PDA

View Full Version : Non-First Round DEs.

giantsfan
11-05-2008, 06:03 AM
As a giants' fan who completely buys into the "can't have enough pass rushers" mentality I want the Gmen to go DE on day one just to grab someone with monster potential to develop and let us move kiwi into the starting lineup at SLB. Unfortunately I've only gotten to watch the top picks because I'm not watching as much college football as I used to unless there's a specific player I want to watch.

Now we all know Brian Orakpo, Greg Hardy, George Selvie, Tyson Jackson and Michael Johnson but what other DEs are likely to go day 1? Explosiveness off the snap, work ethic (the drive to improve) and versatilitity are the key things we look for but I'm just more interested in amassing a list of names to catch up on.

TaylorMade
11-05-2008, 12:09 PM
Right now, there isn't that many DE's to project to the 2nd and 3rd rounds. There is a ton of talent at DT around those rounds however. Of course that could easily change.

I think Matt Shaughnessy (Wisconsin) is someone to look at although he's not having that great of a senior year. He's still been productive in his career and he's got a tall frame. It wouldn't hurt for him to put on a couple of pounds. He's got great intangibles with great leadership and motor.

After that it depends on the juniors who declare. Auston English (Oklahoma), Maurice Evans (Penn St.) could both see the second round. Evans has a lot of talent, but has a marijuana arrest record on his record.

The DE out of USC Kyle Moore has a lot of potential and great size (6'6 270), but he hasn't lived up to that potential. Mitch King out of Iowa is a productive player who is versatile. I doubt they are first day picks though.

princefielder28
11-05-2008, 12:15 PM
Larry English of Northern Illinois is a stud as a pass rusher

SuperKevin
11-05-2008, 12:35 PM
I like Phillip Hunt out of Houston but He's probably a better 3-4 OLB

Ozzy
11-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Oh there are tons of good quality defensive ends out there.

2nd round star could be Robert Ayers, huge kid, strong and quick. Kind of came out of nowhere this year but the kid can play.

Like someone else said Kyle Moore is kind of getting lost in the mix, but very skilled pass rusher. Tim Jamison might got day one same with talented and athletic speed rushers in Antwain Robinson and Diyral Briggs.

Here are some other players, not day 1 prospects but a few sleepers in the later rounds. Loved how Vasquez played last year and he can really get to the QB. Sulak has been a great speed rusher for what seems like forever.

Stryler Sulak Missouri
Luis Vasquez Arizona State
Zach Potter Nebraska
Tremaine Johnson LSU
Eric Moncur Miami FL
Michael Bennett Texas A&M
Rulon Davis Cal
Will Davis Illinois

Turtlepower
11-05-2008, 12:40 PM

2nd round star could be Robert Ayers, huge kid, strong and quick. Kind of came out of nowhere this year but the kid can play.

Like someone else said Kyle Moore is kind of getting lost in the mix, but very skilled pass rusher.

Here are some other players, a few sleepers but overall there is always talent in the later rounds. Loved how Vasquez played last year and he can really get to the QB. Jamison is a beast at times on the field and Sulak has been a great speed rusher for what seems like forever.

Tim Jamison Michigan
Antwain Robinson Arkansas
Diyral Briggs Bowling Green
Stryler Sulak Missouri
Zach Potter Nebraska
Tremaine Johnson LSU
Eric Moncur Miami FL
Rulon Davis Cal
Will Davis Illinois

Luis Vasquez is god-awful. Dexter Davis has been seeing double-teams all year and Vasquez has been doing nothing to alleviate him. Seriously, he really isn't that great.

SuperKevin
11-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Luis Vasquez is god-awful. Dexter Davis has been seeing double-teams all year and Vasquez has been doing nothing to alleviate him. Seriously, he really isn't that great.

