PDA

View Full Version : Underrated Player of The Year

The Legend
11-03-2008, 05:23 AM
My vote goes to Chris Gamble

50 Tackles, 11 Pass Deflections - 1 Interception - 2 Fumble Recovies - 1 Touchdown

Who do you guys think is really underrated this year.

Caddy
11-03-2008, 05:33 AM
Barrett Ruud - MLB - Tampa Bay

71 Tackles - 2 Sacks - 2 Interceptions - 5 Pass Defs

He is starting to develop a reputation in the NFL, but I still think he is incredibly underrated. Probably due to the fact that there are so many other good, young MLBs in the NFC ie Beason, Willis, Tatupu etc.

Gay Ork Wang
11-03-2008, 06:37 AM
id prolly say Santana Moss

Caddy
11-03-2008, 07:13 AM
id prolly say Santana Moss

I don't know if I'd call him underrated. Just inconsistent.

BmoreBlackByrdz
11-03-2008, 07:19 AM
Id say Clinton Portis for how good he is doing and how nobody is talking about him for MVP, everyones taking about Brees but the Saints are 4-4 and Portis has lead his team to a solid record in a every tough division. Hes on pace for 1900 yards and thats pretty darn good. And what about Kurt Warner, quietly leading the Cardnails to a winning record(5-3) and first in the West, also only 100 passing yards behind Brees. Hes playing great football for his age and he is the reason the Cards are legit contenders.

Caddy
11-03-2008, 07:21 AM
Id say Clinton Portis for how good he is doing and how nobody is talking about him for MVP, everyones taking about Brees but the Saints are 4-4 and Portis has lead his team to a solid record in a every tough division. Hes on pace for 1900 yards and thats pretty darn good. And what about Kurt Warner, quietly leading the Cardnails to a winning record(5-3) and first in the West, also only 100 passing yards behind Brees. Hes playing great football for his age and he is the reason the Cards are legit contenders.

A LOT of people are talking about him for MVP...

Bengalsrocket
11-03-2008, 07:32 AM

I agree that both of these players are slightly underrated. I don't get it, Portis and Warner both have incredible resumes and it seems like people forget about them all the time.

Portis has rushed for over 1500 yards 3 times in his career, and each time he averaged over 4 yards a carry. And Warner despite having a fairly long and inconsistent career so far (due to injuries or being a back up etc.) just had a pretty decent year in 07'. In just 14 games he had put 27 TD's and 3500ish yards.

Bengalsrocket
11-03-2008, 07:34 AM
A LOT of people are talking about him for MVP...

In my experience, the only people that talk about Portis that much are on these boards. Outside of here, I see a lot of people talking up Phillip Rivers and Drew Brees!

eaglesalltheway
11-03-2008, 07:50 AM
In my experience, the only people that talk about Portis that much are on these boards. Outside of here, I see a lot of people talking up Phillip Rivers and Drew Brees!

In the past two weeks, most people have cooled on Philliip Rivers. Personally, Portis is a heavy contender right now IMO. He is leading if you ask me. Not and NFC East bias either...

SeanTaylorRIP
11-03-2008, 08:03 AM
Carlos Rogers and Rocky McIntosh. Both are young and had career threatening knee injuries but now Rogers IMO would be easy top 10 corner on everyone's list if he didn't have severe case of the dropsies, and McIntosh is so good in every facet of the game. I would hardly call Moss or Portis underrated though. I think Haloti Ngata is underrated. Obviously Fat Albert gets all the pub and deservingly so, but Ngata might be the second most disruptive interior lineman but no one talks about him. He is so versatile to able to play down any position on the D-line. Oh and btw he is now on offense in goal line situations as an extra blocker and yesterday they even ran a PA to him in the corner of the endzone but he was covered. A testament to his athleticism despite his size.

Sniper
11-03-2008, 08:04 AM
Sheldon Brown, Donovan McNabb, Juqua Parker and Quintin Mikell for the Eagles.

bored of education
11-03-2008, 08:06 AM
For The Chiefs: Umm no one. Those who are expected to do solid are doing solid those who sucks are sucking.

