PDA

View Full Version : 08 Hindsight First Round

MikeBaltimore12
11-14-2008, 02:42 PM
What would this look like with the information we now know about these guys?

Menardo75
11-14-2008, 02:46 PM
Still think its too early to do an accurate one.

Mr. Stiller
11-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Yeah you'd be better doing 2005-2006 at this point.. even 07 would still be a large stretch

Race for the Heisman
11-14-2008, 08:55 PM
Going based on what we have seen this far, which is obviously a very small sample size:

I don't remember exactly who was or wasn't preferred at each position for specific teams, so again, this is very rough:

1) Miami Dolphins - Matt Ryan
2) St. Louis Rams - Jake Long
3) Atlanta Falcons - Glenn Dorsey
4) Oakland Raiders - Chris Long
5) Kansas City Chiefs - Sedrick Ellis
6) New York Jets - Darren McFadden
7) New England (from San Francisco) - Jerod Mayo
8) Jacksonville Jaguars (from Baltimore) - Derrick Harvey
9) Cincinnati Bengals - Vernon Gholston
10) New Orleans - Keith Rivers
11) Buffalo Bills - Leodis McKelvin
12) Denver Broncos - Ryan Clady
13) Carolina Panthers - Jonathan Stewart
14) Chicago Bears - Brandon Albert
15) Detroit - Sam Baker
16) Arizona Cardinals - Antoine Cason
17) Kansas City (from Minnesota) - Joe Flacco
18) Baltimore Ravens (from Houston) - Eddie Royal
19) Carolina Panthers (from Philadelphia) - Jeff Otah
20) Tampa Bay Buccaneers - Aqib Talib
21) Atlanta Falcons (from Washington) - Chris Williams
22) Dallas Cowboys (from Cleveland) - Felix Jones
23) Pittsburgh Steelers - Gosder Cherilus
24) Tennessee Titans - Chris Johnson
25) Dallas Cowboys (from Seattle) - Mike Jenkins
26) Houston Texans (from Jacksonville through Baltimore) - Duane Brown
27) San Diego Chargers - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
28) Seattle Seahawks (from Dallas) - Rashard Mendenhall
29) San Francisco 49ers (from Indianapolis) - Mike Jenkins
30) New York Jets (from Green Bay) - Dustin Keller
New England Patriots - Forfeited
31) New York Giants - Kenny Phillips

Pokeys
11-14-2008, 09:01 PM
You have Mike Jenkins taken twice... Just an fyi.

jbooshey
11-14-2008, 09:20 PM
Going based on what we have seen this far, which is obviously a very small sample size:

I don't remember exactly who was or wasn't preferred at each position for specific teams, so again, this is very rough:

15) Detroit - Sam Baker

In hindsight...Chris Johnson would be taken MUCH earlier than 24th overall. I think Dustin Keller might go a bit earlier as well.

Malaka
11-14-2008, 09:58 PM
From what Gholston has done this year, he would be a late first rounder, he would definitely fall, he has 10 tackles and 0 sacks on the year I believe, really not good for a top ten pick.

CroomDawgs
11-14-2008, 10:33 PM
1) Miami Dolphins - Jake Long
2) St. Louis Rams - Chris Long
3) Atlanta Falcons - matt Ryan
4) Oakland Raiders - Chris Johnson

Thats prolly what the revised top 5 would be based off their play and teams needs (The way Pennington has played this year they would not need a QB and the rams need defensive help more than a QB, though ryan could work there) this year. You could argue Forte or Stewart could be plugged in for johnson as well

Burns336
11-14-2008, 10:40 PM
3) Atlanta Falcons - matt Ryan
4) Oakland Raiders - Chris Johnson

Thats prolly what the revised top 5 would be based off their play and teams needs (The way Pennington has played this year they would not need a QB and the rams need defensive help more than a QB, though ryan could work there) this year. You could argue Forte or Stewart could be plugged in for johnson as well

Stewart? May as well stick with McFadden.

thebow305
11-14-2008, 11:11 PM
We wouldn't take Ryan over Jake. I think Sparano would take Jake all over again. Henne is our QB of the future, he just hasn't been able to play because Pennington has been so successful. But Jake has been everything we drafted him for and more. He's playing at a Pro Bowl level right now.

