PDA

View Full Version : The best WR's in the game right now???

katnip
11-03-2008, 09:56 PM
So... Who's at the top of your list?

Mine, no order...

Steve Smith, Andre Johnson (from, The U), Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Reggie Wayne, Derrick Mason (just like him), Roddy White, TJ "can't spell ur name," Donald Driver... + more

Vox Populi
11-03-2008, 10:25 PM
Andre Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald are probably on top of the league right now along with Rody White, Calvin Johnson, Greg Jennings Steve Smith, and a bunch of other guys. There are a lot of really really good receivers in the league right now and I've gone over this before, and what it comes down to is how much credit you are going to give guys who have done it for a long time and how much you are going to take away from the younger guys. Its hard to take guys like Owens and Moss out of the top and put in younger guys like Megatron, Lee Evans, Brandon Marshall, etc. Its a crazy competition right now at wide receiver for pro bowl spots, it'll be interesting to see who gets snubbed this year for a guy like Chad Johnson or Terrell Owens.

tjsunstein
11-03-2008, 10:27 PM
So... Who's at the top of your list?

Mine, no order...

Steve Smith, Andre Johnson (from, The U), Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Reggie Wayne, Derrick Mason (just like him), Roddy White, TJ "can't spell ur name," Donald Driver... + more

If you put 'and more', I can't argue, but you are missing the likes of Randy Moss, Brandon Marshall, Colston, Reggie Wayne, Calvin, Jennings, I could name a few more.

RaiderNation
11-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Fitz and Andre Johnson are having the best year this year. Also Brandon Marshall. I still think Moss is the best but he isnt having the best year cuz Brady is hurt

MetSox17
11-03-2008, 11:19 PM
It's Larry Fitzgerald, Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Steve Smith, Randy Moss, Anquan Boldin...

Then everyone else

Pokeys
11-03-2008, 11:22 PM
Rowdy Rowdy White > all

PackerLegend
11-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Rowdy Rowdy White > all

Jennings > all

iloxygenil
11-03-2008, 11:28 PM
Roddy White is so vastly overlooked on this message board it's silly.

fenikz
11-03-2008, 11:29 PM
1. Fitz
1a. Q
3. who even cares

A Perfect Score
11-03-2008, 11:31 PM
1. Andre Johnson
2. Larry Fitzgerald
3. Steve Smith
4. Anquan Boldin
5. Randy Moss

everyone else is just mishmashed in here, but there are a ******** of recievers who could be placed in the 6-10 area

MetSox17
11-03-2008, 11:32 PM

No he's not. In my opinion he's not on the level of the guys i mentioned, but a very close second, with the likes of Jennings, Wayne, Owens, Edwards, Houshmandzadeh, Johnson etc.

Not bad company to be around.

Chucky
11-03-2008, 11:36 PM

He really is not. People are not putting him in their top 5-10 lists which is correct, I'm sure he would be on everyone's top 12-15 lists

tjsunstein
11-03-2008, 11:37 PM
No he's not. In my opinion he's not on the level of the guys i mentioned, but a very close second, with the likes of Jennings, Wayne, Owens, Edwards, Houshmandzadeh, Johnson etc.

Not bad company to be around.

Jennings was mentioned first for a reason. :)

d34ng3l021
11-03-2008, 11:40 PM

Look at the competition he is facing. Do you really expect him to be in a top 5 list with the likes of Randy Moss, Andre Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, Reggie Wayne, or any of those guys? Not yet. He is on the same level as Greg Jennings and Brandon Marshall as young receivers who are stepping up their game in the past year or two. The other guys have been producing for 5+ years.

Caddy
11-04-2008, 12:04 AM
My personal top two is Larry Fitzgerald and Steve Smith. Both offer different playing styles at an extremely high standard. I would love to have either of them in Tampa Bay.

MetSox17
11-04-2008, 12:11 AM
My personal top two is Larry Fitzgerald and Steve Smith. Both offer different playing styles at an extremely high standard. I would love to have either of them in Tampa Bay.

I'd take a healthy Andre Johnson over both of them. Fitzgerald's hands + Smith's speed = Andre Johnson

Zyro_1014
11-04-2008, 12:14 AM

who wouldnt love Fitz or Steve Smith? i mean....seriously

d34ng3l021
11-04-2008, 12:24 AM
I'd take a healthy Andre Johnson over both of them. Fitzgerald's hands + Smith's speed = Andre Johnson

Fitzgerald's hands are the best in the league. Bar none.

MetSox17
11-04-2008, 12:30 AM

No argument here. But he's not as athletically gifted as Andre Johnson.

