PDA

View Full Version : Is Herman Johnson Too Tall To Play Guard In The Nfl????

DreadedDatSkinsFan
10-27-2008, 04:29 PM
6'7...6'8....Whatever his hieght is.. I know it sounds like an odd question...but most NFL teams seem to prefer guards between 6'2 and 6'4....So does his enormous size hurt him a little??? And his he athletic enough to be moved to Tackle???

ThePudge
10-27-2008, 04:39 PM
No. Bengals LG Andrew Whitworth may be their best offensive lineman right now and he stands at 6'7. Stacy Andrews was a terrific LG before moving to RT. He also stands 6'7. While 6'7 is very tall and wouldn't work in zone blocking schemes such as Green Bay, Denver, or Houston, it is typically fine for a Guard to be that height. A Center is really the only position in most offenses that can't be more than 6'5 or so. His size helps him, seeing as he will likely be looked at as a LG/RG/RT prospect.

Cigaro
10-27-2008, 05:45 PM
No. Maybe he'd be so in New Orleans with Drew Brees, but otherwise, the NFL has tall enough quarterbacks. You have to take into effect that he won't be standing straight up once the ball is snapped, because if so, he's in a load of trouble.

But for your second question, a team like Pittsburgh who could use both a tackle and guard would be very wise to select Johnson, for the very reason that he has the potential to move outside, and if the move isn't successful, still be a quality guard.

bored of education
10-27-2008, 06:19 PM
LG or RT he will be beast wherever the **** he plays. Great footwork for a big bastard.

BeerBaron
10-27-2008, 06:34 PM
LG or RT he will be beast wherever the **** he plays. Great footwork for a big bastard.

Yeah and I saw him almost run someone half his size down on an INT return that last game....

Big fella can move

Ozzy
10-27-2008, 06:39 PM
Um no, is Leonard Davis too tall?

Paranoidmoonduck
10-27-2008, 07:04 PM
Maybe, in some plays, height becomes a little less ideal. But it shouldn't prevent him from being overall effective. Robert Gallery has been playing top notch left guard for Oakland for a season and a half now, and he stands 6-7.

saintsfan912
10-27-2008, 07:10 PM
He's 6'9 with the fro! ha

Staubach12
10-27-2008, 07:16 PM
Not in the least. He uses his leverage well, so I don't see it as a problem at all.

Mr. Stiller
10-27-2008, 08:33 PM
With good Balance/Techinique/Knee bend etc.

A 6'7/6'8 Guard is really only 6'3-6'5.

Bruce Banner
10-27-2008, 08:34 PM
I'd prefer massive maulers in the middle (assuming my QB won't have trouble).

eaglesalltheway
10-28-2008, 06:45 AM
6'7 isn't too tall for an OG. There are a ton of examples, I'll just add another, Todd Herremans is a natural Tackle playing LG, and he is 6'7. I can undeerstand more worries if he was 6'10 or more, Like King Dunlap (who is a LT) but 6'8 isn't much to worry about. Like said before, it is their playing height that matters most. Personally, depending on what the Eagles want to do, I could see us selecting him in the first round, depending on where the selctions wind up being.

Larry121283
10-28-2008, 12:58 PM
No way. The man is a legit stud.

Man, do I love the top two guards in this years class. Duke Robinson and Herman Johnson are just All-World OG prospects, IMO. Maybe not quite Steve Hutchinson, but anyone after that is fair game, IMO.

Jaguars need to take one of these guys and have an elite guard for the next 10-15 years.

Iamcanadian
10-29-2008, 02:06 AM
He's not going to be coveted by all teams, a lot will depend on the blocking schemes teams use. ZBS teams may avoid him but teams that like massive OLmen for pass blocking or prefer to run up the gut rather than go wide a lot may love the guy. Many teams have different requirements for the OG position.

Menardo75
10-29-2008, 02:09 AM
No it should'nt be a problem. Plenty of tall guards out there. He might become the best of the bunch.

eaglesalltheway
10-29-2008, 06:41 AM
No way. The man is a legit stud.

Man, do I love the top two guards in this years class. Duke Robinson and Herman Johnson are just All-World OG prospects, IMO. Maybe not quite Steve Hutchinson, but anyone after that is fair game, IMO.

Jaguars need to take one of these guys and have an elite guard for the next 10-15 years.

They are the two best OG prospects I can rememberm but I haven't followed the draft for more than 5 years now so that is a little misleading. And we have Alex Mack, the best C prospect (IMO) I can remember, and three very good OT prospects, not to mention all the quality OT prospects after that. This OL class is going to be sick!!!

fenikz
10-29-2008, 09:53 AM
Um no, is Leonard Davis too tall?

yes, too fat too

iBoldin
10-29-2008, 10:13 AM
They are the two best OG prospects I can rememberm but I haven't followed the draft for more than 5 years now so that is a little misleading. And we have Alex Mack, the best C prospect (IMO) I can remember, and three very good OT prospects, not to mention all the quality OT prospects after that. This OL class is going to be sick!!!

Every part of the offensive line is extremely deep, even the centers have three or four quality guys too.

Vox Populi
10-29-2008, 10:45 AM
No. ten characters.

eaglesalltheway
10-29-2008, 01:58 PM
Every part of the offensive line is extremely deep, even the centers have three or four quality guys too.

I know, I can't wait for this draft. Looking back historically, strong draft classes usually have a strong Offensive line if I remember correctly.

Smokey Joe
10-29-2008, 09:06 PM
it all depends on the system.