PDA

View Full Version : We have a new Redskin-Deangelo Hall

AntoinCD
11-07-2008, 02:37 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3688600

Not a bad move if you ask me

TitleTown088
11-07-2008, 02:38 PM
The new redskin who has already has a thread about him?

tjsunstein
11-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Everyone thought he'd go to a different NFC East team. Not a bad move by the skins at all.

AntoinCD
11-07-2008, 02:40 PM
The new redskin who has already has a thread about him?

Well it was about the Raiders cutting him but I didn't see that so apologies

Thigamahjigee
11-07-2008, 02:41 PM
Great move. Hall should thrive there. Press the guy, and play man. Exactly what he needs. I'm just unsure of his hand injury in a place where he's going to have to press. I think it's been a bigger issue this year then people are giving credit to.

TitleTown088
11-07-2008, 02:42 PM
Well it was about the Raiders cutting him but I didn't see that so apologies

Meh, I prob shouldn't have jumped all over you like a prick, but just pointing out he has his own thread. Perhaps this can be his Redskin thread. No biggie

AntoinCD
11-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Meh, I prob shouldn't have jumped all over you like a prick, but just pointing out he has his own thread. Perhaps this can be his Redskin thread. No biggie

No sweat if I hadn't been lazy and hadn't jumped at the chance to start a thread it would've been all hypothetical anyway

Mr. Stiller
11-07-2008, 02:49 PM
I don't get it.

The passrush is the problem in Washington.

Was has Rogers, Horton and Landry playing Pro-bowl quality ball. Smoot is probably in the upper echelon of Nickel backs and yes, Springs is old but he was also playing lights out.

I disagree with this based on the premise that He spent money in the wrong place.

ChezPower4
11-07-2008, 02:55 PM
good move, if he plays well with the skins does anyone think that they may offer him a long term deal?

AntoinCD
11-07-2008, 03:00 PM
good move, if he plays well with the skins does anyone think that they may offer him a long term deal?

It will have to be a lot less than what Oakland were paying him but I think there's a good chance.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-07-2008, 03:02 PM
I don't get it.

Was has Rogers, Horton and Landry playing Pro-bowl quality ball. Smoot is probably in the upper echelon of Nickel backs and yes, Springs is old but he was also playing lights out.

I disagree with this based on the premise that He spent money in the wrong place.

Springs was playing lights out but hasn't played in forever. This move is like picking up extra depth and it just happens to be a former pro bowler. No harm if he sucks. If he turns out well, extra steal. You can never have enough DB's. And I don't see any pass rushers floating around.

DiG
11-07-2008, 03:04 PM
I don't get it.

springs has been hurt half the year and theres zero depth after smoot. we got him for 500k this year how is that bad?

Mr. Stiller
11-07-2008, 03:05 PM

Depends.

If Hall keeps his head on and plays like the Redskins thinking.. He might price himself out of their range (Again because of their considerable talent in the secondary).

If he doesn't play well I can't see them keeping him.

From just getting an opportunity this last weekend like I said, their S's/Rogers (and Springs before injury) are playing pro-bowl level.

Fletcher is amazing and I am a huge Rocky McIntosh fan.

I'm guessing C/DE/SLB should be their list of offseason fixes.

If Hall earns his pre-Oakland paycheck.. I would suggest that Washington use that money to try and lure Julius Peppers away from Carolina..

With the secondary they have... Grab Alex Mack, a LB in round 2, and a Corner in 3 or 4.

I don't know all their needs I'm just going off what I saw against pittsburgh

Mr. Stiller
11-07-2008, 03:06 PM
springs has been hurt half the year and theres zero depth after smoot. we got him for 500k this year how is that bad?

500k isn't bad at all I would have no issue with him for that.

I just don't think the secondary is the issue with the Skins.

and I was more talking about after this year as well.

d34ng3l021
11-07-2008, 03:06 PM
I have 2 jerseys of players who play for the Redskins. DeAngelo Hall (falcon) and LaRon Landry.

How many current Falcon players? 0. Damn I need a Ryan jersey.

Good pick up for the Redskins. I dont know much about their scheme, but lack of a pass rush might hurt Hall a lot more.

DiG
11-07-2008, 03:20 PM
I have 2 jerseys of players who play for the Redskins. DeAngelo Hall (falcon) and LaRon Landry.

How many current Falcon players? 0. Damn I need a Ryan jersey.

