PDA

View Full Version : Wildcat

Gay Ork Wang
11-10-2008, 01:28 AM
Im amazed how fast so many teams started to use it. U know Miami has success but u see ATL, PHI and the Chiefs all using it, which is pretty funny.

What do people think about it?

fenikz
11-10-2008, 01:29 AM
Quan at QB with Arrington and Hightower in the back field and Fitz, Breaston, & Warner split wide

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ChezPower4
11-10-2008, 01:33 AM
This formation has proven to be very hard to defend if they have the right players running it. I wish the Pack had the personnel to run the wildcat. Let go Ryan Grant and Jordyzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

d34ng3l021
11-10-2008, 01:34 AM
It is just a matter of time before teams learn to defend it. Vick and the Falcons used the option at the beginning of 2 seasons ago and started the season with a string of 200+ rushing games, and later in the season, defenses figured it out.

Same should go for this. As soon as 1 team figures it out, other teams are going to start copying it.

djp
11-10-2008, 01:34 AM
I'd love to see the Vikings give it a shot with Peterson, Taylor, Allison, and Berrian.

Shane P. Hallam
11-10-2008, 01:38 AM
Don't forget Baltimore with Troy Smith!

BlindSite
11-10-2008, 01:44 AM
It got used some by Carolina in 06 when Delhomme missed a couple of games with a thumb injury.

This was when Dan Henning was the OC.

Gay Ork Wang
11-10-2008, 01:45 AM
It is just a matter of time before teams learn to defend it. Vick and the Falcons used the option at the beginning of 2 seasons ago and started the season with a string of 200+ rushing games, and later in the season, defenses figured it out.

Same should go for this. As soon as 1 team figures it out, other teams are going to start copying it.
Well Balitmore stopped it. I think the Wildcat is just a lot harder to defend, if u look at what u have, just the slightest overpersue or just a wrong reaction can lead to big chunks of yardage

NDfootball
11-10-2008, 01:46 AM
Jets have been using it with Brad Smith too. I like it as a novelty play, if you break it out like 3-5 times in a game it should be fairly effective.

ElectricEye
11-10-2008, 01:47 AM
People are going to figure out ways to defend it...and it's not dependable enough to keep going back to if people have it figured out.

d34ng3l021
11-10-2008, 01:50 AM
Well Balitmore stopped it. I think the Wildcat is just a lot harder to defend, if u look at what u have, just the slightest overpersue or just a wrong reaction can lead to big chunks of yardage

Yeah. The amount of talent you have is definitely important, but as soon as the defense sees the Wildcat, the defense is going to be taking on different responsibilities. I dont think defenses know about that responsibility, but I am sure teams will attempt to copy what Baltimore did. It takes a lot of discipline to stop it.

Gay Ork Wang
11-10-2008, 01:50 AM
People are going to figure out ways to defend it...and it's not dependable enough to keep going back to if people have it figured out.
its not a formation that can be used regulary, but it could be a trick play that will be more used than the flea flicker and reverses

tjsunstein
11-10-2008, 02:01 AM
This formation has proven to be very hard to defend if they have the right players running it. I wish the Pack had the personnel to run the wildcat. Let go Ryan Grant and Jordyzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I really do think Jordy would be pretty good back there. I want someone really versatile so we can run it too.

Shane P. Hallam
11-10-2008, 02:01 AM
Who is drafting Tebow to run it :D

tjsunstein
11-10-2008, 02:04 AM
Who is drafting Tebow to run it :D

If hes there when we pick I wouldnt mind some one who could play QB/RB/TE/WR/DE/LB/S

DragonFireKai
11-10-2008, 02:21 AM
I think the success of the Wildcat is a testament to the lack of intelligence on the defensive side of the ball in the modern game.

Caddy
11-10-2008, 03:46 AM
The Buccaneers have used it a few times too.

yourfavestoner
11-10-2008, 04:01 AM
We actually run it a little bit on the high school team I coach. Schematically, it gives you an advantage over the defense because you have an equal number of blockers for defenders. Usually, on running plays the offense is outmanned, because the quarterback isn't a factor in the play at all. In the Wildcat, he absolutely is.

wicket
11-10-2008, 04:44 AM
the baltimore wildcat with troy smith is the awesomest wildcat though cause they keep a good passing option in there as well, its not like you are snapping the ball to sproles where you just know for certain its gonna be a run, i love it

Burns336
11-10-2008, 04:46 AM
I want the Cowboys to incorporate it using Isaiah Stanback. He's supposedly extremely athletic and he also poses more of a passing threat than what any of the other teams using the formation currently have (except Baltimore).

