PDA

View Full Version : Raiders 2009 Draft

Pages : [1] 2

Donno
11-02-2008, 04:27 PM
So Im watching them play the Falcons and I dont know what to say. I think they will be a top 5 pick after today. What are the biggest needs in your guys' opinions. They really need to get this offense going this is sad. I'd say

1. WR
2. OL (Any where)
3. DL (Any where)

OaklandRaider56
11-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Pitiful game. This offense is terrible, the defense just needs a new coordinator and a few more peices. Ofcourse it won't matter til Al leaves.

1st- Michael Oher LT Ole Miss
2nd- Louis Murphy WR Florida
3rd- Marko Mitchell WR Nevada
4th- Gerald Cadogan OL Penn State
6th- Larry English DE Northern Illinois
7th- Rashad Bobino ILB Texas

iloxygenil
11-02-2008, 06:33 PM
You want to take 2 more WRs? I like the fact that you want oher (if he's even there when you pick) But you've gotta be looking at your real problems, team cohesiveness. Your offensive line needs help, but your team just needs to play team ball.

doingthisinsteadofwork
11-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Trading down seems like the best move.Our interior is ok our OTs suck.We need another DE,a DT,and an SLB.Jamarcus so far sucks and its quite obvious as why Kiffin didn't want him.A WR like Heyward Bey or Crabtree would be great.

OaklandRaider56
11-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Trading down seems like the best move.Our interior is ok our OTs suck.We need another DE,a DT,and an SLB.Jamarcus so far sucks and its quite obvious as why Kiffin didn't want him.A WR like Heyward Bey or Crabtree would be great.

Agreed, and JaMarcus just doesn't fit in our offense. Hopefully the next HC runs something better suited for him.

Raiderz4Life
11-03-2008, 09:43 AM
I say we should get Micahel Crabtree if not than go with the obvious choice of a top OT

Stash
11-03-2008, 02:05 PM

Trading down is almost always a good idea for a top 5 pick, it's just very difficult to actually pull off. I doubt it happens so I'm hoping we strengthen the trenches. I don't want a WR in the 1st because it won't do any good. If our DL can't stop the opposing team from getting first downs our offense will never get on the field and if our OL can't give the QB enough time to throw it won't matter who JR is throwing to.

We already had a big time WR in Moss and it didn't make us any better because our lines suck (I know there were a lot of other circumstances involved, but the point remains the same). Take a look at Detroit, they took CJ (who is awesome BTW) but it really isn't doing them any good because they have no OL and their D stinks.

I guess the easiest way to sum up is a good WR is a luxury but a good OL is a necessity. You can win without an elite WR but you can't win if your lines suck.

11-03-2008, 03:49 PM
It all really has to play out still. Who knows what coaching staff is going to be in place next season. I am convinced Russell needs a go-to-guy like a Crabtree but as Stash pointed out you MUST address the lines primarily before you move onto the 'luxuries' in order to become a great team.

RaiderNation
11-03-2008, 05:23 PM
I really hope we draft a OT before a WR. As most of you guys said above me is that getting a good WR wouldnt change much for us right now. If we had a some what decent LT right now we could maybe have another win. We could also move Harris to RT or just bench his sorry ass.

Just wonder if we would have drafted Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas, or Adrian Peterson...........

bernbabybern820
11-03-2008, 06:40 PM
Hopefully Cable starts Henderson really soon so we know if he can play in the league or not. We also have to move Kirk to the bench or OLB because he can not cut it in the middle.

11-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Just wonder if we would have drafted Calvin Johnson, Joe Thomas, or Adrian Peterson...........

Probably would have went CJ, not that it would have actually changed much.

RaiderNation
11-03-2008, 11:15 PM

We probably would have drafted a QB in round 2 or 3(Trent Edwards)

Paranoidmoonduck
11-04-2008, 02:02 AM

At least I'd be able to say that we chose the best prospect available.

I'd say that drafting a new left tackle is priority number one. Get Kwame Harris to the right side and get Cornell Green off the field. Not that I wouldn't mind a wide receiver or even a cornerback if Nnamdi Asomugha leaves, but I don't think the value will surpass the top offensive tackles that should be available in the first.

doingthisinsteadofwork
11-04-2008, 10:07 AM
Getting a good OT would also allow Miller to be more of a recieving threat.

Kurve
11-05-2008, 12:39 AM
doesnt matter who we draft they will suck .......

Prowler
11-05-2008, 03:15 PM
atleast it's warm over there, it's cold over here in michigan most of the time. i feel for you guys over there, and if i had to guess who al davis would pick, i think he actually goes wr this next year. i think ronald curry and javon walker are almost out the door.

11-05-2008, 03:18 PM
atleast it's warm over there, it's cold over here in michigan most of the time. i feel for you guys over there, and if i had to guess who al davis would pick, i think he actually goes wr this next year. i think ronald curry and javon walker are almost out the door.

Oh I know Al in the end will select one of the freak receivers ( Crabtree, Maclin, DHB ) but we desperately need some help on the lines whether on the offensive or defensive side.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Big Board for Oakland right now...

1. Andre Smith / LT / Alabama
2. Malcolm Jenkins / CB / Ohio State
3. Michael Crabtree / WR / Texas Tech
4. Jason Smith / LT / Baylor
5. Jeremy Maclin / WR / Missouri
6. Michael Oher / LT / Mississippi
7. Aaron Curry / LB / Wake Forest
8. Greg Hardy / DE / Mississippi
9. Darius Heyward-Bey / WR / Maryland
10. Brian Orakpo / DE / Texas

doingthisinsteadofwork
11-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Whats with Malcom Jenkins at #2 PMD?Is that who you think we should be looking at or who Al Davis thinks we should be looking at?I'm not the biggest fan of Routt but I'd prefer to have him as a starter and get a good pass rush going.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-09-2008, 07:28 PM
Whats with Malcom Jenkins at #2 PMD?Is that who you think we should be looking at or who Al Davis thinks we should be looking at?I'm not the biggest fan of Routt but I'd prefer to have him as a starter and get a good pass rush going.

Until we get not just a decent cornerback, but a good cornerback playing opposite Asomugha, the value Nnamdi offers is diminished and the defense doesn't work. And that's assuming Nnamdi come back for 2009, because if he's gone then Jenkins might even tie Smith for who should go to Oakland.

Mostly, I'm just a big fan of Jenkins. As long as Al requires the running of a pure man Cover-0 defense, that position is as vital as any on the field.

Stash
11-09-2008, 11:06 PM
I would prefer we get another DE and a D-coordinator who likes to bring pressure instead of adding another DB, we can address that another time. From what I've seen Chris Johnson ain't that bad and Routt is decent as well. Obviously they could be improved but I think OL and DL are much bigger needs.

11-09-2008, 11:14 PM
I would prefer we get another DE and a D-coordinator who likes to bring pressure instead of adding another DB, we can address that another time. From what I've seen Chris Johnson ain't that bad and Routt is decent as well. Obviously they could be improved but I think OL and DL are much bigger needs.

That's my thinking as well right now. Personally, I wouldn't touch a DB on the first day with the much bigger needs we clearly showed today especially on the offensive side. Anything besides OT in the first round and you must be really kidding yourself. Then in the second round we could probably look to address the receiver position and find JaMarcus a competent playmaker to work with for the distant future.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-09-2008, 11:20 PM
It can't just be position though. It's nice to say that we need to go one way and only that way, but if Andre Smith is off the table, I'm not sure I want to see Oakland take a left tackle. Michael Oher and Eugene Monroe have some major limitation to their game and we're seeing them inch down draft boards this season. Jason Smith is a personal favorite of mine, but he's definitely more of an unknown factor and represents some risk.

I just want Oakland to draft personally motivated players who don't require a ton of development. Smith is that. Jenkins is that. Crabtree isn't that, but goddamn he's tempting.

11-09-2008, 11:41 PM
I get what you're saying but we are so pathetically inept on offense if you don't go OT or WR in the first few rounds this situation will continue to drag itself on and never go away.

In a hypothetical situation as you have laid out and the presumably only elite offensive lineman ( A. Smith ) is off the board at your pick then you turn your attention to a highly-ranked receiver ( Crabtree, Maclin, DHB ) even in a trade-down scenario if one happens to pop up which is obviously often difficult.

Adding more solid defensive pieces is nice but as the defense has for the most part proven it can hold it's own there and sometimes even control an opposing side. We just don't have the luxury of going in any other direction, imo.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-09-2008, 11:59 PM
The defense can hold its own? Since when? I know Oakland's defense has played the third most snaps in the NFL, but they've been well below average this season and have played some truly horrendous 4th quarters. Maybe that's mostly Rob Ryan. I don't know. I do know that Rob Ryan defenses weren't always this bad.

The only thing that will make this situation drag out is if we keep drafting players based on athleticism rather than actual playing ability. We can't draft like a normal team. This team simply doesn't develop players properly for a myriad of reasons (Scrabble may be the exception, but he's not the average NFL player). Normals teams target needs because if they didn't they'd have logjams of quality at certain positions. Where could the Raider logjam anything but large contracts? Any good player is a good place to start. This was the entire basis for my support for drafting Calvin Johnson in 2007. You draft the guys who are the most immediately valuable and least risky regardless of position (at first, at least). Not to say this is easy, but if Oakland isn't going to build from the top down (like a normal team), then things have to build from the bottom up.

doingthisinsteadofwork
11-10-2008, 12:25 AM
I'm just praying that Al isn't owner when the draft roles around.At this point I just don't have a clue what the situation will be.It doesn't look like Cable will be around so getting a guy like Andre Smith sounds great.

11-10-2008, 12:33 AM
The defense can hold its own? Since when?

Since the post - Hall era. :)

Of course when your defense is ranked in the bottom five of the league it logically hasn't held its own so to speak but as you pointed out they've played the third most snaps in the league and I do see glimpses of reason for some optimism at the very least. To counter that, offensively there is none whatsoever to speak of. Whether that comes down to coaching or not I do not know.

I do back the glorified 'take the best player available' approach especially due to our franchise's position / history however it is too vague and sometimes can hurt you moreso than help you in the long run if you continually wish to ignore the same glaring needs.

RaiderNation
11-11-2008, 01:26 PM
What is a bigger need DE,DT or WR? Because is really looks like we are going OT in the first round (hopefully).

Also how many draft picks do we have?

bernbabybern820
11-11-2008, 01:41 PM
What is a bigger need DE,DT or WR? Because is really looks like we are going OT in the first round (hopefully).

Also how many draft picks do we have?

Has to be WR. Even on the rare occasions that the QB has time he just holds the ball forever waiting for a receiver to get open. I like Lafells in the second round even though he has a case of the droppies.

RaiderNation
11-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Has to be WR. Even on the rare occasions that the QB has time he just holds the ball forever waiting for a receiver to get open. I like Lafells in the second round even though he has a case of the droppies.

