PDA

View Full Version : Mark Clayton a bust?

steelersfan43
11-10-2008, 12:03 AM
Is it finally safe to call this guy a bust? He was picked 22nd overall in 05, and these are his career stats.
http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/6987/markclaytonuw8.th.png (http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?image=markclaytonuw8.png)http://img222.imageshack.us/images/thpix.gif Click on it for a bigger view, why the heck is this text blue? (http://g.imageshack.us/thpix.php)

what do you think?

Shane P. Hallam
11-10-2008, 12:06 AM
I think you are a bust eggs

Dr. Gonzo
11-10-2008, 12:07 AM

Agreed. Eggs joined the forum in 2006, is it finally time to label him a bust?

steelersfan43
11-10-2008, 12:07 AM

The system is what is holding me back, I need a trade if im going to live up to my potential.

Menardo75
11-10-2008, 12:09 AM
The system is what is holding me back, I need a trade if im going to live up to my potential.

You are a bust for sure. When will you ever live up to your potential?

Shane P. Hallam
11-10-2008, 12:13 AM
But honestly, Mark Clayton is a UDFA after this season. I'd really like to see him go elsewhere and see what he does.

Menardo75
11-10-2008, 12:21 AM
We would be a really good fit for the Colts.

steelersfan43
11-10-2008, 12:24 AM
We would be a really good fit for the Colts.

Really we would? I always wanted to play in the pros. lets sign up for a tryout first thing in the morning!

Menardo75
11-10-2008, 12:30 AM
Really we would? I always wanted to play in the pros. lets sign up for a tryout first thing in the morning!

Haha my bad. I would not be a good fit in Indy not very quick out of my breaks. Mark would be a good fit though.

d34ng3l021
11-10-2008, 12:32 AM
I wanted him over Roddy White pretty badly. Phew.

Crickett
11-10-2008, 01:00 AM

You'd think it would be awesome, but it doesn't work out so well in practice. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xz2QNHi7aPE) :(

tjsunstein
11-10-2008, 01:02 AM
I wouldnt say bust but he hasnt performed to where he was picked. He's an average reciever. I'm interested in seeing where he goes and what he does next year.

WRs picked in the 2005 draft:
Braylon Edwards - Stud, once he catches the ball.
Troy Williamson - Fast but never caught the ball. Bust.
Mike Williams - LOL. Bust
Matt Jones - Good Reciever. Only if he could escape the law like he does defenders on third down.
Mark Clayton - Average
Roddy White - Stud.
Reggie Brown - Eh.
Mark Bradley - Eh.
Roscoe Parrish - Eh.
Terrence Murphy - No. I hated this pick and still do.
Vincent Jackson - Progressing nicely this year. Solid #2.. future #1 WR, as long as Gates is #1 target.
Courtney Roby - I'd say bust. Titans arent very good at scouting WRs.
Chris Henry - Anyone think the law is gonna investigate this just for mentioning him?
Brandon Jones - See Courtney Roby.

ChezPower4
11-10-2008, 01:38 AM
It's easy to label Clayton a bust but i blame the coaching. I'd like to see what he'll do on another team and then I'll be able to tell whether or not Clayton is a bust. He could do well with another team IMO.

Gay Ork Wang
11-10-2008, 01:46 AM
I blame the QB. Seriously though, who was a QB for the Ravens that actually did something

tjsunstein
11-10-2008, 01:57 AM
I blame the QB. Seriously though, who was a QB for the Ravens that actually did something

When has the Qb really needed to? They run and play D. Trent Dilfer..

Gay Ork Wang
11-10-2008, 01:58 AM
i meant did something for Clayton

tjsunstein
11-10-2008, 02:05 AM
i meant did something for Clayton

True. He needs to go to a more balanced offense. Anyone else see him in a Dolphins uniform next year?

Geo
11-10-2008, 02:07 AM
But honestly, Mark Clayton is a UDFA after this season. I'd really like to see him go elsewhere and see what he does.
He signed a five-year rookie deal as a first round pick in '05, so he should be an UFA after next season. Unless the Ravens cut him this offseason or there is some kind of opt out deal in the contract.

