PDA

View Full Version : QB Jason Boltus, D3 Hartwick College

BeerBaron
11-14-2008, 02:48 PM
http://www.auburnpub.com/articles/2008/11/14/sports/sports04.txt

Very interesting if you ask me.....Being checked out by nearly every NFL team.

6'3 225, 4.7-second 40, benches 415 pounds and squats 500.

couple of key pieces of the article:

"In 2007, Boltus won the Melberger Award as the outstanding player in Division III. He was 237-of-443 for 3,986 yards and 38 touchdowns passing with 12 interceptions and also rushed for 418 yards and seven TDs, leading the Hawks to the NCAA playoffs for the first time."

"They come to see a player whose highlight tape shows him throwing a ball from the 25-yard line that hits a player's facemask in the far end zone, then ricochets off the crossbar and back out to the 20."

Think he has a shot in the late rounds?

illmatic74
11-14-2008, 03:13 PM
One of my friends plays on his team I hear a lot of good things about him.

BeerBaron
11-14-2008, 03:38 PM
One of my friends plays on his team I hear a lot of good things about him.

Thats cool. I'm surprised that with as many people as we have on the message board, that we don't get more that go to school with some college players or know them or something.

But yeah, thats cool. I'm kind of hoping he gets a shot now.

Cigaro
11-14-2008, 04:05 PM
I don't think anyone on this board has truly seen this kid, let alone seen enough of him to make a preliminary prediction on his draft status.

Just being a DIII prospect though, the chances he's drafted are highly unlikely.

Vikes99ej
11-14-2008, 04:08 PM
Are there any DIII players even in the NFL?

BeerBaron
11-14-2008, 04:11 PM

I think the Colts just drafted Pierre Garcon out of a dIII school last year

colts_fan8818
11-14-2008, 04:14 PM
This guy sounds like an intriguing prospect. He sounds like me might have a shot in one of the late rounds. Although the transition from DIII to the NFL is going to be rough.

BeerBaron
11-14-2008, 04:18 PM
This guy sounds like an intriguing prospect. He sounds like me might have a shot in one of the late rounds. Although the transition from DIII to the NFL is going to be rough.

I know the transition from DIII is even greater than this, but Joe Flacco went from 1-AA to playing competently for an NFL playoff caliber team.

I know you have to think about things like the defenses he faces being really untalented, but you also have to remember that the offensive players around him are DIII quality as well.

I'm not one who think that level of competition is a huge huge deal personally....a small one yes, but if a guy can play, a guy can play.

yo123
11-14-2008, 04:31 PM
I think the Colts just drafted Pierre Garcon out of a dIII school last year

Yeah Mount Union. He probably could have played D2 but there are no D2 schools in Ohio.

Menardo75
11-14-2008, 04:46 PM
Darren Sharper William and Marry. Is that a D-III school?

Vox Populi
11-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Pretty sure Coe College where Fred Jackson on the Bills went is a DIII school.

Cigaro
11-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Darren Sharper William and Marry. Is that a D-III school?

William and Mary is D-IAA.

Pretty sure Coe College where Fred Jackson on the Bills went is a DIII school.

Coe College is indeed DIII.

jbooshey
11-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Derek Stanley who recently scored a touchdown for the St. Louis Rams is from UW-Whitewater. Also, someone this last draft, drafted a kid from Wheaton I think...Wheaton was a team in my conference (I played for DIII Carthage College).

holt_bruce81
11-14-2008, 10:44 PM
He may get signed as an undrafted Free Agent, I don't think there's anyway a team drafts him unless he absolutely amazes at his pro day.

BamaFalcon59
11-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Brent Grimes- Shipensburg

Yes. Shipensburg.

ElectricEye
11-14-2008, 10:54 PM
"They come to see a player whose highlight tape shows him throwing a ball from the 25-yard line that hits a player's facemask in the far end zone, then ricochets off the crossbar and back out to the 20."

