PDA

View Full Version : Raiders to cut DeAngelo Hall?

Pages : [1] 2

Jughead10
11-04-2008, 07:24 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/category/adam-schefter/

Hines
11-04-2008, 07:25 PM
You beat me to it. What a shame this is. I bet Atlanta is laughing at the Raiders right now.

Shoul've spent that money on Aso instead of an inconsistant, headcase cornerback.

Thigamahjigee
11-04-2008, 07:25 PM
This would further increase the stupidity of the Raiders.

bored of education
11-04-2008, 07:26 PM
hmm where does he go from here..New England. He would fit in with those dirty scum bag players on that team

Bruce Banner
11-04-2008, 07:27 PM
Hall to the Patriots would almost be as unfair as Moss to the Pats was last year.

princefielder28
11-04-2008, 07:28 PM
OMG I can't stop laughing

Oakland is a joke

DraftMichaelHuff
11-04-2008, 07:28 PM
oh my god. Thats crazy.

Come back to the ATL for the vet minimum lol. Wont happen

Cowboys most likely

Paul
11-04-2008, 07:29 PM
A big name Cornerback? I wonder where he's going to go....

doingthisinsteadofwork
11-04-2008, 07:29 PM
I still can't believe we got rid of Fabs for this guy.Or that I thought this guy would be an improvement over Fabs.Hes easily the worst starting CB in the league.Both Routt and Huff are better corners.

d34ng3l021
11-04-2008, 07:30 PM
Oh my god! Looks like we got a 2nd rounder for free.

I honestly wouldn't mind signing him. He is about the same talent level as our players anyway.

Jughead10
11-04-2008, 07:31 PM
Hall to the Patriots would almost be as unfair as Moss to the Pats was last year.

Hall isn't that great. He's not going to the Pats anyway, my bet is Dallas or the Skins. This has their names written all over it.

The Dynasty
11-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Lmao wow. Oakland is just amazing. You never know what they going to do.

I sort of wish the vikings were more of competitive team this year because we need a CB but I wouldnt want him with his drama.

Ill say he ends up in Dallas.

LonghornsLegend
11-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Oakland is a crap of a franchise, I feel bad for their true fans who put up with this crap...You basically wasted all that money and a 2nd when you had an elite corner still without a deal.

This has got to be one of the worst moves since Javon Walker got 50+ million or even like when Tommie Kelly got 50+ million, oh wait...

Bruce Banner
11-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Hall isn't that great.

I could see him taking it to the next level (not trash) if he went to NE.

bored of education
11-04-2008, 07:34 PM
He is still a sick talent

Dr. Gonzo
11-04-2008, 07:35 PM
I can for sure see him signing in New England. I think like Moss he needs to be on a team that is good before he actually starts to try. I remember arguments I had about how Hall just wasn't really that good.

I really do feel bad for the Raiders.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-04-2008, 07:36 PM
If he is cut, I can see him landing with the Skins. Maybe Baltimore too. C-mac and Samari are oft injured.

Thigamahjigee

I honestly wouldn't mind signing him. He is about the same talent level as our players anyway.

Haha. Not even close. Hall's still a big time corner although he hasn't played like one this season. How quickly people forget how great he was. He's still very young, and this would be a humbling experience, I'd imagine, which would be good for Hall.

doingthisinsteadofwork
Oakland is a crap of a franchise, I feel bad for their true fans who put up with this crap...You basically wasted all that money and a 2nd when you had an elite corner still without a deal.
I was saying this back before the draft.We never needed him and it's proven to be another mistake.

d34ng3l021
11-04-2008, 07:37 PM
I kind of want to blame Rob Ryan. He has played terrible, but the Raiders fans were saying that Rob Ryan sucks and that Hall had picked up his play for a couple of games. He is still inconsistent, but he would be an upgrade of anything we have. I want him. I want my username to be validated again.

What do you guys think are the chances he looks at ATL? Or ATL looks at him? He seems to have a good relationship with the Falcons (visited team hotel before the game).

Oh by the way, what are the implications of the cap?

renegade
11-04-2008, 07:37 PM
Oakland Raiders = fail
Al Davis = Epic Fail

Bruce Banner
11-04-2008, 07:39 PM

They just raped their cap.

bored of education
the cap bent the raiders over

Geo
1. The Raiders are not an NFL franchise. They are in the NFL, but they are not an NFL franchise. It's a sad state of affairs, to say the least.

I'm sorry to say this, even though I've always disliked the Raiders and will likely continue to do so, because I dig the Raiders fans we have on NFLDC. Always fun to talk football and the Draft with those guys.

Al Davis can't leave this franchise, or at least personnel decision-making, soon enough.

2. Okay, from the Raiders' perspective: if they release Hall this year, they are on the hook for $8M plus the 2nd round pick they gave up. Too much obviously, but as Schefter noted, they don't want to risk him getting injured and having to be on the hook for 16M more guaranteed money (probably a roster bonus after the first year, just in case). Might as well save that money to give it to Nnamdi Asomugha, like they should have from the very beginning.

But I don't like them releasing him, because he could potentially (I stress this) help another team this season. That loser turd gets his 8M for eight games and also gets to leave Oakland. That's wrong. However if this happens, Schefter says they are going to waive him (not release him?), so that could mean that hopefully a bad team with high waiver priority picks him up off waivers. Not a playoff team.

3. I have always hated this piece of trash and always will. I would never want him on my team, he is not a winner. He only plays for himself and is full of his own ****.

Hines
11-04-2008, 07:42 PM
I think if you place Hall on a winning team, he will become a top player and try. I would love for the Steelers to get him, but not for the money he is looking for. In that case, I pass.

GB12
11-04-2008, 07:42 PM
Crazy ****.
3. I have always hated this piece of trash and always will. I would never want him on my team, he is not a winner. He only plays for himself and is full of his own ****. However at least he is being waived, so hopefully a bad team with high waiver priority picks him up off waivers. Not a playoff team.
Yeah, but then they have to pick up his contract. I don't know if any bad team would be willing to do that.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-04-2008, 07:43 PM
Thinking now I think Baltimore is a good fit for him. Chris McCalister and Samari Rolle have been hurt all year and both are old and the Ravens will consider cutting McCalister this year or the next. If Ray Lewis can't motivate you to play to your potential than you are hopeless. Being on the tutelage of guys like Ray Lewis and Ed Reed would be so beneficial. However it would be disastrous if he starts hanging around goons like Bart Scott, Willis Mcgahee, and Terrell Suggs.

Geo
11-04-2008, 07:44 PM
They could always cut him after the season, and not be on the hook for any guaranteed money. Just the base salary for the rest of this season only.

At least I think that is how it would/will be.

Btw, I can't be the only one who thought Dallas?

d34ng3l021
11-04-2008, 07:44 PM
I really agree. If he tries, he can be good. Inconsistent coaching schemes and temper always gets the best of him. If he comes back to ATL, he will be on a winning team with a bright future.

Ravens1991
11-04-2008, 07:45 PM
I would bet $ that the Ravens at least talk to him.

Number 10
11-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Dallas or Washington please.

I don't want him here.

Thigamahjigee
11-04-2008, 07:47 PM
I kind of want to blame Rob Ryan. He has played terrible, but the Raiders fans were saying that Rob Ryan sucks and that Hall had picked up his play for a couple of games. He is still inconsistent, but he would be an upgrade of anything we have. I want him. I want my username to be validated again.

What do you guys think are the chances he looks at ATL? Or ATL looks at him? He seems to have a good relationship with the Falcons (visited team hotel before the game).

There was a report of him starting stuff on the way to the lockers with some of our guys. I personally think we are taking a turn away from players with egos, so I'd doubt it. I know Hall had value here still though.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-04-2008, 07:49 PM
Dallas or Washington please.

I don't want him here.

Although he is familiar with the area and Washington might overspend and go for big names although not nearly as much any more, but we don't go with bad character guys. You'd be hard pressed to name a single bad character guy on this team now. Zorn just has a positive vibe going around here. All you will find are blue character guys like London Fletcher,Shawn Springs, Chris Samuels, Rocky McIntosh, Chris Horton, Jon Jansen, Jason Campbell etc. The only not model character guys are Portis, Cooley, Smoot, and Sellers, but they are the weird/goofy type, not the trouble making bad work ethic kind of guys. I really can't think of a skin on this team who is a lazy worker. Our only controversy the past few years was Portis's comments, but that was more along Brian Mitchell being a punk and acting like he was the ish.

scottyboy
11-04-2008, 07:51 PM
i agree with the afore-mentioned teams, but a sleeper would be the Jets. I could see them bringing him in.

but holy **** Raiders, really?