Caddy
11-04-2008, 12:31 AM
He really is not. People are not putting him in their top 5-10 lists which is correct, I'm sure he would be on everyone's top 12-15 lists

People know he can play. I'm so sick of Falcons fans trying to convince everyone that he is the second coming of Jerry Rice.

We know he can play, we don't need post after post, thread after thread drilling this idea into our heads.

d34ng3l021
11-04-2008, 12:34 AM
No argument here. But he's not as athletically gifted as Andre Johnson.

True, but your addition statement would just be wrong. But I understand what you mean. Andre Johnson is just a flat out beast at everything. I love how he can take short passes the distance, make some good catches, and burn a defense for a long TD.

And not every Falcons fan is making White out to be the next Rice. Dont confuse iloxygenil for every Falcons fan.

Caddy
11-04-2008, 12:35 AM
True, but your addition statement would just be wrong. But I understand what you mean. Andre Johnson is just a flat out beast at everything. I love how he can take short passes the distance, make some good catches, and burn a defense for a long TD.

And not every Falcons fan is making White out to be the next Rice. Dont confuse iloxygenil for every Falcons fan.

He isn't the only guilty one. There is a reason for the 7 page Roddy White thread.

Zyro_1014
11-04-2008, 12:38 AM

What was even more ridiculous was watching him in college. He was like a man amongst boys out there.

Bengalsrocket
11-04-2008, 12:39 AM
Right now?? Well Andre Johnson has the most yards with 834. Bernard Berrian has the highest yards per a catch for receivers with 30+ receptions (20.7). Boldin has the most TD's @ 8. and TJ has the most receptions with 61. Meanwhile Vincent Jackson has a 90% first down ratio with 30 receptions (highest amongst receivers with 30+ receptions).

I realize that a lot of those stats do not translate into "best" receiver, so I'm going with Andre Johnson at the moment.

Rob S
11-04-2008, 12:52 AM
Andre Johnson is my boy, probably my favorite WR right now. If I needed to do a top 5:

Andre Johnson
Larry Fitz
Randy Moss
Anquan Boldin
Calvin Johnson/Wayne/Steve Smith/Jennings/Roddy are too close.......gun to my head, I go that order.

d34ng3l021
11-04-2008, 12:56 AM
He isn't the only guilty one. There is a reason for the 7 page Roddy White thread.

Yeah. Half of that thread is dedicated to talking about other receivers and Michael Vick and development stages of WRs. The rest of it is Falcon fans bringing up his recent performances against top CBs. Whatever. No need to change the topic of the thread.

11-04-2008, 08:57 AM
I just felt like doing my own top 5 ..

1. Andre Johnson
2. Larry Fitzgerald
3. Randy Moss
4. Steve Smith
5. Reggie Wayne

Looks like we are all at least in somewhat of an agreement.

Gay Ork Wang
11-04-2008, 09:01 AM
im so sick of Iloxi, it seems like every post he is talking about Abraham being the best DE and Roddy being a Top 5 WR and so on and so on

Sniper
11-04-2008, 09:03 AM
im so sick of Iloxi, it seems like every post he is talking about Abraham being the best DE and Roddy being a Top 5 WR and so on and so on

Don't forget Matt Ryan being the greatest thing since sliced bread.

ShutDwn
11-04-2008, 09:07 AM
Andre Johnson needs to get in the limelight, he is way to good to stay in the shadows like he has. He is recognized, but not nearly enough because of his teams troubles.

bored of education
11-04-2008, 09:22 AM
Dwayne Bowe would have triple the stats Roddy White would have if D-Bowe had a capable QB! Roddy White is not a god, yet!

Andre Johnson, Reggie Wayne, Fitz, Boldin and Marshall. Jennings TJ, Steve Smith, Moss, TO, and about 14 others in that next grouping.

awfullyquiet
11-04-2008, 09:31 AM
Dwayne Bowe would have triple the stats Roddy White would have if D-Bowe had a capable QB! Roddy White is not a god, yet!

Like Andre Johnson with Carr?

Yuck!

No. Now that Johnson has a decent QB and a decent running game (steve slaton... what?!), you get what everyone has been saying for the past 3 years. This guy was a good offense away from putting up monster numbers.

1. Andre Johnson
2. Fitz
3. Steve Smith
4. T.O.
5. Q
6. Chad Ocho Crappo
7. Randy Moss
8. Reggie Wayne
9. TJ Houshmanzadah
10. Brandon Marshall
11. Greg Jennings
12. Calvin Johnson
13. Wes Welker
14. Roddy White
15. Dallas Clark (yeah. I said it...)
16. Lee Evans
17. Bernard Berrian
18. Jason Witten (i went there too!)
19. Vincent Jackson
20. Donald Driver

Sniper
11-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Braylon Edwards not in the top 20? :rolleyes:

bored of education
11-04-2008, 09:36 AM
Dwayne Bowe top 22?

awfullyquiet
11-04-2008, 09:37 AM
Dwayne Bowe top 22?

in my top 32... he's 26.2 because he goes the distance! he goes for speeeeed!

bored of education
11-04-2008, 09:38 AM
in my top 32... he's 26.2 because he goes the distance! he goes for speeeeed!

