PDA

View Full Version : Who are the best tackling cornerbacks in the upcoming draft?

Ozzy
11-13-2008, 11:32 AM
Here are my top tackling cornerbacks, corners that consistently get the job done be it in run defense, blitzing or tackling in the open field. The best to me by far is Jenkins, he is just sound in ever aspect, he is big, strong and can really stand his ground. Munnerlyn despite his size is outstanding at tackling, really as improved and learned how to put players on the ground, and with his speed he can really make a difference. Powers is probably the best hitting corner, and Pinkard yes was a former safety but playing now at corner, if he stays at that position in the NFL he will be a great help in run defense. Barnes is a sleeper I think, too bad he did get injured this year though.

Malcolm Jenkins Ohio St.
Captain Munnerlyn South Carolina JR
Jerraud Powers Auburn JR
Josh Pinkard USC
Traye Simmons Minnesota JR
Kevin Barnes Maryland
Ryan Palmer Texas
Kevin Thomas USC JR
Stephan Virgil Virginia Tech JR

These are good tackling corners, but they do fan on a lot of tackles at times. All are fast, can come up quick and make a big hit but are not consistent in tackling throughout the game. They are either technically not sound or mentally not at the place where they can be a consistently good tackler. Still above the rest, but not elite I feel. Mr. Davis is the king of this group, with his speed and strength he could be the best tackling corner, but he is not because he does not put the effort into it.

Vontae Davis Illinois
Joe Burnett UCF
Tony Carter Florida St.
DJ Moore Vanderbilt JR
Cary Harris USC
Bruce McCain Utah

Note: Dominic Jones was a flat out great tackling DB, however he is out of football or in jail right now. That kid could tackle though, be it at SS or CB, he really backed a punch.

I am sure I missed some players however...

bored of education
11-13-2008, 11:35 AM
Kevin Barnes makes people PUKE!

DoWnThEfiElD
11-13-2008, 11:44 AM
I actually think Victor Harris is a pretty good tackling corner. I haven't watch him that much this year, but last year Flowers and Harris were both great tacklers.

bored of education
11-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Glover Quin is a beast too btw

Ozzy
11-13-2008, 11:59 AM
I actually think Victor Harris is a pretty good tackling corner. I haven't watch him that much this year, but last year Flowers and Harris were both great tacklers.I would not consider him on Flowers level, Flowers was flat outstanding at tackling and how he dropped in the draft I have no idea, clearly was his "40" time. Harris can tackle and I was going to put him on there but really he is a gamble corner that makes plays on the football in the passing game. I would consider him a fan tackler, at times can be great but is not consistent enough or sound enough, this year he has missed tackles at times he should have made and has not rapped up always and allowed for big gains.

Sniper
11-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Edit: I am a dumbass

DoWnThEfiElD
11-13-2008, 03:26 PM
I would not consider him on Flowers level, Flowers was flat outstanding at tackling and how he dropped in the draft I have no idea, clearly was his "40" time. Harris can tackle and I was going to put him on there but really he is a gamble corner that makes plays on the football in the passing game. I would consider him a fan tackler, at times can be great but is not consistent enough or sound enough, this year he has missed tackles at times he should have made and has not rapped up always and allowed for big gains.

To me Harris has some of the best instincts for a corner from this crop. He makes plays on the ball. I think he has the athletism to play man, but would be great in zone because of how well he makes plays on the ball. Whoever gets him will be getting a bargin, his game will translate very well to the NFL.

ToldLikeItIs
11-13-2008, 09:01 PM
Bradley Fletcher - Iowa

50 + tackles
12 PDF
8 BRKUP
1 SACK
3 TFL

6'2 210

PACKmanN
11-13-2008, 09:10 PM
Jahi Word-Daniels Georgia Tech, Sherrod Martin Troy, Londen Fryar Western Michigan

skinzzfan25
11-13-2008, 09:12 PM
Kevin Barnes makes people PUKE!

Yeah haha.

I love the way he plays CB, very physical.

STARHEATHER
11-13-2008, 09:43 PM
trevard lindley from ky. also the best cover corner.the only guy i saw this year who was able to cover julio jones. hes going to break 4.4 probably pretty easily. vontae davis is a physical big guy lots of production in the tackling area

princefielder28
11-13-2008, 09:47 PM
trevard lindley from ky. also the best cover corner.the only guy i saw this year who was able to cover julio jones. hes going to break 4.4 probably pretty easily. vontae davis is a physical big guy lots of production in the tackling area

Lindley is pimp! After Malcolm Jenkins he's the best CB in CF

renegade
11-13-2008, 09:48 PM

did you watch that game? Lindley was having a hell of a time trying to cover Jones. Jones looked like a man amongst boys.

PACKmanN
11-13-2008, 09:50 PM
opps, wrong thread. Please delete.

STARHEATHER
11-13-2008, 10:47 PM
hes better than jenkins. faster, looser, better athlete. they put him on that island with julio jones and he rose up. also run supported well in the two games i saw.

