PDA

View Full Version : Post-Week 10 Draft Thoughts

Geo
11-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Share and/or comment.

Two guys who suffered a foot injury earlier this season and don't look as fully explosive since imo: Ohio State RB Beanie Wells and Auburn DT Sen'Derrick Marks.

I've become very impressed with DT Fili Moala this season, which actually says something given my thoughts on him during the offseason. He doesn't have any numbers to show for it, but he comes very quick starting with his first step and works tenaciously afterwards. A one-gap defense as he plays in at Southern Cal would be ideal, and I freely admit I'd be glad to see the Colts draft him (which would mean he passes any potential character concerns).

Among senior wide receivers, I think Demetrius Byrd of LSU just may be the best in terms of offering a deep/speed threat. Not crazy about Louis Murphy even if he runs a 4.3-something, honestly I liked former Gators receiver Bubba Caldwell (who the Bengals drafted at the end of the 3rd round last year) more than I do him.

The more I see MLB James Laurinaitis, the less enthused about him I become, I'm sorry to say. Maybe we've become desensitized to him somewhat given his continued tenure at Ohio State, but honestly I was watching today's game at Northwestern hoping to see him stand out and came away disappointed in that regard. Perhaps playing with some really good DTs in front of him will let him shine somewhat, but that isn't a situation every team can boast.

RB Arian Foster is having a terribly disappointing senior season amidst the trainwreck that is Tennessee football this season, but I still think he's a good back and a team that now gets him in the 4th or 5th round or so can benefit for it. Especially the Giants if Brandon Jacobs leaves in free agency this offseason, I think he would be a great fit there.

On the opposite end of the RB spectrum: Iowa junior Shonne Greene ... late 1st round pick? To me he just might be. I like that he's a compact 230-lbs., has some quickness and even a little wiggle. What's surprises is that, even though he's a bit a bruiser, he's a pretty smooth runner. Reminds me of Michael Turner, I'd say. This kid can play.

I am eager to see how Wake Forest CB Alphonso Smith fares in the pre-Draft process, if and how much his 5' 9" or so height ultimately hurts him. He's as true a ball magnet as there is in college football, probably second to none in that regard. Smith is listed at 190 lbs. and should have an okay 40 time, yet might be another case of "if X was two or three inches taller, he'd be a Top 15 or 20 pick."

For all of the disappointment of this senior QB class, Graham Harrell and John Parker Wilson are two guys who have merited stronger consideration than previously thought this offseason, and I'm glad to see it in both cases.

SuperKevin
11-08-2008, 11:05 PM
I really like Alphonso Smith. He's my #2 CB right now. I don't care if he's short because his athleticism and instincts make up for it.

BeerBaron
11-08-2008, 11:14 PM
The more I see MLB James Laurinaitis, the less enthused about him I become, I'm sorry to say. Maybe we've become desensitized to him somewhat given his continued tenure at Ohio State, but honestly I was watching today's game at Northwestern hoping to see him stand out and came away disappointed in that regard. Perhaps playing with some really good DTs in front of him will let him shine somewhat, but that isn't a situation every team can boast.

I'm starting to see mocks where Aaron Curry goes before both Laurinaitis and Maualuga. Even some where Laurinaitis falls out of the first round.

This should be a lessen to all the college football players out there. If your going to be a sure fire first round pick if you come out as a junior, do so. The people who've hurt their stocks by coming back greatly outweigh the ones who boosted their stocks after their senior season.

CashmoneyDrew
11-09-2008, 12:01 AM
Arian Foster really screwed up by coming back this year.

Babylon
11-09-2008, 12:10 AM
One thing that stood out to me today was the USC defense. All those big names that have been nitpicked to death like Mays, Cushing and Rey Rey all were really flying to the ball. I think they all made a case to be top 20 picks.

Flyboy
11-09-2008, 01:42 AM
Michael Crabtree makes me a lil' erect in the pants.

Geo
11-09-2008, 10:56 AM
I'm starting to see mocks where Aaron Curry goes before both Laurinaitis and Maualuga. Even some where Laurinaitis falls out of the first round.

