PDA

View Full Version : Jamarcus Russell = Bust?

Donno
11-04-2008, 08:27 PM
I know hes only been in the league for a little over a year but I haven't seen one game where I was thinking wow this guy is going to be the real deal. I honestly think the Raiders should start Walter or something right now. Im waiting for the game where he throws 300+ yards but Im afraid it wont happen. What do you guys think?

gsorace
11-04-2008, 08:29 PM
Kwame Harris is the raiders starting left tackle....

niel89
11-04-2008, 08:29 PM
its still too early plus he doesnt have the best cast to wok with

keylime_5
11-04-2008, 08:30 PM
the raiders suck, it's not russell's fault his O-Line is stinky, his running game isn't working, and his receivers are a terrible mess on the most disfunctional, worst ran/coached team in American sports.

brat316
11-04-2008, 08:30 PM
not yet you have to wait 3 years to be labeled a bust. Also its not his fault that the owner keep screwing him over. He does need consistence in order to learn. Look what happened to Alex Smith had 4 different offensive coordinators, now he is a bust then again he might break out with another team. That probably won't happen but you never know.

Donno
11-04-2008, 08:36 PM
I agree with you guys but did you see him against the Falcons? He looked solid at LSU and last Sunday he looked like he didnt know what to do. But the truth is his o-line sucks.

Geo
11-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Way too soon to say. Everyone knew going in that he wasn't going to be NFL ready from day one, and playing for an unstable franchise in Oakland has a bigger effect than anything else.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Well just a month prior to the draft I said he was along the same lines as a prospect as Jason Campbell and should be drafted in a similar spot, but honestly you can't tell with this kid. His o-line sucks, he has no receivers, and the running game is nonexistent even compared to last season. He definitely is a big dude with a big arm and decent delivery, so we can't really judge him until we see him in a favorable situation.

aNYtitan
11-04-2008, 08:41 PM
He has looked awful but maybe we should give him more then half of season of starting +1 game started in 07 before we call players busts. It seems that we are getting closer and closer to calling players busts after 4 games and then probably 2

BrownsTown
11-04-2008, 08:43 PM
You can't call him a bust yet. He will be though. Lazy attitude and a lot of work needed to adjust to the NFL does not a franchise QB make.

brat316
11-04-2008, 08:48 PM
His running game was there before but then something happened...something important and great.

d34ng3l021
11-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Not enough talent around him, and he needs more of a work ethic.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-04-2008, 08:50 PM
No, not even close. He's played well in spurts this season, but the new gameplans Oakland is putting out there are protecting him way less than Kiffin was. Oakland doesn't have the tackles (or really even the wide receivers) to play the deep passing game, and how Oakland didn't learn this lesson in 2006 is beyond me.

I actually like some of what Russell has shown this year, although there are obvious flaws to his approach. I never really thought he was going to be an all-pro passer unless Oakland put an all-star cast around him, but he's definitely demonstrated that if Oakland can become even moderately functional by NFL standards, he could be an above average game manager who would occasionally make the big play.

Whether that ever happens in Oakland is yet to be seen. It isn't beyond the realm of possibility that he is considered an overall bust by his career performance. But this guy can become a good starter in the NFL. I have no doubt about that.

diabsoule
11-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Yes. He was a bust entering the NFL.

11-04-2008, 09:38 PM
I don't see him getting any better. Even if they do upgrade the OL, which I really doubt they will.
Anyone see Baldinger going on about Russell and McFadden both being busts already?

11-04-2008, 09:51 PM
I'll reserve my judgement until the team actually adds some 'adequate' receivers. The sudden demise of Ronald Curry was a huge blow. Watching him run this offense under this pathetic supporting cast is still a rather scary thought.

Will he ever fulfill his career potential as a franchise QB worthy of the top overall pick ? Probably not. However as PMD said that sure doesn't mean he cannot be a good starter in this league who can maybe finally find his niche as a quality game manager.

doingthisinsteadofwork
11-04-2008, 09:58 PM
Russell's biggest problem right now is kwame Harris.The guy clearly sucks and Mario is easily better.This makes Zach Miller block more and not be as much of a recieving threat.He and Russell have good chemistry together.The WRs suck.But as much as we've heard about how great his arm is, he's yet to show it.That being said it's only his 2nd year and he still needs alot more time to develop.Work ethic isn't his problem.I'd like to say he could be a star but with the way this franchise is doing I doubt that'll ever be the case.