I doubt anyone here has assess to those tapes, but I would like to see that play at the very least, in for nothing more than the pure freakiness.

Menardo75
11-15-2008, 01:03 AM
Tyler Thigpen! Coastal Carolina

kwilk103
11-15-2008, 03:18 AM
london fletcher---john carrol university

owen schmitt (kinda)---freshman year wisconsin river falls where he rushed for 1000 yds; transferred to wv

illmatic74
11-15-2008, 06:57 AM
Hartwick is Division 2

Cigaro
11-15-2008, 08:35 AM

Big, big difference.

BeerBaron
11-15-2008, 12:11 PM
Hartwick is Division 2

not so:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hartwick_College

"Athletics: Name: Hawks; Division I: (men's soccer and women's water polo); Division III: all other teams"

princefielder28
11-15-2008, 12:23 PM

Derek Stanley of the Rams, who scored a couple of week ago, went to UW-Whitewater

M.O.T.H.
11-15-2008, 02:55 PM
D3 is pretty much high school football. My buddies D3 team would have gotten destroyed by our high school team.

themaninblack
11-15-2008, 05:19 PM
Pretty sure DeDe Dorsey is from either D3 or NAIA.

JLaw45
11-18-2008, 11:27 AM

Coastal Carolina is 1-AA/FCS.

Ward
11-18-2008, 11:31 AM
Pretty sure DeDe Dorsey is from either D3 or NAIA.

http://www.roflcat.com/images/cats/whut-ian.jpg

NY+Giants=NYG
11-18-2008, 11:33 AM
We played them last season.. Good school. We got beat.

BeerBaron
11-18-2008, 11:56 AM
Lindenwood where Dorsey went sure is NAIA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindenwood_University#Athletic_Teams

Ward
11-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Lindenwood where Dorsey went sure is NAIA

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lindenwood_University#Athletic_Teams

There's a whole world of NAIA football that I never knew existed. I am an incomplete man.

devinhester=R.O.Y 2006
11-18-2008, 12:14 PM
There's a whole world of NAIA football that I never knew existed. I am an incomplete man.

Carroll of Montana usually dominated NAIA football.

bored of education
11-18-2008, 06:03 PM
This guy might be as good as Tyler Thigpen. Maybe the Chiefs sign him as UDFA to groom under the greatness that is TYLER THIGPEN!

BeerBaron
11-18-2008, 06:09 PM
This guy might be as good as Tyler Thigpen. Maybe the Chiefs sign him as UDFA to groom under the greatness that is TYLER THIGPEN!

While they're at it they should just sign every non D-1A QB and let them duke it out, lol

bored of education
11-18-2008, 06:13 PM
While they're at it they should just sign every non D-1A QB and let them duke it out, lol

YES, great call. I will contact Clark Hunt to hire you as GM.

WinslowEdwards19
11-20-2008, 08:51 PM
Come on guys.. Nate Washington out of Tiffin University? Probably the smallest school player in the NFL.

Smokey Joe
11-20-2008, 09:48 PM
I can see why some people would play D-III, but it's beyond me why anyone would play in NAIA, unless they really love football but they suck at it.

The best player in the NFL currently to come out of a D-III school in London Fletcher, he's from John Carrol University. That's also where Don Shula and Josh McDaniels (Pats OC) went.

JLaw45
11-21-2008, 03:44 PM
I'll bet I can give you guys THE smallest school player still in the NFL and arguably a guy who might have been the biggest longshot to stick around at the onset of his career. Nate Washington isn't even close.

Ladies and genetlemen, I give you Casey Fitzsimmons!

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/6627/82886178kl9.jpg

I've always loved to follow small scholers, so this guy has been one of my favorite players. He made the Lions' roster undrafted in 2003 and has stuck around ever since. He's an H-Back with 5 total touchdown catches in his career. Good special teamer to. Where'd he come from?

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Carroll College!