Ozzy watches one game and sees a player make a tackle and dubs him a star

Ozzy
11-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Luis Vasquez is god-awful. Dexter Davis has been seeing double-teams all year and Vasquez has been doing nothing to alleviate him. Seriously, he really isn't that great.Well yes I am speaking of last season, the two games I watched of ASU this year he was not on the field, or at least I did not notice him. Dexter Davis, he is a little small I must say, but yeah he is ok. Vasquez, not I do not know his completely life biography, if he is playing poorly this year well then yes the evaluation of him will change. Not that easy to follow absolutely every prospect, but I try.

SuperKevin Ozzy watches one game and sees a player make a tackle and dubs him a starWhat is it insulting hour? Oh, ok, SuperKevin watches no games and just reads what others say and passes it off as his own opinion ;)

bored of education
11-05-2008, 01:03 PM
I like Stryker Sulak of Mizzou as a mid round prospect. Good first step, slightly advanced with some of his moves and is white. So Jared Allen = Styker Sulak :)

SuperKevin
11-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Well yes I am speaking of last season, the two games I watched of ASU this year he was not on the field, or at least I did not notice him. Dexter Davis, he is a little small I must say, but yeah he is ok. Vasquez, not I do not know his completely life biography, if he is playing poorly this year well then yes the evaluation of him will change. Not that easy to follow absolutely every prospect, but I try.

SuperKevin watches no players and just reads what others say and passes it off as his own opinion ;)

That's exactly what I do. Why don't you go beat it to some cartoons or something?

Turtlepower
11-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Well yes I am speaking of last season, the two games I watched of ASU this year he was not on the field, or at least I did not notice him. Dexter Davis, he is a little small I must say, but yeah he is ok. Vasquez, not I do not know his completely life biography, if he is playing poorly this year well then yes the evaluation of him will change. Not that easy to follow absolutely every prospect, but I try.

He was a JUCO transfer who started for us last year and did very good opposite a dominant Dexter Davis. Vasquez performed well mostly due to Davis being the focus on many defenses last season, but Vasquez has just awful this year. If there is anyone in the PAC-10 who should be getting more respect it is Nick Reed who some team should definitely take a late round flyer on.

Sniper
11-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Really? We've made it this far without mentioning Brandon Graham?

bored of education
11-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Oh and Brandon Graham!

Ozzy
11-05-2008, 01:10 PM
He was a JUCO transfer who started for us last year and did very good opposite a dominant Dexter Davis. Vasquez performed well mostly due to Davis being the focus on many defenses last season, but Vasquez has just awful this year. If there is anyone in the PAC-10 who should be getting more respect it is Nick Reed who some team should definitely take a late round flyer on.
Really awful, last yeah I liked his size and how he used his hands to get off blocks, and he was not a great pass rusher but was decent. And yes agreed Nick Reed is a sleeper prospect for sure. Back to Vasquez, not going to write him off totally, but if he is actually playing that bad that is a shame, he showed a lot of promise last year.

That's exactly what I do. Why don't you go beat it to some cartoons or something?I think it is a Ariel day... haha

Turtlepower
11-05-2008, 01:15 PM
Really? We've made it this far without mentioning Brandon Graham?

Brandon Graham has to make up for the suckitude of Taylor.

Ozzy
11-05-2008, 01:22 PM
Brandon Graham has to make up for the suckitude of Taylor.HAHA wonderful word, Taylor is not playing that bad this year but then again he is not as good as he was last year either. Will be interesting to see what Jamison and Graham do against the Gophers this weekend, because Wootton completely destroyed their OTs. My guess is Wootton is that good.

ChezPower4
11-05-2008, 01:25 PM
Brandon Swain has some pretty good upside.

Sniper
11-05-2008, 02:04 PM
HAHA wonderful word, Taylor is not playing that bad this year but then again he is not as good as he was last year either. Will be interesting to see what Jamison and Graham do against the Gophers this weekend, because Wootton completely destroyed their OTs. My guess is Wootton is that good.

