PDA

View Full Version : Player's most integral to team's success?

Dirk360
11-07-2008, 12:25 PM
since we see how the cowboys did without romo, i was wondering what other players are integral to their teams success?

Notredameleo
11-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Is we didn't have Calvin on the Lions, we wouldn't win a game all year....oh wait

BeerBaron
11-07-2008, 12:29 PM
Are you asking for just players in general or ones from each of our teams?

Pretty much any franchise QB is integral to his team's success. The Pats certainly aren't the same Pats without Brady, and I'm sure the same thing would happen to the Colts, Saints, Chargers, Giants or Eagles without Peyton, Brees, Rivers, Eli and McNabb respectively.

As for my team, I'm not sure the Bears really have one right now. No one player is really carrying them anymore. We're going to see how they do without Orton for probably this week at least, but if you look at the defense, Urlacher isn't the same Urlacher, Briggs isn't the same Briggs, Tommie Harris isn't the same Tommie Harris......hell, looking at last weeks game, our top defender might be all purpose d-lineman Israel Idonije.

TimD
11-07-2008, 12:30 PM
Kris Jenkins to the Jets.

d34ng3l021
11-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Michael Turner or Matt Ryan. I am not sure which one means more. I'll go with Michael Turner because he opens up the pass.

A Perfect Score
11-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Without Ray Lewis, the Baltimore Ravens would be nothing...he literally is the heart and soul of the entire team.

Jughead10
11-07-2008, 12:58 PM
since we see how the cowboys did without romo, i was wondering what other players are integral to their teams success?

Cowboys are definitely not the same without Romo but I still think they lose some of those games with him.

Shane P. Hallam
11-07-2008, 01:08 PM
The Steelers are very tough. We saw without Willie and Ben they were fine. Casey Hampton has been integral, but Hoke always plays well. I'd probably say Polamalu. When he is out it does hurt our secondary a lot.

diabsoule
11-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Drew Brees is absolutely the most integral part of the Saints.

gsorace
11-07-2008, 01:11 PM

What he said.

throwback54milkman
11-07-2008, 01:13 PM
What he said.

ditto and Leon Washington has won us a game or too also

Sniper
11-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Players, not player's. Makes me want to stab someone.

Brian Westbrook to the Eagles.

bantx
11-07-2008, 01:18 PM
this year for the chargers, without merriman we are looking horrible. :[

bored of education
11-07-2008, 01:23 PM

you need too relax dude. i think you get off too corecting someone's spelling errors. if i was getting graded for ecvery post by my 4th grade teacher on syntax and grammar. you wanting to stab someone makes me think your boyfriend is in serious danger if he yells O-M-G rather and oh my god period/explanation point.

relax man

you come off as a prick and not only do you think our opinion's or information is tainted by seppling errors but everything you type after correcting someone is moot. stop it. for you're own sake

kthanx

im helping YOU out bro

Mr. Stiller
11-07-2008, 01:24 PM
The Steelers are very tough. We saw without Willie and Ben they were fine. Casey Hampton has been integral, but Hoke always plays well. I'd probably say Polamalu. When he is out it does hurt our secondary a lot.

I'd argue Aaron Smith is the single most important player on our team.

ccB
11-07-2008, 01:30 PM

Why do you have to be a grammar nazi in every ******* thread I read? It's far more annoying watching you on your high horse correcting sentences than it is seeing people "Who type lk dis" If apostrophes and commas really make you want to stab someone you need to get out more, the internet should never affect someone to that degree. We get your point, you've made it past English 101, give it a ******* break.

ccB
11-07-2008, 01:31 PM
you need too relax dude. i think you get off too corecting someone's spelling errors. if i was getting graded for ecvery post by my 4th grade teacher on syntax and grammar. you wanting to stab someone makes me think your boyfriend is in serious danger if he yells O-M-G rather and oh my god period/explanation point.

relax man

you come off as a prick and not only do you think our opinion's or information is tainted by seppling errors but everything you type after correcting someone is moot. stop it. for you're own sake

kthanx

im helping YOU out bro
I wish I would of read this before I just posted, sums up how I feel perfectly.

bored of education
11-07-2008, 01:33 PM
I wish I would of read this before I just posted, sums up how I feel perfectly.

exactly man. its more annoying that a fran drescher's laugh

ChezPower4
11-07-2008, 01:34 PM
Aaron Rodgers, if he went down i don't think we'd beable to score points with
Flynn or Brohm at QB. No Rogers=No wins for the Packers

Mr. Stiller
11-07-2008, 01:35 PM

And the Matt Jones comeback of the year award goes to....