Joker_232
11-13-2008, 11:03 PM
hes better than jenkins. faster, looser, better athlete. they put him on that island with julio jones and he rose up. also run supported well in the two games i saw.

Well Malcom will be a top 10 pick so we will see where he ends up

STARHEATHER
11-13-2008, 11:05 PM
hell end up in the bust category

Joker_232
11-13-2008, 11:11 PM

will he? do you know that for a FACT? did you prove that?

i dont believe you!

BamaFalcon59
11-13-2008, 11:19 PM
Macho Harris has carries some pop when he hits.

illmatic74
11-14-2008, 12:21 AM
Malcolm Jenkins is overall the best.

Joker_232
11-14-2008, 12:23 AM
Malcolm Jenkins is overall the best.

most definately....

although i do still think its funny how him and Laurenitis always just jump on top of the pile for the fun of it.

illmatic74
11-14-2008, 12:25 AM
most definately....

although i do still think its funny how him and Laurenitis always just jump on top of the pile for the fun of it.Because jumping on the pile is fun. Also most coaches preach 11 hats to the ball.

Joker_232
11-14-2008, 12:55 AM
Because jumping on the pile is fun. Also most coaches preach 11 hats to the ball.

haha i never said it wasnt fun. did it many times in my day. just said it was funny

Menardo75
11-14-2008, 01:19 AM
haha i never said it wasnt fun. did it many times in my dad. just said it was funny

You did it in your dad? wow I don't even wanna know.

Joker_232
11-14-2008, 01:23 AM
You did it in your dad? wow I don't even wanna know.

wow you would go there! thanks for that!

i repeat THANK YOU!

Menardo75
11-14-2008, 01:31 AM
wow you would go there! thanks for that!

i repeat THANK YOU!

Just sayin thats a little weird.

Joker_232
11-14-2008, 01:33 AM
Just sayin thats a little weird.

yeah....what can i say? im not *** but ill do ****

Solomon
11-14-2008, 10:55 AM
Lindley is pimp! After Malcolm Jenkins he's the best CB in CF

Awesome! I thought I was the only one on the Lindley bandwagon.

Turtlepower
11-14-2008, 11:06 AM
malcolm jenkins is the greatest db prospect of all time. im going to remember where i heard it first. to go along with james laurinitis. the greatest lb prospect of all time. the man whos gone from 6 4 255 4.4 to 6 1 230 4.7 in a single bound

So you think that Malcolm Jenkins is both the greatest CB of all-time, but he is also a bust as well as the fact that Lindley is better than him. And this is why you are fake as a poster.

Joker_232
11-14-2008, 12:55 PM
So you think that Malcolm Jenkins is both the greatest CB of all-time, but he is also a bust as well as the fact that Lindley is better than him. And this is why you are fake as a poster.

wow.....thats great.

leave it to him to do somethin like that though

awfullyquiet
11-14-2008, 03:25 PM

the first post is by far the most awesome of starheather's incompetence.

Mr. Stiller
11-14-2008, 03:27 PM
To me Harris has some of the best instincts for a corner from this crop. He makes plays on the ball. I think he has the athletism to play man, but would be great in zone because of how well he makes plays on the ball. Whoever gets him will be getting a bargin, his game will translate very well to the NFL.

I agree. Harris was a vicious hitter all last year, not quite as much as flowers, but still vicious nonetheless. I'd say as Flowers excelled in hard hits, Macho excels in ball-skills. He is very sudden on his break for an INT. I think a lot of the issue was this year is.. How many new guys starting on that defense?

They lost a DE, 3 DT's, 2 LB's, their CB+FS.. It can be hard to trust yourself to break on a ball when you're used to having another reliable hard hitting tackler behind you.

thenewfeature06
11-14-2008, 05:03 PM
darius butler..from uconn shows flashes of physicality

CashmoneyDrew
11-14-2008, 08:26 PM
Guys I think Starmythheatherbusta was actually being fesecious(sp?) when saying Malcolm Jenkins and JL were the greatest prospects at their positions of all-time. But he is indeed very hypocritical.

DoWnThEfiElD
11-15-2008, 10:24 AM
I agree. Harris was a vicious hitter all last year, not quite as much as flowers, but still vicious nonetheless. I'd say as Flowers excelled in hard hits, Macho excels in ball-skills. He is very sudden on his break for an INT. I think a lot of the issue was this year is.. How many new guys starting on that defense?

They lost a DE, 3 DT's, 2 LB's, their CB+FS.. It can be hard to trust yourself to break on a ball when you're used to having another reliable hard hitting tackler behind you.

Harris will translate very well to the NFL, especially if he can get on a good defense I think he can be a future pro-bowler.

Mr. Stiller
11-15-2008, 11:13 AM
Harris will translate very well to the NFL, especially if he can get on a good defense I think he can be a future pro-bowler.

Yeah he's definitely a corner i'm hoping Pittsburgh grabs.. I think he'd fit the mold of a Pitt corner perfectly.