PDA

View Full Version : Arizona OT Eben Britton - Top-10 Pick?

Matthew Jones
11-08-2008, 08:23 AM
What do people know about this guy? According to ESPN, he's a 6'5 1/2", 310 pound junior left tackle from Arizona who, coming out of high school ran a five-second forty (Rivals.com) and was a four-star recruit that USC tried to pick up as well. He is on the watch list for the 2008 Outland Trophy, and had played in every game his first two years, so he could come out as a three-year starter this year or a four-year starter next year. Scouts, Inc. has him ranked as the #2 offensive tackle in this class and the #7 prospect overall if he declares. Does anyone have any more information on this guy? Where's the love?

Yatta!
11-08-2008, 08:53 AM
Scouts, Inc. has him ranked as the #2 offensive tackle in this class and the #7 prospect overall if he declares. Does anyone have any more information on this guy? Where's the love?

I know he's a good prospect and he's on my radar but I don't think he's on the same level as Oher, Smith and Monroe yet. Anyone heard rumours of him declaring? He'd be better staying another year imo.

gator3guy
11-08-2008, 10:56 AM
Never watched him play, but the rest of this class is loaded. That said he'd be much better off draft wise staying another year.

princefielder28
11-08-2008, 01:27 PM
I know he's a good prospect and he's on my radar but I don't think he's on the same level as Oher, Smith and Monroe yet. Anyone heard rumours of him declaring? He'd be better staying another year imo.

Oher, Monroe, Smith, Black, Jason Smith are all better prospects than Britton right now, and it would be wise for him to stay in school to improve his stock, become more of a household name, and make himself some more money. His athleticism is very intriguing, but his athelticism has a tend to be neutralized with bad footwork.

SuperKevin
11-08-2008, 03:14 PM
I really like Eben Britton. I think he's the best OT in the Pac 10 right now and I think he'd be in the top 5 OTs if he declared right now. Personally I think he stays in school and makes a run at the top half of the 1st round in 2010

SuperKevin
11-08-2008, 03:50 PM
He has not been flagged for a penalty all year. That's pretty incredible. He's stated he's not coming out but has said he'll rethink the decision after the season ends

ThePudge
11-08-2008, 04:18 PM
He is more highly regarded, as a prospect, to some people, than LSU's Ciron Black or Oklahoma State's Russell Okung in terms of junior OT's. He's long, he's athletic, and is having a tremendous year. He has the athletic ability and physical tools of the more touted Eugene Monroe and has been just as good, if not better, at this point in 2008. Britton could be selected in the first half of the first round in next season's draft.

He has not commented positively on declaring for the 2009 NFL Draft. He has reportedly said that he is just taking things one thing at a time and the most important thing to him right now is college football and next week. Regarding after the season, he says he do not know what will happen. So, we'll have to see as he's not giving much information right now.

Iamcanadian
11-09-2008, 01:39 AM
McShay says he is the #2 OT in the draft ahead of Oher and Monroe.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft09/columns/story?columnist=mcshay_todd&id=3686211

STARHEATHER
11-09-2008, 02:24 AM
has anyone actually seen him play? i saw them vs usc. wasnt pretty.

SuperKevin
11-09-2008, 02:31 AM
has anyone actually seen him play? i saw them vs usc. wasnt pretty.

I've watched Eben Britton a lot. He has given up a whopping 0 penalties on the season and has very rarely been beaten for a sack. The rest of the line isn't good but Britton is a stud

STARHEATHER
11-09-2008, 02:38 AM
i was just wondering. i see him flying up boards. they couldnt move the ball vs usc at all. i didnt really pay attention to him specifically. the offense as a whole was ugly

eaglesalltheway
11-09-2008, 09:00 AM
i was just wondering. i see him flying up boards. they couldnt move the ball vs usc at all. i didnt really pay attention to him specifically. the offense as a whole was ugly

I love you heather...

Race for the Heisman
12-20-2008, 10:34 PM
So I got to see Britton in detail for the first time tonight, and I was quite impressed.

He has a longer body type and looks like he has long arms. I was especially impressed with his hands and his feet. Once he got his hands on the guy it was over and his agility looked excellent. He seemed very intelligent in terms of recognizing blitzes and stunts and playing the inside guy first. I don't think his man got near the quarterback except on one play where he looked like he got surprised by a bull rush, but he recovered at the last moment due to quick hands and quick feet. The important thing for me on that play was that Tuitama still wasn't touched and he had enough time to complete a pass.

