PDA

View Full Version : Michael Huff

Bengals78
11-05-2008, 03:43 PM
If he is released like it seems he might, we should sign him up. I know we Ndukwe and White but he is a huge upgrade. I think a Huff/Ndukwe safety tandem will instantly make us so much better on Defense. Huff out roaming deep and Ndukwe doing what he does up on the line.

PalmerToCJ
11-05-2008, 04:03 PM
You're not getting him confused with Hall are you? I hadn't heard anything about Huff being potentially cut.

Bengals78
11-05-2008, 04:46 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3684396

At his Monday news conference, interim Raiders coach Tom Cable said he was thinking of making more changes in the starting lineup. Since taking over for Lane Kiffin, Cable has benched receiver Ronald Curry and safety Michael Huff.

Well if you bench the talent it might be a foreshadowing...

rickscott
11-05-2008, 05:41 PM
Huff has pretty much been a bust in Oakl. Why would we think that all of the sudden he is going to play like the 1st rd draft pick that he was predicted to? I think the guy just doesn't have it. I'm happy with White as our future with Chine

Jimmy
11-05-2008, 05:42 PM
God damn would I bypass Christmas to get this guy in the Blue and Orange.

Bengals78
11-05-2008, 05:54 PM
Huff has pretty much been a bust in Oakl. Why would we think that all of the sudden he is going to play like the 1st rd draft pick that he was predicted to? I think the guy just doesn't have it. I'm happy with White as our future with Chine

He hasnt been a bust so much as in the wrong spot. He needs to be allowed to roam. In Oakland he has had to do a lot of in the box stuff which he is not good at. Its like making DWare drop back into coverage every play instead of blitzing

themaninblack
11-05-2008, 06:00 PM
He'd be a nice addition but it really is more of a luxury thing IMO. We have two young safeties who have great potential and I think using this money at that position wouldn't be very ideal. We have more pressing needs. Plus, the guy probably makes more money than White and Ndukwe combined.

Bengals78
11-05-2008, 06:12 PM
We cut Thorton and Jackson to make room ;)

bored of education
11-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Marvin White reminds me of Huff..not as atheltic though.

Bengals78
11-05-2008, 07:16 PM
He is very talented that is for sure. But Im not sure I would pass on Huff...

PalmerToCJ
11-05-2008, 08:46 PM
I would take him for sure but I'm happy with what we've got.

Given our record with FA signings I wouldn't get my hopes up if he is released.

doingthisinsteadofwork
11-05-2008, 08:59 PM
Huff isn't a tackler and isn't a ballhawk.he certainly wasn't worth picking #7 overall and could be considered a bust.He is however excellent in man coverage.If you need a guy who can cover both TEs and WRs well, Huffs your guy.

CincinnatiBengals15
11-05-2008, 10:44 PM
We already have a Michael Huff type saftey in Marvin White Huff has been a bust for how high he was taken he is good takler but not great in coverage I would not mind having him on this team but i would not overpay for him

J24
11-18-2008, 01:35 PM
Marvin White is more of a strong saftey suited for playing in the box and stopping the run.

themaninblack
11-18-2008, 07:59 PM
I think Marvin is exactly the versatile type of safety that ML always says he wants. I see Chinny as more of the in the box safety out of the two.

bengalbuck
12-09-2008, 01:14 AM
Marvin just isn't that good. I don't think he is a huge liability that makes finding a replacement a huge priority but I do think he is a below average NFL starter who makes way too many mistakes and misses way too many tackles.

themaninblack
12-09-2008, 12:01 PM
We're talking about a first year starter here who does have nice potential. Our secondary is probably the least of our worries when healthy. Give Marvin some time to adjust to the NFL and maybe grab a mid-late round safety for insurance. Micheal Huff is probably not the answer.

BengalMedic
12-10-2008, 07:30 AM
But appearently Mike Doss is:

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=7366

Typical signing and not impressed...

themaninblack
12-10-2008, 01:46 PM
Mike Doss is the answer because we signed him? please.

hobbes2053
12-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Lame. Totally lame.

rickscott
12-10-2008, 06:13 PM
Didn't Mike Doss get arrested on a gun charge a couple years ago? That likely convinced Mike Brown to pursue his signing. After all, it's Christmas and he was out of work.

Paranoidmoonduck
12-10-2008, 07:10 PM
He hasnt been a bust so much as in the wrong spot. He needs to be allowed to roam. In Oakland he has had to do a lot of in the box stuff which he is not good at. Its like making DWare drop back into coverage every play instead of blitzing

Just to point out, he's been playing free safety this year. And he's been pretty awful.

Menardo75
12-10-2008, 07:25 PM
I think Huff will be a star on another team. Everyone will bust in Oakland. He needs to cross the bay.

12-10-2008, 07:37 PM
I think Huff will be a star on another team. Everyone will bust in Oakland. He needs to cross the bay.

Maybe. He's got above average covering skills I could see him continue to improve on somewhere else with better coaching however I wouldn't expect him to be some kind of big playmaker by any means.

BengalMedic
12-11-2008, 07:13 AM
Mike Doss is the answer because we signed him? please.

Not my opinion, just going off the post prior to mine and stating they signed him..

My opinion is, what the F*CK ever !!! Yet another Ohio State castoff who has been in trouble with the law and Mike Brown thinks he can turn his life around to not only be a model citizen, but a playmaker on his defense.

I'm guessing neither happen and Mike Brown still can't figure out why Bengals fans HATE him so much...

themaninblack
12-11-2008, 08:23 AM
His contract would suggest otherwise. I don't think they are counting on him becoming a "playmaker", though a former starter for the Colts who is (maybe) finally healthy can have a shot at this point.

Raider_fan_Canada
01-05-2009, 01:15 AM
I really dont recommand this to you guys.

Michael Huff has been passed by 2 UFA. Rashad Baker and Hiram Eugene. He is now the Raiders 4th safety. Are you sure thats any help in a starter role?

The guy cannot tackle to save his life, is an invisible man as a starter and doesnt play with discipline. Coverage skills are sub-par and gives too many big plays. Is not any help against the run. There is one and one thing only he can do decently IMO and thats covering a TE in man coverage, I will give him that. Overall he is a soft player with bad techniques that cant help a team in any way (not even ST).

When I saw Haloti Ngata, the player that we could have had, dominate that goal line stand on the Dolphins first drive today I was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo pist!

Raider_fan_Canada
01-05-2009, 01:30 AM

Oh please!

See my post just above. About 300 drafted players and UFA enter the NFL each year. This guy has been the seventh picked out of them all and yet he got beaten out in the very same team by 2 guys that where more in the 250-300 range. Thats just embarassing and there is no excuse what so ever for some "would be a star" player to let that happen.

It was a horrible pick in hindsight but the defensive coaching staff (wich has been consistant over the last 5 years) is not responsible for that. He played both SS and FS, was given every chance and never showed the sign of any progress over 3 years. Huff cant play and thats all.

themaninblack
01-05-2009, 04:41 AM
Yeah, like I said before Huff is definitely not the answer. Chris Crocker has come in and played lights out, he deserves to be brought back next year. I still have hopes for Marvin White who could be helped alot(as could Ndukwe to a lesser extent) by Crocker as far as becoming consistent pro players.