PDA

View Full Version : Vance Walker, DT

DiG
11-07-2008, 03:13 PM
Would like to get peoples thoughts on Vance Walker. I've watched him in a few games this year and the guy seems like a monster. Last year was his real breakout year as a junior with 8.5 sacks 14 tackles for loss and 47 total tackles. This year he was just nominated for the Chuck Bednarik Award. So far he has 33 tackles 8.5 tackles for loss, 3 sacks, and a safety this year as a senior. I know this past year he added about 10-15 lbs and still looks just as athletic. He plays in the penetrating style that I think the Skins really need. Anyone know a little more on him? I don't see why he couldn't move into the late first.

SuperKevin
11-07-2008, 03:16 PM
I've heard he's actively in that mix to be the first senior DT taken.

princefielder28
11-07-2008, 03:21 PM
He continues to impress me and I think he's going to have a productive NFL career but I wouldn't put him as a first round talent yet. He's a solid second round talent and from day one will fit in a rotation. The thing that concerns me a bit is the talent around him, Michael Johnson and Darryl Richard, may be allowing him more play opportunities.

Diehard
11-07-2008, 03:45 PM
The thing that concerns me a bit is the talent around him, Michael Johnson and Darryl Richard, may be allowing him more play opportunities.

That's my concern about the whole GT DL. Even the Soph DE (can't remember his name) looks pretty good. No question, they all can play, but how much of their individual success can be attributed to the others?

In some ways, I think Richard might be a better value than Walker - IMO, the difference between them in talent is a lot less than the difference in hype.

Solomon
11-08-2008, 01:59 AM
That's my concern about the whole GT DL. Even the Soph DE (can't remember his name) looks pretty good. No question, they all can play, but how much of their individual success can be attributed to the others?

In some ways, I think Richard might be a better value than Walker - IMO, the difference between them in talent is a lot less than the difference in hype.

Yeah Derrick Morgan looks like a great future prospect too. I really like Walker but I think there are too many guys fitting his mold this season. Senior DTs who are a bit undersized but offer good value as pentetrators (Peria Jerry, Terell Byrd, Ziggy Hood etc). He would still be a great fit in a Cover-2 defense.

Dam8610
11-08-2008, 02:50 AM
Would like to get peoples thoughts on Vance Walker. I've watched him in a few games this year and the guy seems like a monster. Last year was his real breakout year as a junior with 8.5 sacks 14 tackles for loss and 47 total tackles. This year he was just nominated for the Chuck Bednarik Award. So far he has 33 tackles 8.5 tackles for loss, 3 sacks, and a safety this year as a senior. I know this past year he added about 10-15 lbs and still looks just as athletic. He plays in the penetrating style that I think the Skins really need. Anyone know a little more on him? I don't see why he couldn't move into the late first.

He's good at times, but so is teammate Darryl Richard. Considering all the talent they have on that line (IMO all 4 starters could be future Day 1 picks), you have to wonder if it's all a result of individual talent, or if it's the result of the combined talent making them difficult to block for opposing college OLs.

foozball
11-08-2008, 12:49 PM
pshh...why doesnt a team just draft both DTs?