Paranoidmoonduck
Sigh. If it's not one thing then it's another...

I'm fine with this. I liked the theory of DeAngelo Hall and Nnamdi Asomugha, but only Aso has showed up this season and I'd rather get rid of Hall now than lose more money (money that could conceivably go to resigning Nnamdi) hoping he'll turn it around. It sucks we lost a second rounder, but at least this would indicate that Al isn't too proud to admit a mistake and rectify it as soon as possible.

DraftMichaelHuff
I dont want him near Atlanta and im certain Dimitroff & co. have a chuckle and dont give it a 2nd thought. He embodies everything we eradicated and is a polar opposite to everything that has brough this team together and made us win.

I liked Hall when he was a Falcon but can see now that that type of personality does not lead to team success

renegade
11-04-2008, 07:52 PM
I would like to see him go to the Jaguars.

SaintsMan
11-04-2008, 07:53 PM
Before Hall got traded, he said he told Sean Payton after a game between the Falcons and Saints, he would play for New Orleans for league minimum.

He must want to make our Secondary suck even more. Hall is worse than Jason David with both arms tied behind his back.

diabsoule
Please cut him and come to New Orleans. Please. Be a Saint.

WMD
DeAngelo Hall to the Giants or Titans!

GB12
11-04-2008, 07:54 PM
i agree with the afore-mentioned teams, but a sleeper would be the Jets. I could see them bringing him in.

but holy **** Raiders, really?The Jets don't have the cap space to sign him.

Bruce Banner
11-04-2008, 07:56 PM

The rest of the NFC South agrees.

but really. You guys have a major window opening up. I wouldn't want to ruin that.

scottyboy
11-04-2008, 07:57 PM
The Jets don't have the cap space to sign him.

ah yes that's true.

but if he passes waivers, he won't be in position to be making high contract demands.

SaintsMan
11-04-2008, 07:57 PM

We need Secondary help, right? Why would we sign this loser?

Geo
11-04-2008, 07:58 PM
If Rotoworld has it right (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=Nfl&id=2773), and I interpret it right, then Hall has a base '08 salary of 1M dollars. Minus 8 games played so far with the Raiders, then he could be had for 500K for the remainder of the regular season.

Again, not 100 percent sure though.

And not sure, if he gets injured with a team that claims him, if they would be on the hook for that 16M guaranteed. Because every team would probably pass on that risk.

Thigamahjigee
The rest of the NFC South agrees.

but really. You guys have a major window opening up. I wouldn't want to ruin that.

Huh? That'd be a HUGE add for the Saints.

GB12
ah yes that's true.

but if he passes waivers, he won't be in position to be making high contract demands.
If he passes waivers I doubt he'd choose the Jets.

I don't think the Jets would even want him anyway with how good Revis and Lowery have been.

Bruce Banner
11-04-2008, 07:59 PM

Joey Galloway and Steve Smith say hi!

renegade
11-04-2008, 08:00 PM

have you seen DeAngelo Hall play? He was overrated in ATL, but at least he was a good/above average CB (not top 5 or top 10) but this season he is flat out terrible.

Thigamahjigee
11-04-2008, 08:03 PM

Yes. How could I forget their combined 9 catches in 4 games?

Bruce Banner
11-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Yes. How could I forget their combined 9 catches in 4 games?

You don't get it.

ChezPower4
11-04-2008, 08:05 PM
If Oakland really goes through with cutting Hall, I will really believe that the Raiders do not care about winning.

doingthisinsteadofwork
As for Baltimore fans I don't know how well Fabs is doing but if you had to ask me whos the better corner I'd take Fabs anyday over this loser.

Thigamahjigee
have you seen DeAngelo Hall play? He was overrated in ATL, but at least he was a good/above average CB (not top 5 or top 10) but this season he is flat out terrible.

I've actually seen DeAngelo play about every game of his NFL career. Thank you for asking. This overrated thing is becoming annoying. He made the Pro-Bowl one year because of name recognition and he shouldn't have. Then he didn't make it last year when he should have. So, should we call every player who makes an undeserving pro-bowl once in their careers overrated? That would be a long list my friend.

doingthisinsteadofwork
11-04-2008, 08:06 PM
If Oakland really goes through with cutting Hall, I will really believe that the Raiders do not care about winning.
How do you come to that conclusion?He's one of the many reasons this team sucks.

BamaFalcon59
11-04-2008, 08:06 PM

Hall owned them both on a consistent basis. Galloway had one nice touchdown catch on a slant and go/ sluggo, and Smith got into his head. But neither of them got open on him much.

Thigamahjigee
11-04-2008, 08:07 PM
You don't get it.

I suppose not. The fact that Galloway beat him on a sluggo? The fact that Smith is an annoying maggot who got under Hall's skin and got the better of him? I'm not sure what your driving it, but his blowup is pretty publicized, but never the fact he held Smith to 1 catch for 10 yards that game.

renegade
11-04-2008, 08:07 PM

Hall has 4.3 speed, Al Davis wouldn't cut him, remember the Raiders scout staff consists of a stop watch.

Bruce Banner
11-04-2008, 08:08 PM
I wasn't being serious.

I can't believe I have to say it.

gameplaya2435
11-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Just curious, do you think the Browns would look at bringing him in?

keylime_5
11-04-2008, 08:09 PM
this means oakland is gonna pick Jenkins or Davis knowing how Al Davis drafts a DB any time he has an excuse to in the first round, right?

Thigamahjigee
11-04-2008, 08:12 PM
I wasn't being serious.

I can't believe I have to say it.

My apologies. With some of the ignorant posts in this thread about DeAngelo, it was hard to tell.

keylime_5

seriously doubt it. don't have cap room for 2008 anyhow. the starting corners in cleveland are good, we need a nickel though, they aren't gonna bring in a high profile corner like that anytime soon.

Bruce Banner
My apologies. With some of the ignorant posts in this thread about DeAngelo, it was hard to tell.

He's a great talent with a bad head on his shoulders.

He'll be picked up.

doingthisinsteadofwork
11-04-2008, 08:13 PM
Hall has 4.3 speed, Al Davis wouldn't cut him, remember the Raiders scout staff consists of a stop watch.

Huff,Routt,and Branch all run in the 4.3s to.Not to mention they're all better than Hall.

oldLibid21
11-04-2008, 08:14 PM

Are you serious? Do you remember what it was like when DeAngelo Hall was in Atlanta? He was a team cancer, and he had no respect for the coaches. What makes you think he'll be different? He's a headcase, and he's not worth a roster spot on this team.

And I'm not worried we'll be signing him, because I doubt he'll pass Dimitroff's personality test anyways, which is why we traded him in the first place.

aNYtitan
11-04-2008, 08:14 PM

That wouldn't be a bad idea considering the Browns defense is awful, awful, its just awful. I was thinking of the Titans (homerism) but I don't see it happening since the Pacman fiasco. Best fits would be Dallas (jerry loves himself speed), Cleveland, Minnesota (someone needs to play opposite Winfield) and what about Denver, try to take control of that weak AFC West and losing Champ Bailey?

BamaFalcon59
11-04-2008, 08:20 PM
The Patriots should bring him in. He would be an absolute star there.

If he gos to the Browns or a team like that then he will be lackluster.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Didn't the Falcons use that pick from the Deangelo Hall trade as the primary basis for moving up to get Sam Baker? If so, really nice.

d34ng3l021
11-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Are you serious? Do you remember what it was like when DeAngelo Hall was in Atlanta? He was a team cancer, and he had no respect for the coaches. What makes you think he'll be different? He's a headcase, and he's not worth a roster spot on this team.

And I'm not worried we'll be signing him, because I doubt he'll pass Dimitroff's personality test anyways, which is why we traded him in the first place.

He had no respect for Petrino, and I dont blame him. Did he have trouble with Mora? I do not remember so. And his last year in Atlanta, he allowed 1 (maybe 2) TDs.

But I agree. I dont think he will pass TD test either. Who knows. Maybe Oakland was a humbling experience. He needs a winning team with coaches he can play for but still have him in line. Petrino was definitely not one of them.

The Dynasty
11-04-2008, 08:46 PM
I just saw the link on espn and they have added, Javon Walker as well who might be cut.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3683124

BNad
11-04-2008, 08:49 PM
I just saw the link on espn and they have added, Javon Walker as well who might be cut.