I still can't figure out why this wasn't brought to life for the Brad Johnson era. It would have been nice to at least see some creativity in a time of desperation.

SeanTaylorRIP
11-10-2008, 09:13 AM
the baltimore wildcat with troy smith is the awesomest wildcat though cause they keep a good passing option in there as well, its not like you are snapping the ball to sproles where you just know for certain its gonna be a run, i love it

Yup that is the best. Troy Smith threw a 25 yard TD to Heap yesterday out of it. Smith is a dangerous rushing threat. Put him with Mcgahee back there and defending the option alone is tough. Then consider Smith can pull it back and throw, then you are truly forced to not only commit to the run like you can to th e Dolphins. And just the fact that Flacco is out there the defense pays attention to him, and Flacco can actually catch. Yesterday they had it set up perfectly. Troy Swung it out to Flacco in the flats. Flacco tossed it back across the field to Troy who had blockers rolling in front of him. Flacco's throw was low and Troy couldn't catch it but he had 40 yards of open field and 3 O-lineman leading the way. He probably would have taken it to the house. It adds a lot of the dimension to the Ravens offense, but should only be run 5-7 times a game. It's really different with Baltimore because of the passing threat. The QB Troy Smith can throw it. Out wide Flacco can throw it. And if you focus it on those two on the other side Mark Clayton has a great arm and has thrown a couple trick plays in his career.

Dam8610
11-10-2008, 09:18 AM
The Patriots tried a wildcat against the Colts for 2 snaps, they were successful on one of them. Honestly, all it will take for a team to shut it down is a smart team that can maintain gap integrity and play assignment football. If everyone covers their assignments, it should be easily stoppable. That said, Miami seems to have a very intriguing setup for it, and it keeps working for them...it would be interesting to see them draft Tebow to keep that offensive scheme. If they did that, they could have at least 3 different guys lining up at QB, maybe even more.

bored of education
11-10-2008, 09:53 AM
Get Rid Of Teh Qb Position!!!

draftguru151
11-10-2008, 10:18 AM
The actual "wild cat" hasn't worked for the Dolphins since the first few weeks. The jet sweep type plays with Pennington at QB and Ricky coming in motion worked decently well, and yesterday we were using a normal shot gun formation with Ronnie at QB and Ricky and Cobbs next to him and basically ran an option read/triple option type look out of it. We keep adding new things and those work, but the actual Arkansas wild cat doesn't work much at all now that teams have seen it.

ShutDwn
11-10-2008, 10:22 AM
I just think it is funny how so many commentators act like the Dolphins invented the play.

TimD
11-10-2008, 10:46 AM
I just think it is funny how so many commentators act like the Dolphins invented the play.

oh i know. I know the Jets had been doing similar plays with Brad Smith since he's been drafted, and other teams have done so for years before that. I just wish the Jets used it a bit more.

Jvig43
11-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Bills lined up in it against the Pats yesterday on a few plays.

diabsoule
11-10-2008, 11:09 AM
The actual "wild cat" hasn't worked for the Dolphins since the first few weeks. The jet sweep type plays with Pennington at QB and Ricky coming in motion worked decently well, and yesterday we were using a normal shot gun formation with Ronnie at QB and Ricky and Cobbs next to him and basically ran an option read/triple option type look out of it. We keep adding new things and those work, but the actual Arkansas wild cat doesn't work much at all now that teams have seen it.

