PDA

View Full Version : Colts Mock Draft (Nov. 1)

indyfan1985
11-01-2008, 04:57 PM
1st round- Sen'Derrick Marks, DT, Auburn(Gives us our explosive DT we've been looking for. His size is listed at 6-2, 295 pounds so he is very comparible to Tommie Harris as far as size. With some hard work, he might end up like him. This will be the closest Dungy has had to Warren Sapp in Tampa._

2nd round- DJ Moore, CB/KR, Vanderbilt(We will need help at CB since Hayden could possibly leave although I dont see him getting much money in FA. Even if we keep Hayden we will still need help at CB since Marlin has not been good and will either be moved to FS or let go once his contract is up. DJ Moore is also an outstanding KR man so we will finally have our man there.)

-Colts trade 3rd rounder and 4th rounder to move into the later part of the 2nd round.

2nd round(via trade)- Terrance Taylor, DT, Michigan(Gives us our NT to play alongside Marks at the DT spot.)

5th round- Best OL available
5th round(compensation)- Best WR available
6th round- Best LB available
6th round(compensation)- Best RB available
7th round- Best WR available

Tell me what you think and what you would fix.

Geo
11-01-2008, 05:08 PM
I think it's time to scratch off Taylor for the Colts, I'm sorry to say. As much as I was hoping he could be the player they would need, the more I see him I can't deny that he just would not be a good fit for this one-gap scheme.

I'd much rather draft (theoretically) this young NT #68 who Michigan subs for him in pass rushing situations, he offers some legit rush ability and can play the run almost as well. He's like a young Quinn Pitcock.

Geo
11-01-2008, 08:25 PM
Btw, I was working on a Colts mock myself, if you don't mind my posting it here. Kind of unsure after the second round, as can be imagined. And you guys know I like to add pics. :D

My Ideal Colts' 09 mock:

1st round: Georgia Tech DE Michael Johnson or South Florida DE George Selvie
http://vmedia.rivals.com/images/Player/video/JOHNSONM250_0729.JPGhttp://www.sptimes.com/2007/10/06/images/large/selviesack.jpg
I think the Colts have a chance at either player: Johnson because a perceived underperforming DE who doesn't tear up the Combine has a chance to fall in the first, ex. Mathias Kiwanuka in '06, Phillip Merling in '08; Selvie because his weight could easily scare off most 4-3 teams, although 3-4 teams could very well look at him as an OLB conversion. Either is a prime prospect who could add a talented young rusher to rotate with Dwight Freeney, Robert Mathis, and Marcus Howard. Hopefully giving the Colts a Justin Tuck of their own to develop and utilize, even if Raheem Brock (who served that role before Tuck actually) may have some football left. Selvie looks up to Freeney big-time, btw.

2nd round: Southern Cal DT Fili Moala
http://www.trojannyc.com/images/2008/03/08/f1_2.jpg
If Peria Jerry reaches this pick, he would certainly be considered. I would be fine with Moala here however, although some are really down on him to the point that they might consider this a reach. I like what I've seen of him this season as a one-gap tackle with a quick first step, he could be a good fit with the Colts as a player.

3rd round: Pittsburgh MLB Scott McKillop
http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/55/552928.jpg
There might be some concern about McKillop's ability to play coverage, if so that could be a big sticking point if the Colts draft him or not, but otherwise the guy has been a major producer the last two years at Pitt. Wannstache can produce some linebackers now, look no further than the Colts' own Clint Session ('07 4th round pick) as well as HB Blades for the Redskins. Another linebacker to potential consider could be Anthony Heygood of Purdue.

4th round: Ohio CB Mark Parson
http://images-cdn01.associatedcontent.com/image/A8049/80498/300_80498.jpg
Two big things going against this pick: (1) If the Colts go corner, they probably go corner in the first three rounds as they usually do; and (2) if they go corner, also judging from recent history, the player is likely to come from a school in a major conference (ex. Big Ten, SEC, Pac-10). So waiting until the 4th and getting a small school sleeper like Parson might not be likely, plus Parson is getting pub for his man coverage skills which could make him very valuable to some teams other than the Colts. Also, smaller guy Tony Carter of FSU seems to have some similarities to former 4th round pick Jason David.