True but in the last game we got destroyed last game on the run. Sands is a bust. So a DT is also a big possibility if some1 drops.

Also why do u still have the Randy Moss sig?

bernbabybern820
11-11-2008, 02:14 PM
True but in the last game we got destroyed last game on the run. Sands is a bust. So a DT is also a big possibility if some1 drops.

Also why do u still have the Randy Moss sig?

If you subtract that 69 yard td he has 81 rushing yards. I wouldn't mind taking a DT if BJ Raji is there. I played against him in high school. Our offense is so damn bad i would rather have a WR though.

RaiderNation
11-11-2008, 09:08 PM
1st LT
2nd WR
3rd DE
4th OLB
5th DT
6th WR
7th S

Dark Knight01
11-24-2008, 01:06 PM
RAIDERS BIG BOARD should look like this IMO....

1. Andre Davis- LT
2. Michael Crabtree- WR
3. Michael Oher-LT
4. Michael Johnson- DE
5. Rey Mauluaga- MLB/OLB

They can look to get a DE or WR in round 2 if need be. In the mid rounds they need to get DT's and LB's.

Getting a bookend LT is a key this year. They just better make sure he has LONG arms and good feet. They don't want to make the same mistake twice like they did with Gallery. Gallery has aligator arms and they should have saw that during scouting. LT's need to have long arms and good feet. Gallery has played very well the past two years as his more natural position at LG though.

NIN1984
12-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Just for fun....

1. Lions - Andre Smith
2. Bengals - Michael Oher
3. Chiefs - Brian Orakpo
4. Rams -Matthew Stafford
5. Seahawks - Michael Crabtree

Raiders
Round 1 - Eugene Monroe - LT
Its extremely important to get this LT problem fixed.

Round 2 - Percy Harvin - WR
Might have to trade back in the 1st if AL wants him and I think he will after missing out on Desean Jackson and Eddie Royal (trade bait could be Huff,Burgess,Bush)

Round 3 - Pannel Egboh - DE
I don't see Burgess coming back and we need more depth on the D-line.

4,6,7 should probably be more depth for the O-line and D-line.

Abaddon
12-20-2008, 04:40 AM
Rd1: Best OT available. Crabtree won't help. Another CB, regardless of what Nnamdi does, would be foolish and won't help at all. Orakbo would be great, but I think he goes ahead of us. I think Monroe goes ahead of us too, but I'm trying to remain hopeful.

Rd2: Trade back up into Rd1 and take Max Unger. He can play C, G, or RT. That's convenient, seeing as we need all 3.

After that, start taking stabs at WRs, high motor DLs, maybe even another OL.

Can't fix everything in one draft, so it's foolish to try. Focus on the O-line and try to get some sort of return out of the two top 5 busts we took these last two seasons.

Donno
01-04-2009, 05:23 PM
What do you guys think if we got Aaron Curry in the first round and an OT in rounds 2 and 3 possibly. Ive just been thinking if the Raiders draft something besides OT or WR in the first round. They should go to free agency for a WR. So

RD 1 - Aaron Curry - OLB - Wake Forest or Malcolm Jenkins - CB - Ohio St.
RD 2 - Phil Loadholt - OT - Oklahoma
RD 3 - Alex Boone - OT - Ohio St.

Stash
01-04-2009, 10:06 PM
Why on earth would we draft an OLB in the first round? Then we'd have 3 awesome LB's but it wouldn't matter because our DL would still suck.

NotoRussell
01-05-2009, 05:17 AM
imo curry won be there at 7, so we should draft a OL, like Oher or Monroe.

01-05-2009, 07:25 PM
imo curry won be there at 7, so we should draft a OL, like Oher or Monroe.

I still pass on Curry even if he is there, in the big picture he would become a useless asset for us. Only scenario I pass on one of the elite tackles is if Crabtree is still avaiable, but I don't foresee that happening. I don't think he makes it out of the top 5, to be honest.

NotoRussell
01-06-2009, 04:45 AM
i can only agree with you!!!

Abaddon
01-06-2009, 10:34 PM
Why on earth would we draft an OLB in the first round? Then we'd have 3 awesome LB's

We have what? http://smilies.vidahost.com/cwm/cwm/eek5.gif

http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/blackeye/lol.gif

Seriously?

Abaddon
01-06-2009, 10:39 PM
What do you guys think if we got Aaron Curry in the first round and an OT in rounds 2 and 3 possibly. Ive just been thinking if the Raiders draft something besides OT or WR in the first round. They should go to free agency for a WR. So

RD 1 - Aaron Curry - OLB - Wake Forest
RD 2 - Phil Loadholt - OT - Oklahoma
RD 3 - Alex Boone - OT - Ohio St.

I dunno about Loadholt if we're still zone blocking, but I could get behind this concept. Curry would be one of those BPA picks we hear so much about, but never actually take.

He'd be the only guy on our defense who could shed a block, so that would be a nice change.

Still, I'm hoping that Hakeem Nicks fudges his 40 yard dash and is sitting there when we pick in Rd2. We'd just have to hope the old man has dozed off by then.

Donno
01-07-2009, 03:39 PM
So im thinking the first three rounds would look good like this...

RD 1 - Eugene Monroe - OT - Virginia
RD 2 - Hakeem Nicks - WR - North Carolina
RD 3 - Ron Brace - DT - Boston College
RD 4 - Marcus Freeman - OLB - Ohio St.

Stash
01-07-2009, 04:13 PM
We have what? http://smilies.vidahost.com/cwm/cwm/eek5.gif

http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/blackeye/lol.gif

Seriously?
Did I miss something?

Abaddon
01-08-2009, 11:44 PM
The play of our LBs, apparently.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-08-2009, 11:50 PM
Guys, he said that if we drafted Curry, we'd have three awesome linebackers. Which is correct, depending on your feeling about Morrison.

Stash
01-08-2009, 11:51 PM
You don't think Morrison and Howard are good linebackers Abaddon? lol

01-09-2009, 12:06 AM
I'm not as impressed with Morrison as probably are other Raider fans, but I think we would still have a solid trio by adding Curry. Obviously that would not do much to solving our team's real problems so I don't think it should be considered all that much. It is better than reaching on someone like Maclin or even Harvin for that matter though.

Abaddon
01-09-2009, 01:02 PM
You don't think Morrison and Howard are good linebackers Abaddon? lol

You didn't say "good". You said "awesome".

Morrison as Howard are middle of the road 'backers at best right now. Nothing at all special about Morrison, and Howard's speed can only do so much. Alston is a STer playing LB.

None can shed blocks. None show discipline. None have the ability to tattoo anyone.

Morrison whiffs 2-3 tackles every game. He's embarrassing. There are games where he looks like Stuart Schwiegert wearing a LB's jersey. He's also not very good in man coverage.

Our LBs get no help at all from our trash D-line, and they're not coached especially well. Al's approach to defense is nonsensical garbage. But even on an actual NFL defense, Morrison is merely average. Howard might make it as a starter, but Morrison looks like a reserve to me.

Stash
01-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Well, I would have to disagree with you there. I like them both, a lot. To say that they are both middle of the road 'backers is laughable. They are two of the better young, talented linebackers around IMO. I'll admit that Morrison misses his fair share of tackles, but I think if we had a half competent d-line and a d-coordinator that knew how to run a 4-3 our LB's would be in a much better position to make plays.

Abaddon
01-10-2009, 11:00 PM
Laugh all you want. Morrison is average at best, regardless of scheme. He's had plenty of time to prove that. A handful of noteworthy plays doesn't make him special. Otherwise, we'd be using Ronald Curry as a reason to not draft a WR.

locseti
01-11-2009, 03:10 AM
Laugh all you want. Morrison is average at best, regardless of scheme. He's had plenty of time to prove that. A handful of noteworthy plays doesn't make him special. Otherwise, we'd be using Ronald Curry as a reason to not draft a WR.

It's because Morrison is playing out of position, he's not stout enough to man the middle but he'd make a great strong side backer if we drafted Curry.

Abaddon
01-12-2009, 01:56 AM
He can't shed blocks. He whiffs too many tackles when he's not being blocked. How would moving him to the strong side help? That would only expose his weaknesses even more.

The only chance Morrison has to be a decent starter would be to add two big DTs. A Tony Siragusa/Sam Adams type of tandem. If he's not kept clean, he'll continue to fail.

If we did take Curry, I think Curry would man the strong side. Not that Al would take a LB that high, of course.

Donno
01-12-2009, 11:10 PM
What would you guys think if the Raiders drafted Maclin or Harvin?

Paranoidmoonduck
01-12-2009, 11:26 PM
With the #7 pick? Maclin I might be able to stomach, because I really do like him as a prospect, even if it would be a decent breach of value. Harvin would be unacceptable.

chapo123
01-13-2009, 09:22 AM
mock raiders draft.
trade j.fargas to the c.bengals for a 5th rd pick
trade down from # 7 to philly for 16th and 29th ( assuming they lose sunday)

1. michael oher ot - russell needs protection and a solid tackle to help give him time in the pocket. mcfadden i'm sure will run on his side of the ball.
1. victor harris cb - oakland has a decision to make on aso. this pick will assure them they have a solid corner for years to come. davis picks corners for the sake of just doing it.
2. percy hervin wr - russell needs targets!
3. cody brown de - their d-line is getting old, time to bring in some fresh new blood.
4. johnathan casillas olb - again, defense didn't live up the bill this season and a few lbs were playing out of position. this pick is solid and adds much needed depth.
5. ray feinga g - the o-line is pathetic. they need to draft more guys upfront.
5. curtis painter qb - not a big need but could pay dividends if russell gets hurt. i don't like walter or any other scrub coming in sucking it up if he got hurt
6. pat white wr - not sure how he will be as a wr, but r.curry turned out decent when he made a switch of position.
7. lendy holmes s - i have to be honest, this years crop of safetys are not that great. pass dre moore and rashad johnson i'm not sold on any of them. but oakland needs secondary help.

locseti
01-21-2009, 05:43 PM
If Crabtree is gone by the time we pick, I'm 100 % on board with drafting Oher.

RaiderNation
01-21-2009, 11:34 PM
1 Jason Smith LT- I still dont believe Mario is the long term answer at LT. Smith fits our ZBC perfectly.

2 Hakeem Nicks WR- I am very high on this guy. He reminds me of a Anquan Boldin type WR. Runs great routes, decent size and speed.

3 Ron Brace NT- IDK if he will drop to here, but if he does we should draft him quickly. Terdell Sands should be cut, so a NT is a huge need.

4 Will Davis DE- A decent DE with good size. Good at getting the QB which is a huge problem for our defense.

6 Ramses Barden WR- Huge WR at 6'6 with alright speed. Will be a great endzone threat.

7 Lee Robinson OLB- This guy should have a chance to start for us. Other than Morrison and Howard are LB's are horrible. This guy could be a steal this late

Paranoidmoonduck
01-22-2009, 01:48 AM
New Big Board

1. Eugene Monroe
2. Michael Crabtree
3. BJ Raji
4. Jason Smith
5. Andre Smith
6. Jeremy Maclin

NotoRussell
01-22-2009, 11:00 AM
1 Jason Smith LT- I still dont believe Mario is the long term answer at LT. Smith fits our ZBC perfectly.

