PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Draft thread

dolfan
11-11-2008, 10:41 AM
1) Brian Orapko 6’4 260 LB Texas- Instant Starter at OLB, tough, physical, the next shawne merriman

2) Darius Butler 6’0 185 CB Connecticut- Fast and physical corner just like Bill & Co. Love. Starter opposite of Will Allen.

2) Demetrius Byrd 6’2 195 WR LSU- Excellent Hands and route running, Loves taking it in the middle. Great Compliment for Gin.

3) Dorell Scott 6’4 310 DT Clemson- Big Brick Wall 6’4 310 body that gives up a desperate back up to Jason Ferguson who’s already 35.

4) CJ Spillman 6’0 195 S Marshall- collected 131 Tackles his Jr.year, hard hitter and plays very good coverage. Excellent back up and Special Teams Player!!

5) Louis Vasquez 6’6 330 OG Texas Tech- Huge guy at 6’6 330. Provided great protection for the nation's leading passer, Graham Harrell ... offense averaged 40.9 points per game, the second-highest total in school history

7) Jackie Bates 5’11 180 CB Hampton- fast cover guy who provides us with Speed, also a hitter on special teams.

7)Maurice Wells 5’10 198 RB Ohio State- Veteran of OSU who has been an unsung contributor in the Buckeye offense ... a change of pace at tailback to Chris Wells ... has breakaway speed and can turn the corner in the blink of an eye ... gets a great burst up the middle ... has good hands. Perfect for Wildcat J

7) Reed Williams 6’2 230 ILB West Virginia- West Virginia’s starting middle linebacker for the second year after sharing the starting position at strong-side linebacker in 2006 … tough, physical linebacker who is very smart … also used on special teams

-Just random Facts-

* Darius Butler is from Broward County cousins with Willis McGahee
* Demetrius Byrd is from Miami Central High School
* Maurice Wells is from Jacksonville

What I like about this draft is that everyone is a PERFECT fit for our new team! They are all battle test proven, Experienced, and most of all SPECIAL TEAMS balers!!...

CashmoneyDrew
11-11-2008, 10:51 AM
Ummmm.... team forums?

bored of education
11-11-2008, 10:56 AM
A+++++++++, you should start your own website.

D-Rod
11-11-2008, 10:58 AM
it's not even that you're new...

dolfan
11-11-2008, 11:08 AM
im not stupid i just put here bc i know here it will get more views from more people then the TEAM FORUM.. and id like to get other peoples opinions

bored of education
11-11-2008, 11:13 AM
A+++++++++, you should start your own website.

happy dolfan? :D

Sniper
11-11-2008, 11:16 AM
Team forums FTW!

Sniper
11-11-2008, 11:18 AM
7)Maurice Wells 5’10 198 RB Ohio State- Veteran of OSU who has been an unsung contributor in the Buckeye offense ... a change of pace at tailback to Chris Wells ... has breakaway speed and can turn the corner in the blink of an eye ... gets a great burst up the middle ... has good hands. Perfect for Wildcat J

That's because he sucks.

3.84 yards per carry just doesn't do much for me, sorry.

Babylon
11-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Doubt that Orakpo is even going to be there when they pick, besides i think they're more than happy with what they're getting out of Matt Roth as that standup outside end. Would think they need help in the secondary or at WR.

thebow305
11-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Although I love the first couple picks, what is wrong with you man? Post this in the Team Forum. Nothing has changed here.

Race for the Heisman
11-11-2008, 01:59 PM
I laughed when I saw this under Mo Wells:

as breakaway speed and can turn the corner in the blink of an eye

And ballers has two l's unless you wanted a team of hay balers?

Pokeys
11-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Orakpo pick is great, and Safety CJ Spillman is a good one.

giantsfan
11-11-2008, 02:39 PM
Giants dream mock draft:
1st Round - Greg Hardy, DE, Ole Miss
Hardy is a great DE prospect who's off the field issues cause him to slide int he draft Reece sees a hard working kid who needs some structure and mentoring and adds this kid to our DE Corps.

2nd Round - Jason Meredith, OT/OG, USC
This quick footed young man could push Seubert for the start LG spot early and with some polish could eventual start at LT letting Diehl move to RT where his weakness with speed rushers would be less pronounced.

2nd Round - Patrick Chung, S, Oregon
Will battle Michael Johnson to play next to Kenny P. Unlike Johnson Chung can come up and support against the run without taking atrocious angles.

3rd Round - Terrance Taylor, NT, Michigan
Big strong NT who's stout and feisty, would really help our DT rotation stuff the run.

4th Round - Clay Matthews, OLB/DE
Matthews is a tough kid with good size and pass rush ability, will be kiwi's backup and a special teamer but should develop into yet another rotational pass rusher for us to attack QBs with.