Alright.. so who else did they give a big contract to this season? Maybe they'll cut Tommy Kelly!

renegade
11-04-2008, 08:49 PM

I've changed my mind.

Raiders = Epic Fail
Al Davis = Colossal Fail

Raiders '08 0ffseason Moves = immeasurable fail

d34ng3l021
11-04-2008, 08:50 PM
I heard they might cut Tommy Kelly too actually.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-04-2008, 08:53 PM
I heard they might cut Tommy Kelly too actually.

Where? Why?

Kelly has easily been Oakland's best defensive lineman this season. He's played some really strong games, and this is with missing almost all of training camp and a lot of the preseason. He was one of the biggest factors in the win over the Jets.

Kelly has been exactly what I expected him to be.

diabsoule
The reason I want him on the Saints is due to our completely crappy depth in the secondary. Him and Mike McKenzie would be very good together.

Geo
Obviously Davis takes the hit for the signing bonuses, but like with Hall, could save millions by cutting a player like Walker after his first season (presumably before additional roster bonuses kick in). Maybe that was the old dog's plan all along.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Obviously Davis takes the hit for the signing bonuses, but like with Hall, could save millions by cutting a player like Walker after his first season (presumably before additional roster bonuses kick in). Maybe that was the old dog's plan all along.

If that's the truth, Al wouldn't have talked Walker out of retiring when Javon offered to before the season started.

renegade
11-04-2008, 09:17 PM
GettingDeAngelo Hall- 7 years, 70 million dollars
Giving Javon Walker a shot- 6 years, 50 million dollars
Giving Tommy Kelly a new contract- 7 years, 50.5 million dollars
Signing Gibril Wilson- 6 years, 39 million dollars

Watching the Raiders fail... Priceless

WMD
11-04-2008, 09:22 PM
Next- Darren McFadden?

NIN1984
11-04-2008, 09:23 PM
That is fantastic news as long as we keep Asomugha.

NIN1984
11-04-2008, 09:24 PM
As for Baltimore fans I don't know how well Fabs is doing but if you had to ask me whos the better corner I'd take Fabs anyday over this loser.

100% true. Fabian played way better than Hall.

bantx
11-04-2008, 09:33 PM
GettingDeAngelo Hall- 7 years, 70 million dollars
Giving Javon Walker a shot- 6 years, 50 million dollars
Giving Tommy Kelly a new contract- 7 years, 50.5 million dollars
Signing Gibril Wilson- 6 years, 39 million dollars

Watching the Raiders fail... Priceless

Claiming Raiders had the best secondary = priceless

But i cant talk either because i said the same about the chargers :[

I blame cottrell

AlexDown
11-04-2008, 09:36 PM
I have only seen one Raider game this year but has Hall really been THIS bad?

locseti
11-04-2008, 09:39 PM
Haha. Not even close. Hall's still a big time corner although he hasn't played like one this season. How quickly people forget how great he was. He's still very young, and this would be a humbling experience, I'd imagine, which would be good for Hall.

Still a big time corner? You are a fool. Obviously you haven't witnessed his 15 yrd cushion - I could catch button hook after button hook against this guy. He is a *****, can't man up on anybody for ****. He is a weak tackler. All of his picks have been bad overthrows where DeAngelo was lurking BEHIND the reciever, or tipped balls. I have yet to see him keep tight man coverage on a receiver and make a good break on the ball. He is terrible.

Can't play with him. Can't win with him. Can't do it.

We should release him based on this fact: "NFL.com reported the move to waive him now helps the Raiders avoid paying Hall $16 million worth of injury-guaranteed bonuses in his contract.

We also will probably release Javon Walker thank God. Funny seeing how these are two of the moves Kiffin disagreed with the most.

LonghornsLegend
11-04-2008, 09:45 PM
They could always cut him after the season, and not be on the hook for any guaranteed money. Just the base salary for the rest of this season only.

At least I think that is how it would/will be.

Btw, I can't be the only one who thought Dallas?

We were interested partially when he was on the block, but at this point HIGHLY doubt it, I think even Jerry knows when enough is enough but thats just me...I'm sure he was tempted to get Randy Moss too, and Chris Henry, but he knows when it's overkill.

BamaFalcon59
11-04-2008, 09:47 PM
I'm still saying Patriots. They could use him and he would perform for a contender.

renegade
11-04-2008, 09:49 PM
I'm still saying Patriots. They could use him and he would perform for a contender.

But does he fit the system?

locseti
11-04-2008, 10:03 PM
He doesn't fit any system that requires him to match up one on one at the line of scrimmage. He is simply not physical and I'm serious when I say that if its 3rd and 7, DeAngelo Fall will be playing 15 yds off his man, and allow a first down 9 times out of 10.

BamaFalcon59
11-04-2008, 10:04 PM
Maybe in Oakland. He was good to great in Atlanta in 2005 and 2007. In 2007 he was a top five cornerback.

locseti
11-04-2008, 10:07 PM
Maybe in Oakland. He was good to great in Atlanta in 2005 and 2007. In 2007 he was a top five cornerback.

Oakland is a solid barometer of how great a corner is - if you can't play man-to-man, you should be a safety.

BamaFalcon59
11-04-2008, 10:12 PM
Oakland is a solid barometer of how great a corner is - if you can't play man-to-man, you should be a safety.

Ok dude, you have no idea what you are talking about. He may have played bad in Oakland, but he was great in Atlanta. 2005 and 2006 we ran a lot of zone. He was good in it in 2005, not in 2006. Then we hired Zimmer from Dallas in 2007 and ran a ton of man. Hall absolutely dominated.

He was better in man for us than zone. Maybe he played horrible in Oakland due to him not performing. Maybe it was coaching. Maybe it was both. But he has played at a high level before. He isn't a trash player.

captainjack27
11-04-2008, 10:14 PM
I think if you place Hall on a winning team, he will become a top player and try. I would love for the Steelers to get him, but not for the money he is looking for. In that case, I pass.

No way the steelers would ever sign a headcase like Hall

locseti
11-04-2008, 10:17 PM
All the action was coming Hall's way. Nobody throws to Nnamdi. He knew it was coming and couldn't do anything about it. I don't care how he played in Atlanta, I care about where a player is right now, and right now Hall is garbage. When you're a corner playing in a system where you are constantly manned up and constantly are losing the one-on-one battle, there is nobody to blame but yourself.

locseti
11-04-2008, 10:20 PM
I can't believe you guys are saying stuff like "If he went to a good team he'd try and be a good player" corner is the most individual position in the game. It's not like the Randy Moss situation where nobody could get him the ball, then when he got to a team that had TOM BRADY he started trying.

holt_bruce81
11-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Javon Walker will be released soon probably.

11-04-2008, 10:32 PM
There is no question in my mind Hall is a 'soft' player who unfortunately lacks the mental part of the game to go along with his elite talent that will forever hold him back from greatness. The skill is still there although it obviously wasn’t so apparent in his now short stint in Oakland.

Part of the blame must still go to Rob Ryan here, imo. Has he been absolutely terrible this season ? Yes and no. We saw brief spurts where it maybe looked as if he could at the very least be a serviceable corner for this team. I sincerely always feel for whomever must be placed across from Aso however it is no excuse for this unforeseen dropoff in play.

As for his next destination, at first thought Baltimore or Washington logically appears to be a great fit. On the flip side you just never know if an owner like Jerry Jones decides to put his name in the hat again for yet another big name corner.

brat316
11-04-2008, 10:32 PM
Hall gets cut someone will pick him up even if he sucks. Maybe he just needs a team with a pass rush or someone to get on him.

Possible teams for next season
Pats
Saints
Falcons
Cowboys-fo real
Balitmore

You could always add him for TC in the offseason get him on as a third stringer.

And Javon just sucks when are the going to drop him like its hot.

CT Bronco Fan
11-04-2008, 10:37 PM

I'm not 100% on this, but if a player is released from a contract during the season he is placed on Waivers. The teams with the worst records would have first bid, and if they pass it would go to the next record, ect. ect. I remember when the Broncos released Lenny Walls, all the Pats fans were upset that they couldn't sign him because of the waiver.

I find it hard to believe that D-Hall would clear waivers long enough for a team with as good a record as the Patriots to be able to grab him.