Hawk
11-03-2008, 08:27 AM
Kerry Collins and Stephen Tulloch of the Titans.

Collins is the perfect fit for the Titans right now.

keylime_5
11-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Sheldon Brown, Donovan McNabb, Juqua Parker and Quintin Mikell for the Eagles.

brown for sure.

bigbluedefense
11-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Barrett Rudd
Juqua Parker
Stewart Bradley
Quentin Mikell
Rocky McIntosh
Dave Tollefson
Corey Webster
David Diehl
Andre Carter
Tanard Jackson
Jon Beason
Jerious Norwood

theres tons more, i just threw some names out there.

abaddon41_80
11-03-2008, 09:01 AM
Frank Gore doesn't get the recognition he deserves. 629 rushing yards (8th in the league), 4.6 yards per carry (5th among backs with 100+ carries), 4 rushing touchdowns, 940 yards from scrimmage (2nd), 32 receptions (3rd among running backs), and 9.7 yards per catch. All of this on a team with a pretty bad offensive line besides one player, a terrible quarterback, and no other weapons on offense. He deserves to be in the Pro Bowl along with Portis and AP but MB3 will get the other spot because it's a popularity contest

bored of education
11-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Frank Gore doesn't get the recognition he deserves. 629 rushing yards (8th in the league), 4.6 yards per carry (5th among backs with 100+ carries), 4 rushing touchdowns, 940 yards from scrimmage (2nd), 32 receptions (3rd among running backs), and 9.7 yards per catch. All of this on a team with a pretty bad offensive line besides one player, a terrible quarterback, and no other weapons on offense. He deserves to be in the Pro Bowl along with Portis and AP but MB3 will get the other spot because it's a popularity contest

Some people on this board say he is a top 3 or 4 rb in the NFL. So he gets his due.

Caddy
11-03-2008, 09:04 AM
Barrett Rudd
Juqua Parker
Stewart Bradley
Quentin Mikell
Rocky McIntosh
Dave Tollefson
Corey Webster
David Diehl
Andre Carter
Tanard Jackson
Jon Beason
Jerious Norwood

theres tons more, i just threw some names out there.

I definitely agree with Webster. I don't know what happened last year, but he has improved drastically from this point last year to right now.

Woody56
11-03-2008, 09:07 AM
Jets DE Shaun Ellis

Is a apart of the #4 run defense and has 7 sacks through 8 games as a 3-4 DE which is incredible.

bored of education
11-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Jets DE Shaun Ellis

Is a apart of the #4 run defense and has 7 sacks through 8 games as a 3-4 DE which is incredible.

Kris Jenkins is the MVP of your defense(or Revis)

SeanTaylorRIP
11-03-2008, 09:12 AM
Kerry Collins and Stephen Tulloch of the Titans.

Collins is the perfect fit for the Titans right now.

I wouldn't say Collins is underrated. We all know what he is. He is a vet who won't win you any games, but won't lose you any at the same token. I can't say he's underrated. He is recognized by all for providing much needed stability to the QB spot, but he isn't much more. The Titans are winning because of their defense and run game. I give Collins credit for keeping the team organized and managing the game, but I can't give him anything more.

LonghornsLegend
11-03-2008, 09:12 AM

Yep, not because he's good or anything...I wish people would stop crying about guys not getting in the pro bowl before it even happened, if Barber makes it it's because he's a good player deal with it, coaches and players can vote too...Cry when Barber makes an All-Pro team over Frank Gore.

My underrated player of the year so far has been Joey Porter...He is putting up gaudy sack numbers when most thought he was finished, he's a big reason why that defense is clicking.

Woody56
11-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Kris Jenkins is the MVP of your defense(or Revis)

Jenkins is the MVP, but Ellis is underrated

Caddy
11-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Yep, not because he's good or anything...I wish people would stop crying about guys not getting in the pro bowl before it even happened, if Barber makes it it's because he's a good player deal with it, coaches and players can vote too...Cry when Barber makes an All-Pro team over Frank Gore.

