PDA

View Full Version : Clay Mathews

Burns336
10-27-2008, 02:09 AM
I'm a huge USC fan so I may be biased but Clay Mathews sreams "football player" to me.

The type Bill Parcells or Bill Bellichek would love to have.

My question is does anyone think he could play ILB in a 3-4?

I know coming from playing DE as a senior he would be projected as an OLB by default, but at 6'3'' 240 he's got a body comparable with a lot of 3-4 ILB's

Also, where in the draft do you see him going? I was thinking 5th a few weeks ago.. I'm almost thinking 4th round now.

I'd love to hear some feedback.

djp
10-27-2008, 02:57 AM
I'm almost convinced the guy is on roids. He plays with serious rage on the field. He has some really stupid personal fouls this year, too.

Cigaro
10-27-2008, 06:26 AM
I think he's well worth a late round pick for a 3-4 team. At the very least he's proven to be a good special teams player this year.

Babylon
10-27-2008, 11:09 AM
What really helps him is that he can get to the QB which is going to make him attractive for the 3-4 defenses of the world. As for the round he goes in if he can run well leading up to the draft he may get an early day 2 call.

Burns336
10-27-2008, 12:09 PM
Do you guys think he can play inside though?

It's hard to project right now because all you get to see him do is rush the passer. It's hard for me to imagine how he'd work in the middle.

Babylon
10-27-2008, 12:13 PM
Do you guys think he can play inside though?

It's hard to project right now because all you get to see him do is rush the passer. It's hard for me to imagine how he'd work in the middle.

I think Cushing could play inside because he gets through the traffic pretty well and is very good in coverage. Matthews i think is better outside maybe even in a 4-3 as well as a 3-4 but as a SC fan you probably know better than i do.

Burns336
10-27-2008, 12:31 PM
I think Cushing could play inside because he gets through the traffic pretty well and is very good in coverage. Matthews i think is better outside maybe even in a 4-3 as well as a 3-4 but as a SC fan you probably know better than i do.

Well it's hard to tell.

I mean, he couldn't crack the rotation at LB because of Cushing and Mauluga so they decided to put him on the line at DE just to get him in the game.

I'd say he's been the most consistent pass rusher at this point, he plays with a nasty streak, it's just really hard to project him at one of the LB positions when you only see him in a down stance.

Like I said earlier, the default answer would be DE converts to OLB, but I'm thinking possibly ILB. With his ability to blitz he could be pretty useful in the middle if a team is already set on the outside, the only question is whether or not he can do all of the other things and ILB needs to do.

As far as Cushing goes, I know a lot of people have projected him as OLB, not ILB. I'm pretty sure Scott has him listed as an OLB and I know people like to use the Vrable comparison.

Matthew Jones
10-27-2008, 12:40 PM
He reminds me of Bobby Carpenter in a way. I'd put him as a fourth/fifth round value at this point.

Babylon
10-27-2008, 01:24 PM
He reminds me of Bobby Carpenter in a way. I'd put him as a fourth/fifth round value at this point.

Carpenter cant rush the QB so i think he's limited to inside. Matthews is more of an outside guy, i'm not sure what kind of 40 time he runs (USC would probably say 4.4) but that time will probably tell a lot. I will say on a sidenote it probably doesnt hurt to have a HOF dad and uncle that played.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
10-27-2008, 03:55 PM
Matthews is a beast...He has that motor that I love...I can see him playin ILB in a 3-4 or on the weakside in a 4-3...Moreso on the weakside...I see someone said something about his 40 time...I think he is a legit 4.4 or 4-5 guy...I dont trust USC's 40 numbers at all though..

giantsfan
10-27-2008, 04:17 PM
Well it's hard to tell.

I mean, he couldn't crack the rotation at LB because of Cushing and Mauluga so they decided to put him on the line at DE just to get him in the game.

I'd say he's been the most consistent pass rusher at this point, he plays with a nasty streak, it's just really hard to project him at one of the LB positions when you only see him in a down stance.

Like I said earlier, the default answer would be DE converts to OLB, but I'm thinking possibly ILB. With his ability to blitz he could be pretty useful in the middle if a team is already set on the outside, the only question is whether or not he can do all of the other things and ILB needs to do.

As far as Cushing goes, I know a lot of people have projected him as OLB, not ILB. I'm pretty sure Scott has him listed as an OLB and I know people like to use the Vrable comparison.

Haven't really focused on him much but the question is how well does he shed blockers against the run and as a pass rusher does he really on his quickness to beat tackles to the edge or does he have the quickness to be an interior pass rusher?

