PDA

View Full Version : Draft prospects with character issues

Ozzy
10-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Since no one here knows players personally and can speak to them or be around them, we had to rely on media stories about their character.

Recently the story of the fact that Vernon Davis is a lazy self centered player and got publicly humiliated by his new head coach, thank you coach for that one.

He arguably is one of the most disappointing players in the NFL, how can a tight end with that kind of strength and speed be so unproductive on the field is ridiculous.

With that being said who are the character issue guys in this years upcoming draft? Anyone know of any players that have been in trouble in the past? I look quickly at the prospects and not many standout as guys who had trouble with the law. And it is hard to tell if a player has a attitude or work ethic problem as well.

Outside of the Clemson issue with horrible comments made by Cullen Harper, I cannot think of many prospects that have been in trouble. Then again I do not document such issues, even though really I should.

ThePudge
10-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Greg Hardy is one that has had some troubles with his coaches

Matthew Jones
10-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Cullen Harper (trashed Bowden), Rhett Bomar (expelled from OU), Brandon Ore (expelled from VT), Brandon Pettigrew (arrested for intoxication, assault on a police officer, faces up to five years if convicted), Alex Boone (drunk driving arrest, considered very cocky), B.J. Raji (cocky, academically eligible, low effort at times), Fili Moala (arrested for resisting a police officer, arrogant), and Rey Maualuga (arrested for battery in 2005 and had to go to AA meetings) are the first that come to mind. Michael Johnson is also a very lazy player reminiscent of Vernon Gholston last year, and Eugene Monroe's stock has been dropping due to his lazy play.

Matthew Jones
10-28-2008, 12:20 PM
Also, I can't see how, if Pettigrew could potentially be incarcerated for five years, people still consider him a first-round pick. I wouldn't touch him early on at all. Probably the third or fourth round. Jermaine Gresham is clearly the top tight end in this class if he declares.

Turtlepower
10-28-2008, 12:22 PM
DeMarcus Granger was arrested last year and suspended for the Fiesta Bowl for theft of some kind if I recall.

Race for the Heisman
10-28-2008, 12:22 PM
Maurice Evans and whomever he was rooming with are probably going to be asked about that marijuana come draft time.

Ozzy
10-28-2008, 12:59 PM
Maurice Evans and whomever he was rooming with are probably going to be asked about that marijuana come draft time.Oh yeah, and now Maybin is totally getting ahead of him on the field and in life, Evans is still a good player but even s ubconsciously I think less of him.

Anthony Scirrotto was also involved in some issues at Penn State I believe.

Cullen Harper (trashed Bowden), Rhett Bomar (expelled from OU), Brandon Ore (expelled from VT), Brandon Pettigrew (arrested for intoxication, assault on a police officer, faces up to five years if convicted), Alex Boone (drunk driving arrest, considered very cocky), B.J. Raji (cocky, academically eligible, low effort at times), Fili Moala (arrested for resisting a police officer, arrogant), and Rey Maualuga (arrested for battery in 2005 and had to go to AA meetings) are the first that come to mind. Michael Johnson is also a very lazy player reminiscent of Vernon Gholston last year, and Eugene Monroe's stock has been dropping due to his lazy play.Not sure you can put the expelled issue as high as actually breaking the law or doing illegal drugs. Sure you do not want prospects to be stupid but that was Jared Gaithers problem, but now he is a starting OT for the Ravens, does it matter he was expelled? Obviously hurts guys like Ore though, but Morley was expelled I believe last year but now is lights out on Tennessee as a safety opposite Berry.

I always remember Marshawn Lynch, he had issue coming into the draft I had him drop out of the 1st round because of it but turns out it did not effect it much. Guess Lynch did not have a body of work of breaking the law.

Also Winston Justice, loved him as a prospect, supposedly had character issues and we all know where he is now, backup on the Eagles.

Turtlepower
10-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Did Lynch really have any issues besides being widely known as a huge pothead?

Ozzy
10-28-2008, 01:22 PM
A former girlfriend of California RB Marshawn Lynch, a projected first-round pick in the 2007 NFL Draft, is accusing him of sexual assault.
The woman was reportedly granted a restraining order after alleging that Lynch slapped and assaulted her in December. His attorney confirms Lynch was questioned by police but says no violence took place.
Source: KCBS
This was one of the issues with Lynch coming up to the draft.

Larry Johnson for example, spitting in a woman's face, that is wonderful for team PR...ummm yeaaaah.

Don Vito
10-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Greg Hardy could have some issues. He has been somewhat of a mystery this year, he has been utterly dominant whenever he has been on the field but he has hardly played. Here at Ole Miss the word is that he hasn't been playing because his foot injury has been nagging him and he reinjured it against Florida. However, others are saying the coaching staff has been having a lot of problems with Hardy's attitude.

