PDA

View Full Version : all-rookie team

OSUGiants17
11-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Make a team of only this years rookies, go!
my team
QB- Matt Ryan
RB- Chris Johnson, Tim Hightower
FB- Peyton Hillis
WR- Donnie Avery, Eddie Royal, DeSean Jackson
TE- John Carlson
OT- Jake Long
OG- idk
C- idk
OG- idk
OT- Branden Albert

DE- Chris Long
DT- Sedrick Ellis
DT- Glenn Dorsey
DE- Lawrence Jackson
OLB- Keith Rivers
ILB- Curtis Lofton
OLB- Bryan Kehl
CB- Dwight Lowery
FS- Kenny Phillips
SS- Chris Horton
CB- Brandon Flowers

Sniper
11-03-2008, 10:23 AM
This couldn't go in the Rookie Watch thread?

TACKLE
11-03-2008, 10:30 AM
QB - Matt Ryan
RB - Chris Johnson, Jonathan Stewart
WR - Eddie Royal, DeSean Jackson
TE - Dustin Keller
OT - Jake Long, Jeff Otah
G - Mike Pollack
C - ???

DE - Chris Long, Trevor Scott
DT - Sedrick Ellis, Glenn Dorsey
LB - Jerod Mayo, Curtis Lofton, Gary Guyton
CB - Brandon Flowers, Aqib Talib
S - Chris Horton, Kenny Phillips

bigbluedefense
11-03-2008, 10:47 AM
QB- Matt Ryan
RB- Chris Johnson, Tim Hightower
TE- Marcellus Bennett

LT- Ryan Clady
LG- Brandon Albert
C- ?
RG-?
RT- Jake Long

WR- DeSean Jackson
WR- Eddie Royal
WR- Jordyzz

LE- Chris Long
NT- Glenn Dorsey
UT - Sedrick Ellis
RE - Quentin Groves

WILL- Keith Rivers
MIKE - Jarod Mayo
SAM - Dan Connor?

CB- Antoine Cason <3
CB- Brandon Flowers
FS- Kenny Phillips
SS- Chris Horton

thats actually a damn good team.

Bruce Banner
11-03-2008, 10:48 AM
I want Zuttah to be on this team but I couldn't justify overlooking a player that has played every game.

I guess you could put Talib at nickel?

bigbluedefense
11-03-2008, 10:53 AM
I want Zuttah to be on this team but I couldn't justify overlooking a player that has played every game.

I guess you could put Talib at nickel?

forgot about Talib. He's ahead of Jenkins *edits*

bigbluedefense
11-03-2008, 10:53 AM
actually, Flowers is ahead of both of them.

MetSox17
11-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Anyone else find it ironic that the three rookie WR's playing and producing the best are the ones that were thought to be too small/frail to succeed in the NFL? The big guys (Thomas, Kelly, Sweed, Hardy) combined, wouldn't make the impact DeSean or Royal have made.

bigbluedefense
11-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Anyone else find it ironic that the three rookie WR's playing and producing the best are the ones that were thought to be too small/frail to succeed in the NFL? The big guys (Thomas, Kelly, Sweed, Hardy) combined, wouldn't make the impact DeSean or Royal have made.

Im more surprised about Steve Slaton at RB.

iowatreat54
11-03-2008, 11:02 AM
I guess I can see Jonathon Stewart, but Hightower over both Forte and Slaton?

is this just based on who you would want or who is actually doing well?

Caddy
11-03-2008, 11:02 AM
QB: Matt Ryan
RB: Chris Johnson + Johnathan Stewart
FB: Peyton Hillis
WR: Eddie Royal
LT: Sam Baker
LG: ?
C: ?
RG: Jeremy Zuttah
RT: Jeff Otah
TE: John Carlson
WR: Donnie Avery/DeSean Jackson

DE: Chris Long
DT: Sedrick Ellis
DT: Glenn Dorsey
DE: Kendall Langford (maybe DT in 4-3?)
OLB: Curtis Lofton (Not a OLB but he nobody else springs to mind)
MLB: Jerod Mayo
OLB: Keith Rivers
CB: Aqib Talib
FS: Kenny Phillips
SS: Chris Horton
CB: Brandon Flowers

bigbluedefense
11-03-2008, 11:04 AM
I guess I can see Jonathon Stewart, but Hightower over both Forte and Slaton?

