PDA

View Full Version : Nate Davis, QB, Ball State

JaxJag_1
11-11-2008, 04:14 PM
If he does come out this year, where does he rank and what are your thoughts on him?

He's 6'2" 220 lbs. with excellent mobility and a cannon arm and he throws a beautiful ball with a perfect spiral even with gloves and no laces.

SMoore
11-11-2008, 04:17 PM
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25649&highlight=nate+davis

P-L
11-11-2008, 04:35 PM
I really, really like Nate Davis. I haven't really pondered the thought of him coming out yet, so I'm not sure where I'd rank him. However, I think he has an excellent chance of being a very good pro and in terms of MAC quarterbacks he is head and shoulders over everyone since Ben Roethlisberger. I think he has a legitimate chance of being a first round pick in next year's draft, should he come back for his senior season.

STARHEATHER
11-11-2008, 04:47 PM
hes a little short and frail for my taste. hes going to have to have a cannon. is he in the stafford/freeman/pike area throwing as far as arm?

awfullyquiet
11-11-2008, 04:53 PM
hes a little short and frail for my taste. hes going to have to have a cannon. is he in the stafford/freeman/pike area throwing as far as arm?

can he throw like mike vick?

no.

Nate Davis is quality. I had an opportunity to see a ball state game this year.

Probably the full package as far as a MAC QB.

hockey619
11-11-2008, 05:01 PM

No, not quite a Stafford or Russell arm, but a very good pro arm none the less. It's not elite/otherworldly/knock-your-socks-off arm but its very good and he can definitely fit the ball into tight windows or throw the ball deep.

P-L
11-11-2008, 05:04 PM
He's probably just a notch or two below Stafford/Freeman in terms of arm strength. His arm isn't fantastic but he can make all the throws with relative ease. He is probably a little on the short side, but he's pretty athletic and is very accurate.

STARHEATHER
11-11-2008, 05:07 PM
i just cant draft an undersize guy who doesnt have an elite throwing arm with a high pick. 2nd rd at best. id be sheepish to draft him under any circumstance. looks like a potential waste pick. i mean are you realy going to win a sb with nate davis. are you realy comfortable using a rd 1 pick and making him the centerpiece of the franchise. i dont know. seems like a high risk minimal reward as far as a high pick. maybe late rds

bspen4
11-11-2008, 05:21 PM
i just cant draft an undersize guy who doesnt have an elite throwing arm with a high pick. 2nd rd at best. id be sheepish to draft him under any circumstance. looks like a potential waste pick. i mean are you realy going to win a sb with nate davis. are you realy comfortable using a rd 1 pick and making him the centerpiece of the franchise. i dont know. seems like a high risk minimal reward as far as a high pick. maybe late rds

6'2 220 is not undersized.

Malaka
11-11-2008, 05:24 PM
6'2 220 is not undersized.

Don't fight him unless your 6'6 250 lbs. you are undersized.

Mark Sanchez who is 6'3 225 is undersized according to him.

STARHEATHER
11-11-2008, 05:27 PM
yes its true unless youre 6 5 230 laser rocket arm ive got some issues. because thats what its taking to win championships these days. if you cant win it or at least show some of the traits of the guys winning it, i dont see the point of using a pick

illmatic74
11-11-2008, 06:07 PM
I would rate him ahead of any senior QB. First day pick in 2009 or 2010.

SuperKevin
11-11-2008, 06:09 PM
He's playing on ESPN right now

Malaka
11-11-2008, 06:09 PM
yes its true unless youre 6 5 230 laser rocket arm ive got some issues. because thats what its taking to win championships these days. if you cant win it or at least show some of the traits of the guys winning it, i dont see the point of using a pick

Erm... Eli Manning is 6'4 225 and Mark Sanchez is 6'3 225... Eli won a championship last year...

bspen4
11-11-2008, 06:37 PM

You crack me up

STARHEATHER
11-11-2008, 06:41 PM
please pick him. more good players later. bring sanchez in gainst my defense youre going to lose. hes not going to make it through the game

STARHEATHER
11-11-2008, 06:42 PM
im just not liking this dude. you dont see any nate davus clones winning super bowls. im going to watch him tonight

illmatic74
11-11-2008, 06:45 PM
Davis looks great today.

Cigaro
11-11-2008, 06:47 PM
please pick him. more good players later. bring sanchez in gainst my defense youre going to lose. hes not going to make it through the game

Sorry, you don't have a defense. So I guess that means automatic win for Sanchez.

