is like a bowling ball and just keeps bouncing off dudes. I swear when he makes a cut everything goes into slow motion. It's like his cuts are so slow that the defender can't believe it and time slows down and they end up whiffing.

Yah, if people say Cooley is the prototypical H-Back I don't understand how you can use the word H-Back in the same sentence as Travis Beckum or Dustin Kellar without the word "not" in there soemwhere

Menardo75
10-28-2008, 12:09 AM
Yeah I really do not know how Kellar was a first round pick. I still think if Beckum is ready for the combine and he puts up good numbers like he should then he will probably sneak into the second round.

eaglesalltheway
10-28-2008, 06:33 AM

I like that comparison...

You just described me when I have the ball in my hands...

Larry121283
10-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Not a big fan of his. Just not a TE, IMO.

More like a slow WR then a TE. I'd take a good number of TEs over him.

Hope he gets well though and succeeds.

Larry121283
10-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Yeah I really do not know how Kellar was a first round pick. I still think if Beckum is ready for the combine and he puts up good numbers like he should then he will probably sneak into the second round.
Drafted as more of a weapon in the passing game then a pure TE. He has enough skill on the line to play well, can play out of the backfield, line him up in the slot. You can do a lot of things with Keller. All that, and he still maintains his speed and gets separation.

Don't quite see that with a guy like Beckum. Not as good of an athlete and doesn't have the strength of Keller.

toddmlazarchick
10-29-2008, 12:01 AM
Cooley isn't nearly as shifty as Beckum and I rarely see Beckum take on a defneder, though Colley doesn't always do that either.

Dude do you watch Cooley play at all? When does he not take on 2 or more defenders?

Menardo75
10-29-2008, 01:39 AM
Drafted as more of a weapon in the passing game then a pure TE. He has enough skill on the line to play well, can play out of the backfield, line him up in the slot. You can do a lot of things with Keller. All that, and he still maintains his speed and gets separation.

Don't quite see that with a guy like Beckum. Not as good of an athlete and doesn't have the strength of Keller.

I think Beckum would be a better weapon in the passing game. He has been more productive.

Mr. Stiller
10-29-2008, 01:43 AM
I see Thannon Tharpe out of Beckum.

eaglesalltheway
10-29-2008, 06:52 AM
Dude do you watch Cooley play at all? When does he not take on 2 or more defenders?

I said doesn't always do it. He does it, just not all the time. Beckum never does. Cool your jets man :cool:

eaglesalltheway
10-29-2008, 06:53 AM
Not a big fan of his. Just not a TE, IMO.

More like a slow WR then a TE. I'd take a good number of TEs over him.

Hope he gets well though and succeeds.

I feel the same way, I just don't like him nearly as much as some of the other TE prospects.

murdamal86
12-27-2008, 03:45 PM
Where do you guys NOW feel he will go in the draft now that the season has played out?

energizerbunny
12-28-2008, 11:05 PM
He is still going to be a sought after prospect, he is the classic seam stretcher and it will really come down to how he performs comming off the injury.

Keller wasn't a first rounder until he worked out and Beckum will be very similar, I actually think at this point Beckum is a slightly better prospect.

If Beckum can hit the weights and train like K2 did his draft year where he pilled on some solid mass after the season Beckum may get some looks in the late 1st-early 2nd. As he offers the rare ability to stretch the seams that many NFL teams covet.