5th Round - Brett Helms, C, LSU
Helms is small for an olineman but feisty and smart, under O'Hara's tutelage could eventually be our future at Center, letting us keep Snee at Guard.

5th Round - Brandon Ore, RB, West Liberty
Ore is a talented kid, but he's had some issues and that's cost him a lot already and will continue to cost him on draft day, with some polish he could fill the Derrick Ward role.

No clue from there who reece might like.

STARHEATHER
11-11-2008, 03:12 PM
i would say qb would be first and foremost in the plans. if theres no good possibility there, could use any defensive player. wr help should wait. theyre a lot more than a couple guys away. in preference order

1.qb
2.dl/olb
3.t
4.lb/db

Race for the Heisman
11-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Giants dream mock draft:
1st Round - Greg Hardy, DE, Ole Miss
Hardy is a great DE prospect who's off the field issues cause him to slide int he draft Reece sees a hard working kid who needs some structure and mentoring and adds this kid to our DE Corps.

2nd Round - Jason Meredith, OT/OG, USC
This quick footed young man could push Seubert for the start LG spot early and with some polish could eventual start at LT letting Diehl move to RT where his weakness with speed rushers would be less pronounced.

2nd Round - Patrick Chung, S, Oregon
Will battle Michael Johnson to play next to Kenny P. Unlike Johnson Chung can come up and support against the run without taking atrocious angles.

3rd Round - Terrance Taylor, NT, Michigan
Big strong NT who's stout and feisty, would really help our DT rotation stuff the run.

4th Round - Clay Matthews, OLB/DE
Matthews is a tough kid with good size and pass rush ability, will be kiwi's backup and a special teamer but should develop into yet another rotational pass rusher for us to attack QBs with.

5th Round - Brett Helms, C, LSU
Helms is small for an olineman but feisty and smart, under O'Hara's tutelage could eventually be our future at Center, letting us keep Snee at Guard.

5th Round - Brandon Ore, RB, West Liberty
Ore is a talented kid, but he's had some issues and that's cost him a lot already and will continue to cost him on draft day, with some polish he could fill the Derrick Ward role.

No clue from there who reece might like.

And in this scenario the Giants lose the rest of their games and go 8-8? I don't see how else you expect to land a guy like Hardy. Also, for my money, Meredith (that Jamon, FYI) is not worth a mid-second round pick.

Sniper
11-11-2008, 03:18 PM
i would say qb would be first and foremost in the plans. if theres no good possibility there, could use any defensive player. wr help should wait. theyre a lot more than a couple guys away. in preference order

1.qb
2.dl/olb
3.t
4.lb/db

They just took a QB in the second round this past year. Plus, Pennington is completing 66.5% of his passes and is playing relatively turnover-free.

Hollywood
11-11-2008, 10:20 PM
2) Demetrius Byrd 6’2 195 WR LSU- Excellent Hands Loves taking it in the middle.

This is a family site, can you clean that up a little bit?

nfcsouth25
01-16-2009, 11:21 PM
the dolphins need a secondary

dolphinfan2k5
01-16-2009, 11:24 PM
way to bump this for that post

Brown23
01-17-2009, 11:42 PM
the dolphins need a secondary

That's why I believe Miami will take Victor "Macho" Harris with our 2nd Round pick

thebow305
01-18-2009, 12:31 PM
That's why I believe Miami will take Victor "Macho" Harris with our 2nd Round pick

Or Sean Smith in the 1st. :)

JoeyJr09
01-19-2009, 07:45 PM
Or Sean Smith in the 1st. :)

He'll be around in the 2nd.

thebow305
01-20-2009, 10:02 AM
He'll be around in the 2nd.

I wouldn't be so sure about that.

ChefMike
01-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Pat White... he would be a great wildcat addition and could provide some depth at QB.... and GREAT athleticism to your offense. People are sleeping on his ability to play in the NFL but he is a winner in big games and has speed to burn..

BuffaloBillsFan
02-07-2009, 09:02 PM
Are you mental? What makes you think that Orakpo would get past Buffalo?

thebow305
02-08-2009, 01:45 PM
Are you mental? What makes you think that Orakpo would get past Buffalo?

Because Pettigrew will be available at 11. ;)

gouldo
02-09-2009, 04:52 AM
Because Pettigrew will be available at 11. ;)

I would be very surprised if Buffalo draft a TE with the 1st pick. I reckon they will pick Everett Brown in the 1st & Chase Coffman with the 2nd pick. I think the Giants will pick Pettigrew in the 2nd round.

Red_BearSkins
02-09-2009, 02:27 PM
1) Brian Orapko 6’4 260 LB Texas- Instant Starter at OLB, tough, physical, the next shawne merriman

The only scenario where Orakpo goes to Miami is if they trade up. Are you willing to trade away picks to trade up into the probable top 10 area?

thebow305
02-09-2009, 07:14 PM
I would be very surprised if Buffalo draft a TE with the 1st pick. I reckon they will pick Everett Brown in the 1st & Chase Coffman with the 2nd pick. I think the Giants will pick Pettigrew in the 2nd round.

