PDA

View Full Version : Overrated/ Underrated

BamaFalcon59
10-26-2008, 10:26 PM
Anyone got any of these for any position. Here are mine per position, limiting it to one overrated, one underrated per position. Only draft eligible players.

Quarterback
Overrated- Graham Harrell, Texas Tech.
Underrated- Josh Freeman, Kansas State

Runningback
Overrated- James Davis, Clemson
Underrated- Andre Brown, North Carolina State

Wide Receiver
Overrated- Percy Harvin, Florida
Underrated- Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech.

Tight End
Overrated- Travis Beckum, Wisconsin
Underrated- Shawn Nelson, Southern Mississippi

Offensive Line (any position; tackle, guard, or center)
Overrated- OT/ OG Jamon Meredith, South Carolina
Underrated- OL Antoine Caldwell, Alabama

Defensive End
Overrated- Greg Hardy, Ole Miss
Underrated- George Selvie, South Florida

Defensive Tackle
Overrated- Fili Moala, Southern Cal.
Underrated- BJ Raji, Boston College

Outside Linebacker
Overrated- Brian Toal, Boston College
Underrated- Marcus Freeman, Ohio State

Middle Linebacker
Overrated- Derry Beckwith, Louisiana State
Underrated- Jasper Brinkley, South Carolina

Safety
Overrated- Courtney Greene, Rutgers
Underrated- Derek Pegues, Mississippi State

Cornerback
Overrated- Darius Butler, Connecticut
Underrated- Victor 'Macho' Harris, Virginia Tech.

sodar21
10-26-2008, 10:28 PM
Most of your underrated's are overrated.

BamaFalcon59
10-26-2008, 10:36 PM
Like?

And that would be a matter of opinion.

giantsfan
10-26-2008, 10:40 PM
Wide Receiver
Overrated- Percy Harvin, Florida
Underrated- Michael Crabtree, Texas Tech.

Overrated- OT/ OG Jamon Meredith, South Carolina
Underrated- OL Antoine Caldwell, Alabama

Defensive End
Overrated- Greg Hardy, Ole Miss
Underrated- George Selvie, South Florida

Defensive Tackle
Overrated- Fili Moala, Southern Cal.
Underrated- BJ Raji, Boston College

I disagree with these. If Harvin is improperly rated he's under-rated because he gets a lot of hate and is generally considered over-rated by most people. Crabtree is being considered as a top 5-10 pick how is that under-rated for a 4.5 guy?

Why do you think Meredith is over-rated? He has shown the tools to be a Franchise LT with work and his tools should warrant a late first, early second pick, right where he's currently projected.

Hardy's a top 20 pick right now and physically he's the number two DE in this draft atm. Selvie's great but his lack of size will hurt him in the NFL but he's still being viewed as a mid first round pick which is where he should go.

And Maola's stock has dropped hard this season, at this point he's just an enigma. If you're looking for an Under-rated DT might I recommend you check out Duke DT Vince Oghabaase. Dude's a beast and unlike other big boys like terrance cody this year and guys like branch and watson in the past he's done a great job of keeping his weight under control and his stamina high.

BamaFalcon59
10-26-2008, 10:55 PM
I disagree with these. If Harvin is improperly rated he's under-rated because he gets a lot of hate and is generally considered over-rated by most people. Crabtree is being considered as a top 5-10 pick how is that under-rated for a 4.5 guy?

I think Harvin is just too raw. Not enough time at receiver, and not productive enough. He is a poor mans Maclin.

A lot of people have Crabtree in the 10-15 range, which I disagree with. He has all of the tools, and in my opinion is on the Larry Fitzgerald/ Braylon Edwards level and should be considered a top 5-10 lock.

Why do you think Meredith is over-rated? He has shown the tools to be a Franchise LT with work and his tools should warrant a late first, early second pick, right where he's currently projected.

Apparently he has struggled with speed rushers, and as an athletic, somewhat undersized offensive tackle that is worrisome. I may consider him in the middle of round two or later, but not higher than that.

Hardy's a top 20 pick right now and physically he's the number two DE in this draft atm. Selvie's great but his lack of size will hurt him in the NFL but he's still being viewed as a mid first round pick which is where he should go.

Many think Hardy will be a top five pick and may be the same type of freak athlete as Julius Peppers. I think Hardy will be great, but considering character and injury concerns I don't think he is at that level right now. Also, I think his tools are being overrated. 6'4" 265 4.7 is great, but it isn't on the level of Peppers (6'7" 285 4.68? 40 yard dash) or Mario Williams (6'7" 295 4.66 35 bench reps of 225 40.5 inch vertical). And looking back, my gosh Mario Williams is almost inhuman.

And Maola's stock has dropped hard this season, at this point he's just an enigma. If you're looking for an Under-rated DT might I recommend you check out Duke DT Vince Oghabaase. Dude's a beast and unlike other big boys like terrance cody this year and guys like branch and watson in the past he's done a great job of keeping his weight under control and his stamina high.

Oghabaase is good, not sure if I think he is underrated. He has a ton of athleticism and is a smart player, but he is more of a penetrator than anything and with his height leverage may be a problem. Similar to Tommy Kelly in Oakland, although Oghabaase is a bit bigger.

Thanks for the comments.

BeerBaron
10-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Crabtree was beastly in all I've seen of him and probably a sure top 10 pick as long as he doesn't run Dwayne Jarrett slow.... (Fitzgerald went 3rd and he was no speed demon. Not saying they're on the same level but it is an example of how a WR can still go high even if he's on the slow side)

Actually.....I kind of think I'd agree a lot more if your Overrateds and Underrates were switch other than Crabtree....who is I think pretty properly rated atm.

giantsfan
10-27-2008, 12:32 AM
Harvin's raw but his hand have shown very steady improvement and he's a kid who works really hard. He put on quite a bit of muscle over the offseason and is going to be a playmaker at the NFL level. He might lack the consistency of a true number one but I see him like Desean Jackson with better size and bulk. A poor man's Maclin sure, but maclin's being projected a good 10-15 picks ahead of Harvin at the moment.

