PDA

View Full Version : Sean Taylor To Enter The Ring of Honor

21ST
11-05-2008, 12:04 PM
The Redskins are announcing that the slain safety will be indicuted into the Ring on Nov. 30, when the Giants visit FedEx Field.
More details of the ceremony are to come. Sean was shot and killed last November, and remains in the hearts and minds of his coaches and teammates.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/11/sean_taylor_to_enter_the_ring.html

Gay Ork Wang
11-05-2008, 12:08 PM
Definitely nice to see.

Anyone think they gonna retire his jersey?

NY+Giants=NYG
11-05-2008, 12:10 PM
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/2008/11/sean_taylor_to_enter_the_ring.html

I saw that too.. Man dumbing down the standards I see. He was a great player, who I actually wanted that year, but ring of fame already? Come on now. What's next hall of fame candidate? Retiring his jersey? Statue in his honor?

princefielder28
11-05-2008, 12:21 PM
I am probably going to be in the minority with my opinion by here it is. It's obviously an unbelieveable gesture by the franchise to do this, but I think it's a bit over-the-top. He was a good human being, an emerging star in the league, and died tragically but this is not what the ring of honor is truely intended for. I could see a momument or symbol across the stadium, like St. Louis did for DK, but I think this move in some ways discredits what others on the Ring of Honor have done for the organization.

21ST
11-05-2008, 12:22 PM
I saw that too.. Man dumbing down the standards I see. He was a great player, who I actually wanted that year, but ring of fame already? Come on now. What's next hall of fame candidate? Retiring his jersey? Statue in his honor?

He was one of the best players we ever had of course he is going the the ring of fame and i hope they retire his jersey number

Hawk
11-05-2008, 12:30 PM
He was one of the best players we ever had of course he is going the the ring of fame and i hope they retire his jersey number

He was good, but best players of all time? That's really pushing it. What happened to him was horrific, but everything that's happened afterwards has really been over to top.

NY+Giants=NYG
11-05-2008, 12:30 PM

That's a slap in the face to all the great players you guys had. He had sick, sick potential, and may have been a hall of famer in the future. He was still had a long ways to go to straighten out his life, and having a kid helped him out big time. But like I said he was on track, but not there yet. As far as his game, he made some sick plays, but also blow coverages as well. I have no doubt that element would have been fixed later in his career as he developed, since he was so young, but to put him in the ring of honor is a disgrace to the guys who actually deserved it.

It's almost as if you're a good player and you have an untimely passing, that you from good-great to elite overnight with fans going all out for you. I understand it's a sad situation, and I know he was a great player, but I have no doubt in my mind this is WAY over the top.

703SKINS202
11-05-2008, 12:40 PM
If you're not a skins fan then **** your opinion doesn't matter really because you don't know what he meant to this town. I respect the franchise for doing this.

princefielder28
11-05-2008, 12:42 PM
If you're not a skins fan then **** your opinion doesn't matter really because you don't know what he meant to this town. I respect the franchise for doing this.

What kinds of impact did he have on the town?

Turtlepower
11-05-2008, 12:44 PM
Honestly though, the ring of honor is for the fans and the fans loved and will always remember Sean Taylor. I really don't have a problem with this because I know that 90% of the Redskins fans will approve of this happening.

NY+Giants=NYG
11-05-2008, 12:47 PM

Give me a break! Our opinion is as good as yours! Just because we don't sip the Burgendy and gold kool-aid doesn't mean we can't comment on it, especially since this FORUM is the NFL talk one, and not the extremeskins MB!!!!!

bored of education
11-05-2008, 12:47 PM
I think its cool

SuperKevin
11-05-2008, 12:53 PM
If the Cardinals can retire Pat Tillman's number then the Redskins can put Sean Taylor in the Ring of Fame.

Rayray52
11-05-2008, 12:54 PM
Piece of **** Giants homers need to stop posting in this thread, 1 in particular he was a great player and its a great sign of respect and recognition for the franchise and its fans.

ChezPower4
11-05-2008, 12:55 PM
Very classy thing to do by the Redsinks, I really like this

Turtlepower
11-05-2008, 12:56 PM
Piece of **** Giants homers need to stop posting in this thread, 1 in particular he was a great player and its a great sign of respect and recognition for the franchise and its fans.

