PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Pettigrew...Best TE in this class?

LonghornsLegend
10-31-2008, 12:45 PM
What are your thoughts on him, physically I think we know he's a beast, he can block and pass catch, he was terrorizing our defense last week and potentially could become the best TE from this class.

Here's an interesting article on him:

With his 6-foot-6, 265-pound frame, athletic ability and soft hands, Pettigrew would have a future in the NFL. His brutally physical blocking makes him a likely first-round draft choice.

"I’ve had tight ends that like to catch and not block, and ones that could block, but couldn’t catch,” co-offensive coordinator Trooper Taylor said. "But I’ve never had the combination like this. Whatever NFL team takes him is gonna have them a special gem.”

In his Oct. 23 ranking of the 2009 NFL draft class, ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. ranked Pettigrew the ninth-best player overall.

Tony Pauline of SI.com projects him as the No. 16 pick, saying "Pettigrew is a complete tight end and offers immediate starting potential in the NFL.”

con't

http://www.newsok.com/pettigrew-draws-nfl-attention/article/3316693/?custom_click=lead_story_title

Paranoidmoonduck
10-31-2008, 01:59 PM
Everyone here has fallen in love with Gresham, but I still think that Pettigrew is the most impressive tight end I've seen in college football this year.

Menardo75
10-31-2008, 02:05 PM
Is'nt he going to be in jail soon?

Babylon
10-31-2008, 02:10 PM

They dont put these guys in jail or havent you noticed. I do think character will keep him out of round 1 and he probably ends up the 3rd TE taken.

princefielder28
10-31-2008, 02:12 PM
Ability and play make him a first round/top TE talent but character, especially under a Goddell NFL, makes him a risky selection.

Menardo75
10-31-2008, 02:16 PM
I never doubted his talent. I thought that I heard somewhere on another board, that he has a hearing soon and is supposed to do jail time.

CashmoneyDrew
10-31-2008, 02:28 PM
I'll take Jermaine Greasham.

Babylon
10-31-2008, 02:32 PM
I'll take Jermaine Greasham.

Me too and i'll take Coffman also.

eaglesalltheway
10-31-2008, 02:35 PM
Me too and i'll take Coffman also.

I liek all three to be honest, it is waaaay too hard for me to chose.

ElectricEye
10-31-2008, 03:13 PM
I'll take Gresham and Coffman over him. He's got an impressive all around game, but I just don't see him being much of a threat as a pass catcher at the next level. Personally, that's the type of guy I like at the tight end position. He's going to be a really, really useful player at the next level though...I just don't think he's more valuable than Gresham and Coffman.

P-L
10-31-2008, 03:27 PM
I really, really like Pettigrew. However, I still like Jermaine Gresham more.

asmitty45
10-31-2008, 04:07 PM
If you've got an offense that utilizes a TE and are wiling to accept the personal issues Pettigrew is at least as good as Gresham. I think he could go in the 1st, especially after his combine, which will surely be very impressive.

keylime_5
10-31-2008, 04:55 PM
he and gresham are far and away top 2 for me. The tight ends who can't block but can catch aren't as in vogue as they were.

Big_Pete
10-31-2008, 05:06 PM
Physically there isn't too much between Gresham and Pettigrew

but you have to include character and that hurts Pettigrew alot. Remember for an NFL team this is a business decision.

At this point in time Pettigrew just reminds me a little too much of Jerramy Stevens, whether he can turn it around or not remains to be seen, but he has alot of ground to make up.

The way I see it Gresham is the clear #1 with Pettigrew and Jared Cook (if he comes out) fighting for #2.

Babylon
10-31-2008, 05:22 PM
he and gresham are far and away top 2 for me. The tight ends who can't block but can catch aren't as in vogue as they were.

Kellen Winslow, Chris Cooley and Antonio Gates might disagree.

Vikes99ej
10-31-2008, 05:29 PM

What did he do?

keylime_5
10-31-2008, 05:35 PM
Kellen Winslow, Chris Cooley and Antonio Gates might disagree.

Winslow is on thin ice and the Browns are 2-0 without him this year. Cooley and Gates can block better than Coffman.

CashmoneyDrew
10-31-2008, 05:35 PM
What did he do?

Whooped a cops ass I think.

CashmoneyDrew
10-31-2008, 05:37 PM
Winslow is on thin ice and the Browns are 2-0 without him this year. Cooley and Gates can block better than Coffman.

But could they block that much better than him when they first came into the league, or have they worked on it since they got in the pros?

STARHEATHER
10-31-2008, 06:38 PM
one of the better blocking te s ive seen. hes a good athlete and solid pass catcher. he and gresham are neck and neck. theyre almost like identitical twins. greshams a little better in the pass game. pettigrew al little better in the blocking area. but they can each do both better than average. he has that little thing hanging over him that may push gresham a little ahead. but maybe not. i would be happy with either so id say they are both the best te in this class and probably the best two prospects at the position in quite a few years

Babylon
10-31-2008, 06:38 PM
But could they block that much better than him when they first came into the league, or have they worked on it since they got in the pros?

Good point, everyone is capable of blocking with coaching and effort. I wouldnt not draft a guy because he doesnt block at the college level especially when he's not asked to block.

Menardo75
10-31-2008, 07:12 PM
I think Greshem is the best TE. This is a very good class of TE's though.

jth1331
10-31-2008, 07:20 PM
Gresham still might not come out though, he is an underclassman.

That said, I think Kiper is getting paid to have Pettigrew that high on his ranking.

ElectricEye
10-31-2008, 08:50 PM
Gresham will test a lot faster and I think he really is a couple of steps quicker than Pettigrew. He's also a much more natural receiver. Better hands as well, runs better routes, is used to be thrown to, ect.

renegade
10-31-2008, 08:54 PM
From what I've seen he is pretty slow.

My TE Rankings are these:
1. Gresham
2. Pettigrew
3. Coffman

Race for the Heisman
10-31-2008, 09:45 PM
He's my third tight end, mainly because of character issues, but also because he's a bit more traditional. I think in this draft that means he's still a second rounder at the minimum.

LonghornsLegend
10-31-2008, 10:16 PM
He's my third tight end, mainly because of character issues, but also because he's a bit more traditional. I think in this draft that means he's still a second rounder at the minimum.
"traditional" could be a good thing in the right offense, you could say Jason Witten is more traditional also, same with Tony Gonzalez, it would just depend on the type of fit and offense he was put into.

ElectricEye
10-31-2008, 10:50 PM
He would pretty much be a useful player for anyone. I just don't see him stretching the seam like the great guys do. He's more Daniel Graham than Jason Witten, IMO.

CroomDawgs
11-01-2008, 02:01 AM
Whooped a cops ass I think.

Dayum, what a dunce.

Race for the Heisman
11-01-2008, 01:33 PM
"traditional" could be a good thing in the right offense, you could say Jason Witten is more traditional also, same with Tony Gonzalez, it would just depend on the type of fit and offense he was put into.

True, I'm not saying it a bad thing in terms of his panning out as a prospect, merely that it is not great for his stock. I think it does give him a somewhat lower ceiling but that is not to say it still isn't quite high.