Carpenter cant rush the QB so i think he's limited to inside. Matthews is more of an outside guy, i'm not sure what kind of 40 time he runs (USC would probably say 4.4) but that time will probably tell a lot. I will say on a sidenote it probably doesnt hurt to have a HOF dad and uncle that played.

Carpenter was an exceptional passrusher at OSU and played with his hand down quite a bit. In the NFL though he couldn't turn the corner against NFL caliber tackles and so moved inside.

Texas Homer
10-27-2008, 11:35 PM
Matthews is a football player. He's a kid that is just hard to take off the field. He will find a team somewhere and catch on.

Menardo75
10-27-2008, 11:41 PM
He seems more like a situational 4-3 pass rusher, and special teams ace. Probably anywhere from 4th-6th.

tjsunstein
10-27-2008, 11:57 PM
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26397

Scott wrote and article on him...

Burns336
10-28-2008, 03:29 AM
Damn I didn't even see that.

I was hoping the Cowboys would get him later on in the 4th/5th as a utility guy who could fill in at either OLB or ILB and eventually move inside full time. I feel like one of our biggest weakness on the inside is the ability to shed blocks and get to the ball carrier or QB. He looks like he's got potential to solve that.

Just a pipe dream though... I can't remember the last time we took someone from USC. I hope he gets put in a good situation though. He plays hard, gives 110%. Would love to have him on my team.

giantsfan
10-28-2008, 03:39 AM
If we go DE early I'd like to see the Gmen grab him on day two if the value's right. He'd be a good backup to Kiwi and with work could be yet another weapon to attack the QB with.

Burns336
10-28-2008, 07:39 PM
I don't really see him at DE at the next level... I just don't know if he has the size.

bored of education
10-28-2008, 07:40 PM
Beasttttttttttt.

renegade
10-28-2008, 07:48 PM
I really like Matthews and hopped on the bandwagon after a good performance at Virginia. He could be a protoype 3-4 OLB (Like you stated) but I think he is the prototypical SLB for the Zone Blitz System that both the Eagles and Giants run. In the system the SLB is essentially just a 3-4 OLB but they also have to have the abilities of a normal 4-3 LB which has become somewhat of an issue for the Eagles. I doubt that Chris Gocong could cover someone in a wheel chair and IMO he really needs to move to DE which is his natural position. I would love to have Matthews replace him, a LB with the skills necessary to be both a 4-3 SLB and a 3-4 OLB makes him a perfect fit for the Zone Blitzing System.

Danny boy
10-28-2008, 10:04 PM
I love his tenacity. I wouldn't mind if my Texans took a flyer on him, but I'm not sure how he would fit in with that Defense.

ElectricEye
10-28-2008, 10:26 PM
I love his tenacity. I wouldn't mind if my Texans took a flyer on him, but I'm not sure how he would fit in with that Defense.

He would pretty much fit in most defenses. The strength of he and Cushing is versatility.

I really like this kid. Wouldn't mind my Patriots drafting him late, but I think his stock is only going to rise.

Cigaro
10-29-2008, 04:40 PM
As I posted earlier, I love his upside, but not in the sense of him being a full time defensive end as some are suggesting now. I think he should be a linebacker for 3-4 and 4-3, and only put his hand down on passing downs, ala Cushing.

giantsfan
10-29-2008, 05:37 PM
I don't really see him at DE at the next level... I just don't know if he has the size.

I'm almost certain Kiwi will be playing SLB next season, unless Curry slides to our pick, so Matthews as a backup SLB to Kiwi would be a great spot for him as he could make an impact as a pass rusher and special teamer early in his career and we could see were things went from there.

STARHEATHER
10-29-2008, 07:57 PM
maybe 5th rd. others have much much more. i dont see him blowing up the nfl ever.

Smokey Joe
10-29-2008, 09:02 PM
Any team would love to get this guy somewhere in the 4-6 round range. He is a football player with a great motor and work ethic, and he is a stud on special teams. Plus, he can fit in at a number of spots on several different types of D's.

Pb&j
10-29-2008, 11:00 PM
All I know is that Cleveland will go absolutely nuts if the Browns manage to get him, and he trots out on the field wearing #57. That would be awesome.

ElectricEye
10-30-2008, 12:30 AM
Any team would love to get this guy somewhere in the 4-6 round range. He is a football player with a great motor and work ethic, and he is a stud on special teams. Plus, he can fit in at a number of spots on several different types of D's.

That's why he isn't going to last that long. This is the type of kid that has nowhere to go but up. He's playing extremely well and has all that stuff going for him. A 3-4 team is going to fall in love with this kid before the third round is over by the end of the process.