/me mounts aq :eek:

d34ng3l021
11-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Don't forget Matt Ryan being the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Oh. I might be responsible for that.

Rayray52
11-04-2008, 10:17 AM
Randy Moss

Everyone else

Troy Williamson

jsagan77
11-04-2008, 06:42 PM
Why do people think Fitz is better than Boldin?

Bengals1690
11-04-2008, 06:56 PM
Why do people think Fitz is better than Boldin?

put simply, because he is. anquan is a beast though.

Thigamahjigee
11-04-2008, 07:06 PM
People are really putting Andre Johnson number 1? Eh. I'll make a list soon, but Andre isn't the best in the game.

Edit:

1. Randy Moss
2. Larry Fitzgerald
3. Terrell Owens
4. Anquan Boldin
5. Ocho Cinco
6. Andre Johnson
7. Steve Smith
8. Reggie Wayne
9. Roddy White
10. Jennings/Marshall

bantx
11-04-2008, 07:13 PM

dont forget about vox, if i read another one of their post and i hear them talking about how everyone is overlooking a falcons player im just gonna neg rep them its getting annoying

Sportsfan486
11-04-2008, 07:15 PM
I'll go..

1. Larry Fitz
2. Andre Johnson
3. Anquan Boldin
4. Randy Moss
5. Greg Jennings

bantx
11-04-2008, 07:26 PM
Ill make my top 10

1.) Andre Johnson
2.) Fitz
3.) Steve Smith
4.) Boldin
5.) Moss
6.) TO
7.) Ocho
8.) TJ
9.) Megatron
10.) Wayne

Could argue that Witten or Gates belong in the top 10 but i guess ill just do WRs

SeanTaylorRIP
11-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Andre Johnson to me is clearly the best wideout in the game today, it's truly a shame has has such inconsistent QB play, and is stuck on a poo team. These are my WR rankings:
(Rough, I'm sure I'm forgetting some guys, I had to go back and fiddle because I left some guys out)

1) Andre Johnson

2) Anquan Boldin
3) Larry Fitzgerald

4) Randy Moss
5) Steve Smith
6) Reggie Wayne

7) Brandon Marshall
8) Terrell Owens

9) Calvin Johnson
10) Greg Jennings
11) Roddy White

12) Plaxico Burress
13) Braylon Edwards

14) Santana Moss
15) Lee Evans
-Dwayne Bowe
16) Chad Johnson
17) TJ Houshmazadeh

18) Marques Colston
-Roy E Williams
19) Donald Driver
20) Lavarneus Coles

21) Bernard Berrian
22) Hines Ward
23) Chris Chambers

24) Derrick Mason
25) Vincent Jackson

26) Wes Welker
27) Jerrico Cotchery

28) Torry Holt
29) Marvin Harrison

30) Desean Jackson
31) Antonio Bryant
32) Santonio Holmes

33) Eddie Royal
34) Amani Toomer
35) Matt Jones

36) Lance Moore
37) Devery Henderson
38) Antwaan Randle El
39) Mark Clayton

40) Donnie Avery
41) Nate Washington
42) Mussin Muhammad

43) Greg Camarillo
44) Issac Bruce
45) Ted Ginn JR.

46) Deion Branch
47) Sidney Rice

48) Reggie Williams

49) Chansi Stuckey

50) Brandon Jones
51) Demetrius Williams
52) Steve Breaston
53) Jordy Nelson
54) Josh Morgan
55) Steve Smith(Giants)

Bruce Banner
11-04-2008, 07:34 PM
Antonio Bryant top 32 is lovely.

bored of education
11-04-2008, 07:38 PM
no Dwayne Bowe, ghetto???

SeanTaylorRIP
11-04-2008, 07:39 PM
Hey the dudes had problems and barely made a roster but I have always liked him since he was in college and even as a Cowboy, and when he isn't a cancer like he has shown this year he is till one hell of a talent. A big guy who can stretch the field. It has always bothered me how his attitude has gotten in the way of his talent.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-04-2008, 07:40 PM
no Dwayne Bowe, ghetto???

Knew I was forgetting someone. I'll put him at 15B. I'd love to see just how good he can be with a starting QB throwing to him. He surely proved last year he doesn't need the best QB play to be beastly.

bored of education
11-04-2008, 07:40 PM
1a. Dwayne Bowe
copy
paste

k thanx

bored of education
11-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Knew I was forgetting someone. I'll put him at 15B. I'd love to see just how good he can be with a starting QB throwing to him. He surely proved last year he doesn't need the best QB play to be beastly.