MetSox17
11-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Making up for lost time.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

A Perfect Score
11-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Bring him to Baltimore, let Ray Lewis smack him around get his head straight, CMac teach him a thing or two, Rex Ryan actually let him play man 2 man, and it will be glorious!

Flyboy
11-04-2008, 10:49 PM
He'll be a Saint.

*crosses fingers*

Halsey
11-04-2008, 10:50 PM
If you thought the Falcons were wrong to trade Hall, you should now see they were clearly very right. The Raiders were the only team that thought Hall was as good as the contract he was seeking. If there was an award for best front office every year, the Falcons would have a nice lead on it.

TimD
11-04-2008, 10:51 PM

but holy **** Raiders, really?

yeah the jets r a sleeper in this. i wouldnt be surprised to see them make a waiver claim for him. lowery has been impressive but for now we need someone else on the opposide side of revis. mangini is great with the secondary so he could probably help him

PackerLegend
11-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Since when do the Raiders cut players that are fast? Anyways what a joke, Al Davis has to die or the Raiders are forever ****ed.

RaiderNation
11-05-2008, 12:13 AM
Man I hope we keep Hall but release Walker instead. Hall hasnt played as well as most thought so far this season but he is still young at only 24. We need a new defence mind. We need to stop playing man and having only 4 rush the passer. I say release Walker so we can keep money to sign Aso with and get rid of Rob Ryan as soon as possible.

Notredameleo
11-05-2008, 12:33 AM
Remember, the Lions have a interim gm who is trying to make a splash with the fans to keep his job next year. He has traded Roy and signed culpepper. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the lions contacted him. Now, if he would even consider going to a no win team, I doubt it.

Rayray52
11-05-2008, 01:06 AM
Al Davis has done the impossible he has become even more inept, predictions for the 09 season Al Davis will release his entire draft class and have a 3 man competition for head coach then fire him during training camp.

BlindSite
11-05-2008, 01:29 AM
I know it sounds insane, but the Panthers have their starting two corners up for FA in consecutive years and Marshall only has two years left on his deal. So pretty much in 2 years the Panthers could lose their top 3 cornerbacks. If he were cheap, he knows the division, is friends with Smith and could feasibly take over either the nickel or 2nd corner role.

Other than that, Detroit needs all the help they can get everywhere on their roster, as do the Bungles and St Louis needs some help as well. He'll find a home.

LonghornsLegend
11-05-2008, 01:35 AM
I know it sounds insane, but the Panthers have their starting two corners up for FA in consecutive years and Marshall only has two years left on his deal. So pretty much in 2 years the Panthers could lose their top 3 cornerbacks. If he were cheap, he knows the division, is friends with Smith and could feasibly take over either the nickel or 2nd corner role.

Other than that, Detroit needs all the help they can get everywhere on their roster, as do the Bungles and St Louis needs some help as well. He'll find a home.

Deangelo Hall & Steve Smith on the same team sounds like fun.

tjsunstein
11-05-2008, 01:46 AM

I feel bad for Javon because he showed some great moments in Green Bay until that dreadful day in Detroit where he was injured. The thing that really changed who he was as a person and as a player was Darrent Williams. Javon's story is very unfortunate but you have to feel for the guy. He offered to get out of Oakland before it started.

Remember, the Lions have a interim gm who is trying to make a splash with the fans to keep his job next year. He has traded Roy and signed culpepper. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the lions contacted him. Now, if he would even consider going to a no win team, I doubt it.

Didn't think of this. It's a maybe. I don't think Hall goes to the Lions like you said though. I would love to see Aaron Rodgers and Co. own him though. :)

Bruce Banner
11-05-2008, 01:50 AM
http://www.sbreport.net/wp-content/deangelo_hall6.jpg

Note his balding.

tjsunstein
11-05-2008, 01:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7zAx7HGMsk&feature=related

Bruce Banner
11-05-2008, 01:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7zAx7HGMsk&feature=related

This is glorious.

Got to love Cutler.

BlindSite
11-05-2008, 02:01 AM
Deangelo Hall & Steve Smith on the same team sounds like fun.

They're actually good friends, Smith just knows how to get in his head. There's probably be a few more punch ons in training camp though.

Vox Populi
11-05-2008, 02:06 AM
Reading thread: Initial reaction... NO WAY

edit. Well, its not a guarantee, but if it goes down, ****, the Raiders are just a joke...

Menardo75
11-05-2008, 02:45 AM
D-Hall has in no way played up to his potential. This move does not suprise me one bit.

SuperKevin
11-05-2008, 03:13 AM
Once again proof that speed does not make you a great football player

UK_Cheesehead
11-05-2008, 04:04 AM
Can't say I'm surprised, nothing the Raiders do anymore surprises me.

I see him going to the Patriots, and if he does it'll end up being a steal like it was with Moss imo, he seems like a twat but if you put him on a team with talent and a chance to win a ring I think he'll actually play well, but who knows.

Could be a good move if they get to keep Aso though.

yourfavestoner
11-05-2008, 06:05 AM
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Content/Image/12-12-2007/DeAngelo-Hall.jpg
My favorite DH moment.

Yatta!
11-05-2008, 06:08 AM
The Raiders are by far the most incompetant franchise in the NFL. Sorry Detroit and all the other contenders but no one can top this for roster management.

Jimmy
11-05-2008, 06:26 AM
if deangelo wants to completely realter his personality, take a giant pay cut, and play half decent, he's certainly welcomed in denver. we're not doing so great at this point.

iloxygenil
11-05-2008, 08:16 AM
He's going to have to clear waivers for a team to sign him otherwise his contract comes with him, once he's a free agent he can sign anywhere for any price. How funny would it be for him to end up in Atlanta for a smallish contract. Haha, I certainly hope he's not a Saint or a Panther. I could see New Orleans trying to make a splash though, but if they do sign him I hope he's on the field Sunday, he was handed Jenkins a touchdown in Oakland.

Hall is still a fantastic corner, he's just gotta get his head on straight, once he does, wherever he ends up, it's going to be trouble. When he was playing his own rogue free agent in Atlanta he was dominating. He locked down his side of the field and forced teams to look the other way, or pay for it. Either way, he was good here. He has 3 INTs on the season and the 2nd most in the league by a corner if I remember right.

Hall's not a joke, it's the Raiders that are the joke. They have a lot more problems than they can solve in 1 free agency period, they have to learn you build through the draft, poor Al Davis. Congrats Atlanta for taking their second round pick and putting it to good use.

bored of education
11-05-2008, 08:27 AM
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Content/Image/12-12-2007/DeAngelo-Hall.jpg
My favorite DH moment.

love that pic!

The Great Jonathan Vilma
11-05-2008, 09:42 AM
Good old Al Davis, he makes this league so much more interesting. Javon and Hall, two great signings.

Where is the D Hall hype now? I guess there aren't many Raider fans willing to back him like there were Atlanta fans (although i understand that his game has regressed, i don't feel he was ever the player many ATL fans hyped him to be)

Saints-Tigers
11-05-2008, 11:50 AM
If he wants to try and stick it to the Falcons, he can come play for the Saints :)

awfullyquiet
11-05-2008, 11:54 AM
if the raiders actually do this. i have no words.

not only is it mindboggling. it's so something the raiders would do...

MetSox17
11-05-2008, 11:57 AM
if the raiders actually do this. i have no words.

not only is it mindboggling. it's so something the raiders would do...

Yes, it is very Raiders-like. What i'm wondering is how they're not taking a bigger hit on the cap. What was his signing bonus?

awfullyquiet
11-05-2008, 12:03 PM
Yes, it is very Raiders-like. What i'm wondering is how they're not taking a bigger hit on the cap. What was his signing bonus?

it hasn't been confirmed yet. has it?

Xonraider
11-05-2008, 01:03 PM
There's a deep wound in my heart right now. Cutting him has made me sure. We'll be bad always. The Raiders will never change.

Komp
11-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Signing Deangelo seemed like a good idea at the beginning of the season, but he has had a target on his back all year playing opposite Nnamdi and he has shown that his man to man skills were probably always overhyped. We should have given Nnamdi a blank cheque this offseason. Not all of this is Hall's fault as the defensive playcalling has been atrocious and if Rob Ryan doesn't get fired this offseason, than we are going to be awful for at least 3 more years. I think Hall can be a decent corner for someone, but its pretty obvious he gets beaten big and often if you target him.

MetSox17
11-05-2008, 01:28 PM
it hasn't been confirmed yet. has it?

