PDA

View Full Version : James Casey TE Rice

gator3guy
11-05-2008, 05:35 PM
I saw him the first game of the year when they played SMU. He really caught my eye. He was taking direct snaps in the backfield ala Tim Tebow and also made some nice grabs. He looked very athletic. He's 6'4 and 245 and jacked out of his mind (guy has crazy big arms).

I haven't seen Rice play since but i have been following his season. He's second in the nation in receptions with 79 and averaging 12 yards a catch as a TE. Problem is he's a 24 year old sophomore after playing minor league baseball. He has a shot to win the Mackey award.

Age aside, His athleticism and the fact that he's probably about 6'3, I could see him in an H-Back role kind of like Cooley.

Has anyone seen more of his game? Can you break him down? Do you think he has a legit NFL opportunity?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=232606

Brent
11-05-2008, 07:01 PM
There are a lot of hidden gems on that Rice offense.

Larry121283
11-06-2008, 08:25 AM
Chris Cooley redux.

MONSTER fan of his.

Athletic. Loves to hit. Great hands. Leader. Pure football player.

Love him as a prospect.

SuperKevin
11-20-2008, 01:56 PM
Didn't make the finalists for the Mackey Award though. Guys like Branden Ledbetter of Western Michigan, Mark Hafner of Houston, and DJ Williams of Arkansas beat him for it.

Menardo75
11-20-2008, 03:33 PM
There are a lot of hidden gems on that Rice offense.

As the season has gone on it sure seems like it.

Texas Homer
12-01-2008, 01:10 AM
Big time NFL Prospect. Former baseball player. Extremely athletic. Just my opinion, but a mix between Jason Witten and Dallas Clark.

Larry121283
01-05-2009, 11:52 PM
James just declared for the draft today...as I mentioned earlier...BIG fan of his.

I'd put him no farther down than the third "TE" off the board. Reminds me of a more athletic Chris Cooley.

TACKLE
01-05-2009, 11:56 PM
A more athletic Dallas Clark.

Babylon
01-06-2009, 12:00 AM
A more athletic Dallas Clark.

S

Did he really have 113 receptions and 13 TDs?

TACKLE
01-06-2009, 12:05 AM
Here's a link.

Actually 111 receptions.

Babylon
01-06-2009, 12:10 AM
Here's a link.

Actually 111 receptions.

That's almost Jordyesque.

Texas Homer
01-06-2009, 12:18 AM
He is a BEAST. He is 1st round good.

Babylon
01-06-2009, 12:33 AM
He is a BEAST. He is 1st round good.

Dont get too carried away. Hopefully he'll get a combine invite and then we'll go from there.

giantsfan
01-06-2009, 12:42 AM
Don't really see much rice as you might suspect so for you guys who've seen him a lot do you think he'll be better than Chase Coffman, another very athletic TE who's going to be making money catching the ball instead of blocking with his hand in the dirt.

Brent
01-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Don't really see much rice as you might suspect so for you guys who've seen him a lot do you think he'll be better than Chase Coffman, another very athletic TE who's going to be making money catching the ball instead of blocking with his hand in the dirt.
They throw a lot, so his numbers are a tad inflated. Regardless, there is a lot of offensive talent on that team.

giantsfan
01-06-2009, 10:57 AM
They throw a lot, so his numbers are a tad inflated. Regardless, there is a lot of offensive talent on that team.

I'm wondering though whether Casey will jump Chase Coffman for the second best pure receiving TE behind Gresham.

SuperKevin
01-06-2009, 11:02 AM
I'm wondering though whether Casey will jump Chase Coffman for the second best pure receiving TE behind Gresham.

Skillwise I'd say there's a good shot but his age may slightly impact his stock.

Babylon
01-06-2009, 02:51 PM

It's hard to come from being totally off the radar to all of a sudden being one of the top TEs. I would say he would be lucky to get a combine invite then go from there.

SuperKevin
01-06-2009, 02:56 PM
It's hard to come from being totally off the radar to all of a sudden being one of the top TEs. I would say he would be lucky to get a combine invite then go from there.