#1chiefs_fan
11-04-2008, 10:33 PM
Jamarcus Russell isn't a bust yet. I cant blame Jamarcus because he has no weapons to throw to and a crappy oline. The coaching staff is not that good. There so many other problems with the raiders that i cant just point to russell. You already see in Atlanta how Ryan is flourishing with weapons around him Turner and Roddy white and etc. The raiders franchise is so dysfunctional that I cant even blame it on Russell. I will give him 2 years and make my final assessment.

holt_bruce81
11-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Russell = only 10 starts in the NFL

Give the guy some time.

locseti
11-04-2008, 10:41 PM
He still can't even hit the standard dump off, but he's not a bust yet. Kwame Harris was a bust 4 yrs ago.

Flyboy
11-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Have you SEEN the Raiders play?

Please. Give the guy some time.

tjsunstein
11-04-2008, 10:53 PM
1. Give him some time.
2. Give him a semi decent O-Line
3. Give him a reciever that wants to play.
4. Give him a run game, which plays back to the O-Line.

Gotta Give to Get, in this case gotta surround him to get results. He isn't a playmaker by himself; he needs help that he doesnt have right now.

PackerLegend
11-04-2008, 11:00 PM
As long as Al Davis is running the show he will be a bust.

11-04-2008, 11:04 PM

We need a ******* makeover on offense. Do you understand what I mean by a ******* makeover ? :)

BuddyCHRIST
11-04-2008, 11:14 PM
he's probably in the worst situation in the NFL. He has a good rb stable but they are all injured and the o-line is very poor. The WR's are lazy and uninterested and all the turmoil within the coaching staff certainly doesn't help. He also has stalled himself coming out of shape and holding out for so long, he still could blossom but one thing I see right now too often is his willingness to check down. I will say one thing though, his ability to throw the short ball has impressed me as I really thought that was a major weakness coming out. But he could be a difficult guy to judge for a long time because of the situation.

Cerni88
11-04-2008, 11:17 PM
The worst thing to happen to Jamarcus Russell was Lane Kiffin being fired. He needed Kiffin at least till the end of the season. Its going to hurt his development.

Menardo75
11-05-2008, 02:56 AM
Yeah same thing everyone else is saying. Too early to tell. If the Raiders keep handling his situation like they are, then he is definitly on the right track(to being a bust).

iloxygenil
11-05-2008, 08:19 AM
No, you can't hang this tag on anyone so early into their NFL career, it's basically his rookie season just ended cause he missed about half of the year last year, this was his first training camp etc. Give him time, he was a top pick because of that big arm, someone needs to keep him upright, I don't think he's anywhere near the QB he was made out to be, but it fit for Oakland to take the guy who could throw off his butt.

Many people were on the Jamaal Anderson is a bust wagon, including Falcons fans, but they were wrong, and he's showed it with his play the last 3 consecutive weeks with good games, and he had 2 in a row with a sack, his light switch came on, may take longer for Russell's to flip, but he deserves time to get it to flip.

bored of education
11-05-2008, 08:24 AM
still too really IMO

Brent
11-05-2008, 09:04 AM
Yeah same thing everyone else is saying. Too early to tell. If the Raiders keep handling his situation like they are, then he is definitly on the right track(to being a bust).
A lot of these comments sound like the same things said about Alex Smith.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
11-05-2008, 09:44 AM
Bust? To early, but he certainly has been disappointing, no way around it. Much, much more was expected, and rightfully so. He held out, has a monster contract, and to be honest, he's been bad. I don't care about his supporting cast (although i understand how it may hinder him), he hasn't been good, very straight-forward.

LonghornsLegend
11-05-2008, 09:48 AM
Raiders Organization=Bust

Have fun going back to where their last 1st rd pick wasn't a bust...When your team is dysfunctional top to bottom I think it has alot to do with it.

MetSox17
11-05-2008, 09:50 AM
Raiders Organization=Bust

Have fun going back to where their last 1st rd pick wasn't a bust...When your team is dysfunctional top to bottom I think it has alot to do with it.