The real question here is, did you just say "reckon"? :eek:

gouldo
02-10-2009, 12:56 AM
The real question here is, did you just say "reckon"? :eek:

Yeah. Did I miss something?

Solomon
02-10-2009, 02:02 AM
The only scenario where Orakpo goes to Miami is if they trade up. Are you willing to trade away picks to trade up into the probable top 10 area?

Players drop all the time come draft day...Phillip Merling, Mathias Kiwanuka come to mind as recent pass rushers whose stocks dropped as it got closer to the draft.

draftguru151
02-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Plus this was made in early November.

Danc=Prick
02-10-2009, 03:22 PM
The dolphins are pretty set at offense and as many had said they need a better secondary. ALl they have to do is put Chad Henne in for the win

yboord028
02-10-2009, 06:50 PM
I wouldn't exactly call the offense "set", A big physical WR and a bigger center would be of need.

JoeyJr09
02-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Plus this was made in early November.

+1

We were expected to be picking in the 15 range when this was made guys.

Quagmire
02-20-2009, 01:25 PM
Definitely not a screaming need and a bit of a surprise. Lesean McCoy, RB, Pitt. He is an excellent between the tackles guy with the ability to get outside. He also has great hands and is used to being a workhorse RB in a pro style offense. It may be a bit off the wall, but if they are truly looking at best player available at #25, I think he would be a great choice. Team him up with Henne and you have your future RB and QB locked up with your OT's. I think it would be a great choice...

draftguru151
02-20-2009, 01:36 PM
Maybe if we was around with our early 2nd round pick but even then it's bleh. We have too many holes at DB and WR and LB to take a RB in the first when we have Ronnie. Not to mention I'm extremely bleh on McCoy. Ronnie dances enough as it is, don't need a small back doing that. McCoy is basically Reggie Bush but not as good of a receiver. Taking another back wouldn't be a bad idea in maybe the 4th round, but we don't have the luxury of taking one in the first.

Cocelesti
02-20-2009, 03:14 PM
Maybe if we was around with our early 2nd round pick but even then it's bleh. We have too many holes at DB and WR and LB to take a RB in the first when we have Ronnie. Not to mention I'm extremely bleh on McCoy. Ronnie dances enough as it is, don't need a small back doing that. McCoy is basically Reggie Bush but not as good of a receiver. Taking another back wouldn't be a bad idea in maybe the 4th round, but we don't have the luxury of taking one in the first.

Although the NFL in recent years has become more and more of a 2-back league system, then I don't see Lesean McCoy as a type of a player who can take many carries during a game.

His blocking is not something to be exicited about either.
Yet, I find him still atraktiv to our offence, because I actually have been a little bit tired of Ricky Williams after this season.

He could be an option, but Im still hoping that we choose to pick something other than RB in the first round.

Quagmire
02-20-2009, 03:44 PM

Guru,

Would you consider McCoy small? 5'11 210 is pretty good. No one will mistake him for Jerome Bettis, but I would not call him Reggie Bush size either. I did not expect this to be a popular opinion. I watched him a bunch of times and I think he runs pretty hard. He is also very elusive and has a nice breakaway gear when he gets in the open field. I really think when all is said and done, that he will be the most complete back in the draft. As for the draft strategy, I would not focus on need at all. I would take best player at #25 with few exceptions (no OT or QB in round 1) This team is not close enough to a title where filling needs in the draft should be a priority. I think at the end of the day that they want and will take a defensive player. But I hope they do it because they feel the guy they pick is the best player available, not to fill a need...

Quagmire
02-20-2009, 03:46 PM
Although the NFL in recent years has become more and more of a 2-back league system, then I don't see Lesean McCoy as a type of a player who can take many carries during a game.

His blocking is not something to be exicited about either.
Yet, I find him still atraktiv to our offence, because I actually have been a little bit tired of Ricky Williams after this season.

He could be an option, but Im still hoping that we choose to pick something other than RB in the first round.

Again, just an opinion of mine and I think they could do far worse than McCoy with the pick. I do not see them keeping Ronnie Brown long term and they need to develop their own guy..... I will not be upset if they pass him up for a better football player, but I will be if they draft for need and not on total ability..