Good pick up for the Redskins. I dont know much about their scheme, but lack of a pass rush might hurt Hall a lot more.

get a roddy white! roddy is the shiznit!! and with your track record maybe hell be a skin someday.

d34ng3l021
11-07-2008, 03:26 PM
get a roddy white! roddy is the shiznit!! and with your track record maybe hell be a skin someday.

Hell no. I am going to get the jersey of the franchise QB that we possibly cannot let go. lol

captainjack27
11-07-2008, 03:33 PM
for the price....this was a great move for the skins

skinzzfan25
11-07-2008, 03:46 PM
With Landry playing deep safety and his monster range, Hall should have a lot more room to play press coverage and take some chances.

And I doubt he tries any stupid **** in London Fletcher's locker room. That's just asking for trouble.

locseti
11-07-2008, 03:56 PM
"In his eight games in Oakland, Hall was beaten 40 times for 552 yards on 66 passes thrown his way, according to data compiled by STATS. He gave up more yards than any defender this season and was tied for third worst in catches allowed."

skinzzfan25
11-07-2008, 04:00 PM
And he has more interceptions than all of the Skins CBs combined ;)

And more importantly, he didn't go do Dallas who could use him much more than the Redskins.

ChezPower4
11-07-2008, 04:04 PM
It will have to be a lot less than what Oakland were paying him but I think there's a good chance.

I don't think it matters how he plays the rest of this year, Hall is not going to get the kind of deal he got in Oakland from any team. He was givin elite player type money and IMO Hall is not an elite corner.

tjsunstein
11-07-2008, 04:13 PM
It can't hurt for the price.

Matthew Jones
11-07-2008, 04:18 PM
As a resident of D.C., I'm excited. Hopefully I can see him live this year.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
11-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Low risk...High reward type of move....This moves Leigh Torrence down the depth chart (thank goodness) and it also means Tryon probably wont see the field this year (another blessing)....W/ Springs hurt 9 games a year...and Smoot playin banged up...this move was genius...Especially for 500k...which I didnt know about...Cause we lacked depth on both islands....We got a bye week...So he can learn the scheme...Which is also another plus....WE WANT DALLAS....WE WANT DALLAS

ChezPower4
11-07-2008, 04:38 PM
It can't hurt for the price.

I would've loved to have Hall on the Packers for that price, even if he just played nickel.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-07-2008, 06:47 PM
I think what we are overlooking is his biggest value may come as a punt returner. Punt returns is one of our biggest weaknesses. Antwaan Randle El the past 3 years has consistently been the worst punt returner in the NFL. I am happy as long as he isn't going backwards. Honestly a 5 yard return is good for his standards. I even preferred James Thrash to him because I'd take a decisive 7 yards running straight, than Randle El circling back 10 yards and getting tackled. Santana has been dynamite in situational returns but we can't put him there because he is our WR corps. Hopefully Hall can provide a spark. CB is one of our draft needs so we will say how Hall plays out into our future plans.

Cliche Guevara
11-07-2008, 10:22 PM
i wish the boys would have picked him up we need secondary help badly

11-07-2008, 10:27 PM

no need you have the matador ( see mike jenkins ) .

vidae
11-07-2008, 10:35 PM
No one goes to Oakland and flourishes. Oakland is where players go to die.

Good pickup by the Redskins.

Paranoidmoonduck
11-07-2008, 11:06 PM
I think what we are overlooking is his biggest value may come as a punt returner.

The guy has returned 13 punts in his entire career and has only tended to do so in extreme situations (injuries). I wouldn't rely on him as a punt returner.

GB12
11-07-2008, 11:16 PM
I would've loved to have Hall on the Packers for that price, even if he just played nickel.
I completely disagree.

MetSox17
11-07-2008, 11:17 PM
The guy has returned 13 punts in his entire career and has only tended to do so in extreme situations (injuries). I wouldn't rely on him as a punt returner.

The only reason he never really returned punts was because he was his team's best player (In Atlanta), and one of the more expensive ones (Oakland). You don't trot out your best cover corner to risk getting destroyed by guys running full speed down hill.

He's gonna be the fourth corner, maybe eventually the third, in Washington, so i doubt they'll care about him risking injury out there. I'm with STRIP here in saying that he'll have a good impact as a returner as well.

diabsoule
11-07-2008, 11:21 PM
I'm mad the Saints didn't sign him. Another sign of a franchise who never knows when to move when all the signs say "GO!"