2 Hakeem Nicks WR- I am very high on this guy. He reminds me of a Anquan Boldin type WR. Runs great routes, decent size and speed.

3 Ron Brace NT- IDK if he will drop to here, but if he does we should draft him quickly. Terdell Sands should be cut, so a NT is a huge need.

4 Will Davis DE- A decent DE with good size. Good at getting the QB which is a huge problem for our defense.

6 Ramses Barden WR- Huge WR at 6'6 with alright speed. Will be a great endzone threat.

7 Lee Robinson OLB- This guy should have a chance to start for us. Other than Morrison and Howard are LB's are horrible. This guy could be a steal this late

great mock!!! I like the Hakeem Nicks in the 2nd and the Ron Brace pick in the 3rd.

RaiderNation
01-22-2009, 03:18 PM
New Big Board

1. Eugene Monroe
2. Michael Crabtree
3. BJ Raji
4. Jason Smith
5. Andre Smith
6. Jeremy Maclin

Id probably take Andre Smith out of our big board. Unless we think he would be our RT.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-22-2009, 07:13 PM
Id probably take Andre Smith out of our big board. Unless we think he would be our RT.

That's what I'm suggesting, yes. He'd start out at right tackle and could conceivably move to left if Henderson falls on his face.

Dark Knight01
01-24-2009, 02:46 PM
After seeing Senior Bowl practices I keep coming back to drafting Maualuga with the 7th pick if Crabtree is not there and if there is no trade down. This freakin team needs TOUGHNESS and even if Rey doesn’t make the play, it will allow the other defenders to make the play. He will have no weight issues...he will be a Polamalu type of player. Hmmm….lets see…

Round 1- MLB- Rey Maualuga (need a nasty MLB who will lay the wood and help this team get tougher)

Round 2- DT- Evander “Ziggy” Hood (another strong, fast and tough player who is aggressive and can also see spot duty as a 4-3 DE)

Round 3- RG/RT- Trevor Canfield (another player with a mean streak who is tough and physical and will only get stronger, best fit for a ZBS team as a RG or RT.)

Round 4- WR- Demetrius Byrd- Solid build and has upside. At LSU he was a deep threat, from what people say he just needs to work on his concentration and route running.

DE Robert Ayers might be there in round 4 and also Center Jonathan Luigs might be there in round 4 as well.

I also would like to see the team draft FB Quinn Johnson from LSU in the later rounds. He is stud of a blocking FB and he can catch the ball out of the backfield. Need a blocking FB to replace O'Neal who will not be ready to go next year. Griffith is not a pure blocking FB.

01-25-2009, 10:09 AM
This wouldn't be the right time to be advocating Rey Rey for the 7th pick after numerous inconsistenices throughout the week. It's simple, if Crabtree is off the board and the front office is sold on avoiding offensive tackle completely in round one then the choice will more than likely be an athlete like Maclin or even possibly Harvin if he's able to make a serious push in the coming months.

Smokey
01-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Raiders Round 2 is up in the voting mock if you care to cast your ballot.

RBolyar2
01-26-2009, 06:36 PM
The Raiders have to walk away with a tackle with their first pick. I think Crabtree is the best player in the draft, but all the top tackles will be gone by the time the Raiders pick in the 2nd round. Hell, I'd even advocate the Raiders grabbing Unger or Mack to play Center at the top of the 2nd round then targeting a player like Iglesias or Robiskie in the 3rd.

The only player I might seriously look at in the 1st other than a tackle would be B.J. Raji. While I like Brian Orakpo, I think the Raiders can coax enough pass rush out of Edwards, Burgess (if he returns), and youngsters Richardson and Scott. The Raiders are getting almost no production out of the DT position and while I like Kelly as a high effort type player (I liken him to a Corey Redding), he needs a guy who commands constant double teams and can tie up blockers like Raji.

If that's the case, then the Raiders should target the best tackle left on the board which might be a guy like Eben Britton.

thoughts?

Dark Knight01
01-27-2009, 07:42 PM
My Revised preferred Raider Mock....

RD 1- OT Eugene Monroe (this guy will be a solid RT or LT in the ZBS under Cables tutelage. This team needs to get tougher, stronger and nastier. It starts with this guy)

RD 2- DT Evander "Ziggy" Hood or Fili Moala (tougher stronger and nastier continues)

RD 3- MLB Jasper Brinkley (a 6'3 265-270 pound BEAST of a MLB who will help against the run and continue the tougher, stonger and nastier theme of this draft.....we can move Morrison back to OLB)

RD 4- WR Patrick Turner (chances are this big and strong WR will be gone in Round 3, but if he is there when we pick in round 4, they should snatch him. Hasn't played his best football yet and may not have elite speed, but is a good route runner.)

In the later Rounds 6 or 7, the pick should be blocking FB Quinn Johnson from LSU...since Oren O'Neal will not be ready to play next year. Johnson can also catch passes out of the backfield.

Remember this draft needs to be about drafting players who are TOUGHER, STRONGER, AND NASTIER than the previous drafts where the focus was mainly on atheletes who ran 4.3 or 4.4 40 times.

01-27-2009, 07:48 PM
I'm trying not to fall into this Raji hype, but he almost makes too much sense as well. That's if Crabs is gone, of course.

doingthisinsteadofwork
01-27-2009, 11:14 PM
I don't think Raji is worth the 7th overall pick but I certainly wouldn't complain if he ended up being the pick. Its about time we address the trenches through the draft.And Raji and Kelly in the middle could be pretty good.

NIN1984
01-28-2009, 11:57 AM
Does anyone else think Al Davis will simply avoid drafting defense on day one because we need JaMarcus Russell be be successful? If Russell was to bust it could hurt us for years no matter what we have on defense. I really wouldn't be surprised if we draft offense with the first 3 picks...

I'm not saying this is the right thing to do but I just have that feeling.

Dark Knight01
01-28-2009, 03:04 PM
A big NO to taking Raji at #7.

If the old man wants to do that, then he better TRADE DOWN!

I think Peria Jerry will be better than Raji anyway!

thenewfeature06
01-28-2009, 03:09 PM
Russel will need targets..although he will also need time..WR/OL first round depending on the talent..then maybe a DL or DB

RaiderNation
01-28-2009, 04:35 PM
1 OT
2 WR
3 NT
4 DE
5 OG/C
6 FS
7 OLB
That would be my draft plan if we were to pick by positions

01-28-2009, 08:25 PM
The two guys atop my Raiders big board right now after the Cable hiring would probably be B.J. Raji and Andre Smith. I know there are rumors Cable would look elsewhere than OT in round one, but Andre Smith would look awfully nice on the right side across from Super Mario ..

Abaddon
01-29-2009, 08:15 AM
Would be better to take a guy who could actually play LT just in case Henderson falls on his face, which is entirely likely.

I'm hoping for Monroe/Jason Smith, expecting Maclin, and already prepared to laugh at how ridiculous our draft was.

Stash
01-29-2009, 02:38 PM
The two guys atop my Raiders big board right now after the Cable hiring would probably be B.J. Raji and Andre Smith. I know there are rumors Cable would look elsewhere than OT in round one, but Andre Smith would look awfully nice on the right side across from Super Mario ..
Something tells me Cable won't have much say in who we draft.

Dark Knight01
01-30-2009, 07:24 PM
Here is my revised Raider mock if a TRADE DOWN occurs, which it should!

This is what the old man should do if he TRULY wants this team to get TOUGHER, STRONGER, NASTIER in the trenches.

TRADE DOWN no more than 5 spots if they can….

With the 1st pick Draft a beast DE who can do it all and play as a standup pass rusher as well in Everette Brown.

Round 2 draft a DT like Ron Brace or Evander Hood, and then with the other 2nd round pick aquired in the trade down get a OT like Kropok who fits the ZBS and can play RT.

3RD round get a Center like AQ Shipley who can play in the ZBS.

Then in the 4TH round draft a WR like Patrick Turner.

Boom! The team is that much tougher and physical in the trenches and you get nice big target who hasn’t peaked yet in Patrick Turner who will be able to contribute right away most likely and can run block.

In the later rounds they should draft a blocking TE who can still catch the ball and a blocking like FB Quinn Johnson from LSU since O’Neal is not going to be ready to play next season.

That’s a mans draft and it all starts with TRADING DOWN and getting an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick!

doingthisinsteadofwork
01-30-2009, 09:52 PM
Would be better to take a guy who could actually play LT just in case Henderson falls on his face, which is entirely likely.

I'm hoping for Monroe/Jason Smith, expecting Maclin, and already prepared to laugh at how ridiculous our draft was.
And to top things off a CB in round two!

chapo123
02-01-2009, 01:07 PM
1. malcom jenkins -cb
2. eben britton - ot
3. aaron maybin - de

Paranoidmoonduck
02-01-2009, 01:53 PM
All three of those players are likely first rounders.

RaiderNation
02-01-2009, 05:18 PM
1. malcom jenkins -cb
2. eben britton - ot
3. aaron maybin - de

All of those guys are 1st round picks. Britton has a slight chance to fall to us though. We have no need for Jenkins unless Aso leaves and thats not likely. Id go either Crabtree or a OT in round 1, then WR or OT in the 2nd then dline in the 3rd

Paranoidmoonduck
02-01-2009, 10:58 PM
New Big Board...

1. Eugene Monroe
2. Jason Smith
3. Michael Crabtree
4. Andre Smith
5. B.J. Raji
6. Jeremy Maclin

Young Legend
02-02-2009, 09:08 PM
The last few years you had a clue who the Raiders would take this year there is so many possibility's its not even funny.

Ill still go Monroe over anybody at this point.

doingthisinsteadofwork
02-02-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm pretty sure its going to be Maclin.

02-02-2009, 09:24 PM
Here's mine.

1. Michael Crabtree
2. Andre Smith
3. Eugene Monroe
4. Jason Smith
5. Jeremy Maclin

RaiderNation
02-02-2009, 11:59 PM
1 Eugene Monroe OT
2 Michael Crabtree WR
3 Jason Smith OT
4 Andre Smith OT
5 Jeremy Maclin WR
6 Michael Oher OT
7 BJ Raji NT

Abaddon
02-03-2009, 01:36 AM
I'm pretty sure its going to be Maclin.

More than likely. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but...that's our Al.

Dark Knight01
02-03-2009, 06:10 PM
How about a new updated Raider Mock with a trade down.....

Trade down 5 spots....

