PDA

View Full Version : underclass RBs

foozball
11-01-2008, 01:42 PM
With a pretty weak senior class of RBs, which of the top underclass RBs do you think are most likely to declare

Beanie Wells- rated by many as the #1 RB

Knowshon Moreno- has had 2 very productive years in the SEC and has had the national spotlight on him which helps keep his stock high.

Lesean McCoy- like Moreno, has had 2 very productive years.

Donald Brown- 3 straight years of productivity with a huge year this year. good size/speed...would staying really help his stock that much more?

PJ Hill- like brown, 3 years of productivity. same question...would staying 1 more year and putting up the same numbers really help his stock?

Shonn Greene- already 23, but is having a huge year. no track record though. does his age play a factor in him declaring early?

CJ Spiller- coaching change and has everyone leaving...but he could finally be the #1 RB if he stayed.

PACKmanN
11-01-2008, 01:49 PM
Wells, Spliiler, Greene, and McCoy are my guys. Moreno stays back.

CashmoneyDrew
11-01-2008, 01:59 PM
Moreno is my favorite of the bunch, but the Titans don't need a running back so I really don't care if he declares or not.

AkiliSmith
11-01-2008, 01:59 PM
I could see LeGarrette Blount of Oregon declare. He has good size, 6'2 240, and is a tremendous athlete. He will also be 23 on draft day next year. He would probably be in the 2nd or 3rd round mix. Seems similar to Brandon Jacobs.

2008 stats: 90 carries, 650 yards, 7.2 yards per carry, 12 touchdowns

Solomon
11-01-2008, 02:41 PM
I could see LeGarrette Blount of Oregon declare. He has good size, 6'2 240, and is a tremendous athlete. He will also be 23 on draft day next year. He would probably be in the 2nd or 3rd round mix. Seems similar to Brandon Jacobs.

2008 stats: 90 carries, 650 yards, 7.2 yards per carry, 12 touchdowns

There are many possible RB prospects this year who are big and powerful. Chris Wells, Charles Scott, Shonn Greene, PJ Hill, Rashad Jennings and LeGarrette Blount all have great size and terrific athleticism. It'll be interesting which ones show the wiggle and burst to rise to the top of the class and which ones become late round selections.

ElectricEye
11-01-2008, 09:12 PM
McCoy is starting to really dominate games. He's been close to or over 150 yards rushing in five straight games. He's scored ten touchdowns in that time frame as well. He's doing it against stronger competition than he had in his early bad games this year. The biggest games are still ahead on the schedule. He's really put Pitt on his back in the past month or so and is giving them a legitimate shot at winning the Big East. If he continues playing the way he has been, he just might do it. Kinda cementing his status as a first round pick for me. I'm not sure if I would take a runningback in this class over McCoy right now. Probably tad exaggeration, as Wells clearly has more talent, but still.

asmitty45
11-02-2008, 10:00 AM
I think spiller declares b/c of the coaching change and i think he'll test out pretty well at the combine.

He could be the first RB off the board if Wells, Moreno and McCoy all stay at school, but i think McCoy comes out, Moreno and Wells will stay IMO

Babylon
11-02-2008, 11:55 AM
Like McCoy better than Moreno, stronger runner.

Pokeys
11-02-2008, 06:32 PM
No way an injury prone Wells stays.

ElectricEye
11-02-2008, 08:22 PM
Yeah, I don't see any way Wells stays...and I really don't see any way he isn't the first back taken. When he's good, he looks REALLY good. I would still put the smart money on McCoy to end up being more productive though.

Mr. Stiller
11-03-2008, 02:07 AM
McCoy is starting to really dominate games. He's been close to or over 150 yards rushing in five straight games. He's scored ten touchdowns in that time frame as well. He's doing it against stronger competition than he had in his early bad games this year. The biggest games are still ahead on the schedule. He's really put Pitt on his back in the past month or so and is giving them a legitimate shot at winning the Big East. If he continues playing the way he has been, he just might do it. Kinda cementing his status as a first round pick for me. I'm not sure if I would take a runningback in this class over McCoy right now. Probably tad exaggeration, as Wells clearly has more talent, but still.

Well lets be fair here... McCoy doesn't have nearly the talent that wells does around him...

McCoy has to overcome no passing game, a weak OL, and Matt Cavanaugh/Dave Wannstadt's Play calling.

I'm a huge McCoy fan as I think he's very underrated in terms of Draft Stock. Not saying he's a top 5 quality pick, but I certainly think he offers more to his team than Wells and the myriad of other guys. His only competition is Moreno and at least Moreno has quality WR/QB and he's struggling with a bad offensive line.

SenorGato
11-03-2008, 03:41 AM

Seriously...he's nasty. The best part is he can put on weight without really killing his strengths.

He's like a taller DeAngelo Williams.

eaglesalltheway
11-03-2008, 07:14 AM
I haven't seen one single Pitt game this year, and from what you guys are saying about McCoy I really should start.

