PDA

View Full Version : Is Kamerion Wimbley a bust?

ChezPower4
11-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Now that Wimbley has been in league for 2 and half seasons I think that this is a fair question to ask. I loved this guy coming our of Florida State and thought that he'd be a great fit in a 3-4 scheme. After racking up 11 sacks in his rookie season I thought that he was on his way to becoming possably the next great young passrusher in the NFL. Wimbley since his rookie has only recorded 7 sacks. Wimbley is a very talented guy and it's hard to believe that he's been struggling so badly. I fear that he may never match his production of his rookie season and that he may have been a one year wonder like Michael Clayton.

Does anyone think that he'll turn it around or is he a bust?

PoopSandwich
11-07-2008, 03:55 PM
As a Browns fan that gets to watch him do nothing constantly I would say yes, but our linebackers are a joke and hes the only real pass rusher, so I don't know if it really hurts him not having another true pass rusher.

terribletowel39
11-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Seems to me he hasn't had a good enough teacher. He doesn't have very many passrushing moves and can only beat the OT by a shoulder dip. If his LBer or the D-line coach could teach him something else he might start producing numbers again. Quite plainly, teams have figured him out.

Mr. Stiller
11-07-2008, 04:19 PM
He lacks moves, and plays on one of the worst defenses in the league.

As much as he's contributing to the team not being a monster..

1) His DC is not schemeing for him to get "3-4 Scheme sacks)
2) He doesn't have a great back 4 or top notch front 3.

As much as everyone loved the Shaun Rogers move, and yes he's been a solid but, this defense just is weak all around.

The defense has so many holes exploited that, teams don't have to key in to beat them.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
11-07-2008, 04:23 PM
He had 11 sacks as a rookie man...Wait till next year and see how he plays...I wanna know why Leon Williams doesnt see the field more often...Does he suck??? Or is Romeo a tard??

The Legend
11-07-2008, 04:25 PM
Has not had much help either.

ChezPower4
11-07-2008, 04:32 PM
He had 11 sacks as a rookie man...Wait till next year and see how he plays...I wanna know why Leon Williams doesnt see the field more often...Does he suck??? Or is Romeo a tard??

How much more time does he need? He's been in NFL for 2 and half seasons. Usually by the second or third year you have a good feel if a draft pick is going to pan out or not.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
11-07-2008, 04:39 PM
Look at Carlos Rogers...I hated that man w/ a passion...To the point where I thought he was the worst CB in the league...Now he is shutting WR's down...So dont be too quick to call him a bust...

ChezPower4
11-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Look at Carlos Rogers...I hated that man w/ a passion...To the point where I thought he was the worst CB in the league...Now he is shutting WR's down...So dont be too quick to call him a bust...

Rogers may be playing better but he still is having issues catching the ball.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
11-07-2008, 04:50 PM
What does that have to do w/ his coverage abilities???

Gay Ork Wang
11-07-2008, 04:51 PM
What does that have to do w/ his coverage abilities???
what does that have to do with the question?

Geo
11-07-2008, 04:52 PM
I think with the big front that the Browns have, anchored by Shaun Rogers, that I would rush Wimbley on every single play. But I would try to rush him from all around the field relatively speaking, ex. get him some looks at the right tackle, rush the interior, etcetera. Keep the offense on its toes a bit, when they (other than the left tackle) might not think they'd see a lot of him going in.

Maybe that's the case in Cleveland, I can't say I really know much of how their defense operates. I know that I'd like to see them be a bit more aggressive, if they are going to get burned down the field anyways then bring a various blitzer that the offense can't get ahold of.

As for Wimbley, I'll give him through his fourth season. Mainly thanks to the promise he showed as a rookie.

Shane P. Hallam
11-07-2008, 05:07 PM
I don't think he has completely stunk up the joint or anything. He isn't a complete bust by any means.

renegade
11-07-2008, 05:15 PM
He plays on a team that has one of the worst defenses in the NFL, so he is not getting much help. Like it was said, he had 11 sacks his rookie season so no he isn't a bust yet, he has produced before and I'm sure he could do it again. I'd give him 1-2 more seasons extra before I call him a bust just because he produced his rookie season.

Also I think the word bust is thrown around way to much, Wimbley is not a bust as long as he is starting, he is just disappointing. Now if he were to get benched and then got cut, then I might use the word bust to describe him. When I hear the word bust I think Mike Williams, Charles Rogers and Peter Warrick type deals.

Gay Ork Wang
11-07-2008, 05:18 PM
I think u mean Charles Rogers

renegade
11-07-2008, 05:20 PM
I think u mean Charles Rogers

yeah, so many dang Rogers... :mad:

LonghornsLegend
11-07-2008, 05:28 PM
what does that have to do with the question?

I think the point is that it doesn't make a corner a bust because he can't catch.

Menardo75
11-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Yeah I would not say a bust since he is still starting. He really needs to learn some more moves, and have a DC that makes packages for him.