is this just based on who you would want or who is actually doing well?

change of pace guy. Slaton is not better than Johnson as a speed guy, and I prefer Hightower as a bruiser over Forte's overall game. I made my list as a combo deal, who compliments who the best, moreso than a production type of thing.

iowatreat54
11-03-2008, 11:07 AM
change of pace guy. Slaton is not better than Johnson as a speed guy, and I prefer Hightower as a bruiser over Forte's overall game. I made my list as a combo deal, who compliments who the best, moreso than a production type of thing.

ok, that's all I was looking for and it makes sense...I just opened the thread assuming it was "make the all rookie team" based on rookie seasons so far and what they have accomplished, not personal preference/team creation

T-RICH49
11-03-2008, 11:13 AM
actually, Flowers is ahead of both of them.

I thank god most teams thought Flowers was too slow to play CB.he's a beast

Bruce Banner
11-03-2008, 11:31 AM

What system of defense do the Chiefs run?

bigbluedefense
11-03-2008, 11:32 AM

yeah but Herm Edwards is your coach.

Womp Womp Womp.

lmao but seriously, I liked Flowers a lot. I actually liked him as a FS. he'd be a monster FS too.

Someone from the Giants team board brought that idea up, I forgot who.

bored of education
11-03-2008, 11:32 AM

He has game speed. Ran a 4.51 i think at the combine. They run an awesome defense!

NY+Giants=NYG
11-03-2008, 11:33 AM

4-3 Cover 2 base defense

vidae
11-03-2008, 11:35 AM

Womp Womp Womp.

lmao but seriously, I liked Flowers a lot. I actually liked him as a FS. he'd be a monster FS too.

Herm Edwards is a great coach.

Bruce Banner
11-03-2008, 11:37 AM
He has game speed. Ran a 4.51 i think at the combine. They run an awesome defense!

Considering that 70% of a CBs job is running backwards, I don't care about a straightline 40. If you have to run straight that usually means you are chasing someone who just burned (burnt?) you.

fenikz
11-03-2008, 11:38 AM
ya kind of hard to justify putting Hightower on a list right now, he is 3rd in the league for rushing TDs but has only got more than 10 carries 1 time

at the end of the certainly, god what a backfield he and Johnson would be

bored of education
11-03-2008, 11:38 AM
Considering that 70% of a CBs job is running backwards, I don't care about a straightline 40. If you have to run straight that usually means you are chasing someone who just burned you.

TRUE MAN!!!!!!!

/me mounts Bruce Banner

fenikz
11-03-2008, 11:40 AM
i've often wondered why the combine doesn't have more position related drills, maybe like a 10 yard back pedal turn 30 yard sprint

bigbluedefense
11-03-2008, 11:41 AM
Herm Edwards is a great coach.

tell that to Jets fans.

He's an ok coach, but he's a terrible game manager and decision maker in games. I like his defense though. He just needs a really good OC and qb.

bored of education
11-03-2008, 11:41 AM
i've often wondered why the combine doesn't have more position related drills, maybe like a 10 yard back pedal turn 30 yard sprint

wow you are amazing fenikz. you should be a gm

Bruce Banner
11-03-2008, 11:42 AM

They have them do drills but those results don't make the press.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8073f662

fenikz
11-03-2008, 11:46 AM
wow you are amazing fenikz. you should be a gm

I really should the fact that I got Mike Jenkins, Jonathan Stewart, Duane Brown and Kendal Langford with my 1st 4 picks in the mock thing last year really solidified my thoughts on that

iloxygenil
11-03-2008, 11:51 AM
I'm glad you know players who got drafted, but your teams SUCK. You have multiple injured players who haven't produced at all. These are attrocious

Bengalsrocket
11-03-2008, 11:55 AM

I don't think that's a fair assessment of the current situation. Neither DeSean nor Royal were projected to be great #1 receivers, due to lack of size (The smaller you are, the easier it is to cover you). As such assumptions were made, they have not been proven wrong - neither DeSean nor Royal have been covered by #1 corners yet. Meanwhile, both have had more opportunities to succeed than any of the other receivers thus far.