STARHEATHER
11-14-2008, 11:42 PM
i dont know if im misreadxing this thread, but did i just see glenn dorsey still getting picfked 3rd overall? his stock is up?
1. joe flacco
2.matt ryan
3. ryan clady
4.chris johnson
5. jerrod mayo
have shown to be the real deal of the first rounders. jury out on many. many riding the dorseyville express to bustland

STARHEATHER
11-14-2008, 11:47 PM
im sorry, im sure jake long will be a good nfl tackle. im sure chad pennington looks like a nice thing right now but hes not taking you anywhere. but seriously. jake long ahead of ryan or flacco. relying on chad henne. i have no qualms with jake long. but drafting him before ryan was probably the biggest mistake of the draft outside of glenn dorsey and chris long in the top 5. whats the rule kids. you do n ot pass on a potential top end qb. its the most devastating mistake a front office can make in drafting.

Mr. Stiller
11-15-2008, 12:31 AM
im sorry, im sure jake long will be a good nfl tackle. im sure chad pennington looks like a nice thing right now but hes not taking you anywhere. but seriously. jake long ahead of ryan or flacco. relying on chad henne. i have no qualms with jake long. but drafting him before ryan was probably the biggest mistake of the draft outside of glenn dorsey and chris long in the top 5. whats the rule kids. you do n ot pass on a potential top end qb. its the most devastating mistake a front office can make in drafting.

Really further proving your absolute lack of Draft knowledge.

thebow305
11-15-2008, 12:42 AM

Or any knowledge of football at all for that matter.

It starts in the trenches my friend. The QB and running backs are only as good as that line in front of them. And to that end, we have solidified our team for years to come. Jake is as good a run blocker as you will find for an offensive tackle in this league and has shown much more in pass protection than we could have ever imagined. Ryan has been exceptional this year, but wasn't going to be our pick, I'm pretty sure Jake was all along and for good reason.

doingthisinsteadofwork
11-15-2008, 12:43 AM
Chris Long to Oakland doesn't make any sense.

Solomon
11-15-2008, 12:51 AM

Let's be fair, Scott Wright says the exact same thing ad nauseum and nobody here questions his draft knowledge.

Menardo75
11-15-2008, 12:56 AM

He is that good :)

Race for the Heisman
11-15-2008, 11:05 AM

Didn't catch that, I suppose I'd replace the second Mike Jenkins with Dwight Lowery.

In hindsight...Chris Johnson would be taken MUCH earlier than 24th overall. I think Dustin Keller might go a bit earlier as well.

I thought that as well, you know, when you consider a situation like this, I'm assuming a team has foresight of how a player played, not necessarily over how things will turn out in terms of injuries, which would obviously impact things as well. By the same token, I think a player's situation has some impact as well. I think Oakland, Cincinnati, Detroit, Arizona, Dallas, and Tennessee are the teams who would take Chris Johnson based on what they had been projected to do before the 2008 draft. For why not Oakland, see below. Cincinnati needed help in the trenches more than anything. If there's no top defensive tackle, Vernon Gholston is probably a better fit in a 4-3 and he's from Ohio State, which doesn't hurt when you're playing in Ohio. Detroit would like a running back but Flacco or Baker would be more valuable, and they got Kevin Smith in the third. Arizona got Tim Hightower late (although he'd probably be second rounder now), and Dallas I think would be more than happy with what they've gotten out of Felix Jones.

As for Keller, maybe, perhaps to Green Bay if didn't trade down they could be an option. I think for other teams, Atlanta has other priorities and so does Tampa. I'm not sure he deserves to go much higher than that.

Chris Long to Oakland doesn't make any sense.

