PDA

View Full Version : Looks like we're not getting Stienbach...

Hurricane Ditka
03-02-2007, 05:42 PM
I told you so...Depending on what happens with Ruben Brown I can still see us going offensive line high in the draft. If Ruben leaves I could see a guard in round one, if Blalock or Sears are still there. Although all of this contingent on what happens with Briggs and Jones.

blkwdw13
03-02-2007, 05:45 PM
He was to expensive anyways.

Hurricane Ditka
03-02-2007, 05:46 PM
He was to expensive anyways. I said that. Many times. I was right, smokey was wrong. Woot.

Smokey Joe
03-02-2007, 07:47 PM
I said that. Many times. I was right, smokey was wrong. Woot.

I never said he wouldn't be expensive, and I never said we should go heavily after him. All I said is that at the right price I wouldn't mind him... :)

BUSTKUNTLAWL
03-02-2007, 10:13 PM
Save the $ for Peanut,Vasher,Briggs,Tommie,Berrian etc..

Most of these guys cashing in are incredibly over rated.

Stienbach is a great guard, but not worth that money. Rube really wants to be here and will accept a reasonable contract.

KBear
03-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Stienbach is a great guard, but not worth that money.

I think some teams/people still think he can play tackle or even center. I dont think he can be any better the slightly above average at those positions.

Addict
03-05-2007, 07:13 AM
Save the $ for Peanut,Vasher,Briggs,Tommie,Berrian etc..

Most of these guys cashing in are incredibly over rated.

Stienbach is a great guard, but not worth that money. Rube really wants to be here and will accept a reasonable contract.

You are absolutely right. Sit on the space we have, don't spend it on a weak (yet overrated) FA class, and make sure we can re-sign the important guys.

Briggs might be a problem though, he's really ticked off about that tag.

KBear
03-05-2007, 11:35 AM
I dont think there are going to be that good of FAs for a while now. With the cap space increasing like it is, it will allow more teams to sign their own players. So I really dont see this massive overpaying for players is going to stop any time soon. Then again, its just going to be more expensive to sign the teams own free agents based on what the FA players are going to get.

I can easily see more teams going with the team building philosophy of building through the draft vs. what the Redskins have done in recent years. At least until these contracts catches up with them.

Addict
03-05-2007, 01:29 PM
I dont think there are going to be that good of FAs for a while now. With the cap space increasing like it is, it will allow more teams to sign their own players. So I really dont see this massive overpaying for players is going to stop any time soon. Then again, its just going to be more expensive to sign the teams own free agents based on what the FA players are going to get.

I can easily see more teams going with the team building philosophy of building through the draft vs. what the Redskins have done in recent years. At least until these contracts catches up with them.

This is going to be sooo much like my madden franchise before I figured out how to beat the cap. You've got a good team, then suddenly the contracts go up more than the cap and you find yourself cutting players who are really really good because you can't afford them anymore.

I'll stop talking about the game now and move back to reality: these FA contracts are going to be a huge burden on these teams' salary caps in a few years. And the catchup should be happening quite fast.

KBear
03-05-2007, 03:48 PM
This is going to be sooo much like my madden franchise before I figured out how to beat the cap. You've got a good team, then suddenly the contracts go up more than the cap and you find yourself cutting players who are really really good because you can't afford them anymore.

I'll stop talking about the game now and move back to reality: these FA contracts are going to be a huge burden on these teams' salary caps in a few years. And the catchup should be happening quite fast.

I started thinking about that half way through my post. But if teams can get clever, and word the contract to the point where they can still cut the player without causing too much dead cap space it might take a little longer.

The NFL should consider putting some type of cap on the contracts to prevent these from getting out of hand.