My underrated player of the year so far has been Jerry Porter...He is putting up gaudy sack numbers when most thought he was finished, he's a big reason why that defense is clicking.

Jerry Porter plays both ways???? ZOMG!

LonghornsLegend
11-03-2008, 09:31 AM

Damnit! :( lol

giantsfan
11-03-2008, 09:31 AM
I definitely agree with Webster. I don't know what happened last year, but he has improved drastically from this point last year to right now.

We got rid of Tim Lewis who would play him 10 yards off the line of scrimmage, and Webster doesn't have the hips or agility to succeed with that type of a cushion. Now that he's allowed to press guys more he's infinitely more comfortable and effective, he's thinking less and just playing football.

Gay Ork Wang
11-03-2008, 09:33 AM
Jerry Porter likes it both ways the best

iloxygenil
11-03-2008, 09:33 AM
Ovie Mughelli FB Atlanta Falcons. The guy goes to work and destroys LBs leading the way for Turner and the Falcons vicious rushing attack. Everyone is getting credit in the turn around in Atlanta except him, he's played a big part in pass protection and in the run game. Impressive FB.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-03-2008, 09:34 AM
Ovie Mughelli FB Atlanta Falcons. The guy goes to work and destroys LBs leading the way for Turner and the Falcons vicious rushing attack. Everyone is getting credit in the turn around in Atlanta except him, he's played a big part in pass protection and in the run game. Impressive FB.

I thought Ovie was a top 5 run blocking FB in Baltimore and I'm sure that hasn't changed. Saw the box score, nice to see my boy JSnell got some carries. He is kind of a tweener, not a great blocker but lacks the speed to be a HB, but he is a solid short yardage option. I don't know what you guys list him as. Probably FB.

iloxygenil
11-03-2008, 09:37 AM
I thought Ovie was a top 5 run blocking FB in Baltimore and I'm sure that hasn't changed. Saw the box score, nice to see my boy JSnell got some carries. He is kind of a tweener, not a great blocker but lacks the speed to be a HB, but he is a solid short yardage option. I don't know what you guys list him as. Probably FB.

I think he could play on a LOT of teams, and if he weren't in Atlanta he'd be getting more touches, the guy is what TJ Duckett was supposed to be. He's a monster doesn't wait, and just runs over players. He kills. I love watching him run the ball, it's nice for Atlanta because we're 4 backs deep (when Brown is healthy) that was a major area of interest for the Falcons in the preseason would we keep 4 backs or not, Snelling is way overlooked, he's leading the NFL in ST tackles this year, and it's not just shoestring tackles either, he's a hitter. But his ability to play FB and RB make him a great weapon for the Falcons, Snelling gets on the field quite a bit already spelling Ovie. Don't wanna turn this into a Falcons thread, but Snelling is a beast.

bigbluedefense
11-03-2008, 10:23 AM

I can't explain it either. Im shocked as well. He's playing like a top 5 CB in the league this year. Amazing turnaround since the playoffs last year.

themaninblack
11-03-2008, 11:37 AM
If it's possible to name someone from the Bengals it would have to be Chinedum Ndukwe. The 7th RD draft pick has been an absolute steal ever since being drafted.

tjsunstein
11-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Kurt Warner for sure.
D'Qwell Jackson?
Wes Welker. Even with Brady out he's producing.
Owen Daniels
Jordyzzz - kidding, sort of.

abaddon41_80
11-03-2008, 12:40 PM

I didn't say Barber wasn't good, just that he isn't as good as Gore.

703SKINS202
11-03-2008, 12:45 PM
Owen Daniels for sure

ThePudge
11-03-2008, 12:53 PM
As the Bengals fan before me stated, Chinedum Ndukwe has been very good for us, and he's still learning. I don't like Dexter Jackson, but I think he's made the Bengals better through tutoring Ndukwe.

Still, I have a different name to add from the Bengals, where bright spots have been hard to come by.