Brandon Graham eats babies, so there. Graham has 2.5 more TFL and 1.5 more sacks in one less game, therefore he wins.

dunagan15
11-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Everette Brown FSU

princefielder28
11-05-2008, 04:03 PM
Everette Brown FSU

Brown is a first round talent

Cigaro
11-05-2008, 04:30 PM
I'm a fan of Kirston Pittman. Very fast off the edge.

Also, lets hold off of evaluating prospects we've only rarely seen, especially if we haven't seen them once this year.

Big_Pete
11-05-2008, 05:27 PM
Umenyiora will be healthy, with Tuck and Kiwanuka the Giants will have the best three DEs in the NFL by a long way.

Tollefsen has done well, but the Giants will likely draft someone at some point to compete with him in camp.

I could see the Giants going for a DE as early as Round 1 if someone they want is there. The Giants have great depth and not alot of genuine needs (although there is some positions they will want to upgrade), so they have the luxury of picking whomever they want.

Once the juniors start declaring, this will likely be one of the deepest DE groups in some time.

Two guys I am keeping an eye on for some time in the the early-mid rounds are:

Matt Shaughnessy (Wisconsin) 6-6, 253, 4.75
Cody Brown (Connecticut) 6-3, 248, 4.70
Will Davis (Illinois) 6-3, 268, 4.75

Ozzy
11-05-2008, 07:32 PM
I'm a fan of Kirston Pittman. Very fast off the edge.

Also, lets hold off of evaluating prospects we've only rarely seen, especially if we haven't seen them once this year.Kirston Pittman, is he even starting anymore on LSU? Hasn't Johnson taken his place, and Rahim Alem is the big time DE on that team, opposite Jackson, not Pittman he is kind of having a down year I would say.

I saw Arizona State twice this year, not my fault Vasquez did not show up in those games or was inured. ;)

rockio42
11-05-2008, 08:10 PM
I like Stryker Sulak of Mizzou as a mid round prospect. Good first step, slightly advanced with some of his moves and is white. So Jared Allen = Styker Sulak :)

You said the guy from Gardner Webb you drafted last year was Jared Allen

TACKLE
11-05-2008, 09:26 PM
Here are a few under the radar guys who could shoot up boards.

Alex Carrington, JR, Arkansas State: 6'5 280

Carrington is a small school guy who is having a monster year. In 8 games he has 15 TFLs and also has 9.5. He has ideal size and amazing production but level of competition always a factor.

Brandon Williams, JR, Texas Tech: 6'5 250

This guy really impressed me against Texas and was in Colt McCoy's face all game. He has had really good production this season with 10 sacks and 11 TFLs (both are all solo). He is a bit thin but has a frame that could put on more weight.

Staggart
11-05-2008, 09:42 PM
orion martin out of VT. He is a walk on with the lunch pail mentality. He plays DE at vt but some say he could play OLB in nfl

Height: 6-2 Weight: 255

Watch him tomorrow night when they play Md

SuperKevin
11-05-2008, 09:46 PM
orion martin out of VT. He is a walk on with the lunch pail mentality. He plays DE at vt but some say he could play OLB in nfl

Height: 6-2 Weight: 255

Watch him tomorrow night when they lose to Md

Fixed it for you

Staggart
11-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Fixed it for you

Thursday night in Blacksburg is where ranked teams go to die

SuperKevin
11-05-2008, 09:51 PM
Thursday night in Blacksburg is where ranked teams go to die

Is Holt starting for Tech?

Staggart
11-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Havent really been too clear on that. I've heard rumors that glennon and taylor may be ready to play if needed. I really wanna see Boone play some QB though. thats gonna be a big boy to take down for your small dline

AkiliSmith
11-05-2008, 10:17 PM
Junior Jerry Hughes from TCU, an end/outside linebacker tweener at 6'2 250, is having a great season: 40 tackles, 17 tackles for loss, 14 sacks, 5 forced fumbles, 2 interceptions.