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/3277/14282530498df14d33dfnr6.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carroll_College_(Montana)

Enrollment? A whopping 1400 students. That's almost half the size of tiffin. Yes, it is that small. Located in Helena, Montana. It is probably the most dominant NAIA football school.

draftnut1988
11-24-2008, 09:12 PM
He's playing in the East Coast Bowl

ljk2171
11-25-2008, 08:19 AM
D3 is pretty much high school football. My buddies D3 team would have gotten destroyed by our high school team.

This is a ridiculous statement. I played for a nationally ranked high school team then moved on to a top 20 division III team and you can't even compare the two. The high school team had 7-8 division 1/1AA players and still would have had their doors blown off, let's face it a 26 year old is competing with a 21 year old 99% of the time. I'm sure there are several top high school programs (Long Beach Poly, De LaSalle, Jenks, etc...) who would beat the newer DIII and some of the programs who only have 30-35 kids. But if you put them on the field with Mount Union, Wesley, or Trinity, they're going to get clobbered. It's kind of like the old top college team can beat the worst NFL team, it just wouldn't happen.

A lot of the colleges mentioned above like Shippensburg (D2), Coastal Carolina (D1AA) aren't D3, but I would venture to say there are at least 10-12 D3 players in the NFL. Off the top of my head Pierre Garcon, Fred Jackson, Matt Turk, Byron Westbrook, London Fletcher, Derek Stanley, and Nate Jackson.

M.O.T.H.
11-25-2008, 06:54 PM
This is a ridiculous statement. I played for a nationally ranked high school team then moved on to a top 20 division III team and you can't even compare the two. The high school team had 7-8 division 1/1AA players and still would have had their doors blown off, let's face it a 26 year old is competing with a 21 year old 99% of the time. I'm sure there are several top high school programs (Long Beach Poly, De LaSalle, Jenks, etc...) who would beat the newer DIII and some of the programs who only have 30-35 kids. But if you put them on the field with Mount Union, Wesley, or Trinity, they're going to get clobbered. It's kind of like the old top college team can beat the worst NFL team, it just wouldn't happen.

A lot of the colleges mentioned above like Shippensburg (D2), Coastal Carolina (D1AA) aren't D3, but I would venture to say there are at least 10-12 D3 players in the NFL. Off the top of my head Pierre Garcon, Fred Jackson, Matt Turk, Byron Westbrook, London Fletcher, Derek Stanley, and Nate Jackson.

Well, I wasnt speaking of the Mount Union's and Trinity's of the world...average D3 talent is poor. Most of those schools allow ANY player to play for them. Kids who never suit up or start in high school can just walk right on one of these schools, no problem. I have a good 20+ former teammates on D3 schools...some of which are starring at the level and were god awful players. No offense at all but, the average D3 school is barely a step up from a good-great High School team. I've made my rounds when I was player...visited D3, D2, 1-AA schools. I had zero interest in playing D3 football...Again, i wasnt talking d3 powerhouses some of which should be playing at higher levels, the schools that get some d1-aa run off, I was talking more so about the average D3 team. That consists of a few good players and a whole lot of kids that werent any good in high school. Division 3 has never impressed me and i have many current D3 players that would tend to agree w/ me. We've had many dicussions on the talent level...of course, they're playing on pretty average teams but, that is what i'm talking about here.

Smokey Joe
11-25-2008, 08:06 PM
NAIA is more comparable to high school football.

D-III, it depends on the team, and such. Like a Mount Union could easily be in D-IAA, IMO. But then you have some schools that don't have a lot of players, and just aren't that good. I'm getting recruited by some D-III schools right now, and none of them really appeal to me, as I want to go some place with top competition. I'm hoping the D-II schools start coming soon, and I still have hope to play at a D-IAA school.

BeerBaron
11-25-2008, 10:13 PM
I go to a D2 school and quite honestly.....the team is terrible. I think they just finished a 1-9 season or something asinine like that. They did get their first win since I think 06 though, lol.