Hardy's physical attributes are a strength, but what's really been driving his stock is how much of a beast he's been when he's been on the field. Again he's also a hard worker and so I don't see his "character concerns" as a major issue.

As for Meredith he's still adjusting to playing in space he's raw but has shown a tough streak alongside incredibly quick feet.

Big O has a good 20 pounds on Tommy Kelly already. He has a great first step which lets him shoot through against his opposition level but he has the size and power to be factor against the run. He's got a good chance to go in the first round or at least early round two.

foozball
10-27-2008, 01:02 AM
you want overrated at DE? michael johnson...

michael crabtree cannot be considered underrated. complaining over a few picks is just petty. i will agree that percy harvin is a bit overrated, but he's got some insane tools. im wondering how he compares to ted ginn.

fili moala WAS overrated. he's back to where he should be now.

greg hardy is...meh. he's getting more pub now mostly due to michael johnson being somewhat of a disappointment and the overall weak class of DEs. if this was 2 weeks ago, hardy would be way underrated. he's pretty much a prototypical DE measurables-wise and he's got the production to back it up. the top 5 talk is nonsense. he does have a few character issues. however, he is a really good athlete and he really is producing like an elite DE in the toughest conference in America. top 10 isnt out of the question though. while his measurables aren't insane, they are pretty much what you look for in a DE.

brian toal? i dont think a guy most have never heard of can be considered overrated.

i think darius butler is right around where he should be, which is a mid 2nd rounder. he's got good size/speed and uconn has been on the upswing which has given him a little more exposure. if you want an overrated CB, i think bruce johnson is more overrated than butler.

TickOffOurBestPlayer
10-27-2008, 07:01 AM
Underrated:

Marlon Lucky, Orion Martin, Antoine Caldwell, Clay Matthews, Xavier Fulton

SeanTaylorRIP
10-27-2008, 07:17 AM
There are some weird inconsistencies in your rankings and your definition of “overrated” and underrated. It appears to me that you are confusing a bit of college hype and true pro prospect. Just like Graham Harrell, he is a great college QB who the media loves as a college QB, but as a pro prospect absolutely no one is talking about him as a potential day 1 pick so I can’t see how he’s overrated. He is rated as a late round prospect by nearly every media outlet, so not sure why he’d be “overrated”. I respect your opinion, but with Josh Freeman I couldn’t call him underrated. I don’t see him as a prospect for this year. He is too inconsistent at this point and needs a solid year in college if he has hopes of being a day one pick. For your RB’s I absolutely agree with Andre Brown being underrated. The kid is a stud and should be going in the 2-3 round range, but will end up going 4-5, but you can’t blame teams because of injury concerns. James Davis I will agree is overrated depending on where he goes. If he is a pick in the top 2 rounds than yeah overrated, but anywhere 3rd round on I think he’s a steal. With no passing game and all the problems that Clemson team has had, little has to do with James Davis. Davis is still a great runner who I think could be a stud if chosen by the right team. The Michael Crabtree as underrated I don’t get either. Personally I love the kid but you can’t call him underrated when most media outlets have him as a top 5 pick in next years draft. As for Brian Toal I wouldn’t call him overrated when he’s probably going to get drafted in the 5-7 range.

BuddyCHRIST
10-27-2008, 08:25 AM
alot of your ratings would maybe be correct as far as strictly college players or guys who don't follow the draft at all. But this is nfldraftcountdown, I think everyone knows Graham Harrell isn't a great prospect.

rockio42
10-27-2008, 10:48 AM
I could not agree more with Macho Harris, dude is so good and so underrated

BBIB
10-27-2008, 10:52 AM
How in the world is Percy Harvin overrated?

He's rated about 20ish in the 1st round. Are you saying he's not worth that?

Race for the Heisman
10-27-2008, 01:44 PM
It is kind of hard to say exactly since different rankings are at different points because of periodic updates, but this is as pro prospects, based on the general board hype as well as a few other scouting sites:

Quarterback
Overrated- Chase Daniel, Missouri
Underrated- Graham Harrell, Texas Tech

Runningback
Overrated- C.J. Spiller, Clemson
Underrated- Arian Foster, Tennessee

Wide Receiver
Overrated- Darius Heyward-Bey, Maryland
Underrated- Brian Robiskie, Ohio State

Tight End
Overrated- Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma State
Underrated-

Overrated- Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma
Underrated- Antoine Caldwell, Alabama

Defensive End
Overrated- George Selvie, South Florida
Underrated- Brandon Graham, Michigan

Defensive Tackle
Overrated- Peria Jerry, Ole Miss
Underrated- Ziggy Hood, Missouri

Outside Linebacker
Overrated-
Underrated- Clint Sintim, Virginia

Middle Linebacker
Overrated-
Underrated- Brandon Spikes, Florida

Safety
Overrated-
Underrated- William Moore, Missouri

Cornerback
Overrated-
Underrated- Asher Allen, Georgia

Some of these guys have either been quiet this year (Moore), there bandwagon has yet to take off (Sintim), or there just hasn't been a lot of talk about them relative to their production (Spikes). For the blanks I guess I'm just not convinced that there is a guy overrated or underrated enough to put his name down. I have other guys I could list as well but the thread creator said one per and I can respect that.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-27-2008, 02:53 PM
I could not agree more with Macho Harris, dude is so good and so underrated

He got abused last game against FSU.

