PDA

View Full Version : Del Rio banished Mike Peterson

ChezPower4
11-06-2008, 01:02 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3686173

Thought this was interesting, how do you guys feel about this?

Shane P. Hallam
11-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Generally, in any workplace, there are better ways to handle this situation. Del Rio had a complaint and bringing it up was fine, but sending him home? No.

d34ng3l021
11-06-2008, 01:20 PM
Banishment huh. Didnt know they did that in the NFL.

Smokey Joe
11-06-2008, 01:26 PM
I see nothing wrong with what Del Rio did. He's the coach, not Peterson.

Vox Populi
11-06-2008, 01:29 PM
If Peterson left on his own yesterday after leaving the meeting, then I have no problem with this. If he was SENT home after the meeting and sent home again today, I think thats ********, why just let your coach rip you for doing something you thought might pump up your team, and surely getting a sack would and then celebrating would help too, at least when I played that stuff did and it seems like it does in the big show too.

ChezPower4
11-06-2008, 01:40 PM
Generally, in any workplace, there are better ways to handle this situation. Del Rio had a complaint and bringing it up was fine, but sending him home? No.

I agree I don't understand what Del Rio is trying to prove by sending one of the team captains. I can't see Peterson missing more than one game. Peterson is just doing what most people would have done if their boss was calling them out.

awfullyquiet
11-06-2008, 02:19 PM
Good for Del Rio.

If your player cannot follow directions and is insubordinate to it... that's the players fault, and he should subsequently take the responsibility.

The player could have talked in private with the coach after the session, and dealt with it there. But no. Peterson has to make a stink even after other guys were getting ripped on. No. You don't see other people standing up.

Menardo75
11-06-2008, 02:35 PM
I understand Peterson being upset about the whole thing. You also do have to respect the coaches rules. Probably could have waited and talked to Del Rio about it later. I don't think banishing him from the team is the right move. It seems like Peterson is one of the biggest leaders on that team. If he is then what is this saying to the team?

Babylon
11-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Should make it pretty clear they will need to address that position in the draft. Adjust your mocks accordingly.

yourfavestoner
11-06-2008, 03:02 PM
I love Mike Pete, but he's ******* sucked it up this year. And, while sucking, he's been mouthing off about his role in the new scheme and his contract situation.

Sucks that his tenure in Jacksonville is ending like this, but oh well. At least this allows Daryl Smith to start at MLB.

T-RICH49
11-06-2008, 03:50 PM
hello future replacement for Pat Thomas :)

Geo
11-06-2008, 03:57 PM
Should make it pretty clear they will need to address that position in the draft. Adjust your mocks accordingly.
The future could already on the roster in very talented, young linebacker Justin Durant. I believe he started at MLB in '07 when Peterson when injured, and he can definitely play. Although maybe the Jags want to keep Durant on the outside in the years to come.

But certainly the Jags could address depth sometime in the Draft, another '09 starter in Clint Ingram will be in a contract year.

ChezPower4
11-06-2008, 04:33 PM
The future could already on the roster in very talented, young linebacker Justin Durant. I believe he started at MLB in '07 when Peterson when injured, and he can definitely play. Although maybe the Jags want to keep Durant on the outside in the years to come.

But certainly the Jags could address depth sometime in the Draft, another '09 starter in Clint Ingram will be in a contract year.

Not a bad year to address LB in the draft givin this years class is pretty good.

BlindSite
11-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Del Rio should've been the bigger man and just said "see me after" and moved to his next point. If you keep a meeting like that flowing you have no problems, but now the players who need to get their act together won't be thinking about that, just the fight.

The Unseen
11-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Del Rio should've been the bigger man and just said "see me after" and moved to his next point. If you keep a meeting like that flowing you have no problems, but now the players who need to get their act together won't be thinking about that, just the fight.

Perhaps Del Rio's "seen him after" before and Mike's talking persisted? We don't know.

diabsoule
11-06-2008, 07:38 PM
There are better ways to handle something like that. Very poor decision and management by Del Rio.

aNYtitan
11-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Could have definitely been better handled but we only know half the story and don't have all the facts that lead to banishment. "Insubordination" doesn't say much, such as what did he do and who was he causing problems to.