Smokey Joe
11-25-2008, 10:20 PM
I go to a D2 school and quite honestly.....the team is terrible. I think they just finished a 1-9 season or something asinine like that. They did get their first win since I think 06 though, lol.
well, then there's crappy teams like that in all levels. I would bet Mount Union could be very competitive in the Sun-Belt conference. Then again, Mount Union has pretty much every D-I prospect that has been kicked out in the past couple of years...

BeerBaron
11-25-2008, 10:52 PM
well, then there's crappy teams like that in all levels. I would bet Mount Union could be very competitive in the Sun-Belt conference. Then again, Mount Union has pretty much every D-I prospect that has been kicked out in the past couple of years...

Yeah, I agree.....and I know a lot of people say this is impossible, but I would have taken the USC team of the Leinart-Bush-White-Jarrett-etc days over the current Lions.

So it even reaches the pros, lol

ljk2171
11-26-2008, 05:26 AM
Yeah, I agree.....and I know a lot of people say this is impossible, but I would have taken the USC team of the Leinart-Bush-White-Jarrett-etc days over the current Lions.

So it even reaches the pros, lol

Ummm.....they shouldn't have beaten Notre Dame, the Lions would have scored 70 on them.

ljk2171
11-26-2008, 05:40 AM
Well, I wasnt speaking of the Mount Union's and Trinity's of the world...average D3 talent is poor. Most of those schools allow ANY player to play for them. Kids who never suit up or start in high school can just walk right on one of these schools, no problem. I have a good 20+ former teammates on D3 schools...some of which are starring at the level and were god awful players. No offense at all but, the average D3 school is barely a step up from a good-great High School team. I've made my rounds when I was player...visited D3, D2, 1-AA schools. I had zero interest in playing D3 football...Again, i wasnt talking d3 powerhouses some of which should be playing at higher levels, the schools that get some d1-aa run off, I was talking more so about the average D3 team. That consists of a few good players and a whole lot of kids that werent any good in high school. Division 3 has never impressed me and i have many current D3 players that would tend to agree w/ me. We've had many dicussions on the talent level...of course, they're playing on pretty average teams but, that is what i'm talking about here.

I certainly agree with you to an extent, the Mount Ida's of the world currently aren't in a position to turn down players for whatever reason. Currently I coach at a slightly better than .500 high school team in one of the better leagues in Pennsylvania, which is one of the top states for high school football. And I can tell you that we have maybe 2-3 kids who could play at the Division 3 level, a few more could probably be on a roster at some of the lesser programs, but I doubt many would play.

Not to beat a deadhorse, but you can take a team like Widener which was 4-6 and have them play North Penn, which is rated #4 in the East by USA Today and I can tell you the game would be over long before half-time with Widener on top. Basically 99.9% of kids who were not good players in high school, they are not going to walk into even an average division 3 program and become a star or a starter.

thatguy97
12-03-2008, 10:33 PM
i watched all of Jason Boltus games he is nasty. he trows the ball a mile with accuracy and has great touch. i saw one pass he was running towards the side line and threw the the ball 40 yards across his body and hit the wr in stride it was amazing. and if u wanna see a work out freak watch this kid work out.

Awskeet44
12-07-2008, 09:55 PM
This kid is the real deal, I am a Hartwick Alum. He transferred to Hartwick after playing at I-A, or AA Albany. Now as far as the translation to the pro level I am sure it will be a pretty big shock and who knows how well he will do. However, with the dearth of Division 1 busts in the NFL and how hard up ALOT of teams are for QBs I wouldn't be suprised to see someone take a chance on a kid like Boltus - he has all the physical tools and I am pretty sure SOMEONE will give him a shot drafted or undrafted. You guys should see him play lacrosse, he was just as dominant if not more!

GBahDunka
12-07-2008, 10:00 PM
this guy is a lesser version of barrick nealy which couldnt make it pro

Hokie's#1
12-07-2008, 10:37 PM
I love Boltus. I hope he gets drafted in round 7. I've heard nothing but good things about him. Trust me he'll get his shot and if he doesn't succeed at least he got his shot. Also the Chiefs Andy Studebaker came from D3 Wheaton in Illinois.