Well i sure as hell don't know lol. If he signed a 70 million dollar contract, his bonus should have been at the very least in the 13-17 million range. All that, i imagine accelerates into the cap either this year or next, depending when they cut him. That's a lot of cap.

Also, where are all the Atlanta Falcons/MeAngelo Hall homers now? Just a few months ago he was a top five corner...lol

Thigamahjigee
11-05-2008, 01:33 PM
Well i sure as hell don't know lol. If he signed a 70 million dollar contract, his bonus should have been at the very least in the 13-17 million range. All that, i imagine accelerates into the cap either this year or next, depending when they cut him. That's a lot of cap.

Also, where are all the Atlanta Falcons/MeAngelo Hall homers now? Just a few months ago he was a top five corner...lol

Word is that Thomas Dimitroff had him graded out that highly. I think it's fair to say he's done a good job, and I think his opinion is valid so you can stop laughing.

LonghornsLegend
11-05-2008, 01:45 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3684396

The release has been confirmed...As far as guaranteed, it was 24.5 million.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?confirm=true&template=with-video&id=09000d5d8075340f

So he's made over 30 million for a short stint, I'm sure he's not hurting for cash.

SuperKevin
11-05-2008, 01:48 PM
He'll end up in Dallas in my opinion. They could use a vet in the secondary right now.

LonghornsLegend
11-05-2008, 01:51 PM
He'll end up in Dallas in my opinion. They could use a vet in the secondary right now.

I wouldn't really consider him a vet, Ty Law is a much better option for what we really need, if we take a risk at corner we just stick with Pacman, I know people think Jerry just goes crazy but I think he knows better certain times...He's watched Hall get thrashed this year, it would be different if he had played well and got cut.

Geo
11-05-2008, 01:55 PM

The release has been confirmed...As far as guaranteed, it was 24.5 million.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?confirm=true&template=with-video&id=09000d5d8075340f

So he's made over 30 million for a short stint, I'm sure he's not hurting for cash.
The end of that ESPN article explains why the Raiders won't have to pay 16M of that 24.5M by cutting him during/after this season:

Hall was paid $8 million for eight games; he received a $7 million signing bonus and a $1 million base salary. Because he's a vested veteran, his $1 million salary is guaranteed.

Hall does not have a skills guarantee for 2009, so the Raiders will not owe him a $9.05 million option bonus for the final six years of the deal. Hall also won't receive the $7.5 million base salary he was scheduled to make in 2009.

The penalty for this bad move is 8M and a 2nd round pick. But at least now they can put a younger guy in, who might not even suck as much.

LonghornsLegend
11-05-2008, 01:56 PM
Ahhh missed that, guess it's not so bad parting ways now, but thats a high 2nd rd pick they did lose for nothing but cash though.

Geo
11-05-2008, 01:57 PM
No doubt the Hall acquisition/signing was a bad move by the Raiders. But if they didn't take this action, it would have been an even worse move. If that makes sense.

TimD
11-05-2008, 02:01 PM
so good job raiders?? haha

Flyboy
11-05-2008, 02:24 PM
If he wants to try and stick it to the Falcons, he can come play for the Saints :)

LOL, word. *points to sig*

Be on the opposing side for us, DeAngelo!

tjsunstein
11-05-2008, 02:27 PM
I wish we had a need for secondary help. He's going to a contender.. Anyone else thinking that he'll go to the Dolphins? Just a hunch.

Gay Ork Wang
11-05-2008, 02:31 PM
Im so happy im not a Raiders fan

Splat
11-05-2008, 02:32 PM
Why do so many people want this guy he has been getting picked apart all year?

Vikes99ej
11-05-2008, 02:32 PM
What an embarrassment to the NFL.

locseti
11-05-2008, 02:37 PM
What an embarrassment to the NFL.

Yes, DeAngelo Hall is an embarassment to the NFL.

Vikes99ej
11-05-2008, 02:38 PM
Yes, DeAngelo Hall is an embarassment to the NFL.

Well, I kind of meant the team, too.

locseti
11-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Well, I kind of meant the team, too.

I know, I was being bitter, I'm just glad we cut our losses and are moving on. This actually signals a change in the culture, Davis typically blames bad play on coaches and there is no accountability with the player.

Stash
11-05-2008, 03:10 PM
Definitely surprised to hear this, not that I don't think he deserved to be cut but the fact that Al actually got rid of someone he just invested so much in. Usually we are stuck with guys on the Al Davis scholarship. The fact that we traded for him and signed him in the first place is just another example of how bad Al is and how much we need a GM. Cut Walker next please.

SaintsMan
11-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Why do so many people want this guy he has been getting picked apart all year?

And he's a huge supporter of a guy who loves killing animals in the sickest ways possible. Horrible character.

BaLLiN
11-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Where to next?

Tennessee?
Dallas?
Redskins?
Giants?

Ness
11-05-2008, 04:09 PM
Where to next?

Tennessee?
Dallas?
Redskins?
Giants?

Wherever he goes he shouldn't be demanding any hefty fees. Hall is an overrated corner in my opinion and his latest tenure with Oakland is a testament to that.

D-Unit
11-05-2008, 04:12 PM
I'll be anyone anything that he doesn't end up in Dallas.

ChezPower4
11-05-2008, 04:43 PM
I'll be anyone anything that he doesn't end up in Dallas.

I agree the signing of Hall to the Cowboys would officaly turn them from a football team to travaling circus.

A Perfect Score
11-05-2008, 05:05 PM
Hall will go to the Ravens! Ray Lewis will want him, we have an aging secondary, and Rex Ryan will want him so that he can utilize him and spurn his brother Rob! HA!

Oh god I hope so...as much as Fabian washington is improving, I am very uneasy about our secondary, and I dont think anyone will deny Hall's talent.

Go_Eagles77
11-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Where's the people who called me a homer for saying Asante > Hall?

MetSox17
11-05-2008, 05:11 PM

They're called Atlanta Falcons fans.

Thigamahjigee
11-05-2008, 05:12 PM

If you are looking before this season, they were right. Let me also state that while Hall hasn't been good, Roddy White roasted Asante worse then anyone has done to DeAngelo.

Draft King
11-05-2008, 05:17 PM

Other than loxy and on the rare occasion Bama there is nobody, you need to relax there. DeAngelo is still young, and played extremely well during his tenure at Atlanta.

Thigamahjigee
11-05-2008, 05:19 PM

Ah, yes. Cowboys fans are notorious for not overhyping their players, correct?

Go_Eagles77
11-05-2008, 05:21 PM
If you are looking before this season, they were right. Let me also state that while Hall hasn't been good, Roddy White roasted Asante worse then anyone has done to DeAngelo.

That's 1 game and White is a top 5 receiver this year. That was Samuel's only bad game and he also had a lingering injury, he also didn't let Santana Moss catch a single pass against the skins. Besides Eddie Royal roasted Hall more than White roasted Asante. Try watching more than just 1 game before making an opinion on someone, I don't see any rumors that the eagles are regretting signing Samuel.

Thigamahjigee
11-05-2008, 05:27 PM
That's 1 game and White is a top 5 receiver this year. That was Samuel's only bad game and he also had a lingering injury, he also didn't let Santana Moss catch a single pass against the skins. Besides Eddie Royal roasted Hall more than White roasted Asante. Try watching more than just 1 game before making an opinion on someone, I don't see any rumors that the eagles are regretting signing Samuel.

Oh buddy, how wrong you are. I've watched more then 1 game, and Asante is clearly better this year. Before this year? No. Roddy beat Asante for 2 scores, Royal beat Hall for one. Not to mention, the Raiders played Hall 10 yards off the receiver because of a hand injury that avoided him from jamming the receiver at all. It's moot though. I think Ryan has been terrible for the Raiders this year. On more then one occasion it looked like their defense woke up 15 minutes ago, put on their unis and went out there. I'd love to see how Hall does if he winds up in a place where he can be used to his skill set.

MetSox17
11-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Ah, yes. Cowboys fans are notorious for not overhyping their players, correct?

What does that have to do with anything that's being discussed here?

Thigamahjigee
11-05-2008, 06:48 PM
What does that have to do with anything that's being discussed here?

