PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Thigpen

illmatic74
11-03-2008, 03:02 AM
The last two weeks Tyler Thigpen has showed some potential. He is only 24 years old. Does his emergence make the Cheifs not a team looking to draft a QB?

Paranoidmoonduck
11-03-2008, 03:51 AM
It's hard to tell. We know that there's been some substantial support for Thigpen in the current Kansas City staff and front office, but we have no idea what kind of turnover is coming once the season is up. If the management stays mostly the same and Thigpen plays more like he has recently as opposed to how he played earlier in the season, I could easily see Kansas City passing up a first round quarterback.

eaglesalltheway
11-03-2008, 07:08 AM
It is kind of a wait and see thing.

I don't remember who said it, but "You can't pass up on a potential franchise QB unless you already have one." And right now, though he has played well recently, no one can argue that Thigpen is a franchise QB. I know it is a stupid cliche, but in this case, I think it is an apt cliche.

Race for the Heisman
11-03-2008, 07:36 AM
It is kind of a wait and see thing.

I don't remember who said it, but "You can't pass up on a potential franchise QB unless you already have one." And right now, though he has played well recently, no one can argue that Thigpen is a franchise QB. I know it is a stupid cliche, but in this case, I think it is an apt cliche.

Exactly, just like the Falcons did. No matter who showed what down the stretch, unless you have the guy, you go get one. And if you get lucky (in one sense) you get a Brees/Rivers//Anderson/Quinn type situation.

BmoreBlackByrdz
11-03-2008, 07:42 AM
I think we need to see more out of him to make any calls. If he keeps it up IMO they should pass on a quaterback only because they've got other needs. If Thigpen gives them a legit shot at winning why not stay with him?

eaglesalltheway
11-03-2008, 07:46 AM
I think we need to see more out of him to make any calls. If he keeps it up IMO they should pass on a quaterback only because they've got other needs. If Thigpen gives them a legit shot at winning why not stay with him?

I understand your thinking, but a franchise QB will help their franchise (if he succeeds) more than any other pick would.

bored of education
11-03-2008, 08:06 AM
DONT PASS ON STAFFORD

Thigpen is nothing more than LESS THAN STAFFORD!

KaneMarko
11-03-2008, 09:42 AM
The last two weeks Tyler Thigpen has showed some potential. He is only 24 years old. Does his emergence make the Cheifs not a team looking to draft a QB?

Being a Chiefs fan, IMO, Thigpen’s ceiling is probably still that of a good backup. As it stands right now, if we have a shot to get Stafford, then I think we almost have to take it barring Thigpen just exploding in a major way in the remaining 8 games.

drowe
11-03-2008, 10:20 AM
my thought is; thigpen's emergence has put KC in a situation where they won't have to trade up to get a QB...but, if one is there, they should still take him.

bored of education
11-03-2008, 10:25 AM
I agree with drowe. Don't take extreme measures to get the franchise signal caller, but if he falls in your lap take him.

vidae
11-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Tyler Thigpen has looked very good the last few weeks, but I still think we need to draft a franchise QB if there is on available.

The only thing that we need as bad as a QB at this point is probably a DE. We're not getting pressure on the QB at all. It's starting to get frustrating to watch.

SuperKevin
11-03-2008, 11:26 AM
There's a reason why Tyler Thigpen was the first player in his draft class to sign an endorsement deal following the draft

Babylon
11-03-2008, 01:38 PM
I think if you became enarmored with a Josh Freeman or a Rhett Bomar at the combine and thought you could get them in round 2 or 3 then you could go in a differant direction if you're KC or Detroit. What would probably change that thinking is if a Stafford had a grade of a 9.9 or whatever and the next closest player that you felt you wanted had a 9.5 grade, at that point go with the better player.

kmartin575
11-04-2008, 01:54 AM
I personally am not impressed with Stafford and I am not sure who else I would take in the 1st round. I would rather take somebody in the 2nd or 3rd to compete with Thigpen and if we are still looking take a QB high in the draft in 2010.