Also two things to remember:

Obviously not everyone thought they would be to small/frail to succeed in the NFL because they both were picked up in the second round.

And, we're only 8 games into their rookie year - in 2-5 years we may all be saying Thomas / Kelly / Sweed / Hardy are the top 4 receivers in the league :P (obviously a stretch, just making a point)

UKfan
11-03-2008, 11:59 AM
C - Steve Justice

He didn't look too bad for our patchwork line earlier on.

cunningham06
11-03-2008, 12:19 PM
Someone who has gotten no recognition in this thread so far is Charles Godfrey. While he may not be better than Kenny Phillips, he has quietly been putting together an excellent season.

CJSchneider
11-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Sorry guys - what are yall smokin' not to have Forte in there as a lock with Chris Johnson?

LonghornsLegend
11-03-2008, 01:45 PM
They have them do drills but those results don't make the press.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8073f662

That and people around here seem to never care about those numbers as much as 40 time...That's why I like NFL Network because they show all those agility drills and you can form your own opinion.

Number 10
11-03-2008, 01:53 PM
Have you guys really seen anything out of Dorsey that you're impressed with? Or is it that you just can't think of another rookie DT?

Number 10
11-03-2008, 01:54 PM
Someone who has gotten no recognition in this thread so far is Charles Godfrey. While he may not be better than Kenny Phillips, he has quietly been putting together an excellent season.

Agreed-

I would actually put Godfrey ahead of Phillips at this point as he has had a more play-by-play impact than Phillips.

vidae
11-03-2008, 01:58 PM
Have you guys really seen anything out of Dorsey that you're impressed with? Or is it that you just can't think of another rookie DT?

He hasn't been lights out but he hasn't been terrible either. People look at rushing defense and assume Dorsey has been a bust. Far from it.

bigbluedefense
11-03-2008, 01:58 PM
You know who gets no love from last year's safety class? Tanard Jackson.

I forgot about Godfrey, good call on that.

As for Dorsey, I heard he's doing good things, its just that the team around him sucks. Im a big fan of Trevor Laws, but he barely sees the field.

T-RICH49
11-03-2008, 02:04 PM
He hasn't been lights out but he hasn't been terrible either. People look at rushing defense and assume Dorsey has been a bust. Far from it.

agreed.our LB's and DE's have done the most damage to our run defense

T-RICH49
11-03-2008, 02:32 PM

they run a mix of a tampa 2 but with Carr and Flowers have gone more man this year

bigbluedefense
11-03-2008, 02:36 PM
they run a mix of a tampa 2 but with Carr and Flowers have gone more man this year

the traditional tampa 2 as a whole is a dying playcall among Tampa 2 teams. its still used, but not nearly in the same magnitude as it used to be used in.

NY+Giants=NYG
11-03-2008, 02:57 PM
the traditional tampa 2 as a whole is a dying playcall among Tampa 2 teams. its still used, but not nearly in the same magnitude as it used to be used in.

Yeah because your mike has to be very smart, and very, very athletic to go back and forth to the hole and/or to the LOS to stop the run. It pretty much in essence is a base C3 system. Not to mention once you get the RB going you can then use PA to catch the mike in no man's land and run all sorts of passing concepts then. So it is a tough system, and you need a sick DC, and the right personnel, if not perfect to run it.

bigbluedefense
11-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Yeah because your mike has to be very smart, and very, very athletic to go back and forth to the hole and/or to the LOS to stop the run. It pretty much in essence is a base C3 system. Not to mention once you get the RB going you can then use PA to catch the mike in no man's land and run all sorts of passing concepts then. So it is a tough system, and you need a sick DC, and the right personnel, if not perfect to run it.

i like to think of it in a simpler way: Cover 2 sucks.

UKfan
11-03-2008, 03:03 PM
OSU, update your front page and get Steve Justice in as your C sucka!

