PDA

View Full Version : Pack release All-Time Sack Leader KGB!

thebow305
11-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Per NFL.com:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80c1e3d7&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

The move was made Saturday to free space to activate DT Justin Harrell.

thebow305
11-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Wow, I know he hasn't been very productive this year, but this is shocking to me to say the least!

terribletowel39
11-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Why didn't you include the second post in with the first post??

This is surprising. I wonder who will pick him up.

holt_bruce81
11-01-2008, 12:56 PM
Wow that's surprising. He sounds like a great guy, I wish him luck on the next team he plays for.

ChezPower4
11-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Wow, I know he hasn't been very productive this year, but this is shocking to me to say the least!

Not Really he's one of the highest paid players on out team and he only played on third downs. His sack total in 7 games this year is .5. Not going to get it done.

thebow305
11-01-2008, 12:58 PM
Why didn't you include the second post in with the first post??

This is surprising. I wonder who will pick him up.

The Chiefs, Lions, and Bengals could all use him. But then again, they could use anyone.

Number 10
11-01-2008, 01:14 PM
I want to see Harell in action, looking forward to it. The selection puzzled me a couple years ago.

PACKmanN
11-01-2008, 01:18 PM
whats so shocking? he's old, getting paid 5 million and *****...

and i will laugh at who ever signs him. He too slow for a 3-4 OLB and too weak as a 4-3 DE.

jackalope
11-01-2008, 01:52 PM
I can't say I was expecting this mid-season, but nobody should be too shocked. I'm glad to see how classy KGB was in leaving. He was a good guy, just didn't produce since Sherman gave him a huge contract.

steelersfan43
11-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Interesting, hes a weirdo, I wouldnt want him on my team. Keep your Crazy religion to yourself bud.

Bruce Banner
11-01-2008, 02:02 PM
I'd take him as a situational pass rusher. No doubt.

Sure he is getting older but he can still make an impact.

diabsoule
11-01-2008, 02:04 PM
With looming suspensions probably coming for Charles Grant and Will Smith, I wouldn't be surprised if the Saints take a hard look at him

WMD
11-01-2008, 02:07 PM
I doubt KGB goes to a real bad team like the Lions/Bengals/Chiefs. I say he goes to an NFC East team.. or perhaps the Saints!

ATLDirtyBirds
11-01-2008, 02:20 PM

Sure he is getting older but he can still make an impact.

Bingo. I'd hope the Falcons bring him in. If Anderson sucks, we can slide Anderson inside, and have KGB pass rush on 3rd downs. Or he can just back up Abraham.

Bruce Banner
11-01-2008, 02:23 PM
Bingo. I'd hope the Falcons bring him in. If Anderson sucks, we can slide Anderson inside, and have KGB pass rush on 3rd downs. Or he can just back up Abraham.

I would not want to face a front consisting of KDG, Abraham, and Anderson on third down.

ATLDirtyBirds
11-01-2008, 02:29 PM
I would not want to face a front consisting of KDG, Abraham, and Anderson on third down.

Not to mention, Jonathan Babineaux. While his name may not strike fear into your heart with only 1 sack, he has a TON of TFL's this season, and is usually good a pushing the pocket. It'd be a real good scenario for us. Plus with our new strategy of giving Abraham a few more plays off, it'd be nice to add a pass rusher of somewhat similar abilities.

Bruce Banner
11-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Not to mention, Jonathan Babineaux. While his name may not strike fear into your heart with only 1 sack, he has a TON of TFL's this season, and is usually good a pushing the pocket. It'd be a real good scenario for us. Plus with our new strategy of giving Abraham a few more plays off, it'd be nice to add a pass rusher of somewhat similar abilities.

I knew about him, I just didn't know how to spell his name!

PackerLegend
11-01-2008, 02:35 PM
Not Really he's one of the highest paid players on out team and he only played on third downs. His sack total in 7 games this year is .5. Not going to get it done.

Correction.... After Favre was traded KGB was our highest paid player... counting around 7 million. Chad Clifton and Charles Woodson are the next 2 highest. I think with Rodgers new deal he is our new highest.