Round 1- DE Everette Brown or Orakpo
Round 2a- WR Kenny Britt
Round 2b- DT Ron Brace or Ziggy Hood
Round 3- RT Troy Kropog
Round 4- LB Jasper Brinkley
No 5th Rounder yet
Round 6- FB Quinn Johnson

Donno
02-03-2009, 11:15 PM
I say Crabtree is number one on the Raiders list, Jamarcus, DMC, and Crabtree would be very solid for years. I think the Raiders need to spend a minimum of two rounds on the offensive line. As of now I think it would be

Rd 1 - Michael Crabtree - WR - Texas Tech
Rd 2 - Troy Kropog - OT - Tulane
Rd 3 - Jarron Gilbert - DT - San Jose State
Rd 4 - Ryan McKee - OT - Southern Miss

RaiderNation
02-03-2009, 11:28 PM
I say Crabtree is number one on the Raiders list, Jamarcus, DMC, and Crabtree would be very solid for years. I think the Raiders need to spend a minimum of two rounds on the offensive line. As of now I think it would be

Rd 1 - Michael Crabtree - WR - Texas Tech
Rd 2 - Troy Kropog - OT - Tulane
Rd 3 - Jarron Gilbert - DT - San Jose State
Rd 4 - Ryan McKee - OT - Southern Miss

Why draft 2 OT's?

RaiderNation
02-04-2009, 06:12 PM
Do you guys think a guy like Loadholt would be a good 2nd round pick? He isnt the ideal fit for a ZBC, but as a RT we would be able to run behind him all day.

doingthisinsteadofwork
02-04-2009, 07:17 PM
I think hes better fitted for G.Theres to many quick DEs that could abuse him all day.

Donno
02-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Why draft 2 OT's?

We can easily plug someone into RG if needed, maybe a C may seem more realistic.

02-05-2009, 06:18 PM
More than likely. Doesn't make a lot of sense, but...that's our Al.

If Cable has just a little input in this draft then that's just not happening.

Young Legend
02-06-2009, 01:28 AM
Still think take the best OT on the board.

garethjwelsh
02-06-2009, 07:00 AM
I found the comments made in Cable's intro press conference interesting.

First they seem happy with super mario, and considering Cable's ZBS background I would expect them to leave OT until the later rounds. I also found it interesting that Al said Mario was his pick, that might explain why Kiffin was always ragging him. I have a feeling Al thinks he is set at OT, and guards and centres will be had on the 2nd day.

Al also seemed hapy with JLH and Schilenz(sp?) at WR, which makes me think he might not draft there either... Which is a scary thought.

So who are we taking? Not another DB... surely... maybe Defensive Linemen, which would not be too bad really..

02-06-2009, 09:09 AM
I don't think that necessarily rules out a guy like Andre Smith if he plays the right side. Also selecting a DB that high would be a very, VERY scary thought considering Al's recent history. Raji or Orakpo could be the other possibilities although I'll be honest to say I really have no ******* clue anymore, lol.

RaiderNation
02-06-2009, 04:48 PM
Id wouldnt be mad if we picked Raji, Orakpo or Maclin. I wouldnt be happy but Id take it. If we draft any DB I will be pissed.

chapo123
02-07-2009, 12:17 AM
i won't be shocked if undead al takes jenkins @ 7

Young Legend
02-07-2009, 10:38 AM
I wouldn't take anything they said to serious in that press conference.

RaiderNation
02-08-2009, 02:40 PM
Franchise Aso, resign Chris Johnson and Shane Lechler

1 Andre Smith RT(This guy will be great as a RT. Best run blocker in the draft and is decent at pass blocking. Will get a chance at LT is Mario is a bust)

2 Hakeem Nicks WR(I have a good feeling this guy is going to be special. He doesnt have elite speed, but he has everything else.

3 Kyle Moore DE(Big DE that can get good pressure and is alright against the run)

4 Terrance Taylor DT( Big DT that can come in and replace Terdell Sands)

6 Jasper Brinkley LB(He can play either inside or outside. Is a upgrade over Alston

7 Anthony Parker OG( Good player that will drop because of character issues. Could eventually become our RG )

This draft will help the oline by replacing Green at RT and getting a good OG late in the draft. Our dline will become younger and better against the run. Nicks will be our #1 WR. Brinkley could come in from day 1 and start at OLB for us.

Paranoidmoonduck
02-08-2009, 02:47 PM
I'd be pretty happy with that. There's value across the board and it fills most of the holes on the team.

Stash
02-08-2009, 04:32 PM
I don't know if I'd be happy spending the first rounder on someone that's expected to be a RT. If we don't get someone who will be a LT I would rather go WR or D-line. The way I see it is our run blocking was not the problem, it was the pass blocking. We can get a RT later in the draft or just use McQ. I feel more comfortable with McQ at RT than I do with Mario at LT.

slightlyaraiderfan
02-08-2009, 04:39 PM
I agree with Stash..I rather look at J Smith, Monroe or even Oher at LT.

Paranoidmoonduck
02-08-2009, 04:44 PM
I do think Andre Smith can play LT, but if Henderson works out, the RT isn't so much less a valuable position and Smith would make a really weak right side of the line much stronger. I would definitely like the pick.

RaiderNation
02-09-2009, 12:42 AM
I agree with Stash..I rather look at J Smith, Monroe or even Oher at LT.

I dont think Jason Smith is strong enough to play RT for us. Monroe will be gone by then. Oher doesnt have the value there and I think he will be a bust.

I too believe that Andre Smith will succeed if we put him in as either LT or RT. Adding Smith to our oline make is from a decent oline to a good one IMO. Yes we could use a upgrade at C but Grove isnt horrible and either Carisle or McQ at RG will be good. I think going offense is the most important thing in the first 2 rounds. This defense is pretty good right now and with good coaching I think they could be good.

Komp
02-09-2009, 07:50 AM
I think as long as our first three rounds are a combination of OT, WR and DT we will have a decent draft. Any day one pick should be able to come in and contribute immediately at those positions.

As for which OT we should take in rd1 I am not too sure and this may be dictated more by which lineman is left rather than which one we prefer. Chances are that Monroe will be gone, and that one of the Smiths will also be off the board. I'd much rather take either one of the Smiths than Oher at this point.

There will be a lot of WRs available at the start of rd2, and we also have the option of trading of trading up a couple spots if someone drops (ex. Harvin or Bey).

bernbabybern820
02-09-2009, 09:42 AM
I am really intrigued about Jason Smith but there is absolutely no videos on him which is crazy. Damn Baylor.

UK_Raider
02-13-2009, 08:56 AM
I think if we draft a tackle at #7, we have to play them at LT simply due to the money paid to them (forget Gallery at LG - he was paid to be an LT). Mario can play RT and we should draft Jason Smith in the first round. Or, if Cable is happy with Mario, we should look elsewhere coz #7 is too expensive for an RT. I would be happy with Maclin or Raji buyt my order would be:

1/. J Smith and then someone like Ron Brace in second round
2/. Raji
3/. Maclin

chapo123
02-13-2009, 09:01 PM
if draft were today:
1. eugene monroe - ot
2. derrick williams - wr
3. fili moala - dt
4. mike mickens - cb

RaiderNation
02-13-2009, 10:57 PM
Theres no point of drafting a CB since Johnson was resigned and Aso will get franchised

Dark Knight01
02-17-2009, 02:07 PM
Franchise Aso, resign Chris Johnson and Shane Lechler

1 Andre Smith RT(This guy will be great as a RT. Best run blocker in the draft and is decent at pass blocking. Will get a chance at LT is Mario is a bust)

2 Hakeem Nicks WR(I have a good feeling this guy is going to be special. He doesnt have elite speed, but he has everything else.

3 Kyle Moore DE(Big DE that can get good pressure and is alright against the run)

4 Terrance Taylor DT( Big DT that can come in and replace Terdell Sands)

6 Jasper Brinkley LB(He can play either inside or outside. Is a upgrade over Alston

7 Anthony Parker OG( Good player that will drop because of character issues. Could eventually become our RG )

This draft will help the oline by replacing Green at RT and getting a good OG late in the draft. Our dline will become younger and better against the run. Nicks will be our #1 WR. Brinkley could come in from day 1 and start at OLB for us.

Nice! This is a VERY good Raider Mock draft. If Andre Smith falls to us, then he should be the pick without a doubt IMO and he can plugged in at the RT spot and be there for years.

02-17-2009, 10:25 PM
Is the majority here in favor of Andre Smith with the 7th pick? I think we may finally have a consensus ... for now.

RaiderNation
02-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Is the majority here in favor of Andre Smith with the 7th pick? I think we may finally have a consensus ... for now.

Im still saying if Crabtree is there we have to take him. Not likely though. So Id go Andre Smith if he was there. He would answer our RT problems and could possibly be our LT if Mario busts. Raji is also starting to look like a nice pick to in my eyes.

Michael Crabtree
Andre Smith
Jason Smith
BJ Raji
Eugene Monroe
Jeremy Maclin

bernbabybern820
02-17-2009, 10:37 PM

Id like to see some video on Jason Smith first.

Paranoidmoonduck
02-17-2009, 11:09 PM
Monroe or Jason Smith first, but Andre Smith would be more than welcome.

RaiderNation
02-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Monroe and Smith dont get enough push in the run game IMO. Since our offence is based around the running game Id rather have Andre Smith. I also think Andre Smith is on the same level of a pass blocker as both of them. This guy is gonna be a stud

Stash
02-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Monroe and Smith dont get enough push in the run game IMO. Since our offence is based around the running game Id rather have Andre Smith. I also think Andre Smith is on the same level of a pass blocker as both of them. This guy is gonna be a stud

I think most would agree that our current o-line is better at run blocking then they are at pass blocking. I really don't think we should be as concerned about the run blocking skills of potential picks as we should about pass blocking skills. IMO we should be looking to improve the weakness of our o-line by taking the best pass blocker available who projects as a LT. I know I've said it before but if we use the #7 pick on someone and intend to play him at RT I will be a little upset. LT is the more important position and more difficult to play. If the organization is high on Henderson and feels he can be the LT, then we should address a different position in the first round like D-line or WR.

RaiderNation
02-19-2009, 04:52 PM
How would you guys feel if we traded up into the 1st round for DT Peria Jerry if he was there? Do you guys feel he would be able to play NT or UT for us? A Kelly and Jerry combo would be nice

Paranoidmoonduck
02-19-2009, 07:05 PM
Jerry isn't really the kind of NT Oakland should be looking for. As far as I'm concerned, if NT is considered a big deal for the Raiders, BJ Raji should be the pick.

02-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Jerry isn't really the kind of NT Oakland should be looking for. As far as I'm concerned, if NT is considered a big deal for the Raiders, BJ Raji should be the pick.

I'd settle for his teammate, Brace, but not before round three.

Paranoidmoonduck
02-19-2009, 07:27 PM
I'm not crazy about Ron Brace. I wouldn't mind giving it a shot, but I'd just as soon wait another year for some other nose tackle (or draft Sammy Lee Hill in the 5th or 6th).