STARHEATHER
11-11-2008, 06:50 PM
the defense for my team, you cant win with mark sanchez. trot him out, its going to be an L

illmatic74
11-11-2008, 06:52 PM
the defense for my team, you cant win with mark sanchez. trot him out, its going to be an LGreat logic because no QBs but Sanchez and Davis lose.

STARHEATHER
11-11-2008, 06:58 PM
all im saying is there are no mark sanchez/nate davis clones winning sb. for me, that means something. it means im not going to pick them

bspen4
11-11-2008, 06:59 PM
all im saying is there are no mark sanchez/nate davis clones winning sb. for me, that means something. it means im not going to pick them

All this just adds to your record of incompetence

SuperKevin
11-11-2008, 06:59 PM

and the Josh Freeman clone JaMarcus Russell isn't winning ANY games so that logic is awesome.

STARHEATHER
11-11-2008, 07:05 PM
at least they look like guys who are winning. you can call it faulty logic. show me an undersize weak arm qb and im going to show you a dude who wont win super bowls. thats all that really matters as i see it.

Malaka
11-11-2008, 07:06 PM
at least they look like guys who are winning. you can call it faulty logic. show me an undersize weak arm qb and im going to show you a dude who wont win super bowls. thats all that really matters as i see it.

I would rather have a guy who IS winning not a guy who looks like a winner...

gator3guy
11-11-2008, 07:09 PM
Sanchez and Davis have lost a combined one game all season....

STARHEATHER
11-11-2008, 07:09 PM
winning against whom. oklahoma, tx tech, fla? miami, akron, northern ill

illmatic74
11-11-2008, 07:12 PM
all im saying is there are no mark sanchez/nate davis clones winning sb. for me, that means something. it means im not going to pick themYes the ultimate goal in the NFL is to win the Super Bowl. But, there are 32 NFL teams and only one annual winner. The mark of a great team is the ability to put a Championship contender almost every year. If you put out a championship contender every year you may eventually get yours like the Colts and Buccaneers of recent years. Am I saying that Davis is a franchise QB who will lead his team to the playoffs every year no because there are a few of them in the leagues history. But I definitely see him at as least an average starter or a great backup. Maybe he could turn into a franchise QB or maybe he won't. But saying after seeing him take a few throws in college he has no shot is absurd. If you saw Tom Brady play in Michigan or Brad Johnson play at Florida State you would have probably have said they have no shot of winning a Superbowl. Wow that was long and I probably have a lot of errors and bad grammer too bad!

MidwayMonster31
11-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Opposite ends of the spectrum...
6'4, 235, rocket arm...
http://warroomreport.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/04/ryanleaf.jpg

6'2, 220... (not a rocket arm)
http://twonateshow.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/t1_warner2_si1.jpg
or...
http://www.rogaland-f.kommune.no/~dalane/2002-2003/steveyoungmain.jpg

I see a lot of Kurt Warner in Nate Davis. He is very accurate, he puts good touch on his passes can get the ball in tight spots.

gator3guy
11-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Why don't you watch the guy play instead of saying he won't make it because other QB's his size have not won a Superbowl. I think there are much greater factors that go into winning a superbowl than the size (in this case height) of a QB. That's like saying if Sam McGuffie runs for 2,000 yards and runs a 4.3 no team should pick him high because teams with white RB's do not win superbowl's (might be a bad example lol). Besides the guy is 6'1 at the least, well put together, and has a pretty good arm. Watch what he does on the field. Not what others have done.

Malaka
11-11-2008, 07:24 PM
winning against whom. oklahoma, tx tech, fla? miami, akron, northern ill

By your logic Graham Harrell >>> Josh Freeman as a prospect

because of wins but then

JaMarcus Russell = God because of his physical tools

then

Freeman >>> Russell because Russell is on the Raiders and will never win

then

Harrell cannot be better than Freeman because of his size but at the same time can be because he wins games and has a shot at the National championship, and right John Parker Wilson >>> All as his team is #1

.... thus creating an infinite paradox...