This should be a lessen to all the college football players out there. If your going to be a sure fire first round pick if you come out as a junior, do so. The people who've hurt their stocks by coming back greatly outweigh the ones who boosted their stocks after their senior season.
Laurinaitis can still be a first round pick, although the last few years, we don't tend to see many ILBs in the first round. Maybe not even more than one, if memory serves correct.

Scott and some others still hang onto the thought that he's a Top 5 or 10 pick, can't say I was in that boat. Though I would definitely rather have Laurinaitis than Maualuga, personally.

And as to your point BB, Jerod Mayo made an excellent decision to declare last year.

keylime_5
11-09-2008, 11:21 AM

I don't think James has hurt his stock. He's not gonna fall out of the first round, he's either a top 10 or top 15 pick. He played very well against Northwestern, but he's not as impressive as Willis or Hawk or Johnson were their senior seasons. Curry is really good, I think there's a good chance he could go first, he and Laurinaitis have a lot of versatility. Curry can play sam or will in a 4-3 or ILB in a 3-4; James can play OLB in a 4-3, MLB in a 4-3, or ILB in a 3-4. Both would play OLB in a tampa 2. I think Maualuga did hurt his stock though by coming back.

Race for the Heisman
11-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Just to chime in on the linebackers, I have both Curry and Spikes above Laurinaitis, but I do have Laurinaitis above Maualuga. Even so, I think all of them could merit selection in the first round. Cushing I just don't know what to do with. On one hand, he's darn good player. On the other hand, he doesn't always play up to his athleticism. And finally, he has injury concerns and he's the only prospect I know at the moment where steroid rumors actually make me think twice when I go to rank him. I just don't know with him.

Babylon
11-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Just to chime in on the linebackers, I have both Curry and Spikes above Laurinaitis, but I do have Laurinaitis above Maualuga. Even so, I think all of them could merit selection in the first round. Cushing I just don't know what to do with. On one hand, he's darn good player. On the other hand, he doesn't always play up to his athleticism. And finally, he has injury concerns and he's the only prospect I know at the moment where steroid rumors actually make me think twice when I go to rank him. I just don't know with him.

Of all the linebackers you mentioned i thought Cushing had the best game yesterday ( i didnt see Curry by the way), he was all over the field making big hits, great reads on plays, really looked like he did in his freshman and sophomore seasons. As for the steroid rumors, if they still persist, i don't like to bring something like that up without some proof. I dont think it's fair to put something out there on hearsay. As he pointed out, 'they test us every 3 weeks around here so it would be pretty hard to be taking steroids'.

As for Spikes he looks like a very lazy player and he was acting like a complete fool rolling on the ground against Georgia. I would stay away from him.

Race for the Heisman
11-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Of all the linebackers you mentioned i thought Cushing had the best game yesterday ( i didnt see Curry by the way), he was all over the field making big hits, great reads on plays, really looked like he did in his freshman and sophomore seasons. As for the steroid rumors, if they still persist, i don't like to bring something like that up without some proof. I dont think it's fair to put something out there on hearsay. As he pointed out, 'they test us every 3 weeks around here so it would be pretty hard to be taking steroids'.

As for Spikes he looks like a very lazy player and he was acting like a complete fool rolling on the ground against Georgia. I would stay away from him.

I suppose you (or rather Cushing has) have a point with the strict test, my only concern is that he is the only player where I have seen such huge fluctuation in physical shape after an injury. It's probably nothing and I should disregard it, but I know that every time I look at my rankings I'll go: "Why is he that high?"

Spikes: I did not catch the game against Georgia, but Florida did open up a can of whoop ass on Georgia and on whole I like his game a lot more that Laurinaitis or Maualuga. I suppose it is something to merit investigation, but it won't affect how I view the big picture in the short run.

Babylon
11-09-2008, 12:11 PM
I suppose you (or rather Cushing has) have a point with the strict test, my only concern is that he is the only player where I have seen such huge fluctuation in physical shape after an injury. It's probably nothing and I should disregard it, but I know that every time I look at my rankings I'll go: "Why is he that high?"