Oaktown1981
02-19-2009, 07:38 PM
I'm with most of you I hope Andre Smith drops to 7th.. He would be the ideal RT for the Raiders.. He reminds me of L.Kennedy a lot.

I expect E.Monroe to go 2nd overall the Bengals could draft a OT with the 6th pick. I hope they don't view A.Smith as a LT..

I don't know much about J.Smith but M.Mayock from NFLNW seems to really like him.

Dark Knight01
02-21-2009, 03:19 PM
This is great news regarding Andre Smiths draft stock slipping and Crabtrees being out 8-10 weeks for us Raider fans. Both players may slip to us at #7.....it's a good dilemma to have!

I hope Andre Smith keeps on slipping to the #7 spot so the Raiders can snatch him to be a DOMINATING RT!

Keep on slipping big boy! LOL

Dark Knight01
02-21-2009, 03:21 PM
How would you guys feel if we traded up into the 1st round for DT Peria Jerry if he was there? Do you guys feel he would be able to play NT or UT for us? A Kelly and Jerry combo would be nice

I like Jerry....more than Raji. Granted I have seen more Ole Miss games, but Jerry was always making plays and he is strong! Would love to see him be a Raider.

02-21-2009, 03:23 PM
This is great news regarding Andre Smiths draft stock slipping and Crabtrees being out 8-10 weeks for us Raider fans. Both players may slip to us at #7.....it's a good dilemma to have!

I hope Andre Smith keeps on slipping to the #7 spot so the Raiders can snatch him to be a DOMINATING RT!

Keep on slipping big boy! LOL

That's what I'm saying. This way we can ultimately choose between top 10 talents who otherwise would not be there. I'd still lean towards Big Andre though.

Donno
02-22-2009, 08:28 PM
No more Maclin or Harvin in the first round after today yay!

02-22-2009, 10:17 PM
No more Maclin or Harvin in the first round after today yay!

The spotlight is all on Crabtree for us now, imo, and there's a good chance he'll be available after this weekend.

Komp
02-23-2009, 08:32 AM
I like Peria Jerry a lot, but he doesn't have value for us unless we trade down. If Crabtree is there we have to take him, and if not I think we take one of the OT's (more than likely Andre Smith).

RaiderNation
02-23-2009, 05:26 PM
My big board has changed from the combine so far

1 Bj Raji
2 Jason Smith
3 Michael Crabtree
4 Eugene Monroe
5 Andre Smith
6 Brian Orakpo
7 Michael Oher

Maclin running a 4.4 40 should make Al stay away (hopefully)

Dark Knight01
02-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Combine pain is Raiders’ gain

As one player after the next comes up limp or missing at the NFL Combine, that’s one more top prospect who could be sliding his way to the Raiders at the No. 7 slot of the NFL draft.

The Raiders clearly need to pick either a left tackle or wide receiver in the first round — at least they will if they’re serious about building this team around quarterback JaMarcus Russell.

Suddenly, they could be looking at two players with top-five potential.

Start with Alabama left tackle Andre Smith, easily one of the best tackles in the draft. His stock is dropping after he showed up overweight and out of shape at the Combine, refused to work out, then went AWOL without telling anyone.

Sound like a problem child? Al Davis has never minded players with baggage and mood swings. As for being in shape, Russell was overweight at his Combine. Davis likened him to Ken Stabler, who wasn’t exactly a workout freak.

At wide receiver, Texas Tech star Michael Crabtree needs surgery to repair a stress fracture in his foot — which (maybe, maybe, maybe) could be enough to drop him from a top-two pick to the Raiders’ lap. High-rated wide receiver Jeremy Maclin of Missouri could also be there for the taking after hyperextending his knee at the Combine.

Remember, Davis isn’t scared off by question marks. If an enormous talent is there, he’ll almost always take it over the safer bet.

Russell’s weight, work ethic and NFL readiness were questioned by experts. Last year, Darren McFadden was dogged by questions about multiple paternity suits and off-the-field fights. The last two teams Davis took a “sure thing” with a top-10 pick, he picked safety Michael Huff and left tackle Robert Gallery.

With that said, Davis will be hard-pressed to pass on Smith or Crabtree if they are there for the drafting.

Posted By: David White (Email) | February 23 2009 at 01:11 PM

^^^^Agreed! Both Crabtree and Andre Smith may fall right into our laps at #7 and another plus if that happens, is that the phones will be ringing for potential TRADES!

Yeah!!

RaiderNation
02-24-2009, 05:48 PM
Current Raiders Mock Draft
1 DT BJ Raji- Will come in and improve this defense alot. Stops the run and pressures the QB well

2 C/OG Alex Mack- Can start right away at C or RG for us. I think we will find a vet OT to plug in as RT

3 WR Ramses Barden- I love this guy as a WR and will be a great red zone threat

4 DE Kyle Moore- Can stop the run at the DE spot and has good size. Upgrade over Richardson

6 OLB Ian Campbell- Would compete for the starting job as a SLB

7 OT Dan G.ay- Has perfect size to play in the ZBC. Could maybe make the team

Paranoidmoonduck
02-24-2009, 06:09 PM
If Oakland drafts Raji and Mack with their first two picks, I don't even care what any of the other picks are. I will be indescribably happy.

02-24-2009, 06:16 PM
If Oakland drafts Raji and Mack with their first two picks, I don't even care what any of the other picks are. I will be indescribably happy.

Those are the right picks to be made. Unfortunately, that's not always the case with this team.

Donno
02-24-2009, 07:07 PM
I think Crabtree would be the pick over Raji, sad to say but true but I still love the pick. Crabtree is one of the elite talents of the draft and the Raiders offense would only need a solid young LT to have an excellent young offense.

RaiderNation
02-25-2009, 01:02 AM
I still think it isnt likely Crabtree falls all the way to 7. Someone would trade up if he gets past Seattle. Raji would have a more impact on the team then Crabtree right now IMO. We still have young WR's like Higgins, Schilens and Arman Shields.

Paranoidmoonduck
02-25-2009, 01:05 AM
Personally, I think Raji has less of a chance of falling than Crabtree does. Crabtree has one likely draft spot before the Raiders pick (Seattle). Raji has at least three (Kansas City, Seattle, Cincinnati).

Young Legend
02-25-2009, 01:05 AM
Wouldn't be mad at the Raji pick he just needs to learn how to tackle cause I seen to many times where he would get to the QB or get behind the LOS and couldn't finish the tackle.

Kelly and Raji would make one hell of a set of DT's,makes Morrison better but mack in the second could change if Burgess is traded i would take L.English,R.Ayers,M.Johnson in the second.

But I would take a Sean Smith over anybody in the second round

Paranoidmoonduck
02-25-2009, 01:06 AM
If Oakland takes Michael Johnson I'm going to need to buy a new television.

Young Legend
02-25-2009, 01:08 AM
lol It's A classic Al Davis type of pick.

Stash
02-25-2009, 02:27 PM
I'd definitely be okay with Raji, that has been a major need on this team for a while. So either him, Crabtree, or the best LT available and I'd be happy with the first round.

02-25-2009, 03:19 PM
Arman Shields is still alive? As big of a fan of Crabtree's as I am, Raji would be a whole lot better in the long run for this franchise. I'm one of those believers that winners are built in the trenches so that's the place to start, add that with Mack in the second and we're certainly heading in the right direction.

bernbabybern820
02-25-2009, 05:46 PM
Kind of sucks that Malcom Jenkins didn't run a great 40 time. Now the Browns are probably going to look elsewhere in the draft which means one less prospect to choose from for the Raiders.

02-25-2009, 05:48 PM
Kind of sucks that Malcom Jenkins didn't run a great 40 time. Now the Browns are probably going to look elsewhere in the draft which means one less prospect to choose from for the Raiders.

Maybe they look at Raji now that Rogers wants out. That would suck.

RaiderNation
02-25-2009, 09:05 PM
I hope Rogers stays in Cleveland or comes to Oakland. Anything else is bad news.

They still might look at Orakpo or Brown at OLB too though.

Komp
02-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Is Orakpo big enough to play Burgess' spot on our Dline? Lord knows we need a pass rush.....I still think OT is a bigger need than DL, but if its between a DE or a DT I'm not sure which direction would be the best. I'm still not sold on Raji. I'd rather trade down and pick up Andre or Maclin at 10ish.

RaiderNation
02-25-2009, 10:41 PM
We have young guys at DE that deserve a shot at playing. Trevor Scott is a good pass rusher but cant play all 3 downs. Richardson is a run stuffing DE that cant get pressure. Burgess gets hurt. I think we should wait until rounds 3 or 4 to address DE. Adding a great NT will make every1 play better on defense

OSUraider
02-26-2009, 12:48 AM
We have young guys at DE that deserve a shot at playing. Trevor Scott is a good pass rusher but cant play all 3 downs. Richardson is a run stuffing DE that cant get pressure. Burgess gets hurt. I think we should wait until rounds 3 or 4 to address DE. Adding a great NT will make every1 play better on defense

That is the key point, we need a stud in the middle. Kirk is an amazing LB and if we can bring in someone to make plays and take some lineman off of him (Kirk) it will have a great positive impact on the defense.

I have to say that in my opion it should be Raji or Crabtree. I know that we can go with an OT(since two of the top 4 will still be there) and the more I think of it I would be happy with these players. I don't see how we can't get a good first round pick this year there are six players that would improve our team, hypothetical as long as they are not huge busts, which I think none of the Tackles, Crabtree, or Raji will be.

Lets just hope we don't go another way.

Donno
02-26-2009, 02:10 AM
Who can you guys see the Raiders go after in free agency?

02-26-2009, 10:44 AM
It appears that J. Smith and Monroe may be long gone by the time we are on the clock. Although Raji would be a good pick if available, what do you guys think about going after a guy like Oher? I would still like to address the offensive line in the first two rounds and he presents nice value and upside in that slot. Let's just say we select Oher and Mack and resign Carlisle ..

Henderson
Carlisle
Mack
Gallery
Oher

This would look really good.

RaiderNation
02-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Who can you guys see the Raiders go after in free agency?

Theres been reports we might go after L. Coles WR, D. Bennett, and Tank Johnson DT

Donno
02-26-2009, 01:36 PM
It appears that J. Smith and Monroe may be long gone by the time we are on the clock. Although Raji would be a good pick if available, what do you guys think about going after a guy like Oher? I would still like to address the offensive line in the first two rounds and he presents nice value and upside in that slot. Let's just say we select Oher and Mack and resign Carlisle ..

Henderson
Carlisle
Mack
Gallery
Oher

This would look really good.

That offensive line would look pretty deadly and decent at worst. That would be enough to let Jamarcus develop. That would be great if the Raiders got L. Coles.

Young Legend
02-26-2009, 03:08 PM
Am I the only one who would not be to happy if Oakland resigned Carlisle. I think Oakland could do way better then him.