That is approx where I would put him.

I can only imagine him with a capable QB. :eek:

Thigamahjigee
11-04-2008, 07:54 PM
Andre Johnson to me is clearly the best wideout in the game today, it's truly a shame has has such inconsistent QB play, and is stuck on a poo team. These are my WR rankings:
(Rough, I'm sure I'm forgetting some guys, I had to go back and fiddle because I left some guys out)

1) Andre Johnson

I disagree. He's the top WR. 4.7 YAC, and an average of 900 yards/5TDs/13 YPC don't scream number one to me, and he doesn't pose the matchup disadvantage as Randy Moss does. He's elite, but he's not the top in my book.

bantx
11-04-2008, 07:55 PM
I disagree. He's the top WR. 4.7 YAC, and an average of 900 yards/5TDs/13 YPC don't scream number one to me, and he doesn't pose the matchup disadvantage as Randy Moss does. He's elite, but he's not the top in my book.

Stats only tell half the story. Do you watch him play at all or do you just look at stats?

SeanTaylorRIP
11-04-2008, 08:02 PM
Andre Johnson to me is a mix of Anquan and Larry Fitzgerald. Not quite as good as Anquan after the catch, and doesn't quite of Fitz's hands and body control but he combines them with freakish speed and size and IMO he is the most dangerous wideout in the league.

Thigamahjigee
11-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Stats only tell half the story. Do you watch him play at all or do you just look at stats?

Yes, but ugh. Get trashed for not using stats in one thing, and not in another. Did you not see the rest of the post? His rather subpar (for the supposed #1) stats combined with the fact that he isn't a Randy Moss esque matchup problem, would make me not declare him the best. Maybe if he puts up a few big yards seasons with TDs, and gets the best of his YAC ability, sure. At this point, he doesn't do that. I'd call him a great wideout. He's around top 5. I wouldn't put him one though. Even if we are just talking about young guys, I'd take Fitz over him in a second.

bored of education
11-04-2008, 08:12 PM
plus he missed half a season last year? or 6 games?

bantx
11-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Yes, but ugh. Get trashed for not using stats in one thing, and not in another. Did you not see the rest of the post? His rather subpar (for the supposed #1) stats combined with the fact that he isn't a Randy Moss esque matchup problem, would make me not declare him the best. Maybe if he puts up a few big yards seasons with TDs, and gets the best of his YAC ability, sure. At this point, he doesn't do that. I'd call him a great wideout. He's around top 5. I wouldn't put him one though. Even if we are just talking about young guys, I'd take Fitz over him in a second.

well if u watched any of his game, you would know he has never had a dante culpepper or a tom brady thowing at him. Not trying to take away from randy.

aNYtitan
11-04-2008, 08:16 PM
No order but top 5:

Andre Johnson, Steve Smith, Terrell Owens, Larry Fitgerald and Randy Moss

Thigamahjigee
11-04-2008, 09:03 PM
well if u watched any of his game, you would know he has never had a dante culpepper or a tom brady thowing at him. Not trying to take away from randy.

Check out Roddy White's stats for example with a cluster of Redman/Leftwich/Harrington. Makes me cringe.

Notredameleo
11-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Megatron>all

tjsunstein
11-04-2008, 11:04 PM
These lists turn into a homer thread so fast. In that case,
Jordyzzz > Jennings > Everyone else

CroomDawgs
11-04-2008, 11:28 PM
I want to say Braylon but until he finds his hands again i can't :(

BlindSite
11-05-2008, 01:37 AM
I think the best two receivers in the game right now are Steve Smith and Randy Moss, I have in my next tier Wayne, Fitzgerald and TO and then emerging WRs as Jennings, White and Marshall.

Bruce Banner
11-05-2008, 01:47 AM
I agree with you about Randy, BlindSite.

I surprised to see him so far down on so many lists.

BlindSite
11-05-2008, 01:59 AM
Someone raised an interesting point to me the other day.

As of right now, through his Career Smith has amassed

464 receptions
6,540 yards
41 TDs

in 76 games of 104 (excluding his rookie season) which means he would've had 104 games. In that 28 games that he's missed based on his prior totals he should've been able to rack up

8833 yards
55 tds

Which is above what randy moss produced in his first 6 years as a starting wide-out (77 TDs, 525 rec 8375 yards.) Its a shame he can't keep his temper in check when he needs to and has missed 18 games in 6 years through injury (lost an entire season in 04).

