PDA

View Full Version : Mike "The Matador" Jenkins

Matthew Jones
11-04-2008, 12:42 PM
What an awful player. I thought he'd suck last year because he was a lazy player who wanted to get by on skills. I think I had him ranked around #60-70 in my rankings. And he's not even earning that, from the looks of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Lpa9v1L2k

MetSox17
11-04-2008, 12:45 PM
I'll edit to avoid any infractions...

CashmoneyDrew
11-04-2008, 12:45 PM
Eh, pacman had some of those his rookie year. He gave better effort in his second year.

juiceman32
11-04-2008, 12:47 PM
Hahaha I was watching the game and they showed that replay about 4 times. He was scared sh**less of contact the whole game. He makes Deion Sanders look like Dick Butkus.

NY+Giants=NYG
11-04-2008, 12:50 PM
That's pretty bad.. The whole lack of effort is what drives coaches nuts. If you lack talent, fine, but if you have talent, but lack heart or motivation then that truly is sad.

MetSox17
11-04-2008, 12:52 PM
He doesn't lack motivation or effort in coverage, which is his main job. He can work on the tackling. He's pretty good at what he does, and that's covering his guy.

Matthew Jones
11-04-2008, 12:54 PM
He doesn't lack motivation or effort in coverage, which is his main job. He can work on the tackling. He's pretty good at what he does, and that's covering his guy.

Silly me. I thought his main job was to prevent people from scoring touchdowns.

Burns336
11-04-2008, 12:57 PM
Awful player because he pussed out on tackling a guy, down by 14 with about 5 min to play and that team driving.

I wouldn't throw my body in there either.

He's a *****, but he's a smart *****.

I mean really, what does he have to prove at that point in the game? He blew up Earnest Graham last week. He isn't afraid of contact when it counts. It didn't matter here. Why would a small corner even risk having something happen with the game out of reach?

If he got injured we would literally be down to nothing in the secondary. We would be starting scraps.

I'd say he's had some rookie struggles this year and he's also had some great plays (amazing pass break up against philly, pick 6 on eli, played a shutdown game against tampa)

but all Rookies struggle at CB.

Ill tell you this much, I wouldn't take any of the other 1st round cb's in place of him at this point. None of them have separated themselves from the pack.

NY+Giants=NYG
11-04-2008, 12:58 PM

True, but that was pretty sad that he didn't even attempt to stick his neck out. It's not like you can say he tried and missed due to poor technique. He just didn't try, and that to me is inexcusable.

bored of education
11-04-2008, 01:41 PM
Is he on Tampa?

Gay Ork Wang
11-04-2008, 02:14 PM
Awful player because he pussed out on tackling a guy, down by 14 with about 5 min to play and that team driving.

I mean really, what does he have to prove at that point in the game? He blew up Earnest Graham last week. He isn't afraid of contact when it counts. It didn't matter here. Why would a small corner even risk having something happen with the game out of reach?

If he got injured we would literally be down to nothing in the secondary. We would be starting scraps.

I'd say he's had some rookie struggles this year and he's also had some great plays (amazing pass break up against philly, pick 6 on eli, played a shutdown game against tampa)

Ill tell you this much, I wouldn't take any of the other 1st round cb's in place of him at this point. None of them have separated themselves from the pack.
Talib >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jenkins

Caddy
11-04-2008, 02:21 PM

I think Aqib has certainly separated himself a little. Nobody in Tampa is complaining about having him as equal 1st for rookie INT's with Brandon Flowers.

captainjack27
11-04-2008, 02:22 PM
What an awful player. I thought he'd suck last year because he was a lazy player who wanted to get by on skills. I think I had him ranked around #60-70 in my rankings. And he's not even earning that, from the looks of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1Lpa9v1L2k

While Jenkins effort is inexcusable, that doesn't make him an awful player. That's just being lazy, it's not a lack of skill. He's still young and will learn you play every down in the NFL, no matter how badly you're gettin beaten or how big the guy comin at you is.