Thanks for the -rep bud. Just shows that you are even more wrong on this. You say the Falcons fans are being homers. Someone calls out Mike Jenkins, and look who all flocks to protect him? I mean why should he tackle right? He's good at his job of covering! It's the nature of being a fan. The Cowboys' fans as a group show much more of these characteristics then the "Falcons homers" you called out.

d34ng3l021
11-05-2008, 07:09 PM
I would have argued Hall was better than Samuel last year. Maybe better was not the right word, but more valuable, maybe. His ability to play man to man coverage very well was a lot more valuable for me than Samuel's ability to play short zone and make constant breaks on the ball.

They both play different schemes and both of them get exposed when they try the other one (Hall trying zone. Samuel trying man).

Rayray52
11-05-2008, 07:10 PM
How has this once again turned into a homer argument this thread is about DEANGELO HALL, not Giants, Falcons or Cowboys fans or homerism please take that elsewhere.

Now when it comes to Hall i still think hes a great cornerback with elite potential, in Oakland he was playing badly but i dont think that reflects that much on his talent or attitude as much as it does the organization as a whole. Teams like New Orleans or Baltimore could really use a player of his calibre, Baltimore especially. Our corners are ancient (Rolle and Mcallister) and apart from Fabian Washington (thanks AL!) we dont have much else. Picking up Hall would allow us to save a first or secound round pick and use it on a more pressing need like WR.

As far as New Orleans is concerned with Tracey Porter out for the year the team is gonna have to rely on an older Mike Mckenzie coming off major knee surgery and Jason David who has been beyond terrible for them, so he would be a great fit there as well. With plenty of others team lacking at cornerback he shouldent have trouble finding a new home, its just a question of whether he falls to teams with better records like Baltimore, New England, Dallas and the Saints.

Notredameleo
11-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Im guessing he goes to Baltimore!!

MetSox17
11-05-2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the -rep bud. Just shows that you are even more wrong on this. You say the Falcons fans are being homers. Someone calls out Mike Jenkins, and look who all flocks to protect him? I mean why should he tackle right? He's good at his job of covering! It's the nature of being a fan. The Cowboys' fans as a group show much more of these characteristics then the "Falcons homers" you called out.

You're welcome. You deserve it.

How does that show anything aside from me thinking your posts contribute little to nothing to any discussion? Why don't you bring out some game-film on Jenkins? Or is it super-top-secret that only you can see it? :rolleyes:

No one protected Mike Jenkins in the other thread (as if this has ANYTHING to do with what was being discussed here). I understand why he would give up, but i never said i condoned or would like that to continue. Stop posting, please.

Thigamahjigee
11-05-2008, 08:07 PM
Why don't you bring out some game-film on Jenkins? Or is it super-top-secret that only you can see it? :rolleyes:

Film isn't hard to acquire, really. The only thing I wasn't willing to share was my evaluations and scores on players as that isn't made available to the public by my employer, so why should I post it to prove a point? I'm not going to loose sleep because people don't think I'm right or I'm lying for whatever reason. I'd be happy to tell you that Mike Jenkins is no Aqib Talib this season though. ;)

Malaka
11-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Well... Jerry Reese is a prophet... I am so happy the Giants did not trade that 2nd and Danny Ware for D-Hall. I really wanted D-Hall, and we are doing fine a the cornerback spot with Webster playing lights out and Ross playing quite well... as for Hall he has been but by the Raiders, I love JR even more now, if that is even possible.

On the non-Giants hand, Hall has so much potential of he can put it together he can be back to the above average/very good corner he once was, I really liked him... as a player not a person he seems like a punk, and I think if used the right way he can be a pro bowler. I can definitely see the Cowboys pick him up, I mean fine, they will officially become a circus but still, they need a corner... and there is a young corner who was once a probowler... Cowboys taking a lot of risks and having a lot of money... seems like a match made in heaven. Like some other posters said Baltimore, and the Saints also seem like good options to me.

bigbluedefense
11-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Hall is a good talent. He's great in press man coverage. But absolutely terrible in zone coverage.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him go somewhere else and rip it up. He was lights out last year.

Thigamahjigee
11-05-2008, 08:12 PM
Well... Jerry Reese is a prophet... I am so happy the Giants did not trade that 2nd and Danny Ware for D-Hall. I really wanted D-Hall, and we are doing fine a the cornerback spot with Webster playing lights out and Ross playing quite well... as for Hall he has been but by the Raiders, I love JR even more now, if that is even possible.

I don't know about this. Could you imagine the defense if they got last year's DeAngelo? I personally think in that scheme, they would have. Or at least something a lot better than what we are seeing under Ryan.

bigbluedefense
11-05-2008, 08:14 PM
I know Reese wanted him. I wouldnt expect us to get him now, but it wouldn't shock me.

Dallas just makes too much sense. The funny thing is, for all the hate Hall gets by Dalllas fans bc godforbid anyone says he's better than *insert Cowboy*, if he became a Cowboy, he'd get his knob slobbed like you wouldn't believe.

d34ng3l021
11-05-2008, 08:15 PM
I know Reese wanted him. I wouldnt expect us to get him now, but it wouldn't shock me.

Dallas just makes too much sense. The funny thing is, for all the hate Hall gets by Dalllas fans bc godforbid anyone says he's better than *insert Cowboy*, if he became a Cowboy, he'd get his knob slobbed like you wouldn't believe.

Terrence Newman > DeAngelo Hall?

More like

Terrence Newman + DeAngelo Hall > The NFL

Thigamahjigee
11-05-2008, 08:16 PM
Hall is a good talent. He's great in press man coverage. But absolutely terrible in zone coverage.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him go somewhere else and rip it up. He was lights out last year.

I wouldn't say terrible. He's about average there. If you have DeAngelo Hall though, I'm not sure why in the world you'd have him in zone.

11-05-2008, 08:17 PM

More like

Yep. Formula for the prototype corner. :)

bigbluedefense
11-05-2008, 08:19 PM

More like

Terrance Newman himself is the prototype. I love his game. Actually Nmandi is.

Nmandi is perfect. Newman's game is close when hes healthy.

MetSox17
11-05-2008, 08:19 PM
While i wouldn't mind giving Hall a chance to turn it around here in Dallas, i just don't think there's enough room for him, his salary, his ego or the hell that would break loose should they sign him.

If this season is gonna go to the crapper, i'd prefer it go with Mike Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick developing and gaining experience.

renegade
11-05-2008, 08:20 PM
If I were a Raiders fan I might consider praying that Al Davis would die, I actually feel sorry they have to deal with him. Al Davis has lost his touch (he lost a while back) and now he is just some crazy old guy who thinks he knows football, wait... He does know football, just 70's and 80's football. He has no clue how to build a strong team, he puts together teams of overrated players, washed up veterans and workout warrior draft picks (Russell) and some of the troubles could be blamed on bad luck like Gallery and Huff. But signing players like Kwame Harris and Javon Walker is just dumb. He doesn't keep consistancy, they have had so many head coaches it is crazy, Lane Kiffin was the best thing they had in a while and he just threw him away. I feel so bad for Raiders fans, the franchise is a joke and it is all because of the crazy owner Mr. Al Davis. Cutting DeAngelo Hall would be the straw that breaks the camel's back for me, the Raiders just threw away 2 draft picks.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w205/bradcymru/aldavis.jpg

PACKmanN
11-05-2008, 08:22 PM
what are the possibilities of him signing with the Packers? I doubt it, but would like your thoughts.

bigbluedefense
11-05-2008, 08:23 PM
While i wouldn't mind giving Hall a chance to turn it around here in Dallas, i just don't think there's enough room for him, his salary, his ego or the hell that would break loose should they sign him.

If this season is gonna go to the crapper, i'd prefer it go with Mike Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick developing and gaining experience.

honestly, he'd be a terrible fit for Dallas.

If hes asked to play in a man coverage scheme, he'll kill it. But Dallas, for some unknown reason, wants to play zone coverage, 10 yards off each WR. Hall would get killed in your scheme.

MetSox17
11-05-2008, 08:26 PM
honestly, he'd be a terrible fit for Dallas.

If hes asked to play in a man coverage scheme, he'll kill it. But Dallas, for some unknown reason, wants to play zone coverage, 10 yards off each WR. Hall would get killed in your scheme.

Oh, believe me, Brian Stewart had no problem lining up our CB's 8 yards off the line regardless of the coverage.

bigbluedefense
11-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Oh, believe me, Brian Stewart had no problem lining up our CB's 8 yards off the line regardless of the coverage.

Wade generally does the same thing though. Its not Stewart. Thats Wade's system. He did the same thing in SD. Ask charger fans.

He's great at creating pressure, but he's terrible at drawing up coverage.