MetSox17
11-07-2008, 11:23 PM
I'm mad the Saints didn't sign him. Another sign of a franchise who never knows when to move when all the signs say "GO!"

Yeah, with the problems they have at CB, anyone with anything resembling talent should be getting gobbled up by the Saints. Redskins are paying chump change for a guy that just might start caring again and play to his potential.

tjsunstein
11-08-2008, 12:20 AM

I completely disagree.

It wouldnt have affected my take on the team any more or any less. We showed our CB depth was serviceable for this year. If we went out and got him then I wouldn't have crowned ourselves division champs is all I'm saying. Williams is cheaper and knows the scheme and with a one year deal for Hall he sure is going to demand more next year. Maybe it would have been good say Harris or Woodson hung up the cleats but I can't see them considering for 2-3 more years atleast. If the Packers made the move I would've just been 'meh', that's the only way I can describe it.

Number 10
11-08-2008, 01:01 AM
I was hoping he would go to Dallas or Washington.

Bring it.

jsagan77
11-08-2008, 08:18 AM
I think you guys are missing why he was brought in..

First, he returns punts and we are in dire need of one a PR.. Secondly, Springs cap number is up there and oft injured so if Hall pans out I could see them cutting ties with Springs giving us a very good young secondary.... Hall, Rogers, Landry and Horton will be great for a long time if Hall can come back to fruition...

I'm starting to think that this is going to be like a Charles Woodson and Randy Moss type of thing. Elite talent, drops off at Raiders and then tears it up with a contender...

Addict
11-08-2008, 08:21 AM
I think you guys are missing why he was brought in..

First, he returns punts and we are in dire need of one a PR.. Secondly, Springs cap number is up there and oft injured so if Hall pans out I could see them cutting ties with Springs giving us a very good young secondary.... Hall, Rogers, Landry and Horton will be great for a long time if Hall can come back to fruition...

I'm starting to think that this is going to be like a Charles Woodson and Randy Moss type of thing. Elite talent, drops off at Raiders and then tears it up with a contender...

if Hall gets going properly in Washington, the Raiders need to get really worried. That's a very very disturbing pattern.

Gay Ork Wang
11-08-2008, 08:55 AM
u mean in Washington?

Addict
11-08-2008, 09:27 AM
u mean in Washington?

yeah... I don't know what I was thinking.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-08-2008, 10:21 AM

He was a dynamic punt returner in college. Like Pacman with the Cowboys his first way to earn more respect and minutes at DB would be to make an impact on special teams.

21ST
11-08-2008, 11:02 AM

you didnt watch him much in college did you

Gay Ork Wang
11-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Dude he has a 99 KR on Madden!

21ST
11-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Dude he has a 99 KR on Madden!

oh **** nothin more to be said

MetSox17
11-08-2008, 11:44 AM
The way i was pissed on how Randy Moss was traded for a 4th rounder last year, i'm gonna be even more upset if Hall starts playing at a top level again. The Raiders are such a joke.

Xonraider
11-08-2008, 11:50 AM

What makes you think he'd help it?

LonghornsLegend
11-08-2008, 11:56 AM
per roto.....

ProFootballTalk cites a Keith Brooking radio interview on 680 The Fan in Atlanta that claims DeAngelo Hall tried to provoke a fight with a Falcon at halftime of last week's game in Oakland.
Brooking said that Hall was waiting in the tunnel to pick a fight, at which point the Falcon linebacker considered himself lucky to be removed "from all that mess." That "mess" would be Hall and his poisonous attitude, which apparently has a long way to go. There's been no indication that the incident led directly or even indirectly to Hall's Oakland release, but it's not like the Redskins can claim they didn't know what they were getting themselves into upon signing Hall.
Source: ProFootballTalk

LonghornsLegend
11-08-2008, 11:57 AM
He was a dynamic punt returner in college. Like Pacman with the Cowboys his first way to earn more respect and minutes at DB would be to make an impact on special teams.

Basically, he stopped doing alot of PR when he looked like a stud at corner in ATL, when your the 3rd or 4th DB special teams are gonna be your "niche" if you want to play early...It's not like he's a millionaire anymore, throw him back there and see how he does.

BNad
11-08-2008, 12:05 PM
Petrino wanted him to return kicks (and play on offense) last season but he said he wanted to concentrate on CB.