Stash
02-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Am I the only one who would not be to happy if Oakland resigned Carlisle. I think Oakland could do way better then him.
Carlisle and Gallery are the two best lineman we have. Carlisle is getting a little older so I would only want to bring him back if he's not asking for a lot, otherwise let McQ (whom I like a lot) start.

Paranoidmoonduck
02-26-2009, 04:23 PM
If we can find someone better, then I'm all for letting Carlisle walk. If not, then there's no reason to not keep him around.

Kurve
02-26-2009, 11:46 PM
can you believe that skins gave such a contract to HALL ..... he was such a bum who couldn't cover anyone all year.

02-27-2009, 07:43 AM
can you believe that skins gave such a contract to HALL ..... he was such a bum who couldn't cover anyone all year.

It's all about the scheme man. Now that Haynesworth signed that monster deal you can look for D-Hall to be among the league leaders in INTs. He had no business in our D.

Donno
02-27-2009, 07:21 PM
What are the current FA rumors for us?

Komp
02-28-2009, 01:24 AM
The only guy I have heard possibly linked to us was Jason (?) Brown, an OG/C from Baltimore, but I think the Rams are offering him more money that we are. I know pretty much nothing about this guy.

Young Legend
02-28-2009, 11:45 AM
K.Barnes and M.Smith and also Jim Leonhard only guys I have heard being linked to the Raiders.

RaiderNation
02-28-2009, 12:30 PM
Leonhard would be a good pick up

bernbabybern820
03-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Okay so Housh got signed by the Seahawks which may mean that Crabtree falls to us. Of course the Seahawks can still draft him or the Browns if they trade Braylon Edwards. Worst case scenario would be if J Smith, Monroe, Crabs, Raji, and Curry all get drafted before our pick. We would be left with Andre Smith, Orakpo, or maybe Everette Brown.

Young Legend
03-02-2009, 06:13 PM
Welcome to Oakland Crabtree haha

03-02-2009, 11:38 PM
Looks like we're losing Grove to the Dolphins. Mack or Unger in the second is appearing to become more of a formality now.

Xonraider
03-02-2009, 11:45 PM
My avatar explains my feelings

03-02-2009, 11:48 PM
My avatar explains my feelings

Only Cleveland could **** things up now. NO!

roscoesdad27
03-06-2009, 02:09 PM
1) B.J. Raji d.t. b.c.
huge penetrator in the mold of ngata and haynes worth...will free up kelly and the rest of your defense...had a great combine and is great value here.

2) W. Beatty l.t. uconn
athletic o.t. with good upside fills a need at tremendous value here...will help keep russell on his feet and make some nice holes for mcfadden.

3) L. Murphy w.r. florida
fast w.r. with nice height would be a great compliment to russellls arm and could develope into a true #1 reciever...great upside and al will love his speed....sleeper

complete mock here
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1533596&posted=1#post1533596

thoughts?

Komp
03-06-2009, 04:13 PM
I like all three of these picks. My only concern with Beatty is that he seems similar to Henderson, which would leave with two possibly great pass pro OT's, but neither of them are overly strong or get a good push in the run game.

I do like Murphy in rd 3. I think he will be a good player for someone in the NFL and I am a big Gators fan.

raiderfan_89
03-10-2009, 04:01 PM
1) B.J. Raji d.t. b.c.
huge penetrator in the mold of ngata and haynes worth...will free up kelly and the rest of your defense...had a great combine and is great value here.

2) W. Beatty l.t. uconn
athletic o.t. with good upside fills a need at tremendous value here...will help keep russell on his feet and make some nice holes for mcfadden.

3) L. Murphy w.r. florida
fast w.r. with nice height would be a great compliment to russellls arm and could develope into a true #1 reciever...great upside and al will love his speed....sleeper

complete mock here
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1533596&posted=1#post1533596

thoughts?
I doubt we will draft B.J. Raji, I would love to see him anchor our D-Line, but there are other positions that need improvement.

Young Legend
03-12-2009, 06:57 PM
This is probably the first year in a long time were as A Oakland fan you have like NO clue who they are gonna pick you had a good idea the past 4 or so years on who they were gonna pick.

Dark Knight01
03-12-2009, 07:20 PM
If Crabtree is not there at #7 I would prefer they try and TRADE DOWN!

UK_Raider
03-13-2009, 04:00 AM
Guys, thanks for some of your comments about us picking Raji with our 1st round pick.

Personally, I would love it if Alex Mack fell to us at #40 but unfortunately I just don't see it happening. So, with us (possibly) signing Duke Preston from Buffalo (any thoughts on this?? not seen enough of the guy personally), how would you feel if we picked someone like William Beatty, the OT from Connecticut with that pick??

Here are some of Scott's comments on the guy:

"Best fit might be in a zone blocking scheme...An impressive physical specimen for the position and most of his flaws can be corrected with further development and coaching...Underrated prospect who seemingly has all the tools to play left tackle in the NFL"

and he even has him going at #41 in his mock.....??

Dark Knight01
03-13-2009, 04:40 PM
An O-Linemen that I think would be a great fit for the Raiders is Eben Britton.

Can play LT or RT and is a solid in pass pro and can run block.

He is already strong and can get stronger.

RaiderNation
03-13-2009, 05:16 PM
An O-Linemen that I think would be a great fit for the Raiders is Eben Britton.

Can play LT or RT and is a solid in pass pro and can run block.

He is already strong and can get stronger.

The thing is he will be gone by our 2nd round pick. So we either have to trade up from #40 or down from #7 to get a shot at him. I wouldnt mind trading down 7 with maybe PHI. We could get Britton with 21 and a WR (Nicks, Harvin, DHB) with 28. Then get a NT and C in the next 2 rounds

NotoRussell
03-14-2009, 08:24 AM
The thing is he will be gone by our 2nd round pick. So we either have to trade up from #40 or down from #7 to get a shot at him. I wouldnt mind trading down 7 with maybe PHI. We could get Britton with 21 and a WR (Nicks, Harvin, DHB) with 28. Then get a NT and C in the next 2 rounds

the trade with eagles would be nice. we could draft Britton or Beatty and Mack in the first. in the second we could draft a WR Robinskie or Britt, than take in the 3rd a NT like Brace.
trading down would also safe us money and we could fill the needs with our first picks.

Young Legend
03-14-2009, 06:32 PM
with barnes on board i think its gonna be a WR

03-16-2009, 04:20 PM
NFL | Multiple teams showing interest in S. Martin
Mon, 16 Mar 2009 06:55:43 -0700

Ed Thompson, of Scout.com, reports the Tennessee Titans, Baltimore Ravens and Oakland Raiders were just a few teams that talked with Troy FS Sherrod Martin following his Pro Day workout. Martin reportedly posted a time of 4.45 seconds in the 40-yard dash and a 37-inch vertical jump.

I thought this would be interesting. He's good value early on the second day, which is right where we should be targeting the position in the draft. His 40 time is impressive so I can't say I'm surprised we're at least taking a look here.

Stash
03-17-2009, 12:54 AM
NFL | Multiple teams showing interest in S. Martin
Mon, 16 Mar 2009 06:55:43 -0700

Ed Thompson, of Scout.com, reports the Tennessee Titans, Baltimore Ravens and Oakland Raiders were just a few teams that talked with Troy FS Sherrod Martin following his Pro Day workout. Martin reportedly posted a time of 4.45 seconds in the 40-yard dash and a 37-inch vertical jump.

I thought this would be interesting. He's good value early on the second day, which is right where we should be targeting the position in the draft. His 40 time is impressive so I can't say I'm surprised we're at least taking a look here.
You know Al is drooling over that 40 time. That's all he needs to see to be sold on a player.

LookItsAlDavis
03-17-2009, 01:36 PM
What would you all think if we somehow traded down and took Harvin? Call me crazy, but I like him more than Maclin or DHB. We could have a pretty unique offense with 4 players that can run, with 2 of them being receiving threats as well. (Harvin, McFadden)

raiderfan_89
03-17-2009, 04:48 PM
how about..

1st-Crabtree
2nd-William Moore
3rd-Max Unger
4th-Chris Baker

I wish!!!!

03-17-2009, 10:56 PM
What would you all think if we somehow traded down and took Harvin? Call me crazy, but I like him more than Maclin or DHB. We could have a pretty unique offense with 4 players that can run, with 2 of them being receiving threats as well. (Harvin, McFadden)

I don't know, Harvin and McFadden's skills overlap much like Maclin and Higgins do. Crabtree meshes in best with our receiving core.

RaiderNation
03-17-2009, 11:05 PM
how about..

1st-Crabtree
2nd-William Moore
3rd-Max Unger
4th-Chris Baker

I wish!!!!

Unger will be long gone by the 3rd.

RaiderNation
03-17-2009, 11:06 PM

Id rather take DHB or Nicks over Harvin.

RaiderNation
03-19-2009, 01:19 AM
Updated my Raider Mock ( 2 of them now)

1 Crabtree WR
2 Unger C
3 Sidbury DE
4 Baker NT
6 Boone OT
7 Goddard FS

or
1 Raji NT
2 Britt WR
3 Wood C
4 Moore DE
6 Clemons FS
7 Gardner OT

Also I read that Cable said Tyvon Branch will be the starting SS for now. So maybe Huff at FS and draft a FS late or sign to compete with him. If Huff finaly lives up to what we all thought he would be, our defense could be good. I think we are a NT and FS away from having a top 15 D.

03-19-2009, 08:36 AM
I have a good feeling Cable will look to address the trenches in the top 2 rounds. For me, it's either B.J. Raji or Andre Smith at #7 then a C in round two. I know Cable is looking long and hard at Mack, but the fact is he more than likely won't make it out of the first unless we trade up from our second pick to get him. We all know Al just simply doesn't do that so this should make things very, very interesting come draft day.

Young Legend
03-19-2009, 03:30 PM
If Oakland did take a OL with the first pick like what does that say to a guy like Henderson.

But Cable said somethings that make me think A.Smith is not even on the Raiders radar

When Al Davis said the Raiders would introduce more power into their running scheme, Cable said he wasn’t talking about a change in technique.

“We’ll be the same, and what he means by that is what you saw in Tampa Bay,” Cable said. “There was more two-tight end (sets), those types of things, more power in the system and formations.”

The ultra-huge players sound as if they need not apply in Oakland.

“Is he 350 or 320, that’s really what you’re talking about here,” Cable said. “I’d probably rather have a little more athletic guys that maybe lend itslef to 310, 320, 315ish type of guy.”

OaklandRaider56
03-20-2009, 12:51 PM
My Raider Big Board:
1.) Jason Smith
2.) B.J. Raji
3.) Aaron Curry
4.) Michael Crabtree
5.) Michael Oher (RT)

I really doubt the Maclin pick people keep projecting, considering the only reason he's ranked that high is that so much of what he brings to the table in the return game and we've got Johnnie Lee Higgins already, he's not the true #1 WR we need. I honestly think there's a better chance we take Nicks at #7 than Maclin. Monroe's play is just too finese, I can't stand it! Assuming Curry, Raji, and Smith are off the board here's how I want this draft looking.