My complaints would be in the running game. He looks like a finesse player and while he can move his guy to create running lanes, he is by no means dominant or even very good.

I don't think he'll surpass any of the big three in terms of stock if he were to come out, but I think he would probably be the fourth tackle taken. Should be a great blindside protecter who contributes in the running game but his forte will always be in pass pro.

SenorGato
12-20-2008, 11:32 PM
He sounds like a good talent that should let his name and hype train build up and enjoy another year in college.

He sounds like D'Brick as a prospect, but I'm not a Pac 10 fan/expert at all.

ChezPower4
12-20-2008, 11:51 PM
I think that he'll be a first rounder but not a top ten pick. He's a great talent and may end up being a top 20 pick.

Mr.Regular
12-21-2008, 12:14 AM
Id love a scouting report on him. I dont catch many Arizona games here, so I've mostly only seen highlights.
Anyone got a detailed report on this kid?

D-Unit
12-21-2008, 12:45 AM
If he's being considered a top 10 pick then I say, "OVER-RATED!!!"

SuperKevin
12-21-2008, 12:46 AM
Id love a scouting report on him. I dont catch many Arizona games here, so I've mostly only seen highlights.
Anyone got a detailed report on this kid?

Really athletic LT with very long arms. Excels in pass protection. Very smart player who has not been called for a penalty all game. If he has a weakness it could be that he's not a mauler in the run game but that could be because of the scheme. He really reminds me of Joe Thomas

iBoldin
12-21-2008, 01:00 AM
I think Britton is almost as good as Jason Smith in protection, and actually a better run blocker. I don't think he's all that bad. I think he's a top ten pick, and can leapfrog Oher, Monroe, Smith, etc when it's all said and done.

Babylon
12-21-2008, 01:23 AM
Really athletic LT with very long arms. Excels in pass protection. Very smart player who has not been called for a penalty all game. If he has a weakness it could be that he's not a mauler in the run game but that could be because of the scheme. He really reminds me of Joe Thomas

I don't know if 's in the Joe Thomas class yet but he's very good. My guess is he would go earlier than most predict but no telling if he'll come out. You were one of the first to tout this guy.

SuperKevin
12-21-2008, 01:46 AM
I'm a firm believer that if this guy played for USC or Ohio State he'd be considered a lock to be top 5.

Scott Wright
12-21-2008, 07:00 AM
He is getting WAY overrated. He's MAYBE a fringe first rounder in 2009.

Could he be one of the Top 3 senior offensive tackles heading into next year? Sure. However, at this point scouts aren't even sure he's a left tackle.

Smokey Joe
12-21-2008, 08:31 AM
If he came out, I think he could leapfrog Oher, Smith, and Monroe. He has a boat load of talent and his overall game is very good. He kind of reminds of D'Brick, which isn't bad at all.

Scott Wright
12-21-2008, 08:44 AM
If he came out, I think he could leapfrog Oher, Smith, and Monroe. He has a boat load of talent and his overall game is very good. He kind of reminds of D'Brick, which isn't bad at all.

Could not disagree more.

Smokey Joe
12-21-2008, 08:46 AM
Could not disagree more.
Well, I don't see why you are so down on Britton... care to elaborate more?

Race for the Heisman
12-21-2008, 09:04 AM
I forgot to add that I really didn't consider the talent level of his opponent. I was assuming he faced Jan Jorgensen (sp?) most of the night, whose production made it sound like he might have a shot in the NFL, but I never really got to check because they never called the other guy's name and I never got a good camera angle.

princefielder28
12-21-2008, 09:05 AM
I am gonna guess Scott's problems with Britton come from some poor footwork, inability to sustain blocks on a consistent basis in the run game, and he plays too high. I may be wrong but I'm just throwing that out there.

Scott Wright
12-21-2008, 09:33 AM
It's not that I'm down on Britton, he is a very good player.

However, he is FAR from a Top 10 caliber prospect this year.

He would enter next season as one of the two or three best senior offensive tackles and may have a chance to move into that category but right now all of this hype is based on one person. The same person who had Fili Moala as the #1 overall pick in the draft ( not to mention Al Woods #4 overall and Tim Tebow #7 overall) just a few months ago.