4th round compensatory:
5th round:
6th round:
7th round:
Just to list the rest of the Day Two picks. Texas NT Roy Miller could be good insurance in the 5th or 6th round, he's a good fit for a one-gap defense and has a great motor at around 290-lbs. like the Colts look for. Might also add a safety, we've seen a few gems unearthed on Day Two.

RCAChainGang
11-01-2008, 08:43 PM
I would like to get Harvin. He would be filling two needs in WR and KR. I think some good kick returns could really get our team fired up.

Geo
11-01-2008, 09:04 PM
I thought TJ Rushing was doing a great job as the return man, although hopefully he can recover his full explosiveness in his return from injury. Also next year is his contract year.

As for Harvin, my main question is if he fits the Colts from the neck up (if you catch my drift). Not to say I think he does or doesn't, I don't know but my guess would probably be the latter. I doubt anyone can be thrown in the Colts offense, more likely it takes a somewhat cerebral receiver.

You could probably add Darius Heyward-Bey of Maryland to this as well, talent-wise he's got great size and speed, and can make a catch. What is very impressive is his 15 yards per average year after year, despite playing with bad quarterbacks which tells you he can do some things as a receiver.

One thing I'm somewhat worried about: I'll try to find the quote, but I remember a line from Peyton before the season where he said "they didn't go for a receiver (early) in the Draft because they all thought Marvin Harrison would be back to his old self."

Given this line, I can't help but think the Colts are going to go out of their way to try and get a new receiver, probably a speedster because they like to fill the role of the previous guy (ex. Anthony Gonzalez for Brandon Stokley). They did work out Donnie Avery last year after he ran his 4.35 or whatever at his pro day, and were interested in Eddie Royal I believe, though neither receiver reached their second round pick. They also worked out Early Doucet and Mario Manningham, and they passed on both Manningham and Andre Caldwell (ran a sub-4.4 too) in the third round.

Eh, not sure how I feel about that. I think the offense is fine with Wayne, Gonzalez, and Clark plus supporting pieces which could already be in place. That trio isn't getting enough targets as it is, because of a fourth wheel in Harrison. And Addai is getting no receptions too because of that. The Colts were still a good offense in 2007 without Harrison, why sell out for another receiver?

I hope they don't, I suppose. But maybe I need to think on it some more.

indyfan1985
11-02-2008, 05:29 PM
I think it's time to scratch off Taylor for the Colts, I'm sorry to say. As much as I was hoping he could be the player they would need, the more I see him I can't deny that he just would not be a good fit for this one-gap scheme.

I'd much rather draft (theoretically) this young NT #68 who Michigan subs for him in pass rushing situations, he offers some legit rush ability and can play the run almost as well. He's like a young Quinn Pitcock.

While I wouldnt scratch him off for the Colts, I do have someone who would probably fit the Colts system better than Taylor. I think we should try and get both DT Sen'Derrick Marks AND DT Roy Miller from Texas. Miller looks like a good DT with some size who can stop the run and penetrate into the backfield as well.

RCAChainGang
11-06-2008, 12:20 PM
I thought TJ Rushing was doing a great job as the return man, although hopefully he can recover his full explosiveness in his return from injury. Also next year is his contract year.

As for Harvin, my main question is if he fits the Colts from the neck up (if you catch my drift). Not to say I think he does or doesn't, I don't know but my guess would probably be the latter. I doubt anyone can be thrown in the Colts offense, more likely it takes a somewhat cerebral receiver.

You could probably add Darius Heyward-Bey of Maryland to this as well, talent-wise he's got great size and speed, and can make a catch. What is very impressive is his 15 yards per average year after year, despite playing with bad quarterbacks which tells you he can do some things as a receiver.

One thing I'm somewhat worried about: I'll try to find the quote, but I remember a line from Peyton before the season where he said "they didn't go for a receiver (early) in the Draft because they all thought Marvin Harrison would be back to his old self."

Given this line, I can't help but think the Colts are going to go out of their way to try and get a new receiver, probably a speedster because they like to fill the role of the previous guy (ex. Anthony Gonzalez for Brandon Stokley). They did work out Donnie Avery last year after he ran his 4.35 or whatever at his pro day, and were interested in Eddie Royal I believe, though neither receiver reached their second round pick. They also worked out Early Doucet and Mario Manningham, and they passed on both Manningham and Andre Caldwell (ran a sub-4.4 too) in the third round.

