PDA

View Full Version : Colt McCoy not coming out

jsa230
10-27-2008, 12:44 PM
When Dan Patrick asked Colt Brennan if he was staying for his senior year, he said "Of course ...." Is he making the same mistake as Matt Leinart did or his he making the right decision. I think i would probably stay unless UT wins it all this year and he wins the heisman. What is left to accomplish in college football? Leinart had already won a championship and a heisman trophy at this point if i am not mistaken, to me that made his decision wrong and it was even easier to say that watching him slide down the board

fenikz
10-27-2008, 12:46 PM
Colt McCoy*

LonghornsLegend
10-27-2008, 12:49 PM
LOL this is late and the wrong player.

LonghornsLegend
10-27-2008, 12:52 PM
When Dan Patrick asked Colt Brennan if he was staying for his senior year, he said "Of course ...." Is he making the same mistake as Matt Leinart did or his he making the right decision. I think i would probably stay unless UT wins it all this year and he wins the heisman. What is left to accomplish in college football? Leinart had already won a championship and a heisman trophy at this point if i am not mistaken, to me that made his decision wrong and it was even easier to say that watching him slide down the board

Just to answer your question, when Leinart decided he wanted to return he was arguably the #1 rated QB at the time, such is not the case for McCoy right now...Just because you win the heisman doesn't mean you will be the first overall pick, unlike Leinart he actually has a chance to increase his stock by returning...Leinart could do nothing but go down from the #1 overall pick.

SuperKevin
10-27-2008, 01:27 PM
Wow. Epic fail

Thunder&Lightning
10-27-2008, 02:23 PM
hahahahaha

DoWnThEfiElD
10-27-2008, 02:37 PM
Maybe Colt Brennen is wishing he could come out of the NFL and play college again.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
10-27-2008, 04:36 PM
Colt gets a lot of TV time for a 3rd stringer....Everytime we play they show his him on the sidelines at least 10 times...Random...but true

MetSox17
10-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Wow. Epic fail

LMAO, same thing i thought. Took the words right outta my mouth. Er, fingers.

Forenci
10-27-2008, 05:41 PM
I'm sure D-Unit will be upset to hear this.

No but really, I wouldn't expect McCoy to come out anyways. He is at best a mid-round pick, and I think everyone realizes he plays in a flukey system that results in a lot of high percentage short passes that boosts his stats and completion percentage.

I'm not saying he's a bad QB, but it's a run and gun offense that he can execute exceptionally well. Something that won't happen in the NFL.

WMD
10-27-2008, 05:53 PM
This is October. Everybody who's asked is going to say they're coming back for the next season.

jsa230
10-27-2008, 05:54 PM
harsh...you jerkoffs knew what i meant

regoob2
10-27-2008, 06:01 PM
harsh...you jerkoffs knew what i meant
Yes, but you still said it and should be made fun of accordingly.

P-L
10-27-2008, 06:05 PM
I believe McCoy when he says that he is staying. He isn't nearly as good of a pro prospect as he is college player. I expect a lot of juniors to come out and take advantage of this weak quarterback class, and I think McCoy would be pushed down draft boards.

Danny boy
10-28-2008, 10:07 PM
Colt seems like a great guy. I see him as a 4 year type of college player. I think he needs to sit a few years once he gets to the NFL to get acclimated to the game, but he is a "Heady" QB that makes smart decisions. Colt is a great QB.

BBIB
10-29-2008, 04:46 PM
I believe McCoy when he says that he is staying. He isn't nearly as good of a pro prospect as he is college player. I expect a lot of juniors to come out and take advantage of this weak quarterback class, and I think McCoy would be pushed down draft boards.

Often Money talks, BS walks.

If he gets a high 1st day grade, he may be advised to leave. Especially if he wins Heisman and NC.

Addict
10-29-2008, 05:22 PM
wow... it's so surprising to see a guy answer a question the way every college athlete answers that question in october! I mean really I'm amazed McCoy hasn't prepared for this question, and gave a sincere answer.

I believe he's being honest and isn't just avoiding a question that essentially is "Hey, Colt, you wanna answer 'yes, I'll come out' to this question so that people can start nitpicking you from this point onward and have the fans of your school begging you not to leave at every game, practice and moment you spend awake? thanks"

What I'm trying to say is: what the hell did you expect him to say? "I don't know?" doesn't work that way. This interviewer is an acutal journalist, he wants an answer, and a frontrunner for the Heisman being undecided about coming out just isn't gonna cut it.