illmatic74
11-11-2008, 07:25 PM
Why don't you watch the guy play instead of saying he won't make it because other QB's his size have not won a Superbowl. I think there are much greater factors that go into winning a superbowl than the size (in this case height) of a QB. That's like saying if Sam McGuffie runs for 2,000 yards and runs a 4.3 no team should pick him high because teams with white RB's do not win superbowl's (might be a bad example lol). Besides the guy is 6'1 at the least, well put together, and has a pretty good arm. Watch what he does on the field. Not what others have done.That is the problem with some posters on this site. They focus too much on one side off the equation. Some focus too much on size, some too much on arm strength, some too much on stats, some too much on intangibles and some too much on forty times. When evaluating you have to put in the whole equation to make the right evaluation.

hockey619
11-11-2008, 07:29 PM
Why don't you watch the guy play instead of saying he won't make it because other QB's his size have not won a Superbowl. I think there are much greater factors that go into winning a superbowl than the size (in this case height) of a QB. That's like saying if Sam McGuffie runs for 2,000 yards and runs a 4.3 no team should pick him high because teams with white RB's do not win superbowl's (might be a bad example lol). Besides the guy is 6'1 at the least, well put together, and has a pretty good arm. Watch what he does on the field. Not what others have done.

Pssshhhhhhht gator thats crazy talk. If nobody has done it to this point then it simply cant be done. Thats the rational way of looking at it. I mean, nobody ever went to the moon, it was impossible....oh yeah but then somebody did it. Well nobody could run under a four minute mile....oh yeah then somebody did that too.....

I guess what Im sarcastically trying to say is that just because it hasnt been done yet doesnt mean that it cant be done. So yeah I agree with you.

illmatic74
11-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Pssshhhhhhht gator thats crazy talk. If nobody has done it to this point then it simply cant be done. Thats the rational way of looking at it. I mean, nobody ever went to the moon, it was impossible....oh yeah but then somebody did it. Well nobody could run under a four minute mile....oh yeah then somebody did that too.....

I guess what Im sarcastically trying to say is that just because it hasnt been done yet doesnt mean that it cant be done. But the problem is QBS with Nate Davis's size have won Super Bowl like Steve Young and Brett Favre

hockey619
11-11-2008, 07:33 PM
But the problem is QBS with Nate Davis's size have won Super Bowl like Steve Young and Brett Favre

Yeah I know, I was being sarcastic to show the rediculousness that is STARHEATHER lol.

Cigaro
11-11-2008, 07:36 PM
But there are quarterbacks who are 6'6 with laser rockets arms, and yet play like ****, all while leading their team to a Superbowl victory?

STARHEATHER
11-11-2008, 08:12 PM
ill say it right now you have no chance of winning a sb with nate davis. so i dont see the point in drafting him. i dont really see the point of drafting career clipboard holders just because they are there

SuperKevin
11-11-2008, 08:13 PM
ill say it right now you have no chance of winning a sb with nate davis. so i dont see the point in drafting him. i dont really see the point of drafting career clipboard holders just because they are there

Then Josh Freeman will go undrafted

gator3guy
11-11-2008, 08:24 PM

Why because he's not 6'5 like the last few super bowl winners? You didn't give a reason why he's not draftable other than that. I know you haven't seen him play so you just go with the first thing you see-size. Gimme a break. Go watch the kid and give an educated opinion about his OVERALL game. It's one thing if you don't like him as a prospect, but the "reason" you gave is so dumb.

And if your theory is right about not drafting players that cannnot win you a super bowl then teams would stop drafting after the second round, right?

illmatic74
11-11-2008, 08:46 PM
ill say it right now you have no chance of winning a sb with nate davis. so i dont see the point in drafting him. i dont really see the point of drafting career clipboard holders just because they are thereDid you tihink that Tom Brady coming out of college would have been a super bowl QB.

illmatic74
11-11-2008, 08:46 PM
ill say it right now you have no chance of winning a sb with nate davis. so i dont see the point in drafting him. i dont really see the point of drafting career clipboard holders just because they are thereDid you think that Tom Brady coming out of college would have been a super bowl QB.

tjsunstein
11-11-2008, 08:53 PM
Starheather is clearly set on his beliefs and he isnt gonna change his mind no matter how good of examples you bring up

SuperKevin
11-11-2008, 08:53 PM
Did you think that Tom Brady coming out of college would have been a super bowl QB.

Trick question. Tom Brady went straight from middle school to Super Bowl MVP

Im_a_Romosexual
11-11-2008, 09:01 PM
I only caught the second half, but did he remove the glove on his throwing hand? He usually wears one.