Ward
12-08-2008, 06:31 PM
this guy is a lesser version of barrick nealy which couldnt make it pro

I don't really understand why Nealy wasn't cut out for the pros. From what I hear he made the mistake of agreeing to sign as a WR with the Vikings, and (of course) looked lost because they weren't going to take the time to teach him what he should be doing. I still think that if clowns like J.P. Losman and Tavaris Jackson and Chris Simms can make it, Nealy could have.

GBahDunka
12-08-2008, 06:35 PM
nealy was a straight up badass, he may of had more potential than vince young only because of his delivery was much smoother

TimD
12-08-2008, 06:39 PM
Thats cool. I'm surprised that with as many people as we have on the message board, that we don't get more that go to school with some college players or know them or something.

But yeah, thats cool. I'm kind of hoping he gets a shot now.

my roommates sister was lab partners with tim teabow and riley cooper her freshman year then they became friends haha

he just called her to tell her to get autographs for me. im more excited about cooper's cause he has awesome hair

BeerBaron
12-22-2008, 10:33 AM
Yes! Jason Boltus just accepted me as a friend on facebook, I'm happy, lol.

I'm really rooting for this guy now.....I hope he gets a real shot in the NFL somewhere, somehow.

nhhack
02-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Wow I find this thread MIND BLOWING!

I went to the same high school as Jason and went on a recuriting visit at Hartwick where I stayed with him. I saw him throw and workout. He is an animal!

He will be sure to impress on his pro day, watch his 40 time be 4.5's and bench reps over 35.

I feel he WILL be drafted and he will make a smooth transition. He is a very humble person and a great guy.

Smokey Joe
02-03-2009, 11:09 PM
I'm excited to see him at the combine. Right now, outside of the top 5, this QB class pretty much sucks.

BeerBaron
02-03-2009, 11:12 PM
I'm excited to see him at the combine. Right now, outside of the top 5, this QB class pretty much sucks.

Yeah, if your a team interested in a late round developmental type guy, it might be a good decision to take a flier on a guy as mad talented as Boltus could be instead of a Cullen Harper or Chase Daniel or someone like that who might be more limited long term.

MarioPalmer
02-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Derek Stanley who recently scored a touchdown for the St. Louis Rams is from UW-Whitewater. Also, someone this last draft, drafted a kid from Wheaton I think...Wheaton was a team in my conference (I played for DIII Carthage College).

Not only that, but Derek Stanley is going to be a very good returner, and he is getting better every year with his ability. He's progressing nicely and the Rams have let him progress with patience, he is a very good player. I like him alot.

colts_fan8818
02-04-2009, 12:27 AM
I wouldn't mind the Colts taking a late round flyer on the guy in one of the later rounds to develop behind Manning, and to be the backup as the thought of Sorgi starting if Manning goes down keeps me up at night.

edgrenade
02-17-2009, 04:16 PM
Come this weekend, we will all get a close look at Boltus at the combine. I'm pretty sure the majority, if not all, of us have never seen him play before. So this this is the first chance that we get to watch him.

BeerBaron
02-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Come this weekend, we will all get a close look at Boltus at the combine. I'm pretty sure the majority, if not all, of us have never seen him play before. So this this is the first chance that we get to watch him.

From the sounds of things, he'll blow up the physical aspects of the combine. Strong, good athleticism, big arm....he should look good there.

I'm interested in seeing if some of the various draft shows get any tape of him and decide to show it.

skinzzfan25
02-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Like somebody said, Byron Westbrook representing that Salisbury haha.

BeerBaron
06-02-2009, 03:41 PM
http://www.ticats.ca/article/tiger-cats-sign-qb-jason-boltus

Turns out he signed with the CFL's Hamilton Tiger Cats a few days ago. Was wondering what ever happened to him.