PDA

View Full Version : Jared Cook

illmatic74
11-09-2008, 01:16 AM
Jared Cook where does he rank with the rest of the TE prospects.

SuperKevin
11-09-2008, 01:22 AM
He a solid recieving TE. I'm not so sure how good of a blocker he is though. MOTH can probably answer this a lot better

STARHEATHER
11-09-2008, 02:11 AM
in that second tier with coffman, pitta etc behind pettigrew and gresham. decent looking player. might be a higher pick in a normal class

etk
11-09-2008, 10:09 AM
VERY HIGH. Natural receiving TE that can stretch the defense up the seam, plus he has the size and frame to be a decent in-line blocker. I think he's in the same league as Gresham and the choice comes down to preference.

Cigaro
11-09-2008, 10:33 AM
He's a physical freak; 6'5, 240, 4.4 flat 40, 39.5 inch vertical.

You really can't surpass him when it comes to receiving. He's a natural receiver, where he started his collegiate career, and is too fast for linebackers, and too big for corners.

Ray Rychleski, regarded as one of the top tight end coaches while at Maryland, is working him on his blocking. He's alright now, and if he stays another year, will likely bulk up to about 250 and be a much better blocker.

If he comes out this year, probably a second rounder. Next year, first rounder.

AkiliSmith
11-09-2008, 11:02 AM
I think he'll declare. He hardly gets the ball in Spurrier's offense now, and teams will drool over his size and freak athleticism.

Cigaro
11-09-2008, 01:25 PM
I think he'll declare. He hardly gets the ball in Spurrier's offense now, and teams will drool over his size and freak athleticism.

You are aware of the fact that he is the leading receiver for South Carolina, and the second read after Kenny McKinley?

Maybe there needs to be a radical redefinition of 'hardly' if that describes Cook's impact on the offense.

AkiliSmith
11-09-2008, 02:23 PM
You are aware of the fact that he is the leading receiver for South Carolina, and the second read after Kenny McKinley?

Maybe there needs to be a radical redefinition of 'hardly' if that describes Cook's impact on the offense.
I mixed up Ed Dickson and Cook's stats

georgiafan
11-09-2008, 04:00 PM
He's the best receiving TE in the country in my eyes and he seems to be getting better every game.

M.O.T.H.
11-09-2008, 04:10 PM
He can become a 1st rounder as early as this upcoming draft, imo. He's going to test out extremely well....maybe even Vernon Davis like. Blocking umm yeah, it needs work. He runs hot and cold there but, much like the rest of the Gamecocks oline, he's not all that good. But the guy has shown the willingness to get in there and he has proven that he can put on good weight and strength w/ out losing any of his speed/explosiveness. He's an instant mismatch for any NFL team. At one point a lot of us fans thought he'd be the next Calvin Johnson...atleast at the combine. haha...but, then he put on a solid 20 pounds of muscle. But yeah he now runs at about 6'5 245, with enormous reliable hands, and 4.4-4.5 speed. The definition of freak...I see 1st round in his future. I DO think he'll be coming out also.

etk
11-09-2008, 06:59 PM

Yeah....early in the season he got a lot of balls on post patterns up the seam. He's not just a safety valve in their offense, that's for sure.

240 lbs? Really? I was thinking 250-260. If he isn't that size by now he easily could be by the time he plays his first pro game.

Larry121283
11-09-2008, 07:11 PM
Really, really good football player.

Got a crazy skill set.

2nd rounder today, some teams will think quite a bit higher, I am sure.

ElectricEye
11-09-2008, 07:14 PM
I remember hearing about that crazy 40 time a few years ago. He's more than that now. I would still like to see him bulk up a bit without loosing an edge speedwise. He has the frame to do it though.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
11-09-2008, 09:38 PM
If this kid truly is as good as you all say he is and runs a 4.4-4.5, why doesn't he play WR? Just like Vernon Davis, why isn't he playing WR? His talent is being wasted at TE.

SuperKevin
11-09-2008, 09:48 PM
If this kid truly is as good as you all say he is and runs a 4.4-4.5, why doesn't he play WR? Just like Vernon Davis, why isn't he playing WR? His talent is being wasted at TE.

Because David Boston proved the 250 lb WR doesn't work

M.O.T.H.
11-10-2008, 01:24 AM

He did move to WR for a short time but, wasnt nearly as effective (lot to do w/ QB) and the TE situation w/ out him was none to pretty either...so, he put on 20+ additional pounds. No LB or S can cover him, as a TE he is pretty much the ultimate weapon...and the Gamecocks have had a revolving door at QB, so he hasnt even been able to find an actual consistant role yet. He has all the makings of a perennial pro bowl type TE.

http://media.thestate.com/smedia/2008/08/29/02/557-2049.lead_art_horizontal.prod_affiliate.74.JPG

^BEAST^ :D

renegade
11-29-2008, 03:01 PM
http://www.thestate.com/591/story/599148.html

Freak Athlete, he said he ran a 4.37 40 yard dash and it seems like he is a high character guy.

Sniper
11-29-2008, 03:02 PM

Vernon Davis can block, something a lot of people forget is important when it comes to playing TE.

eagles
11-29-2008, 04:25 PM
I agree Vernon Davis is a physically gifted player who is underachieving

Scott Wright
11-29-2008, 06:16 PM
I have heard rumors he might declare.

Outstanding athlete with great speed.

Could be a Day One pick.