CashmoneyDrew
11-11-2008, 09:09 PM
STARHEATHER is probably the greatest poster of all time guys. He's so wise. His wisdom is just lost on the rest of us. Only he can truly understand his logic. He's the Albert Einstein of scouting players. Because of this, none of the prospects we like will ever hope to beat "his team".

gator3guy
11-11-2008, 09:19 PM
I only caught the second half, but did he remove the glove on his throwing hand? He usually wears one.

Yea i noticed that too. He played OK tonight. I guess I'm saying that because of what he did last week. He played phenominal-best game of the season. He also threw a pick tonight, something he is usually good at avoiding. But they won again and he almost had 300 yards passing.

I would love to see HEATHER's "team" but I don't think he can name them because he cannot find any players that fit the bill. 6'8 295 DE's that run 4.36 and 6'6 QBs who can throw 80 yards on one knee and also have to run under a 4.5.

STARHEATHER
11-11-2008, 09:20 PM
im watching him right now. seriously no way. all intermediate and dump off. no deep routes. shorter than advertised. lookslike a little thicker graham harrel. maybe a little better arm. i dont see much more than graham harrell. hes not a great thrower by any means and hes really small. not a great ahlete either for such a small guy. im going to pass enjoy the spoils.

illmatic74
11-11-2008, 09:21 PM
Yea i noticed that too. He played OK tonight. I guess I'm saying that because of what he did last week. He played phenominal-best game of the season. He also threw a pick tonight, something he is usually good at avoiding. But they won again and he almost had 300 yards passing.

I would love to see HEATHER's "team" but I don't think he can name them because he cannot find any players that fit the bill. 6'8 295 DE's that run 4.36 and 6'6 QBs who can throw 80 yards on one knee and also have to run under a 4.5.His team is one of those perfect Madden teams in create a team

STARHEATHER
11-11-2008, 09:25 PM
no its a real nfl team with a real defense. you dont need an all star team to render sanchez or davis inneffective

gator3guy
11-11-2008, 09:30 PM
im watching him right now. seriously no way. all intermediate and dump off. no deep routes. shorter than advertised. lookslike a little thicker graham harrel. maybe a little better arm. i dont see much more than graham harrell. hes not a great thrower by any means and hes really small. not a great ahlete either for such a small guy. im going to pass enjoy the spoils.

How boring this board would be without you. How are you watching the game now? The game is over. O wait your watching "film." Im not saying this guy is the "next coming" because I don't think he will be, but the reasons you give are so dumb. Have you ever heard of Drew Brees? He might break the passing yardage record. A generous 6'0 and not a strong arm by any stretch of the imagination. Put him on an NFC East team and they are easily a Super Bowl contender. "It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog."

gator3guy
11-11-2008, 09:31 PM
no its a real nfl team with a real defense. you dont need an all star team to render sanchez or davis inneffective

whose your team, I'd love to see.

Malaka
11-11-2008, 09:33 PM
He is obviously a scout for the Patriots or Titans /sarcasm

CashmoneyDrew
11-11-2008, 09:35 PM
He is obviously a scout for the Patriots or Titans /sarcasm

Jesus man, don't scare me like that. He may have been behind us drafting Chris Henry in the second round.

CashmoneyDrew
11-11-2008, 09:37 PM
whose your team, I'd love to see.

He won't tell you for some reason. But I'm sure he'll tell us it's whatever team wins the super bowl so he can say "I told you so" about "his team".

gator3guy
11-11-2008, 09:38 PM
Jesus man, don't scare me like that. He may have been behind us drafting Chris Henry in the second round.

He was 230 and ran a 4.3, just what he likes :D

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
11-11-2008, 09:39 PM

Watch this vid and tell me he has a weak arm

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=283102050

Babylon
11-11-2008, 09:39 PM

I'm sort of with you on this one, he reminds me of a Chris Leak, who won a national championship by the way. If he can get a chance might be a Jeff Garcia type.

illmatic74
11-11-2008, 09:41 PM
I'm sort of with you on this one, he reminds me of a Chris Leak, who won a national championship by the way. If he can get a chance might be a Jeff Garcia type.If you think he is going to have a Jeff Garcia type career he should be a first round pick.

gator3guy
11-11-2008, 09:43 PM
I don't see Garcia. Davis' arm is twice as strong.

Babylon
11-11-2008, 09:45 PM
If you think he is going to have a Jeff Garcia type career he should be a first round pick.