Babylon
10-29-2008, 05:54 PM
Often Money talks, BS walks.

If he gets a high 1st day grade, he may be advised to leave. Especially if he wins Heisman and NC.

How high is high 1st day?

P-L
10-29-2008, 06:08 PM
High first day grade is a stretch in my opinion. I guess if four of the five main underclassmen decide to stay for their senior years, he could get a late-1st or early-2nd Round grade due to lack of depth at the position. However, if guys like Stafford, Bradford, Sanchez, Freeman, and Tebow all declare I don't see Colt getting a high enough grade.

Babylon
10-29-2008, 06:24 PM
High first day grade is a stretch in my opinion. I guess if four of the five main underclassmen decide to stay for their senior years, he could get a late-1st or early-2nd Round grade due to lack of depth at the position. However, if guys like Stafford, Bradford, Sanchez, Freeman, and Tebow all declare I don't see Colt getting a high enough grade.

When they give a grade to a player thinking of coming out do they factor who else is coming out or is it just giving an area they think he should be drafted in? just curious.

STARHEATHER
10-29-2008, 07:29 PM
hes making a great decision. hes not going to be a high pick or a good nfl qb. just doesnt have the traits. hes proving to be the best player in college football right now. but its not the same game theyre playing out there. undersize and just nowhere near enough throwing the ball. his running is moot because he wont be able to do it at the nfl level and live very long and hes not going to be outrunning too many nfl lbs and dbs. some people are meant for a certain destiny. colt mccoys destiny is saturday afternoons and hero status. its not winning on sundays. playing great football this year. but its not the same thing as being able to do what an nfl qb has to do.

FinChase
10-30-2008, 03:42 PM
Actually, I think McCoy could be a competent NFL QB if he's given the chance to sit and learn for two or three years. If he got thrown in as a rookie it would be ugly. I wouldn't want to spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on him, but after point he'd be worth the investment. On the whole, though, I believe him when he says he plans to stay for his senior year.

jsa230
11-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Both mccoy and brennan will need at lest two years to sit and learn, but isnt this what makes the nfl so great. I mean look at tom brady, hes like the 200 somethinth overall pick and he was last years mvp...btw wasnt tom brady WAAY undrsized coming out, i remember seeing a vid of him at the combine and he looked like a high schooler compared to the rest of those guys as far as size is concernd... i think mccoy will stay since ut is pretty much out of the nc picture and its not looking as if he is going to win t he heisman. Next year when he comes out hes going to picked around late first to late second, and who knows he might just be the next ryan leaf or he might be the next tom brady.boogity boogity

Race for the Heisman
11-13-2008, 01:09 AM
Tom Brady was tiny coming out. He looked like a high school tight end. As for McCoy, I really like him. I'd definitely take him over Freeman, and I think he's on a similar prospect level as Bradford and Sanchez. He definitely doesn't have the physical tools Stafford has, but I think his attributes are comparable to those other two. I'd also take him before Tebow.

Mr. Stiller
11-13-2008, 01:25 AM
Tom Brady was tiny coming out. He looked like a high school tight end. As for McCoy, I really like him. I'd definitely take him over Freeman, and I think he's on a similar prospect level as Bradford and Sanchez. He definitely doesn't have the physical tools Stafford has, but I think his attributes are comparable to those other two. I'd also take him before Tebow.

http://evilbeetgossip.film.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/tombrady.jpg

DragonFireKai
11-13-2008, 01:42 AM
QBs who declare early have a much higher failure rate in the pros than QBs who maximize their starts in college. Aaron Rodgers is pretty much the only QB who's declared early who's had a decent amount of success in recent year. If McCoy want's to be a successful NFL player, he needs to stay. If he wants to maximize earnings, he might want to consider declaring.

Race for the Heisman
11-13-2008, 10:53 AM
QBs who declare early have a much higher failure rate in the pros than QBs who maximize their starts in college. Aaron Rodgers is pretty much the only QB who's declared early who's had a decent amount of success in recent year. If McCoy want's to be a successful NFL player, he needs to stay. If he wants to maximize earnings, he might want to consider declaring.

