PDA

View Full Version : Porter

Finlayson56
03-02-2007, 07:19 PM
if Adelius Thomas signs with the Pats i could see the Boys going after Joey Porter

KILLERSANTA
03-02-2007, 07:22 PM
if Adelius Thomas signs with the Pats i could see the Boys going after Joey Porter
I hope not..........

D-Unit
03-02-2007, 07:44 PM
Since BP arrived, we have avoided high profile FA signings (all but TO). I don't suspect things to change that dramatically.

Ward
03-02-2007, 08:24 PM
I hope we pass, personally. He's a lot of attitude and we don't need what he offers. Between Carp and Ellis, we have what Porter can bring us, without the tude.

D-Unit
03-02-2007, 08:28 PM
I hope we pass, personally. He's a lot of attitude and we don't need what he offers. Between Carp and Ellis, we have what Porter can bring us, without the tude.
"Without the tude"... HAHAHA! I like that! Made me chuckle! :D

terribletowel39
03-02-2007, 08:32 PM

it's way more than a tude. yes i am somewhat being a homer even though he doesn't play for us anymore. there isn't a person in the NFL that can get your team pumped up for a game more than porter and that can be a deciding factor for the boys. he would be great addition he is good in coverage and not a bad pass rusher (yes he has declined)

M.O.T.H.
03-02-2007, 09:52 PM
He's going to get soooooooooo much money and we dont have it.

Finlayson56
03-03-2007, 01:29 PM
He's going to get soooooooooo much money and we dont have it.

we got 22 mill in cap space

TheFan0520
03-03-2007, 01:42 PM
I think that "attitude" is just what this defense needs. Seriously, who plays with fire and passion on that defense?

thule
03-03-2007, 02:50 PM
The Cowboys did not ignore the defensive side of the ball, talking with the agent for recently released linebacker Joey Porter.
http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstory/stories/030307cpdavis.393e1f4.html

Some substance to the speculation.

Poet3334
03-03-2007, 04:05 PM
I think that "attitude" is just what this defense needs. Seriously, who plays with fire and passion on that defense?

True. Our D needs more passion.

D-Unit
03-03-2007, 04:09 PM
http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstory/stories/030307cpdavis.393e1f4.html

Some substance to the speculation.
What I also like about that article is the mention of Jordan Black... Finally... one of the guys I've been mentioning him as one of the guys to target for a while now.

Oh and... BRING ON PORTER!

Poet3334
03-03-2007, 04:30 PM
We missed out on your guy Stinchcomb too. That one really intrigued me.

Ward
03-03-2007, 04:33 PM
What I also like about that article is the mention of Jordan Black... Finally... one of the guys I've been mentioning him as one of the guys to target for a while now.

I don't think Black is necessarily an upgrade over Colombo, although the guy is from my neighborhood, just like Dockery. Can't believe you actually want Porter, D. We don't need anything he offers.

Finlayson56
03-03-2007, 04:44 PM
aparently Dallas Has been on the phone with porters agent today

D-Unit
03-03-2007, 04:57 PM
I don't think Black is necessarily an upgrade over Colombo, although the guy is from my neighborhood, just like Dockery. Can't believe you actually want Porter, D. We don't need anything he offers.
I like his game. He's a beast on the field. He brings a tenacity on D that we lack. He's very knowledgeable in the 3-4 and he's not old. Steeler fans will be quick to point out that he's slowing down, but they are fooling themselves. It also eliminates the need to draft an OLB.

Porter and Ware coming off the edges? Ooohweee! That's a sick thought right there.

Dave
03-03-2007, 05:08 PM
I like the idea of Porter playing for us. I don't like the idea of his attitude and Terrell's attitudes on one team. We would have one of the most vocal teams in the NFL which would bring a lot of publicity. Other than that, the only way I would want Porter is if he takes a small offer.

Modano
03-03-2007, 06:07 PM

Do you want Black to play guard or tackle?

Ward
03-03-2007, 06:46 PM
I like his game. He's a beast on the field. He brings a tenacity on D that we lack. He's very knowledgeable in the 3-4 and he's not old. Steeler fans will be quick to point out that he's slowing down, but they are fooling themselves. It also eliminates the need to draft an OLB.

Porter and Ware coming off the edges? Ooohweee! That's a sick thought right there.

He's tenacious, there's no doubting that. The problem is that he's also a distraction, something I don't really care for at this point. Remember when he actually fought pre-game? We want that? My other issue is this, if we are committed to Carpenter on the outside, then Carpenter needs to stay outside and not be outed by a free agent like Porter.

thule
03-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Black would play OG imo.

M.O.T.H.
03-04-2007, 08:22 AM
we got 22 mill in cap space

We're also looking to sign our OT back, a Guard in Leonard Davis, a back up Quarterback and lots of draft picks.