Oakland have Michael Bush and Justin Fargas, who are not too shabby in their own right. Neither one is a franchise back, but I wouldn't take a running back in round one. Knowing Al Davis, he'd probably take Chris Johnson in that spot, but assuming they wouldn't pick a running back, it's too high for a wideout (Eddie Royal). Brandon Albert is probably the best pick, but even what he has shown so far isn't enough to convince me he'd go top 5. It's a tricky pick, balancing need and value, but the only argument against a defensive linemen was the money the Raiders had already put into a defensive line. Obviously with paying Javon Walker and DeAngelo Hall money is not an issue, so why not take Howie's son?

STARHEATHER
11-16-2008, 11:34 AM
it starts and ends at the qb position. good luck contending for a championship with chad henne/pennington. i hope that works out well for you. there are going to be several quality tackles vailable this year to pick from. so they could have gotten ryan and atill gotten a quality lt prospect. there are no ryan type talents available this year. i would tend to say that the lineman and the rbs and the entire team for that matter is only as good as the qb is as opposed to vice versa

CashmoneyDrew
11-16-2008, 12:00 PM
it starts and ends at the qb position.

No it doesn't. Otherwise the Bengals would be in the playoffs competing for championships. If you don't have anything in the trenches then you aren't going anywhere. I think I'll trust Bill Parcells' judgment just a little bit more than yours.

RaiderNation
11-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Oakland have Michael Bush and Justin Fargas, who are not too shabby in their own right. Neither one is a franchise back, but I wouldn't take a running back in round one. Knowing Al Davis, he'd probably take Chris Johnson in that spot, but assuming they wouldn't pick a running back, it's too high for a wideout (Eddie Royal). Brandon Albert is probably the best pick, but even what he has shown so far isn't enough to convince me he'd go top 5. It's a tricky pick, balancing need and value, but the only argument against a defensive linemen was the money the Raiders had already put into a defensive line. Obviously with paying Javon Walker and DeAngelo Hall money is not an issue, so why not take Howie's son?

A OT or DT

Zyro_1014
11-16-2008, 02:05 PM
it starts and ends at the qb position. good luck contending for a championship with chad henne/pennington. i hope that works out well for you. there are going to be several quality tackles vailable this year to pick from. so they could have gotten ryan and atill gotten a quality lt prospect. there are no ryan type talents available this year. i would tend to say that the lineman and the rbs and the entire team for that matter is only as good as the qb is as opposed to vice versa

qb cant do anything if the line isnt giving him time to throw the rock...

Race for the Heisman
11-16-2008, 02:15 PM
A OT or DT

Clady, Albert, or Ellis then?

bored of education
11-16-2008, 03:11 PM
Chiefs would have drafted Jerod

Solomon
11-16-2008, 04:22 PM
My redo of the first half of the draft:

3) Atlanta Falcons - Matt Ryan
4) Oakland Raiders - Ryan Clady
5) Kansas City Chiefs - Joe Flacco
7) New Orleans (from San Francisco) - Glenn Dorsey
8) Jacksonville Jaguars (from Baltimore) - Branden Albert
9) Cincinnati Bengals - Jerod Mayo
10) New England - Keith Rivers
11) Buffalo Bills - Vernon Gholston
12) Denver Broncos - Chris Johnson
13) Carolina Panthers - Sedrick Ellis
14) Chicago Bears - Sam Baker
15) Kansas City Chiefs - Curtis Lofton
16) Arizona Cardinals - Brandon Flowers

Solomon
11-16-2008, 04:28 PM

In professional sports, it's all about winning.

Last season the Phins were 1-15. This year after 10 games they are 6-4. Do you honestly think anyone in that front office would change much of what they did in the offseason?

Mr. Stiller
11-16-2008, 05:40 PM
My redo of the first half of the draft:

3) Atlanta Falcons - Matt Ryan
4) Oakland Raiders - Ryan Clady
5) Kansas City Chiefs - Joe Flacco
7) New Orleans (from San Francisco) - Glenn Dorsey
8) Jacksonville Jaguars (from Baltimore) - Branden Albert
9) Cincinnati Bengals - Jerod Mayo
10) New England - Keith Rivers
11) Buffalo Bills - Vernon Gholston
12) Denver Broncos - Chris Johnson
13) Carolina Panthers - Sedrick Ellis
14) Chicago Bears - Sam Baker
15) Kansas City Chiefs - Curtis Lofton
16) Arizona Cardinals - Brandon Flowers

I'm thinking St. Louis takes Ryan Clady,..