We've been over this a few times and while I agree with your initial assertion, Ben Roethlisberger (redshirt junior) and Michael Vick (redshirt sophomore) have had their fair share of success, just to play devil's advocate. JaMarcus Russell still has a tiny prayer, too. Like you say though, better to stay the extra year when considering long term success.

Babylon
11-13-2008, 01:15 PM
I would take it on a case by case basis. I think the top QBs enter college better prepared these days. If you take a 4 year player that sat his freshman year and put him up against a junior that started all 3 years my opinion is they are pretty much at the same level as far as experience goes.

MetSox17
11-24-2008, 07:53 PM
My sources tell me that Colt McCoy requested a draft grade, and will come out should they give him a first round grade.

This is a long shot obviously, but you never know what these scouts might think of him.

STARHEATHER
11-24-2008, 07:55 PM
could you imagine your team trotting colt mccoy out there as starting qb in the nfl. the horror! the horror!

Babylon
11-24-2008, 08:16 PM
My sources tell me that Colt McCoy requested a draft grade, and will come out should they give him a first round grade.

This is a long shot obviously, but you never know what these scouts might think of him.

Don't believe he will get a 1st round grade but not sure that should stop him from coming out, late first early second isnt going to make any differance.

STARHEATHER
11-24-2008, 08:19 PM
it makes huge difference in $$$$$$$$$$$$

Pokeys
11-24-2008, 08:21 PM
if he comes out thats good news for Gilbert and even greater news for Johnny Boy Chiles.

MetSox17
11-24-2008, 08:22 PM
Don't believe he will get a 1st round grade but not sure that should stop him from coming out, late first early second isnt going to make any differance.

Yeah, i really don't see him getting a first round grade, so he should stay. We'll have a better gauge of what he'll do once we see whether Bradford and Stafford will both declare. You can throw Sanchez into that mix as well.

LonghornsLegend
11-28-2008, 02:16 AM
Colt says he's gonna take a look to see where he's projected at going, but he still wants to come back, pretty much leaving the door open if he gets a high draft grade

AUSTIN Texas junior quarterback Colt McCoy plans to seek information from an NFL committee projecting where he might be drafted if he decides to leave school after this season.

I think it would be foolish not to look at it, McCoy said. At the same time, I want to play four years here. Not many people have had the opportunity to do that. Thats really special and important to me."

McCoy said he will talk with coach Mack Brown and weigh his options after the season. Players can submit paperwork to an NFL advisory committee to estimate where, or if, they might be taken in the draft. After reviewing the information a player can elect to stay in college or make himself available for the draft.

Im not familiar with the process, McCoy said. I dont know what goes on.

The only thing that would change his mind, McCoy said, is if hes projected as a first- or second-round pick.

McCoy is not projected as a first-round pick, according to several NFL mock drafts.

Would it change your thinking? McCoy said. Well see what happens.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/6136056.html

MetSox17
11-28-2008, 10:50 AM

I heard it first! lol

I would tell you how, but i would get infracted.

D-Unit
11-28-2008, 12:28 PM
Here we go again with just another player who said they'll return and then back out of their word again. Good for him.

LeSean McCoy is next.

Babylon
11-28-2008, 12:52 PM
That story if accurate stated 1st or 2nd round grade. Seems like he's hedging a bit. My guess is he'll get a 2nd round grade.

MetSox17
11-30-2008, 01:24 PM
Here we go again with just another player who said they'll return and then back out of their word again. Good for him.

LeSean McCoy is next.

Coming from Colt, it might be slightly surprising because he really seems like a guy dedicated to the program, but he needs a first round grade, which he probably wont get.

LonghornsLegend
12-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Texas Longhorns quarterback Colt McCoy will return for his senior season, the Austin American-Statesman reported Monday on its Web site.

McCoy
"I'm not going anywhere," McCoy told the newspaper.

McCoy, who had previously said he would file paperwork to receive feedback from an NFL advisory committee about his draft prospects, is hungry for a national title after the Longhorns fell just short of a berth in the BCS championship game, the Statesman reported.

"I'm coming back because we have a solid coaching staff," McCoy said. "And I'm coming back because I feel like I can develop the young receivers we have."

Texas finished the regular season ranked third in the BCS standings behind Oklahoma and Florida.

McCoy, a redshirt junior, said Monday he had also decided against testing the waters for the draft or seeking an evaluation for his coaches at UT from the NFL.