The Raiders are gonna get to the point where they'll be salary cap screwed from all the top five picks they have to sign.

awfullyquiet
11-05-2008, 10:31 AM
i know this is a broken record

but everyone looks like a bust in the raiders system right now.

it's a sad unfortunate fact.

bored of education
11-05-2008, 10:32 AM
i know this is a broken record

but everyone looks like a bust in the raiders system right now.

it's a sad unfortunate fact.

Aq, you are so samrt.

P-L
11-05-2008, 10:41 AM
A lot of people forget that this is Russell's first full NFL season. He only played in four games last year and missed a ton of time because Al Davis didn't want to pay him. This really is like his rookie year. You can't expect a guy with his experience to play well in the situation he has in Oakland.

NIN1984
11-05-2008, 10:52 AM
The past 10 years it seems like everyone is bust expect Nnamdi Asomugha. I can't judge Russell and McFadden right now but it doesn't look good. Russell will be going on his 3rd Head Coach in his 3rd season.

Good job, Al

Bruce Banner
11-05-2008, 10:54 AM
The past 10 years it seems like everyone is bust expect Nnamdi Asomugha. I can't judge Russell and McFadden right now but it doesn't look good. Russell will be going on his 3rd Head Coach in his 3rd season.

Good job, Al

Wasn't Nnamdi a "project"?

You guys could use Bruce Allen again.

captainjack27
11-05-2008, 11:38 AM
I don't think he'll amount to his full potential, but he still has time to improve. Remember he has only had ten starts in his career as someone previously mentioned.

Jimmy
11-05-2008, 11:47 AM
come on... throw this guy on any other team and he'd be playing like the average rookie qb if not better. his tackle is kwame harris, and he really has no receiving corps.

he' s a great quarterback, there's no mistake he should have gone over quinn at this point (dont call me on that after quinn torches the denver d tomorrow night) but the raiders are the worst case scenario

San Diego Chicken
11-05-2008, 11:59 AM
No QB who is drafted #1 overall is going to walk into a perfect situation. Russell just needs to play much better; a 48% completion pct isn't going to cut it. I'm not holding out much hope but I was never a fan anyway. It's a shame that a huge arm has far more value in the draft than having good QB instincts.

awfullyquiet
11-05-2008, 12:04 PM
come on... throw this guy on any other team and he'd be playing like the average rookie qb if not better. his tackle is kwame harris, and he really has no receiving corps.

he' s a great quarterback, there's no mistake he should have gone over quinn at this point (dont call me on that after quinn torches the denver d tomorrow night) but the raiders are the worst case scenario

jamarcus russell would be lighting up the field in detroit.

unfortunately they'd still never win games.

ChezPower4
11-05-2008, 12:57 PM
jamarcus russell would be lighting up the field in detroit.

unfortunately they'd still never win games.

Not like he's going to have much of a chance to win in Oakland....

Turtlepower
11-05-2008, 01:04 PM
http://cdn-media.channelme.tv/media/images/000000/72/06/NzI~NTA2_large.jpg

and

http://www.animalsintheworld.com/animal_articles/bears/images/american_black_bear.jpg

I think the resemblance is uncanny.

LonghornsLegend
11-05-2008, 01:22 PM
No QB who is drafted #1 overall is going to walk into a perfect situation. Russell just needs to play much better; a 48% completion pct isn't going to cut it. I'm not holding out much hope but I was never a fan anyway. It's a shame that a huge arm has far more value in the draft than having good QB instincts.

It's not like this guy hasn't played well at all, Alex Smith was super smart with a small arm and went #1 overall too and Cutler went out of the top 10 after Leinart, a big arm is hardly the end of the conversation...People are a little unfairly critical on him at this point, can you envision many QB's suceeding in this scenario?

Cutler has shown his flashes but has been turnover prone also, can you imagine him without a LT like Clady, without 2 WR's like Marshall and Royal, and on a dysfunctional team with no direction, coaching, or stability? I've seen the flashes from JR, but you can't expect many QB's to produce with what is going on there, the Raiders will continually draft "bust" because they don't put their rookies in a situation to suceed.