Gay Ork Wang
11-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Im disappointed, i have yet to see Jordy nElson

bigbluedefense
11-03-2008, 03:05 PM
Im disappointed, i have yet to see Jordy nElson

he was on my team.

he wears the captain badge.

Gay Ork Wang
11-03-2008, 03:14 PM
he was on my team.

he wears the captain badge.
the team wears the jordy badge

keylime_5
11-03-2008, 03:26 PM
fullback- Peyton Hillis.
one man all-rookie team.

holt_bruce81
11-03-2008, 03:27 PM
No love for Pat Sims?

ThePudge
11-03-2008, 04:14 PM
QB - Matt Ryan (Falcons) 3rd Overall (1st Rd.)
- 133-227 58.6% 1661 yds 9 Td 5 Int 85.4 rating; 24 car 56 yds 2.3 avg

QB - Joe Flacco (Ravens) 18th Overall (1st Rd.)
- 136-220 61.8% 1464 yds 5 Td 7 Int 75.6 rating; 28 car 77 yds 2.8 avg 2 Td

RB - Chris Johnson (Titans) 25th Overall (1st Rd.)
- 146 car 715 yds 4.9 avg 5 Td; 24 rec 164 yds 6.8 avg 1 Td;

RB - Matt Forte (Bears) 44th Overall (2nd Rd.)
- 169 car 641 yds 3.8 avg 4 Td; 30 rec 228 yds 7.6 avg 2 Td

WR - DeSean Jackson (Eagles) 49th Overall (2nd Rd.)
- 34 rec 525 yds 15.4 avg 1 Td; 11.0 PR avg 1 TD on 27 returns; 7 car 53 yds 7.6 avg

WR - Eddie Royal (Broncos) 42nd Overall (2nd Rd.)
- 46 rec 461 yds 10.0 avg 3 Td; 13.8 PR avg on 10 returns; 35.0 KR avg on 5 returns

WR - Donnie Avery (Rams) 34th Overall (2nd Rd.)
- 23 rec 363 yds 15.8 avg 2 Td; 5 car 48 yds 9.6 avg 1 Td

TE - John Carlson (Seahawks) 38th Overall (2nd Rd.)
- 22 rec 244 yds 11.1 avg 2 Td

OL - Jake Long (Dolphins)
OL - Ryan Clady (Broncos)
OL - Branden Albert (Chiefs)
OL - Jeremy Zuttah (Broncos)
OL - Jeff Otah (Panthers)

DE - Chris Long (Rams) 2nd Overall (1st Rd.)
- 28 Tackles 4.0 Sacks

DT - Glenn Dorsey (Chiefs) 5th Overall (1st Rd.)
- 22 Tackles 2 TFL 1 FF

DT - Pat Sims (Bengals) 77th Overall (3rd Rd.)
- 18 Tackles 1.0 Sack 2 TFL in four games, 0 starts

DE - Trevor Scott (Raiders) 169th Overall (6th Rd.)
- 15 Tackles 3.0 Sacks

LB - Jerod Mayo (Patriots) 10th Overall (1st Rd.)
- 59 Tackles (46 Solo) 1 TFL

LB - Curtis Lofton (Falcons) 37th Overall (2nd Rd.)
- 47 Tackles (36 Solo) 1.0 Sack 2 TFL

LB - Keith Rivers (Bengals) 9th Overall (1st Rd.)
- 37 Tackles (24 Solo) 2 TFL 1 FF 1 Int

DB - Dwight Lowery (Jets) 114th Overall (4th Rd.)
- 43 Tackles (37 solo) 2 FF 9 PD

DB - Chris Horton (Redskins) 249th Overall (7th Rd.)
- 37 Tackles 3 TFL 4 PD 3 Int

DB - Brandon Carr (Chiefs) 140th Overall (5th Rd.)
- 39 Tackles (37 Solo) 2 TFL 5 PD 2 Int

DB - Brandon Flowers (Chiefs) 35th Overall (2nd Rd.)
- 37 Tackles 6 PD 2 Int 1 Td

Notes -

- I wanted to add Kendall Langford as my 2nd DE, still I'd rather open everyone's eyes to a lesser known player doing big things in Oakland, Trevor Scott. Langford has been good though and has the chance to be a good player in Miami for years to come.

