PDA

View Full Version : Jake Locker as a pro prospect.

steelersfan43
10-27-2008, 10:03 PM
Where does he look like he will go in the draft(when he comes out)? Anyone who watches the huskies knows he is actually the entire team. And that lack of a team is what i think is going to hurt him in his draft status. So where do you guys think he would go?

ThePudge
10-27-2008, 10:06 PM
Wrong forum.

steelersfan43
10-27-2008, 10:09 PM
Wrong forum.
Where should i have put it? Its not college football because its about the draft and its not for the 2009 draft so it cant go in the 2009 nfl draft forum.

Edit- i guess your right.. i thought people talked about prospects here, guess its all mocks

CJSchneider
10-27-2008, 10:12 PM
http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/lock1.jpg

steelersfan43
10-27-2008, 10:14 PM
Yea please delete this ill put it in the 09 draft forum

steelersfan43
10-27-2008, 10:15 PM
Where does he look like he will go in the draft(when he comes out)? Anyone who watches the huskies knows he is actually the entire team, And that lack of a team is what i think is going to hurt him in his draft status. So where do you guys think he would go?

Bruce Banner
10-27-2008, 10:18 PM
I can't put a finger on the guy.

He'll wow me then make me wonder if he'll get drafted the next play.

He has the physical tools. Speed, size, etc.

Not sure how well his arm strength, accuracy, and touch compare to other top prospects though.

Babylon
10-27-2008, 10:19 PM
Where should i have put it? Its not college football because its about the draft and its not for the 2009 draft so it cant go in the 2009 nfl draft forum.

Well there is a thread about Terrell Pryor in the draft forum so that should answer that question.

Jake broke his hand about a month ago and is pretty much done for the year. I've watched him play since highschool and he's a great athlete, strong armed big kid with power and speed, unfortunately even though he has a strong arm he doesnt throw with touch and is very eratic as far as accuracy goes. He is a redshirt soph so he could be there for 2 more years and if he can get his passes under control he could be a star at the position but he needs a lot of work.

I think he has two options if QB doesnt work out, one he played safety in highschool and is a very physical player so i think he could make that transition.The other option is baseball, he played some semi pro ball over the summer and some think he would be a 5 tool player on the diamond. Wish him well he's one of the greatest kids you could ever meet.

CashmoneyDrew
10-27-2008, 10:24 PM
I haven't really seen him play any, but I've heard he's pretty similar to Tim Tebow. Is this true?

Bruce Banner
10-27-2008, 10:26 PM
I haven't really seen him play any, but I've heard he's pretty similar to Tim Tebow. Is this true?

Similar.

Except Locker is a pretty freaky athlete. He was going to play safety when he hurt his hand.

princefielder28
10-27-2008, 10:26 PM
At this point in time Locker has the physical tools you look for and the supporting cast is very suspect so the stats don't tell the whole story. The big thing with him will be those tools, combined with his potential, getting him to the level of a legitimate prospect. Can he be a top tier QB, like 1st or 2nd rounder? Definitely. Is he at this point? No.

steelersfan43
10-27-2008, 10:27 PM
Well there is a thread about Terrell Pryor in the draft forum so that should answer that question.

Jake broke his hand about a month ago and is pretty much done for the year. I've watched him play since highschool and he's a great athlete, strong armed big kid with power and speed, unfortunately even though he has a strong arm he doesnt throw with touch and is very eratic as far as accuracy goes. He is a redshirt soph so he could be there for 2 more years and if he can get his passes under control he could be a star at the position but he needs a lot of work.

I think he has two options if QB doesnt work out, one he played safety in highschool and is a very physical player so i think he could make that transition.The other option is baseball, he played some semi pro ball over the summer and some think he would be a 5 tool player on the diamond. Wish him well he's one of the greatest kids you could ever meet.
Yea I watched him play at ferndale too. I watched when they played against bellevue and for the finals games at the tacoma dome. I hope he can work on his accuracy touch. I just feel so bad for him because he really has to do it all by himself on offense.

Babylon
10-27-2008, 10:28 PM

We seem to have two identical threads going on this subject. Jake is faster than Tebow, better arm strength. Problem is sometimes he doesnt know where the ball is going. Still has two more years of eligibility after this year and will probably need it.

soybean
10-27-2008, 10:28 PM
i loved the bomb he threw at the end of the hawaii game last year. thing of beauty.

Bruce Banner
10-27-2008, 10:30 PM
LOCKER > Tebow
and it's not even close.

djp
10-27-2008, 10:31 PM
My report on Locker...