Bruce Banner
11-07-2008, 05:31 PM
Just like Clayton, I blame the coaching.

awfullyquiet
11-07-2008, 05:35 PM
I think the point is that it doesn't make a corner a bust because he can't catch.

well. it certainly is a good thing

now.

wimbley is no bust. i'd give him a full 4 years before calling him that... it's not like he doesn't try, he's just in re-learning mode.

Gay Ork Wang
11-07-2008, 05:38 PM
yes, but what im referring to is that just because he thought Rogers was one of the worst CBs in the league....Wimbley is a total different situation

Mr. Stiller
11-07-2008, 05:51 PM
How much more time does he need? He's been in NFL for 2 and half seasons. Usually by the second or third year you have a good feel if a draft pick is going to pan out or not.

Again, He's on a terrible defense.

The 3-4 needs a strong DL.. look at the best 3-4 Defenses...

Pitt, Baltimore, SD, NE.. have great DL's..

But Cleveland is weak on all levels of that defense to the point where they don't have to worry about Wimbley.

Plus I don't think he's being coached... 2.5 years and he hasn't added a Bullrush, spinmove or anything is kind of disheartening, I'd say the coaching Failed Wimbley thus far.

ChezPower4
11-07-2008, 05:56 PM
Again, He's on a terrible defense.

The 3-4 needs a strong DL.. look at the best 3-4 Defenses...

Pitt, Baltimore, SD, NE.. have great DL's..

But Cleveland is weak on all levels of that defense to the point where they don't have to worry about Wimbley.

Plus I don't think he's being coached... 2.5 years and he hasn't added a Bullrush, spinmove or anything is kind of disheartening, I'd say the coaching Failed Wimbley thus far.

Coaching has failed that defense

Shane P. Hallam
11-07-2008, 05:59 PM
It's a prime situation of how situation can fail a career as much as the person themselves.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
11-07-2008, 07:20 PM

Thats exactly my point...

giantsfan
11-07-2008, 07:41 PM
I'd love for him to come to NY and actually get someone to teach him a pass rush move other than the just running around the edge and dipping the shoulder. He's no bust although he hasn't progressed like he should've I blame the coaching entirely and would love to see him get an actually good mentor.

Bruce Banner
11-07-2008, 07:44 PM
I'd love for him to come to NY and actually get someone to teach him a pass rush move other than the just running around the edge and dipping the shoulder. He's no bust although he hasn't progressed like he should've I blame the coaching entirely and would love to see him get an actually good mentor.

I wonder if Willie McGinest took him under his wing.

giantsfan
11-07-2008, 07:48 PM

even if he did McGinest's pass rush repetoire is only marginally more advanced than Joey Porter's, and porter's is in turn only marginally more advanced than Wimbley's.

Addict
11-08-2008, 07:03 AM
I'm not giving up on Wimbley quite yet. But it's not looking good so far.

keylime_5
11-08-2008, 09:05 AM
yep, he's a bust. 11 sacks as a rookie, jack squat since. still time to pull a calvin pace though.

Hines
11-08-2008, 09:38 AM
If the Browns had another guy rushing the passer on the other side, he will be solid. So I say no.

11-08-2008, 09:59 AM
If the Browns had another guy rushing the passer on the other side, he will be solid. So I say no.

Yeah, Willie McGinest, seriously ? You don't need another coach on the field. Get this stud some real help.

Hines
11-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Yeah, Willie McGinest, seriously ? You don't need another coach on the field. Get this stud some real help.

I also dont think it helps that most of his defensive line are pass rushers and cant really hold the point of attack. Outside of Rogers and Wimbley, I wouldnt want anyone from that defense.

awfullyquiet
11-08-2008, 10:14 AM
yep, he's a bust. 11 sacks as a rookie, jack squat since. still time to pull a calvin pace though.

everyone is SO quick to draw this kinda ****.

The learning curve for the average nfl player is 3-4 years. If you have a good rookie year, it doesn't mean you're exempt from said learning curve.

keylime_5
11-08-2008, 10:17 AM
he's a one dimensional speed rusher who has one move. He gets pressure sometimes, but not enough and almost never gets sacks or tfls anymore. The Browns linebackers in general are pretty lousy. Wimbley is a bust so far, he hasn't done anything since his rookie year at all. His sack against Denver was when Clady blocked the guy outside of him thinking Hamilton would block Wimbley, but wimbley went unblocked. Not many plays where you are unblocked.

awfullyquiet
11-08-2008, 10:19 AM
he's a one dimensional speed rusher who has one move. He gets pressure sometimes, but not enough and almost never gets sacks or tfls anymore. The Browns linebackers in general are pretty lousy. Wimbley is a bust so far, he hasn't done anything since his rookie year at all. His sack against Denver was when Clady blocked the guy outside of him thinking Hamilton would block Wimbley, but wimbley went unblocked. Not many plays where you are unblocked.

so far. i think that's a key word...

you also have to recognize how BAD the browns defense looks.