That would be the "Wild' hog, sir.

diabsoule
11-10-2008, 11:10 AM
Yup that is the best. Troy Smith threw a 25 yard TD to Heap yesterday out of it. Smith is a dangerous rushing threat. Put him with Mcgahee back there and defending the option alone is tough. Then consider Smith can pull it back and throw, then you are truly forced to not only commit to the run like you can to th e Dolphins. And just the fact that Flacco is out there the defense pays attention to him, and Flacco can actually catch. Yesterday they had it set up perfectly. Troy Swung it out to Flacco in the flats. Flacco tossed it back across the field to Troy who had blockers rolling in front of him. Flacco's throw was low and Troy couldn't catch it but he had 40 yards of open field and 3 O-lineman leading the way. He probably would have taken it to the house. It adds a lot of the dimension to the Ravens offense, but should only be run 5-7 times a game. It's really different with Baltimore because of the passing threat. The QB Troy Smith can throw it. Out wide Flacco can throw it. And if you focus it on those two on the other side Mark Clayton has a great arm and has thrown a couple trick plays in his career.

Skins could run it with Antwaan Randle-El lined up at QB.

Sniper
11-10-2008, 11:13 AM
DeSean Jackson wins.

doingthisinsteadofwork
11-10-2008, 11:19 AM
I think its stupid how E!SPN gives credit to Miami for using it first when it was Oakland who used it first against Denver.

Gay Ork Wang
11-10-2008, 11:37 AM
well they sucked with it and Miami got 5 TDs with 5 Wildcat Plays againts New England, so i guess they give credit to the one who succeeded first

A Perfect Score
11-10-2008, 12:01 PM
I think its stupid how E!SPN gives credit to Miami for using it first when it was Oakland who used it first against Denver.

lets be perfectly honest...with the franchise in the state its in, no one is going to be giving Oakland credit for anything, besides the assasination of Al Davis...:D

CJSchneider
11-10-2008, 12:11 PM
It's really not that hard to control once you plan for it consistently. Like running it, defending requires a special skill set from the defense, especially your front 4 (running a 4-3).

Menardo75
11-10-2008, 03:12 PM
49ers have used it with Robinson at QB, with Gore and Battle next to him. Has not worked too well lol. I been waiting forever to see San Fran do a reverse pass to Battle or to Robinson, since they drafted them.

bored of education
11-10-2008, 03:13 PM
I remember when Red Grange used to run it.

GB12
11-10-2008, 03:49 PM
I thought it was pretty cool when Arkansas ran it with McFadden and early this season when the Dolphins used it, but now that everyone uses it I can't stand it.

tjsunstein
11-10-2008, 03:55 PM
I love it personally. It adds another dimension of excitement and anticipation to the game. When you have an, essentially, all world athlete behind center than you know that something big can happen in the next 8 seconds. I like the extra element it brings to the game today, not to mention it's fun to watch. I haven't seen my favorite team do it or it be done against my team nor have I seen it done live other than Desean last night but based on highlights it looks really explosive but defenses will figure it out in no time if everyone runs it. Enjoy it while you can.

doingthisinsteadofwork
11-10-2008, 04:10 PM
well they sucked with it and Miami got 5 TDs with 5 Wildcat Plays againts New England, so i guess they give credit to the one who succeeded first
You probably didn't watch the game.Althought they didn't use it to much, when they did run it, it proved that it could be effective in the NFL.

Gay Ork Wang
11-10-2008, 04:11 PM
You probably didn't watch the game.Althought they didn't use it to much, when they did run it, it proved that it could be effective in the NFL.
yea i didnt watch it, i just thought it wasnt as effective as the Dolphins

PoopSandwich
11-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Josh Cribbs at qb is AWESOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

scottyboy
11-10-2008, 04:27 PM
it was best when Troy Smith ran the option and gave it to Raymell Baby.

I have no clue who the Giants would use. Bradshaw, Manningham, Moss, Hixon, Ward? hmm

mqtirishfan
11-10-2008, 05:55 PM
Are we really going to give any modern team credit for what is essentially one of the oldest formations in football? It's almost exactly the single wing.

SuperMcGee
11-10-2008, 06:03 PM
Bills lined up in it against the Pats yesterday on a few plays.

We've done 1-3 times in most games, Freddy Jackson is decent out of it but no wrinkles in it for us.

Bengalsrocket
11-10-2008, 06:19 PM
Are we really going to give any modern team credit for what is essentially one of the oldest formations in football? It's almost exactly the single wing.

I don't think anyone here is really giving credit for it being created to any team, modern or not. I think they're giving credit to teams for reviving it and setting a trend.

tjsunstein
11-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Boldin just proved why he is one of the toughest receivers in the game out of the Wildcat. Worked well for a 10 yard rush.