Also another junior Jammie Kirlew of Indiana, 6'3 260, has picked up Middleton's slack this season: 53 tackles, 16.5 tackles for loss, 8.5 sacks

djp
11-05-2008, 11:21 PM
Willie VanDeSteeg, Minnesota is a favorite of mine. Reminds me a lot of Brian Robison.

SuperKevin
11-05-2008, 11:23 PM
Willie VanDeSteeg, Minnesota is a favorite of mine. Reminds me a lot of Brian Robison.

Hopefully he goes to Tennessee so they can have a Monopoly on players with long Dutch last names.

giantsfan
11-05-2008, 11:39 PM
Umenyiora will be healthy, with Tuck and Kiwanuka the Giants will have the best three DEs in the NFL by a long way.

Tollefsen has done well, but the Giants will likely draft someone at some point to compete with him in camp.

I could see the Giants going for a DE as early as Round 1 if someone they want is there. The Giants have great depth and not alot of genuine needs (although there is some positions they will want to upgrade), so they have the luxury of picking whomever they want.

Once the juniors start declaring, this will likely be one of the deepest DE groups in some time.

Two guys I am keeping an eye on for some time in the the early-mid rounds are:

Matt Shaughnessy (Wisconsin) 6-6, 253, 4.75
Cody Brown (Connecticut) 6-3, 248, 4.70
Will Davis (Illinois) 6-3, 268, 4.75

I just think Kiwi's getting to good to keep out of the starting lineup which is why I see him starting at SLB next season unless we move Tuck to full time UT.

Zyro_1014
11-06-2008, 12:33 AM
I think someone to keep an eye on will be Kyle Moore, lots of potential and great size, under achieving right now but ya never know.

giantsfan
11-06-2008, 12:37 AM
I think someone to keep an eye on will be Kyle Moore, lots of potential and great size, under achieving right now but ya never know.

Is he underachieving due to poor technique or just poor/inconsistent work ethic? Cause a buddy of mine mentioned him yesterday when posed with the same question.

SenorGato
11-06-2008, 12:40 AM
Everette Brown?

Better as a 3-4 OLB anyway IMO, but not even a mention...plus he could potentially go in the first round.

Lawrence Wilson could get a couple of looks.

SuperKevin
11-06-2008, 12:42 AM
Everette Brown?

He's an underclassmen and could be a 1st rounder if he declared

giantsfan
11-06-2008, 12:46 AM
Everette Brown?

Better as a 3-4 OLB anyway IMO, but not even a mention...plus he could potentially go in the first round.

Lawrence Wilson could get a couple of looks.

I think he's a first round pick as a 3-4 OLB if he comes out.

Zyro_1014
11-06-2008, 12:54 AM
Is he underachieving due to poor technique or just poor/inconsistent work ethic? Cause a buddy of mine mentioned him yesterday when posed with the same question.

well he works hard, everyone on that defense is known for their work ethic, he is definately a project but freak measurables. I think he'd put up better numbers in a defense that wasnt so stacked with such good defenders.

Cigaro
11-06-2008, 06:28 AM
Kirston Pittman, is he even starting anymore on LSU? Hasn't Johnson taken his place, and Rahim Alem is the big time DE on that team, opposite Jackson, not Pittman he is kind of having a down year I would say.

I saw Arizona State twice this year, not my fault Vasquez did not show up in those games or was inured. ;)

Yes Pittman is still starting for LSU. And no, I don't believe he's having a down year. Rahim Alem is an emerging star on the defense, but Pittman still flies of the edge. Sure he's not much of a run stopper, but never has been. He'd be a good second day pick for a team looking for a situational pass rusher.

bored of education
11-06-2008, 06:39 AM
You said the guy from Gardner Webb you drafted last year was Jared Allen

Oh yeah :)

Larry121283
11-06-2008, 08:32 AM

Like someone else said Kyle Moore is kind of getting lost in the mix, but very skilled pass rusher. Tim Jamison might got day one same with talented and athletic speed rushers in Antwain Robinson and Diyral Briggs.