Geo
11-05-2008, 01:26 PM

Good job, Al
Davis said after the Kiffin firing presser that, after this season, he was strongly considering hiring a personnel man to work with him. I think that would be a very good idea, first off. Although it needs to be a viable relationship, for the good of the franchise. Mike Lombardi once spoke of how the Raiders war room had to arduously convince Davis to draft Kirk Morrison (and that was just one example, there could very well be times where Davis was right against the grain).

Plus also Jim Fassel could be a strong candidate as the next head coach, he might bring a veteran presence to Russell and the rest of the franchise. Maybe Davis can find a young, bright offensive mind to be his next Gruden - and not have it sour like with Shanahan and Kiffin - but some definite stability is needed when a young quarterback like Russell is involved. Once Russell was taken first overall, that decision ended the time for mercenaries. Now it's time to be a stable franchise like many others in the NFL.

I tried to make a bold prediction on two receivers the Raiders might sign this offseason in my NFL Truths thread, and think both could still happen. Walker needs to get dumped and Johnnie Lee Higgins is talent from the neck down only, so maybe they look for some experience at WR to help Russell out.

Larry
11-05-2008, 01:41 PM

What he said.

ChezPower4
11-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Davis said after the Kiffin firing presser that, after this season, he was strongly considering hiring a personnel man to work with him. I think that would be a very good idea, first off. Although it needs to be a viable relationship, for the good of the franchise. Mike Lombardi once spoke of how the Raiders war room had to arduously convince Davis to draft Kirk Morrison (and that was just one example, there could very well be times where Davis was right against the grain).

Plus also Jim Fassel could be a strong candidate as the next head coach, he might bring a veteran presence to Russell and the rest of the franchise. Maybe Davis can find a young, bright offensive mind to be his next Gruden - and not have it sour like with Shanahan and Kiffin - but some definite stability is needed when a young quarterback like Russell is involved. Once Russell was taken first overall, that decision ended the time for mercenaries. Now it's time to be a stable franchise like many others in the NFL.

I tried to make a bold prediction on two receivers the Raiders might sign this offseason in my NFL Truths thread, and think both could still happen. Walker needs to get dumped and Johnnie Lee Higgins is talent from the neck down only, so maybe they look for some experience at WR to help Russell out.

I really don't think that a veteran coach is going to go to the Raiders, unless they're going to have a significant voice in the personnel decisions. With Al Davis still running the show, I really don't see that happining. It's not like coaches are beating down Davis' door to be the next head coach.

Jimmy
11-05-2008, 02:20 PM
It's not like this guy hasn't played well at all, Alex Smith was super smart with a small arm and went #1 overall too and Cutler went out of the top 10 after Leinart, a big arm is hardly the end of the conversation...People are a little unfairly critical on him at this point, can you envision many QB's suceeding in this scenario?

Cutler has shown his flashes but has been turnover prone also, can you imagine him without a LT like Clady, without 2 WR's like Marshall and Royal, and on a dysfunctional team with no direction, coaching, or stability? I've seen the flashes from JR, but you can't expect many QB's to produce with what is going on there, the Raiders will continually draft "bust" because they don't put their rookies in a situation to suceed.

cutler showed his ability to make plays with a garbage offensive line last year, and showed his uncanny ability to fit balls into tight spaces, and his arm strength as well... every wide receiver can only play as well as his quarterback plays, and vice versa. (minus tom brady years ago) regardless of the time he has in the pocket, he's still making the same mind boggling throws into a window the size of my computer screen. those throws define his talent, not his pocket time or stats. these things make him the quarterback he is. also, adding onto the whole disfunctional comment, the broncos are probably in the botton 5 teams in terms of functionality right now. sure, the front office is classy, but... this season has been a disaster. cutler's had to deal with that, and while he hasn't exactly thrived, he's made the best out of having a defense who's best active player is currently ebenezer ekuban.

Stash
11-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Stupid thread. The guy has started, what, a little over half a season? I admittedly was never in favor of the pick but he has shown flashes at times. Kiffin was handling him very well and making sure he wasn't overwhelmed. Once Kiffin was gone, it seems Tom "the YES man" Cable and Knapp have tried to pass a lot (whether it was their decision or if they were 'influenced') just to prove they are different than Kiff who ran a lot. When you have an o-line that cannot pass protect (our tackles SUCK) and a weak WR core then a young QB will most definitely struggle.

Babylon
11-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Not a bust yet but lose some weight would be the first order of business.

