PDA

View Full Version : DE/OLB Jerry Hughes TCU

Big_Pete
10-29-2008, 06:32 PM
There are alot of quality junior DE/OLBs around. But one guy no-one seems to be talking about is TCUs Jerry Hughes. He is having a great season.

his stats this season:

9 Games Played, 36 tackles (22 solo, 14 assist), 15.0 TFL (95 yds)12.0 sacks (89 yards), 2 Int (32 yds), 3 FR (0 yds), 4 FF

How does he rate as a prospect if he declares for the 2009 draft?

He is somewhere around 6-2, 250, 4.65. Currently he plays DE, but would likely shift to OLB in the NFL

STARHEATHER
10-29-2008, 07:25 PM
looks pretty interesting. how did he perform vs oklahoma?

SuperKevin
10-29-2008, 07:39 PM
There comes a point when you start wondering if it's the coaching and scheme. I mean Chase Ortiz and Tommy Blake looked promising at once for TCU also and neither translated to the NFL

Paranoidmoonduck
10-29-2008, 08:22 PM
There comes a point when you start wondering if it's the coaching and scheme. I mean Chase Ortiz and Tommy Blake looked promising at once for TCU also and neither translated to the NFL

While it's probably two early to write the book on either, I think that Blake's career prospects look disparaging for reason other than talent and Ortiz was never the athlete (or even really the player) than Blake was.

I think one can't help but be intruiged with Hughes. He's quick off the line and physically has what you look for (long arms, strong lower body). I don't catch nearly enough TCU football to have much more than an initial impression of the guy, but there's something there to warrant keeping track of.

STARHEATHER
10-29-2008, 10:07 PM
i just watched vs colo st and i cant say that i liked what i saw/ he only beat the tackle once really that i saw. he had 4 penalties, although his personal fouls probably wouldnt have been in the nfl. he quits on some plays. not very loose hipped or athletic. kind of stiff. didnt have much in the way of pass rucsh moves. tried a spin move didnt work well. not a freakish athlete for the position. didnt do much against the run. ok. not getting owned but not making plays either. i dont see all that much. maybe a late rds pick if he can play st. he just doesnt have the athleticism or explosiveness to be a good 3-4 olb or de. just not a great athlete. thanks for that though i did find a lb #51 robert henson who i kind of liked. he looks a tad smallish but he was flyin around there hitting people

Number 10
12-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Watch this kid tonight people.

If he declares, he could break into the 1st round with a strong pre-draft performance.

sbh15
12-23-2008, 05:03 PM
There are more recent Hughes threads, but this is the first guy I'm really going to look at in these bowl games. I don't see Collie or Britton coming out this year, so I went ahead and skipped those. Weren't real interesting anyway.

ThePudge
12-23-2008, 05:05 PM
Be sure to watch Hughes tonight. Tremendous pass-rusher who is a very good looking 3-4 OLB or perhaps 4-3 DE if he measures taller than expected. At the worst, he is a faster Darryl Tapp. At the best, he's a Mid-Late first round player. Should create mismatches tonight due to his athleticism and pass-rushing ability.

Definitely could crack the first round mix if he does declare, but right now looks like he's in the Mid-Late 2nd Round range.

Mr. Stiller
12-23-2008, 10:45 PM
While it's probably two early to write the book on either, I think that Blake's career prospects look disparaging for reason other than talent and Ortiz was never the athlete (or even really the player) than Blake was.

I think one can't help but be intruiged with Hughes. He's quick off the line and physically has what you look for (long arms, strong lower body). I don't catch nearly enough TCU football to have much more than an initial impression of the guy, but there's something there to warrant keeping track of.

Tommy Blake failed out because he had Bi-polar issues and snapped. By the time he tried to make his come back he went from 6'3 252lbs to 6'3 298lbs.

He was down to 282lbs in the Shrine Game I believe it was.. But he still looked terribly lethargic.

If he could ever get that spark he had @ 252lbs and his athleticism... he would be insane.

Ortiz wasn't much of an athlete and I would say a lot of his success was a direct result of having Tommy Blake across from him...

Just like Matt Panfil's now.

BuckDawg23
12-23-2008, 10:47 PM
did anyone else see Hughes get interview on sportscenter and say he was for sure coming back to TCU? I know it's still not official but usually when a player says that AFTER his bowl game it's usually true.