Shane P. Hallam
11-04-2008, 02:04 AM
Worst case, if they like him, they can nab a guy in the 2nd.

Bengalsrocket
11-04-2008, 08:23 AM
There is no way Thigpen can prove he's the answer in KC in just 8 games. Even if he plays out of his mind, it still doesn't prove it. There have been to many cases of guys having good seasons in recent history then following it up with mediocrity or less (Anderson, Grossman, Huard, Alex Smith all come to mind right now).

Now, lets assume Thigpen does play out of his mind: I'd grab Stafford (or whichever QB KC believes can be the future) if he's available and sit him for a year trying out Thigpen again. If it doesn't work out, you've given Stafford (or again, which ever QB KC believes can be the future) a year to learn the playbook and now you give him a chance to start. If Thigpen continues to play well, you work out a deal like the Falcons did with Matt Schaub and the Chargers did with Brees.

But no matter how this season ends, I don't think KC can pass on their franchise QB.

bored of education
11-04-2008, 08:24 AM
If a qb is available at the pick TAKE HIM. But dont reach for a qb. address an immediate need!

bored of education
11-04-2008, 08:26 AM
maybe pick up a qb in a later round

SMoore
11-04-2008, 08:38 AM
maybe pick up a qb in a later round

I don't really think that would make much sense. Either Thigpen is your guy and you don't pick up anyone, or you are unsure whether he is your man and you pick up a franchise QB. Thigpen is young, so getting another young project QB doesn't really makes sense.

bored of education
11-04-2008, 08:40 AM
I think we need one since Bordie Croyle is always injured and Damon Huard is about to transfer his 401k into an IRA and Quinn Gray hasn't been seen. Depth purposes I still pick one up.

SMoore
11-04-2008, 08:43 AM
I think the more preferable route would be getting a veteran though. Picking up another young QB is not really going to benefit Thigpen or the team that much. If Thigpen gets hurt or fails next year (assuming they don't go QB early in the draft), it's going to be tough for that rookie to step in. A veteran would help more I think.

bored of education
11-04-2008, 08:44 AM
I think the more preferable route would be getting a veteran though. Picking up another young QB is not really going to benefit Thigpen or the team that much. If Thigpen gets hurt or fails next year (assuming they don't go QB early in the draft), it's going to be tough for that rookie to step in. A veteran would help more I think.

Very true. We will take Matt Cassell to back up TT!

Babylon
11-04-2008, 11:17 AM
I think we need one since Bordie Croyle is always injured and Damon Huard is about to transfer his 401k into an IRA and Quinn Gray hasn't been seen. Depth purposes I still pick one up.

I like the 401k to IRA referance there.

kmartin575
11-04-2008, 01:05 PM
I don't really think that would make much sense. Either Thigpen is your guy and you don't pick up anyone, or you are unsure whether he is your man and you pick up a franchise QB. Thigpen is young, so getting another young project QB doesn't really makes sense.

Tell that to Green Bay who drafted both Aaron Rodgers and Matt Flynn this year. Or how about the Chargers drafting Charlie Whitehurst in the 3rd round despite already having Rivers. Drafting another QB actually does make sense.

Forenci
11-04-2008, 01:20 PM
I really like Thigpen. I don't know if he'll manifest into a great quarterback, but I'd just take the 'wait and see' approach the rest of the season. If he really plays well and proves himself, then I say draft a player on the offensive or defensive line, if not, take Stafford if he falls to the Chiefs.

Still, give Thiggy a shot. I really like his poise in the pocket, plus he shows good athletic ability and accuracy throwing the ball as well.

Babylon
11-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Tell that to Green Bay who drafted both Aaron Rodgers and Matt Flynn this year. Or how about the Chargers drafting Charlie Whitehurst in the 3rd round despite already having Rivers. Drafting another QB actually does make sense.

Green Bay and San Diego have playoff caliber teams, the Chiefs need talent at so many other positions.

vidae
11-04-2008, 02:20 PM
If Stafford is there when we pick, we have to take him. I don't see Quinn Gray being on the roster next season. I like the suggestion Bengalsrocket gave, it's kind of like what Cinci did with Carson Palmer. Draft a guy high, let him learn the playbook, and fix your offensive line and get some weapons before you put him in. Didn't hurt Palmer, didn't hurt Aaron Rodgers. I actually like that route.