- Tennessee's Jason Jones is up there also in the DE/DT race though he hasn't gotten much recognition.

- I'd advise against Sedrick Ellis on these lists. Ellis was a tremendous prospect, but he hasn't produced just yet though he's been nicked up a bit. Tracy Porter was the most active rookie defender on that team until his injury.

- Marcus Harrison has played well as the Bears DT, well enough to receive my recognition for whatever that's worth. Still, he seems to be a bit behind the active Dorsey and Sims.

- Aqib Talib, Kenny Phillips, and Charles Godfrey have each had their moments, have played well, and are right up there. Still, it's tough to remove Carr, Flowers, Horton, or Lowery at this point.

- Browns OLB Alex Hall may not have been well known before the draft, but he is quickly erasing the Browns need for another pass-rushing OLB after the season. The 6th Round pick has just 16 Tackles, but has added 3 Sacks in spot duty.

- Fullback is a tough one, so I chose not to go there and instead add an extra receiver. Peyton Hillis has made some noise with the Broncos, though he still receives minimal touches. Against Miami he caught 7 balls for 116 yds and a Td..

Gay Ork Wang
11-03-2008, 04:19 PM
Zack Bowman averages 1 INt and 1 Fumble Recovery+TD per game he plays. Pure awesomeness!

NY+Giants=NYG
11-03-2008, 05:19 PM

Yeah not a fan of the C2 zone base defense. I like the style the Eagles and our team uses on defense. For a 3-4 I love Blitzburgh, with Dick laBeau. He is one of my all time favorite Dcs.

BeerBaron
11-03-2008, 05:20 PM
thats fine, just keep sleeping on Forte.

bigbluedefense
11-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Yeah not a fan of the C2 zone base defense. I like the style the Eagles and our team uses on defense. For a 3-4 I love Blitzburgh, with Dick laBeau. He is one of my all time favorite Dcs.

Ive always said from day 1 that my favorite defenses are the 3-4 (both the Parcells 2 gap 3-4, and LeBeau's ZB 3-4), and the 46 and its variations.

Never a big fan of Cover 2. Although I do like the Bears defense a lot. And the Titans and Vikings. But their defenses aren't real Tampa 2 defenses to me.

Also, as much as I rip Cover 2, i don't really despise it anymore. I learned to appreciate its beauty. Its still not my cup of tea though.

bigbluedefense
11-03-2008, 06:04 PM
the team wears the jordy badge

I wear Jordy Nelson sponsored condoms when doin the old lady. It makes me feel more like a man.

NY+Giants=NYG
11-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Ive always said from day 1 that my favorite defenses are the 3-4 (both the Parcells 2 gap 3-4, and LeBeau's ZB 3-4), and the 46 and its variations.

Never a big fan of Cover 2. Although I do like the Bears defense a lot. And the Titans and Vikings. But their defenses aren't real Tampa 2 defenses to me.

Also, as much as I rip Cover 2, i don't really despise it anymore. I learned to appreciate its beauty. Its still not my cup of tea though.

It's system is based on under sized speed guys. You can run a boat load of 4-3 fronts too. From 4-3, 4-3 over, under, wide, stacked, and so on.. The list goes on, and then run C2 zone, C 2 man, C2 soft, C2 hard and so on too.

So you can do alot of different things with the system, but I am not a fan of the personnel for the system, and the Cbs aren't aggressive enough. Collison, funnel, sink, isn't my favorite for teaching Cbs.

Another element is predicated upon the front 4 for a good pass rush, while the Lbs spot drop and cover the funneled skill players. The system is't quite what I like and no amount of stats will convince me. I am not saying it's not good, I just don't personally like it.

Bruce Banner
11-03-2008, 06:28 PM
As long as the Tampa 2 continues to deliver top 10 Ds in.....Tampa. I am content.

NY+Giants=NYG
11-03-2008, 06:37 PM
As long as the Tampa 2 continues to deliver top 10 Ds in.....Tampa. I am content.

