PDA

View Full Version : Week 9: Jacksonville

PalmerToCJ
11-01-2008, 02:03 PM
This is our week guys!

OUT: WR Andre Caldwell (foot), S Dexter Jackson (hamstring), QB Carson Palmer (right elbow), WR Jerome Simpson (ankle)

QUESTIONABLE: LB Rashad Jeanty (foot)

PROBABLE: DE Jonathan Fanene (hamstring), CB Jamar Fletcher (hamstring), WR Glenn Holt (chest), WR Chad Johnson (foot), TE Reggie Kelly (neck), LB Corey Mays (ankle), S Nedu Ndukwe (ribs), DT Domata Peko (ankle), TE Ben Utecht (chest)

Dexter Jackson to IR, I hope the guy is alright but anything to keep Chinny on the field.

I could only listen to last weeks game and barely got to see the Steelers game, I'll actually get to watch this one. I'd like to see how Pat Sims does, I've been hearing good things about him which would be HUGE for next year.

Bengals78
11-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Sims has been a force lately he always seems to collapse his side of the inside. With more playing time he could be what we have dreamed of for years.

Bengals78
11-01-2008, 03:59 PM
And I will also add, I think we should look at KGB. He was released and some Pass Rushing help would be nice

Bengalsrocket
11-02-2008, 05:40 AM
No thanks on KGB if you ask me. A situational pass rusher would be nice for this team, but I doubt KGB would be of much help (from what I've seen of him lately).

I was going to make a long post in the draft thread about DE's and this team, but I got tired of writing it so I gave up. Essentially though, we're in a bad spot right now - Odom and Geathers will both need a force in the middle stronger than the Peko / Thorton combination to produce consistent sacks. Pat Sims absolutely has to step up in a big way for us, or else we need to draft a DT early next year.

Also, Rucker and Fanene have been good depth when giving a chance to prove themselves. I don't think dropping either of them for KGB would help us produce more wins.

So either Pat Sims needs to develop quickly or we need to draft a DT, either way KGB doesn't fit into the equation from what I can see.

PalmerToCJ
11-02-2008, 02:38 PM
Pat Sims is a MAN!

The DE's look better this game. Secondary is solid as usual. This is what this team can do with an adequate offense.

Bengals1690
11-02-2008, 03:07 PM
Omg It Actually Happened!!

StripedWalrus
11-02-2008, 03:42 PM
Pat Sims is a MAN!

The DE's look better this game. Secondary is solid as usual. This is what this team can do with an adequate offense.

Pat Sims was amazing! He was on David Garrard all day. The game wouldnt even have been close if it wasnt for Glenn Holt and his fumble.

PalmerToCJ
11-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Seriously, I kept thinking "wow the Dline looks good"... Then I realized that it was mostly Sims getting massive penetration almost every play. He was blowing up the Oline and the DE's were able to find ways to Garrard. If he could maintain that level he makes our defense above average next year, IMO. Peko is solid and does what he needs to do but Sims provides the pass rush that we've been so desperate for from the inside.

The offense was as good as it needs to be with the way our defense has played. They sustained some nice drives, too bad this is the first game they could consistently get any kind of yardage.

I've gotta say, I'm pretty pumped about our defense for next season.

StripedWalrus
11-02-2008, 04:21 PM
anyone knows what was up on that play where whitworth and the Jacksonville got in a fight? We caught the ball for a first down...they got an illegal use of hands call and we declined and Whitworth and the other guy were suspended. But the play went to a 4th down? I was confused on that.

PalmerToCJ
11-02-2008, 04:48 PM
They did one more play I believe, it was an incomplete pass... Then they punted.

CincinnatiBengals15
11-02-2008, 05:35 PM
They proved me wrong they are not going to go 0-16
Few things on the game today

People say D-Line looked better it did but u have to relize they were playing a banged up Jags O-Line

Secondary Looked better this week

Fitzpatrick is starting to play alot better starting to make less and less bad throws

If Cedrick plays like he did the rest of the season the bengals wont need to draft a RB in first couple rounds but should still try to draft one late

Bengals78
11-02-2008, 06:25 PM
People say D-Line looked better it did but u have to relize they were playing a banged up Jags O-Line

They have looked decent all year. This was Pat Sims coming out game. I think he will continue the trend. I realize that the Jags OLine isnt the best but it isnt garbage either.

The Unseen
11-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Congrats on the first win guys. Question: is this the first game Fitzpatrick has played well or has he shown "promise" with the Bengals before?

