PDA

View Full Version : Rylan Reed?

Smokey Joe
11-02-2008, 11:02 AM
What are the thoughts on this guy? He has a very interesting back story, once being a minor league pitcher for the white sox, and then surviving cancer. He is a lot older than the average draftee, being around 27 come draft day, but he is a massive man at 6'7", 310, and being able to bench 625 lbs. I haven't seen much of him, but I focused on the matchup of him and Orakpo last night, and he fared pretty damn well against on of the best DE prospects of the past couple of years. And there shouldn't be questions about his athleticism with him being a former TE and a former pitcher.

I know he will be drafted late, but I think he could be a steal for some team in the late rounds of the draft.

SuperKevin
11-02-2008, 11:28 AM
He almost declared last year. The guy is a freakish athlete and an excellent pass blocker but his age is scary. I do think he's a priority UDFA though.

Babylon
11-02-2008, 11:42 AM
Not sure where you'd draft him but watching the game i'm thinking he's shutting down one of the best DEs, if not the best, in the country. He certainly looked better than Loadholt.

OaklandRaider56
11-02-2008, 01:11 PM
He could be a damn good RT

Vikes99ej
11-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Is age that relevant for an OT? The good ones play well into their mid-30s, and it seems that tackles rely on strength, and less on speed and agility, much like guards do.

Babylon
11-02-2008, 01:20 PM
Is age that relevant for an OT? The good ones play well into their mid-30s, and it seems that tackles rely on strength, and less on speed and agility, much like guards do.

If he's a project you wouldnt want to wait too long but if he could step in fairly early then why not.

Texas Homer
11-02-2008, 02:51 PM
I don't know what kind of feet work and technique this guy has, but is a BEAST and maybe the strongest Lineman in the entire draft. I think he could play OG or RT.

Larry121283
11-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Very good football player. He will have an issue early on in his career adjusting to a pro offensive line scheme. He plays well in space, which means he can play tackle at the next level. He is strong as an ox. Has the size, most definitely.

Technique and allowing himself to be coached up will be big, but I think this kid has some upside.

Mr. Stiller
11-02-2008, 06:48 PM
Someone will use a 6th or 7th round pick on him.

Stuffing the nations Best passrusher warrants atleast that

ElectricEye
11-02-2008, 08:17 PM
His age is a big, big thing. He's such an interesting guy to watch though. He'll defiantly end up with a team; be it the draft of free agency. I think once he's on one he's capable of being a really good starter as well. You just have to wonder for how long. There's a few things not to like about him, but he shut down Orakpo last night.

Mr. Stiller
11-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Thing is..

he should be able to play almost to the time he's 40 because he didn't have the constant abuse from 18-27..

ElectricEye
11-02-2008, 09:51 PM
I'm not so sure I would buy that. While he should be able to play a bit older than most guys, I'm not sure age doesn't catch up with him at some point. Sure, he avoided some abuse...but still.

AkiliSmith
11-02-2008, 10:41 PM
I'm not so sure I would buy that. While he should be able to play a bit older than most guys, I'm not sure age doesn't catch up with him at some point. Sure, he avoided some abuse...but still.
I'm not quite 30 yet but I have been told that once you hit that milestone your body doesn't recover near as quick as when you were in your early 20s. He's 5 years older than most seniors going into the draft. He will probably still get drafted late on the 2nd day but the age is a huge negative.

Mr. Stiller
11-02-2008, 11:15 PM

I'm not saying he certainly will... but How old is Runyan?

I just feel that at 27, he avoided some abuse by not playing from 18-22.. thats in theory about 4 years longer he could play.

Again, it's not fact, merely theory, but I can't see him only playing 5-6 years.

eaglesalltheway
11-03-2008, 07:19 AM
I'm not saying he certainly will... but How old is Runyan?

I just feel that at 27, he avoided some abuse by not playing from 18-22.. thats in theory about 4 years longer he could play.

Again, it's not fact, merely theory, but I can't see him only playing 5-6 years.

Runyan has been playing like a monster the past few years, despite his age. I (and many other Eagles fans) have been worried about him retiring this year, but recently he was quoted as saying something along the lines of "I'll play until the pain is greater than the fun (that's where I don't remember exactly what he said) of playing the game...

Solomon
11-04-2008, 12:29 PM
Sorry to veer off topic but I figured it'd be more effective than starting yet another player thread.

But Louis Vasquez in my opinion is the best prospect on that Tech O-Line. 6-6, 335 lb monster with reported 5.2 speed, allowed no sacks last year and is having another dominant year. He played 5 games as a true freshman was an honorable mention all-conference selection as a soph and made the All-Big 12 team in 2007. Right now he's my number 5 guard prospect behind Duke Robinson, Herman Johnson, Tyrone Green and Sergio Render (who I don't think will declare anyway).

Mr. Stiller
11-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Sorry to veer off topic but I figured it'd be more effective than starting yet another player thread.

But Louis Vasquez in my opinion is the best prospect on that Tech O-Line. 6-6, 335 lb monster with reported 5.2 speed, allowed no sacks last year and is having another dominant year. He played 5 games as a true freshman was an honorable mention all-conference selection as a soph and made the All-Big 12 team in 2007. Right now he's my number 5 guard prospect behind Duke Robinson, Herman Johnson, Tyrone Green and Sergio Render (who I don't think will declare anyway).

I really like Vasquez. Not nearly as much as I like Ramirez, who can't even start on the Lions OL.

That said... Vasquez has some funky technique. I watched the TTUvTexas game twice, and he gives the play away and Texas could have been in Harrell's face all day if they blitzed the MLB.

On run plays he'd line up flat. But on big pass plays, he'd line up a foot off the LOS but his body turned to the left as much as the LT. At which point, exploited the LG/C Gap... Miller took up the C/RG and there was a huge hole for anyone to blitz. Muschamp just didn't do it from what I saw.

It's not something hard to fix, but, it's something I think some coaches might pick up on and exploit.