Well you guys have a legend as a DC. In my opinion there are 3 legend DCs out there. Jim Johnson, Dick LaBeau, and Monte Kiffin. All of them with different systems but productive. It's alot harder though to duplicate the personnel with a Tampa 2, but alot easier to learn.

jetsfan0099
11-03-2008, 07:44 PM
Its a shame that the Jets don't throw to Keller that much, hes definitely the top receiving TE in the draft. He showed so much promise but we don't use him often. Hes going to be a stud in the NFL for a long time though.

Sniper
11-03-2008, 10:13 PM

I completely endorse this message.

illmatic74
11-03-2008, 10:57 PM
Have to throw in Chris Horton

RaiderNation
11-03-2008, 11:05 PM
If McFadden didnt have 2 turf toes, he would be on every1's list

kmartin575
11-04-2008, 01:37 AM
He hasn't done enough yet to warrant making the list and it might be too late to catch up with other guys but I think by the end of the season Jamaal Charles might deserve an honorable mention. He just had his first 100 yard game against Tampa Bay, a team who had not given up 100 yards to a single rusher all season. Larry Johnson is out for at least one more game and Kolby Smith is going on IR. I question if Charles can handle too heavy of a workload but so far he is doing great with a 5.7 ypc average on 47 carries. Not too bad behind a crappy offensive line. He is also probably already one of the best pass blocking backs on our team.

On another note, it's good to see Brandon Flowers and Brandon Carr make some lists. The two have been pretty damn good as rookie starters, especially considering our defense has only 4 sacks on the season. They are left on an island every single game and they have held up pretty well.

vidae
11-04-2008, 01:47 AM
Too early for Charles but I do agree that he is by far and away our best pass blocking back. No question there.

And yeah, I'm happily surprised to see both Carr and Flowers on there. It's very difficult to start at CB as a rookie and we have two. Every week teams attack them over and over and while they are making some rookie mistakes, they're definitely not playing like rookies. Very hopeful for those two being our two starting corners for many years.

TitanHope
11-04-2008, 02:01 AM

We run base Cover 2?

*stops to think for a second*

...Dang, I forgot what they do. Last year, it was 92 Haynesworth defense. Usually announcers refer to it as, "Hey, Jeff Fisher...with Ditka...4-6 Bear Rawr!"

Maybe we do run a Cover 2? We never blitz...our DB's are the Top 4 leading tacklers...we rely on the front 4 to pressure the QB...we take a lot of Indy's players like David Thornton and Nick Harper...

My God...

Bruce Banner
11-04-2008, 02:11 AM
We run base Cover 2?

*stops to think for a second*

...Dang, I forgot what they do. Last year, it was 92 Haynesworth defense. Usually announcers refer to it as, "Hey, Jeff Fisher...with Ditka...4-6 Bear Rawr!"

Maybe we do run a Cover 2? We never blitz...our DB's are the Top 4 leading tacklers...we rely on the front 4 to pressure the QB...we take a lot of Indy's players like David Thornton and Nick Harper...

My God...

Bosh and Haynesworth together in their primes are the closest thing to Rice and Sapp since they were separated.

You run a base Cover 2. Make no mistake. (Sounds more like a pure T2)

TitanHope
11-04-2008, 02:35 AM
Nah, no Tampa 2. I'm sure of that. The Titans DEF plays just as much man as they do zone, and the DL's philosophy is unique.

You hear so much about the emphasis on dominant UT's and WLB's in the Tampa 2. In the Jim Schwartz era, Tony Brown has been our best UT in recent memory, and while Keith Bulluck is great, he's been kept at SLB.

Then again, remember that I, one of the Titans Team Leaders, didn't know what type of base DEF the Titans run, so I could totally be wrong on this... ;)

diabsoule
11-04-2008, 02:47 AM

Womp Womp Womp.

That might be where the Chiefs are going at the end of the season since their FS, Jarrad Page, is a FA.

diabsoule
11-04-2008, 02:52 AM

Same defensive philosophy that won the Steelers 4 SB in the 70s.