Spikes: I did not catch the game against Georgia, but Florida did open up a can of whoop ass on Georgia and on whole I like his game a lot more that Laurinaitis or Maualuga. I suppose it is something to merit investigation, but it won't affect how I view the big picture in the short run.

He wouldnt be the 1st guy that took a steroid after a procedure, that's the whole purpose of roids anyways. I havent seen any real fluctuaion in his appearance in a few years now. He was great last night against Cal.

Staubach12
11-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Just some random thoughts:

As thought, this QB class sucks hardcore. The worst in recent memory. The only things that can redeem it are the juniors. Specifically, Sam Bradford. Bradford is the best QB prospect I've seen since Peyton Manning.

This looks to be a pretty good WR class. Obviously Crabtree is a fantastic prospect. He's not Calvin Johnson, but he's a great prospect in his own right. Big, powerful, great routes, intelligent. He's ready to play in the NFL today.

The more I watch Harvin this year, the more his stock drops in my eyes. I loved him early but he's just not been impressing lately from what I've seen.

Several senior WRs have stepped up and really improved their stock this year. Juaquin Iglesias has risen up boards all year. He's impressive. Brandon Tate, obviously. While the injury hurt his stock, I still think scouts will rave about what tape they have. Demetrius Byrd has performed well despite having arguably the worst QB in D1 football. Mohamed Massaquoi has also improved his stock.

How about Andre Smith, eh? What a prospect he is. Anyone who doubts his ability as a tackle on the next level hasn't seen enough tape.

Not a fantastic OLB year. A few good prospects but no one really stands out.

On the other hand, this is a great year for MLBs. Laurinaitis is great, Maualuga is fantastic. I like Beckwith's range and Dannell Ellerbe remains a good prospect.

If he declares this year, I still have DJ Moore as my top corner this year. He is one fantastic player.

The gap between Moore and everyone else has shrinked at the safety position. Johnson has been great and the entire safety class has been impressing.

I don't know why Scott doesn't have Colt David on his top kickers list. He's my #1 kicker.

SuperKevin
11-09-2008, 12:47 PM
I don't know why Scott doesn't have Colt David on his top kickers list. He's my #1 kicker.[/list]

Isn't Colt David a junior?

Nevermind he's a senior

Babylon
11-09-2008, 01:16 PM
Just some random thoughts:

As thought, this QB class sucks hardcore. The worst in recent memory. The only things that can redeem it are the juniors. Specifically, Sam Bradford. Bradford is the best QB prospect I've seen since Peyton Manning.

This looks to be a pretty good WR class. Obviously Crabtree is a fantastic prospect. He's not Calvin Johnson, but he's a great prospect in his own right. Big, powerful, great routes, intelligent. He's ready to play in the NFL today.

The more I watch Harvin this year, the more his stock drops in my eyes. I loved him early but he's just not been impressing lately from what I've seen.

Several senior WRs have stepped up and really improved their stock this year. Juaquin Iglesias has risen up boards all year. He's impressive. Brandon Tate, obviously. While the injury hurt his stock, I still think scouts will rave about what tape they have. Demetrius Byrd has performed well despite having arguably the worst QB in D1 football. Mohamed Massaquoi has also improved his stock.

How about Andre Smith, eh? What a prospect he is. Anyone who doubts his ability as a tackle on the next level hasn't seen enough tape.

Not a fantastic OLB year. A few good prospects but no one really stands out.

On the other hand, this is a great year for MLBs. Laurinaitis is great, Maualuga is fantastic. I like Beckwith's range and Dannell Ellerbe remains a good prospect.

If he declares this year, I still have DJ Moore as my top corner this year. He is one fantastic player.

The gap between Moore and everyone else has shrinked at the safety position. Johnson has been great and the entire safety class has been impressing.

I don't know why Scott doesn't have Colt David on his top kickers list. He's my #1 kicker.

I agree on Massaquoi, to me he one of the most improved players i've seen this year.

Bradford and Peyton Mannning in the same sentence? sort of irrational exhuberance there if you ask me, he looks like he's starting to throw more three quarters than i remember during the beginning of the year. Really hard to judge B-12 Qbs they play almost a 7on 7 there.