Ravens1991
11-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Ray Lewis for the Ravens, he single handedly gave the team a identity.

bored of education
11-07-2008, 01:37 PM
And the Matt Jones comeback of the year award goes to....

That was not a complete sentence.

CashmoneyDrew
11-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Albert Haynesworth.

ccB
11-07-2008, 01:38 PM
That was not a complete sentence.

You should never start a sentence with "and"

MetSox17
11-07-2008, 01:39 PM
Cowboys are definitely not the same without Romo but I still think they lose some of those games with him.

Which games in particular?

Sniper
11-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Why do you have to be a grammar nazi in every ******* thread I read? It's far more annoying watching you on your high horse correcting sentences than it is seeing people "Who type lk dis" If apostrophes and commas really make you want to stab someone you need to get out more, the internet should never affect someone to that degree. We get your point, you've made it past English 101, give it a ******* break.

Then learn to ******* use the English language properly! Jesus Christ, it's really not that ******* hard.

Sniper
11-07-2008, 01:46 PM

relax man

kthanx

im helping YOU out bro

Again, sorry for expecting a grammatical understanding of a fourth grader on a message board most frequently populated by members between the ages of 16 and 30, on average. My bad.

bantx
11-07-2008, 01:51 PM
This is a message board, and your not a 4th grade teacher grading papers so relax, i've never met someone who would get mad because of a grammatical error.

ccB
11-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Then learn to ******* use the English language properly! Jesus Christ, it's really not that ******* hard.

Maybe you should stop posting here then? I mean didn't you already "retire" anyway?

awfullyquiet
11-07-2008, 02:03 PM
You should never start a sentence with "and"

Finding Forrester says otherwise...

ccB
11-07-2008, 02:06 PM

I am a science major, I was just pretending that I knew something about grammar for a minute.

vidae
11-07-2008, 02:08 PM

Forrester: Paragraph three starts...with a conjunction, "and." You should never start a sentence with a conjunction.

Jamal: Sure you can.

Forrester: No, it's a firm rule.

Jamal: No, it was a firm rule. Sometimes using a conjunction at the start of a sentence makes it stand out. And that may be what the writer's trying to do.

Forrester: And what is the risk?

Jamal: Doing it too much. It's a distraction. And it could give your piece a run-on feeling. But for the most part, the rule on using "and" or "but" at the start of a sentence is pretty shaky. Even though it's still taught by too many professors. Some of the best writers have ignored that rule for years, including you.

(I like this movie a lot.)

Gay Ork Wang
11-07-2008, 02:10 PM
dude, THE INTRENETZ'S'S''S'S ISS' S'E'RIOUS BUIZNESS'!

Mr. Stiller
11-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Forrester: Paragraph three starts...with a conjunction, "and." You should never start a sentence with a conjunction.

Jamal: Sure you can.

Forrester: No, it's a firm rule.

Jamal: No, it was a firm rule. Sometimes using a conjunction at the start of a sentence makes it stand out. And that may be what the writer's trying to do.

Forrester: And what is the risk?

Jamal: Doing it too much. It's a distraction. And it could give your piece a run-on feeling. But for the most part, the rule on using "and" or "but" at the start of a sentence is pretty shaky. Even though it's still taught by too many professors. Some of the best writers have ignored that rule for years, including you.

(I like this movie a lot.)

+Rep, that is exactly the scene I thought of when I posted that.

I love that movie.