UTPATS
03-04-2007, 08:48 AM
I would like to see some of our younger guys get some more looks and develope than bring in Porter. I do like Porter, and I agree that he would be spark on D, but I think he would hinder our youth developement, which I believe is very important, plus I would rather spend a little more money keeping our RT than on Porter, our money should go to the O-Line.

Macarthur
03-04-2007, 09:24 AM
I tend to agree. Phillips is supposed to be a master at getting pressure and helping guys maximize their pass rushing ability.

I would prefer to save that money and grab a pass rusher on the first day of the draft. Let's not forget we have Burnett, Glymph & Carpenter that can hold things down until Ellis is back or the draft pick is ready to take over.

TNewFan41
03-04-2007, 11:33 AM
What do you mean hold down the fort? Carpenter was our first round pick last year. Why is everyone treating him like he was a 6th rounder?

He is our starting SOLB, and even when Ellis gets back, Carp is still the starter. Get that through your head.

JJJ888
03-04-2007, 11:38 AM
It seems to me that people on this forum have a habit of giving up on our young guys, especially first round draft picks, if they don't become instant superstars. Case and point(s): Bobby Carpenter, Marcus Spears, Pat Watkins, Julius Jones, etc...

Let's give these guys some time to adjust to the NFL before we start sticking them in reserve roles. It really is very different to the college game and the best way to improve and become more adjusted is to play.

Macarthur
03-04-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm not giving up on Carpenter. I think Carp will slide inside. I think that's his more natural position.

LSUALUM99
03-04-2007, 11:44 AM
Why is it more of his natural position? He played OLB at Ohio State, and was drafted at OLB here?

Finlayson56
03-04-2007, 11:47 AM
It seems to me that people on this forum have a habit of giving up on our young guys, especially first round draft picks, if they don't become instant superstars. Case and point(s): Bobby Carpenter, Marcus Spears, Pat Watkins, Julius Jones, etc...

Let's give these guys some time to adjust to the NFL before we start sticking them in reserve roles. It really is very different to the college game and the best way to improve and become more adjusted is to play.

i dont think we would be giving up on Carpenter i realy liked what i saw in the playoff game but Porter has played in the 3-4 system and Carpenter still needs to improve before he should start and realy i would only want Porter on a two year contract.With that there is nothing wroung with having depth at Linebacker.as for Pat Watkins he got his chance and I didnt see anything that blew me away its thats why we need to draft a Saftey. As for Jones i dont think hes the explosive runner we need .

Macarthur
03-04-2007, 11:48 AM
Why is it more of his natural position? He played OLB at Ohio State, and was drafted at OLB here?

He played OLB in a 4-3.

LSUALUM99
03-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Ok, so my point is that he's always played OLB. It's quite a leap to just make the statement that ILB is his natural position. He hasn't ever played it, yet you think it's his natural position?

P.S. He also played DE at Ohio State in the Nickel.

Macarthur
03-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Ok, so my point is that he's always played OLB. It's quite a leap to just make the statement that ILB is his natural position. He hasn't ever played it, yet you think it's his natural position?

P.S. He also played DE at Ohio State in the Nickel.
Sure he rushed the passer at OSU.

Maybe I should have been more clear. I don't think he is going to take the place of Brady James. When I say inside in the 3-4, I think his best postition is the weakside LB. Not that he can't play OLB, but I don't see him as any better than an average pass rusher. I hope I'm wrong, but I think we need more from that position opposite Ware.

D-Unit
03-04-2007, 01:02 PM
If Parcells felt like ILB was a position Carp could embrace, then that's good enough for me.

Macarthur
03-04-2007, 01:05 PM
Yeah, I do think his best position will be that weakside LB.

If memory serves me, at the end of the season when Carp was playing much better, I think much of that time was when they were shifting into the 4-3. Does that sound right everyone else?

thule
03-04-2007, 01:53 PM
The Dallas Cowboys have joined a growing number of teams interested in signing former Steelers linebacker Joey Porter.

Dallas and the Baltimore Ravens are the latest teams to contact Porter, agent Jeff Sperbeck said Saturday. Other teams inquiring about Porter's availability include the Miami Dolphins, Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns and New York Giants.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_496045.html

Another article showing our interest in Porter. I think this is a good move. If we lose singleton we will need some veteran leadership on the outside...Ellis doesn't have the experience to be considered a leader on the outside imo.

Another source
Joey Porter interest

The Cowboys have expressed interest in recently cut outside linebacker Joey Porter. He is one of the outspoken and best linebackers in the league.
Would he fit in here in Dallas?

Can you envision a pass rushing core of Porter, DeMarcus Ware and Greg Ellis on third down situations.

If the Cowboys sign Porter, and believe me there are plenty of sutiors out there, which side do you move him to. Do you move him toward Ware's side and then move Ware to Ellis' side? Then bring Ellis in on passing downs.
Or do you move Porter inside?

There are so many things you can do with Joey Porter.