That's interesting to think about, Jeff was a free agent wasn't he?

illmatic74
11-11-2008, 09:47 PM
im watching him right now. seriously no way. all intermediate and dump off. no deep routes. shorter than advertised. lookslike a little thicker graham harrel. maybe a little better arm. i dont see much more than graham harrell. hes not a great thrower by any means and hes really small. not a great ahlete either for such a small guy. im going to pass enjoy the spoils. Intermediate routes are the bread of the butter of the NFL now.

gator3guy
11-11-2008, 09:48 PM
That's interesting to think about, Jeff was a free agent wasn't he?

I think he meant after seeing what Garcia has done in the NFL, if Davis is like him then he should be a 1st rounder.

Babylon
11-11-2008, 09:51 PM
I think he meant after seeing what Garcia has done in the NFL, if Davis is like him then he should be a 1st rounder.

Scouts dont have the luxury of higdsight though, not sure you'd use a 1st round pick even knowing what we do about Jeff Garcia.

As for Davis he looks pretty good but dont think he's going to get past guys like McCoy, Freeman and Tebow and obviously not the top tier of guys like Stafford, Bradford and Sanchez.

gator3guy
11-11-2008, 10:01 PM
Scouts dont have the luxury of higdsight though, not sure you'd use a 1st round pick even knowing what we do about Jeff Garcia.

As for Davis he looks pretty good but dont think he's going to get past guys like McCoy, Freeman and Tebow and obviously not the top tier of guys like Stafford, Bradford and Sanchez.

He's not above those guys and I don't think he ever will(who knows maybe if they go undefeated he'll get the hype machine). I think he should stay another year. He has some question marks and I think he can only help himself by going back to school for another year. Someone at ESPN (McShay I think) ranked him 4th or 5th amongst underclass QB's (and undoubtedly the SR QBs).

Breaker
11-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Not sure if this was mention yet, but there are rumors going around that he is likely to declare for this upcoming draft, the reason is because he needs the money to help pay for his kid.

CashmoneyDrew
11-11-2008, 10:20 PM
Not sure if this was mention yet, but there are rumors going around that he is likely to declare for this upcoming draft, the reason is because he needs the money to help pay for his kid.

I don't know his situation but many players in that same situation before have declared for the same reason. I know it was one of the main factors in Robert Meachum declaring early.

SuperKevin
11-11-2008, 10:21 PM
I feel he's gone as long as he gets at least a 3rd round grade. Like previously mentioned, he has a kid he needs to support and Ball State isn't going to get any better next year with his top targets all gone.

STARHEATHER
11-11-2008, 10:26 PM
i taped the game. hesreally short. like graham harrel short

holt_bruce81
11-11-2008, 10:26 PM
I noticed his profile on Ball State's website has him listed at 6'2, anyone else think he's around 6'0? Not knocking the guy at all, in fact I want the Rams to draft him if he can be had in the 3rd. He just looks a little shorter than what he's listed at.

STARHEATHER
11-11-2008, 10:30 PM
yes hes shorter than advertised.

gator3guy
11-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Only one way to find out....(combine)

CashmoneyDrew
I'd say it's safe to say that 90 percent of college players are listed bigger than they really are.

SuperKevin
yes hes shorter than advertised.

99.9% of college players are. My cousin played 3rd string DE at VT and they listed him at 6'6" 265 even though he's never been bigger than 6'4" 230 in his life

illmatic74
11-11-2008, 10:40 PM

As for Davis he looks pretty good but dont think he's going to get past guys like McCoy, Freeman and Tebow and obviously not the top tier of guys like Stafford, Bradford and Sanchez.Davis is behind Bradford, Sanchez and Stafford as prospects but he is definitely ahead of Tebow Mccoy and a little bit ahead of Freeman. He is way ahead of the curve reading coverages and going through progressions and the play action game compared to those 3.

ljk2171
11-26-2008, 08:55 AM
When I saw Nate Davis play for the first time last season, I thought he had the potential to be a first round pick. To me he is somewhere between McNabb without the giant arm and Brady Quinn with a stronger arm if that makes any sense. His fundamentals are solid, but still need some work, just like every other QB that enters the league. I think he'll certainly talk with the advisory board on his draft status, if he's a first rounder, he'll be gone.

keylime_5
11-26-2008, 09:02 AM
I think he could definitely be a first round pick. Problem is his height and the fact he is in the MAC, so he might just fall to the second ala Drew Brees and be a steal. But don't be surprised to see him go late first.