Here are some other players, not day 1 prospects but a few sleepers in the later rounds. Loved how Vasquez played last year and he can really get to the QB. Sulak has been a great speed rusher for what seems like forever.

Stryler Sulak Missouri
Zach Potter Nebraska
Tremaine Johnson LSU
Eric Moncur Miami FL
Rulon Davis Cal
Will Davis Illinois

EM is going to take a medical redshirt this year.

SuperKevin
11-06-2008, 08:34 AM
EM is going to take a medical redshirt this year.

He's only allowed to take a redshirt if they go to the ACC championship and a bowl game. Otherwise he played in too many games to qualify.

Larry121283
11-06-2008, 08:38 AM
He's only allowed to take a redshirt if they go to the ACC championship and a bowl game. Otherwise he played in too many games to qualify.
It is % of snaps...considering he has played under 100 total plays this season, he is nearly a shoe in for the medical.

He also missed time early in the year, so he has only played in three games and was limited in snaps for each game.

However, these things do basically come down to which person gets the application at the office.

Larry121283
11-06-2008, 08:39 AM
On topic...Pannel Egboh. Big fan of this kid. Probably a nice 2nd or 3rd round 34 end.

SuperKevin
11-06-2008, 08:40 AM
It is % of snaps...considering he has played under 100 total plays this season, he is nearly a shoe in for the medical.

He also missed time early in the year, so he has only played in three games and was limited in snaps for each game.

However, these things do basically come down to which person gets the application at the office.

We've already had like a 3 page discussion about this in the Miami thread. Moncur and McCarthy are only eligible if they play the ACC Championship and a bowl game. I'll find the link with proof.

Smokey Joe
11-06-2008, 12:18 PM
I like Phillip Hunt out of Houston but He's probably a better 3-4 OLB
I think he's got the size to be 4-3 DE, at least for a cover 2 scheme. He's on the short side at about 6'1"-6'2", but I see that as an advantage for him as he's able to get underneath linemen and have good leverage.

PACKmanN
11-06-2008, 12:23 PM
what are people's thoughts on Kyle Moore, USC?

Ozzy
11-06-2008, 12:50 PM
Again, there seriously has to be more talk about Robert Ayers. No not the "terrorist" that Obama supposedly was friends with, damn I got tired of hearing that ****, thank goodness Obama is out man though in the big house!

Anyway, Ayers is a 6-3 270 tank, sure he does not put up huge sack numbers but he is a strong DE, can really hold his own against the run and is good enough at getting consistent pressure in the QBs face. His physical size and strength is what I like most about him, it is becoming hard to find tough physical DEs now with all the speed rushers around.
http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2008/01/01/PH2008010101079.jpg

Mr. Offseason
11-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Yes Pittman is still starting for LSU. And no, I don't believe he's having a down year. Rahim Alem is an emerging star on the defense, but Pittman still flies of the edge. Sure he's not much of a run stopper, but never has been. He'd be a good second day pick for a team looking for a situational pass rusher.

thats what i have always thought of him, i was very glad he got that medical redshirt so he could come back and show what he can do when healthy for scouts.

i really do like matt shaughnessy from wisconsin. hes one of the higher ranked DE's that isnt projected to go in the 1st but i have watched a good amount of him and i like what he brings. as someone else said he is a good leader, has a good motor and works hard, and also has good size and speed off the edge. i think hes probably a 2nd rounder assuming a couple of juniors declare early, but i think he will make a good RE in the NFL. if the Falcons didnt have more pressing needs id gladly pick him up in the middle of round 2 to groom him behind John Abraham. that would be amazing imo.

connor barwin is a really interesting guy to me. i started talking about him a couple of weeks ago and now he is really flying up boards i think. he looked very good in the cincy game i saw on espn last week, he even caught a TD! he was a TE his entire career until this year but he is having a very good season as a defensive end. hes a good edge rusher but obviously he is raw. lots of potential though. it will be interesting to see where he goes on draft day. id say first 3 rounds barring a dissapointing combine showing.

those are a few that i really like. im not too wild about a handful of other guys, but i still need to watch a lot of them.