Strongside
11-10-2008, 08:42 PM
I remember the Steelers did it in the preseason and I thought it was ******** and would never work in the NFL.

Oops.

Jvig43
11-10-2008, 08:43 PM
How many teams started the wildcat formation? Could i get a number? cause everyone else and their grandmother thinks their team started it hahaha.

BeerBaron
11-10-2008, 08:45 PM
I think the Bears should incorperate a package in general where Hester and Forte both start in the backfield.

Too bad Ron Turner doesn't know how to call anything but a.) run up the gut b.) screen pass to Hester and c.) out to Olsen. (Unless Rexy is at QB then he calls streaks by everyone.....ugh.)

Xonraider
11-10-2008, 09:01 PM

I don't think that was really wildcat bro. I think it was a regular shutgun set with McFadden at QB and Bush at RB and they did a simple option...

LonghornsLegend
11-10-2008, 09:03 PM
I don't think that was really wildcat bro. I think it was a regular shutgun set with McFadden at QB and Bush at RB and they did a simple option...

I think that's what people are interpreting it as, Ronnie Brown is playing QB and they run the option with him, it varies each time but essentially thats it, same thing Boldin and the Cardinals are using tonight.

Xonraider
11-10-2008, 09:03 PM
And what might be next.... Wing T in the NFL :O ... that would be awesome. To see a bucksweep or a rocket sweep or something . . .

Jvig43
11-10-2008, 09:33 PM
And what might be next.... Wing T in the NFL :O ... that would be awesome. To see a bucksweep or a rocket sweep or something . . .

NO! Those are like the ony two plays my high school team ran, that and trap. I was a fan of Rocket sweep tho. i got the ball.

Gay Ork Wang
11-11-2008, 07:28 AM
I think the Bears should incorperate a package in general where Hester and Forte both start in the backfield.

Too bad Ron Turner doesn't know how to call anything but a.) run up the gut b.) screen pass to Hester and c.) out to Olsen. (Unless Rexy is at QB then he calls streaks by everyone.....ugh.)
well, Rexy would kill Ron Turner with a pass into the booth upstairs if there werent at least 2 guys running a streak

giantsfan
11-11-2008, 07:49 AM
well, Rexy would kill Ron Turner with a pass into the booth upstairs if there werent at least 2 guys running a streak

The sex cannon really is a wmd.

tjsunstein
11-14-2008, 03:31 PM
the Cardinals are calling it the "Pahokee" offense in homage to Boldin's hometown

Joker_232
11-14-2008, 04:54 PM
it would be scary as hell to see Hester takin the direct snap. im sure its happened this year but i havent watched the bears very much

Turtlepower
11-14-2008, 04:58 PM
The sex cannon really is a wmd.

They should play "Sex Gun" by KISS whenever Sexy Rexy throws a deep pass.

RaiderNation
11-14-2008, 05:00 PM
I thought the raiders would use this more since McFadden has ran the system way more than any other player in the NFL. McFadden at QB and Fargas and Bush at RB, seems like it would be decent

Joker_232
11-14-2008, 05:03 PM
I thought the raiders would use this more since McFadden has ran the system way more than any other player in the NFL. McFadden at QB and Fargas and Bush at RB, seems like it would be decent

idk why they dont try it, its not like anything would be worse than what is going on right now.

i think they need to take advantage of Jamarcus' ability to throw the deep ball.

Gay Ork Wang
11-14-2008, 05:05 PM
it would be scary as hell to see Hester takin the direct snap. im sure its happened this year but i havent watched the bears very much
it hasnt cause Ron Turner sucks

Joker_232
11-14-2008, 05:13 PM
it hasnt cause Ron Turner sucks

haha well i see....

when you have a guy that does the things hester does with the ball in his hands i would do whatever it takes to get him the ball.

Gay Ork Wang
11-14-2008, 05:16 PM
haha well i see....

when you have a guy that does the things hester does with the ball in his hands i would do whatever it takes to get him the ball.
if it was me, id put the longsnapper in and just snap it to hester every play, basically all returns

Joker_232
11-14-2008, 05:41 PM
if it was me, id put the longsnapper in and just snap it to hester every play, basically all returns

haha thats a cleaver way of lookin at it. just get your athletes the ball and let em work.

gameplaya2435
11-14-2008, 05:41 PM
The Wildcat is just further proof that the NFL is a copycat league. And if defenses really do start spending time preparing for trick plays they'll see a couple times tops per game, then it's worked.