PalmerToCJ
11-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Yes, other than in the preseason (we all know how that goes) this is the first one that he actually showed some amount of potential for managing a game. I'm pretty sure this is the first game that he hasn't lost a fumble as well.

Granted, he actually had a running game which helps a lot but he seemed to generally make decent decisions void of 2 or 3 passes. It was painful to see him overthrow CJ on that one pass, Carson completes that every time.

Has your Oline been doing well recently? Our rookie Pat Sims looked amazing out there but I wasn't sure if you all were having issues or not.

themaninblack
11-02-2008, 10:14 PM
WOW, they looked really good today. This is what this team is capable of when they decide to show up and they did it with a back up QB. Pat Sims continues to improve with more PT and he was reeking havoc all game. I understand they had a banged up line but the guy has been impressive ever since he has gotten a chance to prove himself.

Defense in general was pretty solid today and if we had CP I think we woulda got a few more scores. Fitz looked pretty good but missed a few wide open attempts. Ceddy B is playing with an enthusiasm that has been missing ever since he was drafted. I like the guy and he kind of reminds me of a younger Rudi. Here's to him staying out of trouble and starting to show what made him a top draft pick!

Wish I didn't have to work today or I woulda been at the game.

Oh and Andrew Whitworth is a bad ass. It was nice to see this team play with some fight in them(literally) on both sides of the ball. Maybe I was wrong about Marvin losing this team. Now lets see if we can continue this type of play and make this season somewhat worthwhile.

PalmerToCJ
11-03-2008, 12:03 AM
After this one I'm fairly confident to take what we've got on defense into next season.

Now it would seem it's just about getting a Center and OT, then letting the young defense get one year better. You can't convince me that wasn't an above average defense out there today and that's generally what we've seen all season (less the pass rush of course).

BengalMedic
11-03-2008, 07:21 AM
I LOVED SEEING WHITWORTH GO AT IT !!!

Fitzpatrick looked better out there and didn't make HUGE mistakes. I like his mobility and speed. How about Benson rushing for 100+ yards huh ?? Loved seeing that as well. Sims was a beast Sunday. Say what you want about the Jags o-line being banged up, but we aren't talking about Haynesworth blowing it up, we are talking about a 3rd round rookie. Give the kid some credit, he was an animal Sunday !!!

Anyone else like the secondary of JJoe, Hall, Ndukwe, and White ?? I know they are still young, but I sure do like the fire those guys seemed to have out there. I wonder what Zimmer did to light them up.

Put me in the camp that thinks Larson has declined steadily over the past couple years...

Bengalsrocket
11-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Fitzpatrick could be a solid starter one day. I think he struggles on some of the harder skill sets that a prototypical pocket passer should possess, but everything he's missing can be taught to him eventually.

Although I love watching Carson rip apart defenses, I have to say Fitzpatrick's mobility is a refreshing change of pace at the moment (as opposed to the stationary turret that Carson Palmer has become since the injury).

themaninblack
11-03-2008, 11:34 AM
Ya I hope that's one thing Carson can improve on for next season with his mobility. He doesn't have to be able to run like Fitz but he definitely needs to be able to do more than he has been doing with his legs. I thought one of his big strengths was being able to throw while moving around and it has seemingly been lacking ever since he was Von Oelhoffened.

hobbes2053
11-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Whitworth is a ******* man and Sims is well on his way. I didn't get to see the game but from what I heard, the defense played lights out (esp. DBs and DL) and the offense is starting to pick it up. It's great to get a W going into the bye week.
Fitz's mobility is definitely a nice change of pace for the offense. If Carson can become more mobile, then he ought to be able to come right back in without any confusion (not that there would be any, just saying).

StripedWalrus
11-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Yes, other than in the preseason (we all know how that goes) this is the first one that he actually showed some amount of potential for managing a game. I'm pretty sure this is the first game that he hasn't lost a fumble as well.

Granted, he actually had a running game which helps a lot but he seemed to generally make decent decisions void of 2 or 3 passes. It was painful to see him overthrow CJ on that one pass, Carson completes that every time.

Has your Oline been doing well recently? Our rookie Pat Sims looked amazing out there but I wasn't sure if you all were having issues or not.

That overthrow made me sad....give it time...and he will be able to throw those...he just needs more time.

Bengals78
11-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Well he better only have 8 more games at the very most

hobbes2053
11-03-2008, 02:57 PM
Well he better only have 8 more games at the very most

Truth spoken.