The plot of the story even overcame the fact that Busta Rhymes was cast.

tjsunstein
11-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Football is a team sport, as the Titans have demostrated. Saying one guys is vital to the team's success more than the next is an insult to the rest of the team. Surrounding cast means alot. Without your teammates, each player is essentially nothing.

Gay Ork Wang
11-07-2008, 02:19 PM
Football is a team sport, as the Titans have demostrated. Saying one guys is vital to the team's success more than the next is an insult to the rest of the team. Surrounding cast means alot. Without your teammates, each player is essentially nothing.
sounds good on paper

tjsunstein
11-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Again, sorry for expecting a grammatical understanding of a fourth grader on an message board most frequently populated by members between the ages of 16 and 30, on average. My bad.

A pronoun followed by an adjective with no noun agreement? Tisk Tisk. Stop being a stickler. As long as you can comprehend the point being made why does it matter if they spell 'weird', 'wierd'?

awfullyquiet
11-07-2008, 02:27 PM
A pronoun followed by an adjective with no noun agreement? Tisk Tisk. Stop being a stickler. As long as you can comprehend the point being made why does it matter if they spell 'weird', 'wierd'?

i before e except after c.

tjsunstein
11-07-2008, 02:30 PM
i before e except after c.

Lol... http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/weird

awfullyquiet
11-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Lol... http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/weird

or when sounding like "a"
as in neighbor or weigh

Gay Ork Wang
11-07-2008, 02:32 PM
Again, sorry for expecting a grammatical understanding of a fourth grader on an message board most frequently populated by members between the ages of 16 and 30, on average. My bad.
i ask you: what does it matter? at all?

awfullyquiet
11-07-2008, 02:34 PM

Also. Not everyone is a native english speaker?

tjsunstein
11-07-2008, 02:37 PM
or when sounding like "a"
as in neighbor or weigh

Touche. I'm not sure if that's the right spelling so I'll sound it out if you dont know what I;m trying to say. (two-shay)

Go_Eagles77
11-07-2008, 02:37 PM
To answer the initial question of the thread, Brian Westbrook and Donovan McNabb for the eagles.

tjsunstein
11-07-2008, 02:48 PM
To answer the initial question of the thread, Brian Westbrook and Donovan McNabb for the eagles.

What about Runyan or Andrews?

Go_Eagles77
11-07-2008, 03:01 PM

We haven't had Andrews for most of the season and Max Jean-Gilles has filled in just fine. As for Runyan, Winston Justice is a pretty serviceable backup at RT.

yourfavestoner
11-07-2008, 03:19 PM

I'd say it's Aaron Smith. That defense absolutely fell apart last year after he went down.

For the Jags, it's Vince Manuwai, and it's really not that close.

terribletowel39
11-07-2008, 04:10 PM
I'd say it's Aaron Smith. That defense absolutely fell apart last year after he went down.

For the Jags, it's Vince Manuwai, and it's really not that close.
I agree with you and Stiller. It is Aaron Smith. When he isn't in the game the run D just is not the same.

Maddenhero
11-07-2008, 05:52 PM
Bob Sanders - Colts
Adrian Peterson - Vikings
LT - Chargers
Clinton Portis - Redskins
Jay Cutler - Broncos

ChezPower4
11-07-2008, 05:59 PM
Bob Sanders - Colts
LT - Chargers
Jay Cutler - Broncos

The Chargers have LT back and their still not playing well. Rivers is much more important to the teams success. Up untill this year I would have agreed with you.

Bruce Banner
11-07-2008, 06:05 PM
Can there be one thread without "MICHIGAN PLAYER!" or "you suck at spelling"?

For the Bucs....hmm...difficult to choose just one because the Bucs defense thrives when everyone plays their little part. (Noticed how I skipped the offense?)

Derrick Brooks. Can't measure leadership.

Gay Ork Wang
11-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Bob Sanders - Colts
LT - Chargers
Jay Cutler - Broncos
Peyton Manning >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Sanders

btw: Those Michigan jokes arent even funny.