princefielder28
10-27-2008, 02:59 PM
Underrated : Rice WR Jarrett Dillard

jared
10-27-2008, 03:11 PM
WR

Underrated:
Brennan Marion, Tulsa
He's 7th in the nation in rec yds/game and he's averaging nearly 27 YPC. Last year he averaged 31.90 YPC (he had 1244 yards/11 TD on the season). Those kinds of numbers are ludicrous. Nobody seems to be talking about this guy.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-27-2008, 03:28 PM
QB:
overrated: Hunter Cantwell
underrated: Chase Holbrook

RB:
over:Beanie Wells,Arian Foster,CJ Spiller
under:Andre Brown,Javvaris Williams,Cedric Peerman

WR:
over:Brian Robiskie, Aaron Kelly, Louis Murphy
under:Hakeem Nicks, Jordan Norwood

TE:
over:Ryan Purvis, Cornenlius Ingram
under:John Phillips, Anthony Hill(I think he could be turning the corner health wise, early in his career looked like a day 1 pick to me, now can be had late rounds to undrafted)

OT:
over:Phil Loadholt
under:Jamon Meridith

DT:
over:Peria Jerry
under:BJ Raji

DE:
over:Michael Johnson/Matt Shaughnessy
under:Jeremy Navarre

LB:
over:James Lauranitis
under:Aaron Curry, Clint Sintim, Dave Philistin, Jasper Brinkley

CB:
over:Macho Harris, Bruce Johnson
under:Kevin Barnes, Lydell Sargeant, Cinci trio

S:
over: Taylor Mays, Michael Hamlin
under: Kevin Akins(see him as a safety prospect), Kam Chancellor

K:
over: Jose Martinez
under: Sam Swank

Don Vito
10-27-2008, 03:30 PM
If anything, Peria Jerry is underrated. You could say that he has been our MVP this year and should be All-SEC with some definite AA consideration. He did miss two games to injury but he has been a force in every game that he has played.

Greg Hardy, on the other hand, is a guy you could maybe start to see on some overrated lists. He has top 10 talent but I don't think he has a chance at going that high if he comes out this year. I am a huge Hardy fan but he has been hurt and has been at odds with the coaching staff. Injury and charcter concerns are a great way to see your stock plummet. He is a freak of nature and has been dominant when on the field this year, but he wasn't on the field once against Arkansas and saw limited time in the games prior to that.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-27-2008, 03:34 PM
If anything, Peria Jerry is underrated. You could say that he has been our MVP this year and should be All-SEC with some definite AA consideration. He did miss two games to injury but he has been a force in every game that he has played.

Greg Hardy, on the other hand, is a guy you could maybe start to see on some overrated lists. He has top 10 talent but I don't think he has a chance at going that high if he comes out this year. I am a huge Hardy fan but he has been hurt and has been at odds with the coaching staff. Injury and charcter concerns are a great way to see your stock plummet. He is a freak of nature and has been dominant when on the field this year, but he wasn't on the field once against Arkansas and saw limited time in the games prior to that.

I just don't like his measurements as a pro prospect and how he will translate his game to the NFL game. And durability is an issue.

10-27-2008, 03:46 PM
I don't ever remember Josh Freeman being underrated especially on this board.

Don Vito
10-27-2008, 03:46 PM
Fair enough. I am personally a big Jerry fan but he definitely is not the most physically impressive prospect out of recent potential 1st round DTs and he does have some injury concerns. However he has been dominant this year against some pretty good offensive lines, the LSU game will be a great chance to prove some doubters wrong.

Kevin Akins is a very intriguing prospect, ghetto. He is playing corner now but has made significant impacts at safety and linebacker in his career. He is a great athlete at around 6-2 225, but some may not now where to project him. Even though he is playing corner for his senior year I still like him best as a weakside backer in a tampa 2. He is a phenomenal blitzer and is solid in coverage, I think he could fit well there. Safety may be his best bet however if he continues to play well at corner.

princefielder28
10-27-2008, 03:48 PM
I don't ever remember Josh Freeman being underrated especially on this board.

If Josh Freeman is anything, he is overrated. For a guy who has shown some promise but little consistency, and then be talked about as a potential #1 this year is a bit over the top.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-27-2008, 03:57 PM
Fair enough. I am personally a big Jerry fan but he definitely is not the most physically impressive prospect out of recent potential 1st round DTs and he does have some injury concerns. However he has been dominant this year against some pretty good offensive lines, the LSU game will be a great chance to prove some doubters wrong.

Kevin Akins is a very intriguing prospect, ghetto. He is playing corner now but has made significant impacts at safety and linebacker in his career. He is a great athlete at around 6-2 225, but some may not now where to project him. Even though he is playing corner for his senior year I still like him best as a weakside backer in a tampa 2. He is a phenomenal blitzer and is solid in coverage, I think he could fit well there. Safety may be his best bet however if he continues to play well at corner.

I way no way calling Jerry a bad prospect, but I just believe him to be a 1st round DT, as I see no first round DT this season. I think to a first round DT you need the physical gifts, but he'd make a hell of a 2nd or 3rd round DT.

BamaFalcon59
10-27-2008, 04:17 PM
There are some weird inconsistencies in your rankings and your definition of “overrated” and underrated. It appears to me that you are confusing a bit of college hype and true pro prospect. Just like Graham Harrell, he is a great college QB who the media loves as a college QB, but as a pro prospect absolutely no one is talking about him as a potential day 1 pick so I can’t see how he’s overrated. He is rated as a late round prospect by nearly every media outlet, so not sure why he’d be “overrated”.

I realise this, but honestly I don't think any of the quarterbacks are overrated. I don't think Harrell should be considered until round six at best.

I respect your opinion, but with Josh Freeman I couldn’t call him underrated. I don’t see him as a prospect for this year. He is too inconsistent at this point and needs a solid year in college if he has hopes of being a day one pick.

I just think he ends up top five when he comes out next year. Just have that feeling.

For your RB’s I absolutely agree with Andre Brown being underrated. The kid is a stud and should be going in the 2-3 round range, but will end up going 4-5, but you can’t blame teams because of injury concerns.