D-Unit
11-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Of course he's a bust and no one should be surprised. He had no legit QB skills to begin with. He would've made one helluva javelin player though.

Brady Quinn >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jamarcus Russell.

ChezPower4
11-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Of course he's a bust and no one should be surprised. He had no legit QB skills to begin with. He would've made one helluva javelin player though.

Brady Quinn >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jamarcus Russell.

Can't really call him a bust after 10 games

bigbluedefense
11-05-2008, 08:08 PM
here's the thing ppl need to understand about draft picks, particularly high ones with talent that don't "pan out"

Draft picks are like kids. A lot of times, the way they are brought up is why they are a success or a failure. So essentially, good parents raise good children.

So whats wrong in Oakland? The parents are horrible. They need their children taken from them. A strong organization will develop its players appropriately. Good leadership and stability up top bring them along the right way.

Oakland is such a mess, its no coincidence why their draft picks flop. They have no direction, no one to show them the way. It goes back to the parents.

I was never a big fan of Russell, i said he'd be a bust, but even I can't say that its entirely his fault. I mean come on, who's gonna succeed in that kind of mess?

renegade
11-05-2008, 08:11 PM
here's the thing ppl need to understand about draft picks, particularly high ones with talent that don't "pan out"

Draft picks are like kids. A lot of times, the way they are brought up is why they are a success or a failure. So essentially, good parents raise good children.

So whats wrong in Oakland? The parents are horrible. They need their children taken from them. A strong organization will develop its players appropriately. Good leadership and stability up top bring them along the right way.

Oakland is such a mess, its no coincidence why their draft picks flop. They have no direction, no one to show them the way. It goes back to the parents.

I was never a big fan of Russell, i said he'd be a bust, but even I can't say that its entirely his fault. I mean come on, who's gonna succeed in that kind of mess?

I never thought of it that way before, good metaphor.

(100 posts YA! God I feel like a noob)

D-Unit
11-05-2008, 08:11 PM

HAHA. Great analogy. I think you hit it riight on the head.

As bad as Lions fans must think their situation is... hey, at least they can thank the Raiders for letting them have Calvin.

11-05-2008, 08:15 PM
HAHA. Great analogy. I think you hit it riight on the head.

As bad as Lions fans must think their situation is... hey, at least they can thank the Raiders for letting them have Calvin.

Oh, pleeease don't remind us. I was always a bit 'iffy' about Russell and torn over the whole 'do we take the best player available?' situation with Calvin. Now I'm still holding out hope he at least turns out to be an above average QB in this league once we actually find him a few weapons he can trust besides Zach Miller and Run DMC.

bigbluedefense
11-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Zach Miller is nice. The problem is he has to stay in and block 80% of the time. But when he gets a chance to run routes, he's always open.

Its ok Zach. I see you big homey. Your skill doesn't go unnoticed <3.

Bengalsrocket
11-05-2008, 08:28 PM
If Russel busts he can just play DE because he knows what the QB's are thinking.

Oh btw I have a fantasy: When the IDD got banned from the forums, Al Davis gave him a job opportunity as a Roster consultant. Basically every time the Raiders have a first round pick bust, the IDD just makes him lose / gain weight and play another position. Heres how I see it going:

in 2010, Michael Huff will gain 150lbs. and become a dominant Left Tackle who will protect Darren McFadden. But instead of playing RB, McFadden will become the Quarterback in 2011. At this point Jamarcus Russel will lose 40lbs. and become McFadden's #1 option at WR. With Michael Huff taking over Kwame Harris' starting job at LT, Kwame is going to lose 100 lbs. and play RB (but he's going to be more of a scat back rather than a power back).

MetSox17
11-05-2008, 08:31 PM
If Russel busts he can just play DE because he knows what the QB's are thinking.

Oh btw I have a fantasy: When the IDD got banned from the forums, Al Davis gave him a job opportunity as a Roster consultant. Basically every time the Raiders have a first round pick bust, the IDD just makes him lose / gain weight and play another position. Heres how I see it going:

in 2010, Michael Huff will gave 150lbs. and become a dominant Left Tackle who will protect Darren McFadden. But instead of playing RB, McFadden will become the Quarterback in 2011. At this point Jamarcus Russel will lose 40lbs. and become McFadden's #1 option at WR. With Michael Huff taking over Kwame Harris' starting job at LT, Kwame is going to lose 100 lbs. and play RB (but he's going to be more of a scat back rather than a power back).