Reaching for Stafford would be a bad idea, but so would passing on him. If he is there when we pick, we have to take him. If he's not, we address DE or MLB and move on.

With all that being said, Thigpen has really impressed so far in the last few games. I'd like to see what he's capable of.

SuperKevin
11-04-2008, 03:23 PM
If Thigpen pans out you trade him like Atlanta traded Matt Schuab.

Race for the Heisman
11-04-2008, 04:02 PM
The other thing to consider is that none of these juniors have to come out. A few (or a lot) may due to the cap situation but right now it looks like the 2010 draft will be MUCH stronger in terms of quarterbacks than 2009. Therefore, waiting a year and shoring up a leaky offensive line or getting some viable weapons is an option as well.

KC:
1) Crabtree/Orakpo/Stafford
2) Sanchez/Linebacker(one of Maualuga, Laurinaitis, Spikes, or Curry; one should be here)/Robiskie
3) Beckwith/Wide Receiver(Byrd, Britt maybe)/Bomar

SMoore
11-04-2008, 04:22 PM

I assume you mean Brian Brohm.

But to argue the point, GB and SD already had their franchise QBs who they had spent first round picks on (SD also had Billy Volek, a proven veteran). Thigpen is a seventh round pick who has yet to prove that he is a franchise QBs. Either you take a franchise QB, or you give Thigpen a year and sign a veteran as a backup for insurance.

And just because they drafted them doesn't mean they makes sense. Brohm was a second round pick that got beat out by a seventh round pick, and Whitehurst has yet to see pt as a third round pick. For the time-being, wasted picks. Although, if an injury happens, yes they could prove to be good picks, if they succeed.

vidae
11-04-2008, 05:34 PM
If we're taking a QB, I would prefer it be a top of the first round caliber QB. We've drafted QBs in the second and third rounds (Brodie was our third round pick a few years ago) and they haven't panned out. Go for the absolute best QB in the draft if you're able and see where he leads you.

Orakpo does look promising though.. since we can't rush the passer at all..

Going to be another interesting Chiefs draft.

kmartin575
11-04-2008, 10:59 PM
If Thigpen pans out you trade him like Atlanta traded Matt Schuab.

Atlanta thought they had another option, Michael Vick. They wouldn't have traded Schaub if they knew about the dog fighting. If Thigpen pans out you keep him as your starting QB. Why the hell would we trade him?

SuperKevin
11-05-2008, 03:01 AM
Atlanta thought they had another option, Michael Vick. They wouldn't have traded Schaub if they knew about the dog fighting. If Thigpen pans out you keep him as your starting QB. Why the hell would we trade him?

Thigpen is still such an enigma that the Chiefs are almost forced to draft a QB early as a backup plan. You then sit that QB for a year to adapt to the NFL and if Thigpen has proved to be more than a fluke, you trade him for max value.

kmartin575
11-05-2008, 02:47 PM
Thigpen is still such an enigma that the Chiefs are almost forced to draft a QB early as a backup plan. You then sit that QB for a year to adapt to the NFL and if Thigpen has proved to be more than a fluke, you trade him for max value.

I would rather trade the other QB if Thigpen is the one who has already proven he can play, or keep both of them. Always need a good backup.

SuperKevin
11-05-2008, 04:27 PM
I would rather trade the other QB if Thigpen is the one who has already proven he can play, or keep both of them. Always need a good backup.

Yeah but you trade Thigpen before his huge payday.

vidae
11-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Croyle is an adequate backup. If he doesn't have to play much there is a smaller chance he gets injured.

Draft Stafford, have him learn the playbook for a season (or depending on how he's picking it up, half of the season) and then trade Thigpen when his value is highest.