ShutDwn
11-04-2008, 02:36 PM
That's a business decision, though it wasn't Jacobs carrying the ball.

Number 10
11-04-2008, 02:38 PM
Lack of effort? The Cowboys?

No way, they came to play Sunday!

Thigamahjigee
11-04-2008, 02:41 PM
I think Aqib has certainly separated himself a little. Nobody in Tampa is complaining about having him as equal 1st for rookie INT's with Brandon Flowers.

Yeah. I've been impressed with Aqib quite a bit.

Bruce Banner
11-04-2008, 02:54 PM
I'm happy the Bucs didn't select Jenkins. To say the least.

d34ng3l021
11-04-2008, 03:31 PM

His main job is to play football. He didn't get a contract to cover WRs.

The best part of his game may be covering the WR, but thats not at all an excuse to not care about a tackle. Its one thing to get trucked or juked out after trying to tackle a guy, but not even to try is something else.

If he can't be motivated to do that, then I would have to question his motivation about football. I know I am overblowing this thing, but if you are not motivated in one aspect of the game, you are not going to be the best you can be.

Burns336
11-04-2008, 03:31 PM
What has Talib done? Picked off a tipped ball and a couple others? Played in a tamp 2 with safeties covering his ass allowing him to play in the only system in which he could succeed?

He's done good with what hes been asked to do, but it's not like he's done anything special.

He certainly wouldn't fit in dallas where you have to worry about roy williams behind you and playing 12 yards off your man.

I still don't think any cb has done anything at this point to say "wow this guy was a great pick" and I don't believe you can for at least another year. Only Flowers is starting, Talib, Jenkins, McKelvin, and Cason are all playin spot duty.

Then Jenkins comes in and doesn't tackle a guy at the end of a lost game? Big deal. I personally dont care if he didn't. Our CB depth is ****. I wouldn't even be surprised if coach cream puff told the cb's not to take unnecessary risks.

MetSox17
11-04-2008, 03:33 PM
His main job is to play football. He didn't get a contract to cover WRs.

The best part of his game may be covering the WR, but thats not at all an excuse to not care about a tackle. Its one thing to get trucked or juked out after trying to tackle a guy, but not even to try is something else.

If he can't be motivated to do that, then I would have to question his motivation about football. I know I am overblowing this thing, but if you are not motivated in one aspect of the game, you are not going to be the best you can be.

And of course we've all come to the realization that one play that's highlighted by Cowboys haters is reason enough to completely label a guy as a lack of effort type, right? Geezus people, watch him play before you open your yap.

Gay Ork Wang
11-04-2008, 03:34 PM
What is with all those homers lately

d34ng3l021
11-04-2008, 03:36 PM
And of course we've all come to the realization that one play that's highlighted by Cowboys haters is reason enough to completely label a guy as a lack of effort type, right? Geezus people, watch him play before you open your yap.

I am not a Cowboy hater and I dont want to label him as a lack of effort type player, but that play is really disappointing from the viewpoint of a person who enjoys the NFL. You hate to see a guy who doesn't give it his all for 60 minutes on Sunday.

Burns336
11-04-2008, 03:37 PM
What is with all those homers lately

It's not homer.

I mean look at this thread. Determining the quality of a player over 1 play?

So lets say no attention was ever brought to this specific play and instead I posted a video of his pick6 earlier in the game and made a thread called: Mike Jenkins "Ballhawk extraordinaire"

He and Scandrick have both played well for Rookies. To be completely honest, they've both played better than Anthony Henry. Teams look his way first.

Gay Ork Wang
11-04-2008, 03:38 PM
I never said he is horrible. But Talib has been better than Jenkins

Burns336
11-04-2008, 03:41 PM
I am not a Cowboy hater and I dont want to label him as a lack of effort type player, but that play is really disappointing from the viewpoint of a person who enjoys the NFL. You hate to see a guy who doesn't give it his all for 60 minutes on Sunday.