McCoy had hinted before that he would stay for a fourth year at Texas.

"I've been blessed to be able to play here," McCoy told The Sporting News in October. "Not very many people get to [start] here for four years, so what an opportunity."

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3754860

Longhorns 4 National Championship 09 :)

John Preston
12-08-2008, 07:42 PM
"McCoy coming back when he was told by Advisory Committee he'd be a 6th round draft pick".

Race for the Heisman
12-08-2008, 07:46 PM
"McCoy coming back when he was told by Advisory Committee he'd be a 6th round draft pick".

From where? I can't believe even with their conservative approach he'd be that low.

John Preston
12-08-2008, 07:50 PM
From where? I can't believe even with their conservative approach he'd be that low.

It was tongue in cheek. I, however, can't see him going in the first three rounds. He has marginal arm strength, a checkered injury history, and plays in the spread. He also lacks size. That's a pretty devastating combo for a prospect.

Race for the Heisman
12-08-2008, 07:53 PM
It was tongue in cheek. I, however, can't see him going in the first three rounds. He has marginal arm strength, a checkered injury history, and plays in the spread. He also lacks size. That's a pretty devastating combo for a prospect.

I would agree with most of that, although I think his arm is good enough and his size isn't that bad. The thing going in his favor is this awful quarterback class, but even then you could be more right than wrong...

GBahDunka
12-08-2008, 07:58 PM
his arm strength is not bad at all, he has a pretty nice rifle. 6'3 216 is too small? he can still bulk from that too. He has quick feet and has always been really tough and bounced back from injuries. Yes he plays in the spread but most college teams are converting to the spread now days. Bradford plays in a version of the spread and you can argue that they have a "system too". Im sick of people thinking they sound smart by saying that systems matter that much. He can be developed within a year which i completely believe. He was a monster in college when he was 6'1 179. Pro scouts will be inlove with him this time next year.

Scott Wright
12-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Everyone knows how I feel about underclassmen saying they are staying in school this time of year but with McCoy I kind of buy it...

He's had a week off now to gauge his draft stock and I'm sure Mack Brown looked into it for him and layed it out. AT BEST McCoy is a second or third round pick and personally I think he is more of a mid-rounder.

illmatic74
12-08-2008, 08:06 PM
his arm strength is not bad at all, he has a pretty nice rifle. 6'3 216 is too small? he can still bulk from that too. He has quick feet and has always been really tough and bounced back from injuries. Yes he plays in the spread but most college teams are converting to the spread now days. Bradford plays in a version of the spread and you can argue that they have a "system too". Im sick of people thinking they sound smart by saying that systems matter that much. He can be developed within a year which i completely believe. He was a monster in college when he was 6'1 179. Pro scouts will be inlove with him this time next year.First his arm strength is lacking for a top NFL prospect. Also the spread Oklahoma runs and the one Texas runs is completely different. Texas is quick throw quick route offense that minimizes reads. Bradford's offfense is a spread but more prostyle.

GBahDunka
12-08-2008, 08:18 PM
He will be able to excel at the next level in a west coast offense. He is a mix between improvisional romo and jeff garcia. But I do see some brees in his game. His arm strength is not cutler strong but its not as week as penningtons. Colt can make every NFL throw and with time his arm will only get stronger. He a brainiac in the fact that he studies very hard and will do everything he can to be the best he can be. He is also a workout freak because of what i mentioned before; he wants to be great. He has an awesome head on his shoulders and has much more potential than a Chris Simms who was flashing greatness before his career was almost ended.

Scott Wright
12-08-2008, 09:21 PM
He is a mix between improvisional romo and jeff garcia.

I can see that.

However, both of those guys went undrafted...

Ward
12-08-2008, 09:37 PM
I like it because McCoy will go down as the greatest UT QB in history, regardless of wether or not they make it to the NC game next season or not. I know it's hard for some of us to imagine, but it kind of kicks ass to be treated like a god in a city with as many beautiful people as Austin. So if he wants to stretch that out for one more year (and ultimately his entire life), I say go for it. And unless you're guaranteed top 10, it makes sense financially.

illmatic74
12-08-2008, 09:38 PM
I like it because McCoy will go down as the greatest UT QB in history, regardless of wether or not they make it to the NC game next season or not. I know it's hard for some of us to imagine, but it kind of kicks ass to be treated like a god in a city with as many beautiful people as Austin. So if he wants to stretch that out for one more year (and ultimately his entire life), I say go for it. And unless you're guaranteed top 10, it makes sense financially.Vince Young?