Not saying he's as good as Randy, just interesting to see what could've been had things fallen into place a little better. That being said checking back over Randy's stats makes me realise just how truly special as a WR he has been.

awfullyquiet
11-05-2008, 09:23 AM
I agree with you about Randy, BlindSite.

I surprised to see him so far down on so many lists.

Randy is overwhelmingly good at his 'niche' of being a receiver. Maybe i'm looking at who's the best all around receiver in the league right now... but as far as production goes... Moss is second to none. Does that make him the best in my opinion? no.

Why? Because, he plays great when he wants to. Randy being Randy.

Bruce Banner
11-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Randy is overwhelmingly good at his 'niche' of being a receiver. Maybe i'm looking at who's the best all around receiver in the league right now... but as far as production goes... Moss is second to none. Does that make him the best in my opinion? no.

Why? Because, he plays great when he wants to. Randy being Randy.

No argument here. He is nowhere close to being the best "all around" receiver. I just figured some of the great "all around" guys would produce better.

His reluctance to venture across the middle, block, and try in general take him out of the top 3 or 4.....but like top 7 or 8? Nah.

FWIW, I hate these kinds of lists. Especially those that don't specify what we should base our rankings off of. Talent? production? etc.

Just fairly baseless discussion. (but a good time filler)

iloxygenil
11-05-2008, 10:19 AM

**** you, honestly **** you. I never said he was the next Rice, but he's the top 5 in the NFL this year, he was top 8 last year. He belongs in the top 10, and the lists that are up there that exclude him completely in a 'top wideouts in the NFL' thread are a joke. I'm not saying he's 'elite' yet because by MY description of elite, Roddy is on his way but hasn't reached it because he's not produced consistently for long enough.

Andre Johnson when healthy is insane, Larry Fitzgerald gets much deserved love, but the other overlooked wideout most of the time is Anquan Boldin (the guy who plays most like Rice of any of these WRs) being that he's got incredible hands, and not great timed speed, but he has that speed where he'll never be caught once he breaks free.

Roddy has to get credit as one of the best blockers from the WR position, he's not delivering the blows like Hines Ward, but he's always getting his guy out of the play (sometimes too much and gets his hands too far outside for holding)

But you don't get to decide what I think, I'm very clear on what I think, and it's numbskulls like you who misconstrue my words into what they aren't. Top 5 WRs THIS Year, Roddy has to be mentioned, but top over the last 5 years...

In no particular order.

1.) Randy Moss
2.) Andre Johnson
3.) Larry Fitzgerald
4.) Steve Smith
5.) Anquan Boldin
6.) Chad Johnson
7.) Reggie Wayne
8.) Marvin Harrison
9.) TO
10.) Plaxico

But that's just offensively, overall, as a blocker and stuff, it would shake the list up pretty significantly.

bored of education
11-05-2008, 10:22 AM
no Tyler Thigpen on any lists. :(

Sniper
11-05-2008, 10:22 AM
**** you, honestly **** you.

Well that wasn't very nice.

iloxygenil
11-05-2008, 10:23 AM

You're right, and I'll be adequately punished for it, but I'm sick of people telling me how much I'm wrong, and how much I say things I never do. It's beyond annoying.

bored of education
11-05-2008, 10:25 AM

Instead of nice you could have said kind.

Sniper
11-05-2008, 10:26 AM
You're right, and I'll be adequately punished for it, but I'm sick of people telling me how much I'm wrong, and how much I say things I never do. It's beyond annoying.

Fair enough...

awfullyquiet
11-05-2008, 10:27 AM
No argument here. He is nowhere close to being the best "all around" receiver. I just figured some of the great "all around" guys would produce better.

His reluctance to venture across the middle, block, and try in general take him out of the top 3 or 4.....but like top 7 or 8? Nah.

Or try sometimes?

I think part randy's still success lies in the ability of wes welker make anyone look better even if he himself isn't absolutely great and last year especially, tom brady to deliver. randy i think is better than great when he has a great qb throwing him the ball. no man misses tom brady like randy moss.

edit: i knew i left someone off my list. plax!

LonghornsLegend
11-05-2008, 10:56 AM
I think some people here honestly think that if your bigger and faster then that makes you a better WR...Reggie Wayne hasn't shown up on enough list for me, Cris Carter wasn't 230 and didn't run a 4.2 but that didn't stop him from being one of the most gifted WR's ever, same with Lynn Swann.

Tier 1
Steve Smith
Larry Fitzgerald
Anquan Boldin
Randy Moss
Andre Johnson
Reggie Wayne
Chad Johnson
Greg Jennings
Roddy White

The last 2 guys you could say are pre-mature and that's fine, but I think next year they will be considered there so I don't have any problem putting them there...Both Roddy and Jennings can take over a game the same way an elite WR can, and are complete WR's.