Scouts do not view Britton as anything close to a Top 10 pick in the 2009 NFL Draft. He isn't even one of the Top 2-3 offensive tackles in the junior class.

Britton is probably a Day One pick if he comes out early but not a Top 10 pick.

Race for the Heisman
12-21-2008, 10:10 AM

He would enter next season as one of the two or three best senior offensive tackles and may have a chance to move into that category but right now all of this hype is based on one person. The same person who had Fili Moala as the #1 overall pick in the draft ( not to mention Al Woods #4 overall and Tim Tebow #7 overall) just a few months ago.

Scouts do not view Britton as anything close to a Top 10 pick in the 2009 NFL Draft. He isn't even one of the Top 2-3 offensive tackles in the junior class.

Care to elaborate?

Geo
12-21-2008, 10:19 AM
LOL http://stlsportsinsider.com/Images/McShay_Todd.jpg LOL

I have liked what I've seen from ESPN's scouting reports this year though.

Scott Wright
12-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Care to elaborate?

Right now Britton is a fringe first rounder.

If he comes out he will compete for the spot behind Andre Smith, Eugene Monroe, Jason Smith and Michael Oher.

bernbabybern820
12-21-2008, 11:05 AM
So I got to see Britton in detail for the first time tonight, and I was quite impressed.

He has a longer body type and looks like he has long arms. I was especially impressed with his hands and his feet. Once he got his hands on the guy it was over and his agility looked excellent. He seemed very intelligent in terms of recognizing blitzes and stunts and playing the inside guy first. I don't think his man got near the quarterback except on one play where he looked like he got surprised by a bull rush, but he recovered at the last moment due to quick hands and quick feet. The important thing for me on that play was that Tuitama still wasn't touched and he had enough time to complete a pass.

My complaints would be in the running game. He looks like a finesse player and while he can move his guy to create running lanes, he is by no means dominant or even very good.

I don't think he'll surpass any of the big three in terms of stock if he were to come out, but I think he would probably be the fourth tackle taken. Should be a great blindside protecter who contributes in the running game but his forte will always be in pass pro.

I had the exact same thoughts. I was surprised that he couldn't get too much of a push in the running game with his size advantage. Showed great awareness in pass protection though.

Babylon
12-21-2008, 11:09 AM

I've seen him about 5 or 6 times now and he really is going to be a good player. I do agree with you that he isnt a top 10 player this year but sort of projecting the future i would say he'll be one of the top 2 or 3 tackles out of this draft.

He really is a super pass blocker, his balance and footwork is top shelf and he uses his hands well. He's more of a seal off type blocker in the run game as opposed to a second level guy but as someone pointed out that may be the scheme they run. Teams like Detroit, Washington or a New England could really get themselves a steal in the latter part of round 1. Just my take.

Race for the Heisman
12-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Right now Britton is a fringe first rounder.

If he comes out he will compete for the spot behind Andre Smith, Eugene Monroe, Jason Smith and Michael Oher.

So fringe first; is that a final projection or a 'before workouts if the draft was today' projection?

JFLO
12-21-2008, 01:25 PM
I don't think he has sold a lot of scouts and teams that he is a solidified LT at this point in his college career. You don't hear this a lot when it comes to the LT spot(or any OL position for that matter), but Britton is a very raw prospect. He's extremely athletic though, and I think if he were to stay, then he could possibly be a Top 20 pick next season.

Scott Wright
12-21-2008, 01:40 PM
So fringe first; is that a final projection or a 'before workouts if the draft was today' projection?

Best-case scenario, if everything goes perfect and he kills it in workouts, MAYBE Top 20. I think there is a better chance he falls into round two though because he's not going to be a workout wonder. He isn't even a sure-fire left tackle.

SuperKevin
12-21-2008, 01:50 PM
To me what stands out most in Britton's game is his intelligence. He was not called for a penalty all year. That's a really huge accomplishment which shows that he doesn't get beat much and have to result to holding. After watching some of the dreadful OL play in the NFL this year with all the penalties being called, that's going to be a very attractive quality come draft day.

Smokey Joe
12-21-2008, 01:50 PM
What makes you doubt his ability to play LT? His skill set seems to indicate LT, and he seems to have the footwork needed.

Race for the Heisman
12-21-2008, 02:30 PM
Best-case scenario, if everything goes perfect and he kills it in workouts, MAYBE Top 20. I think there is a better chance he falls into round two though because he's not going to be a workout wonder. He isn't even a sure-fire left tackle.