Cigaro
11-26-2008, 09:10 AM
When I saw Nate Davis play for the first time last season, I thought he had the potential to be a first round pick. To me he is somewhere between McNabb without the giant arm and Brady Quinn with a stronger arm if that makes any sense. His fundamentals are solid, but still need some work, just like every other QB that enters the league. I think he'll certainly talk with the advisory board on his draft status, if he's a first rounder, he'll be gone.

In my opinion his release needs some work, his dropback a little tweaking.

Ozzy
11-26-2008, 09:12 AM
I agree he could totally be a 1st rounder. What a ball handler he is, great play fakes and pump fakes. Sure he overthrows some players at times but just so much potential there. And height is not a real issue at all to me, sure not 6-6 but is not 5-10 either.

STARHEATHER
11-26-2008, 10:13 PM
yaeh. no. at best hes a dave garrard clone. but i dont htink hes that big or that good of a thrower. super short. if hes much over 6' id be shocked. he reminds of ray lucas or shaun king. ewwww

JaxJag_1
11-29-2008, 06:36 PM
yaeh. no. at best hes a dave garrard clone. but i dont htink hes that big or that good of a thrower. super short. if hes much over 6' id be shocked. he reminds of ray lucas or shaun king. ewwww

I've seen a lot of Nate Davis and I've seen every game David Garrard has ever played in with us in Jacksonville, and I love David a lot, but Davis seems to have a better feel in the downfield passing game, and even if he was a David clone I'd take him, don't undersell David

Monomach
12-04-2008, 10:32 PM

You don't actually know anything about him, as is evidenced by your question.

Basically, you're a waste of space. I can't believe you rattle off a little blurb about how crappy every good player is and how great every crappy player is based on nothing more than a thread on a public forum.

Anyone who takes you seriously is borderline ********.

SKim172
12-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Anyone else is worried about his throwing mechanics?

Meaning he wears gloves and doesn't grip the ball on the laces.

He's also mentioned that he still finds taking the ball under center uncomfortable and his dropbacks show a little of that.

Me, I'm not worried about the gloves - should be a bonus, really. He'll be warm and toasty in winter games. Lambeau Field ain't nothin'.

But the laces concern me a little. Mainly because I'm not sure of the ramifications. It's so unusual, I'm not even aware of what problems might result from it.

holt_bruce81
12-04-2008, 11:16 PM
Anyone else is worried about his throwing mechanics?

Meaning he wears gloves and doesn't grip the ball on the laces.

He's also mentioned that he still finds taking the ball under center uncomfortable and his dropbacks show a little of that.

Me, I'm not worried about the gloves - should be a bonus, really. He'll be warm and toasty in winter games. Lambeau Field ain't nothin'.

But the laces concern me a little. Mainly because I'm not sure of the ramifications. It's so unusual, I'm not even aware of what problems might result from it.

Well Kurt Warner has been wearing gloves the past few seasons and it doesn't seem to effect him any. In fact I don't even think Warner grips the ball on the laces (could be wrong though)

MetSox17
12-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Gripping the ball outside of the laces in cold, rainy weather might be an issue. The balls are slick enough as it is, the laces are the only thing that provide grip on a wet ball.

Race for the Heisman
12-05-2008, 10:25 AM
Arm strength > laces. The laces give you better grip, control, and technique, all things can still be achieved without using the laces depending upon arm strength.

STARHEATHER
12-05-2008, 09:45 PM
do you still believe after tonights debacle. buffalo. just think about him trotting out there vs the giants. bad bad bad stuff. and ijust heard he doesn throw with the laces. what happens if the ball is wet or cold. balls going to be squirting out and fluttering all over like a wounded duck all day. never was. hes coming back. hell never be a high pick

Race for the Heisman
12-05-2008, 09:48 PM
do you still believe after tonights debacle. buffalo. just think about him trotting out there vs the giants. bad bad bad stuff. and ijust heard he doesn throw with the laces. what happens if the ball is wet or cold. balls going to be squirting out and fluttering all over like a wounded duck all day. never was. hes coming back. hell never be a high pick

Both of the turnovers that went for touchdowns shouldn't have happened if the replay booth did its job correctly. That's at least a 21 point swing (+7 for Ball State, -14 for Buffalo), maybe more if Ball State scores on that second drive. Yeah, Davis isn't perfect, but he's worth the mid-second/mid-third that he's been projected for in my eyes.