Do you guys like the linebackers the Cowboys currently have? I do and I think they should pass on Porter. But it doesn't hurt to see what type of salary he's talking about.
http://cowboys.beloblog.com/archives/2007/03/joey_porter_interest.html

Dave
03-04-2007, 01:56 PM
One of the biggest reasons it is so easy to down Carp is because he hasn't been given hardly any opportunitys to start. I honestly think if he got a few more games under his belt he could be the man on the other side of Ware. He just needs to be put in more often and I think he'll get it. A good time split between him and Ellis should do fine.

IndyColtScout
03-04-2007, 01:57 PM

Yea I was wondering why people think DAL needs a LB. DAL actually is stacked at LB w/ Ware, Carp, Akin, Bradie, & Burnett coming off the bench. Wade has a lot to work with.

thule
03-04-2007, 02:00 PM
Yea I was wondering why people think DAL needs a LB. DAL actually is stacked at LB w/ Ware, Carp, Akin, Bradie, & Burnett coming off the bench. Wade has a lot to work with.

But yet our scouts still talked with 3 of the top linebackers at the combine!

Macarthur
03-04-2007, 02:00 PM
I agree we have bodies there. I would be fine if Wade thinks he's got what he needs there. I have thought Burnett could be a poor man's Adalieaus Thomas. I just think we are concerned because after Ellis went out last year, we were getting no pass rush opposite Ware.

JJJ888
03-04-2007, 03:15 PM
The reason that Carpenter struggled so early on is because he was still adjusting to the pro game...he played extremely well in the Seattle game, even when we were playing 3-4. And as LSU pointed out, he certainly has the pass-rushing experience from playing DE in the nickel.

Furthermore, in the blip from the DMN blog, Calvin Watkins suggested that adding Porter would have the Cowboy's pass-rushing core include Ellis. That indicates to me that he certainly will be back.

Macarthur
03-04-2007, 04:00 PM
I hear what you are saying. My only point is that everyone is assuming Ellis will be right back as he was, and I'm not so sure. I hope he is.

Ward
03-04-2007, 04:07 PM

In fact, Ohio State used him almost exactly how we do. Standing up on 1st and 2nd, three point stance on passing downs. Carp is right where needs to be, Porter is NOT needed.

D-Unit
03-04-2007, 04:19 PM
The addition of Porter doesn't mean the exit of Ellis. Or that we're giving up on Carp. I think you guys are looking at the starting rotation and thinking that if that's set that no one else will have a significant role.

I say bring on all the talent we can get on Defense!

LSUALUM99
03-04-2007, 04:34 PM
The addition of Porter doesn't mean the exit of Ellis. Or that we're giving up on Carp. I think you guys are looking at the starting rotation and thinking that if that's set that no one else will have a significant role.

I say bring on all the talent we can get on Defense!

For the right price, of course. More talent is better. If you are paying him starter money though, then there is an issue.

I think Burnett and Carpenter will both play significant roles next year.

P.S. Steve Foley was cut by SD. Now there is a guy who you should be able to sign on the cheap that could help rush the passer if Ellis isn't healthy. That's the type of LB I'd like to bring in (CHEAP).

Paul
03-04-2007, 04:35 PM
I like Porter for sure. And like others said he will give our defense some swagger, something we haven't had, not even from Roy. But we invested alot of money and picks at OLB already, and Porter would just add to the logjam. So I'm not totally against it, but he's not high on my list.

DMWSackMachine
03-04-2007, 04:39 PM
There is no way that Porter would sign here for less than, say, 5-6m per season, with at least 8m guaranteed and a minimum of 4 years. If we make that kind of investment, we can't afford to have him for for depth. He would have to been a main cog in our scheme. If that happens, it will certainly slow or stop the development of both Carpenter and Burnett. Not only that, but then you have to juggle between he, Ware and Ellis, because you really can't have them all on the field at the same time, except in highly specific situations.

Now, if it was Madden, and I could simply plug him in when and where I wanted, without all the baggage that would follow, then yes, I would love to have him. But it's not. He would be a bad addition to our team, unless Ellis is done and Bobby is moved inside. That's all there is to it.

Modano
03-04-2007, 04:57 PM
Porter won't play in a situational role.. He want to start.. If we bring him or we move Carpenter inside or Carpenter will be a waste. You don't use your first round picks as situational guys, they HAVE to start...

Finlayson56
03-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Porter won't play in a situational role.. He want to start.. If we bring him or we move Carpenter inside or Carpenter will be a waste. You don't use your first round picks as situational guys, they HAVE to start...
New Coach if Bill was still in Dallas Porter wouldn't even get a look but with Wade he know the 3-4 system much better and knows Porter will make a bigger impact than Carpenter (at this point in time)

Im_a_Romosexual
03-04-2007, 11:06 PM
I dont think we'll get porter, nor do I want him. IMO his only use on the team is as a rah-rah guy.