CC.SD
11-07-2008, 06:56 PM
The Chargers have LT back and their still not playing well. Rivers is much more important to the teams success. Up untill this year I would have agreed with you.

That's true...kinda. On one hand, what Rivers has done (leading the league in passer rating, touchdowns, and mad bomber mentality) with no running game and overrated protection is impressive.

On the other hand, look at our defense this year. The Charger defensive players basically mope around for 6+ minutes and then trudge off the field when other teams finally score a touchdown. They are supposedly a stacked, talented unit. Well without Shawne Merriman they are garbage.

All you have to do is look at the Charger D stats for 05, 06, and 07 and then at how miserable they are this year to understand Merriman's impact.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Redskins-Clinton Portis
Ravens-Ray Lewis

Gay Ork Wang
11-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Bears: matt forte

tjsunstein
11-07-2008, 07:48 PM
Packers: Aaron Rodgers, if i had to pick one.

JonasBlane
11-07-2008, 08:14 PM
Steelers would be a toss up between either Aaron Smith or Big Ben.

vidae
11-07-2008, 08:30 PM
I'd probably pick Tony Gonzalez for us. He's been a rock for 10+ years at his position and always comes prepared.

Crickett
11-07-2008, 08:51 PM
ditto and Leon Washington has won us a game or too also

Don't forget Darelle Revis' three game ending endzone Int's. But yeah, Kris Jenkins was the best trade the Jets have had as long as I can remember.

ChezPower4
11-07-2008, 09:14 PM
Steelers would be a toss up between either Aaron Smith or Big Ben.

Hampton seems to be a pretty imporant player for your team. When he's out the defense just isn't the same. Best NT in the game IMO.

Turtlepower
11-07-2008, 09:22 PM
Giants - Steve Spagnuola

11-07-2008, 09:50 PM
It's safe to say the Raiders would be winless right now without Aso.

terribletowel39
11-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Hampton seems to be a pretty imporant player for your team. When he's out the defense just isn't the same. Best NT in the game IMO.

Hampton is a special player and I think he is the best NT in the game but when he is out we don't really lose that much as Chris Hoke has always filled in very nicely. Hoke was our NT for the entire year we went 15-1. Aaron Smith is undoubtedly the anchor on our defense.

Last year he was out the last two games. The whole year with him we averaged 71 yards per game on the ground. The last two games we allowed an average of 130+. He is a difference maker.

MetSox17
11-07-2008, 10:58 PM
Can there be one thread without "MICHIGAN PLAYER!" or "you suck at spelling"?

No. Ten characters.

holt_bruce81
11-08-2008, 12:45 AM
If the Rams didn't have Steven Jackson, it would be hard for them to win 2 games in a season.

Modano
11-08-2008, 03:54 AM
Tony Romo for the Cowboys. Cowboys offense with Romo = top 5, Cowboys offense without Romo = bottom 5.

DHVF
11-08-2008, 03:57 AM
Vikings: Well its pretty much a tossup between a few players, but if I were to single one out it'd prolly be John David Booty.

Gay Ork Wang
11-08-2008, 05:17 AM
i was wondering: is the Williams wall more important to the Vikings than AP? I mean if u dont have a the Williams, the Vikings defense is gonna lack a lot. They couldnt stop the run and the pass. If AP is out, ud still have Chester Taylor who is still at least above average or average

wicket
11-08-2008, 06:06 AM
well drew brees is the really really easy choice. I honoustly think he'll lead the league in team importance. If I have to pick another saints player I'll say Vilma, he really made a big difference for our defense.

Matthew Jones
11-08-2008, 06:06 AM
It would be Tom Brady on the Patriots, he makes the offense. As for a player on the team right now, I would maybe say Vince Wilfork.

Addict
11-08-2008, 07:00 AM
I'm a lions fan, so I beg the question: what success?

But either way I think our MVP so far is Calvin by a landslide.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
11-08-2008, 08:40 AM
Drew Brees is absolutely the most integral part of the Saints.