Well that is uncalled for. Just say the second part of your statement and the first part of your statement making you look like an ass would be ignored.

tjsunstein
11-05-2008, 01:06 PM
Classy move by the Redskins. I don't think others in this elite Redskins club would take offense to Taylor being inducted.

Jughead10
11-05-2008, 01:19 PM
I'm pissed because this is going to raise ticket prices for that game. I was planning on driving down for it.

iowatreat54
11-05-2008, 01:33 PM
who cares, it's the Redskins' choice to honor him, if he was a fan favorite then this is the right thing to do for the franchise

if it was something instituted by the NFL, then there's a argument, but the Redskins' have the right to do whatever they want for their players and fans

703SKINS202
11-05-2008, 01:40 PM
who cares, it's the Redskins' choice to honor him, if he was a fan favorite then this is the right thing to do for the franchise

if it was something instituted by the NFL, then there's a argument, but the Redskins' have the right to do whatever they want for their players and fans

exactly, if u have anything negative to say about this move then u are just a hater or ******* ignorant

Jughead10
11-05-2008, 01:42 PM
exactly, if u have anything negative to say about this move then u are just a hater or ******* ignorant

I agree. The Skins to do whatever they want to honor him. But the only reason he is getting this done is because of the tragic nature of his death. But it still seems like a good way to honor him.

703SKINS202
11-05-2008, 01:44 PM
I agree. The Skins to do whatever they want to honor him. But the only reason he is getting this done is because of the tragic nature of his death. But it still seems like a good way to honor him.

Any wrongful death is tragic. Scratch that, all death is tragic when you die that young.

Jughead10
11-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Any wrongful death is tragic. Scratch that, all death is tragic when you die that young.

Agreed. My point was that it was his death and not his play on the field (although great in a short time), that is warranting this honor. If Sean Taylor didn't die tragically but blew out his knee the following week, and then blew it out again the following season and had to retire, he wouldn't be receiving this honor.

21ST
11-05-2008, 01:48 PM
That's a slap in the face to all the great players you guys had. He had sick, sick potential, and may have been a hall of famer in the future. He was still had a long ways to go to straighten out his life, and having a kid helped him out big time. But like I said he was on track, but not there yet. As far as his game, he made some sick plays, but also blow coverages as well. I have no doubt that element would have been fixed later in his career as he developed, since he was so young, but to put him in the ring of honor is a disgrace to the guys who actually deserved it.

It's almost as if you're a good player and you have an untimely passing, that you from good-great to elite overnight with fans going all out for you. I understand it's a sad situation, and I know he was a great player, but I have no doubt in my mind this is WAY over the top.

So do you think that the people that are in the ring of fame well feel like its a slap in the face? Wonder what joe gibbs would think

703SKINS202
11-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Agreed. My point was that it was his death and not his play on the field (although great in a short time), that is warranting this honor. If Sean Taylor didn't die tragically but blew out his knee the following week, and then blew it out again the following season and had to retire, he wouldn't be receiving this honor.

No **** but it was his play on the field and desire for the game that overwhelmed this DC are and won the hearts of every fan. You can't find me one skins fan probably that would say he wasn't their favorite player before he died. Nobody could deny how great of a football player he was so like I said before **** cause you are speaking on something that has nothing to do with you or the Redskins. It's pretty obvious to me there is jealousy/hatred going on either that or you are heartless.

Jughead10
11-05-2008, 01:56 PM
No **** but it was his play on the field and desire for the game that overwhelmed this DC are and won the hearts of every fan. You can't find me one skins fan probably that would say he wasn't their favorite player before he died. Nobody could deny how great of a football player he was so like I said before **** cause you are speaking on something that has nothing to do with you or the Redskins. It's pretty obvious to me there is jealousy/hatred going on either that or you are heartless.

There is no jealousy, hatred, or heartlessness (if that is even a word). I'm trying to be objective. I think this is a great and proper way to honor him, but do you think this would be going on if his career ended in the scenario I created. The only reason I'm even thinking about this is because, like I said earlier, it could cause my from possibly forgetting a planned trip to DC.