When teams are getting their asses kicked with no hope and crap at QB, you'd see this on a lot of teams.

Hell, even Randy Moss still disappears. Guys stop running as hard, people look to protect themselves.

Tell me what he gets out of getting run over by Ward with 5 min left in a game which is out of reach? It's the same thing as Brady or Manning going down after only being barely touched -- They're protecting themselves from unnecessary risk.

Gay Ork Wang
11-04-2008, 03:42 PM
And then people call the fines are the reasons by its becoming a pansys league.

Burns336
11-04-2008, 03:42 PM
I never said he is horrible. But Talib has been better than Jenkins

He has more picks. I haven't watched him enough to know what else he's done.

He was beat deep and was often a few steps behind T.O. but Brad couldn't get him the ball so I know he got some hype for "hanging with T.O." during the telecast.

MetSox17
11-04-2008, 03:44 PM

Yeah, you hate to see it, but you also have to understand that it's extremely rare to find those guys that every single play are out there breaking their necks for their team. I'd go as far as to say that almost every player out there takes a play or two off during a game, just not many of them get highlighted like a Cowboys player would.

Gay Ork Wang
11-04-2008, 03:44 PM
He has more picks. I haven't watched him enough to know what else he's done.

He was beat deep and was often a few steps behind T.O. but Brad couldn't get him the ball so I know he got some hype for "hanging with T.O." during the telecast.
Talib is exactly doing what he is supposed to be, so why did u knock on him for playing in a Tampa 2?

d34ng3l021
11-04-2008, 03:47 PM
Yeah, you hate to see it, but you also have to understand that it's extremely rare to find those guys that every single play are out there breaking their necks for their team. I'd go as far as to say that almost every player out there takes a play or two off during a game, just not many of them get highlighted like a Cowboys player would.

Taking a play off means making a pansy attempt at a tackle. Not trying to rush the passer. Giving a poor jam to the WR. Jenkins flat out did nothing.

Im_a_Romosexual
Deion Sanders never gave effort tackling.

Not that it's ok not too.

Edit: or comparing the two

MetSox17
Taking a play off means making a pansy attempt at a tackle. Not trying to rush the passer. Giving a poor jam to the WR. Jenkins flat out did nothing.

He contained the outside run. That's doing something.

Gay Ork Wang
11-04-2008, 03:48 PM
well apparently containing and actually stopping are 2 different things

d34ng3l021
11-04-2008, 03:49 PM

lol. This is true. By seeing the runner come at him and positioning himself in such a way, he did contain the outside run.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
11-04-2008, 04:10 PM
Defending this play is inexcusable. That is not what a player gets paid to do, and if i were a teammate, busting my ass, I wouldn't be to impressed. That type of play should never happen, rookie or not.

I agree that generalizing a player on one play is obviously stupid, this is in no way a good representation of his performance this season. If people are making that type of conclusion, i'm speechless, however, i fail to believe that anyone is doing that. Defending that play though, shows lack of understanding and an equal level of homerism from the other perspective.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
11-04-2008, 04:11 PM

Speechless. I'm going to assume this was a joke, it is the only way this could have been intentionally posted.

Burns336
11-04-2008, 04:22 PM
Talib is exactly doing what he is supposed to be, so why did u knock on him for playing in a Tampa 2?

Not necessarily knocking him, I just think he's limited to that system. Not that it is a bad thing. He's got good ball skills and hes a physical player. They drafted a guy to fit the system instead of trying to fit a square peg in a circular hole.

All I am saying is he hasn't done anything to say "wow this guy is head and shoulders above the other rookies" just like jenkins hasn't done anything to say "oh this guy is awful" which is what this thread is about.

I mean sure, he could of stood on front of the guy and it probably would have looked similar to Jacobs vs. Landry. I don't mind that he didn't put himself in that spot.