1st- Michael Crabtree WR Texas Tech
2nd- Alex Mack C Cal/ Max Unger C Oregon/ Eric Wood C Louisville
3rd- Roy Miller NT Texas/ Dorell Scott NT Clemson/ Sammie Lee Hill DT Stillman
4th- Phillip Hunt DE Houston/ Strykar Sulak DE Missouri
6th- Aaron Kelly WR Clemson/ Johnny Knox WR ACU
7th- Blake Schlueter OL TCU

OR

1st- Michael Oher RT Ole Miss
2nd- Kenny Britt WR Rutgers/ Brian Robiskie WR Ohio State
Rest remains the same.

chapo123
03-20-2009, 01:20 PM
1. bj raji - dt
2. brian robiskie - wr
3. eric wood - c
4. fenuki topua - ot
5. mike thomas - wr
6. cj spillman - fs
7. brandon hughes - cb

03-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Cable says tackle is top need

March 24, 2009 5:30 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

DANA POINT, Calif. - Oakland Raiders coach Tom Cable made it clear Tuesday at the AFC's coach's availability that tackle will be the team's top need in the draft.

However, that doesn't necessarily mean the Raiders will select a tackle with their first pick, which is the No. 7 overall pick.

Cable, whose area of expertise is the offensive line, said that this draft class is particularly strong at tackle. He said he believes teams can pick up a tackle that will make an impact as a rookie in the first three rounds. Last year's tackle class was ballyhooed but it was top heavy. This year's class, Cable reasons, is deeper.

Thus, while he didn't come out and say it, Cable may not feel the pressure to pull the trigger on a tackle in the first round.

"We could but we don't have to," Cable said.

The Raiders have options because solid tackle and receivers, their biggest need, are expected to be available when Oakland picks in the first round.

Asked if he could see Oakland taking a top receiver (the best available are Texas Tech's Michael Crabtree and Missouri's Jeremy Maclin) Cable responded by saying "I can see us going that way too."

It is clear Oakland will address both tackle and receiver in the early rounds but exactly when, is the question.

Cable said he likes where his tackle situation is going after the addition of Khalif Barnes and Erik Pears in free agency and the late-season emergence of Mario Henderson. But Cable said he thinks he still needs help there. He also said he likes the Raiders' core of young receives, starting Johnnie Lee Higgins and Chaz Schilens and he believes veteran Javon Walker can be productive if stays healthy. Still, Cable wants to add another receiver.

Other areas of need he said include a complementary tight end to backup Zach Miller and defensive front help.

But tackle is the top priority, Cable says. Still, because but that doesn't mean it will be the position Oakland addresses first.

The way the draft looks to play out, receiver is still most likely in round one, then I'd say we grab a tackle in the second and probably defense right after that.

Young Legend
03-24-2009, 07:36 PM
The Raiders have 3 major needs

WR,DT, depending on who you talk to they can flip flop on which one is more important and Safety after that.they have to get a WR,DT,S,all with in the first 3 picks IMO.

1.Crabtree,Maclin
2.Brace,Hood
3.Vaughn,Bruton

Xonraider
03-24-2009, 09:06 PM
I thought the Raiders had promised Khalif Barnes they would not take a Tackle in this years draft?

RaiderNation
03-24-2009, 10:04 PM
I thought the Raiders had promised Khalif Barnes they would not take a Tackle in this years draft?

I think they said in the 1st round

Young Legend
03-25-2009, 02:14 AM
Raiders would be stupid IMO to take a tackle with the first 3 picks.when there are far bigger needs to be filled and have that tackle sit for a year while they could of used that pick on a Safety or Dt or WR who could be playing.

raiderfan_89
03-25-2009, 04:12 AM
Unger will be long gone by the 3rd.

as I said
"I wish!!!"

chapo123
03-25-2009, 10:03 AM
louis delmas would be a good choice in the 2nd

Donno
03-25-2009, 04:26 PM
Im glad they are building a very solid young offense this is great, I don't think OT is a 1st or 2nd round need. I think round 1 should be Crabtree. Then you have a variety in round 2 depending on BPA on defense that is a need. Then in round 3 go for OT.

raiderfan_89
03-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Crabtree in the 1st and William Moore in the 2nd.
I think this is pretty realistic.

Dark Knight01
04-01-2009, 12:31 PM
I would rather see the 2nd round pick go to a D-Linemen like the ultra versatile Jarron Gilbert or Ron Brace.

3rd Round D-Line or OT and in the 4th take a safety.

This is if Crabtree winds up being the pick at #7.

I'm gonna be pissed if the old man picks Maclin at #7.

He has the same skill set as JLH and that would be a waste of a pick IMO.

Dark Knight01
04-01-2009, 12:39 PM
The only two DB's that I like in this draft is Sean Smith and Chip Vaughn.

Very intriguing prospects.....

Paranoidmoonduck
04-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Sean Smith would have to be got with the #40 pick if we are to get him, but there's a slim chance Vaughn would fall to our new 4th round pick.

Oaktown1981
04-02-2009, 01:04 PM
I hope Oak goes WR/OL in the 1st 2rounds..

Defense in round 3

BPA 4th

RaiderNation
04-03-2009, 01:26 AM
Heres my updated mock draft
1 Michael Crabtree WR
2 Ron Brace DT
3 Chip Vaughn SS
4 Kyle Moore DE
7 Alex Boone OT

UK_Raider
04-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Heres my updated mock draft
1 Michael Crabtree WR
2 Ron Brace DT
3 Chip Vaughn SS
4 Kyle Moore DE
7 Alex Boone OT

don't know enough about Kyle Moore but other than that, i think that's a draft I could live with to be honest

Young Legend
04-03-2009, 05:20 PM
With this whole Raji thing(never liked him anways) and with Crabtree most likely going to the Browns.The best player Available will be A.Smith. So im kind of warming up to that idea of taking him.Will start at RT from day 1,will make Oakland's running game beastly.so that leaves IMO Henderson on the bench for a year or so.

1.A.Smith
2.B.Robiskie
3.C.Vaughn
4.C.Baker

Barns/Gallery/Satele/Carlisle/Smith

so much better then what Oakland had last year.

04-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Mayock had us taking DHB at #7 in his mock today, lol. Yep. It finally happened, you just knew it was coming at some time. Not even a mention of Crabtree in the top 10, which was a bit surprising. Maclin went the pick right after to Jacksonville.

LookItsAlDavis
04-04-2009, 04:50 PM
I would be a lot happier with DHB than Raji, and I would be over-joyed if we could trade down and get still get him. I'm sure we can find someone in the 10-20 range who loves Mark Sanchez enough to do it.

locseti
04-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Mayock had us taking DHB at #7 in his mock today, lol. Yep. It finally happened, you just knew it was coming at some time. Not even a mention of Crabtree in the top 10, which was a bit surprising. Maclin went the pick right after to Jacksonville.

Ya, you knew it was coming. We are gonna be so sorry if we pass on Crabs.

Donno
04-08-2009, 04:47 PM
Who do you guys see the Raiders taking with the 2nd round pick? I'm thinking Chip Vaughn if hes there.

RaiderNation
04-09-2009, 01:01 AM
Thats too high for Vaughn IMO. He will likely be their in the 3rd. I see us going dline or WR with the first 2 picks

Jimmy
04-09-2009, 12:48 PM
hey, are you guys gonna draft marcus vick this year?

TACKLE
04-10-2009, 12:47 PM
With Crabtree and Andre Smith gone, if Raji, Orakpo and Maclin are all still available, who's the pick?

RaiderNation
04-10-2009, 01:35 PM
With Crabtree and Andre Smith gone, if Raji, Orakpo and Maclin are all still available, who's the pick?

Id got Raji

RaiderNation
04-11-2009, 04:40 PM
Im starting to warm up to the idea of drafting DHB if we trade down a few spots in the 1st. He has all the tools(speed,height,body control and decent hands) to be a #1 WR in this league. He will have time to learn along with this young team and could wind up as the best WR in this draft.

Right now this is my BB

1 Crabtree
2 Raji
3 Trade down for DHB
4 Orakpo
5 Andre Smith
6 Jeremy Maclin
7 Everette Brown

Thumper
04-11-2009, 05:03 PM
I have a question. Why are you guys not calling for Raji?

You had the 31st rated run defense. Tommy Kelly did what was expected out of a DE moving to DT, Gerrard Warren is less than stellar and he is 30, Terell Sands is big but thats about it and he will be 30 this season as well. Raji would immeadiately come in and help free Tommy Kelly, Derrick Burgess and Jay Richardson up as well as help the run defense and get some pass rush up the middle. The Raiders should IMO take Raji because he would also keep offensive linemen off of Kirk Morrison which allows him to use his athletic ability on blitzes and run stopping instead of taking on 300 pound linemen. Raji IMO is a much better pick than Crabtree.

You can get a WR in the second. Robiskie is a polished receiver who looks like he could suceed in the NFL and there is a chance that Percy Harvin and/or Hakeem Nicks fall. Take Raji.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-11-2009, 05:22 PM
Some people are. I just think that quite a few question whether Raji is really that prototype nose tackle (he isn't, but I still like him) and feel the need to roll the dice on Crabtree. If we got Raji in the first and Robiskie in the second, I'd be very happy.

Thumper
04-11-2009, 05:27 PM
But then there is the problem of Al Davis who might not want Raji or Robiskie because Raji isn't 6'4"+ and Robiskie doesn't run a 4.3, he likes the prototypes so I could definitely see Big Al taking DHB and then taking a guy like Fili Moala in the second or third which IMO would be a HUGE mistake.

Komp
04-13-2009, 11:56 AM
IMO I don't think Maclin or DHB are worth a top 10 pick and I'd be surprised if either of them were our pick at 7. WR is usually the last position that teams historically reach for, and I don't see teams reaching for WR's this year.

The more I think about getting Raji, the more I like it. Kirk Morrison pretty much disappeared last year due to our weakness at DT. By drafting Raji it forces teams to put a single guard on Tommy Kelly, frees up Morrison, and Raji shouldn't get too tired if we still have Warren and Sands for relief.

However, Crabtree (not unlike McFadden) might be the best player in the entire draft. And if he still there for us, we have to take him. If not, I see either a trade down OR Raji/Orako being the pick.

LizardState
04-14-2009, 12:04 PM

Track star speedburners don't have a great rcd. of making it as NFL WRs. See Ashley Lelie or Renaldo "Skeets" Nehemiah.....

04-14-2009, 07:58 PM
Raiders | Cable says team eyeing four players
Tue, 14 Apr 2009 13:44:32 -0700

David White, of the San Francisco Chronicle, reports Oakland Raiders head coach Tom Cable said the team has four players targeted with their first-round draft choice.
per KFFL

Just another draft update. I think those four guys Cable is talking about could be Crabtree, Maclin, A. Smith and Raji. I'm not sure on DHB.