Wells is a monster, and I am a big fan of his, despite him going to the scurge that is OSU. I think he has a great future in the NFL and could be one of those consistently very good backs in the NFL. I don't think he will ever lead the league in rushing yards, but he sure will be a good RB for whoever gets him.

katnip
11-03-2008, 09:37 PM
Isn't Demarco Murray able to jump (Redshirt?)? Too me he's the most explosive when healthy. But in reality 2 me... McCoy > Murray... size

stephenson86
11-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Moreno is my favorite of the bunch, but the Titans don't need a running back so I really don't care if he declares or not.

you never know...

ElectricEye
11-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Isn't Demarco Murray able to jump (Redshirt?)? Too me he's the most explosive when healthy. But in reality 2 me... McCoy > Murray... size

Every time I watch DeMarco Murray I really don't think I'm going to like him, but he's showing some stuff. It's still too early with him though and there's a couple question hanging over him. He would be very smart to stay next year, even if he's still going to be splitting carries.

Solomon
11-03-2008, 11:30 PM
Like McCoy better than Moreno, stronger runner.

I really like McCoy, always have but I don't see him as a stronger runner. He is really fast and can sidestep, turn the corner and accelerate better than almost any runner in this class but he doesn't run as hard as I would like to see. He dances before going into contact as opposed to putting his head down and trying to plow for an extra yard or two. That being said I think McCoy is a better prospect than Moreno.

giantsfan
11-04-2008, 12:19 AM
Wells and Moreno or sure fire first rounders, McCoy will go in the late first or early second and Spiller will either go in the late first or mid second and as the worst of the worst can't afford to spend an early second rounder on a part time playmaker RB.

gator3guy
11-04-2008, 12:46 AM
I love McCoy. Kids explosive plain and simple. Just needs to add weight to that frame of his which is prototypical.

Since Shonn Greene is from my hometown I've been following the kid closely. He's always performed well when he's on the field. He's not flashy but the kid is consistent. Just look at his numbers: game by game. He's pretty much guaranteed a 100+ and a touchdown. He's having a great season. As someone said, going to prep school for 2 years makes him a 23 year old JR. I could definitely see him using this season to catapult himself in the 3rd round range. I don't know the kids speed for sure but I would probably say its 4.5. But being 235 is certainly good enough measurables. I dont think he'll be the best, but I don't think he will hurt a team on the field either.

Kids such a tough runner. Reminds me of a thicker Marshawn Lynch with less explosion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrWZwH9VVJU

tjsunstein
11-04-2008, 12:49 AM
McCoy is a surefire, no doubt. But don't sleep on Donald Brown though. I like this kid.

ElectricEye
11-04-2008, 01:14 AM
Donald Brown is an interesting guy to keep an eye on. He has a kind of interesting running style. Very quick feet, short choppy steps. Moves laterally very well too. I wouldn't peg him as a surefire top 60 guy if he were to come out, but he would certainly get the Forte/Kevin Smith type grade.

Pokeys
12-01-2008, 08:24 PM
LeGarrette Blount... this guy is nasty, hes a Junior. Much better than Jeremiah Johnson but doesn't see a ton of carries. I don't see how he grades out to be anything but a first round pick. Physical runner.

giantsfan
12-01-2008, 09:18 PM
I love McCoy. Kids explosive plain and simple. Just needs to add weight to that frame of his which is prototypical.

Since Shonn Greene is from my hometown I've been following the kid closely. He's always performed well when he's on the field. He's not flashy but the kid is consistent. Just look at his numbers: game by game. He's pretty much guaranteed a 100+ and a touchdown. He's having a great season. As someone said, going to prep school for 2 years makes him a 23 year old JR. I could definitely see him using this season to catapult himself in the 3rd round range. I don't know the kids speed for sure but I would probably say its 4.5. But being 235 is certainly good enough measurables. I dont think he'll be the best, but I don't think he will hurt a team on the field either.

Kids such a tough runner. Reminds me of a thicker Marshawn Lynch with less explosion: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrWZwH9VVJU

Yeah but Marshawn moves his feet so much faster, that's what stands out most with marshawn lynch, he just moves his feet faster than the other players on the field and that lets him cut on a dime and keep pushing.

wwright
12-02-2008, 09:33 PM
Just a quick FYI on Spiller, he was quoted that if Dabo Swinney was named head coach, it was 100% that he'd return.

Dabo is now head coach.
Does that mean he'll return? Not at all, but it has to help a little.

Mr. Stiller
12-02-2008, 10:45 PM
Wells, Spliiler, Greene, and McCoy are my guys. Moreno stays back.

I'd switch McCoy and Moreno.

I have a friend that works with Pitt and McCoy isn't really interested in jumping just yet.

A friend from Georgia (Used to work in their athletics) Has told me Stafford and Moreno are gone.

Race for the Heisman
12-03-2008, 09:46 AM
Donald Brown is an interesting guy to keep an eye on. He has a kind of interesting running style. Very quick feet, short choppy steps. Moves laterally very well too. I wouldn't peg him as a surefire top 60 guy if he were to come out, but he would certainly get the Forte/Kevin Smith type grade.

The way he runs reminds me of Joseph Addai. He kind of bobs his shoulders and runs a little wide until he's got a seam and then takes off, although I don't think Brown is quite as a explosive as Addai.