I'm referring to rookie DT Pat Sims, who has been excellent since activated. Sims, along with Domata Peko, have taken away the need to draft a Defensive Tackle in 2009. In all of four games, Pat Sims has recorded 17 Tackles (13 solo) and a sack. This has been in part-time duty. He looks to have a bright future with the Bengals.

Sniper
11-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Owen Daniels for sure

A Redskins fan posting reminded me to mention Carlos Rogers. He's been really good this year. If he didn't have stone hands, he'd have at least a half dozen picks, and he's doing a good job in coverage.

703SKINS202
11-03-2008, 01:00 PM
A Redskins fan posting reminded me to mention Carlos Rogers. He's been really good this year. If he didn't have stone hands, he'd have at least a half dozen picks, and he's doing a good job in coverage.

Yea I tried to stay homer free but you are right he is having his best season by far and its funny cause hes coming back from a season ending knee injury. Don't know why he can't catch an int but at least he is shutting down some of the leagues best with Springs being out so much. I hope he can win most improved or comeback player of the year.

PoopSandwich
11-03-2008, 02:09 PM
I'd have to say Kerry Collins is doing a great job not losing the Titans games, but I would say the runningbacks on that team are underrated.

As for a homer pick, Shaun Rogers for a third rounder and Leigh Bodden? I think we made out pretty damn well on that deal.

T-RICH49
11-03-2008, 02:12 PM
For The Chiefs: Umm no one. Those who are expected to do solid are doing solid those who sucks are sucking.

well said :D

NY+Giants=NYG
11-03-2008, 02:16 PM
Webster and Robbins. Robbins has took a huge step in improving even more this season. Now we have steady inside pressure to go along with Kiwi, Tuck, and Tollefson.

BlindSite
11-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Charles Godfrey is underrated, though I agree with Chris Gamble. Godfrey comes to play every game and is a big part of the reason why our defense is number 3 overall for points allowed.

holt_bruce81
11-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Ron Bartell

Might seem like a homer but you try covering Lee Evans, Santana Moss, Terrell Owens, Randy Moss and Larry Fitzgerald in the span of 5 weeks.

Rayray52
11-03-2008, 04:07 PM
Kurt Warner for sure.
D'Qwell Jackson?
Wes Welker. Even with Brady out he's producing.
Owen Daniels
Jordyzzz - kidding, sort of.

Ask anybody who watches browns games and theyll tell you his tackle numbers are misleading as hell, hes terrible in pass coverage and takes brutal angles if anything hes overated.

11-03-2008, 04:09 PM
Ask anybody who watches browns games and theyll tell you his tackle numbers are misleading as hell, hes terrible in pass coverage and takes brutal angles if anything hes overated.

BUT he's a fantasy stud so that's all that matters. :rolleyes:

AlexDown
11-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Chad Pennington

ThePudge
11-03-2008, 04:35 PM
How about Atlanta CB Brent Grimes?

A 2nd year player out of a very small school, Shippensburg. He may not be playing like a Pro Bowler, but he's removing Atlanta's need to draft a CB high in next year's draft or go after a high-profile free agent. Grimes has flown under the radar and is playing solid football for an Atlanta team that was thought to have no chance at six wins this season.

32 Tackles (30 Solo) 3 TFL 6 PD and 1 Int.

That's one.

Kevin Walter, WR, Houston Texans

- Walter is a bit older than Grimes and has already spent time with a couple other teams, but he's been playing some good football in Andre Johnson's shadow. The former Cincinnati special teams ace is producing this year as a receiver. At only 27 though, you have to ask what the future could bring for the tough wideout.

33 rec 410 yds 12.4 avg 5 Td thus far

This after a year in which he compiled 800 yards. He doesn't have what it takes to be #1, but you could be looking at the next Joe Jurevicius. He's a solid #2 in Houston and could be the 3rd receiver almost anywhere the way he's playing.

My third and final for right now is Le'Ron McClain in Baltimore.

McClain is a second year RB/FB in Baltimore. I loved McClain at Alabama, and it hurt to see him go to a division rival. Still, it surprises me to see McClain used this actively and this successfully by the Ravens. He's now lining up as a Running Back most times and is used to wear down the opposing defense. This is working for McClain and the Ravens, seeing as he has been producing...