STARHEATHER
12-05-2008, 09:55 PM
hes not playing great and hes chase daniel sized and he doesnt throw the ball all that great. reminds me of shaun king. not rd 1 pick material. i dont htink id draft him. its a waste pick for me. this dude has 0 chance to win a super bowl. i dont like drafting career clipboard holders. i prefer veteran backups

AkiliSmith
12-05-2008, 09:56 PM
hes not playing great and hes chase daniel sized and he doesnt throw the ball all that great. reminds me of shaun king. not rd 1 pick material. i dont htink id draft him. its a waste pick for me. this dude has 0 chance to win a super bowl. i dont like drafting career clipboard holders. i prefer veteran backups
Go do your homework

illmatic74
12-05-2008, 09:58 PM
One game doesn't completely change him as a prospect for me. He is still a mid-late first rounder.

sbh15
12-05-2008, 10:11 PM
One game doesn't completely change him as a prospect for me. He is still a mid-late first rounder.

Agreed. He has the arm to make all the throws you need. He's actually got 6' 2" - 6' 3" size which is below average, but not terrible. I think he's got a good chance to succeed, I don't think he's the next Big Ben. I feel like he fits somewhere between Ben and Leftwich if I'm using his fellow MAC quarterbacks.

SchizophrenicBatman
12-05-2008, 10:27 PM
I really just dont see anything that special in this guy. His offense seems to run a lot of short passes when they arent down (which happened to be the entire season) too. Sorry guys but I think starheather punked you here. Davis just looks like a back-up to me. Even when things were going well for him he was JUST barely getting out trouble and displaying poor tendencies like sidearm passes in the process. Really the only thing I like is that he has an average NFL arm and decent mobility (he certainly isnt fast but he can escape pressure). Touch, reading the field, etc...where is it? If he played in the BCS he would have been torn to pieces by now a la Andre Woodson

illmatic74
12-05-2008, 10:30 PM
I really just dont see anything that special in this guy. His offense seems to run a lot of short passes when they arent down (which happened to be the entire season) too. Sorry guys but I think starheather punked you here. Davis just looks like a back-up to me. Even when things were going well for him he was JUST barely getting out trouble and displaying poor tendencies like sidearm passes in the process. Really the only thing I like is that he has an average NFL arm and decent mobility (he certainly isnt fast but he can escape pressure). Touch, reading the field, etc...where is it? If he played in the BCS he would have been torn to pieces by now a la Andre WoodsonDon't compare him to Andre Woodson has an incredibly slow release and played in an offense that threw bubble screens all day

SchizophrenicBatman
12-05-2008, 10:36 PM
He's not similar to Woodson at all, in fact their strengths and weaknesses are almost complete opposites. I'm just saying if you hide Woodson in the MAC he might not slip to the 6th round (of/c he might not have even been drafted either with the awful postseason he had, who knows)

BUT one thing he and Woodson have in common are those short routes. At the end of the game you saw Ball St air it out some but it really looked to me like a lot of their offense is 5 yard routes and dump offs to the RBs. Also I just didn't see him do anything SPECIAL that screams first rounder to me. The one time he tried on that scramble he got stopped at the 2 in mid-air and fumbled. He also seems to have a problem sailing the ball. If you give him a couple years as a back up on the Pats could he pull a Cassel? Probably. Anywhere else? He's not that great

49ersfan_87
12-05-2008, 10:42 PM
Davis is a QB i have my eye on for the Niners. Im wary of Sanchez (almost no starting experience) and Stafford has a good chance of being the top pick. Does anyone here think Davis could go to the 49ers, in the 1st/2nd round?

Babylon
12-05-2008, 11:01 PM
Davis is a QB i have my eye on for the Niners. Im wary of Sanchez (almost no starting experience) and Stafford has a good chance of being the top pick. Does anyone here think Davis could go to the 49ers, in the 1st/2nd round?

If you're trying to say he would be a better choice than Sanchez i don't see it. You're talking a differant level of football player there.

49ersfan_87
12-05-2008, 11:09 PM
If you're trying to say he would be a better choice than Sanchez i don't see it. You're talking a differant level of football player there.

It's not that he's a better/worse player, just that so little starting experience would scare me off. I remember reading an article a few years back that most succesful QBs that transition from college to the pros have a lot of starting experience in college.

12-05-2008, 11:11 PM
It's not that he's a better/worse player, just that so little starting experience would scare me off. I remember reading an article a few years back that most succesful QBs that transition from college to the pros have a lot of starting experience in college.