Definitely a talented runner.

James Davis I will agree is overrated depending on where he goes. If he is a pick in the top 2 rounds than yeah overrated, but anywhere 3rd round on I think he’s a steal. With no passing game and all the problems that Clemson team has had, little has to do with James Davis. Davis is still a great runner who I think could be a stud if chosen by the right team.

It's funny that I call James Davis overrated, because I at one point was one of his biggest fans. But while he looks to have good size and speed, I don't see the toughness or vision that people speak of. He pads his stats against bad teams and, like the rest of the Clemson squad, falters against tough defenses who will hit them in the mouth. People say his vision is great, but I'm just not seeing it. Like you said, I could see him in round three, but not rounds one or two. I think he has some talent, and while I bashed him a bit just now I think some of those things may be due to his supporting cast more than anything. Clemson is just soft as a team.

The Michael Crabtree as underrated I don’t get either. Personally I love the kid but you can’t call him underrated when most media outlets have him as a top 5 pick in next years draft.

Eh, it was a picky thing because I don't think a lot of the receivers are underrated. If I redid it I may choose one of the LSU receivers or Hakeem Nicks.

As for Brian Toal I wouldn’t call him overrated when he’s probably going to get drafted in the 5-7 range.

Again, just being picky.

Thanks for the comments.

BamaFalcon59
10-27-2008, 04:18 PM
alot of your ratings would maybe be correct as far as strictly college players or guys who don't follow the draft at all. But this is nfldraftcountdown, I think everyone knows Graham Harrell isn't a great prospect.

Read above. I don't think any of the QBs are too overrated, but I wouldn't take Harrell to round six at best. Probably not at all.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
10-27-2008, 04:23 PM
QB
Overrated- Tim Tebow, UF
Underrated-

RB
Overrated- James Davis, Clem
Underrated- Donald Brown, UCONN

WR
Overrated- Percy Harvin, UF
Underrated- D.J. Boldin, Wake

TE
Overrated- Chase Coffman, Mizzu
Underrated-

OT
Overrated- Alex Boone, OSU
Underrated- August Parrish, Kent St.

OG
Overrated-
Underrated- Sergio Render, VT

C
Overrated- Johnathan Luigs
Underrated- Max Uger, Oregon

DT
Overrated- Terrence Cody, Bama
Underrated- Geno Atkins, UGA

DE
Overrated- Michael Johnson, GT
Underrated- Brandon Graham, Mich

ILB-
Overrated- James Laurinaitis, OSU.....He is a beast....but still too hyped up
Underrated- Jason Phillips, TCU

OLB-
Overrated- Marcus Freeman, OSU
Underrated- Gerald McRath, So Miss

CB-
Overrated- Macho Harris, VT
Underrated- Patrick Robinson, FSU

Safety
Overrated- Taylor Mays, USC
Underrated- Chip Vaughn, Wake

BamaFalcon59
10-27-2008, 04:26 PM
OG
Overrated-
Underrated- Sergio Render, VT

Render is a beast when he tries.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
10-27-2008, 04:31 PM
He has 1st round potential...Beamer needs to dig in his a**....No h()m()

BrabbitMcRabbit
10-27-2008, 05:12 PM
RB
Overrated: Javon Ringer
Underrated: Stafon Johnson

WR
Overrated: Arrelious Benn
Underrated: Jarett Dillard

DreadedDatSkinsFan
10-27-2008, 05:54 PM
RB

WR
lol @ Benn being overrated!!!!

jbooshey
10-27-2008, 06:25 PM
I'll just do a Big 10 list because it is what I pay most attention to...

OL: Overrated- Alex Boone, 6'8" 312lbs OSU
Underrated- Kraig Urbik, 6'6" 332lbs UW

DE: Overrated-Justin Kershaw, 6'5" 273lbs MSU
Underrated- Greg Middleton, 6'3" 275lbs IU

DT: Overrated- Ryan Baker, 6'5" 280lbs Purdue
Underrated- Corbin Bryant, 6'4" 275lbs NU

OLB: Overrated- Obinna Ezeh, 6'2" 247lbs Michigan
Underrated- Martez Wilson, 6'4" 246lbs UI

ILB: Overrated- Josh Hull, 6'3" 239lbs PSU
Underrated- Lee Campbell 6'3" 256lbs Minny

CB: Overrated- Bradley Fletcher, 6'2" 200lbs Iowa
Underrated-Aaron Henry, 6'0" 191lbs UW

S: Overrated-Anderson Russell, 6'0" 205lbs OSU
Underrated- Otis Wiley, 6'2" 210lbs MSU

FB: Overrated- Mikel LeShoure, 6'0" 240lbs UI
Underrated-Brett Morse, 6'3" 235lbs Iowa

TE: Overrated- Travis Beckum, 6'4" 231lbs UW
Underrated- Jake Ballard, 6'6" 256lbs OSU

WR: Overrated- Mark Dell, 6'2" 188lbs MSU
Underrated- Terrance Turner, 6'3" 200lbs IU

RB: Overrated- Kory Sheets, 6'0" 206lbs PU
Underrated-Tyrell Sutton, 5'9" 205lbs NU

QB: Overrated- Steven Threet, 6'6" 235lbs Michy
Underrated-Juice Williams, 6'2" 233lbs ILL.

SeanTaylorRIP
10-27-2008, 08:17 PM
Threet? Right now he has zero draft prospects.

P-L
10-27-2008, 08:34 PM
Lol, is that a joke? Steven Threet has a negative rating.

Con
10-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Crabtree is not underrated. Most people are saying he's the best WR in college football. Can't get rated any higher eh?

As an Illini fan, I have to say CB Vontae Davis is overrated. He gets beat on alot of plays and gambles too mcuh. He tries to make the specatular play too often. He still hits like a truck though.