Mr. Offseason
11-06-2008, 01:42 PM
On topic...Pannel Egboh. Big fan of this kid. Probably a nice 2nd or 3rd round 34 end.

i feel like he could have good success in the 4-3 because while some say he is a 'tweener i think he could be kind of like jason jones for tennessee (who is having a very good season). the same thing was said about him and he had good size, versatility like egboh does. hes not really on my radar because my team (the falcons) isnt looking for LE help this early in Jamaal Anderson's development, especially now that he is starting to come on. however, he has intrigued me since i first read a bit about him. i really want to see him play some more. he seems to use his hands and long arms (the dude is 6'6", 275 with long arms!). i know he had a sprained knee a few weeks ago, is he back and healthy from that? other than a broken leg hes never really had any injury problems, hes been pretty durable. im glad you brought him up, i like his potential.

Cigaro
11-06-2008, 04:11 PM
Again, there seriously has to be more talk about Robert Ayers. No not the "terrorist" that Obama supposedly was friends with, damn I got tired of hearing that ****, thank goodness Obama is out man though in the big house!

Anyway, Ayers is a 6-3 270 tank, sure he does not put up huge sack numbers but he is a strong DE, can really hold his own against the run and is good enough at getting consistent pressure in the QBs face. His physical size and strength is what I like most about him, it is becoming hard to find tough physical DEs now with all the speed rushers around.
http://media3.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/photo/2008/01/01/PH2008010101079.jpg

Eh, I don't know. I watched the entire South Carolina-Tennessee game, and I don't remember him making too many plays, especially against such a bad offensive line.

SenorGato
11-07-2008, 01:05 AM

Ayers has stood out alot, but thats because Tennesse's DT's have been nasty.

I do like him though. He's a really tough, stout player with good character and a high motor.

I like Demonte' Bolden.

etk
11-09-2008, 08:33 PM
I like Will Davis from Illinois.

DragonFireKai
11-09-2008, 09:03 PM
Victor Butler and Slade Norris are undersized, but are pure speed, being a former Running Back and Safety respectively.

Don Vito
11-09-2008, 09:09 PM
What does everyone think of USC's Kyle Moore? He definitely has a lot of talent I just haven't seen to many USC games this year.

Bob Sacamano
11-10-2008, 09:42 PM
UConn DE Cody Brown

a strongside end: Iowa DE Mitch King

Bob Sacamano
11-10-2008, 09:57 PM
also would like to add San Jose State DT Jarron Gilbert

his best fit is probably at DE in a 3-4, but I think of Julius Peppers when I look at him

6'6" 280, leads the nation in tackles for loss w/ 19.5, has 9 sacks, was a DE until they moved him inside this year

his teammate on the line, a Junior who goes by the name of Carl Inehua something or another, is pretty good too

Pokeys
11-11-2008, 11:54 PM
http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/3500/f324741pd1.jpg

DE Eric Moncur Miami

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/2649/610xqg1.jpg

DE Jamaal Westerman Rutgers

20 sacks...

CantStopGregJones
11-12-2008, 12:30 AM
connor barwin is a really interesting guy to me. i started talking about him a couple of weeks ago and now he is really flying up boards i think. he looked very good in the cincy game i saw on espn last week, he even caught a TD! he was a TE his entire career until this year but he is having a very good season as a defensive end. hes a good edge rusher but obviously he is raw. lots of potential though. it will be interesting to see where he goes on draft day. id say first 3 rounds barring a dissapointing combine showing.