MetSox17
11-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Wade generally does the same thing though. Its not Stewart. Thats Wade's system. He did the same thing in SD. Ask charger fans.

He's great at creating pressure, but he's terrible at drawing up coverage.

Can't say i paid much attention to Wade in San Diego.

11-05-2008, 08:32 PM
I don't think D-Hall's main issue was all motivation like Moss during his time here. The schemes Rob Ryan would use just did not match up with his strengths very well and it sure showed on the field. He's not exactly the player I'd be all giddy about either. In the right system he could succeed but he's not a winner and I sincerely doubt his mental toughness. Not the player I'd want to trust with the game on the line, that much I know.

MetSox17
11-05-2008, 08:38 PM
What's the likelihood of someone picking up his contract?

ChezPower4
11-05-2008, 08:41 PM

Hall is no longer a Raider, wonder how long he'll be a FA?

Thigamahjigee
11-05-2008, 08:43 PM
I don't think D-Hall's main issue was all motivation like Moss during his time here. The schemes Rob Ryan would use just did not match up with his strengths very well and it sure showed on the field. He's not exactly the player I'd be all giddy about either. In the right system he could succeed but he's not a winner and I sincerely doubt his mental toughness. Not the player I'd want to trust with the game on the line, that much I know.

I've hated much of what Ryan's done this year. His defense just has no sense of urgency. Plus, Hall has a hand injury which is taking away from a big part of his game. And MetSox, I'd say not likely. Someone is going to want to work out there own deal. I'd guess Hall would want to go short to get his rep back up and get a new fat deal.

doingthisinsteadofwork
11-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Hall only cares about money he'll still demand a contract he doesn't deserve.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-05-2008, 08:58 PM
I'm not completely ready to blame this on Rob Ryan.

Outside of the misguided attempt to play Hall in soft zone in week 1 against Denver (something I am almost certainly convinced was part of Al's plan to justify firing Kiffin), the Raiders have run their typical man coverage that they always do, and that's supposed to be Hall's forte. He was thrown on a lot last year, but he managed to mostly guess fairly well when judging the right time to take risks. That really hasn't been the case this year, and sometimes he just looks lost.

The lack of a pass rush and the general suckiness of the defensive gameplan can't be defended or ignored, but I think Hall has sucked above and beyond that.

Thigamahjigee
11-05-2008, 09:04 PM
I'm not completely ready to blame this on Rob Ryan.

Outside of the misguided attempt to play Hall in soft zone in week 1 against Denver (something I am almost certainly convinced was part of Al's plan to justify firing Kiffin), the Raiders have run their typical man coverage that they always do, and that's supposed to be Hall's forte. He was thrown on a lot last year, but he managed to mostly guess fairly well when judging the right time to take risks. That really hasn't been the case this year, and sometimes he just looks lost.

The lack of a pass rush and the general suckiness of the defensive gameplan can't be defended or ignored, but I think Hall has sucked above and beyond that.

I'm always disappointed when I see Hall playing 5-8 yards off the receiver. I saw it too much against Atlanta. And Aso plays right up in the face, I'm not sure why they vary. Hall needs to be able to get in the WR's face, then run with him.

d34ng3l021
11-05-2008, 09:05 PM
What happened to the Raiders fans that were claiming he was playing (very?) well before the Falcons game?

Thigamahjigee
11-05-2008, 09:06 PM
What happened to the Raiders fans that were claiming he was playing (very?) well before the Falcons game?

I thought he was back on track after the Jets game to be honest. He put up a strong showing against them.

holt_bruce81
11-05-2008, 09:15 PM
Patriots, Texans, Giants, Redskins, Rams and Saints are the teams listed to be interested in DeAngelo.

No way do the Rams get him.

d34ng3l021
11-05-2008, 09:15 PM
To be honest, I still have hope for him. If he can go to a winning team with emphasis on man to man coverage, he can flourish.

He isn't worth picking up this season though. He isn't nearly as bad as this season has made him out to be.

11-05-2008, 09:20 PM

Yes, he did have his moments in previous games but his most recent performance just sealed his fate for a not too patient owner. Of course, with Al it always comes down to money and had Hall considered restructuring his contract he would most certainly still be here.

Number 10
11-05-2008, 09:37 PM
I don't want him anywhere near NY unless we're talking about a league minimum that would allow us to cut him with no cap hit.

LonghornsLegend
11-05-2008, 09:53 PM
Yes, he did have his moments in previous games but his most recent performance just sealed his fate for a not too patient owner. Of course, with Al it always comes down to money and had Hall considered restructuring his contract he would most certainly still be here.

I read that they asked him to restructure his contract earlier, and when he didn't agree he was released right after, but they were certainly interested in keeping him for something cheaper but of course he didn't like the sounds of that.

GB12
11-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Patriots, Texans, Giants, Redskins, Rams and Saints are the teams listed to be interested in DeAngelo.

No way do the Rams get him.
The Rams have the first chance to take him out of those teams.

BamaFalcon59
11-05-2008, 10:10 PM
I don't want him anywhere near NY unless we're talking about a league minimum that would allow us to cut him with no cap hit.

Well, obviously. It would be pretty hard to improve a perfect team.

holt_bruce81
11-05-2008, 10:13 PM
The Rams have the first chance to take him out of those teams.

Why's that? and I was saying no way the Rams get him because of their salary situation. They don't have a lot of space.

d34ng3l021
11-05-2008, 10:34 PM
I think its the waiver wire thing.

Number 10
11-05-2008, 10:57 PM
I think he'll clear waivers, nobody wants to take on his contract.

Splat
11-06-2008, 08:46 AM
"Hall faces uncertain future after being released by Raiders"

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80c410a5&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

To long to post.

YAYareaRB
11-06-2008, 10:28 AM
Cross that bridge D-HALL!!!

Mr. Stiller
11-06-2008, 08:31 PM
Hall decision expected within two days

Posted: November 6th, 2008 | Adam Schefter |

Now that cornerback DeAngelo Hall has gone unclaimed on waivers, look for him to make a decision in the next 24-48 hours.

Teams that are expected to be interested in signing are the New York Giants, Washington Redskins, New England Patriots and Pittsburgh Steelers.

“It’s rare that one of the top players at his position in the game comes free now,” one of Hall’s agents, Joel Segal, said Thursday. “DeAngelo can be a missing ingredient for any playoff contender that needs a cornerback.

“He’s excited about his potential opportunities and helping a team try to achieve its regular-season and post-season goals.”

I'm surprised that the Steelers are interested. This might be them signaling intent on a superbowl run..

terribletowel39
11-06-2008, 08:32 PM
I'm surprised that the Steelers are interested. This might be them signaling intent on a superbowl run..

we need o-line!!! not defensive help. we have the best defense in the league. haha

Menardo75
11-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Me might make a very nice Patriot.

RaiderNation
11-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Why is Javon Walker still a raider?

Vikes99ej
11-06-2008, 10:57 PM
Why are people excited to get DeAngelo Hall?

Bruce Banner
11-06-2008, 11:01 PM

Because he is a tremendous talent. No matter how bad of a head is on his shoulders, there will always be hope from some fans.

11-06-2008, 11:02 PM

This is what I wanna know. What a headache.

Geo
11-06-2008, 11:07 PM
I'm more excited that the Colts signed DT Antonio Johnson from the Titans' practice squad. :)

I wonder if we'll see excitement for the safety Roy Williams Sucks this offseason after the Cowboys cut his sorry behind, LOL.

PackerLegend
11-06-2008, 11:10 PM
Why is Javon Walker still a raider?

I loved J Walker when he was a Packer..... sucks he had to go and ****ing cry to be traded and it looks like it worked out well for him. Ha **** you Walker.... we got Jennings as ur replacement.

And D Hall is only 24 hopefully he will mature.

Vikes99ej
11-06-2008, 11:16 PM
Because he is a tremendous talent. No matter how bad of a head is on his shoulders, there will always be hope from some fans.

Being a tremendous idiot easily voids any tremendous talent someone has.

Bruce Banner
11-06-2008, 11:18 PM
Being a tremendous idiot easily voids any tremendous talent someone has.

Many fans believe that a "change of scenery" (usually their teams' scenery happens to be ideal) will instantly take away the tremendous idiot....ness.

awfullyquiet
11-06-2008, 11:24 PM
Many fans believe that a "change of scenery" (usually their teams' scenery happens to be ideal) will instantly take away the tremendous idiot....ness.

of course... but in media speak, what they're trying to say when they say change of scenery is different coaching... sometimes some coaches just suck for some players.

hall is not one of them... maturity issues will linger until he starts getting in trouble.