Con
10-29-2008, 01:25 PM
I'll just do a Big 10 list because it is what I pay most attention to...

Underrated- Martez Wilson, 6'4" 246lbs UI

Have you seen Martez play? he's out of position every single play. He has gotten only 1 sack on the season i believe. He's lazy. Theres no way he's underrated.

Sniper
10-29-2008, 01:37 PM

First of all, he's a MLB. Second of all, who rates Ezeh that makes him overrated?

QB: Overrated- Steven Threet, 6'6" 235lbs Michy

Who the **** has been saying Threet is good?

Sniper
10-29-2008, 01:38 PM

How? Just how?

princefielder28
10-29-2008, 01:41 PM
How? Just how?

Don't worry, his sarcasm must be hard to pick up b/c this can't be true

CroomDawgs
10-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Quarterback
Overrated- Graham Harrell Texas Tech.
Underrated- Uhhhhh, can't think of one haha

Runningback
Overrated- Javon Ringer Michigan State
Underrated- Anthony Dixon MSU :D

Wide Receiver
Overrated- Michael Crabtree Texas tech
Underrated- Kenny Britt Rutgers

Tight End
Overrated- Travis Beckum Wisconsin
Underrated- Chase Coffman Missouri

Offensive Line
Overrated- Eugene Monroe Virginia
Underrated- Jason Smith Baylor

Defensive End
Overrated- Maurice Evans Penn State
Underrated- Brandon Graham Michigan

Defensive Tackle
Overrated- Terrance Cody Alabama
Underrated- Peria Jerry Mississippi

Outside Linebacker
Overrated-
Underrated- Gerald McRath USM

Middle Linebacker
Overrated- Rey Maualuga USC
Underrated- Jasper Brinkley South Carolina

Safety
Overrated- Taylor Mays USC
Underrated- Derek Pegues MSU

Cornerback
Overrated- Macho Harris VT
Underrated- Trevor Lindley Kentucky

princefielder28
10-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Croom, I like the choices for CB and S. Lindley is gonna end up being a 1st rounder, or should be, when he comes out and Pegues doesn't get the recognition but he's got game.

keylime_5
10-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Quarterback
Overrated- Graham Harrell Texas Tech.
Underrated- Uhhhhh, can't think of one haha

Runningback
Overrated- Javon Ringer Michigan State
Underrated- Anthony Dixon MSU :D

Wide Receiver
Overrated- Michael Crabtree Texas tech
Underrated- Kenny Britt Rutgers

Tight End
Overrated- Travis Beckum Wisconsin
Underrated- Chase Coffman Missouri

Offensive Line
Overrated- Eugene Monroe Virginia
Underrated- Jason Smith Baylor

Defensive End
Overrated- Maurice Evans Penn State

Defensive Tackle
Overrated- Terrance Cody Alabama
Underrated- Peria Jerry Mississippi

Outside Linebacker
Overrated-
Underrated- Gerald McRath USM

Middle Linebacker
Overrated- Rey Maualuga USC
Underrated- Jasper Brinkley South Carolina

Safety
Overrated- Taylor Mays USC
Underrated- Derek Pegues MSU

Cornerback
Overrated- Macho Harris VT
Underrated- Trevor Lindley Kentucky

Wow, I agree with ALL of those.

CroomDawgs
10-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Croom, I like the choices for CB and S. Lindley is gonna end up being a 1st rounder, or should be, when he comes out and Pegues doesn't get the recognition but he's got game.

Damm Right man, Pegues is the man, too bad our Offense besides Dixon and Ducre (sometimes) makes me cry at night and can't help the D out.

Sniper
10-29-2008, 04:40 PM

Fabulous choice.

thenewfeature06
10-29-2008, 05:52 PM
not sure how u can say crabtree AND harrel are overrated when they have simply destroyed the passing competeion this year averaging over 400 yds with impressive wins over kansas, kansas st, and nebraska

doingthisinsteadofwork
10-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Overated: Joe McKnight

Sniper
10-29-2008, 07:22 PM
Overated: Joe McKnight

7.2 yards per carry, 11.2 yards per reception.

Um, not so overrated.

CroomDawgs
10-29-2008, 08:17 PM
Fabulous choice.

i love graham I think he's the 3rd best End after Orakpo and Hardy

CroomDawgs
10-29-2008, 08:24 PM
not sure how u can say crabtree AND harrel are overrated when they have simply destroyed the passing competeion this year averaging over 400 yds with impressive wins over kansas, kansas st, and nebraska

Well its kinda clear your not savvy with draft stock and college performances.

Texas Tech, year in and year out, have QBs who throw for 300-400 a game easily. And theres a thread from an article that interviewed a scout, who says that Qbs like him to steer clear of in the draft.

As for Crabtree, he's better than all the other tech WRs, but that doesn't make him a super prospect. He's prolly a 4.5, maybe a low 4.6 guy who plays in a pass heavy offense, there's too many question Marks. Is he a legit prospect? Yes I think he is, but is he a OMG top 5 for sure! like McShay and Kiper are saying? No way. I'd say he's late first maybe early 2nd at this point

doingthisinsteadofwork
10-30-2008, 12:16 AM
7.2 yards per carry, 11.2 yards per reception.

Um, not so overrated.Basically all I've seen out of the guy is: he plays for a good team,with good blocking and a good passing game.Hes quick and has some nice hands.Thats it.And yet some people consider this guy to be a future top five pick?I wouldn't touch him untill day two.It's all media hype.
I could care less about stats.When he performs well all of the other RBs on USC perform well.But I've seen plenty of games where he plays like **** and the other RBs do pretty good.