703SKINS202
11-05-2008, 02:02 PM
There is no jealousy, hatred, or heartlessness (if that is even a word). I'm trying to be objective. I think this is a great and proper way to honor him, but do you think this would be going on if his career ended in the scenario I created. The only reason I'm even thinking about this is because, like I said earlier, it could cause my from possibly forgetting a planned trip to DC.

To answer your question which has nothing to do with what happened, no. Lavar Arrington isn't in our ring of fame and that's pretty much what happened to him after 2-3 years. Who cares though you're bitchin about this cause ticket prices are going up now? Please, I don't even know what else to say.

703SKINS202
11-05-2008, 02:03 PM
And btw fed ex holds 92,000 and skins fans are pussies and sold 30,000 to steelers fans so don't fret.

Jughead10
11-05-2008, 02:06 PM
To answer your question which has nothing to do with what happened, no. Lavar Arrington isn't in our ring of fame and that's pretty much what happened to him after 2-3 years. Who cares though you're bitchin about this cause ticket prices are going up now? Please, I don't even know what else to say.

Ok then you agree with me. This is a great way to honor a great player who died tragically. I'm not bitchin either. I'm just speaking my mind, I'm not upset about anything.

TimD
11-05-2008, 02:06 PM
I think its cool

as do i. if your a giants fan then you have no idea what he meant to the Skins team/fans/management so just shut the **** up.

Honestly though, the ring of honor is for the fans and the fans loved and will always remember Sean Taylor. I really don't have a problem with this because I know that 90% of the Redskins fans will approve of this happening.

good post

21ST
11-05-2008, 02:07 PM
fedex is basicly a big bussines meeting

Turtlepower
11-05-2008, 02:07 PM
as do i. if your a giants fan then you have no idea what he meant to the Skins team/fans/management so just shut the **** up.

1 Giants fan spoke his opinion against it and 2 supported. Stop with the Giants hate people.

Jughead10
11-05-2008, 02:08 PM
fedex is basicly a big bussines meeting

I knew that. I was just figuring this is going to raise prices on stubhub, ebay, etc, by quite a bit. And this is not a great time for most people to spend any more money than they have to.

neko4
11-05-2008, 02:13 PM
His NFL production may not warrant a spot on the Ring of Honor, but he was a young man who made bad decisions in his life and then started to become a better person so he could be a good role model for his daughter. That is very heroic to me

703SKINS202
11-05-2008, 02:13 PM
I knew that. I was just figuring this is going to raise prices on stubhub, ebay, etc, by quite a bit. And this is not a great time for most people to spend any more money than they have to.

Don't worry, someone will sell you their tickets at a good rate. Fed Ex is such a terrible stadium it's the worst home field advantage ever. I am embarrassed with Skins fans at the moment. 6-2 vs 5-2 Steelers on monday night when were having arguably the best/most exciting season since 1991 and 30,000 tickets go to the Steelers. We had to go to a silent snap count in our own stadium what a ******* joke.

Jughead10
11-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Don't worry, someone will sell you their tickets at a good rate. Fed Ex is such a terrible stadium it's the worst home field advantage ever. I am embarrassed with Skins fans at the moment. 6-2 vs 5-2 Steelers on monday night when were having arguably the best/most exciting season since 1991 and 30,000 tickets go to the Steelers. We had to go to a silent snap count in our own stadium what a ******* joke.

Thats rough. You guys can only pump in artificial crowd noice, too bad you can't pump out actual crowd noice.

703SKINS202
11-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Thats rough. You guys can only pump in artificial crowd noice, too bad you can't pump out actual crowd noice.

Jim Zorn said it reminded him of the Superbowl in 2005. It really is embarrassing. Snyder needs to do something about ticket prices and needs to look at a way to make sure it's not so easy for people to sell tickets to rival teams. Skins fans who sold their tickets also need to kill themselves.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
11-05-2008, 02:25 PM

Get over yourself. Don't post in the main thread if you want it to stay within your Redskin circle. Just because you feel one way, doesn't mean others do. Not sure what this has to do with 'you' directly, and i doubt you are 'part of the Redskins organization' also.....but we'll make an exception for you....hahaha.