Funny how Chad Johnson can average 90 receptions, 1300 yards, and 8 TD's over a 6 year span but one off-season of running his mouth too much and playing on a dysfunctional team people act like he forgot how to play WR...It's just funny to see guys jump around on people's list judging by who is hot right now, when some of these other guys can stay healthy enough(ie Andre Johnson) to produce like Chad over 6 years then you can sing his praises, just being big and fast isn't the end of the conversation for me.

A fluke doesn't happen over 6 years, especially when you take into account he was the #1 WR and faced double coverage week in and week out...Alot of these other guys are wildly inconsistent but just have the measurables that everyone loves.

Sniper
11-05-2008, 11:03 AM
Tier 1
Steve Smith
Larry Fitzgerald
Anquan Boldin
Randy Moss
Andre Johnson
Reggie Wayne
Chad Johnson
Greg Jennings
Roddy White

Just for this year?

Gay Ork Wang
11-05-2008, 11:08 AM
meeeh i wouldnt rank Chad Johnson as a tier 1 WR, not this year

awfullyquiet
11-05-2008, 11:55 AM
meeeh i wouldnt rank Chad Johnson as a tier 1 WR, not this year

this isn't a year to year game.

as far as 'best' goes. COCrappa is by far a tier 1 receiver...

i'm also highly adement about putting witten and clark in as WR's... because, basically they're WR's who block. like TE's who catch.

LonghornsLegend
11-05-2008, 12:02 PM
Just for this year?

No, definately not, I'm not counting guys like Chad who are affected by the QB play, O-line play, etc because he has proven over time he's a tier 1 WR, I'll believe he is still as such until he consistently falls off...I would feel the same about Santana Moss if he was as consistent as Chad has been.

Thigamahjigee
11-05-2008, 01:48 PM

FWIW, I hate these kinds of lists. Especially those that don't specify what we should base our rankings off of. Talent? production? etc.

Just fairly baseless discussion. (but a good time filler)

I still put Moss number 1. I don't really care that he doesn't go over the middle. When you are as good as he is at what he does, why bother doing anything else? It's not really needed. I know he hasn't been overly impressive this year, but I still haven't see a WR who teams have to plan for more.

fenikz
11-05-2008, 01:56 PM
Tier 1
Larry Fitzgerald
Reggie Wayne
Anquan Boldin
Randy Moss
Andre Johnson
Steve Smith

Tier 2
Terrell Owens
Greg Jennings
Roddy White
Plaxico Burress
TJ Houshmandzadeh

Tier 3
Calvin Johnson
Lee Evans
Santana Moss
Hines Ward
Brandon Marshall
Chad Ocho Cinco
Brandon Marshall
Dwaye Bowe
Derrick Mason

Sniper
11-05-2008, 02:01 PM
You have Derrick Mason and Hines Ward ahead of Braylon Edwards? Larf.

Brandon Marshall is on there twice.

Sportsfan486
11-05-2008, 02:28 PM

Braylon Edwards wouldn't make a top 50 list for me. The guy has dropped over 14 passes through eight games. He's been beyond horrible this year.

tjsunstein
11-05-2008, 02:33 PM
Tier 1
Larry Fitzgerald
Reggie Wayne
Anquan Boldin
Randy Moss
Andre Johnson
Steve Smith

Tier 2
Terrell Owens
Greg Jennings
Roddy White
Plaxico Burress
TJ Houshmandzadeh

Tier 3
Calvin Johnson
Lee Evans
Santana Moss
Hines Ward
Brandon Marshall
Chad Ocho Cinco
Brandon Marshall
Dwaye Bowe
Derrick Mason

I'd switch Megatron and Burress. I'm not sure what Mason has done to earn tier 3 over Driver. Is that my homer speaking or is that legit?

T-RICH49
11-05-2008, 02:35 PM
where's the love for D Bowe.look at his numbers then look at the QB's.pretty impressive

Sniper
11-05-2008, 02:36 PM
Braylon Edwards wouldn't make a top 50 list for me. The guy has dropped over 14 passes through eight games. He's been beyond horrible this year.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd now you're exaggerating.

Splat
11-05-2008, 02:40 PM
where's the love for D Bowe.look at his numbers then look at the QB's.pretty impressive

When your 1-7 people don't watch you play he is middle of the pack to me and in time will be top 10.

Its so hard to pick a top WR so many great players its hard to judge with some having better QB's then others.

Jimmy
11-05-2008, 02:41 PM
This year, unquestionably... the title belongs to this man
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/bill_syken/01/19/scorecard.daily/p1_smith.jpg

Here are my reasons.
1. His quarterback is Jake Delhomme. This is not a hampering problem, yet it is certainly not a boost. A wide receiver can only catch as many balls as the quarterback makes catchable.