That is true but it's not like whichever QB you take is gonna be expected to play instantly ala Matt Ryan and will most likely have to sit a year or two so you might as well opt for the better NFL talent with the higher ceiling.

diabsoule
12-05-2008, 11:27 PM
Davis is going to have to sit and learn for at least two years in the NFL before he starts. His mechanics need some slight work and I'd for him to have better field vision.
What I do like about him, however, is his arm strength, athleticism, leadership ability, and I think he has top notch intangibles.
I think he tries to do too much at times which leads him to make poor throws. Also, his offensive line isn't the greatest in the world. Tonight, they were down right atrocious against the Buffalo pass rush.
I think he could make it with a team in the NFL, especially one that runs the WCO, but he's going to have to learn, just like most rookie QB's.

ThePudge
12-06-2008, 12:07 AM
He's going to be sat down and asked what went wrong in tonight's game at the NFL Combine. That much is just about a guarantee. He expressed a lot of frustration and looked confused out there when things were going wrong. Still, that game was a matter of a few bad calls, bad bounces, and miscommunications.

A very good player. Talk of the first round, to me, is premature. Still, I have him ranked in that Late Second Round range, with the upside to go a bit earlier.

BBIB
12-06-2008, 09:38 AM
He's going to be sat down and asked what went wrong in tonight's game at the NFL Combine. That much is just about a guarantee. He expressed a lot of frustration and looked confused out there when things were going wrong. Still, that game was a matter of a few bad calls, bad bounces, and miscommunications.

A very good player. Talk of the first round, to me, is premature. Still, I have him ranked in that Late Second Round range, with the upside to go a bit earlier.

Not the way to end your career was it?

I think he may come back

djp
12-06-2008, 09:43 AM
Like I said earlier, he misses some easy throws and I have my doubts that his game can translate to the next level.

He reminds me a lot of Gus Frerotte to be honest with you.

Prowler
12-06-2008, 10:49 AM
hopefully he stays one more season. he normally has outstanding arm strength and touch. that buffalo game was the biggest trap game in...well ball state's history. when i look at him, i think arizona should draft him. the numbers he could put up throwing to fitz, boldin, and breaston would be amazing. put him in arizona, san fran, st louis, or green bay(i know they have rodgers but for 0.4 million/year as a backup it's worth it), and i think he could be outstanding.

Babylon
12-06-2008, 11:01 AM

I don't think you need to read an article to know that experience pays off at the QB position but in Mark Sachez's case he's 22 years old and has been there 4 years. He'll probably have about 16 starts by the end of the bowl season so i think scouts know what they're getting with him.

Prowler
12-06-2008, 11:22 AM
and i've been checking their recruiting board at espn for the past 6 years and i don't think they've had a single offensive lineman with an actual scouting report the entire time. they've all been like 40s which is the lowest rating. so his OL talent is pretty limited.

ThePudge
12-06-2008, 11:58 AM
Not the way to end your career was it?

I think he may come back

Well, he didn't necessarily play a poor game. He made some great throws and made very few mistakes throwing the ball. He showed in the game he could make just about any NFL throw. He has a heck of an arm for a MAC Quarterback, he's creative and gutsy, is athletic enough to move if all breaks down, he's very accurate, and has great touch on his passes. He showed all of that in the Buffalo game.

Unfortunately, lady luck was not on his side. He and his Center, Mike Gerberry (who is a Senior), were not on the same page on two crucial plays and they got in eachother's face about it. Nate Davis showed his guts and athletic ability on a couple runs, but failed to protect the ball from his blindside and twice it was popped out. His receivers also dropped a few good balls and a couple crucial challenges didn't go their way (which led to a potential 28 point swing, 14 form BSU, 14 for BU).

He still has the bowl game (likely the Motor City Bowl) to leave a good taste in his and scouts mouths.

I think he will come out, actually. He loses a bit of his offensive line and his big tight end (Darius Hill) to graduation, and he would easily be the year's top QB (over Seniors). I don't think Bradford & Stafford would really affect his stock, with such a difference there. He would likely battle Josh Freeman to be the draft's #3 QB. If he stays there's just so much risk and as a MAC QB, you have to wonder about reward. I think Davis could fit into the early second round to a team unable to get their hands on one of the top two. Seattle makes the most sense at the top of the 2nd. Houston, Minnesota, New York (Jets), Tampa Bay, and San Francisco could all be possible suitors.