He's not totally off the radar though. Scouts gave him a Day 1 projection. That means they thought he was at least a 2nd rounder

JLaw45
01-06-2009, 02:58 PM
I've actually seen a couple of rice games on TV this year. Casey does everything. He plays TE, takes snaps, and was actually recruited as a defensive end. I think he can pass a little bit to. On top of being a great receiver and athlete, he can probably make a pretty good special teamer as well. Whatever team gets him will get a fantastic value.

Babylon
01-06-2009, 03:16 PM
He's not totally off the radar though. Scouts gave him a Day 1 projection. That means they thought he was at least a 2nd rounder

Did that come from the advisory board?

lionsfan81
01-06-2009, 03:28 PM
this guy is great because he can play special teams as well as he develops into an NFL prospect. He will have to be used in a Dallas Clark role more than the traditional TE since hes on the smaller side. You can use him in the wildcat formation as well since he did that for Rice. All together a great prospect that whoever someone gets will be getting a stud. The mans nickname is frickin Thor, what more can you want.

Babylon
01-06-2009, 03:52 PM
this guy is great because he can play special teams as well as he develops into an NFL prospect. He will have to be used in a Dallas Clark role more than the traditional TE since hes on the smaller side. You can use him in the wildcat formation as well since he did that for Rice. All together a great prospect that whoever someone gets will be getting a stud. The mans nickname is frickin Thor, what more can you want.

If Detroit could get this guy in round 2 or 3 he would make a heck of a target for (insert QB name) and a nice compliment for Calvin Johnson.

lionsfan81
01-06-2009, 03:58 PM
If Detroit could get this guy in round 2 or 3 he would make a heck of a target for (insert QB name) and a nice compliment for Calvin Johnson.

He would. My guess is though that we don't use any picks on TEs because we have so many other holes, OT, OG, DE, DT, MLB, SLB, CB, etc. Damn you Matt Millen!

bitonti
01-06-2009, 03:58 PM
Skillwise I'd say there's a good shot but his age may slightly impact his stock.

he's a good player but his age is almost definitely gonna impact his draft stock.

24 years old turning 25 in 09 season entering the draft isn't a good thing, not in this TE crop.

CashmoneyDrew
01-06-2009, 04:00 PM
he's a good player but his age is almost definitely gonna impact his draft stock.

24 years old entering the draft isn't a good thing, not in this TE crop.

24 isn't THAT old. It wouldn't really affect where I'd draft him if I was a GM.

SuperKevin
01-06-2009, 04:01 PM
24 isn't THAT old. It wouldn't really affect where I'd draft him if I was a GM.

24 is pretty old considering he only has really a season and change of experience at the position.

Babylon
01-06-2009, 04:03 PM
He would. My guess is though that we don't use any picks on TEs because we have so many other holes, OT, OG, DE, DT, MLB, SLB, CB, etc. Damn you Matt Millen!

Good to see you guys are stacked at every position.

CashmoneyDrew
01-06-2009, 04:07 PM
24 is pretty old considering he only has really a season and change of experience at the position.

True. I just meant for a regular prospect in general though. But yeah, his lack of time and experience at TE coupled with his age is a deterrent I reckon.

SuperKevin
01-06-2009, 04:09 PM
The positional drills at the Combine will make or break his stock in my opinion.

bitonti
01-06-2009, 04:26 PM
guys like pettigrew and ingram are 23 going on 24 he's 24 going on 25 it makes a difference.

unfortunately we are getting to that time of year when the idea of potential and upside overtakes the concept of being a good football player.

and that's why every year the draft makes a ton of mistakes in terms of undrafted guys who have great careers and what it often comes down to are these "hard" numbers such as 25 is older than 24 and 4.6 is less than 4.7 etc.

because most people never heard of james casey and he's older - chances are he won't get drafted on the first day, and if he doesn't work out like a star he won't get drafted at all, and that's regardless of his production in the conference usa. sorry dude

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Jamezzz Caseyzzzz anyone?

thenewone
01-06-2009, 05:37 PM
here are two youtube links of casey playing for rice. Not much out there so it's the best i could find.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Do82SBJKMk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESygCQmpoqA&feature=related

Babylon
01-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Jamezzz Caseyzzzz anyone?

Here we go.

Solomon
01-08-2009, 12:25 PM

I remember Travis Beckum.

Brent
01-08-2009, 12:35 PM
I remember Travis Beckum.
How'd he get hurt? Broken Leg?

Solomon
01-08-2009, 01:41 PM
How'd he get hurt? Broken Leg?