2. If you're a stats guy, his lowest yard total this year is 70 yards. He's been held under 90 yards once... that first game. in his last 5 games, has a catch of at least 38 yards. Besides Greg Jennings, he averages the most yards per catch in that 1st tier) and Steve is flatout playing better then even Greg when you look at averages.

3. Who can cover him? He's a small guy, but he is all of the things you love in one package. He doesn't lack anything. He's electrifying, can take it to the house at any moment, has solid hands, can break tackles, get the YAC, and isn't afraid to go over the middle. He gets off the line faster then any receiver in the game.

Here's some "eye candy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYPkPkwySD8&feature=related (personal fave 35 seconds in)

iloxygenil
11-05-2008, 03:49 PM
This year, unquestionably... the title belongs to this man
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/bill_syken/01/19/scorecard.daily/p1_smith.jpg

Here are my reasons.
1. His quarterback is Jake Delhomme. This is not a hampering problem, yet it is certainly not a boost. A wide receiver can only catch as many balls as the quarterback makes catchable.

2. If you're a stats guy, his lowest yard total this year is 70 yards. He's been held under 90 yards once... that first game. in his last 5 games, has a catch of at least 38 yards. Besides Greg Jennings, he averages the most yards per catch in that 1st tier) and Steve is flatout playing better then even Greg when you look at averages.

3. Who can cover him? He's a small guy, but he is all of the things you love in one package. He doesn't lack anything. He's electrifying, can take it to the house at any moment, has solid hands, can break tackles, get the YAC, and isn't afraid to go over the middle. He gets off the line faster then any receiver in the game.

Here's some "eye candy"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYPkPkwySD8&feature=related (personal fave 35 seconds in)

Johnson is #1 so far this year. Smith is killing it though, there's no doubt about that. But you knock Delhomme here, all the guy does is target Smith. So I don't think that's going to hamper him in any way statistically speaking. Johnson is doing it on a sub par team with a mesh of quarterbacks. Anquan Boldin also this year aside from when he was in the hospital has torn everyone apart. The guy just catches touchdowns constantly and I'd put him over Smith, especially because of his character, the guy wants to get paid, did what he was supposed to do, tried to get it handled in the offseason, but went to work, and has dominated this year without the contract he deserves. Class act.

Don't get me wrong, Smith is a top 5 guy, but to me he's not #1, although playing him in a few weeks doesn't look all that great to me, I'm just glad Grimes won't be the one matching up with Mushin forcing us to shade to his side too much and letting Smith eat us up again. So by no means am I saying I want to face Steve Smith or he's not a threat, but he's not the #1 WR in the NFL.

BlindSite
11-05-2008, 04:49 PM
Johnson is #1 so far this year. Smith is killing it though, there's no doubt about that. But you knock Delhomme here, all the guy does is target Smith. So I don't think that's going to hamper him in any way statistically speaking. Johnson is doing it on a sub par team with a mesh of quarterbacks.

Delhomme isn't that much of a lock on QB, Muhummad, Jarrett and Hackett (when healthy) have seen their fair share of balls. Its a push, as good as Delhomme can be, there's times when he's inaccurate and jumpy in the pocket. He's a solid QB, but it isn't really a boost like Brady is for Welker or a detraction like Orlovsky is for Johnson.

Anquan Boldin also this year aside from when he was in the hospital has torn everyone apart. The guy just catches touchdowns constantly and I'd put him over Smith, especially because of his character, the guy wants to get paid, did what he was supposed to do, tried to get it handled in the offseason, but went to work, and has dominated this year without the contract he deserves. Class act.

Boldin cannot and does not change a game like Smith can, nor has he ever had to carry an offense like Smith has. I like Boldin a lot and he belongs in the same tier, but as far as being a higher character guy, or a more valuable receiver, I don't believe so. Hell, he's not even the best or most valuable receiver on his own team.

Don't get me wrong, Smith is a top 5 guy, but to me he's not #1, although playing him in a few weeks doesn't look all that great to me, I'm just glad Grimes won't be the one matching up with Mushin forcing us to shade to his side too much and letting Smith eat us up again. So by no means am I saying I want to face Steve Smith or he's not a threat, but he's not the #1 WR in the NFL.
Its hard to make a case for many being better other than Randy Moss.

ShutDwn
11-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Johnson, Fitzgerald and Jennings are great receivers, but Smith is the receiver I want in a big game. Moss disappeared last year in the playoffs despite being on the most loaded offense.

No one works harder every play or is more intense than Steve Smith (he does try to block), other guys may have better size but what he does in terms of taking on defenders and not going down is 100% mentality, and it makes him extremely unique. Other receivers have their freakish size, but Smith's asset is how intense he is (though it has gotten him in trouble a few times).