GBahDunka
12-08-2008, 09:46 PM
I can see that.

However, both of those guys went undrafted...

They both went undrafted but Jeff Garcia went to San Jose State and Romo went to eastern Illinois; neither of which are a marquee program like Texas is. Everyone knows who Colt is when nobody knew who garcia or romo were.

Every true UT fan(which i am not) will say that major applewhite is the best quarterback in UT history which i may also say Colt is, he is the best passer and when I look at vince young i dont think he won games with his arm, he won it with his legs and i dont think of him as a true quarterback. The only game he really won with his arm was against ohio state and thats when limas sweet made a freak of a catch.

illmatic74
12-08-2008, 09:53 PM
They both went undrafted but Jeff Garcia went to San Jose State and Romo went to eastern Illinois; neither of which are a marquee program like Texas is. Everyone knows who Colt is when nobody knew who garcia or romo were.

Every true UT fan(which i am not) will say that major applewhite is the best quarterback in UT history which i may also say Colt is, he is the best passer and when I look at vince young i dont think he won games with his arm, he won it with his legs and i dont think of him as a true quarterback. The only game he really won with his arm was against ohio state and thats when limas sweet made a freak of a catch.He is trying to say you have know idea iif Mccoy will devlelop like Romo and Garcia did. I remember watching Demetris Williams of Oregon now with the Ravens seemed to be the same player Chad Johnson was coming out of Oregon State. Their scouting reports were almost identical but Demetris Williams never became Chad Johnson and I don't know if Mccoy will be the next Romo.

GBahDunka
12-08-2008, 10:12 PM
He is trying to say you have know idea iif Mccoy will devlelop like Romo and Garcia did. I remember watching Demetris Williams of Oregon now with the Ravens seemed to be the same player Chad Johnson was coming out of Oregon State. Their scouting reports were almost identical but Demetris Williams never became Chad Johnson and I don't know if Mccoy will be the next Romo.

hes worth taking that chance though

Race for the Heisman
12-08-2008, 10:46 PM
hes worth taking that chance though

I think most would agree with you, the difference of opinion comes down to where that risk comes, as in what round. For me it would probably be higher than most, but for most it's probably fifth at the earliest, maybe fourth.

LonghornsLegend
12-09-2008, 01:14 AM
Vince Young?

No. McCoy has already broken majority of his records, won more games, obviously he doesn't have the Nation Championship yet but next year he could easily make the Heisman and NC a reality, but Ward is still right...He has a chance to become a legend(as does Tebow) and for guys who aren't top 15 picks then why not go back for that chance.

MetSox17
12-09-2008, 01:22 AM
No. McCoy has already broken majority of his records, won more games, obviously he doesn't have the Nation Championship yet but next year he could easily make the Heisman and NC a reality, but Ward is still right...He has a chance to become a legend(as does Tebow) and for guys who aren't top 15 picks then why not go back for that chance.

I don't think we can call McCoy the best quarterback yet. Yes, he has a ton of records, but all he has to his name right now are Alamo and Holiday Bowl victories.

Vince has back-to-back Rose Bowls and Rose Bowl MVP's in his pocket, so if Colt wins the Heisman and then the Rose Bowl, then we can talk. It's unfair to look at the passing stats and compare them to Vince cause they were two completely different players. Mack coulda run the option all day with Vince and they'd never be stopped.

Monomach
12-09-2008, 01:26 AM
could you imagine your team trotting colt mccoy out there as starting qb in the nfl. the horror! the horror!

After a couple years on the bench learning the playbook, I'd be ok with it. I think McCoy will be an ok NFL QB.

It helps that you hate him and gave your typical no-information, dramatically vague ultra-criticism. That means he'll probably he'll be a ten time all-pro and break most of the passing records.

As for his statement that he's not coming out for the draft...For once I believe it. I usually think these statements are a load of crap, but it's not like he'd be a first day pick if he came out this year. He could improve his stock if he stayed, so he's actually got something to go back for.

Ward
12-09-2008, 01:54 AM
I don't think we can call McCoy the best quarterback yet. Yes, he has a ton of records, but all he has to his name right now are Alamo and Holiday Bowl victories.