LookItsAlDavis
04-14-2009, 08:55 PM
per KFFL

Just another draft update. I think those four guys Cable is talking about could be Crabtree, Maclin, A. Smith and Raji. I'm not sure on DHB.

I will pray every night following up to the draft that we don't draft Smith....the kid WILL bust.

04-14-2009, 09:06 PM
I will pray every night following up to the draft that we don't draft Smith....the kid WILL bust.

http://www.ibabuzz.com/raidersblog/2009/04/14/tom-cable-on-the-draft/#more-4635

A good recent interview with Cable on the draft. He may have hinted at selecting a tackle at #7 like Andre Smith, unfortunately for you. I don't know, it's all still rather confusing. I like it, should keep us guessing all the way up to our pick.

RaiderNation
04-15-2009, 06:18 PM
Right now it sounds that if Crabtree is their he will be taken. If he isnt, we will go OT or Maclin. Id much rather go OT(Andre Smith, Monroe or Oher) than Maclin at #7. We should really try to get a deal done to trade down though. We can pick up Maclin,DHB or another WR in the teens plus adding more picks that we need

Dark Knight01
04-15-2009, 06:33 PM
The only WR that Oakland should draft with the #7 pick should be Crabtree.

Otherwise the pick should be A Smith to be the starting RT or they need to TRADE DOWN to a team that wants Sanchez!

RaiderNation
04-15-2009, 06:39 PM
The only WR that Oakland should draft with the #7 pick should be Crabtree.

Otherwise the pick should be A Smith to be the starting RT or they need to TRADE DOWN to a team that wants Sanchez!

I agree with you. There should be a few teams trying to trade up for Sanchez or a OT. We must somehow get picks. Hopefully we can deal Fargas for a 5th or 6th.

This is how I rank need right now

WR
NT
FS?SS?
OT
DE
SLB

Komp
04-15-2009, 10:16 PM
Did you see our pass rush last year? It was feeble. I'd rank our needs something like this.

#1 - WR
#2a - DT
#2b - OT
#2c - DE
#3 - OL depth
#4 - S

The problem with picking at 7 is that no WR except Crabtree is worth a top 10 pick. If he is gone than you have to pick the BPA. In this draft if you look back at how Davis loves physical specimens, it could very likely be Orakpo. He probably has the best triangle numbers out of any of the top prospects.

Komp
04-15-2009, 10:17 PM
But yes I agree with you that the best alternative to Crabtree would be to trade down....without question.....but Orakpo probably has a higher upside than any of the top prospects imo.

Donno
04-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Im starting to think Chip Vaughn in the 2nd is a good possibility, I wouldn't be surprised. I hope we can get Crabtree in the first so my realistic mock would be..

RD 1 - Michael Crabtree - WR - Texas Tech
RD 2 - Chip Vaughn - S - Wake Forest
RD 3 - Fili Moala - DT - USC
RD 4 - Jason Watkins - OT - Florida

Dark Knight01
04-18-2009, 01:47 PM
With this whole Raji thing(never liked him anways) and with Crabtree most likely going to the Browns.The best player Available will be A.Smith. So im kind of warming up to that idea of taking him.Will start at RT from day 1,will make Oakland's running game beastly.so that leaves IMO Henderson on the bench for a year or so.

1.A.Smith
2.B.Robiskie
3.C.Vaughn
4.C.Baker

Barns/Gallery/Satele/Carlisle/Smith

so much better then what Oakland had last year.

Agreed....but I think Robiskie will gone by the time we pick.

If they go with A Smith with the #7 IF Crabtree is gone.....then I would like to see them pick the DT/DE beast Jarron Gilbert in Round 2. He is 6'5, a solid 280....and can play DT in some situations and be a stout DE. He has long arms, is strong and is athletic.

Then in Round 3 they can look at WR's Ramses Barden, Patrick Turner or SS Chip Vaughn, or LB Jasper Brinkley.

Komp
04-20-2009, 07:37 AM
Agreed....but I think Robiskie will gone by the time we pick.

If they go with A Smith with the #7 IF Crabtree is gone.....then I would like to see them pick the DT/DE beast Jarron Gilbert in Round 2. He is 6'5, a solid 280....and can play DT in some situations and be a stout DE. He has long arms, is strong and is athletic.

Then in Round 3 they can look at WR's Ramses Barden, Patrick Turner or SS Chip Vaughn, or LB Jasper Brinkley.

With the amount of WR's (Britt, Nicks, Harvin, Robiskie, etc) slated to go in late Rd1 - Mid Rd2 you have to think that one of them will drop to us. I really believe that our 2nd rd pick is where the best value is for WR in this draft. If we don't grab a WR or Mack/Unger in the 2nd I'll be a little disappointed.

LookItsAlDavis
04-20-2009, 06:24 PM
With the amount of WR's (Britt, Nicks, Harvin, Robiskie, etc) slated to go in late Rd1 - Mid Rd2 you have to think that one of them will drop to us. I really believe that our 2nd rd pick is where the best value is for WR in this draft. If we don't grab a WR or Mack/Unger in the 2nd I'll be a little disappointed.

How about Crabtree in the first, Beatty in the second?

Komp
04-21-2009, 01:26 PM
Yah, that would also work. I think someone will jump on him if Cleveland doesn't take him so the chances of him being available are kind of slim in my opinion.

I think Philly trading for Jason Peters helps us out a bit in terms of an OT slipping to us in rd2, but I'd rather snag a DL/OL in rd1 and take my pick of what is left from a very deep WR pool in rd 2.

Dark Knight01
04-21-2009, 04:01 PM

I don't think Britt or Harvin will drop that far. Maybe Robiskie, but I doubt it.....and quite possibly Nicks.

Dark Knight01
04-21-2009, 04:02 PM
BSPN SUCKS!

Watch NFL Network on Draft Day instead!

Komp
04-22-2009, 01:04 PM
I don't think Britt or Harvin will drop that far. Maybe Robiskie, but I doubt it.....and quite possibly Nicks.

Harvin was projected at late rd1 before the positive test....I think its a very real possibility that he could drop to us.

Donno
04-22-2009, 08:46 PM
As of today who do you guys think we would get? An O-lineman? I still think if Crabtree fell to the Raiders they would take him in a heartbeat. Maclin to the Raiders would be okay.

Young Legend
04-23-2009, 01:43 AM
Logic says Maclin or A.Smith.Assuming Crabtree is gone of course.

I come to a agreement with my self that Oakland will select Maclin ugh.
but im still hoping for A.Smith.

04-23-2009, 08:29 AM
I don't think it's really going to matter who's on the board, whether that be Crabtree or A. Smith, Al is going with Maclin.

LookItsAlDavis
04-23-2009, 12:28 PM
Don't loose hope! There's a chance we'll take Crabtree, Jamie Dukes says so!

Oaktown1981
04-23-2009, 05:57 PM
I like Maclin a lot the dude is a playmaker he is something the Raiders lack on offense.

Komp
04-23-2009, 06:28 PM
I keep seeing Maclin popping up for us and it sucks cause I'm so against him at #7. WR's picked that high have traditionally given such a poor return for the pick value, I really think we should be looking at OL/DL. We'll see what happens, he could turn out to be our version of Lee Evans, which imo would be a best case scenario for Maclin's upside.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-23-2009, 06:46 PM
I don't know, I really like Maclin. He's actually pretty polished, even if his game needs to be expanded in the NFL, he's just about the only 1st round receiver option that doesn't have character concerns, he's got really good hands and if he puts in the time he'll be a great route runner. He's a bulkier, stronger, smoother, better cutting and better catching Tedd Ginn Jr.

Is he a spectacular value at #7? No. In a draft like this, does that worry me? Not in the least.

04-23-2009, 09:09 PM
Receiver Michael Crabtree, who is already sounding at times like a guy who at some point will be publicly thanking his hands or doing sit ups in his driveway or nudging traffic cops with a car bumper or all of the above, made another ill-advised comment on Thursday.

The remark came during a live chat on NFL.com. According to RaiderBeat.com, Crabtree had this to say when asked about whether he wants to play for the Raiders (and, apparently, about whether he’s cocky): “I’m not cocky at all,” Crabtree said. “People talk, man, but I’m a cool guy. As for playing for the Raiders, no comment.”

Hmmmmm.

But the odd thing about this one is that the live chat currently contains no such “no comment” comment. But it does, however, contain a subsequent reference to the exchange.

Q: “Why did you say no commit [sic] to playing for the raiders? Does that mean you wouldn’t like to be a raider[?]”

A: “No, I’d like to play for whoever picks me.”

Yeah, right.

We’re starting to get the feeling that, come Saturday, this guy will be sliding like Aaron Rodgers stretching a single into a double on a baseball diamond made of freshly Zambonied ice.
per PFT

More reason to take Maclin over this douche. He's a problem waiting to happen some time down the road imho.

Young Legend
04-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Why is everyone taking that no comment out of text its ridiculous now he is a douche lol.

04-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Why is everyone taking that no comment out of text its ridiculous now he is a douche lol.

Yes! It doesn't matter anyways, DHB is a "lock" to us at #7, according to the National Football Post.

04-24-2009, 11:58 AM
Darrius Heyward-Bey-WR-Player Apr. 24 - 12:39 pm et

SI's Peter King seconds a National Football Post report that the Raiders are seriously considering Maryland WR Darrius Heyward-Bey with the No. 7 pick.

According to King, Mizzou's Jeremy Maclin is also an option. Raiders coach Tom Cable was reportedly in contact with Maclin Thursday night. It appears that the Raiders are locked into a receiver with their first-round pick.

rotoworld

The suspense is building ...

LookItsAlDavis
04-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Kiper has Monroe falling to us in his mock...I'd be alright with that I guess. But really, the suspense is killing the **** out of me!

04-24-2009, 01:04 PM
There’s chatter in league circles that a surprise pick could be made in the top ten of the 2009 draft.

Of course, that could be said in any given year.

But one source connected to one of the teams picking in the top ten thinks that an eyebrow-raising pick could be coming, given the names that currently are expected to be called at the top of the draft.

We’ve got a weird feeling that the surprise could be Percy Harvin to the Raiders at No. 7.

Remember this — 31 teams can scream “no way in hell” from the tops of their lung. But if only one says “yes” in round one, then the player is a first-round pick.

Harvin fits the Raiders profile.

Receiver. Fast. Potentially explosive. Perceived bad boy.

But NFLN’s Mike Mayock recently told Dan Patrick that Harvin has top-ten talent. And one team that possibly wouldn’t care about a little weed and/or a lot of attitude is the Raiders.

PFT

Haha this is a fun day.

Komp
04-24-2009, 01:40 PM
why take a receiver in rd2 when you can take him in rd1?

Stash
04-24-2009, 03:11 PM
This is definitely going to be an interesting draft for us, I really have no clue who we are going to pick.

Paranoidmoonduck
04-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Heyward-Bey seems like a much more likely reach.