MetSox17
11-14-2008, 05:42 PM
And you would lose three yards every play

Joker_232
11-14-2008, 05:43 PM
The Wildcat is just further proof that the NFL is a copycat league. And if defenses really do start spending time preparing for trick plays they'll see a couple times tops per game, then it's worked.

if you have the athletes to run it why not?

Gay Ork Wang
11-14-2008, 05:46 PM
whats wrong with being a copycat?

gameplaya2435
11-14-2008, 06:00 PM
I'm not saying anything is wrong with the Wildcat, I'm saying if defenses start working on how to defend it during the week, that's taking away time to work on more important scenarios in a football game.

Menardo75
11-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Football is a copy cat game. The first thing my college coach told him is he put together his playbook, using stuff he saw from three of our rival teams.

ManOverboard
11-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Jets did it all the way back in 2003 with LaMont Jordan.

tjsunstein
11-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Jets did it all the way back in 2003 with LaMont Jordan.

Yeah? Well the Packers did it back in 1998 with some guy named Favre. :D
I really cant see LaMont doing much out of it besides having an extra split second to find a hole.

Zyro_1014
11-14-2008, 07:07 PM
Football is a copy cat game. The first thing my college coach told him is he put together his playbook, using stuff he saw from three of our rival teams.

thats what i would do. I would take a little bit out of every successful offense i could find.

I would run some spread offense and you have some of your pro style, lots of play action. dives and also have the stretch plays. and then im going to throw in the wildcat because if you have the athletes that can make plays....get em the ball.

Zyro_1014
11-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Yeah? Well the Packers did it back in 1998 with some guy named Favre. :D
I really cant see LaMont doing much out of it besides having an extra split second to find a hole.

anybody see the play against the patriots where Brad Smith Definately should have thrown the ball to Brett.

id do it just to say that i completed a pass to Brett Favre.

tjsunstein
11-14-2008, 07:10 PM
anybody see the play against the patriots where Brad Smith Definately should have thrown the ball to Brett.

id do it just to say that i completed a pass to Brett Favre.

haha true. I bet Brett would have caught it and taken it to the house too; if it was an absolutely perfect throw and there was no one around for 30 yards of course.

Zyro_1014
11-14-2008, 07:11 PM
haha true. I bet Brett would have caught it and taken it to the house too; if it was an absolutely perfect throw and there was no one around for 30 yards of course.

there is no doubt in my mind that brett would have caught it.

also have no doubt in my mind that he would try to truck someone and they would probably break his back in the process. lol

tjsunstein
11-14-2008, 07:12 PM
there is no doubt in my mind that brett would have caught it.

also have no doubt in my mind that he would try to truck someone and they would probably break his back in the process. lol

And still not miss a game..

Zyro_1014
11-14-2008, 07:18 PM
And still not miss a game..

haha yeah, i dont get how he does it. hes 40 years old and he still has what it takes to go out and play every week. i swear the guy is going to end up in a wheel chair for the rest of his life lol

BBIB
11-17-2008, 10:46 AM

Actually we just stopped using it.

BTW, the Wildcat is not the same thing as the simple one read college option play. It's much more difficult to stop. And of course you would never run that with your franchise QB because it requires the run up the gut.

awfullyquiet
11-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Actually we just stopped using it.

BTW, the Wildcat is not the same thing as the simple one read college option play. It's much more difficult to stop. And of course you would never run that with your franchise QB because it requires the run up the gut.

unless your franchise qb is tim tebow

MetSox17
11-17-2008, 02:23 PM

And if you make Tim Tebow your franchise quarterback in the first place, you deserve to be without one.

BBIB
11-19-2008, 05:07 PM

If would be stupid to even subject someone as big as Tebow to hits like that on a consistent basis.

If you're going to run that formation you have to use a guy who's a rotation skill position player or at least paid like one.

If you take someone like Pat White at the end of the 1st day It's a great idea. But Tebow is the type of guy who's going to demand 1st round money