Vince has back-to-back Rose Bowls and Rose Bowl MVP's in his pocket, so if Colt wins the Heisman and then the Rose Bowl, then we can talk. It's unfair to look at the passing stats and compare them to Vince cause they were two completely different players. Mack coulda run the option all day with Vince and they'd never be stopped.

For me the clincher is team talent. Vince played on maybe the most talented Texas team ever the year of the NC. Colt has played on far less talented teams IMO. Compared the secondary Colt's had this year with the one Vince had during the NC. Colt has all freshmen, Vince had Michael Huff and a boat-load of Griffins. Put Michael Huff on the field in that Tech game, and Texas goes undefeated because Huff doesn't drop the pick, and if he did he damn sure would have covered Crabtree properly on that late TD. Colt already has the records. The NC should have happened this year, and we'll see if he pulls off the Heisman.

MetSox17
12-09-2008, 02:33 AM
For me the clincher is team talent. Vince played on maybe the most talented Texas team ever the year of the NC. Colt has played on far less talented teams IMO. Compared the secondary Colt's had this year with the one Vince had during the NC. Colt has all freshmen, Vince had Michael Huff and a boat-load of Griffins. Put Michael Huff on the field in that Tech game, and Texas goes undefeated because Huff doesn't drop the pick, and if he did he damn sure would have covered Crabtree properly on that late TD. Colt already has the records. The NC should have happened this year, and we'll see if he pulls off the Heisman.

Well the talent argument can go both ways. Vince single handedly beat a team with Chad Henne, Mike Hart, Steve Breaston and Braylon Edwards. Then the year after that he beat (let's see if i have enough fingers to count these..) Sedrick Ellis, Keith Rivers, Darnell Bing, Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, Lenwhale White, Dwayne Jarrett, Patrick Turner, Steve Smith, plus that monster offensive line.

Not to mention that they beat Ohio State @ the horse shoe. I don't think we can look at the talent on the teams and compare who has been a greater quarterback. This is no knock on McCoy, cause coming in second to Vince Young is no defeat, but Vince has TWO Rose bowl trophies, one being a national championship. They're completely different quarterbacks, so we can't sit here and say McCoy is better because he has passing records, when that clearly was never Young's first decision (to throw).

Also, let's not forget that Vince got robbed of the Heisman that year. I'm sure he didn't mind trading that hardware for a National Championship, which i'm sure McCoy would do in a heartbeat this year (should he win it).

A Perfect Score
12-09-2008, 03:23 AM
Vince Young beat one of the most talented teams in college football by himself in that Rose Bowl. 467 yards of total offense by himself is just incredible. I still maintain that is one of the most impressive performances ive ever seen on a football field. Metsox already listed the players on that USC team...I havent seen anything from McCoy that leads me to think he could do the same thing. Comparing them isnt even fair to Vince.

And I think McCoy has a shot to be a late 2nd/early 3rd rounder if he declares this year.

giantsfan
12-09-2008, 03:39 AM
I think Colt would be a little ahead of Freeman and Tebow in the battle for first QB to go in round two

Ward
12-09-2008, 11:27 AM
The idea that Vince beat USC by himself is a joke. He was a difference maker, yes. But by himself? That is why USC lost, because everyone on the planet assumed Texas wasn't as good a team as you said, (let's see if i have enough fingers to count these..) Sedrick Ellis, Keith Rivers, Darnell Bing, Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, Lenwhale White, Dwayne Jarrett, Patrick Turner, Steve Smith, plus that monster offensive line.

Well surprise, Texas had a great team that year as well, that's why they beat tOSU and USC. They were better. Vince didn't make Reggie Bush attempt to pitch the ball, Vince didn't stuff them on that 4th down try, and Vince wasn't playing defense all game and blocking for himself. Vince was the most unique athlete on the field, but the Texas team that year was ridiculous. Anyone who disagrees are the same people who were shocked Texas won that game.