Solomon
11-16-2008, 07:27 PM
I'm thinking St. Louis takes Ryan Clady,..

You may be right, but Long certainly hasn't disappointed. He's improved a lot since game 1 and has shown signs that he can be a top DE in the league. St Louis isn't going to get much better in a year, they have many holes to address and the line was one of them. They should be in a good spot to take an OT this year.

As evidence that it is way too early to be having this thread, I think I just changed my mind about Arizona's pick. DRC played very well today, and has been starting the last few games with good results, his ceiling seems higher than Flowers and the Cards are probably quite happy with that pick.

STARHEATHER
11-16-2008, 07:32 PM
did you just say chris long is one of the top de in the league? the chris long led rams defense has given up 28 and 35 points respectively in the last two games. in the first half. chris long is terrible. hes losing snaps to james hall. terrible awful horrible bust. a never was. oh right didnt i call that? wheres i boldin to go back through those archives.

Solomon
11-16-2008, 07:40 PM
did you just say chris long is one of the top de in the league? the chris long led rams defense has given up 28 and 35 points respectively in the last two games. in the first half. chris long is terrible. hes losing snaps to james hall. terrible awful horrible bust. a never was. oh right didnt i call that? wheres i boldin to go back through those archives.

No, I said that he's shown signs that he can be a top end in the league. I can't believe you just called him a bust half way through his rookie year when he is leading all rookies with 4 sacks and leading all rookie linemen with 31 tackles and 25 solo tackles. He's certainly been the most productive rookie D-Linemen in the league, so does that mean every rookie D-Linemen will end up being busts? That's right, you've already proclaimed Dorsey a bust as well so in your opinion yes.

GB12
11-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Of course you did. You always get everything right. That's why you're one of the best members, sometimes I just take your opinions as facts because you're right so often.

STARHEATHER
11-16-2008, 08:37 PM
thats right thats why im the best. chris long shows no such potential to be a great de. he shows the potential to get owned. which is whats happening. just like i said it would

Bruce Banner
11-16-2008, 08:56 PM
thats right thats why im the best. chris long shows no such potential to be a great de. he shows the potential to get owned. which is whats happening. just like i said it would

For the sake of argument, can you give me an example of when you have been wrong?

Mr. Stiller
11-16-2008, 11:05 PM
Of course you did. You always get everything right. That's why you're one of the best members, sometimes I just take your opinions as facts because you're right so often.

Yeah, at this point in his rookie year Mario Williams was a bust too...

Long: 32 Tackles, 4 Sacks
Williams: 47 Tackles, 4.5 Sacks

Williams also didn't have to go through the Turmoil of a coach being fired his rookie season.

giantsfan
11-17-2008, 12:07 AM
For the sake of argument, can you give me an example of when you have been wrong?

Though shalt not question heather, it was on the third tablet.

STARHEATHER
11-18-2008, 07:21 PM
i didnt have chris johnson in my top 32. although i did have hiom as a rd 2. i guess i waswrong there.also vernon gholstin isnt blowing up the world but its early. but i did call bust on mcfadden, dorsey, c long, ellis and rivers. i dont think anyone else has that claim to fame

Loggerhead
11-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Where to start....... McFadden has turf toe on both feet and has looked good when on the field, Dorsey has been playing better lately, Long plays for the Rams and is still playing solid football, Ellis when on the field looks like a future stud, and Rivers was probably the DROTY before he got blowed up by Hines Ward.

illmatic74
11-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Where to start....... McFadden has turf toe on both feet and has looked good when on the field, Dorsey has been playing better lately, Long plays for the Rams and is still playing solid football, Ellis when on the field looks like a future stud, and Rivers was probably the DROTY before he got blowed up by Hines Ward.Doesn't matter what arguments you make. Starheather laughs at logic or intelligent analysis.

Loggerhead
11-18-2008, 08:14 PM
how dare you talk ***** about starheather. he is the next kiper.