IrishBrowns
11-06-2008, 11:41 PM
I could see the Chiefs getting Chris Wells. Larry Johnson is very expendable, and I could see them either giving Thigpen a chance or getting a QB in the 2nd

Cliche Guevara
11-07-2008, 10:36 PM
i say they wait another year and see how he fairs. If not good you make a serious run at Sam Bradford because he will be a stud in the nfl

Babylon
11-09-2008, 06:40 PM
I think i'll ask this question after every Chiefs game for the rest of the season. Is Thigpen a keeper or do you still pull the trigger on a QB at the top of the draft.

bored of education
11-09-2008, 06:43 PM
I think if Stafford(dpending on who declares)is gone you go in a different direction. Next year the Chiefs will have Quinn Gray, Damon Huard, Brodie Croyle and Thigpen on the roster so I think you keep the best of them and still rebuild the rest of the team. Fill some more holes and see if you get any progress out of the QB position.

Babylon
11-09-2008, 06:48 PM
Good call, obviously i'm a big Stafford fan and whoever doesnt take him is going to look stupid for the next couple of decades but i dont think i'd force it by taking a Bradford or a Sanchez.

T-RICH49
11-09-2008, 06:50 PM
I am thinking Thigpen has a shot at being our QBOTF

rockio42
11-09-2008, 06:57 PM
he looked damn good today, i think in my next mock I might have a different guy than Stafford or Bradford

Babylon
11-09-2008, 09:02 PM

As a Seattle fan i hope you're right. Now only if i can convince the Lions.

Brent
11-09-2008, 09:24 PM
As a Seattle fan i hope you're right. Now only if i can convince the Lions.
Possibly the Niners as well, depends on if Alice Smith comes back.

georgiafan
11-09-2008, 09:32 PM
I don't think Thigpen should turn you away from drafting a QB in the first round. It's not likely he is the long term answer even though he has played in the last few weeks. At worst he starts next year while the rookie QB learns the playbook and allows the other players to get better. If he is still playing good at that then you trade him for a high draft pick.

Habibi
11-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Matthew Stafford is going to the Lions or 49ers. If he goes to the Lions he'll probably fade into obscurity like the majority of their first round picks.

Forenci
11-10-2008, 06:48 PM
I understand it'd be tough to pass on Stafford if he fell to the Chiefs, but they have so many holes that they could fill with a top five pick. As of now, I wouldn't pass on Stafford if I was the Chiefs, but if Thigpen continues to play like this the entire season (a big if) I think the Chiefs then have the luxury to spend a top pick on some other big needs.

Lets not forget the Chiefs don't have a ton of great weapons on offense either, so that makes what Thigpen is doing even more impressive. Other than a great receiver in Bowe, and a great tight end in Gonzalez, do they really have any other legit weapons? The offensive line has actually really picked it up as of late though I'd say.

Splat
11-10-2008, 06:52 PM

I agree but all the love he has been getting is freaking me out he is bound to go down this week.:(

Basileus777
11-10-2008, 06:54 PM
The offensive line has actually really picked it up as of late though I'd say.

The oline has played a lot better with Thigpen in. Playing in the shotgun and having a mobile qb who gets rid of the ball quickly has definitely helped things.

Splat
11-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Lets not forget the Chiefs don't have a ton of great weapons on offense either, so that makes what Thigpen is doing even more impressive. Other than a great receiver in Bowe, and a great tight end in Gonzalez, do they really have any other legit weapons? The offensive line has actually really picked it up as of late though I'd say.

That was the case till three games ago.

Mark Bradley: Breaks Out With Chiefs (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=rotowire-arkradleyreaksutithh&prov=rotowire&type=fantasy)

We didn't even get him tell like week 3 or 4 and no body thought much of the move but he has really stepped up thanks Bears.:)

Cliche Guevara
11-11-2008, 03:04 PM
im glad to see a oklahoma player doing well

Race for the Heisman
11-11-2008, 03:19 PM
This always happens. The Bears let a player go and he blossoms somewhere else. Chris Harris, Justin Gage, maybe Mark Bradley now, too. Next thing you know Rex Grossman is going to 'figure it out' wherever he goes next and there will only be a 'Good Rex'...