You should have stopped after the first paragraph.

Halsey
11-05-2008, 08:31 PM
People are too trigger happy when it comes to calling QB's busts. There were people calling Eli a bust as late as last year's regular season. Many people were sure Aaron Rodgers would be a bust before he ever played a down. There's many examples like that. Russell is young and playing for a mess of an organization. He may indeed be a bust or he may one day blossum. Heck, some QB's are in the league for year's before the 'light comes on'. Just look at former Raiders QB Rich Gannon.

Bengalsrocket
11-05-2008, 08:38 PM
You should have stopped after the first paragraph.

I probably should have stopped before I hit "reply" :(

MetSox17
11-05-2008, 08:44 PM
People are too trigger happy when it comes to calling QB's busts. There were people calling Eli a bust as late as last year's regular season. Many people were sure Aaron Rodgers would be a bust before he ever played a down. There's many examples like that. Russell is young and playing for a mess of an organization. He may indeed be a bust or he may one day blossum. Heck, some QB's are in the league for year's before the 'light comes on'. Just look at former Raiders QB Rich Gannon.

What are the other examples?

Seriously, of all the first round quarterbacks the past few years, the only ones that were labeled busts initially are the ones that are showing that they'll bust. People called Alex Smith a bust, and looky there, he's riding the pine pony below Shaun Hill and JT O'Sullivan. David Carr, Joey Harrington, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller, Vince Young, J.P Losman, all showed signs of not being able to succeed at the next level. On the other hand, guys like Matt Ryan, Jay Cutler, Ben Roethlisberger and Jason Campbell all showed glimpses of being good.

If you play for a year, barring your team being completely horrible (Like Russel's), you can tell what a guy will be in this league.

illmatic74
11-05-2008, 10:01 PM
I probably should have stopped before I hit "reply" :(It was still hilarious

Donno
11-06-2008, 02:38 AM
I think Zach Miller is one of the top 10 TE's in the league but Russell just cant get it too him, he never gets time.

Iamcanadian
11-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Let's see. If he had come out as a senior, this would be his rookie season. Look up Eli's rookie year and Russell actually looks a lot better and he's playing on a team that is run like a joke while Eli stepped into an ideal situation with one of the best organizations in pro ball.
At this point, Russell is about as far away from being a bust as you can get. Come back in 2 or 3 years and make your case again because right now it isn't worth a whole lot.

Turtlepower
11-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Zach Miller is nice. The problem is he has to stay in and block 80% of the time. But when he gets a chance to run routes, he's always open.

Its ok Zach. I see you big homey. Your skill doesn't go unnoticed <3.

Zach Miller would be a top-5 TE in the league if he was actually given the opportunity to make some noise.

P-L
11-06-2008, 11:13 AM
I stayed on the Zach Miller bandwagon even after Greg Olsen tore up the combine and I'm still on the Zach Miller bandwagon.

Turtlepower
11-06-2008, 11:21 AM
I stayed on the Zach Miller bandwagon even after Greg Olsen tore up the combine and I'm still on the Zach Miller bandwagon.

I never understood why a TE needs to run 40 yards down the field? He got way too much undeserved criticism for his 40 time.

ChezPower4
11-06-2008, 02:09 PM
Zach Miller would be a top-5 TE in the league if he was actually given the opportunity to make some noise.

I'm not so sure about a top-5 TE, but he's a great all around talent and I want to see what he can do in the next few years.

Stash
11-06-2008, 09:33 PM
Miller is awesome, too bad everyone else on the team sucks.

RaiderNation
11-06-2008, 11:01 PM
No way Russell is a bust after not even playing a hole season yet. He has been a decent QB for us this year. He has had good and bad games just like most all young QB's do. It doesnt help that he doesnt have any WR's except for Miller who has to block most of the time. Also with McFadden being out he doesnt have a solid running game behind him.

We need to get some new coaches fast that fit Russell's style. Our current offence is a check down/short pass offence which we all know Russell isnt that type of QB. Thats why Kiffin didnt want him.... "GET OVER IT" as Al Davis said.