Yep, broken leg. Left fibula to be precise. He should be able to make a full recovery in time for the combine.

He has very good hands, is a great route runner, can pile up yardage after the catch and is very athletic. His only real drawback was his size (his blocking would be good if had the requisite bulk) but he's listed at the same size as Casey so I'm not sure what makes Casey the better prospect (Beckum is also 2 years and 4 months younger than Casey).

I think Beckum would make a really nice H-Back option, and if he can add 15lbs a full time TE spot wouldn't even be out of the question. I wonder what scouts will say about his frame, if it's maxed his stock will take a hit, if his frame looks like it can add more bulk his stock should look better.

Texas Homer
01-09-2009, 01:00 AM
I don't think age will be a factor with this guy. He is just that good.

gator3guy
01-09-2009, 01:16 AM
I didn't really watch their bowl game because it was a blowout (damn WMU disappointed me), but I'm pretty sure James Casey was returning kicks. This guy is a freak. I think we could see Vernon Davis like numbers at the combine. Maybe not sub 4.4 but 4.5 is possible. I love his game and with the Eagles needing a TE, I would love to see him in green :D

EDIT: Maybe i shouldn't throw Vernon Davis' name in the discussion of combine numbers, because his were flat out disgusting, but I expect him to show well at the combine.

Texas Homer
01-09-2009, 01:30 AM
^^^^^Totally agree about him being a FREAK.

He had 57 carries for 6 TD's Rushing and 111 catches for over 1300 yards and 13 TD's.

ElectricEye
01-09-2009, 01:40 AM
Wow. Those videos are quite impressive.

I caught a couple of Rice games this year and I don't think I caught him at his best, but he defiantly stood out on a few plays. Really athletic guy. I'm not sure he'll run 4.5, but a low 4.6 isn't out of the question. He still has some upside as well. He'll need to be in the right scheme, but I can see him being a nice weapon for somebody. I didn't really watch him block much. Anybody know how good of a blocker he is?

gator3guy
01-09-2009, 01:47 AM

I caught a couple of Rice games this year and I don't think I caught him at his best, but he defiantly stood out on a few plays. Really athletic guy. I'm not sure he'll run 4.5, but a low 4.6 isn't out of the question. He still has some upside as well. He'll need to be in the right scheme, but I can see him being a nice weapon for somebody. I didn't really watch him block much. Anybody know how good of a blocker he is?

I might not be the right person to answer this question because I've only seen him play a few times, but i don't think he was called on to block too much. He was such a big part of their offense. He was either running, receiving, or occasionally throwing the ball. I think he'll make his career as a receiving TE not a blocking one.

As far as his age, I don't think it's such a big concern for a TE. Inexperience is more of a concern. The talent is there. Will his game translate is the question?

IceKubes
01-09-2009, 01:55 AM

I'm sure he is a willing blocker but that isn't his strong suit coming out of a spread offense. I've watched this guy multiple times in person and I'm a Rice Alum so I might be a bit biased on this one but he is going to carve out a nice career in the NFL. He was a force on third downs this season as a pass catcher and runner. I've said before that he reminds of of Owen Daniels, even down to the way they run after the catch. Similar size and athleticism, knows how to get open, Casey is actually more muscular. Daniels played QB in high-school and made the switch to TE shortly after he got to Wisconsin whereas Casey played pro baseball and defensive end before really making the switch the last two years. Great hands, he can make the catch in traffic and take a beating and hold on. He returned punts for crying out loud.

Some of you might hold it against him playing at Rice and in C-USA but if you watch him this year its pretty clear that he stands out against his competition on a pretty consistent basis. I've heard that scouts feel like he is going to run and test out well, the only question is going to be his size. I don't think hes a first rounder but I think he is a solid 2nd-3rd round guy. He is 24 but he really is polished and if it matters to anyone he is probably just as impressive off the field and in the classroom. I look forward to watching him play on Sundays.

gator3guy
01-09-2009, 02:00 AM
Owen Daniels is a pretty good comparison. Athletic, receiving TE's. Daniels has more bulk (don't get me wrong Casey is JACKED), but Casey is more fluid and athletic. He's somewhere in the Cooley/Winslow/Daniels mold. Maybe not quite that high end, but he has that potential as far as the receiving aspect goes.