Personally, I still get fired up over the amount of disrespect leading up to that game. If you all recall, ESPN was literally proclaiming USC the best team ever. Texas, despite playing a harder schedule, having a better defense, and having an MVP that wasn't involved in receiving money for housing was the underdog. So everybody quit feeding into the myth that VY single handedly beat USC. That's just not how it happened.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
12-09-2008, 11:34 AM
The idea that Vince beat USC by himself is a joke. He was a difference maker, yes. But by himself? That is why USC lost, because everyone on the planet assumed Texas wasn't as good a team as you said,

Well surprise, Texas had a great team that year as well, that's why they beat tOSU and USC. They were better. Vince didn't make Reggie Bush attempt to pitch the ball, Vince didn't stuff them on that 4th down try, and Vince wasn't playing defense all game and blocking for himself. Vince was the most unique athlete on the field, but the Texas team that year was ridiculous. Anyone who disagrees are the same people who were shocked Texas won that game.

Personally, I still get fired up over the amount of disrespect leading up to that game. If you all recall, ESPN was literally proclaiming USC the best team ever. Texas, despite playing a harder schedule, having a better defense, and having an MVP that wasn't involved in receiving money for housing was the underdog. So everybody quit feeding into the myth that VY single handedly beat USC. That's just not how it happened.

You're right. I don't think Texas was quite a talented as SC, but still, they were very very talented. And in the game, Vince might have been the one making all the plays, but the D stepped up huge with a pick of Leinart in the endzone and that 4th down stop. Without either of those 2, we'd be talking about the three"Pete". Also, the O-Line was awesome, I remember seeing on quite a few plays the DEs not even getting upfield, the Texas OL was so dominant.

Race for the Heisman
12-09-2008, 11:35 AM
The idea that Vince beat USC by himself is a joke. He was a difference maker, yes. But by himself? That is why USC lost, because everyone on the planet assumed Texas wasn't as good a team as you said,

Irrelevant, but otherwise a good argument.

LonghornsLegend
12-09-2008, 11:57 AM
Then the year after that he beat (let's see if i have enough fingers to count these..) Sedrick Ellis, Keith Rivers, Darnell Bing, Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, Lenwhale White, Dwayne Jarrett, Patrick Turner, Steve Smith, plus that monster offensive line.

Yea but you and I both know how talented Texas was that year, I believe on defense 10 of 11 starters are in the NFL right now or were drafted and the USC D-coordinator called it at the time and said all those guys would get drafted, and 8 on the offensive side ended up in the NFL, this year what Colt did with the offense was amazing...I know he's a different QB, but his completion percentage in the big games, no reliable TE that catches everything like David Thomas around(which I don't even want to imagine our offense without Vince throwing to him in 2005), and our offense was just as explosive this year all the while seriously lacking playmakers we had in 2005 like Limas Sweed, Jamaal Charles, Ramonce Taylor, Selvin Young.

I don't think Colt is there yet, but if he beats Ohio St., and wins a Heisman and NC before he leaves then I won't see any problem proclaiming him.

MetSox17
12-09-2008, 12:13 PM

I agree that that Texas team was absolutely loaded on defense, and that it was a complete team effort to beat that great USC team, but c'mon. Let's get serious here. No one else on the planet that isn't a pro-athlete could have played quarterback better that game.

The only reason i brought up the talent that USC had is because you sort of discredited Vince's wins because he had more talent around him. Well they faced the best of the best as well, so i think it's all a wash.

I agree that BSPN was waxing USC's pole waaaayyyy too much. They did pretty much say they were the greatest team ever. Which is pretty ridiculous to assume BEFORE the championship game was played :rolleyes:

Yea but you and I both know how talented Texas was that year, I believe on defense 10 of 11 starters are in the NFL right now or were drafted and the USC D-coordinator called it at the time and said all those guys would get drafted, and 8 on the offensive side ended up in the NFL, this year what Colt did with the offense was amazing...I know he's a different QB, but his completion percentage in the big games, no reliable TE that catches everything like David Thomas around(which I don't even want to imagine our offense without Vince throwing to him in 2005), and our offense was just as explosive this year all the while seriously lacking playmakers we had in 2005 like Limas Sweed, Jamaal Charles, Ramonce Taylor, Selvin Young.

I don't think Colt is there yet, but if he beats Ohio St., and wins a Heisman and NC before he leaves then I won't see any problem proclaiming him.

Again, i'm not taking anything away from that Texas team. It was one of the best Texas has ever had. But again, that USC team was absolutely ridiculously loaded with talent as well. That's why i said the talent issue is a wash. Colt McCoy might hold all the records Texas has, but in my eyes he'll never be as great a quarterback as Vince was, unless he wins a national championship.