Burns336
11-04-2008, 04:23 PM
Defending this play is inexcusable. That is not what a player gets paid to do, and if i were a teammate, busting my ass, I wouldn't be to impressed. That type of play should never happen, rookie or not.

I agree that generalizing a player on one play is obviously stupid, this is in no way a good representation of his performance this season. If people are making that type of conclusion, i'm speechless, however, i fail to believe that anyone is doing that. Defending that play though, shows lack of understanding and an equal level of homerism from the other perspective.

It def was a play he pussed out on. No doubt about that. It wasn't a lack of effort, it was being a *****.

Either way, we have to defend the play in order to counteract the "jenkins sucks"

just the rules of being a homer.

BmoreBlackByrdz
11-04-2008, 04:29 PM
Worse thing is, hes going to go pick up his paycheck thinking he had a great game with a pick 6. Everyones talking about Talib and Jenkins but whatever happened to Leodis MeKelvin?

LonghornsLegend
11-04-2008, 05:10 PM
I like Mike, but the play pissed me off of course...With that being said, only a Cowboy player would get a thread started just so everyone can pile on.

MetSox17
11-04-2008, 05:31 PM
Speechless. I'm going to assume this was a joke, it is the only way this could have been intentionally posted.

E-sarcasm is difficult to pick up.

I like Mike, but the play pissed me off of course...With that being said, only a Cowboy hater would get a thread started just so everyone can pile on.

Fixed that to what i really think you meant.

SuperMcGee
11-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Worse thing is, hes going to go pick up his paycheck thinking he had a great game with a pick 6. Everyones talking about Talib and Jenkins but whatever happened to Leodis MeKelvin?

McKelvin is too far down the depth chart. He had one start and was picked on the whole game. We didn't expect too much from him this year, maybe next year with a year under his belt and Jabari Greer set to become a FA.

Matthew Jones
11-04-2008, 05:41 PM

The main concern with him coming out of the draft was that he played with no heart. Apparently that hasn't changed.

MetSox17
11-04-2008, 05:44 PM
The main concern with him coming out of the draft was that he played with no heart. Apparently that hasn't changed.

Your O.P is enough to show me that you have nothing insightful to say about my team, so try convincing other people if you'd like. You're only proving me right with the posts you make defending it, so give it up.

Tampa 2 4 life
11-04-2008, 05:49 PM
God dammit MJ.

Burns336
11-04-2008, 05:50 PM

The main concern was not with heart, but with playing down to his competition.

The said he had "lazy" performances against weaker opponents and only put forth a full effort against the more talented challenges.

So far there have been no reports about him being lazy. The only negatives were about him switching from a bump-n-run college scheme to a "play your guy 12 yards off and give him up whatever he wants underneath" scheme and having trouble adjusting.

Maybe this has to do with all the competition in the NFL being good. I don't know. What I can say for sure if this is the only play that has been a reflection of not laying it all out there.

BmoreBlackByrdz
11-04-2008, 06:05 PM
McKelvin is too far down the depth chart. He had one start and was picked on the whole game. We didn't expect too much from him this year, maybe next year with a year under his belt and Jabari Greer set to become a FA.

Oh not bad, but I still don't expect much from him. Never really high on him.

Ravens1991
11-04-2008, 06:21 PM
I remember some people thought we should have taken this wimp over Flacco. I am glad we got Flacco over him. At least dive at his ankles or something.

Bruce Banner
11-04-2008, 07:20 PM
What has Talib done? Picked off a tipped ball and a couple others? Played in a tamp 2 with safeties covering his ass allowing him to play in the only system in which he could succeed?

Talib has played a lot of man this year. That is why the Buccaneers chose him. For whatever reason they are starting to get away from running a pure Tampa 2.

He is a "big corner that can play some bump and run". He can also play the corner by giving him major cushion. Often being placed on the other team's #1 receiver.