Holy Hell! a Connor Barwin mention!! I don't know who you are, but you're officially my favorite poster on this forum.

He's way more then an edge rusher though he uses his power very very effectively. He has edge rushing freakish athletic ability and a bull rush like a pissed off warthog.

My Big Board:
1. God
2. Connor Barwin
3. Superman

4-255. The rest of the mortal draft prospects.

CashmoneyDrew
11-12-2008, 12:32 AM
Dan Williams is a better pro prospect than Demonte Bolden and Robert Ayers IMO. I do like Robert Ayers though. I think he'd be a good fit in a 3-4 as well. OLB wise that is.

Larry121283
11-14-2008, 11:53 AM
We've already had like a 3 page discussion about this in the Miami thread. Moncur and McCarthy are only eligible if they play the ACC Championship and a bowl game. I'll find the link with proof.
From today's Herald...

...All were honored before the kickoff. At least two other seniors, Anthony Reddick and Eric Moncur, are hoping they will be granted a sixth year of eligibility because of injuries in their careers.

Moncur will get his shirt, trust in that.

Mr. Stiller
11-14-2008, 03:16 PM

I think Kyle Moore is a guy to rotate a few years and eventually be a weakside DE in a 3-4.

I think his struggle is passrushing, he seems more a containment guy and seemed to be in his element when they went to the 3-4 at times last year.

Mr. Stiller
11-14-2008, 03:18 PM
Dan Williams is a better pro prospect than Demonte Bolden and Robert Ayers IMO. I do like Robert Ayers though. I think he'd be a good fit in a 3-4 as well. OLB wise that is.

I think Bolden could be a top notch 3-4 DE prospect. He doesn't seem to have the passrush required of the UT Position, not quite sturdy enough for NT, but he's above average...

I see Williams as a possible 3-4 NT as well.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-14-2008, 03:41 PM
He got a quick mention on the first page, but I really like the junior defensive end from Northwestern, Corey Wootton. He's listed at 6-7 280 and has played awesome football this year. If he came out early, I think he could sneak into the back end of the first round.

Cigaro
11-14-2008, 04:12 PM
He got a quick mention on the first page, but I really like the junior defensive end from Northwestern, Corey Wootton. He's listed at 6-7 280 and has played awesome football this year. If he came out early, I think he could sneak into the back end of the first round.

Hell no.

He has been playing good, but not great, this is his first year of true success, I don't remember him being a great athlete, and he plays for a small school football wise.

He may end up good in the pros, that's a claim to early to be shot down, but equally brought up. But to truly believe he has a legitimate chance in being a first round pick? Near insanity.

giantsfan
11-14-2008, 04:35 PM

I've started paying attention to some Northwestern games cause a buddy from back home ended up going there for their pre-med program which gaurantees a spot in their med school and he brought him and the kid is looking very good. He seems to have really quick feet for a guy his size, don't know if he's got the straightline speed and burst though to make it all the way into the first, that said if we miss out on a top DE in round 1 I'm starting to really like this kid for the saints pick in the second round for the gmen if he were to come out.

keylime_5
11-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Hell no.

He has been playing good, but not great, this is his first year of true success, I don't remember him being a great athlete, and he plays for a small school football wise.

He may end up good in the pros, that's a claim to early to be shot down, but equally brought up. But to truly believe he has a legitimate chance in being a first round pick? Near insanity.

not true at all, Wootten I think will be a first round pick if he stays for his senior year, if he leaves early he'll probably be a 2nd round pick. Wootten has some real talent and has been pretty good this year, without question a potential first rounder.
...And the problem with small schools is their level of competition not the fact that they don't have much talent, and Northwestern plays in the big ten and isn't really considered a small school.

Joker_232
11-14-2008, 05:12 PM
What does everyone think of USC's Kyle Moore? He definitely has a lot of talent I just haven't seen to many USC games this year.