STARHEATHER
11-18-2008, 10:01 PM
i dont kjnow how you can call giving up 35 points in one half two weeks in a row and getting 300 yards put up against you when youre the run stuffer as solid play. especially making 7 mil per yr

illmatic74
11-18-2008, 10:03 PM
i dont kjnow how you can call giving up 35 points in one half two weeks in a row and getting 300 yards put up against you when youre the run stuffer as solid play. especially making 7 mil per yrThe Ravens defense sucked Ray Lewis's first year.

Zyro_1014
11-18-2008, 10:04 PM
i dont kjnow how you can call giving up 35 points in one half two weeks in a row and getting 300 yards put up against you when youre the run stuffer as solid play. especially making 7 mil per yr

bro get it through your head....there is not one person in the NFL who can do it by himself. You are calling players busts because there TEAM is playing bad defense! what do you have to say about the other 10 guys on the field?

STARHEATHER
11-18-2008, 10:05 PM
well if you believe they are ray lewis type talents. thats lofty. is that what youre saying?

STARHEATHER
11-18-2008, 10:06 PM
theyre not making their teams better and theyre getting paid ab awful lot for their teams to be worse. unless you were expecting to be picking in the top 5 every year

Zyro_1014
11-18-2008, 10:10 PM
my frickin 7 year old brother has more knowledge of the draft and football than you do....good god

illmatic74
11-18-2008, 10:10 PM
well if you believe they are ray lewis type talents. thats lofty. is that what youre saying?I am not saying they are Ray Lewis good but if you were doing this back then you would say(bangs head against desk to imitate)ray lewis gave up 45 and 46 points. he misses all his tackles. he can't shed a block. should have been picked in the 6th round.

STARHEATHER
11-18-2008, 10:32 PM
do you think ray lewis misses tackles and canrt shed blocks. not too often i dont think.

illmatic74
11-18-2008, 10:34 PM
do you think ray lewis misses tackles and canrt shed blocks. not too often i dont think.He couldn't do that last year. Also I was imitating your ridiculous style.

STARHEATHER
11-18-2008, 10:36 PM
not very well

Zyro_1014
11-18-2008, 10:44 PM
not very well

he actually did very well in my opinion

LonghornsLegend
11-18-2008, 10:51 PM

15) Detroit - Sam Baker

In hindsight, in this scenario, we may end up taking Chris Johnson and DRC...Again who knows, maybe it's just my man-crush for CJ that is still brewing but he looks every bit as good as I thought he would be.

DRC looks like a star, and we may of wanted him more then Jenkins anyway had he been around.

Iamcanadian
11-19-2008, 01:41 AM

I cannot believe I'm agreeing with STARHEATHER but I have to admit that I think he is right on here. If he'd stick to these kind of statements, his level of respect would take a huge jump.
I really think Miami will regret passing on Ryan now that we have some hindsight.

STARHEATHER
11-19-2008, 08:13 PM
i say things liek this all the time. people just dont want to hear it. i dont know how many times for how many years qb first and foremost always do not pass on a potential top end qb. im a little bitter i didnt have flacco #2 skiddish on his 1-aa and getting beat out by tyler palko. im even more convinced than ive ever been. neither flacco nor ryan are the best prospects ever. but you dont have to be. you just have to be able to throw the football at the nfl level, have a bit of ability to evade and have the mental aptitude to handle the position. wso if a guy has the physical skills and looks like they potentially have the mental aptitude and can at least evade a bit not just be a statue i just dont see how you could pass unless you already had one.

summond822
11-20-2008, 02:16 PM
In hindsight Rashard Mendenhall would have been a wasted pick as he is on the IR this year. That wouldn't really lead to an improvement in our running game.

We probably should've taken someone like Desean Jackson or Steve Slaton.

SenorGato
11-20-2008, 03:32 PM
In hindsight Rashard Mendenhall would have been a wasted pick as he is on the IR this year. That wouldn't really lead to an improvement in our running game.

We probably should've taken someone like Desean Jackson or Steve Slaton.

Then you can just hindsight switch it back when he's doing well.