Definitely, and Cutler is in the same situation. No defense, no running game=if star QB goes down, it's allllllll over.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
11-08-2008, 08:50 AM

I do think football is the ultimate team sport, as you're not gonna see a LeBron James who is on arguably the east's 2nd best team, but without him, possibly the worst team. Or a Martin Brodeur, who has consistently had our boys at the top of the conference, but is out now so we are in for a rough, rough ride. But I think there are times when a player going down would destroy a team. It probably wouldn't take a top team to the bottom, but it can take an average team(Broncos, Saints) to the bottom, or a top team(Chargers) to the middle of the pack(Merriman). As for the Titans, we really saw them struggle mightily when Haynesworth went down last year, and I'd expect the same thing to happen again(although not to quite the same degree).

Caddy
11-08-2008, 08:54 AM
Jeff Garcia.

Brian Griese = Teh Suck!

Aftermath
11-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Carson Palmer

Mr.Regular
11-08-2008, 12:50 PM
For the Pack it's Aaron Rodgers and it's not even close.

PS, who cares about spelling and grammar? Its an internet message board! If its so brutal its impossible to read then sure, but an apostrophe? Thats laughable.

tjsunstein
11-08-2008, 01:41 PM
For the Pack it's Aaron Rodgers and it's not even close.

P.S. Who cares about spelling and grammar? It's an internet message board! If it's so brutal and impossible to read, then sure, but an apostrophe? That's laughable.

Fixed it for you. lol I'm kidding.

skinzzfan25
11-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Redskins-Clinton Portis
Ravens-Ray Lewis

We made it through 06 without Portis.

I would probably have to say Chris Samuels or London Fletcher.

scottyboy
11-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Giants- Shaun O'Hara. leader of our OL, knows everything going on. and he went to Rutgers. Yea, I guess Ruegamer would fill in ok. If Eli went down we have Carr! he's awesome! #1 overal pick potential!!!!

but srsly, games are won in the trenches, O'Hara is our leader on the OL

Menardo75
11-08-2008, 02:20 PM
For sure Frank Gore. Offense is dead when he is not playing well, or playing at all

TitleTown088
11-08-2008, 04:43 PM

relax man

kthanx

im helping YOU out bro

I concur 100%.

As for the player.. Easy. Jordy Nelson. You're all sooo jealous the Packers got him.

fenikz
11-08-2008, 04:47 PM
for the Cardinals, Kurt Warner and Adrian Wilson

draftguru151
11-08-2008, 04:57 PM

An? Really?

bored of education
11-08-2008, 05:01 PM
An? Really?

LOLZERZ OWNAGEZ!~!!@@!!~~~~!!~@

eaglesalltheway
11-09-2008, 09:13 AM

That was my first thought, but once I thought about it more, it really was Donovan. We have seen how different the team is with and without Donovan. We have also seen it with and without Westbrook. The difference is our offense can get by with our backups at RB, the same cannot be said at QB. The difference is two main reasons:

1. The position. There is no doubt that the QB is the most important position on the field, and once your QB is gone, it undoubtedly takes something out of the offense. RB however, despite Westbrook's talent is easier to replace than QB. Both are among the better players at their respective positions, and both are among the "elite" But losing an elite QB will deliver a bigger blow the the team than losing an elite RB, at least in the Eagles situation right now anyway.

2. The replacements. Buckhalter has shown that he can be relied on when Westbrook is unable to play. He can do some similar things, though he does it with different style. Kolb, though he has looked very promising, is still really unproven. It really is just a matter of you are losing more going from your #1 QB to your #2 QB, than what you lose going from your #1 RB to your #2 RB.

eaglesalltheway
11-09-2008, 09:23 AM

It is a case for Andrews of the backup being very, very good, so the overall loss isn't as bad. MJG has shown he will be a future starter once a spot opens up for him. As for Runyan, there are a ton of players who could potentially fill in for him, so once again, it is also a case of net loss not being too bad. It is hard to dismiss hte fact that Runyan is almost a lock to be there every game for us though...

awfullyquiet
11-09-2008, 11:15 AM
An? Really?

dg. ftw.

god that's weird saying that. i bet words like that have never been spoken.