JAKE LOCKER, QB WASHINGTON

Gutsy, gutsy player to go along with great athleticism and a big-time cannon. His weakness right now is the intermediate passing game and not knowing how much touch to put on the ball. His accuracy is a little shaky at times as well, but nothing that can't be fixed. Has a quick release on his throws. Projects right now as a 4th-5th rounder but could move into the mid first round for the 2010 NFL Draft if he shows improvement next year after he comes back from injury.

steelersfan43
10-27-2008, 10:32 PM
We seem to have two identical threads going on this subject. Jake is faster than Tebow, better arm strength. Problem is sometimes he doesnt know where the ball is going. Still has two more years of eligibility after this year and will probably need it.

Yea i put that one in the wrong forum. It will probably get locked soon.

Bruce Banner
10-27-2008, 10:32 PM
Replace Tebow with Locker and Florida fans will be creaming more than Scotty. (After seeing him play....)

Babylon
10-27-2008, 10:34 PM
Yea I watched him play at ferndale too. I watched when they played against bellevue and for the finals games at the tacoma dome. I hope he can work on his accuracy touch. I just feel so bad for him because he really has to do it all by himself on offense.\

They didnt have a great passing game at Ferndale so i think he was at a disadvantage when he got to the UW. That one play when he broke through the Bellevue defense and then sprinted down the left sideline was great, he was flying on that play. As you well know.

holt_bruce81
10-27-2008, 10:45 PM
I think people around here were comparing Locker to Donovan Mcnabb earlier. I can't really say if it's a good comparison or not, I've only seen Locker play a few games.

renegade
10-27-2008, 10:48 PM
I like him, I like the gritty/athletic playmakers over the pretty boy QBs.

I like the Tony Romo, Brett Farve and Jeff Garcia type QB more than I like the Peyton Manning and Tom Brady type QB personally.

Some of my favorite QB prospects this year are Colt McCoy, Juice Williams and Joe Ganz (although they aren't the best) and next year Jake Locker jumps out at me. I am mixed on Tebow however he just isn't a good enough "true QB" yet although if he plays out to his potential he could be a pro-bowl caliber QB.

steelersfan43
10-27-2008, 10:51 PM
\

They didnt have a great passing game at Ferndale so i think he was at a disadvantage when he got to the UW. That one play when he broke through the Bellevue defense and then sprinted down the left sideline was great, he was flying on that play. As you well know.
Yea he was an amazing player to watch, even when you were rooting for the other team.

Babylon
10-27-2008, 10:58 PM
Yea he was an amazing player to watch, even when you were rooting for the other team.

So i take it you were rooting for hot tub high?

Brent
10-27-2008, 11:12 PM
Jeff Garcia without the accuracy on the run.

At the very least, he's fun to watch.

steelersfan43
10-27-2008, 11:19 PM
So i take it you were rooting for hot tub high?
Of course haha. Speaking of that a friend and I climbed up to the roof one night and got into the staircase through a window and got all the way up to the final door and it was locked!! I guess the mystery will live on forever!( I go to school there)

Babylon
10-27-2008, 11:25 PM
Of course haha. Speaking of that a friend and I climbed up to the roof one night and got into the staircase through a window and got all the way up to the final door and it was locked!! I guess the mystery will live on forever!( I go to school there)

Were you there when Stephen Shilling was playing?

steelersfan43
10-27-2008, 11:31 PM
Were you there when Steven Shilling was playing?
Yea I was.

Menardo75
10-27-2008, 11:56 PM
He seems like the same type of prospect as Tim Tebow really hard to tell right now.

doingthisinsteadofwork
10-27-2008, 11:56 PM
I haven't seem him play this much this year but I saw alot of him last year.The guy has great tools,a great arm,good size and incredible quickness and good speed.Again I haven't seen that much of him this year but based off of last year his accuracy needs to improve and he needs some more polishing.If he were to have a great year next year and improve on those two things, I see no reason as to why he shouldn't be a top five pick.

Race for the Heisman
10-28-2008, 10:13 AM
He's not like Tebow at all. He's runs entirely different and doesn't have the release issues Tebow has. I don't think he's quite as developed as Tebow as a passer as of now, but he has a greater ceiling than Tebow because of those two differences.

doingthisinsteadofwork
10-28-2008, 10:41 AM
With Willingham gone it looks like Locker will have a new HC.They just said on E!SPN Kiffin is interested.

SuperKevin
10-28-2008, 10:45 AM
I don't know if there is a quarterback with bigger accuracy problems than Locker right now.

DoWnThEfiElD
10-28-2008, 11:28 AM
His situation reminds me of Trent Edwards. Both were very highly ranked QBs coming out of HS who went to bad Pac-10 programs. I think given the right situation in the NFL he could be a very good QB.

ElectricEye
10-28-2008, 11:32 AM
Locker has a LONG way to go though. Watching him a few times, I'm not sold on his ability to run an NFL level offense at all, let alone make the throws accurately.