92 car 347 yds 5 Td; 14 rec 82 yds.

McClain is second on the team in scoring, behind only Kicker, Matt Stover. He hasn't had a breakout 100 yard game yet, but that's not his job. His job is to wear down opposing defenses so that Willis McGahee and Ray Rice can break big runs. Disturbingly, for me as a Bengals fan, this works. While McClain too isn't a Pro Bowler, his work has gone relatively uncredited. To me, he's the reason the Baltimore run game has a pulse in addition to being a nice security blanket out of the backfield.

tjsunstein
11-03-2008, 04:44 PM

Yeah, I haven't seen any full browns games this year that's why I put a question mark next to his name. I figured there was a reason that he had those numbers and no one said one bit about him.

throwback54milkman
11-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Jerricho Cotchery is mad good

iloxygenil
11-03-2008, 05:20 PM
How about Atlanta CB Brent Grimes?

A 2nd year player out of a very small school, Shippensburg. He may not be playing like a Pro Bowler, but he's removing Atlanta's need to draft a CB high in next year's draft or go after a high-profile free agent. Grimes has flown under the radar and is playing solid football for an Atlanta team that was thought to have no chance at six wins this season.

32 Tackles (30 Solo) 3 TFL 6 PD and 1 Int.

That's one.

Sorry, he's not even our Nickel Corner anymore. The player who is making us not need to draft a corner next year is Foxworth. Chevis Jackson has played some really good football from the nickel spot, and a light came on for Chris Houston in the Kansas City game. I like Grimes, he's just too easy to pick on at 5'8. He has that many tackles because he can't stop the WRs from getting the ball. I like the guy a lot and had high hopes, but Foxworth has played lights out 2 weeks in a row as the starter.

d34ng3l021
11-03-2008, 06:45 PM
Tanard Jackson. I have not watched too many TB games, but he makes his presence felt in the games I have seen (Falcons game. Saints game. A couple last year?). He is going to establish himself as a top safety in a couple of years.

dunagan15
11-03-2008, 06:54 PM
Brent Grimes sucks. Thats all.

Thigamahjigee
11-03-2008, 06:56 PM
Ovie Mughelli, Jerious Norwood, and Jonathan Babineaux from Atlanta.

Caddy
11-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Ovie Mughelli, Jerious Norwood, and Jordan Babineaux from Atlanta.

Jordan plays for Seattle, I guess you mean Johnathan. I completely agree. One of the more underrated players in the league IMO.

Thigamahjigee
11-03-2008, 07:01 PM
Jordan plays for Seattle, I guess you mean Johnathan. I completely agree. One of the more underrated players in the league IMO.

Whoops, my mistake. Not to mention OG Harvey Dahl. He has some stupid penalties because he plays long after the whistle, but the man is a force in the run game and a good pass-protector.

d34ng3l021
11-03-2008, 07:22 PM
Looks like we have a new Falcons fan...

Jonathan Babineaux is a beast. Leads the league in TFL I believe.

Loggerhead
11-03-2008, 08:15 PM
Mewelde Moore- 5.0 ypc, 65 carries for 323 yds, 3 tds. After we lost Fast Willie and Mendenhall, Moore stepped in and has done a hell of a job.

katnip
11-03-2008, 08:59 PM
I'd say... D'Brick Ferguson... The Jets OT/LT

Toneloc498
11-03-2008, 08:59 PM
Kevin Walter- Guy is just good, does not drop many balls and makes the best of situations when the ball comes his way (hes pretty solid at blocking too).

Fred Robbins- One of the more underrated DTs if not the most underrated in the league. Has 20 tackles, 5.5 sacks already, 5 tackles for loss and 2 PD's already with 2 messed up hands. He just disrupts the line and causes tons of inside pressure, very quick for his size.

Darren Howard- While not a great run stopper he has done very well in pass rushing situations, he is pretty quick and has some nice moves. Very impressed with him so far this season, has 6.5 sacks already.