Cool your Jets

703SKINS202
11-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Get over yourself. Don't post in the main thread if you want it to stay within your Redskin circle. Just because you feel one way, doesn't mean others do. Not sure what this has to do with 'you' directly, and i doubt you are 'part of the Redskins organization' also.....but we'll make an exception for you....hahaha.

Cool your Jets

Others shouldn't give an S like you because how does it affect them if we honor Sean Taylor in our stadium? I've heard one thing, "I was gonna go to that game but now tickets prices are gonna go up...". Give me a frickin break. Talk to me when you're favorite player of all time is slain down tragically and the Jets decide to honor him in their own way. Until then, keep to yourself. I'll post my opinions in the main thread all I want when arbitrary things are being said about a way of honoring my favorite player of all time.

Jimmy
11-05-2008, 02:45 PM
classy move, he may have not played as long as the other guys in that ring, but when he stepped on that field, i promise you, there is hardly a safety out there who was more talented. that alone should get him up there.

Pb&j
11-05-2008, 02:58 PM
This is no different than the Brown's retiring number 45 in honor of Ernie Davis, who never played a down for them. It is classy, and shows respect for the players of the organization...

But for anyone to try to put him into any hall of fame would be stupid.

captainjack27
11-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Very respectful move. Yes he was still young, but he was a huge part of the team and a fan favorite, so i see no fault in this

skinzzfan25
11-05-2008, 04:13 PM
It's a nice gesture to put him in the ROF.

However, they shouldn't retire the number. The only player to have their number officially retired is Sammy Baugh. In my opinion, if guys like Darrell Green, Monk, and Jurgensen etc don't have their number retired, neither should Taylor.

Of course, I doubt there will be another 21 on the Redskins for a very, very long time.

BlindSite
11-05-2008, 04:39 PM
Nice move by the Redskins

The Great Jonathan Vilma
11-05-2008, 04:45 PM
Others shouldn't give an S like you because how does it affect them if we honor Sean Taylor in our stadium? I've heard one thing, "I was gonna go to that game but now tickets prices are gonna go up...". Give me a frickin break. Talk to me when you're favorite player of all time is slain down tragically and the Jets decide to honor him in their own way. Until then, keep to yourself. I'll post my opinions in the main thread all I want when arbitrary things are being said about a way of honoring my favorite player of all time.

haha, you are a joke. I didn't say a single negative thing about them honouring him. I loved Sean Taylor as a player, i followed him since his freshman season, just as i did his teammate Vilma, but you clearly have some sick obsession with him since you react to aggressively when discussion involves him. Especially since i said nothing negative about him being inducted into the Ring of Honour. I do see where some people are coming from. A tragic death doesn't necessarily deserve this, or the list could get very huge. He was far from a roll model, even if he was turning it around. The Redskins can do what they want....no one is stopping them, it obviously pleases fans, and people with crazy player obsessions, such as yourself, so a good move by them......regardless, you need to ease off the gas peddle, other people can post their opinion, even if it is different than your own.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Geez people have compassion. It's the Skins ring of honor. It's not the hall of fame. The ring of honor has no career qualifications for you do be inducted like the hall of fame. The ring of honor is simply a ring around the stadium which shows the Skins most remembered players. And Sean will be one of the most remembered players in Skins history. And for the guy who said it's a slap in the face to those who have made it in, I hardly agree, I doubt Darrell Green and Art Monk are pissed off because Sean is in the ring of honor. The ring of honor is strictly something in the stadium fans can look at to remember their favorite skins. This is not the hall of fame. Everyone just needs to calm down and chill out, Skins homers included. This is a great gesture by the team and Dan Snyder, and every current Skin as long as they live will remember Sean as one of the most influential people in their lives. And although it really has nothing to do with it, for someone who asked, Sean was very active in the DMV community. He may have had legal troubles earlier in his career down when he was in Miami, but whenever he was up here he never ran into any problems at all. He went to all charity events, and was very shy and quiet with the media. He was someone who you rarely saw interviewed as he hid from the media, but he would stay an extra hour after practice to sign autographs many times.