Eh, not sure how I feel about that. I think the offense is fine with Wayne, Gonzalez, and Clark plus supporting pieces which could already be in place. That trio isn't getting enough targets as it is, because of a fourth wheel in Harrison. And Addai is getting no receptions too because of that. The Colts were still a good offense in 2007 without Harrison, why sell out for another receiver?

I hope they don't, I suppose. But maybe I need to think on it some more.

Its just frustrating to see teams like New Orleans Chicago and Cleveland getting their returns for touchdowns and we aren't. Special teams is such a big part of the game and if we could get a guy that could go for 6 on some kicks it would be awesome. I don't know if T.J. can do that.

I also understand there are 10 other players on the field and it takes good coaching I just want a returner like Hester Cribbs or Reggie. Maybe I'm just dreaming.

Geo
11-06-2008, 12:29 PM
You know, I like what I see out of Garcon as a return man. He's made some good returns, seems to find a way to get the most yards he can and hasn't looked boneheaded despite being a young guy. He's kind of fearless and has a little swagger to him, I dig it.

chad72
11-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Round 1: Victor Harris of Virginia Tech, CB, great ball hawking skills, will make excellent Cover 2 corner (if Hayden leaves or Marlin Jackson goes on PUP for first 6 weeks, we need depth there plus elite DTs are probably gone if we pick later than 20 which we most likely will and we don't need an RB/WR in the first round, maybe later rounds)

Round 2: Evander Hood of Missouri, DT or Vance Walker of Georgia Tech, DT

Round 3: Xavier Fulton of Illinois at OT (very athletic, former defensive lineman, 4.9 40 and good for zone blocking) or Jamon Meredith of South Carolina at OT (very athletic as well, plays in the tough SEC)

Round 4: Maurice Crum, ILB, Notre Dame (5'11", 235 lbs, 4.7 40, I love his intensity, stayed very healthy so far, yet to miss a start in his career, shines even in losses) or Dave Philistin, ILB, Maryland (6'2", 231 lbs, 4.55 40), he played the strongside linebacker position the past few seasons, mans the middle with Erin Henderson going off to the NFL.

Round 5: Nader Abdallah of Ohio State, DT or Myron Pryor of Kentucky, DT

Round 6: Kory Sheets of Purdue at RB (6'0", 205 lbs, can run and catch and has 4.49 40 speed) or Herb Donaldson of Western Illinois at RB (5'10", 222 lbs, can run and catch and has 4.5 40 speed, reached 1000 yards within first 7 games at his school 2 years in a row)

Round 6: Compensatory pick (for Ben Utecht): Johnny Knox of Abilene Christian at WR (6'0", 183, 4.45 40) (OR) Manuel Johnson of Oklahoma at WR (6'0", 183, 4.47 40) - Prior to the Kansas game in which he suffered an arm injury, Manuel Johnson led the Sooners in receiving with 32 catches, 553 yards and eight touchdowns, his injury might affect his draft status

Round 7: Jon Copper of Virginia at ILB (6'0", 234 lbs) or Chris Evans of Auburn at OLB (6'0", 224 lbs)

Geo
11-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Nice mock, chad.

Kind of a side note, but I was wondering one day if Sheets could be converted to wide receiver. He already demands the ball more. :P

chad72
11-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Its just frustrating to see teams like New Orleans Chicago and Cleveland getting their returns for touchdowns and we aren't. Special teams is such a big part of the game and if we could get a guy that could go for 6 on some kicks it would be awesome. I don't know if T.J. can do that.

I also understand there are 10 other players on the field and it takes good coaching I just want a returner like Hester Cribbs or Reggie. Maybe I'm just dreaming.

Jacoby Ford of Clemson has 4.37 40 speed and has outstanding kick return skills, he is only 5'9" but he could be used as a speedy wideout like a Donnie Avery for the occasional big play. But knowing how the Colts draft, they would rather have a CB like Victor Harris or Darius Butler return those kickoffs.

I still think Garcon is holding back, he has 4.45 40 speed, the coaches and his inexperience have him taking what he can get instead of going at the hole hard. Knowing that you have a QB like Manning that can move the ball if the D gives him enough possessions, ball security is probably emphasized when a rookie returns kickoffs. At least we are consistently starting at the 30-35 yard line most of the time, something we could not say before.