Bruce Banner
11-06-2008, 11:28 PM
I just hate how everyone thinks that Hall is this amazing man to man corner. He is servicable, when he isn't giving 15 yards of cushion, but that really isn't his best style of play.

He thrives in a zone based defense that will allow him to make plays on the ball and take risks in order to create turnovers.

As for him taking to a new coach.....it would take a great coach. Which is why everyone thinks that he will thrive in New England. (Points to Randy Moss. Which isn't a comparable situation)

fenikz
11-06-2008, 11:32 PM
espn says 14 teams have made him an offer, hope AZ is one of em

BamaFalcon59
11-06-2008, 11:33 PM
I just hate how everyone thinks that Hall is this amazing man to man corner. He is servicable, when he isn't giving 15 yards of cushion, but that really isn't his best style of play.

He thrives in a zone based defense that will allow him to make plays on the ball and take risks in order to create turnovers.

He is actually better in man, but he can play either. The biggest thing with him is good safety play, because then he knows he can takes risks and gamble on the ball.

Bruce Banner
11-06-2008, 11:35 PM
He is actually better in man, but he can play either. The biggest thing with him is good safety play, because then he knows he can takes risks and gamble on the ball.

So, he never really played well on an island. Which is what real man-to-man is.

11-06-2008, 11:37 PM
Looking back at it now that was probably the worst possible situation for him to be playing across a blanket like Aso. In Atlanta he was never tested to that degree which is key for someone who guesses as often as he does on the ball.

BamaFalcon59
11-06-2008, 11:46 PM
So, he never really played well on an island. Which is what real man-to-man is.

No, because if you are playing cover 0 (man lock, no over the top safety) then you can not gamble at all. If you gamble wrong on cover 0 you are burnt.

There are less than five corners in the NFL who can play cover 0 consistently. Champ Bailey, Nnandi Asomugha (spelling). Maybe a couple others.

Bruce Banner
11-06-2008, 11:55 PM
No, because if you are playing cover 0 (man lock, no over the top safety) then you can not gamble at all. If you gamble wrong on cover 0 you are burnt.

There are less than five corners in the NFL who can play cover 0 consistently. Champ Bailey, Nnandi Asomugha (spelling). Maybe a couple others.

I just don't see how man-to-man with a safety over the top is that much different than a traditional zone with a safety over the top (I see the difference obviously but doyouknowwhatImean? I feel like I am insulting my own intelligence by saying this because I know that it's completely false). Both allow you to take risks and whatnot.

People in general tend to think that Hall is a cover 0 corner whenever others say that he is a great man-to-man corner.

Did Oakland try to use him that way?

11-07-2008, 12:01 AM
Did Oakland try to use him that way?

We are the only team in the NFL that uses the cover-0 defense. Just a disaster waiting to happen for mr. gambler

Bruce Banner
11-07-2008, 12:03 AM
We are the only team in the NFL that uses the cover-0 defense. Just a disaster waiting to happen for mr. gambler

Just trade Aso to the Bucs for a 4th and get rid of the cover-0 all together.

fenikz
11-07-2008, 02:55 AM
can't trade a man who is a free agent

LonghornsLegend
11-07-2008, 11:07 AM
Sounds like he's about to be a Redskin.

The Washington Post confirms that the Redskins are strongly considering signing free agent CB DeAngelo Hall.
Hall played collegiately at nearby Virginia Tech and knows how to play the kind of press-man coverage Redskins coordinator Greg Blache teaches in the secondary. Hall is said to be "intrigued" by the idea of joining Washington.
Source: Washington Post
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/06/AR2008110603910.html

ElectricEye
11-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Damn. I was kinda hoping the Patriots would land him.

Flyboy
11-07-2008, 12:44 PM
He'll end up a Saint.

Sniper
11-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Redskin it is

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/11/07/hall-to-the-redskins/

LonghornsLegend
11-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Damn the NFC east always has to be the big players in every trade.

DiG
11-07-2008, 01:40 PM
i like it. our system does well for corners with speed and instinct. as long as it wasnt too much $$ i think its a good move. with springs having injury issues this year this makes a lot of sense and if it goes well then it solves a big issue for next year with springs big salary and limited depth.

MetSox17
11-07-2008, 01:42 PM
This is gonna suck if he succeeds in their system.

LonghornsLegend
11-07-2008, 01:48 PM
i like it. our system does well for corners with speed and instinct. as long as it wasnt too much $$ i think its a good move. with springs having injury issues this year this makes a lot of sense and if it goes well then it solves a big issue for next year with springs big salary and limited depth.

It's actually pretty cheap, no guaranteed and only 1-year, only thing is if he REALLY plays well then he's gonna be an un-restricted FA and either not come back or cost a boat load...I'd rather them then the Giants take that risk though, but since people act like "it be funny if he went to Dallas and the Cowboys fans start to defend him", let me be the first to say this is a good fit for him, and could be a great secondary with Rogers playing so well.

Hall still has been getting trashed, but let's see if it was really just Oakland that's making guys play like crap.

DiG
11-07-2008, 01:55 PM
It's actually pretty cheap, no guaranteed and only 1-year, only thing is if he REALLY plays well then he's gonna be an un-restricted FA and either not come back or cost a boat load...I'd rather them then the Giants take that risk though, but since people act like "it be funny if he went to Dallas and the Cowboys fans start to defend him", let me be the first to say this is a good fit for him, and could be a great secondary with Rogers playing so well.

Hall still has been getting trashed, but let's see if it was really just Oakland that's making guys play like crap.

i hear ya. my bet is that if he has a good couple games and we will probably sign him to an extension before the season ends. im sure he had a few choices of places to go so i like the idea that he probably chose the skins based off being close to home (vtech area), 6-3 record, and a situation where he can earn a starting spot next to rogers if he proves himself. i wouldnt doubt a resigning by year end as long as he shows oakland was in the past.

HChu
11-07-2008, 02:06 PM
Not that bad a deal for the 'Skins in my opinion.

SuperKevin
11-07-2008, 02:11 PM
I like the signing for the Skins. He's not being forced into the starting lineup so he has little risk and could be the depth they need for a Super Bowl run

Menardo75
11-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Good deal for the Skins' if he works out it would be quite the steal.

Geo
11-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Fourth on the depth chart behind Rogers, Springs, and Smoot imo.

BamaFalcon59
11-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Lol you have to be kidding.

I expect DeAngelo to do well in Washington. LaRon plays deep so he should be able to take some risks. A good second half with Washington should allow him to pick up a nice contract in the offseason.

ChezPower4
11-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Fourth on the depth chart behind Rogers, Springs, and Smoot imo.

There's no way that Smoot is better than Hall. I'd expect that within a week or two hall will be pushing for a starting spot.

BamaFalcon59
11-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Not to mention Washington needs a playmaking cornerback. Carlos Rodgers has been good, but he does not have good ball skills.

PackerLegend
11-07-2008, 05:04 PM
I heard Aso is going to get tagged again.... poor guy wasting away in Oakland like Wood was until he escaped.

skinzzfan25
11-07-2008, 05:09 PM
Not to mention Washington needs a playmaking cornerback. Carlos Rodgers has been good, but he does not have good ball skills.

Rogers would be close to the top of the league in picks if he caught the ones that hit him square in the chest/ both hands dead on.

I mean seriously, Cornelius Griffen has better hands than him...

Gay Ork Wang
11-07-2008, 05:11 PM
Rogers would be close to the top of the league in picks if he caught the ones that hit him square in the chest/ both hands dead on.

I mean seriously, Cornelius Griffen has better hands than him...
am i the only one who is sick of the stone hands Rogers story?

Bruce Banner
11-07-2008, 05:29 PM
can't trade a man who is a free agent

I was talking about Aso.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-07-2008, 06:08 PM
I heard Aso is going to get tagged again.... poor guy wasting away in Oakland like Wood was until he escaped.

Except Asomugha is actually conducting himself like a professional.

LonghornsLegend
11-07-2008, 06:12 PM
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z238/tek2002/to-51yd-td-vs-hall.gif

:D

CashmoneyDrew
11-07-2008, 06:12 PM
am i the only one who is sick of the stone hands Rogers story?

seems to be half of the posts on nfldc ive read this week.