You know who gets no love from last year's safety class? Tanard Jackson.

I forgot about Godfrey, good call on that.

I loved Tanard Jackson last year as a S for a Cover 2 team and he's proven me right.

kmartin575
11-04-2008, 03:30 AM
That might be where the Chiefs are going at the end of the season since their FS, Jarrad Page, is a FA.

Uhhh, no. Page will only be an RFA, I see no reason he won't return. We also drafted Dajuan Morgan in the 3rd round this year. Why the hell would we move Flowers away from corner when he is doing pretty damn good there? Makes no sense at all.

jth1331
11-04-2008, 05:06 AM
FB: Peyton Hillis
OT: Ryan Clady

those 3 should be on everyone's lists

TitanHope
11-04-2008, 10:06 AM
If anyone would like to know of a rookie DT that's playing well that's not the two 1st RD DT's in Glenn Dorsey and Sedrick Ellis (I'm thinking those guys are default just because of their draft position rather than their production or performance), Jason Jones has been playing very well at UT for the Titans. He was able to break into the DT rotation behind Haynesworth and Tony Brown. He's notched 1.5 sacks, 19 total tackles, and 2 PD's as a backup. That's better than Sedrick Ellis and Glenn Dorsey, who are starters (though Dorsey has more tackles and a FF, he has 0 sacks).

My team:

QB: Matt Ryan
RB: Chris Johnson
WR: Desean Jackson
TE: John Carlson
OL: Exempt

DE: Chris Long
DT: Jason Jones
DT: Marcus Harrison
DE: Kendall Langford
OLB: Brian Kehl
MLB: Jerod Mayo
OLB: Keith Rivers (IR)
CB: Brandon Flowers
CB: Tracy Porter (IR)
FS: Tyrell Johnson
SS: Chris Horton

I tried my best to go off the beaten path for some positions in order to give a little recognition to the player who are playing well, but just a tad bit off from the leader at his position. Named some guys who are on IR now, but were playing quite well before their injury.

MetSox17
11-04-2008, 10:21 AM
Too early for Charles but I do agree that he is by far and away our best pass blocking back. No question there.

And yeah, I'm happily surprised to see both Carr and Flowers on there. It's very difficult to start at CB as a rookie and we have two. Every week teams attack them over and over and while they are making some rookie mistakes, they're definitely not playing like rookies. Very hopeful for those two being our two starting corners for many years.

Pfft, and some people questioned his ability to block. :rolleyes:

Jamaal Football is gonna make the Cheaps look very smart (as tough as that may seem).

Denver Bronco99
11-04-2008, 01:49 PM
I don't think that's a fair assessment of the current situation. Neither DeSean nor Royal were projected to be great #1 receivers, due to lack of size (The smaller you are, the easier it is to cover you). As such assumptions were made, they have not been proven wrong - neither DeSean nor Royal have been covered by #1 corners yet. Meanwhile, both have had more opportunities to succeed than any of the other receivers thus far.

Also two things to remember:

Obviously not everyone thought they would be to small/frail to succeed in the NFL because they both were picked up in the second round.

And, we're only 8 games into their rookie year - in 2-5 years we may all be saying Thomas / Kelly / Sweed / Hardy are the top 4 receivers in the league :P (obviously a stretch, just making a point)

Deangelo Hall could start for ALOT of teams, and Royal made him look like a joke....

and Clady has not allowed a sack all season, and i believe 1 penalty...he is def. a nod on the rookie team

kmartin575
11-04-2008, 10:56 PM
Deangelo Hall could start for ALOT of teams, and Royal made him look like a joke....

and Clady has not allowed a sack all season, and i believe 1 penalty...he is def. a nod on the rookie team

Yeah, Hall could start for alot of teams which is why he is going to be released.

CroomDawgs
11-04-2008, 11:25 PM
QB- Matt Ryan
RB- Chris Johnson
RB- Matt Forte
FB- Peyton Hillis
WR- Eddie Royal
WR- DeSean Jackson
TE- John Carlson
OT- Ryan Clady
OT- Jake Long
OG- Branden Albert