Quagmire
02-20-2009, 03:51 PM

Guru,

Follow up to my post from earlier, apparently McCoy weighed in at 197. Some of that could be attributed to the flu, but still less than I expected. I still stand by the other stuff that I said though. I really think this guy has it and I expect good things out of him in the pros...

draftguru151
02-20-2009, 04:15 PM
Well, one, I don't think McCoy is going to be the BPA at 25, but that's just an opinion so bleh. I don't agree with the having to take a BPA guy instead of filling holes. Kinda cliche but I buy into BPA at a position of need. I think a 2nd RB is a need, but not big enough to pick a guy in the first (that said if a Knowshon or Wells is there at 25 I'd take them in a second). There are a ton of rushbackers that should go in the late first region and if we could get a Sintim/English/Maybin I'd be pretty happy. WR should have guys there as well with Nicks/Britt/Heyward-Bey and DB with Moore/Davis/Smith/Delmas all of which would fill big needs and would be good value. I'd much rather grab one of those guys in round 1 then look at a Goodson/Jeremiah Johnson type in round 4 or so. It's early though, draft is a while away and we still have to go through FA, but if we come out of the first without a LB/WR/DB I'd be pretty disappointed.

thebow305
02-21-2009, 04:32 PM
We have too many needs to be drafting a RB with our top pick. Running Back is arguably the strongest position on our team and if you think that's whom we should draft, then you obviously don't have the team's best interests in mind. JMO.

Cocelesti
02-21-2009, 04:47 PM
We have too many needs to be drafting a RB with our top pick. Running Back is arguably the strongest position on our team and if you think that's whom we should draft, then you obviously don't have the team's best interests in mind. JMO.

I could not agree more. This is exactly a minimal problem on our team as it looks right now. Our needs are bigger in a lot of other places. Still hope that we take an ILB in first round.

Quagmire
02-23-2009, 09:08 AM
Well, one, I don't think McCoy is going to be the BPA at 25, but that's just an opinion so bleh. I don't agree with the having to take a BPA guy instead of filling holes. Kinda cliche but I buy into BPA at a position of need. I think a 2nd RB is a need, but not big enough to pick a guy in the first (that said if a Knowshon or Wells is there at 25 I'd take them in a second). There are a ton of rushbackers that should go in the late first region and if we could get a Sintim/English/Maybin I'd be pretty happy. WR should have guys there as well with Nicks/Britt/Heyward-Bey and DB with Moore/Davis/Smith/Delmas all of which would fill big needs and would be good value. I'd much rather grab one of those guys in round 1 then look at a Goodson/Jeremiah Johnson type in round 4 or so. It's early though, draft is a while away and we still have to go through FA, but if we come out of the first without a LB/WR/DB I'd be pretty disappointed.

Guru,
I think you said it in your post. "If Knowshon or Wells is there, I would take him in a second." Thats all I meant except I was using McCoy. Lets say for argument's sake, Wells is there at 25 and Miami takes Brian Cushing or Clint Sintim. Did they do the right thing? I would say no. All I am saying is that they need good players everywhere. I don't think R Brown has a long term future here and there is no one on the horizon to take over for him. I just think they need to take best player regardless of position and stockpile this team with the best talent that they can. Like you said, it is very early and the way it looks now, anything can happen.

Quagmire
02-23-2009, 09:10 AM

If you draft for need and leave better players on the board, you don't have the team's best interests in mind. How strong is RB? Brown gets hurt and what do you have? Last yr was the only yr he played 16 games. Can't be closed-minded and think that last yr's success is going to continue automatically.....

thebow305
02-23-2009, 08:02 PM
LeSean McCoy will not be the BPA available at pick #25, and if that is the argument, then this discussion should be over. He will not be BPA or fill a need, so forget about him.

Quagmire
02-24-2009, 07:44 AM
LeSean McCoy will not be the BPA available at pick #25, and if that is the argument, then this discussion should be over. He will not be BPA or fill a need, so forget about him.

I am allowed my opinion. I happen to think McCoy will be very good. Better than making up bs mock drafts that drop every great player to Miami like you do.... Maybe on your next one, you can have them taking Aaron Curry in the 4th round...

Grig
02-24-2009, 04:26 PM
Like many have said, RB is one of the strongest positions on the team. Nobody has even mentioned Patrick Cobbs yet who got resigned for another two years. I think I'm higher on Brown than others, but he's still a beast.

If we take a RB any higher than the 5th round, I'll be quite upset. We simply don't need one with all the other holes/depth issues on the team.

roscoesdad27
03-06-2009, 02:02 PM
1) C. Barwin olb cinci
extremely atheletic d.e. that impressed at the combine and should have no problem playing 3-4 olb...can also be your second or third string t.e....sleeper

2a) A. Smith c.b. wake forest
physical playmaker would give the phins a much needed boost in the secondary...fills a need at temendous value here.

2b) B. Robiskie w.r. ohio state
productive reciever with the ideal size to compliment ginn and bess...has deceptive speed and great hands...was ginns college teammate and should bring great chemistry to the offense.

3) S. L. Hill n.t. stillman
huge n.t. type that showed good athleticism at the combine and fills a need at good value here....sleeper

complete mock here
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1533596&posted=1#post1533596

thoughts?