STARHEATHER
11-29-2008, 11:30 PM
i like his skills. problem is hes an invisible man in every game ive seen i coouldnt wait to see ared cook freaky te and they talk about him etc and he never does anything. and their offense is not good. hes just not nearly as productive in the pass game or the rush game as pettigrew or gresham. i dont see sub 4.4 speed out there. and he looks smallish. especially in comparison to gresahm/pettigrew.and hes not nearly as good a blocker nor does he have the huge frame and long arms. i just havent seen anything in games. he may be a bit faster but he doesnt have all the other te skills they have.

Staubach12
11-29-2008, 11:37 PM
i like his skills. problem is hes an invisible man in every game ive seen i coouldnt wait to see ared cook freaky te and they talk about him etc and he never does anything. and their offense is not good. hes just not nearly as productive in the pass game or the rush game as pettigrew or gresham. i dont see sub 4.4 speed out there. and he looks smallish. especially in comparison to gresahm/pettigrew.and hes not nearly as good a blocker nor does he have the huge frame and long arms. i just havent seen anything in games. he may be a bit faster but he doesnt have all the other te skills they have.

You obviously don't watch football. You just look at triangle numbers and make stuff up.

STARHEATHER
11-29-2008, 11:44 PM
i saw them vs florida. and vs. georgia. and vs clemson. he didnt really do anything. i tyhink i saw one big play in 3 games. he has 34 catches and 2 tds. i ust dont see the greatness on the field. and hes not helping their run game much. and i dont see the speed and my source has him way way above 4.4 est. i guess you could say that but the #s dont really back that up

Staubach12
11-29-2008, 11:56 PM
Cook is one of my favorite TE prospects. Maybe my favorite overall. He's fantastic as a receiver. He really caught my eye in that Vanderbilt game. He can be a better pro player than college IMHO because other than Mike Davis (who I really like), and Cook, and McKinley, they don't really have an offense to speak of. Smelly is not your ideal QB and Jamon Meredith is alright but the rest of that line is pretty bad. So, in an offense where he'll have more opportunity, I can see him flourishing

renegade
11-30-2008, 01:57 AM
Well he was benched versus Clemson for not trying.

http://www.thestate.com/gogamecocks/story/606116.html

Go_Eagles77
11-30-2008, 09:02 AM

Let the Vernon Davis comparisons continue.

Cigaro
11-30-2008, 10:35 AM
Cook is one of my favorite TE prospects. Maybe my favorite overall. He's fantastic as a receiver. He really caught my eye in that Vanderbilt game. He can be a better pro player than college IMHO because other than Mike Davis (who I really like), and Cook, and McKinley, they don't really have an offense to speak of. Smelly is not your ideal QB and Jamon Meredith is alright but the rest of that line is pretty bad. So, in an offense where he'll have more opportunity, I can see him flourishing

Any reason? He couldn't run out of a paper bag.

Yep. Weslye Saunders stepped up pretty well in his place. This is first time for that, however.

Staubach12
11-30-2008, 12:01 PM
Any reason? He couldn't run out of a paper bag.

Well, let me clarify. By saying that, I don't mean I'd take him in the 1st or even that he'll be a starter. I like him as a change of pace runner. However, I like his consistency, flashes of power, and versatility as a blocker (where he is solid, but not fantastic) and a receiver (where he's actually fairly talented).

mav91
11-30-2008, 12:52 PM
Cook is a great prospect and the only reason his numbers aren't much better is because of awful qb play. You could stick him in any one of the more successful offenses in the country (Florida, Oklahoma,...etc) and he would flourish without a doubt and be a 1st rounder.

Cigaro
11-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Well, let me clarify. By saying that, I don't mean I'd take him in the 1st or even that he'll be a starter. I like him as a change of pace runner. However, I like his consistency, flashes of power, and versatility as a blocker (where he is solid, but not fantastic) and a receiver (where he's actually fairly talented).

He's far from consistent. Sometimes he want's to play, sometimes he doesn't. During our losing stretch last year, he was on the punt protection team, and twice let a guy run past him and block the punt, putting up no effort to block him. He's no longer on the punt protection team if you're wondering.

Also his vision is subpar. Occasionally our line has actually opened up a hole, and he's completely missed it. Usually he runs wherever the play is set to run, and if it's open he hits, and if it isn't, he still hits it. No cutback or looking for another hole in him.

And he's not a bad receiver, but he's nothing special.

Overall, he's made some plays for us, but has shown nothing to prove he can play at the next level. And I've watched him since he started as a true freshman because Cory Boyd was suspended.

And mav, he actually has pretty good numbers, although his touchdown receptions are a bit low. 35 receptions for 550 yards is pretty good for a tight end.

Staubach12
12-01-2008, 03:32 PM
He's far from consistent. Sometimes he want's to play, sometimes he doesn't. During our losing stretch last year, he was on the punt protection team, and twice let a guy run past him and block the punt, putting up no effort to block him. He's no longer on the punt protection team if you're wondering.

Also his vision is subpar. Occasionally our line has actually opened up a hole, and he's completely missed it. Usually he runs wherever the play is set to run, and if it's open he hits, and if it isn't, he still hits it. No cutback or looking for another hole in him.

And he's not a bad receiver, but he's nothing special.

Overall, he's made some plays for us, but has shown nothing to prove he can play at the next level. And I've watched him since he started as a true freshman because Cory Boyd was suspended.

And mav, he actually has pretty good numbers, although his touchdown receptions are a bit low. 35 receptions for 550 yards is pretty good for a tight end.

I also was not impressed with his vision from watching him, and I didn't really watch him on special teams. In pass-blocking I found him to be fairly solid. So, I like him because he's alright overall. He follows the play's design a bit too much when a breakdown happens, but I still think he can be successful in the NFL.