I appreciate getting your perspective but I'm kind of in Smokey's corner on this one. If he's not a left tackle, what is he, given that he isn't exactly a road grader in the running game? He's kind of tall for a guard.

Babylon
12-21-2008, 02:37 PM
I appreciate getting your perspective but I'm kind of in Smokey's corner on this one. If he's not a left tackle, what is he, given that he isn't exactly a road grader in the running game? He's kind of tall for a guard.

To me he looks more natural at left tackle than Andre Smith does.

Race for the Heisman
12-21-2008, 04:35 PM
To me he looks more natural at left tackle than Andre Smith does.

Like I said, I'm with you. Very intelligent, very agile, great hands, not especially strong in the run game. He screams left tackle to me.

bored of education
12-21-2008, 05:15 PM
HE looked solid in the Bowl game yesterday. I think he is a 35-50 type pick. He is a very solid LT prospect.

Scott Wright
12-22-2008, 01:21 PM
Sorry it took me so long to reply, I've been away from the computer watching games.

Britton is a very good pass protector and very mobile, although he isn't super stout and will get pushed back at times. My problem lies in his run blocking, which is rather average. In fact, if you taped it go back and watch the B.Y.U. game from the other night and tell me how many times they even ran his way.

As I have said, Britton is a very good player and a Day One pick if he comes out this year but he isn't going to be one of the Top 4 players at his position.

iBoldin
12-22-2008, 01:24 PM
Sorry it took me so long to reply, I've been away from the computer watching games.

Britton is a very good pass protector and very mobile, although he isn't super stout and will get pushed back at times. My problem lies in his run blocking, which is rather average. In fact, if you taped it go back and watch the B.Y.U. game from the other night and tell me how many times they even ran his way.

As I have said, Britton is a very good player and a Day One pick if he comes out this year but he isn't going to be one of the Top 4 players at his position.

Can the same be said about Jason Smith though? He looks a little more stout in pass protection, but really, how many times has Baylor even ran the football this year? I like Jason Smith, but I think he tends to get overrated as well, kind of like Britton right now.

Scott Wright
12-22-2008, 01:27 PM
Can the same be said about Jason Smith though? He looks a little more stout in pass protection, but really, how many times has Baylor even ran the football this year? I like Jason Smith, but I think he tends to get overrated as well, kind of like Britton right now.

With Smith that is in large part due to Baylor's offense. They just aren't a running team.

EDIT: And Smith is light-year's ahead of Britton as an athlete.

Race for the Heisman
12-22-2008, 01:54 PM

If we can agree for a moment that he'll be picked after both Smiths, Monroe, and Oher, I think I could agree with your fringe first projection, assuming that Oher goes where you have him projected (mid-first). Do you feel that could change if all four of the top tackles were gone after the first ten picks?

SuperKevin
12-22-2008, 01:56 PM
With Smith that is in large part due to Baylor's offense. They just aren't a running team.

EDIT: And Smith is light-year's ahead of Britton as an athlete.

Yeah Britton's a good athlete but Smith was a Tight End so I can't argue with that statement.

Scott Wright
12-22-2008, 02:04 PM
In my opinion Eben Britton is a less-experienced Sam Baker, who most were very surprised to see go in the early-twenties last year.

Are there scenarios where Britton could move into the Top 20? Sure. Anything can happen. Although based on what I've seen and people I've talked to he is closer to the second round than he is to the Top 20.

Babylon
12-22-2008, 02:27 PM
In my opinion Eben Britton is a less-experienced Sam Baker, who most were very surprised to see go in the early-twenties last year.

Are there scenarios where Britton could move into the Top 20? Sure. Anything can happen. Although based on what I've seen and people I've talked to he is closer to the second round than he is to the Top 20.

Britton seems a lot more agile than Baker, who is basically a great technician with limited athletic ability. Britton is very agile to me with long arms and good feet. Not sure what would be the definition of a good athlete for that postition if that isnt it.

If he's there at the top of the second round for teams like Detroit, St Louis or Seattle that would be a steal in my opinion and allow those teams to go in differant directions earlier.

Scott Wright
12-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Hmm, Britton isn't even in a certain someone's Top 32 anymore...

illmatic74
12-22-2008, 06:49 PM
Hmm, Britton isn't even in a certain someone's Top 32 anymore...He is the Mitt Romney of draftniks.