Burns336
11-08-2008, 11:21 AM
I don't think he is a complete bust, but he isn't all he was cracked up to be.

I know people on this board were saying he could and would be better than DeMarcus Ware.

I never see that happening, but he could be a 10 sack/year guy if they just let him pin his ears back.

keylime_5
11-08-2008, 12:30 PM
so far. i think that's a key word...

you also have to recognize how BAD the browns defense looks.

well our defense looked alright against cincinnati, pittsburgh, washington, new york, and jacksonville..but in the meltdowns against Baltimore and Denver they just got shredded in the 2nd half and 4th quarter especially. Defense was way worse last year and the fact that we get no pass rush is a big reason. Cleveland looks to be a couple good outside pass rushers away from being a pretty solid defensive team. Defensive line and secondary aren't that bad.

PACKmanN
11-08-2008, 12:37 PM
I also dont think it helps that most of his defensive line are pass rushers and cant really hold the point of attack. Outside of Rogers and Wimbley, I wouldnt want anyone from that defense.

I will take Sean Jones over Rogers. Wimbley was raw when he came out, and still is without the coaches doing their jobs.

ChezPower4
11-08-2008, 12:48 PM

I would take Sean Jones, Jones could be a pro bowler if he had better players around him also Corey Williams is not a very good 3-4 end but he's a very solid 4-3 DT. Wimbley, Rodgers, Jones, and Williams that's all I would take.

Bearsfan123
11-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Mark Anderson same story as Wimbley just worse. First year- 12 sacks, since then 5 all last year. Now he is just getting stone-walled. Not even getting pressures.

SenorGato
11-08-2008, 01:31 PM

I'd take Sean Jones and Eric Wright too.

Iunno what's happened to Wimbley but I've been asking this question for a while too. He's been completely invisible since his rookie year IMO, but like many here I think it's because Cleveland's coaching staff just can't take anything about that team and put it over the top. That offense *should* be elite, but it's not. That D has added some nice pieces, but nothing really has changed there.

Romeo needs to go.

Gay Ork Wang
11-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Mark Anderson same story as Wimbley just worse. First year- 12 sacks, since then 5 all last year. Now he is just getting stone-walled. Not even getting pressures.
He doesnt even try to stop the run

keylime_5
11-08-2008, 01:40 PM
I will take Sean Jones over Rogers. Wimbley was raw when he came out, and still is without the coaches doing their jobs.

rogers has been absolutely dominant this year. Jones has been solid but makes mental mistakes and is only average in coverage, though he is a good strong safety. but Rogers is the best player on the team this year by far. he's the only guy on the club defintiely worthy of a pro bowl, and if he doesn't go then it's totally unfair to him.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
11-08-2008, 05:19 PM
I think the term 'bust' refers to someone who disappoints to a considerable degree. The guy is a starter, and is a solid, but not spectacular player, and that isn't the definition of a bust. He's not going to be out of the league or anything like that. My answer is simply: No

PoopSandwich
11-08-2008, 05:31 PM

LOL...

What the hell are you smoking and can I have some of it... Sean Jones over Shaun Rogers? Please...

nobodyinparticular
11-08-2008, 06:36 PM

McGinest seems to get a lot more love than he deserves. Look at his career stats. He averages just over 6.5 sacks per 16 games. That's not exactly Hall of Fame worthy right there.

Who was Merriman's coach? Who taught him to rush the passer? That's who you want to teach Wimbley.

Bruce Banner
11-08-2008, 07:21 PM
McGinest seems to get a lot more love than he deserves. Look at his career stats. He averages just over 6.5 sacks per 16 games. That's not exactly Hall of Fame worthy right there.

Who was Merriman's coach? Who taught him to rush the passer? That's who you want to teach Wimbley.

Eek. I just figured a veteran at the position would show him a few tricks....

Pokeys
11-08-2008, 09:20 PM
wtf? this thread should have the name Manny Lawson and not Wimbley. Wimbley is still developing and hes been pretty good in my opinion.

PoopSandwich
11-08-2008, 11:29 PM
wtf? this thread should have the name Manny Lawson and not Wimbley. Wimbley is still developing and hes been pretty good in my opinion.

Your opinion is WRONG.

Pokeys
11-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Your opinion is WRONG.

Well 39 people and counting back me... Soooo maybe your wrong? Hes not a bust not yet, sure he hasn't lived up to the hype but hes still a youngin.

PoopSandwich
11-09-2008, 12:18 AM
Wimbley is still developing and hes been pretty good in my opinion.

That part was wrong... You never said he wasn't a bust, you said he is developing and pretty good... He hasn't done anything since his rookie year and only has one move and constantly gets knocked on his ass and misses tackles.

keylime_5
11-09-2008, 08:55 AM

he hasn't been pretty good. His rookie year ya, but since he's falen off the map and has been a below average linebacker and pass rusher for the Browns. You can say he's not a bust yet b/c he's young, fine...but to date he sure as hell is a bust and I don't think he's gonna change unless something drastic happens.