Flyboy
11-01-2008, 02:40 PM
With looming suspensions probably coming for Charles Grant and Will Smith, I wouldn't be surprised if the Saints take a hard look at him

Damn, took the words right from me.

SaintsMan
11-01-2008, 02:54 PM
I would love for the Saints to sign him. On some passing downs, we could go with....

RE, Will Smith
DT, Sedrick Ellis
DT, Charles Grant
LE, KGB

And have DE, Bobby McCray come in as a blitzing LB.

Or.

RE, Will Smith
DT, KGB
DT, Charles Grant
LE, Bobby McCray

bearsfan_51
11-01-2008, 02:56 PM
Isn't Cullen Jenkins out for the year already? Who is playing the other DE spot?

Mr.Regular
11-01-2008, 03:41 PM
Isn't Cullen Jenkins out for the year already? Who is playing the other DE spot?
Its been Jeremy Thompson mostly.

tjsunstein
11-01-2008, 03:47 PM
Another awesome move by Ted Thompson to make the move this year as for taking the cap hit rather than next year. This counts against our 2008 cap now, in which we have some to spend, rather than 2009. I expect a relatively big free agent to come in this offseason for the Packers.

Menardo75
11-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Did not see this coming. I will trust that the Packers know what they are doing though.

PACKmanN
11-01-2008, 04:11 PM
I would love for the Saints to sign him. On some passing downs, we could go with....

RE, Will Smith
DT, Sedrick Ellis
DT, Charles Grant
LE, KGB

Or.

RE, Will Smith
DT, KGB
DT, Charles Grant
LE, Bobby McCray
Ok repost, misread it :)
He an older version of Freely, only had one move and speed, now he has no speed and still one move. He has injury problems as well this year. He will be in the Packers Hall of Fame, but I don't see him playing again unless someone like the Bucs or Colts sign him for the playoffs and if he decides to play for veteran minimum.

captainjack27
11-01-2008, 04:32 PM

RE, Will Smith
DT, Sedrick Ellis
DT, Charles Grant
LE, KGB

Or.

RE, Will Smith
DT, KGB
DT, Charles Grant
LE, Bobby McCray

KGB would be oblitterated if he were a DT

TitleTown088
11-01-2008, 05:13 PM
Not surprising one bit. No production lately and making way too much money. Thanks Sherman. Stick a form in him, he's done.

CC.SD
11-01-2008, 05:39 PM
Chargers have zero pass rush. Hope they take a look at him.

TitleTown088
11-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Chargers have zero pass rush. Hope they take a look at him.

A guy who hasn't provided pressure all year long isn't going to help that. 1/2 sack his season dude.

11-01-2008, 06:39 PM
A guy who hasn't provided pressure all year long isn't going to help that. 1/2 sack his season dude.

A change of scenery can always do some good. But yeah, I think he's clearly on the downside of his career.

Caddy
11-01-2008, 06:53 PM
I'm not shocked at all. KGB has been pretty bad the last few seasons. I say he is done being a consistent threat.

EvilMonkey
11-01-2008, 07:12 PM
KGB has always been 1 of my favorite packers and it has really pained me to see his decline the last few years. Hate saying it but he was pretty much garbage most of the year. Can easily see he's lost his burst and cant get it done anymore. I love the guy but I really don't see him producing anywhere else, kinda like a Simeon Rice situation. Teams will look at him and I'd be thrilled if he can produce again somewhere else, but he's done IMO.

barreh
11-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Interesting, hes a weirdo, I wouldnt want him on my team. Keep your Crazy religion to yourself bud.what religion is that?

Twiddler
11-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Interesting, hes a weirdo, I wouldnt want him on my team. Keep your Crazy religion to yourself bud.

Huh, this is quite the interesting comment. Not really sure what you meant by it.