I fancy Menardo's idea of him to the Colts though. I wouldn't mind seeing them bring in a guy who hasn't fully panned out elsewhere but could find success in Indy, at a relatively cheap contract, as opposed to spending another high pick there. Wayne, Clark, and Gonzalez deserve the lion's share of the targets I think, so a servicable secondary option like a David Patten or a Lance Moore could work. The Giants found a really good looking youngster in Domenik Hixon, who actually came up with the Broncos if memory serves correct.

Then again I could see some teams interested in Clayton if he became available. Off the top of my head, St. Louis could use an experienced guy to follow Torry Holt (FA after '09) to pair with Donnie Avery and whoever else they have at the time. If this past offseason market for wide receivers showed us, there's bound to be some interest and likely some dollars for Clayton after the '09 season.

Gay Ork Wang
11-10-2008, 06:39 AM
Yea Hixon was the one on the Broncos that Everett tried to tackle

SeanTaylorRIP
11-10-2008, 09:08 AM
Clayton would be a good slot receiver but he is not that good. Runs inconsistent routes, has the dropsies, and isn't a vertical threat.

Jughead10
11-10-2008, 09:32 AM
I fancy Menardo's idea of him to the Colts though. I wouldn't mind seeing them bring in a guy who hasn't fully panned out elsewhere but could find success in Indy, at a relatively cheap contract, as opposed to spending another high pick there. Wayne, Clark, and Gonzalez deserve the lion's share of the targets I think, so a servicable secondary option like a David Patten or a Lance Moore could work. The Giants found a really good looking youngster in Domenik Hixon, who actually came up with the Broncos if memory serves correct.

The difference with Hixon is that he was let go WAY to early. He didn't even hit the halfway mark of his second season before he was cut. He also was als screwed up a bit in the head because of what happened to Kevin Everett.

Ravens1991
11-10-2008, 09:47 AM
he had a nice 2nd year, 67 catches for a 14 YPC. But he fell off. He is inconsistent. I think he can be a decent #2, he had a great game against CLE and a OK game against HOU. His problem is he is the same player as Mason just not as good. I think he can be a decent #2 or good #3.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-10-2008, 09:50 AM
I mean I guess you can say same as Mason because of size, but Mason is a far superior route runner, superior hands, and Mason is one of the best after the catch this decade.

Ravens1991
11-10-2008, 09:53 AM
yea I mean they are the same style, a short guy who can work in a WCO etc. Its just that Mason is better in every aspect of the game.

bored of education
11-10-2008, 09:54 AM

I agree!!!

PackerLegend
11-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Terrence Murphy - No. I hated this pick and still do.

Wow the dude got hurt because of Dookie and didnt want to end up paralysed so he ended his career short. He showed flashes in very very limited time. Should be more like N/A because his career was over before it started.

BmoreBlackByrdz
11-10-2008, 04:33 PM
I think he is Derrick Mason Verision2. I swear when Mason came out of the Houston game due to that injury, Clayton made some plays that I was used to seeing from Mason, it was as if we never even lost D-Mase, I think if we keep him long enough until D-Mase leaves, he could at the best, be a poor mans D-Mase. Plus Flacco already has meshed with Mason and will always be looking for him as his #1. I still think Baltimore needs to bring in a guy who can put up solid numbers consistently, someone like Crabtree or Maclin.

Ravens1991
11-10-2008, 04:41 PM
I want DHB, giving Flacco a vertical threat who can jump like DHB w/ his height is a scary thought. No more deep passes to Clayton or Mason when that isn't there strong point.

BmoreBlackByrdz
11-10-2008, 04:46 PM
True, we all know that a 5-11'' WR isnt going to have the upper hand in most of those throws. Heyward-Bey is more of a project at WR but then again I havent seen much of him, I would rather have a WR who can dominate at all aspects of the game, slant routes, curls, deep ball, great hands, strong and fast. Crabtree fits the bill but he will probably be gone at our pick but I wouldn't mind Heyward-Bey if it comes down to him.