Kiffin on drafting Talib, "It had nothing to do with the system....you can't play Tampa 2 all day.....the thing about Talib is that he can run, you can't teach size and speed".

He has shown that he can play on some of the better receivers such as Terrell Owens. (It wasn't all Brad Johnson's fault, Aqib took away a lot of good passes)

People need to quit using the system against him. He is a better corner than Jenkins....get over it.

bored of education
11-04-2008, 07:21 PM
Flowers > Talib > Jenkins

D-Unit
11-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Typical typical typical. The masses rush to judgment based off one highlighted play. Silly.

Yes, the reaction of Jenkins was terrible. There should be no excuses. But c'mon. He was caught on tape so he got exposed. Guys give less effort on some plays more than others. It's natural. It's unavoidable. It's called recovering. ...and let's get one thing straight. Jenkins didn't give up that TD all by himself. The whole Dallas defense struggled.

One good play doesn't make the player and one bad play doesn't either. The overreaction on this forum makes me laugh.

So for the guys who make their judgments off one play... Tell me... What did you think of his pick 6?

bored of education
11-04-2008, 07:53 PM
what pick 6? lol

Bruce Banner
11-04-2008, 07:54 PM
what pick 6? lol

++.

That should have been worth 3 points.

bored of education
11-04-2008, 07:54 PM
++.

That should have been worth 3 points.

/me mounts Bruce Banner

M.O.T.H.
11-04-2008, 09:16 PM
Yeah he's awful alright. Are you serious? geez, someone obviously isnt watching the games if you think he is awful. He has played very well for a rookie and has shown flashes of excellence. He is going to be fantastic in the long run.

When your offense takes you out of the game...defensive players sometimes roll over and that's what happened here. He's a young player who made a mistake but, he is by no means an awful player and he is certainly a 1st round talent...who still fell to us.

Matthew Jones
11-04-2008, 09:17 PM
So for the guys who make their judgments off one play... Tell me... What did you think of his pick 6?

That was a gimme. Eli Manning underthrew Plax by ten yards. I can't believe Cowboy fans want to let someone off the hook who showed a complete lack of effort. That's sad.

Tampa 2 4 life
11-04-2008, 09:19 PM
That was a gimme. Eli Manning underthrew Plax by ten yards. I can't believe Cowboy fans want to let someone off the hook who showed a complete lack of effort. That's sad.

...You realize at USF Mike Jenkins never had ANY heart issues right? Oh, you're just going to spew bull? That's cool too.

Number 10
11-04-2008, 09:20 PM

Jenkins made a read on the play before Eli even threw the ball. Not a lot of rookies could have done that.

D-Unit
11-04-2008, 09:21 PM
A complete gimme? Wow. What a joke. Watch it again. Jenkins closed in on that pass like a speeding missle.

D-Unit
11-04-2008, 09:22 PM
what pick 6? lol

http://www.dallascowboys.com/images/MikeJenkins_Giants_110208_300.jpg

M.O.T.H.
11-04-2008, 09:23 PM
I cant believe someone is calling him awful after seeing one bad play. Why dont you actually watch him play a full game. He probably has the best feet of any corner on the team and has done a fine job of filling in. He is a hell of a talent and they got on him for this. That had to be one of the dumbest things I've heard on this board in a while. Mike Jenkins is a 1st round talent through and through, who could have went a lot higher. ughhhh.

and who ever questioned his heart?

D-Unit
11-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Now if you wanna criticize someone... Who else saw Bradie James taking out his own teammates? hahaha... he was such a clown.

M.O.T.H.
11-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Now if you wanna criticize someone... Who else saw Bradie James taking out his own teammates? hahaha... he was such a clown.

meh...Tank does it all the time.

Burns336
11-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Talib has played a lot of man this year. That is why the Buccaneers chose him. For whatever reason they are starting to get away from running a pure Tampa 2.

He is a "big corner that can play some bump and run". He can also play the corner by giving him major cushion. Often being placed on the other team's #1 receiver.