But for KGB, sad to see him go, but it definitely wasn't a surprise.

tjsunstein
11-01-2008, 08:08 PM
Yeah lol what religion is that? He was Muslim at SDSU but he converted to Christianity while with Green Bay.. Now I dont wanna turn this into a religion discussion because football is the only religion I know well but I'm really curious what religion KGB was that was weird.

Staubach12
11-01-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm am not even believing this... Wow.

I wonder who goes after him...

Staubach12
11-01-2008, 08:46 PM

The ignorance spews.

GB12
11-01-2008, 10:11 PM

Sure he is getting older but he can still make an impact.I think it's pretty funny how people keep saying things like this. That's the reason we cut him, because he couldn't get any pass rush. Yet fans of other teams want to sign him for that purpose. If he was still as good of a pass rusher as you're thinking we wouldn't have cut him.

KGB's playing time really didn't increase after Jenkins went down. Some sort of rotation of Jason Hunter, Mike Montgomery, Jeremy Thompson, and Kenny Petway will be opposite Kampman.

johbur
11-01-2008, 10:21 PM
KGB had 9 sacks up around the 10th game of the year or so and was doing very well in the 3rd down rusher role. Then he got hurt, and had .5 sacks the rest of the year and .5 sacks this year.

He leaves as the Packers' all-time rusher behind Reggie White, and probably would have had a longer career if Sherman didn't play him on 90-95% of the snaps. McCarthy had cut him back once Ted brought in some help and with the 9 sacks behind Cullen Jenkins last year, he was very effective. I think his body was too worn down from being a 240 pound DE playing so many snaps and just being a DE in the NFL for nine years.

Good luck KGB, "crazy religion" (He's an evangelical Christian. Yeah, like, that is so, like, weird, like, and stuff.) and all.

EvilMonkey
11-02-2008, 02:57 AM
I think it's pretty funny how people keep saying things like this. That's the reason we cut him, because he couldn't get any pass rush. Yet fans of other teams want to sign him for that purpose. If he was still as good of a pass rusher as you're thinking we wouldn't have cut him.

KGB's playing time really didn't increase after Jenkins went down. Some sort of rotation of Jason Hunter, Mike Montgomery, Jeremy Thompson, and Kenny Petway will be opposite Kampman.

yeah, he was basically a situational pass-rusher most of the last 3 years and his decline was very noticeable. Just because he used to be good doesnt mean he'll be able to just sign somewhere and return to form.

KGB right now = Simeon Rice last year

Sportsfan486
11-02-2008, 05:03 AM
yeah, he was basically a situational pass-rusher most of the last 3 years and his decline was very noticeable. Just because he used to be good doesnt mean he'll be able to just sign somewhere and return to form.

KGB right now = Simeon Rice last year

Yeah... he got injured last year and hasn't been the same since. Even before that he was never a full-time DE (or never SHOULD have been) and he is a major problem in the defensive run game.

Sorry to see him go, even moreso with how classy he's being about it. He had some really good years for us and you have to appreciate that!

awfullyquiet
11-02-2008, 10:07 AM
i agree with most, he's on the downside of his career, but that doesn't mean he's still totally unproductive... i think that there's some team out there who could REALLY use at least someone as dependable as him.

Twiddler
11-02-2008, 10:14 AM
i agree with most, he's on the downside of his career, but that doesn't mean he's still totally unproductive... i think that there's some team out there who could REALLY use at least someone as dependable as him.

Yeah, as someone mentioned earlier, maybe a change of scenery would really do him good. But I still wouldn't expect anything great, he's on the downside of his career and it isn't getting any better any time soon.

TimD
11-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Jets should pick him up to teach Gholston how to be a one dimensional player. oh wait

GB12
11-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Jets should pick him up to teach Gholston how to be a one dimensional player. oh wait
He'd fit in nicely with Favre and Franks as old players the Packers didn't want.

P-L
11-02-2008, 02:33 PM
It beats the non-dimensional player that he's been this year...

PACKmanN
11-02-2008, 02:45 PM
He'd fit in nicely with Favre and Franks as old players the Packers didn't want.

He could also fit nicely with Sharper, Longwell, and Ferguson in Minnesota lol.