Zyro_1014
10-30-2008, 12:26 AM
Basically all I've seen out of the guy is: he plays for a good team,with good blocking and a good passing game.Hes quick and has some nice hands.Thats it.And yet some people consider this guy to be a future top five pick?I wouldn't touch him untill day two.It's all media hype.
I could care less about stats.When he performs well all of the other RBs on USC perform well.But I've seen plenty of games where he plays like **** and the other RBs do pretty good.

dude the guy is gonna be a playmaker in the NFL. He gets the Reggie hype because he has the ability to take the sweeps and outside runs and be a very affective reciever out of the slot.

Do i think hes as good as Reggie was his sophmore year? no not yet...but ya never know

doingthisinsteadofwork
10-30-2008, 01:23 AM
Quickness and good hands thats it. I've never seen the home run ability out of him that I saw in guys like AD,DMC,and Bush during college.He doesn't have it.
A playmaker in the NFL?He's not even a playmaker now.What would ever make you think he'd be one in the NFL? The fact that he got ranked highly as a prospect coming out of HS?

Zyro_1014
10-30-2008, 01:00 PM
Quickness and good hands thats it. I've never seen the home run ability out of him that I saw in guys like AD,DMC,and Bush during college.He doesn't have it.
A playmaker in the NFL?He's not even a playmaker now.What would ever make you think he'd be one in the NFL? The fact that he got ranked highly as a prospect coming out of HS?

did you watch the Rose Bowl game last year against Illinois? he absolutely murdered them! not a big play threat? are you kidding me

doingthisinsteadofwork
10-30-2008, 06:19 PM
He didn't murder them.In fact he showed that he doesn't have breakaway speed.He got run down from behind.If that was DMC or AD they would have scored on that play.Vontae Davis made him look slow.USC's blocking is what does the job.He doesn't have any playmaking ability.His quickness gets him good yardage and then he runs out of bounce or gets taken down from behind.He isn't a physical runner,he isn't elusive,and he doesn't have home run ability.Hes not a playmaker.How many big plays has he had this season?Not alot.How many TDs this season?1.

Menardo75
10-30-2008, 07:42 PM
Vontae Davis made him look slow.

He tends to do that to a lot of people.

CroomDawgs
10-30-2008, 11:16 PM
Vontae Davis Prolly runs in the mid 4.3's...he's quite fast.

doingthisinsteadofwork
10-30-2008, 11:53 PM
Don't get me wrong Vontae is very fast but still if that had been DMC or Reggie he would'nt have been able to catch them from behind like he did to McKnight.

Zyro_1014
10-31-2008, 12:27 AM
Don't get me wrong Vontae is very fast but still if that had been DMC or Reggie he would'nt have been able to catch them from behind like he did to McKnight.

dude you dont know what you are talking about if you say that Joe isnt a big play threat. Also this video has the play of Vontae running him down....its easy for a corner who runs a 4.3 to catch up to a guy juking out the entire defense.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d97zbWGLYUg

giantsfan
10-31-2008, 01:59 AM
dude you dont know what you are talking about if you say that Joe isnt a big play threat. Also this video has the play of Vontae running him down....its easy for a corner who runs a 4.3 to catch up to a guy juking out the entire defense.

You realize that at the McKnight is running in a straight line at full speed when Vontae shows up catches him like nothing and brings him down.

He's not that fast, he's quick, but he's not physical either. I'm not a huge fan but I didn't like Shaun Alexander either. So he can be successful at the next level he'll just need an all pro oline.

princefielder28
10-31-2008, 03:28 PM
QB
Overrated : Josh Freeman (KSU), Rhett Bomar (SHSU)
Underrated : Mike Reilly (CWU)
RB
Overrated : Chris Wells (OSU)
Underrated : Devin Moore (WYO), Kory Sheets (PUR)
WR
Overrated : Percy Harvin (UF), Louis Murphy (UF)
Underrated : Jarett Dillard (RICE), Johnny Knox (ACU)
TE
Overrated :
Underrated : Shawn Nelson (USM)
OT
Overrated : Alex Boone (OSU)
Underrated : Dallas Reynolds (BYU)
DE
Overrated : Michael Johnson (GT)
Underrated : Larry English (NIU)
DT
Overrated : Terrance Taylor (MICH)
Underrated : Myron Pryor (UK)
OLB
Overrated : Brian Cushing (USC)
Underrated : Jason Williams (Western ILL)
ILB
Overrated : Darry Beckwith (LSU)
Underrated : Daniel Holtzclaw (Eastern MICH)
CB
Overrated : Vontae Davis (ILL), Alphonso Smith (WAKE)
Underrated : Trevard Lindley (UK), Domonique Johnson (JSU)
S
Overrated : Courtney Greene (RU)
Underrated : Derek Pegues (MSU)

BamaFalcon59
10-31-2008, 04:23 PM

It looked flat our emberrassing when he got hawked like that. No one was near him, and then Vonte Davis comes out of nowhere and gets him.

He's not that fast, I've been saying it for a long time. He and Bush share quickness and ball skills, but Bush had next man speed, the ability to go as fast as he needed to get to the endzone. McKnight lacks that.

ElectricEye
10-31-2008, 11:04 PM
Vontae ran him down. Vontae might run a high 4.2. He was still about forty yards away...and McKnight was running full speed. That was embarrassing. It would really surprise me if McKnight turned into anything at the NFL level. I still have to watch more of him...and he has a lot of time...but that's the sense I'm getting right now. He's not a complete back, and I doubt he's the type that could ever be. He doesn't look to have elite speed either. The jury is still out major league though, but in the early goings; I really don't like him as a prospect.

BBIB
10-31-2008, 11:20 PM
QB
Overrated- Tim Tebow, UF
Underrated-

Ok this is the draft forum, so how in the world could Tebow be overrated as a NFL prospect when everyone is calling him a fullback, Eric Crouch, etc at the next level?

Race for the Heisman
11-01-2008, 01:28 PM
Ok this is the draft forum, so how in the world could Tebow be overrated as a NFL prospect when everyone is calling him a fullback, Eric Crouch, etc at the next level?