Kiffin on drafting Talib, "It had nothing to do with the system....you can't play Tampa 2 all day.....the thing about Talib is that he can run, you can't teach size and speed".

He has shown that he can play on some of the better receivers such as Terrell Owens. (It wasn't all Brad Johnson's fault, Aqib took away a lot of good passes)

People need to quit using the system against him. He is a better corner than Jenkins....get over it.

Oh, I forgot we were able to tell which players are better than others based off of the first halves of their rookie season. That damn Mario Williams sucks!

Burns336
11-04-2008, 09:27 PM

Dude, even if Plax turned around it was going to be a battle for the ball. He jumped that route perfectly. He guessed right and it payed off.

Burns336
11-04-2008, 09:28 PM
I cant believe someone is calling him awful after seeing one bad play. Why dont you actually watch him play a full game. He probably has the best feet of any corner on the team and has done a fine job of filling in. He is a hell of a talent and they got on him for this. That had to be one of the dumbest things I've heard on this board in a while. Mike Jenkins is a 1st round talent through and through, who could have went a lot higher. ughhhh.

and who ever questioned his heart?

Banner or ROP was just making stuff up and getting his facts wrong. He said their was a knock on his heart coming out of college, I corrected him by saying the knock was on him for playing down to the competition.

Matthew Jones
11-04-2008, 09:29 PM
...You realize at USF Mike Jenkins never had ANY heart issues right? Oh, you're just going to spew bull? That's cool too.

Check the 2008 Pro Football Weekly draft guide.

Bruce Banner
11-04-2008, 09:30 PM
Banner or ROP was just making stuff up and getting his facts wrong. He said their was a knock on his heart coming out of college, I corrected him by saying the knock was on him for playing down to the competition.

Wasn't me.

but playing down to competition???????

Burns336
11-04-2008, 09:32 PM
Wasn't me.

but playing down to competition???????

Yeah, the knock was that when USF played scrubs he didn't do much. When he played against more touted receivers he turned it on.

M.O.T.H.
11-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Well I've seen every game Mike Jenkins has played in the last two years (collegiate) and no, a lack of heart was not really evident. Did he play down to the competition sometimes? Yes but, that is going to happen when he is so much better than the level of talent he was typically up against and yes he played a little lackadaisically at times...but, his heart should never be questioned. He is one of the hardest working guys out there, he loves what he does, and he lead by example while at USF.

It was one play...yes all of us fans REALLY disliked it but, it was one play and the coaches have chewed him out for it. If you think this has been or will become a weekly occurence, then you're mistaken. Moving on...

D-Unit
11-04-2008, 09:50 PM
meh...Tank does it all the time.
haha... yeah... but at least he doesn't run sideline to sideline cleaning out his teammates. haha.

M.O.T.H.
11-04-2008, 09:53 PM
haha... yeah... but at least he doesn't run sideline to sideline cleaning out his teammates. haha.

What's worse is on the other side of the ball when...Colombo or Leonard Davis knock Barber on his butt. ugh. haha. Colombo has "tackled" Barber like 4 times this year.

DMWSackMachine
11-05-2008, 01:51 AM
I hate to say it, but you guys should quit defending Jenkins. That play was the ultimate embodiment of the problems with our team, and it has trickled all the way down from our head coach. Once you create an atmosphere where people aren't accountable to the people who are their REAL bosses (the fans), then **** goes south fast. Jenkins should have been immediately pulled from the game, fined an exorbitant amount, and benched for at least one game. And I don't care if you have to bring in Pete Hunter off the street to take his place. Its inexcusable to give up on a play like that. And its chicken ****. Quit making excuses.

Now, does this make him a bad player? No, it doesn't. He's been fair so far, and has improved by leaps and bounds the last 2 weeks. He seems to be figuring it out right now, coverage wise. Everyone who says that this one play is proof of him being a poor player is just as stupid as people trying to defend his indefensible lack of heart.