Of course other people have different preferences, I just get tired of seeing guys like Harrison and Moss last year disappear in the playoffs. Now, I realize that Fitzgerald, Boldin and Johnson haven't had chances yet, I don't think they would vanish like some others. I hope those guys get a chance to play on a big stage, it looks like Fitz and Boldin will this season.

bored of education
11-05-2008, 06:04 PM
Roddy White is number one guys. Get with it!

d34ng3l021
11-05-2008, 07:25 PM
**** you, honestly **** you. I never said he was the next Rice, but he's the top 5 in the NFL this year, he was top 8 last year. He belongs in the top 10, and the lists that are up there that exclude him completely in a 'top wideouts in the NFL' thread are a joke. I'm not saying he's 'elite' yet because by MY description of elite, Roddy is on his way but hasn't reached it because he's not produced consistently for long enough.

Andre Johnson when healthy is insane, Larry Fitzgerald gets much deserved love, but the other overlooked wideout most of the time is Anquan Boldin (the guy who plays most like Rice of any of these WRs) being that he's got incredible hands, and not great timed speed, but he has that speed where he'll never be caught once he breaks free.

Roddy has to get credit as one of the best blockers from the WR position, he's not delivering the blows like Hines Ward, but he's always getting his guy out of the play (sometimes too much and gets his hands too far outside for holding)

But you don't get to decide what I think, I'm very clear on what I think, and it's numbskulls like you who misconstrue my words into what they aren't. Top 5 WRs THIS Year, Roddy has to be mentioned, but top over the last 5 years...

In no particular order.

1.) Randy Moss
2.) Andre Johnson
3.) Larry Fitzgerald
4.) Steve Smith
5.) Anquan Boldin
6.) Chad Johnson
7.) Reggie Wayne
8.) Marvin Harrison
9.) TO
10.) Plaxico

But that's just offensively, overall, as a blocker and stuff, it would shake the list up pretty significantly.

Okay.

You seriously need to stop getting your panties up in a bunch every time someone disagrees with you. You need to take a step back and look at situations from an objective point of view. You are easily one of the most subjective and biased posters on this board and continuously make a big deal out of someone elses' differing opinion. Instead of trying to refute their facts, you just call people 'tools' and think that some of the reasons for not reading your posts is because of 'stupidity and shortsightedness.' And while you may start off your argument with that, the rest of your statements have hardly any facts or evidence to back it up and are based merely off conjecture.

Sorry for making it seem as if you specifically made Roddy White out to be the next Jerry Rice. Instead of saying "**** you" and neg repping me and calling me a "disgrace" you could have have just pointed out that you never compared the 2 WRs.

captainjack27
11-05-2008, 07:34 PM

Help if Edwards could catch when he's wide open. IMO only thing stoppin him from being a top 5 WR. Great size, speed, athleticism, cant catch.

ChezPower4
11-05-2008, 08:38 PM
Help if Edwards could catch when he's wide open. IMO only thing stoppin him from being a top 5 WR. Great size, speed, athleticism, cant catch.

Yea... about that, kinda a big deal when your WR

11-05-2008, 08:42 PM
Yea... about that, kinda a big deal when your WR

Yeah, you would be surprised how many receivers lack this key skill ...

Braylon will bounce back though. He's just pressing a bit. Okay more than a bit.

Rayray52
11-05-2008, 11:17 PM
Hopefully with Braylon its just a temporary case of the dropsies, once you get a few it gets in your head and you start pressing and overthinking, Terrel Owens had a terrible case his first year in Dallas (as well as a pinkie injury) he should bounce back and plays more like he did last year. Having said that i hate the browns and wouldent mind if its a permanent Knoblauch type problem :).

CroomDawgs
11-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Braylon did score 16 times last season and is still an elite deep threat, to say he's not a tier 2 receiver or at least tier 3 is quite bad. TO has led the league numerous times in dropped passes yet he's an elite receiver. I'm not saying Braylon is a good as that nor am I saying his drops are ok but he's shown that he can be an elite WR, he just needs to focus more.

giantsfan
11-06-2008, 09:45 AM
I'd switch Megatron and Burress. I'm not sure what Mason has done to earn tier 3 over Driver. Is that my homer speaking or is that legit?

Just wondering but what has megatron done in the NFL to be ranked higher than Plax? I know plax hasn't dominated every week this season but he's gotten results more regularly than Megatron and while his QB isn't a detractor, eli really does spread the ball a lot and we are a run first team. I loved calvin as a prospect, one of my favorites I've ever seen, but in the NFL so far he does not deserve to be in tier two over plax.