It's really hard to judge him because his supporting cast is trash, but he just hasn't done enough for me to think he can play quarterback in the NFL. He has a few more year...but I kinda think it's unlikely he puts it all together.

Babylon
10-28-2008, 11:38 AM
Locker has a LONG way to go though. Watching him a few times, I'm not sold on his ability to run an NFL level offense at all, let alone make the throws accurately.

It's really hard to judge him because his supporting cast is trash, but he just hasn't done enough for me to think he can play quarterback in the NFL. He has a few more year...but I kinda think it's unlikely he puts it all together.

I think his whole makeup is that of a leader and a guy who can be successful at the next level. Everything is there if he can improve his accuracy. You just dont find many 6-3 230 lb Qbs with 4.5 speed and a strong arm so the foundation is very good.

ElectricEye
10-28-2008, 11:41 AM
I think his whole makeup is that of a leader and a guy who can be successful at the next level. Everything is there if he can improve his accuracy. You just dont find many 6-3 230 lb Qbs with 4.5 speed and a strong arm so the foundation is very good.

Oh I can see that. The tools are almost peerless. He has shown that he can be a great leader this early in his career and that's almost amazing in a sense...I don't know though. If Kiffin does accept the Washington job, I would be very interested to see how he translates to Kiffin's prostyle offense.

Babylon
10-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Oh I can see that. The tools are almost peerless. He has shown that he can be a great leader this early in his career and that's almost amazing in a sense...I don't know though. If Kiffin does accept the Washington job, I would be very interested to see how he translates to Kiffin's prostyle offense.

As opposed to Willingham's highchool style offense?

SuperKevin
10-28-2008, 02:17 PM
As opposed to Willingham's highchool style offense?

Are you serious. You've never heard the term "pro style offense"?

Babylon
10-28-2008, 02:36 PM
Are you serious. You've never heard the term "pro style offense"?

I'm just frustrated with how far this storied program has dropped. I watch every game, every play.

SuperKevin
10-28-2008, 02:44 PM
Jake Locker will benefit a great deal if he gets a coach that teaches him how to play under center. Lane Kiffin is that coach

Turtlepower
10-28-2008, 03:12 PM
I honestly think he would be a much better safety in the NFL. He was one of the best safeties in the country in high school, so I think it is possible, but unlikely for him to be a safety in the NFL. I just don't think his future is that bright as a QB.

Babylon
10-28-2008, 03:27 PM
I honestly think he would be a much better safety in the NFL. He was one of the best safeties in the country in high school, so I think it is possible, but unlikely for him to be a safety in the NFL. I just don't think his future is that bright as a QB.

If you take playing QB out of the equation at the next level i'm not sure whether switching positions would outweigh playing baseball.

SuperKevin
10-28-2008, 03:32 PM
If you take playing QB out of the equation at the next level i'm not sure whether switching positions would outweigh playing baseball.

Does he play baseball at UW also? If not I doubt he goes high enough to get the kind of money the NFL will give him

Babylon
10-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Does he play baseball at UW also? If not I doubt he goes high enough to get the kind of money the NFL will give him

He played baseball this summer in the West Coast baseball league which is an amateur league of top players from the northwest, sort of like the Cape Cod league. As of now he doesnt play at the UW so i dont know how high he would go in a draft, would probably depend on what scouts think of him. A lot of these summer leagues are probably on a par or better than college ball so i think it keeps his option for that sport still open.

ElectricEye
10-28-2008, 06:50 PM
Locker was pretty nasty at baseball from what I heard. Five tool player. I don't think he'll go that route though, not having played organized ball for awhile. He could get drafted though. Similar situation to Dixon situation of last year.

Menardo75
10-28-2008, 06:54 PM
I agree that Kiffen would be exactly what Locker needs.

Babylon
10-28-2008, 06:55 PM
Locker was pretty nasty at baseball from what I heard. Five tool player. I don't think he'll go that route though, not having played organized ball for awhile. He could get drafted though. Similar situation to Dixon situation of last year.

What part of my post that he played in the West Coast baseball league this summer did you miss?

ElectricEye
10-28-2008, 06:59 PM
I saw that. I'm aware he played there. I frequent quite a few baseball prospect sites, so I knew before that even. But still, that's not an entire season. He played in like 10 games and put up meh numbers.

Babylon
10-28-2008, 07:06 PM
I saw that. I'm aware he played there. I frequent quite a few baseball prospect sites, so I knew before that even. But still, that's not an entire season. He played in like 10 games and put up meh numbers.

Fair enough.

Larry121283
10-28-2008, 09:28 PM
Can't even evaluate Locker yet.

I'll wait and see who they bring in as a coach and how he develops over the next two seasons before I can give him a draft grade. Right now he is too raw and hasn't done enough to really be considered drafting. It'd be all potential, really.