Bruce Banner
11-05-2008, 01:53 AM
I hate to say it, but you guys should quit defending Jenkins. That play was the ultimate embodiment of the problems with our team, and it has trickled all the way down from our head coach. Once you create an atmosphere where people aren't accountable to the people who are their REAL bosses (the fans), then **** goes south fast. Jenkins should have been immediately pulled from the game, fined an exorbitant amount, and benched for at least one game. And I don't care if you have to bring in Pete Hunter off the street to take his place. Its inexcusable to give up on a play like that. And its chicken ****. Quit making excuses.

Now, does this make him a bad player? No, it doesn't. He's been fair so far, and has improved by leaps and bounds the last 2 weeks. He seems to be figuring it out right now, coverage wise. Everyone who says that this one play is proof of him being a poor player is just as stupid as people trying to defend his indefensible lack of heart.

This is a great post.

No one could spin that play.

D-Unit
11-05-2008, 02:53 AM

I still think this is an overreaction. Does anyone here solely blame him for the TD?

Yeah, we want our players to be all "rah rah" 100% of the time. Bottom line, these players are human. Our team was at the point where they felt demoralized. On the field and off the field. All of them were moping with their heads down. Was the game within reach? No. Was it an insignificant TD? Yes.

Jenkins is going to be a great player.

D-Unit
11-05-2008, 02:59 AM
I could give you a long list of Cowboys players who showed a complete lack of effort that I don't want to let off the hook. ...you're talking about 1 play in a situation where the game was already determined.

Burns336
11-05-2008, 04:16 AM
I was even demoralized as a fan at that point. No more yelling, no more getting off the couch.

There is only so much Brad-n-Brooks any human (player, coach, fan) can stand to take. It gets real rough sometimes.

yourfavestoner
11-05-2008, 05:37 AM

"The Tampa Tribune is reporting that Buccaneers officials have said that they will select USF cornerback Mike Jenkins if he is available at their selection."

Sorry, but it's still funny to me.

bored of education
11-05-2008, 06:41 AM
"The Tampa Tribune is reporting that Buccaneers officials have said that they will select USF cornerback Mike Jenkins if he is available at their selection."

Sorry, but it's still funny to me.

that is the quote i was looking for

Tampa 2 4 life
11-05-2008, 04:33 PM
Check the 2008 Pro Football Weekly draft guide.

I'll ******* check my eyes and what I hear thank you very much.

DMWSackMachine
11-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Its not an overreaction, D. There are a lot of things that you can let slide when things are going awful. If its a guy who doesn't pursue from behind at full speed, or who doesn't fight to get off the ground after he's been pancaked by a much larger player, or if someone doesn't quite run his routes at full speed when he knows there's no way in hell that he will get the ball anyway...ok. Those are things that aren't good signs, but that I can at least make allowances for in a ball game in which you don't stand a chance because of one or two players who kill your team.

But this was a case where the ball was coming right at him, he was in position to make the tackle and do his job. He was ON THE BALL. There is a big difference between on ball and off ball plays. Off the ball, you usually have a very small chance at making a play and must play full speed for an entire game just on the off chance that you get ONE chance at a play. On the ball, however, the WHOLE TEAM is relying on you making the play, and getting your job done....or at least giving it everything you have. Off ball mistakes are often insignificant. On ball mistakes kill you almost every time.

And he didn't even try. HE DIDN'T EVEN TRY. There's no way you can excuse that, I don't care what the circumstances or the mitigating factors. At least throw yourself at his feet and make him jump over you. Anything.

But don't get me wrong. It doesn't mean he won't be a good player. But there is still no excuse for it.

M.O.T.H.
11-05-2008, 07:02 PM
We weren't defending that play at all...we all know how bad it was. I was defending the player because, there were some people saying he was awful or was known for having no heart...w/ no evidence or info to back up such false statments.