Babylon
12-22-2008, 09:09 PM

You scared the guy into changing his mind.

RaiderNation
12-22-2008, 10:56 PM
If he declares I could see him as the 3rd or 4th OT taken. So he would probably be a mid/late 1st rounder. If he stays, he could be the 1st OT taken next year

ThePudge
12-22-2008, 11:29 PM
Right now I would say I'm with Scott, or more with Scott, than with those proclaiming him to be Joe Thomas. I like him easily more than I liked Sam Baker a year ago, who I thought was better suited inside at Left Guard in the NFL. Britton, I feel, is a bit more athletic, agile, with longer arms and more upside as a left tackle. Still, Scott is right in saying he has yet to establish himself in the run game. He's not as strong, nor is he as athletic as say Jason Smith, and thus has proven less and may have less upside as a driving run-blocker.

I think he would do just fine as a Left Tackle in the NFL, with the potential to be a very good one. I think ideally he should be playing Left Tackle in a Zone Blocking Scheme (see Green Bay Packers 2nd Round pick).

He sits at #29 on my latest board with the potential to move either up or down.

Solomon
12-22-2008, 11:43 PM

Agreed. As far as I'm concerned Russell Okung is the second best junior OT available for the draft. He gets a better push, finishes his blocks and plays with a mean streak.

Babylon
12-23-2008, 01:29 PM
He is the Mitt Romney of draftniks.

Are you trying to say he's clueless?

illmatic74
12-23-2008, 01:31 PM
Are you trying to say he's clueless?I am saying he is a flip flopper.

Larry121283
12-23-2008, 01:32 PM
He is getting WAY overrated. He's MAYBE a fringe first rounder in 2009.

Could he be one of the Top 3 senior offensive tackles heading into next year? Sure. However, at this point scouts aren't even sure he's a left tackle.

Very much agree here.

Britton's hype is getting way overblown. I don't think he'd be a first rounder this year. I, myself, would take at least take five tackles before him and definitely 2 guards before I'd even consider Britton. He is in that next tier. And, depending on what I am looking for, there might be a few players I'd still take a head of them. It'd depend on what I saw live and in person during workouts and what I think I can make him. If I'm running a zone blocking scheme, I might go with a Troy Kropog, for example. Not sure. But I do think Britton is getting really overrated right now.

RaiderFan
12-23-2008, 07:02 PM
He does have a penalty this year vs Oregon state in the 1st quarter Offsides. I guess ignorance is bliss.

This guy's hype train is getting ridiculous, he needs to stay in school i don't trust the guy in pass blocking and i'm not impressed with his run blocking. He doesn't appear to be the most intelligent player.

But i would take him in round 2 or 3 and wait for him to develop.

Babylon
12-23-2008, 07:12 PM
He does have a penalty this year vs Oregon state in the 1st quarter Offsides. I guess ignorance is bliss.

This guy's hype train is getting ridiculous, he needs to stay in school i don't trust the guy in pass blocking and i'm not impressed with his run blocking. He doesn't appear to be the most intelligent player.

But i would take him in round 2 or 3 and wait for him to develop.

I don't think he's given up a sack all year so not sure why you wouldnt trust him as a pass blocker, or are you just used to holding calls as a Raider fan and look for that in a prospect?

CC.SD
12-23-2008, 09:28 PM

They're on to you Scott. You deserve a spot on one of these shows. For years now your accuracy and analysis have been balls to the wall.

sbh15
12-23-2008, 10:11 PM
They're on to you Scott. You deserve a spot on one of these shows. For years now your accuracy and analysis have been balls to the wall.

I'd rather see almost anyone than the elvin-creature Todd McShay. He severely annoys me.

twizbuck
12-23-2008, 10:32 PM
LOL http://stlsportsinsider.com/Images/McShay_Todd.jpg LOL

I have liked what I've seen from ESPN's scouting reports this year though.

We need to find a way to get him fired... why don't they talk to Mel Kiper anymore? Did he piss in Bodeneheimer's Flutie Flakes?

illmatic74
12-23-2008, 11:01 PM
I'd rather see almost anyone than the elvin-creature Todd McShay. He severely annoys me.He doesn't have conviction in any ranking he makes. It seems like he just sees what Kiper, Mayock, Wright do and changes accordingly.