Babylon
10-28-2008, 01:57 PM
Mark Sanchez had some issues with a woman when he first got to SC. Havent heard of any problems since.

dhp318
10-28-2008, 02:02 PM
Just to say: Vernon Davis is not lazy. He's probably one of the hardest working and practicing players on that team.

illmatic74
10-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Don't care as long as they perform on the field.

Babylon
10-28-2008, 02:35 PM
Don't care as long as they perform on the field.

I think the issue with character is whether the player has done something stupid or is inherently a bad apple. Lawrence Phillips, Pacman Jones are the types that will eventually self destruct so no matter how good they are you're better off staying away.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
10-28-2008, 04:31 PM
I dont know if he is a prospect...But when u go to FSU I guess u are always considered a prospect until u do not produce....But Preston Parker had a gun and some weed in the off season....

Cigaro
10-28-2008, 05:22 PM
Just to say: Vernon Davis is not lazy. He's probably one of the hardest working and practicing players on that team.

Being a monster in the weight room and giving it your all on the field are two different things.

Brandon Spikes I know has trouble with running his mouth, but nothing criminal as far as I've heard.

Brent
10-28-2008, 05:37 PM
Being a monster in the weight room and giving it your all on the field are two different things.
He didn't just say the weight room. Vernon always gives his all on the field and in practice. People are just getting all over him because Singletary called him out for running his mouth and getting a penalty. No one in the organization questions Vernon's work ethic or dedication to the team.

Menardo75
10-28-2008, 07:04 PM
Yes it's the fact that he is not the sharpest tool in the shed, that worries the 49ers.

Ozzy
10-28-2008, 08:22 PM
He didn't just say the weight room. Vernon always gives his all on the field and in practice. People are just getting all over him because Singletary called him out for running his mouth and getting a penalty. No one in the organization questions Vernon's work ethic or dedication to the team.If his work ethic was so amazing, he would not, and I mean would not produce as poorly as he does on the field. He should be a year in year out pro bowl tight end.

Explain why he is not? Because he works too hard at being great, yeah right. Pretty sure every NFL player is in the weight room, but how often does he go run routes, catch passes or study defenses? I have no idea, by my guess is not much and he got called out not for one incident, this issue I assume has been building for awhile.

Malaka
10-28-2008, 08:37 PM
Willie Williams is one with a rap sheet as long as your arm, he has everything you look for in a LB, the size, speed, and pass-rushing ability. Went to UM, but transfered because he did not start his Freshman year. He is now at Union College after hopping through a bunch of colleges UM and Louisville a couple of em', he is definitely worth a 6th or 7th round pick IMO, if he stayed at UM, and lessened his character issues he'd be a day one pick.

renegade
10-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Willie Williams is one with a rap sheet as long as your arm, he has everything you look for in a LB, the size, speed, and pass-rushing ability. Went to UM, but transfered because he did not start his Freshman year. He is now at Union College after hopping through a bunch of colleges UM and Louisville a couple of em', he is definitely worth a 6th or 7th round pick IMO, if he stayed at UM, and lessened his character issues he'd be a day one pick.

ooo... I have to say that he is not getting drafted. He has every physical tool you could ever want in a LB but this kid is one heck of a trouble maker off of the field. He has been kicked off of Louisville's team and he had 11 arrests before even stepping on the field for the The-U. No way I take a chance on him.

Malaka
10-28-2008, 08:59 PM
ooo... I have to say that he is not getting drafted. He has every physical tool you could ever want in a LB but this kid is one heck of a trouble maker off of the field. He has been kicked off of Louisville's team and he had 11 arrests before even stepping on the field for the The-U. No way I take a chance on him.

My current high school coach, coached him at Carol City, so I know a lot about him because he talks about him.

He just has everything you want I am almost sure someone will take a risk with at least a 7th round pick, he has settled down a bit at Union College but damn he is truly a criminal.

ElectricEye
10-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Willie Williams is just kind of sad. The ironic part is he's a fairly intelligent kid off the streets and in the classroom.

giantsfan
10-28-2008, 11:16 PM
If his work ethic was so amazing, he would not, and I mean would not produce as poorly as he does on the field. He should be a year in year out pro bowl tight end.

Explain why he is not? Because he works too hard at being great, yeah right. Pretty sure every NFL player is in the weight room, but how often does he go run routes, catch passes or study defenses? I have no idea, by my guess is not much and he got called out not for one incident, this issue I assume has been building for awhile.

Because he has no agility, only straight line speed, horrible hands and is stupid.

LonghornsLegend
10-28-2008, 11:28 PM
It didn't hurt Brandon Flowers stock too much when he's facebook page was posted and he looked like Dopeman of the year...Unless it's a serious issue somebody will still take a chance around the range they are supposed to go.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
10-28-2008, 11:45 PM
If they aren't caught with drugs, IMO it's not a big deal. Let's be honest, the amount of college kids, athletes or not, who smoke marijuana is in all likelihood a lot higher than those who don't. A lot higher.