11-06-2008, 11:03 PM
Miller is awesome, too bad everyone else on the team sucks.

Minus the man in your sig. :)

Babylon
11-07-2008, 11:43 AM
I never understood why a TE needs to run 40 yards down the field? He got way too much undeserved criticism for his 40 time.

Would think cone drills and shuttles would be a better gauge.

brat316
11-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Russel should just do what Favre does chuck it up. Everyone becomes happy and Al Davis gets to see the deep ball. The line just has to hold up for like 4 seconds. Higgens get down 40 yards pretty quick.

d34ng3l021
11-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Russell is not even worth being called a bust yet I think. Everyone must acknowledge the terrible situation he is in Oakland and that is a huge reason for why his development is not on track. With a terrible organization that signs Kwame Harris to play LT, signs Javon Walker, you really can't expect him to put up numbers worthwhile.

Despite that though, I think Russell is not a terrible QB. He has shown his share of flashes, especially considering the situation he is in. Some of his TD passes are ridiculous and every once in a while he makes throws that make your jaw drop (his first TD throw made me do that. he rolled out of the pocket and zipped the ball downfield 40 yards to a yard above the ground where only his guy could get it). If he can get consistency around him (what happened to the running game?), he can still definitely pan out.

He also needs to look downfield more. During the Falcons game, he had 6 completions. Five out of the six completions went to either a RB or TE. He needs to look for his WRs more and throw downfield a bit more.

Once again, I would love to be the GM of Oakland. Sign some big guys for guards and RT. With the first pick, draft Eugene Monroe, or another top rated pass blocker. Franchise Asomugha and trade him for 2 firsts or something. Fire Rob Ryan.

It would be fun.

BBIB
11-14-2008, 01:39 PM
There isn't a young QB in the league that could succeed with the cast he has from turnstile Oline, to lack of playmaking WR, to terrible offensive playcalling. Not to mention banged up RBs who are not producing.

The only QB who could do anything with that team is Michael Vick by improvising with his 4.3 speed.

I swear I've never seen a QB pronounced as a bust as early as Russell. People were doing it as early as last year. And now 12 games he's played with trash as a cast and he's a bust. It's a joke.

Look at Peyton Manning or Troy Aikman who threw for more INTs than TDs their 1st year as starters. Are those guys busts? In fact Troy Aikman threw for more INTs than TDs his first TWO years as a starter.

JaMarcus at least has a positive TD/INT ratio. My goodness if he had twice as many picks as TDs like Aikman did his first year, I can't imagine how many people would be bashing him

Menardo75
11-14-2008, 01:53 PM
The only QB who could do anything with that team is Michael Vick by improvising with his 4.3 speed.

Probably not even then.

SenorGato
11-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Give Russell to a good coach and he'll be a good QB IMO.

My belief on young QB's drafted high that played in pro offenses in college is that they shouldn't bust unless the franchise stupid with them. Guys like David Carr and Russell get screwed by their teams just as much, if not moreso, than they might seemingly screw themselves.

QB's are a whole different animal form the other positions IMO, mostly because seemingly the hopes and dreams of the franchise are placed on their shoulders. They are ridiculously easy to mismanage, and just as fragile in their development in as a ML pitcher.

Russell is too young to be labeled a bust yet though. I hope some smart team can take him before too late...I wouldn't even mind the Jets taking a shot...

Menardo75
11-15-2008, 12:35 AM
Give Russell to a good coach and he'll be a good QB IMO.

My belief on young QB's drafted high that played in pro offenses in college is that they shouldn't bust unless the franchise stupid with them. Guys like David Carr and Russell get screwed by their teams just as much, if not moreso, than they might seemingly screw themselves.

QB's are a whole different animal form the other positions IMO, mostly because seemingly the hopes and dreams of the franchise are placed on their shoulders. They are ridiculously easy to mismanage, and just as fragile in their development in as a ML pitcher.

Russell is too young to be labeled a bust yet though. I hope some smart team can take him before too late...I wouldn't even mind the Jets taking a shot...

I really did'nt know if someone could be put in a worse situation than Alex was in.

Rob S
11-15-2008, 12:58 AM
my feelings on jamarcus are well documented. check the sig. its been there since before he was drafted. that said, its too early for him to have the official title of bust.