UK_Cheesehead
11-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Would easily be Rodgers, I dread to think of our chances if we had to put Brohm or Flynn in there. Maybe we would just put Jordyzzz under center.

nrk
11-09-2008, 12:02 PM
We made it through 06 without Portis.

I would probably have to say Chris Samuels or London Fletcher.

You made it through with 5 wins.

djp
11-09-2008, 01:53 PM
i will go with Adrian Peterson in a shocker.

Gay Ork Wang
11-09-2008, 04:38 PM
i was wondering: is the Williams wall more important to the Vikings than AP? I mean if u dont have a the Williams, the Vikings defense is gonna lack a lot. They couldnt stop the run and the pass. If AP is out, ud still have Chester Taylor who is still at least above average or average
Thoughts??

11-09-2008, 04:41 PM
Thoughts??

No AD no offense. I'm not sure the same could be said about the Williams wall on the other side of the ball, imo.

SenorGato
11-09-2008, 04:56 PM

^^^ This one.

P-L
11-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Dan Orlovsky.

When Jon Kitna or Daunte Culpepper start a game, we lose by an average of 21 points per game. When Dan Orlovsky starts the game, we only lose by an average of 5.3 points per game.

bored of education
11-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Dan Orlovsky.

When Jon Kitna or Daunte Culpepper start a game, we lose by an average of 21 points per game. When Dan Orlovsky starts the game, we only lose by an average of 5.3 points per game.

At least you got that going for you..which is nice!

Smokey Joe
11-09-2008, 07:22 PM
Kyle Orton...

Vox Populi
11-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Unfortunately for the Bills it has to be the quarterback. When Edwards is on, we win, when hes off, we lose. See weeks 1-4 for good Edwards. See weeks 5-10 for bad Edwards.

Don Vito
11-09-2008, 07:34 PM
It is Brady for the Patriots without question. Any one of our 3 starting DL would be the next behind him.

throwback54milkman
11-09-2008, 07:48 PM
It is Brady for the Patriots without question. Any one of our 3 starting DL would be the next behind him.

wow brady? who woulda thought

Paranoidmoonduck
11-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Dan Orlovsky.

Stats don't lie! Orvlosky HOF 2009!

TitanHope
11-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Offense: Chris Johnson

- Dude helps the offense even when he's averaging less than 1 YPC. If a team doesn't load up the box, they'll get burned eventually. If a team does load up the box, Collins will take advantage.

Defense: Cortland Finnegan/Kyle Vanden Bosch

- Haynesworth would be the popular pick, but Finny and KVB provide the energy that make the defense go from good to great. KVB's motor never, ever stops, and the other DL feed off of that. Finny's tenacity and physicality causes the other DB's to play with confidence and a swagger.

JETS5128
11-09-2008, 11:20 PM
As previously mentioned Kris Jenkins.

But for the O it's definetly TJ.

SenorGato
11-09-2008, 11:33 PM
As previously mentioned Kris Jenkins.

But for the O it's definetly TJ.

OL or Favre FTW.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Defense: Cortland Finnegan/Kyle Vanden Bosch

- Haynesworth would be the popular pick, but Finny and KVB provide the energy that make the defense go from good to great. KVB's motor never, ever stops, and the other DL feed off of that. Finny's tenacity and physicality causes the other DB's to play with confidence and a swagger.

I know that both Vanden Bosch and Finnegan deserve props for having tremendous seasons, but there's no doubt that entire defense flows through Haynesworth. He forces teams to focus on blocking him, which weakens blocks on the edge for Vanden Bosch, who helps brings the pass rush that forces bad throws to Cortland Finnegan. I certianly don't want to take away from the other two, but I would support Albert Haynesworth as an MVP candidate considering his impact on that defense.

gsorace
11-10-2008, 01:35 PM
OL or Favre FTW.

Farve? Really?

I'd say Tony Richardson before Farve