Which is exactly why I said he was underrated. No one is saying he is going to 'redefine the position' like they did about Vince Young, but the truth is probably somewhere between all the hate and all the hype.

captainjack27
11-01-2008, 04:35 PM
RB

WR

Wanna explain why you believe Benn is overrated?

captainjack27
11-01-2008, 04:38 PM

That was a straight sprint to the endzone there and Davis caught him. McKnight is a very good player...but I agree in sayin he lacks the home run threat.

BamaFalcon59
11-01-2008, 08:28 PM
This was in NCAA '09 for the PS3, but he was great for me online against Penn State. Big part of a 52-13 win. May have been 52-14.

16 carries/ 111 yards/ 1 touchdown
5 receptions/ 130 yards/ 3 touchdowns
2 punt returns/ 38 yards
2 kickoff returns/ 56 yards

Beast!

Mark Sanchez also threw 5 touchdowns on only 19 attempts. Beast!

Kevin Ellison had two interceptions, one returned 103 yards for a touchdown on the final play of the game. Beast!

Cigaro
11-01-2008, 09:38 PM
Quarterback:
Overrated- Josh Freeman, Kansas State
Underrated- Colt McCoy, Texas

Running Back:
Underrated- James Davis, Clemson

Wide Receiver:
Overrated- Louis Murphy, Florida
Underrated- Hakeem Nicks, North Carolina

Tight End:
Underrated- Jared Cook, South Carolina

Offensive Line:
Overrated- Michael Oher, Mississippi
Underrated- Jason Smith, Baylor

Defensive End:
Underrated- Tyson Jackson, Louisiana State

Defensive Tackle:
Overrated- Peria Jerry, Mississippi
Underrated- Geno Atkins, Georgia

Outside Linebacker:
Overrated- Marcus Freeman, Ohio State

Middle Linebacker:
Overrated- James Laurinaitis, Ohio State

Safety:
Overrated- Taylor Mays, Southern California
Underrated- Emanuel Cook, South Carolina

Cornerback:
Overrated- Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State
Underrated- Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest

P-L
11-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Quarterback:
Overrated- Josh Freeman, Kansas State
Underrated- Colt McCoy, Texas

Running Back:
Underrated- James Davis, Clemson

Wide Receiver:
Overrated- Louis Murphy, Florida
Underrated- Hakeem Nicks, North Carolina

Tight End:
Underrated- Jared Cook, South Carolina

Offensive Line:
Overrated- Michael Oher, Mississippi
Underrated- Jason Smith, Baylor

Defensive End:
Underrated- Tyson Jackson, Louisiana State

Defensive Tackle:
Overrated- Peria Jerry, Mississippi
Underrated- Geno Atkins, Georgia

Outside Linebacker:
Overrated- Marcus Freeman, Ohio State

Middle Linebacker:
Overrated- James Laurinaitis, Ohio State

Safety:
Overrated- Taylor Mays, Southern California
Underrated- Emanuel Cook, South Carolina

Cornerback:
Overrated- Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio State
Underrated- Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest
I think I agree with almost every one of those. The only one I disagree with is Malcolm Jenkins being overrated.

draftguru151
11-01-2008, 09:52 PM
I think Clint Sintim is probably the most overlooked/underrated guy in the draft right now, I think I like him more than Orakpo. He is such a monster pass rusher and has very good LB skills to boot.

Menardo75
11-02-2008, 01:23 AM
For underrated im going to throw Mike T. Williams out there from Boise State. He is the WAC leader in sacks. 6'3" 244 could be a very good situational pass rusher in the pros. Maybe he could play some 3-4 OLB.

Matthew Jones
11-02-2008, 01:55 AM
Among players projected to be picked fairly early (and appear in Scott's rankings), and where I value them:

Quarterback:

Overrated: Matthew Stafford, Georgia (1)
Underrated: Rhett Bomar, Sam Houston St. (2-3)

Running Back:

Overrated: James Davis, Clemson (2-3)
Underrated: Knowshon Moreno, Georgia (1)

Wide Receiver:

Overrated: Louis Murphy, Florida (3)
Underrated: Derrick Williams, Penn St. (1-2)

Tight End:

Overrated: Brandon Pettigrew, Oklahoma St. (3)
Underrated: Chase Coffman, Missouri (1-2)

Offensive Tackle:

Overrated: Phil Loadholt, Oklahoma (2)
Underrated: Jason Smith, Baylor (1)

Offensive Guard/Center:

Overrated: Jonathan Luigs, Arkansas (4)
Underrated: Herman Johnson, Louisiana St. (3)

Defensive End:

Overrated: Michael Johnson, Georgia Tech (1-2)
Underrated: Cody Brown, Connecticut (3)

Defensive Tackle:

Overrated: B.J. Raji, Boston College (3)
Underrated: Peria Jerry, Mississippi (1)

Outside Linebacker:

Overrated: Brian Cushing, Southern Cal (2)
Underrated: Clint Sintim, Virginia (1-2)

Inside Linebacker:

Overrated: Rey Maualuga, Southern Cal (1)
Underrated: Darry Beckwith, Louisiana St. (1-2)

Cornerback:

Overrated: Alphonso Smith, Wake Forest (2)
Underrated: Mike Mickens, Cincinnati (1-2)

Safety:

Overrated: Patrick Chung, Oregon (3-4)
Underrated: Taylor Mays, Southern Cal (1)

Sniper
11-02-2008, 08:59 AM
Underrated: Derrick Williams, Penn St. (1-2)

Oh God, do tell me how Williams is underrated. He is the most overrated player on these boards for his position. Are you really going to take a receiver in the first round who has one career 100 yard game? How about a receiver who has six career receiving touchdowns? Or maybe it's the 10.7 career ypc that does it for you.

Either way, Derrick Williams is atrocious as a WR and saying he should be in the top 60 players is an absolute farce.