BamaFalcon59
11-08-2008, 12:17 PM
Basically, he stopped doing alot of PR when he looked like a stud at corner in ATL, when your the 3rd or 4th DB special teams are gonna be your "niche" if you want to play early...It's not like he's a millionaire anymore, throw him back there and see how he does.

He's made over eight million in the past few months. I'm sure he's not hurting for money.

ChezPower4
11-08-2008, 12:55 PM
I completely disagree.

Why? He could add a boost for our defense for the second half of this year. I would not want him for longer than that. I think a big reason he struggled this year is because he played in Oakland and it's very hard for players to do well in oakland.

renegade
11-08-2008, 12:58 PM
If Hall suceeds the Redskins have the best secondary in the NFL. 4 good CBs, Shawn Springs, Carlos Rogers, Fred Smoot and now DeAngelo Hall. Then add the S, Chris Horton and Laron Landry. They might be the best already, which is really tough for me to say considering I'm an Eagles fan.

LonghornsLegend
11-08-2008, 01:12 PM
He's made over eight million in the past few months. I'm sure he's not hurting for money.

I never said he was, I made that exact same point in the other thread...My point here is that he's not a millionaire in retrospect to the Redskins, so it's not like they have to protect their investment.

Gay Ork Wang
11-08-2008, 01:53 PM
im not sure if its posted yet since i havent read the whole thread, but he chose the Redskins over Patriots and the Steelers which i think is very interesting

SeanTaylorRIP
11-08-2008, 02:10 PM
im not sure if its posted yet since i havent read the whole thread, but he chose the Redskins over Patriots and the Steelers which i think is very interesting

The Virginia Tech alumni must have been recruiting him hard. Also I'm sure for his perspective honestly if I were a 24 year old hot dog, I'd rather play for the free spirit super corny Jim Zorn, than the tough love of Bill Bellicheck and even Mike Tomlin. Also He probably wants to be around guys like Smoot and Marcus Washington who he can vibe with. It was a combination of things, 1 he is familiar with the area and the fans, 2 the Skins have durability issues at their corner spots, 3 the skins need a playmaking corner, and 4 the Skins are the team most likely to give him a long term deal if he performs well this season.

Menardo75
11-08-2008, 02:18 PM
The Virginia Tech alumni must have been recruiting him hard. Also I'm sure for his perspective honestly if I were a 24 year old hot dog, I'd rather play for the free spirit super corny Jim Zorn, than the tough love of Bill Bellicheck and even Mike Tomlin. Also He probably wants to be around guys like Smoot and Marcus Washington who he can vibe with. It was a combination of things, 1 he is familiar with the area and the fans, 2 the Skins have durability issues at their corner spots, 3 the skins need a playmaking corner, and 4 the Skins are the team most likely to give him a long term deal if he performs well this season.

I have'nt watched many Redskin games do they play more zone or man?

ChezPower4
11-08-2008, 04:02 PM
If Hall suceeds the Redskins have the best secondary in the NFL. 4 good CBs, Shawn Springs, Carlos Rogers, Fred Smoot and now DeAngelo Hall. Then add the S, Chris Horton and Laron Landry. They might be the best already, which is really tough for me to say considering I'm an Eagles fan.

I would agree that even without Hall, the Redskins could make a case for having the best secondary in the League. I'd give it to the Eagles though because of the expeirance at S.

jsagan77
11-08-2008, 10:23 PM
I would agree that even without Hall, the Redskins could make a case for having the best secondary in the League. I'd give it to the Eagles though because of the expeirance at S.

That's funny because I would have said the Pack has the best secondary... I guess you could make a case for either team though...

HawkeyeFan
11-08-2008, 10:25 PM
F*** the Redskins. God I hate 'em.

FloridaSkinzFan
11-09-2008, 12:49 AM
At least Deangelo Hall can catch interceptions.

Carlos Rogers can't catch a cold even though he plays excellent.

21ST
11-09-2008, 01:27 AM

You forgot the biggest reason

because when it is time to get paid danny comes up with big money he knows that he has a chance for another huge pay day

Cliche Guevara
11-11-2008, 02:58 PM
no need you have the matador ( see mike jenkins ) .

he hasnt looked that great

tjsunstein
11-11-2008, 03:19 PM
he hasnt looked that great

That was the point.