Moore definately has all the measurables and the potential to be a good player, but hes more of a complete End like LJ was at SC. Not overly impressive at anything but he plays the pass and the run very effectively.

Menardo75
11-14-2008, 05:16 PM
I was going to say Ricky Sapp, but I think after the combine he might slip into round one.

Cigaro
11-14-2008, 05:19 PM
not true at all, Wootten I think will be a first round pick if he stays for his senior year, if he leaves early he'll probably be a 2nd round pick. Wootten has some real talent and has been pretty good this year, without question a potential first rounder.
...And the problem with small schools is their level of competition not the fact that they don't have much talent, and Northwestern plays in the big ten and isn't really considered a small school.
I wasn't talking about competition, or the size of the school, hence 'football wise'. I was talking about media exposure, which while GMs would like to say has no effect, it does.

And I was talking about him coming out this year when I said there was no way in hell he'd go in the first, for clarification.

I was going to say Ricky Sapp, but I think after the combine he might slip into round one.

He'll likely put up great combine numbers, but he hasn't done anything on the field. He was decent last year, but this year he's barely making an impact.

keylime_5
11-14-2008, 05:26 PM
there's a pretty decent chance Wootton goes first round if he leaves this year. D-Linemen tend to go higher than they should like QBs and OTs, while RBs, LBs, and TEs slip. I don't think media exposure has an impact on a guy's draft status like that....I think a guy can get overexposed by the media and go higher than he should like Matt Leinart, but I don't think it works the other way around so much in the draft. Lots of no name guys from the regular season always go in the first round every year.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-14-2008, 05:31 PM
I wasn't talking about competition, or the size of the school, hence 'football wise'. I was talking about media exposure, which while GMs would like to say has no effect, it does.

It may have some effect higher up in the draft, but it has no effect on the scouting report the teams receive. And Wootton is going to have some really positive reports after the way he's played this year. I'm not sure I expect him to leave school early, but if he did, I definitely think he could work his way into the 25-45 range.

Cigaro
11-14-2008, 05:31 PM
there's a pretty decent chance Wootton goes first round if he leaves this year. D-Linemen tend to go higher than they should like QBs and OTs, while RBs, LBs, and TEs slip. I don't think media exposure has an impact on a guy's draft status like that....I think a guy can get overexposed by the media and go higher than he should like Matt Leinart, but I don't think it works the other way around so much in the draft. Lots of no name guys from the regular season always go in the first round every year.

Guys I think will go ahead of him, in no certain order;

Michael Johnson
George Selvie
Greg Hardy
Tyson Jackson
Everette Brown

Brian Orakpo could also stay at defensive end. I don't know how your rankings differ, but I can't see Wootton get in the first round with those names in front of him.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Considering that 5 defensive ends where taken in the first round last year and two of the guys you've listed are underclassmen, I don't think it's a huge stretch.

Cigaro
11-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Considering that 5 defensive ends where taken in the first round last year and two of the guys you've listed are underclassmen, I don't think it's a huge stretch.

Wootton would become the sixth, possibly seventh if Orakpo is drafted by a 4-3 team. Also, they may be underclassmen, but they are very likely to come out, especially with the rookie cap looming.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-14-2008, 05:52 PM
There's a major difference between saying that with the wealth of top defensive ends his chances of sneaking into the first round are slim and calling me "nearly insane" for thinking those chances exist.

keylime_5
11-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Guys I think will go ahead of him, in no certain order;

Michael Johnson
George Selvie
Greg Hardy
Tyson Jackson
Everette Brown

Brian Orakpo could also stay at defensive end. I don't know how your rankings differ, but I can't see Wootton get in the first round with those names in front of him.

I could easiliy see Selvie and Hardy dropping out if they both declare. Jackson is a little different breed than the others, not a speed rusher really but a big guy who is a base end. Wootton definitely is in the first round conversation. This is a really deep year for DEs though, so guys with first round grades can fall into the 2nd, and I really think at least 1 or 2 will.