ElectricEye
11-02-2008, 09:09 AM
I don't get the Derrick Williams thing at all either. What on earth has he shown that says he can be a 1st/2nd round caliber receiver at the next level? People give Harvin crap for not running good routes and not being a natural receiver...I don't think Williams knows what a route is. He's the third best receiver on his team right now. Return abilities or not, he's not worth a first or second round pick. I don't think I would want to take him in the third either.

keylime_5
11-02-2008, 09:14 AM
route running is overated in college. crabtree doesn't run routes great either.

derrick williams is like a 5th rounder if I'm drafting though. harvin a top 15 pick.

RaiderNation
11-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Stafford is the most overrated player right now IMO

Race for the Heisman
11-02-2008, 01:01 PM
I don't buy Harvin as a top 15 pick. He is the same Reggie Bush type weapon. He's not a true running back and can't handle that kind of abuse. He's has outstanding vision and elusiveness, but at the same time, you have be really creative to make use of all of his best attributes. I don't think he can have the same special teams effect that Reggie has. I mean, I like him for what he is good at, but I don't see his skillset being worth a top X pick in the first round. To me he is late first, early second, where the financial ramifications of failure aren't so great.

Sniper
11-02-2008, 01:32 PM
route running is overated in college. crabtree doesn't run routes great either.

derrick williams is like a 5th rounder if I'm drafting though. harvin a top 15 pick.

Maybe, but Crabtree's route running is so much better and put up better numbers as a junior than Williams has done in his whole career.

Sniper
11-02-2008, 02:39 PM

Michael Johnson is grossly insulted.

BBIB
11-02-2008, 04:03 PM
I don't buy Harvin as a top 15 pick. He is the same Reggie Bush type weapon. He's not a true running back and can't handle that kind of abuse. He's has outstanding vision and elusiveness, but at the same time, you have be really creative to make use of all of his best attributes. I don't think he can have the same special teams effect that Reggie has. I mean, I like him for what he is good at, but I don't see his skillset being worth a top X pick in the first round. To me he is late first, early second, where the financial ramifications of failure aren't so great.

Reggie Bush cannot catch balls 30-50 yards down the field like Harvin.

Yeah he's probably the most overrated player in all of college football as far as draft stock right now is concerned.

Immense potential because of Arm Strength? Absolutely.

But there are a whole bunch of guys who can sling the rock but because of their lack of consistency, mechanics, etc, it doesn't exactly translate to success.

Cigaro
11-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Reggie Bush cannot catch balls 30-50 yards down the field like Harvin.

Yeah he's probably the most overrated player in all of college football as far as draft stock right now is concerned.

Immense potential because of Arm Strength? Absolutely.

But there are a whole bunch of guys who can sling the rock but because of their lack of consistency, mechanics, etc, it doesn't exactly translate to success.

Stafford's got that too. Stafford has loads of potential and because he isn't god awful, he'll still get picked plenty high. He needs a good bit of coaching however.

CherryGarcia510
11-02-2008, 06:52 PM
arm strength is only one factor of the occasion. If it was the end all Derek Anderson and Culpepper would be lighting the league on fire

illmatic74
11-02-2008, 07:04 PM
arm strength is only one factor of the occasion. If it was the end all Derek Anderson and Culpepper would be lighting the league on fire Culpepper was lighting the league on fire once then he lost his mobility. Why is Culpepper so ridiculed?

BamaFalcon59
11-02-2008, 07:08 PM
I agree. At one point Culpepper had one of the top three to five passer ratings of all time, and a very high completion percentage. At one point he looked to be a future hall of famer.

holt_bruce81
11-02-2008, 07:23 PM
arm strength is only one factor of the occasion. If it was the end all Derek Anderson and Culpepper would be lighting the league on fire

And Kyle Boller

Bengals78
11-03-2008, 07:35 AM
I agree. At one point Culpepper had one of the top three to five passer ratings of all time, and a very high completion percentage. At one point he looked to be a future hall of famer.

He looked like a sure fire HOF'er until his first knee injury. Then he went to Miami and Oakland. He hasnt been the same that's for sure.

BBIB
11-03-2008, 11:03 AM

That

A)Shows how overrated a stat passer rating is

B)Shows how valuable Randy Moss was.

Culepper didn't have to read a defense when he was just chucking the ball up to Randy Moss. And when Moss wasn't completely blanketed Culpepper could find another receiver that was usually wide open.

draftcutlermiami730
11-03-2008, 11:09 AM
QB:
overrated: Hunter Cantwell
underrated: Chase Holbrook

RB:
over:Beanie Wells,Arian Foster,CJ Spiller
under:Andre Brown,Javvaris Williams,Cedric Peerman

WR:
over:Brian Robiskie, Aaron Kelly, Louis Murphy
under:Hakeem Nicks, Jordan Norwood

TE:
over:Ryan Purvis, Cornenlius Ingram
under:John Phillips, Anthony Hill(I think he could be turning the corner health wise, early in his career looked like a day 1 pick to me, now can be had late rounds to undrafted)

OT:
over:Phil Loadholt
under:Jamon Meridith

DT:
over:Peria Jerry
under:BJ Raji

DE:
over:Michael Johnson/Matt Shaughnessy
under:Jeremy Navarre

LB:
over:James Lauranitis
under:Aaron Curry, Clint Sintim, Dave Philistin, Jasper Brinkley

CB:
over:Macho Harris, Bruce Johnson
under:Kevin Barnes, Lydell Sargeant, Cinci trio

S:
over: Taylor Mays, Michael Hamlin
under: Kevin Akins(see him as a safety prospect), Kam Chancellor

K:
over: Jose Martinez
under: Sam Swank

Thank you I don't know why some people have Arian Foster as an underrated prospect this year. When I ever I see him he doesn't look like he wants to play football.